• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And thus was the greatest Tory defeat prior to 1997... One cannot help but feel sorry for Wellington and his slide into obscurity, but I suspect he just might make a comeback in the next update. Preferably a comeback involving either pistols or swords... or cannons, even. ;)

Also somewhat disappointed that you didn't show any fancy election results graphics :(

As great as he was on the battlefield, he was certainly somewhat tactless in politics. He will definitely get his one last hurrah, and might even get a few more shots at prominence further down the line. I can't promise anything, though – I haven't played too far ahead yet.

Oh, and:

cc4952dae2c0dccd2f4eea5448c1fed8_zpscafabdfc.jpg

:p

Great update, I'm always a sucker for a good political British history, especially one like yours.

Thanks UberGeek. Glad you're enjoying this.

that was an intresting update, I suck in history (especially political) of that time period (guess I was too busy with studying the Belgian revolution, and I forgot the other parts fo the world :D), so, this is very intresting for me, and of course well written.

We will be seeing some Belgian involvement further down the line, though I doubt I'll go into any depth about the Night at the Opera. Rosier might get a mention, though – Surlet de Chokier definitely will. Glad you liked the first few updates in any case, BR. Hope you enjoy the rest.

Thank you once again for your support. I'm hoping to get a good session of writing done this evening, so if not later, expect an update either tomorrow or Friday.

I appreciate the fact you not only took the trouble to make some (well, two) fancy parliamentary graphics simply because I asked you to, but also took the time to make a meme pic illustrating the fact! I tip my hat to you Densley, the fan's AuthAAR.

- Oh, and naturally I greatly appreciated your intentional misspelling of the surname of that blasted Belgian revolutionary Rogier. ;)

I appreciate the fact you not only took the trouble to make some (well, two) fancy parliamentary graphics simply because I asked you to, but also took the time to make a meme pic illustrating the fact! I tip my hat to you Densley, the fan's AuthAAR.

I also have on lined up for the post Reform Act elections, so that's three. ;)

- Oh, and naturally I greatly appreciated your intentional misspelling of the surname of that blasted Belgian revolutionary Rogier. ;)

That would be the iPad talking. I really should check things more thoroughly... ;)

Just one? You mean they aren't going to be a regular feature... :(

If I tell you that I have a saved, blank XCF file that I can use to easily create such a diagram in about five minutes, I'm sure you can induce their regularity. ;)

I found it unintentionally amusing, if not a little ill-fitting. :)

Well, there's something I didn't know. I'm just impressed that AutoCorrect picked "Rosier" over the decidedly more common "Roger".

I must inquire, either to the mighty Tanzhang or the Blair's of Densely, how do you conjure up the parliamentary graphics, so that perhaps I may utilize them within my own AAR (of which your insults towards France did provoke ;)

I must inquire, either to the mighty Tanzhang or the Blair's of Densely, how do you conjure up the parliamentary graphics, so that perhaps I may utilize them within my own AAR (of which your insults towards France did provoke ;)

If you want one similar to Densley's, you'll have to either ask him for the template or make your own. If you want one similar to what Tommy uses for his AAR, or would rather use a program to construct a template for you as opposed to creating your own, search for ADSvote (requires Java) on google. ;)

Essentially, all I did was create a row of 11 20x20 pixel squares and copy it until I had 658 'seats'. I then coloured them as required, and added various labels and such. If you want me to send you the template so you can have a closer look, feel free to ask.

In other news, I worked a lot faster than I expected, and made good progress. The next update is therefore incoming.

ABiographyofGreatMenBanner_zpse159fabf.jpg

The Days in May

After having been discussed, debated and decried for nearly two years, the Reform Bill had finally passed though the Commons – and in a resounding fashion, with a margin of over one-hundred votes. Essentially, the Reform Bill – formally titled the Representation of the People Act 1832 – completely restructured the electoral system in England and Wales. Notably, all "rotten boroughs"[1] – that is, a constituency with a franchise so small it is able to be controlled by the landlord – were to be abolished, and the franchise was to be extended, giving the vote to tenants of copyhold land, and that with a long-term lease (defined as being longer than sixty years) worth over £10. On top of this, leasehold land worth £50 or more, tenants paying the same sum in rent per annum, and male householders living in property worth at least £10 per annum would all enfranchised should the bill pass through the Lords – essentially creating a standardised electorate in each of the country's boroughs for the first time. Negotiating the Lords, however, was to prove a difficult task.

1dc8273a0ca9db4e74b564c842ab1495_zps3652b157.jpg

The first page of the Reform Bill.

An Escalating Matter

Prior to the elections of 1831, the bill had come up against fierce opposition even in the commons, though the election of a significant number of reformers meant that the act passed comfortably in the Commons with a margin of over one-hundred yea votes upon its resubmission by the Whigs. The ease with which the bill flew through the lower house, however, does not accurately portray the carnage of the Reform Crisis. Many people's reputations suffered because of the matter – Wellington being a notable example, whose unpopularity would lead the Tories to their worst election defeat in living memory, ironically allowing the Whigs to propose the bill a second time unhindered. No one's good standing suffered moreso, however, than that of the king himself.

William had, before the crisis, enjoyed the respect of his citizens, who saw him as diligent and humble. His handling of the crisis thus far, however, had seen him rebranded almost instantly as a tactless buffoon, who was fully under the control of his ministers. Indeed, even acts of celebration and ceremony could not placate naysayers. William was officially crowned King of the United Kingdom in a relatively meagrely coronation on the 8th September 1831. The king had initially not wanted any coronation, feeling that his wearing of the crown while after proroguing parliament had answered any need. Traditionalists were not impressed, and persuaded him otherwise. He was therefore crowned in a ceremony costing less than £30,000 – George IV's 1821 coronation had cost eight times that, of which £16,000 was used to hire the jewels alone. This did little to assuage the fears of the Tory traditionalists, who branded the affair as the "Half Crown-nation" and threatened the king with a boycott. William did not budge from his parsimonious position, even quipping that he anticipated a "greater convenience of room, and less heat" with their absence.

b912de39dbc0c135f29fd32c25cdb14a_zps6c1fcdfc.jpg

The coronation procession of King William IV and Queen Adelaide.

The celebrations – in all their dour glory – did little to aid the political situation in the country, and the atmosphere was tense upon the Reform Bill's arrival in the House of Lords. The Lords was known to foster a significant, anti-reformist – notably Tory – majority, and many waited with bated breath to see if this majority would openly defy public will and shoot the bill down. In light of the growing reformist sentiment in the nation, many speculated that many of the bill's opponents would simply abstain, rather than cause further unrest. Indeed, many Tory peers did refrain from voting when the time came. If one thing is assured in British politics, however, it is that nothing is ever so simple – especially passing a simple majority. The bill found unexpected opposition from the Lords Spiritual, who mustered in unusually large numbers and hammered the final nail into the act's coffin. Of the twenty-two present, twenty-one of the Lords Spiritual voted nay. The Reform bill had been defeated by a margin of forty-one votes.

The Lords' defiance of public will was not, however, without consequence. Upon news of the bill having failed reaching the outside world, public violence ensued. During the so-called "Reform Riots", angry crowds stormed ecclesiastical and mayoral palaces, private residences, and even prisons – with people in Derby freeing several inmates in the local jail. Grey knew that he had the advantage, and so set about bringing the act to the Commons once again. This time, though, it would be the rules of parliament itself that got in the way. Presenting the same bill to the House twice during the same session was prohibited, and so, once again, the cabinet were forced to act drastically. Upon the advice of the cabinet, the king once again prorogued parliament. With the opening of the new session in December, the ball was once again in Grey's court.

Grey proposed the Third Reform Bill early in 1832, the bill passing in March by an even greater majority than the previous year. The Lords knew that it would be politically naïve to reject the bill outright for a second time, and so set about planning other methods to block reform. Opponents of the bill in the upper house decided that they would amend the bill so that its essential character was gone. For a second time, the Lords had wrecked the bill. Grey's ministry, however, were not going to take defeat lying down. The government suggested that sufficient new peerages were created – and subsequently granted to reformers – so that the bill might pass. The creation of peerages, though, rested with William, who was loath to consider such a drastic step, and in doing so went against the unanimous advice of his cabinet. Faced with no other option, Grey resigned.

The Descent Into Chaos

With Grey's resignation, the king was forced to recall the Duke of Wellington – still deeply unpopular – to the premiership, inviting him to form a government. Lord Grey commented that Wellington was "a man who did not understand the character of the times", though the duke had promised moderate reform would be enacted during next term. As it would turn out, he would never get the chance to even moot such ideas.

Though the climate in parliament was volatile at best, out of parliament, the mood was hysterical. The "Reform Riots" had proven that popular support was with the Grey ministry and their bill. By the time Wellington was offered the chance to form a government, nothing had changed – if anything, the situation had even worsened. The influential and reformist Birmingham Political Union[2], described by The Times as "the barometer of reform feeling in the country", and lead by the equally influential Thomas Attwood – and a man described by social reformer Francis Place as "the most influential man in England" had long advocated electoral reform and an expansion of the franchise. They were well supported by members of Birmingham's middle and lower classes, who would notably benefit from the passing of the Reform Bill. Attwood was very much interested in keeping the Union's activities legal and non-violent, but was also aware of the potential power such a large, extra-parliamentary force had. Indeed, he often boasted of how the country could be mobilised in an hour should the need arise.

2e2af54517baeb1e02ac4c7290726edc_zpsc40f2d3f.jpg

Thomas Attwood, leader of the Birmingham Political Union.

Upon the news of the resignation of the Whig government reaching Birmingham, the Union spring into action. Protestors gathered in their masses – with one gathering of around two-hundred thousand people the largest ever seen – and signed petitions. Many even urged others not to pay taxes, and advocated a run on the banks – £1.5 million being withdrawn from the Bank of England alone to the cry of "Stop the Duke, Go for Gold!" Pro-reform unions even suggested that the Commons cut off supply to the Lords until they acquiesced. To many, the fear of an all out revolution was powerful – and very very real. Some even spoke of abolishing the nobility, and an even braver few of doing away with the monarchy itself. Indeed, any trace of the king's once infallible reputation amongst his subjects had disappeared, and his popularity reached an all-time low. Reports state that his carriage was frequently slung with mud during the crisis, and that he was hissed in public.

d1087af97f99084d9038802f8d2bc44f_zps5f108ca8.jpg

A cartoon depicting the Reform Crisis. William and Grey's Whigs sit atop the clouds as Britannia chases away the Tories.

Previously having discarded public support for the bill as insignificant, Wellington soon realised the gravity of the situation. After only five days of trying to form a government – all such attempts having been met with failure – he resigned on the 15th May 1832. William had no choice but to reinstate Grey and invite him to form a government, further promising to agree to the creation of the requisite number of new peers should the Lords remain problematic. It turns out, however, that such action would not be needed. Unbeknownst to his cabinet, the king had circulated letters amongst Tory members of the House encouraging them to desist from further opposition of the bill. Sufficient peers heeded their king's advice, and the bill passed – in its original form, receiving Royal Assent, and thereby becoming law, on the 7th June 1832. Those who had decried William's actions now blamed the influence of his brother and wife, and his popularity recovered. The crisis was over.

91037c313d7b5d730c2396af1b17432a_zpse42de646.jpg

The passing of the Reform Bill.

The Aftermath

Following the extensive electoral reforms enacted in the bill, parliament was dissolved on the 3rd December 1832. Once again, for the third successive year, the country – now with a much-enlarged franchise – would go to the polls.

It is hard to accurately discern what the true size of the electorate pre-reform was. The best estimates out the figure at about four-hundred thousand, though a lack of voter registration and many instances of seats not being contested at all make this liable to questioning. What is certain, however, is that the extension of the franchise was certainly extensive – an increase of 60% bringing the number of people with the vote to around six-hundred and fifty thousand.[3]

The parties largely went into the elections in the same fashion as those of the previous year, with the only real difference being that of Wellington's popularity – or rather, unpopularity – having taken a turn for the worse. It was therefore to be expected when, after one month of polling – between 8th December 1832 and the 8th January 1833 – Grey's Whigs were revealed to have pulled off a second victory. This time, it was one even more emphatic than that of 1831, with the Tories once again polling an all-time low – this time not even scraping 30% of the vote. The thiusands of newly-enfranchised voters had not forgotten the incumbent government, and repaid them in suitable fashion. On the back of his Great Reform, Grey and his ministry had prevailed, utterly trouncing Wellington and his Tories. Even Daniel O'Connell and his Irish Repeal party managed to strike a blow into the right wing, securing forty two seats across the country in what would be their first – and, as it turned out, final – electoral success.

11thParliament_zps274cb0fa.png

The 11th Parliament of the United Kingdom.

With the opening of the new parliament on the 29th January, a new, future was in store for the United Kingdom. For the first time in a good number of years, an election had not been wracked by too much controversy, and with a proven track record of reform, it seemed like the Earl Grey and his government would lead the nation into a period of greater personal freedom and liberty. As its everything in British politics, however, things are never so simple.

- – ~ • ~ – -

1: Perhaps the most notable such "rotten borough" was Old Sarum, where seven voters elected two MPs.
2: The Union were actually mainly concerned with currency reform, but campaigned for franchise matters via the logic that the latter would eventually lead to the former.
3: It should still be noted, however, that this was a relatively small figure. Roughly 95% of the population were still without the vote after the reforms.

Last edited:
This is well written and very interesting. I enjoy British history (this isn't history as such, but you get the idea). Good luck and I hope this AAR succeeds!

The Days in May

How many Days in May? :p

Well, if you assume that about half the population were women then yeah, it would only be a drop in the ocean. Even so, the Great Reform Act was an important milestone in British political history, not merely for extending the franchise but for helping to end rampant corruption in the British democratic process. I take it you're going to have to max out admin spending in order to have this reflected in game. :)

Anyway, onwards with the dueling!

This is well written and very interesting. I enjoy British history (this isn't history as such, but you get the idea). Good luck and I hope this AAR succeeds!

I'd say this is pretty historical. Everything I've described thus far did actually happen, after all. ;)

In any case, good to see you here The B. I hope to keep your attention and readership.

How many Days in May? :p

Five, to be exact. ;)

Well, if you assume that about half the population were women then yeah, it would only be a drop in the ocean. Even so, the Great Reform Act was an important milestone in British political history, not merely for extending the franchise but for helping to end rampant corruption in the British democratic process. I take it you're going to have to max out admin spending in order to have this reflected in game. :)

Anyway, onwards with the dueling!

Yeah. The intent was there, and as much as I admire Grey as a reformer, the Reform Bill was less about the franchise expansion and more about the actual electoral reform. That said, I'll leave it you your discretion whether you believe the focus on the former is down to the narrator's bias. ;)

As for maxing out admin spending, I will be, yes.

So as not to burn out too quickly, and also because of French homework, there will be no update tonight. I've started work on it, though, so expect the end of the prologue either tomorrow or Saturday.

You most certainly weren't lying when you said "there might be something interesting for [me] in the V2 forums" :D

Welcome, Gen – and might I say that I'm glad to hear that. ;) Naturally, I hope to keep your interest, and look forward to having you along for the ride.

In other news, the new update is well underway. I'm playing a bit further into the game for now, but I hope to have the prologue finished by tomorrow.

ABiographyofGreatMenBanner_zpse159fabf.jpg

A Duel on the Hustings

In August 1833, Grey and his ministry were still enjoying the comfort of the full support of the commons, and a smooth administration. The prime minister, who had occupied his position near-continuously since 1830, was known by now as a great reformer, having been the architect of the passing of the – somewhat aptly nicknamed – Great Reform Bill only the year before. The great Whig engine of reform had, however, slowed by the later summer. Over a year had passed since Grey's triumph, and it was beginning to look like, exhausted by their monumental victory – having extended the franchise by 60% and swept away the last archaic vestiges of electoral corruption – the Whigs were becoming increasingly conservative. With Grey himself, this much may have been true. An awareness that William was growing ever more against reform, and an apparent shift in his own personal views, had seen the prime minister shift noticeably towards the blue end of the political spectrum. This didn't mean he was completely done, however.

Am I not a Man?

Abolitionism had long been prevalent in Britain by the time Grey entered office. Since the time of the French Revolution, members of high and fashionable society had advocated the rights of the black slave. Indeed, Wedgewood's famous "Am I Not a Man And a Brother?" plate served[1] as a very prominent reminder of the fact. Equally, slave rebellions had been as common in the colonies as corpulent, sweating, inappropriately dressed members of the plantocracy growing ever richer from their cash crops. Never, though, had the two sentiments come together as effectively as during the short period known as the Baptist War.

In late 1831 – in political terms, aeons before Grey's reforms had been passed – stirrings in the West Indies, in particular, Jamaica, grew stronger. It had long been the case that 'native' (for, in truth, slaves were no more native to the colonies than you or I) preachers were given some sense of autonomy – notably as far as religious doctrine was concerned. The prevalent denomination amongst the slaves were the Baptists (who differ notably from the denominations practised by those back in metropolitan Britain in that greater doctrinal significance is placed on John the Baptist when compared with Jesus Christ) who, thanks to religious autonomy, were able to run their own chapels and appoint their own pastors and deacons – usually educated slaves, though one would find the occasional white missionary.

One such deacon was Samuel Sharpe, a black 'native' who had been allowed an education, and was therefore respected amongst his fellow slaves. Sharpe had long held the belief that emancipation was nigh. As with many other educated slaves, he was attuned to the abolitionist movements in London, and had full faith in the fact that King William would free all slaves in the colonies. Indeed, when Sharpe's deacon – a white missionary by the name of Thomas Burchell – returned from Britain after his Christmas holiday, Sharpe believed that he had returned with emancipation papers. Believing himself to be a free man, he organised a simple general strike aimed at crippling the rich plantation owners during the integral sugar harvest period. Many responded, and on Christmas Day 1831, slaves across Jamaica put down their tools.

As an educated reader, I'm sure I do not, therefore, need to tell you that 'simple' strike was nothing of the sort. It is a general rule in societies functioning via capitalist structures that owners do not like their workers striking. The plantocracy of Jamaica were no exception. Plantation owners struck back at the slaves, who in turn burnt crops. Within hours, Sharpe's strike had turned into an all out war.

ea7f1b2a33e588530da821acddd16626_zps68fb04f9.jpg

A sketch depicting Samuel Sharpe.

The Baptist War – named after the preachers who first organised the peaceful strike – lasted for the ten days between Christmas Day 1831 and the 4th January 1832. For this reason, and, indeed, due to the less than 'warlike' nature of the conflict, the affair is sometimes also known as the Christmas Rebellion. Rebellion is certainly a more accurate term, as, like so many others of the so-called wars that would erupt and then fizzle out after about a week, very little actual fighting – that is, as defined by the standards of the day; two more or less equally equipped sides fighting an honourable battle of tactical skill – occurred. Indeed, where conflict arose, neither were they equal nor honourable. In the ten days of fighting, only fourteen of the British garrison – under the command of the marvellously named Sir Willoughby Cotton –were killed, compared with over two-hundred slaves. Neither of these figures are particularly Earth-shattering, especially when it is taken into account that around sixty-thousand slaves rebelled, yet they serve to highlight the brutality with which 'native' rebellions were suppressed. The British Army were however, when compared to the plantocrats themselves, tame. On top of the two-hundred or so slaves killed during the actual fighting, anywhere between three-hundred and ten and three-hundred and forty further 'natives' fell victim to judicial executions, apparently taking varied and unorthodox forms. The threshold for execution was lowered, too – one man was executed for the theft of a pig; another, a cow.

This is not to say, nonetheless, that the members of the plantocracy were not at least somewhat justified in their actions – after all, it must be noted that what was initially a peaceful strike had completely ruined the lucrative sugar harvest, while the total value of property damage by slaves is estimated at around £1,150,000[2]. Despite this, even those at the time thought the colonials' actions somewhat extreme. Later that year, two parliamentary inquiries were conducted, the findings of which would contribute to Grey's last great hurrah: the abolition of slavery.

3c3710d8f731580922986ca7b01b49a5_zps92ebc031.jpg

The destruction of an estate during the Baptist War.

The Abolition of Slavery Act of 1833 was not nearly as contentious and controversial as Grey's last great reform. Whereas the Reform Bill took three separate parliaments to see it pass, the abolition of slavery, it seemed, was a more universally accepted. Indeed, twice before had parliament voted in favour of anti-slave trade laws – first in 1807 during the Ministry of All the Talents, and again in 1824, during the Tory Liverpool administration – and the idea of abolitionism had been popular for decades. There was even legal precedent: Lord Mansfield's ruling in the famous Somerset v Stewart case suggested that any slave to set foot on British soil is no longer a slave. He went on to say that "the state of slavery is of such a nature that it is incapable of being introduced on any reasons, moral or political". The Abolition of Slavery Act received Royal Assent on the 28th August 1833.

fdae6f0366c62064eaea16a62b30bcee_zps51845471.jpg

William Murray, the Earl of Mansfield.

A Great Man in His Time

Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey resigned from all political offices on the 16th July 1834. He had been prime minister for nearly four years, and his ministry – having survived Absolutist threats and general elections galore – was notable for its passing of two great reforms; that of the electoral system, and the abolition of slavery. It was for these feats that Grey would primarily be remembered – as a great reformer. Indeed, it was this aspect of his political nature that saw him move increasingly towards the blue end of the spectrum, wary of alienating a king who was, at best, only a moderate supporter of reform. In his later years, Grey grew into a true conservative statesman, arguing in September 1834 at the Grey Festival organised in his honour that further reform should be "according to the increased intelligence of the people, and the necessities of the times". He would go into a quiet, contented retirement at his estate, Howick, spending time with his dogs, his books, his family and criticising his successor – Viscount Melbourne – for associating with the 'radical' Daniel O'Connell.

The Resulting Duel

With Grey's departure from politics, the Whigs were left leaderless, and the country was left without a prime minister. The duty of appointing Grey's successor fell to William, who needed to pick a man acceptable to both himself and the Whig party at large – still the largest faction in the Commons. William decided on Grey's former Home Secretary William Lamb, the 2nd Viscount Melbourne. Lamb had been in politics for nearly twenty years, and was a noted centrist who favoured finding the middle ground, having worked with Canning and Goderich as well as Grey. Though he had largely remained relatively unknown whilst serving in the various cabinets[3], he was known as a competent administrator – notably being praised for his anti-alarmist handling of the Swing Riots of 1831.

Despite this, Melbourne hesitated greatly before taking up the position. He did not like the idea of the extra work brought on by the office of premier, but did not want to let his friends or his party down by refusing both Grey (who agreed with William that Melbourne would be a good man to allow to try and form a government) and the king. It is often said that it was his secretary, a man by the name of Tom Young, who finally convinced him, saying "Why, damn it all, such a position was never held by any Greek or Roman: and if it only lasts three months, it will be worth while to have been Prime Minister of England[4]". This convinced Melbourne, who accepted the king's offer readily and formed a government.

53260076a41a76005cf53184608e51ab_zps01b15b0d.jpg

William Lamb, the Viscount Melbourne.

But, as is the perennial theme of British politics, it was not so easy. William continued to oppose the Whigs' reforming ways, and, despite the fact that Melbourne was yet to actually reform anything, dismissed him in November, directly going against the will of the people. The leader of the Tories in the Commons, Sir Robert Peel – famous for having shaped the modern police force in the United Kingdom – was charged with the job of taking over and trying to form a government, the Duke of Wellington having already declined. Peel he was in Italy at the time of Melbourne's dismissal, and Wellington, leader of the Tories in the Lords, was therefore asked to form a caretaker government. The ministry lasted for three weeks, and passed without note. Peel returned in December and took over the running of the government from Wellington, who was allowed to remain as Secretary of Foreign Affairs. In returning to office, the new prime minister wished to distance himself from the "old Tories" such as Wellington and Knatchbull, publishing the so-called "Tamworth Manifesto", in which he accepts the Reform Act of 1832 and announces that he would pursue reform where grievances had arisen. Also notable is the fact that the Manifesto saw the Tory party officially become the Conservative party – a new, altogether more moderate representation of the United Kingdom's right wing. With his new Conservatives (still colloquially referred to as "Tories"[5])

e6a167cd1eaf696d05c81479bf2ff221_zps31c0c1d8.jpg

Sir Robert Peel, Bt.

Despite this, parliament was dissolved on the 29th, and elections were scheduled for January and February. The 1835 elections would be the first in the country for three years – a comparatively long time when compared to the three-in-three period of 1830-1832. Going into the hustings with a chip on his shoulder after his dismissal, Melbourne was keen to prove that the popular vote was still with the Whigs. Peel, on the other hand, was keen to increase his share of the Commons and try to break away from the accursed prospect of a minority government. Also notable was the fact that 1835 saw the new Conservative party contest an election for the first time. Daniel O'Connell of the Irish Repeal Party had by this time ceased contesting elections as leader of a separate party, and had instead joined with Melbourne and his Whigs in the hope of stopping Peel from obtaining a larger slice of the legislative cake. Battle lines were drawn, and the two parties each went on their respective campaign trails with much to prove.

Voting was scheduled for the month-long period between the 6th January and the 6th February, with each constituency (excepting Orkney and Shetland and the University constituencies) having declared by the 27th January. With three-hundred and seventy seats, Melbourne's Whigs had managed to hold onto their majority in the Commons, though went into the next parliament with a reduction in seats of nearly ten per cent. Peel, meanwhile, had managed to increase his standing in the Commons considerably, winning two-hundred and eighty-one seats – a swing of over thirteen per cent. Neither man, however, was to get the result he desired.

13thParliament_zps2859c45d.png

The 12th Parliament of the United Kingdom.

In spite of the Whigs' outright majority, Peel was given the chance to form a minority government, which he accepted. Melbourne, however, was not prepared to sit back idly and let this state of affairs continue to pass. He renewed his alliance with Daniel O'Connell, creating an alliance against any bills deemed unsavoury by the Whigs. He was successful, defeating Peel on many occasions. Indeed, Peel's ministry were only really successful in carrying out their promised reforms in the Church of England. Frustrated by a lack of progress, Peel resigned on the 8th April 1835. William had no choice but to cede to the will of the public, and Melbourne was reinstated as prime minister.

1: No pun intended.
2: About £52,000,000 today.
3: He had, however, achieved a degree of fame in 1812 when his wife, Lady Caroline Ponsonby, had a very public affair with Lord Byron.
4: Sic. Naturally, he means the United Kingdom.
5: From this point onwards, any reference to the Tories will be with regards to the Conservatives unless context implies otherwise. Toryism, meanwhile will refer to the absolutist principles of the old Tory party.​

Last edited:
Having had this AAR open in a tab for what seems like an age I've finally got round to reading it. I've not had a chance to read one of your AARs before but this has impressed me so far. Really looking forward to seeing your progress into the game. :)

Having had this AAR open in a tab for what seems like an age I've finally got round to reading it. I've not had a chance to read one of your AARs before but this has impressed me so far. Really looking forward to seeing your progress into the game. :)

I know the feeling! ;)

Thanks Tommy. Good to see you here, and I'm very glad you're enjoying the AAR thus far. I hope you enjoy the rest.

The next update (and first 'proper' update, if you like) is well underway, and I hope to finish it tomorrow – if not later. I'd also like to thank Tanzhang once again for bestowing upon me the Writer of the Week award. I do appreciate it very much – especially when the honourable mention went to an AAR only days old! ;)

Nice update, although I do disagree with your decision to merge the Repeal party with the Whigs. (oh and speaking of parliamentary graphics, the penultimate update's needs to be fixed. ;))

Naturally, I await the first "real" update with due anticipation, and my apologies also for not commenting sooner. :)

Woot finally caught up. Reading up to Peel and Melbourne and their difficulties and seeing so many elections from 1830-1835 it really is not so simple, in fact that is an understatement heh. Keep up the good work.

Nice update, although I do disagree with your decision to merge the Repeal party with the Whigs. (oh and speaking of parliamentary graphics, the penultimate update's needs to be fixed. ;))

Naturally, I await the first "real" update with due anticipation, and my apologies also for not commenting sooner. :)

Thanks for pointing that out. All fixed now.

As for the merging of the Whigs and the Repeal Party, sources I looked at differed. Everything I found on the election itself suggested that the Repeal Party didn't contest the election in 1835, though I later found that their MPs won around 40 seats. Other stuff I saw about the Peel government mentioned an 'alliance', which – coupled with an apparent lack of Repeal competition – I interpreted to mean their was a sort of informal merger. Nothing lasting, mind. I'm if a good mind to alter the diagram in some way to better represent this.

Woot finally caught up. Reading up to Peel and Melbourne and their difficulties and seeing so many elections from 1830-1835 it really is not so simple, in fact that is an understatement heh. Keep up the good work.

Yeah. Anyone who says politics is complex today in this country should take a look at the period surrounding the Reform Bill. Lots of controversial stuff went on, to be sure.

Thanks for commenting, Terra. I hope you enjoy the next few updates.