• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ricainfier

Second Lieutenant
26 Badges
Oct 17, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings III
This is my first AAR, I will hopefully be able to start the "storybook" updates soon. All suggestions and comments are welcome. The basic premise is that with the Edict of Toleration in 1787 and the 1790 law giving right of return, the vacuum in France caused by the falling of Napoleon and the fall of the restored Bourbons, the Huguenot diaspora saw an opportunity and returned to their native land. So the thousands of Huguenots who had fled to the Netherlands, Prussia, Switzerland, the UK, the USA, and South Africa returned. Fighting starts Huguenots win and thus we start my AAR. I will explain it all in more detail on the first story update. Also can anyone remind me how you save screen shots to the folder? Thanks.

Press F11 while playing, F12 gives you a world map screenshot.

What a positively delightful setup :D

Tanzhang: Thank you very much for the info.

Milites: Thanks, I thought so myself :D

thekonkoe/Pj Fallon: The in-game mechanics are not technically changed, but the world in which the game is played fundamentally changed. For a long time, France had been the champion of Catholicism in Europe. IRL the French invaded Honolulu when they felt Catholics were not being treated right by the Kingdom of Hawaii. When the game starts the Papal States are in the sphere of France. When France suddenly switches sides, it throws the make up of European balances and antagonisms. France has to ally itself with former archenemies: the UK or Prussia (the two greatest Protestant powers). France's old allies of course won't be so friendly and might try to return things to the way they were before. So it does make things interesting.

Tommy4ever: Glad to have you along.

Seek75: Happy to have you viewing as well

I'm still working out the kinks of modding the game to get it right at the beginning. I'll have the prologue up as soon as I can. I've thought about adding one of the color mods. Any suggestions?

thekonkoe/Pj Fallon: The in-game mechanics are not technically changed, but the world in which the game is played fundamentally changed. For a long time, France had been the champion of Catholicism in Europe. IRL the French invaded Honolulu when they felt Catholics were not being treated right by the Kingdom of Hawaii. When the game starts the Papal States are in the sphere of France. When France suddenly switches sides, it throws the make up of European balances and antagonisms. France has to ally itself with former archenemies: the UK or Prussia (the two greatest Protestant powers). France's old allies of course won't be so friendly and might try to return things to the way they were before. So it does make things interesting.

Not to mention French Intervention in Indochina was kick-started by Missionary interests and the mistreatment of Vietnamese Catholics. Sounds like a very interesting albeit not entirely original concept, I'll follow.

I'm still working out the kinks of modding the game to get it right at the beginning. I'll have the prologue up as soon as I can. I've thought about adding one of the color mods. Any suggestions?

Well, I have to recommend Alex's Map Improvement Package. I also recommend using it with the included Dark Parchment Overlay, it's what I use. :)

Mon dieu! But... But...

Well, actually, I have no complaints, even if is surprised to see this in motion. So long as customs like Fat Tuesday carry over, France can be whatever religion it likes. ;)

As a flagophile, I'd be positively thrilled if the possibility of a Protestant Cross emblazoned in the white centre of the French flag were on the tables. That said, I like the idea regardless, and perhaps you could script some events concerning the enmities and possible flare-ups between the new Protestant France and the Catholic Spain/Austria/Italy?

I seriously have been working on this while I've had the time. To wet y'alls appetite, I have a map of Huguenot France, AD 1836...
v2france1836.png

By ricainfier at 2010-12-31
Blue = France
Green = Allies

Last edited:
Prologue

1823 - France

Charles X, the restored Bourbon king of France, had a problem. The Bourbon Restoration was losing the support of the people. The king felt his grasp on power was falling, and the possibility of another revolution was not far from his mind. Charles X and his advisors came up with what they thought was a grand solution.

Charles X, King of France

The Edict of Toleration in 1787 and the 1790 Law of Return had brought a large influx of Huguenots into France. Not only that but a large group of Dixie Americans and Boers took advantage of their ancestry and moved to France seeing an opportunity to pursue a better life. Most of these new immigrants were better off than the majority of the French population. This caused tension that only seemed to grow more and more as the years went by. Several cities in the south of France eventually became majority Protestant in population. Marseille's population erupted during this immigration and became the first city to become majority Protestant. Ajaccio, Corsica and Bordeaux were not far behind. Brawls in streets and bars were becoming commonplace between the Catholics and Huguenots.

A common scene in taverns across France, such as this one in Montauban

The government decided to use this to their advantage. Charles passed the Edict of Heresy on the 1st of July 1823. The edict deemed any non-Catholic Christian service as illegal. Being Protestant wasn't a crime, but worshipping as one was. The King's advisors decided to first enforce this new law in Marseille. Charles gave this mission to Louis-Auguste-Victor, Count de Ghaisnes de Bourmont. Bourmont had fought with Napoleon but detrayed him turning to Louis XVIII. He was known for his royalist leanings and Charles felt he could trust the count with this important task. With a brigade of Parisian gendarmes, Bourmont headed towards Marseille from Paris.

Louis-Auguste-Victor, Count des Chaines de Bourmont

The gendarmes reached Marseille early in the morning on Sunday, August 23, 1823, St. Bartholomew's Day. Their mission was to shut down the Huguenot churches in the city. No one for sure knows exactly what happened next, but at one church, a scuffle occurred between some gendearmes and Huguenots that ended with shots being fired and several dead Huguenots. This in turn caused a multitude of people to start attacking the gendarmes, the Battle of Marseille had begun. Soon the whole city was up in arms against Bourmont. Bourmont and his men attempted to flee from the city in a mad dash for the countryside. Bourmont was shot in the temple and fell from his horse during his escape. Due to the shots coming from windows and rooftops, several other gendarmes suffered the same fate....the rise of a new France was commencing.

Battle of Marseille

More coming soon......

Last edited: