• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey what's this?

It coudln't possibly be a thread about a mod that I'm making in order to create an interactive AAR after this one's conclusion could it? No that would be ridiculous, surely.

Help me make my mod! :D

[disgruntled]Awwwww, i thought it was the highly anticipated Oldenburg update...[/disgruntled]
BTW go with the second flag.

[disgruntled]Awwwww, i thought it was the highly anticipated Oldenburg update...[/disgruntled]
BTW go with the second flag.

Grumble not longer!

I'm just uploading the pics for the Oldenburg update. ;)

I hope you'll be pleased - warning may contain sodomy in India and deflowered aristocrats in Germany. :D

The Rise of Oldenburg – The Tale of Ludwig of Holstein-Gottorp

ludwig-1.jpg

The rise of Oldenburg to the lofty ranks of the Great Powers was a phenomenon almost entirely fuelled by one of the greatest men of the 19th century, perhaps ever. Ludwig of Holstein-Gottorp.

Ludwig was born in 1830 as the second son of Grand Duke Augustus who had risen to control of Oldenburg the previous year. As the second son Ludwig’s education was more focussed on the arts and was not nearly as demanded as his elder brother yet from an early age it was clear that Ludwig was an exceptional individual. In 1841 Ludwig’s brother died and he became heir to the Duchy. From then on the Prince’s life started to develop fast.

In 1842, at the humble age of 12, he lost his virginity to his nanny by his early teens he had become an infamous scourge of the young daughters of the German nobility. At the same time he wrote extensively on philosophy, science and history. When he was 16 years old he married a fabulously wealthy heiress named Cecilia, impregnated her and then proceeded to sail away from Oldenburg with much of her and his father’s money without informing either.

Ludwig was desperate to get as far away from Oldenburg as possible and in late 1846 he arrived in British ruled Calcutta. Ludwig kept a stirringly detailed diary of his journeys in the East and according to him on his first day in India he used his position to gain an audience with the Governor of Calcutta but quickly growing bored of the dreary man he ‘’swept upon his daughter’’. The following day he left the city for pastures new.

bombay.jpg

He crossed India by train, foot, elephant and horse and in March 1847 arrived in Bombay. Here he lingered for well over a year and was unleashed to a whole new world of sensual delights. It was thinly concealed in his writings that the Prince did not lie exclusively with the women and girls of Bombay’s bathhouses. However even with every one of his desires of the flesh being fulfilled to the upmost Ludwig clearly desired something much greater and in 1848 he travelled North to the Sikh Empire of the Panjab. At the time the Maharaja Sher Singh’s Empire was being overrun by an invading army of Afghan tribesmen whilst he himself had neither the ability nor the desire to lead his men to victory. When the well spoken Ludwig arrived he somehow convinced the Maharaja that he was not only British (Singh was always eager to improve relations with India’s hegemon) but also a proven military commander (despite being just 18 and looking little older). The only clues Ludwig’s diary provides to why the Maharaja believed him are unashamedly boastful ‘’the Prince did leave his exulted host in awe’’.

maharajah-shere-singh.jpg

Luckily for Ludwig it turned out he was infact an even more capable military commander than he had claimed and between 1848 and 1852 he crushed the Afghan invasion of the Panjab, forced his way into Afghanistan taking the Khyber Pass and eventually putting a pro-Panjabi King on the Afghan throne. The Maharaja invited Ludwig to stay in Lahore but instead the Prince accepted a significant payment and left for the South.

In the Summer of 1852 the Prince arrived in the mighty state of Hyderabad in central India which was at the time inflamed in civil war. One claimant to the position of Nizam was Asah Jah (a powerful man in his 40s who Ludwig had first met in Bombay). Ludwig and Jah clearly had a close relationship and the young Prince quickly worked his way into the would be Nizam’s personal circle (and allegedly his bedchamber). In 1853 Ludwig started to command some of Jah’s armies and in 1855 he led Jah’s armies to a crushing victory over the rival Nizam. By 1856 the war was over – Asah Jah now ruled over one of the most valuable dominions on earth. As a reward the Prince was granted a stake in several large diamond mines.

Now 26 and fabulously wealthy Ludwig decided to return to Europe – by land. Crossing, lackadaisically, through India, Persia and the Ottoman Empire, leaving a trail of bastards in his wake, he arrived in Constantinople on Christmas Day 1857. There he was invited to a grand party for the leaving French ambassador. Ludwig, always one for a good party, got blindingly drunk and was chased out of Constantinople by armed police after making an uncouth pass at the daughter of the British ambassador before throwing a drink at the Crowned Prince of the Ottoman Empire.

Ottos_entry_in_Athens.jpg

Any enemy of the Turk is a friend of the Greek and in January 1858 an excited Ludwig arrived in Athens – a city he had admired since his earliest days. However the Athens the Prince observed was not the glorious classical city he had read of but a dilapidated town with nothing but pride in its past and grand monuments that were being picked apart by overly eager Western European tourists. Ludwig stayed in Athens for some time where he championed a fight for the city’s revival. Ludwig wrote what would later become the Greek national anthem, opened the Prince Ludwig School of Classics (the largest University in the Balkans to this day) and convinced the Greek government to end the practise of Western tourists taking pieces of Greek monuments home with them. In 1860 Ludwig finally moved on to Paris.

paris.jpg

Paris had for centuries been the centre of philosophical thought and artistic practise. IN 1860 the city was still buzzing with intellectual achievement and it did not take long for Ludwig to immerse himself in the Parisian intelligentsia. It was here in Paris where the Prince stayed until 1863 when his father finally died. Ludwig rushed to Oldenburg, after 17 years on the road during which he had seen some of the greatest sights of the world the Prince returned to his birth right – a ‘Grand’ Duchy of 12,000 souls.

LUDWIG.jpg

This was all to change. Ludwig did not have himself crowned Grand Duke but King of Oldenburg. Using the great wealth he had accumulated he founded the King Ludwig of Oldenburg School of Art, the King Ludwig of Oldenburg School of Philosophy and decided to begin the recruitment of an Oldenburger Army.

V2_70-1.gif

The results of Ludwig’s grand plans for Oldenburg were swift. In 1866, just three years into the new King’s reign, Oldenburg ascended to the ranks of the Great Powers. Not only were artists and great thinkers presented with state of the art facilities and subsidies from the King they also had the chance to meet and converse with Europe’s greatest celebrity. Ludwig, who had met and befriended many of the world’s leading artists and philosophers in Paris, frequently came down to both of his schools and talk with the great men who had come to his city. At the same time Ludwig’s palace became the greatest pilgrimage site for Europe’s lady aristocrats as the libertarian king kept an open minded view to marital relations (he never again slept with his wife after the first time when he was just 16).

470px-The_Scream.jpg

Perhaps the most famous piece of art to be produced by the Oldenburg masters was The Scream by Edvard Munch which ushered in the cultural movement known as Expressionism which was centred on the King Ludwig of Oldenburg School of Art. Ludwig himself contributed some of the finest poetry and paintings of this movement during the 1870s.

Karl_Marx_001.jpg

The most well known tenant of the King Ludwig of Oldenburg School of Philosophy was, without doubt, Karl Marx. Between 1876 and 1879 the father of Communism stayed in Oldenburg at a time when the Prussian government threatened to invade any German state that offered him asylum. However Marx left Oldenburg after getting into a personal argument with Ludwig over ideology (it is not hard to discover major points of divergence between Marx and the opulent King).

Whilst Ludwig pioneered the recruitment of a 3,000 man army of Germans from other, more oppressive, states (the Kingdom’s population was far too small to support an army of natives) he also constructed a mighty line of fortresses around his capital. By 1880 Oldenburg had gained a reputation as the ‘’Gibraltar of the North’’ there wasn’t an inland fortresses as impenetrable on earth.

Ludwig’s most politically important actions were those he undertook to resist Prussia in the German Confederation. When Prussia reconstructed the German Confederation in 1883 into what was essentially a system of vassals Ludwig was the only member of the Confederation to openly refuse the proposal when it was first put forward by Prussia. His impressive persuasive skills were quickly employed as both Bremen and Frankfurt (the latter being a symbolically important city to all pan-German movements) refused to join the new Confederation when it was formally introduced later that year.

When France invaded Germany in 1885 Ludwig’s anti-Prussian movement took a major hit as a wave of German nationalism swept the Germanic states. However Ludwig managed to preserve support for his cause and in 1886 (mid-way through the war with France) Saxony dropped out of the Confederation. Coincidently around the same time Ludwig began his longest lasting and most famous affair when he bedded Queen Caroline of Bavaria (much to the chagrin of her husband).

bismark2.jpg

The Prussian Chancellor Bismarck saw this as his great opportunity to deliver a crushing blow to the disruptive Oldenburgian threat. Prussia declared war on Oldenburg in 1886, in the midst of the war with France, and planned to invade via Hanover. However this act of aggression was not well received by the King of Hanover, another man bewitched by the enigmatic King of Oldenburg, Hanover exited the German Confederation (although it did not make peace with France) and refused Prussia access through its territory to Oldenburg. Bismarck was furious and deeply embarrassed – he ordered the small Prussian fleet to attack Oldenburg’s coastline. However in this too he was defeated when the British came out to threaten intervention if the Prussian fleet entered the Heligolian Bight. The British promised to use their garrison on Heligoland to sink the entire Prussian fleet if Oldenburg was threatened by sea.

The war with Prussia actually continued on until 1889, well after peace had been signed with France. Over this period the Prussian position amongst the German states started to become rather insecure as Ludwig rallied the Princes to his cause. In the end Prussia was humiliatingly forced to agree to a white peace with little Oldenburg – Bismarck did not survive this failure and was quickly forced out of office.

In 1890 the mighty King Ludwig of Oldenburg passed away, allegedly of a heart attack whilst in bed with Queen Caroline of Bavaria. To his only son, Augustus, he left a tiny Kingdom with great power across Germany and cultural influence across the world. However, unlike his father, Augustus was not a great man. A mediocre orator, an uninspired intellectual, a man uninterested in philosophy or art and without the voracious sexual appetite of his father. With a new King in power the question was could Oldenburg survive without the man who made it great?

Last edited:
"The Tale of Ludwig I Gary-Stu of Oldenburg"

:rofl:

Very funny.

Though I don't know where you get the population of 12,000 from.
According to the 1911 edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica the population of the state of Oldenburg was 337,478 in 1880.
:confused:

Anyway, I know this is mainly an Oldenburg AAR but could you tell us more about what is happening is Spain?

Take THAT, wussy Spanish kings! Yes, yes, so you've resurrected a moribund Spain and returned it to world power status, but let's be honest... It all pales into insignificance, compared to Ludwig's legendary exploits. What was it again that was said about Austin Powers? "Women want to be with him, men want to BE him?" Something like that, anyway. It seems an apt description for Ludwig as well. :)

A breezy diversion. Now that we have learned about the German Libertine, perhaps it's time to return to the Spanish liberals? Not nearly as epic (or sexually promiscuous), I grant you, but still, could be interesting too. ;)

"men want to BE him"
Ludwig and Jah clearly had a close relationship and the young Prince quickly worked his way into the would be Nizam’s personal circle (and allegedly his bedchamber)
No, thank you.

Excellent chapter, I actually wouldn't mind you doing an Oldenburg AAR after you're finished with this one.

I sense too much epic beardness!

Indeed.

:rofl:

Very funny.

Though I don't know where you get the population of 12,000 from.
According to the 1911 edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica the population of the state of Oldenburg was 337,478 in 1880.
:confused:

Anyway, I know this is mainly an Oldenburg AAR but could you tell us more about what is happening is Spain?

Sorry about the numbers. I typed Oldenburg into Wikipedia and saw some stats, I guess they must have been for the town rather than the Duchy. :p

I'm glad you enjoyed what must be a very rare occurence - an update dedicated to Oldenburg. :)

Oh yes. This AAR is a suitably epic story for a great kingdom, about how a place that had lost its past glory worked to gain it back.

...Also, there's bits about Carlist Spain. ;)

:)

Take THAT, wussy Spanish kings! Yes, yes, so you've resurrected a moribund Spain and returned it to world power status, but let's be honest... It all pales into insignificance, compared to Ludwig's legendary exploits. What was it again that was said about Austin Powers? "Women want to be with him, men want to BE him?" Something like that, anyway. It seems an apt description for Ludwig as well. :)

A breezy diversion. Now that we have learned about the German Libertine, perhaps it's time to return to the Spanish liberals? Not nearly as epic (or sexually promiscuous), I grant you, but still, could be interesting too. ;)

I think both women and men want to be with him. I did have quite a bit of fun making that update, but I did end up heavily self censoring myself after I went a bit too far at one point. :rofl:

No, thank you.

Excellent chapter, I actually wouldn't mind you doing an Oldenburg AAR after you're finished with this one.

Surely the fact he had lovers stretching from the Nizam of Hyderabad (one of the richest men on earth) to the Queen of Bavaria only makes him more epic?

I'msure you would enjoy an Oldenburg AAR, I'm not so sure I would. :p

Besides I've already settled on an idea for my next AAR. ;)

Anyway, in case you haven't figured it out my idea of Ludwig was heavily influenced by a program I watched about Lord Byron (an even more epic Libertine) the night before.

In the next update we'll be going back to Spain!

Indeed who needs a place in the sun when you can have a place in the bedchamber? :D

Ludwig is epic, you should introduce some decadent, old-aristocracy, liberal-loving, Ludwig-acquainted Spanish character to spice up Madrid and those boring Carlists :rofl:

Carlists? Boring?! Heresy! Where's the Inquisition when you need them?

Spain 1888-1900

Even in May 1888 Carlos VI’s regime remained blighted by the massacre of protesters on Bloody Sunday (1885). By this stage the Spanish army and navy were amongst the most powerful on earth and Carlos hoped to restore some degree of popularity in the same way that he had first secured his position – he would go to war.

The Kingdom of the Netherlands was in an alliance with Russia and was indeed within Russia’s sphere of influence. It would therefore be reasonable to expect that an attack on the Dutch East Indies would lead to war with Russia (something the confident Carlists had no fear of). Nothing more clearly showed the shift in international politics during the Carlist revival in Spain than Russia’s reaction to the Spanish declaration of war on the Netherlands in may 1888. Rather than stand up for its interests the once proud Tsarist regime cowered away at the prospect of losing its navy to the much more modern Spanish fleet. Not only did the Russians betray their alliance to the Dutch they even failed to resist when the Dutch started to tear apart their economic treaties with St Petersburg.

V2_177.gif

The war was surprisingly swift. Despite the East Indies being the focus of Spain’s territorial desires the war was almost entirely fought in the Netherlands themselves. At the start of June several armies (each 12,000 men strong) started to land around the mouth of the Rhine. Later that month the Dutch army was categorically smashed at Middelburg and by September Amsterdam was in Spanish hands whilst the Dutch were being driven into Gelre.

V2_178.gif

In November the Dutch finally surrendered and agreed to a re-ordering of the East Indies. Firstly the Dutch were forced to surrender all claims to Spanish territories in the East Indies (they had maintained claims to the Southern Philippines for centuries). Secondly the archipelago of small islands leading Westward from Timor and up to the native Sultanate of Bali were ceded to Portugal. These islands had batted back and forth between the Dutch and Portuguese throughout the 19th century but now the Dutch were forced to finally abandon the islands. Thirdly, and most importantly, the island of Java achieved its independence from the Netherlands. Java was turned into a Kingdom under the rule of Carlos’ second son Felipe and was admitted into the Madrid Pact. The loss of a resource rich Island of 4.24 million people struck a blow to the Dutch from which they would never recover and secured another large market for Spanish exports.

After the revolution in France during which the Monarchy was overthrown and the Second Republic established Spain had shifted its support from France to Prussia and from German disunity to the cause of German unification. This in turn had turned Oldenburg (the only real block to German unification) from a loveable nuisance to Prussia to an annoyance and a threat to Spanish territorial integrity (the new French Republic had not been shy to openly threaten the Spanish formal and informal Empire with war). Prussia had its hand tied, it had already been to war with Oldenburg (under the stewardship of its famed King Ludwig) and had been beaten. When the Prussians asked Carlos to solve their little problem the Spanish autocrat eagerly went to war.

V2_6xxxxx.gif

When the Spanish fleet ominously arrived on Oldenburg’s coast in May 1892 the Oldenburgian Army stood strongly at its shores, determined to resist. However when General Alfonso Villar started to land his 24,000 man army King Augustus, lacking the brazen confidence of his father but possessing of a little more common sense, fled inland to his father’s fortresses. This left Villar free to sack Oldenburg itself and steal the famed artworks of the Oldenburg masters. The Oldenburgian fortresses to the South proved to be a much more difficult problem to handle and between June 1892 and July 1893 they were besieged by Villar’s army. Over the course of the siege Villar lost 2,000 men whilst not even 100 Oldenburgian soldiers were killed. In the end Augustus ran out of food and sued for peace. Soon afterwards Austria overtook Oldenburg to become a Great Power.

V2_182.gif

During the early 1890s Spain started to expand rapidly into West Africa, taking advantage of the territory’s abundant resources and large populations who could buy Spain’s goods.

V2_183.gif

However during the same period Spanish archaeologists made some incredible finds in West Africa. Functioning Kingdoms had existed here for centuries and their craftsmanship, with gold in particular, soon became legendary in Europe as various artefacts streamed back to Madrid’s Museums.

Spain’s greed for land in Africa soon convinced the Kingdom’s Empire builders that the vast and populous Kingdom of Sokoto would make a marvellous addition to their Empire. The only problem was that Sokoto was in America’s Sphere of Influence and was indeed allied with the Republic. There was some fear over a Spanish-American War but confidence in the superiority of the more modern Spanish fleet (which by this stage boasted more Pre-Dreadnought Battleships than the United Kingdom) convinced the Carlist government to invade.

V2_34.gif

As was expected the Americans, like the Russians had with the Netherlands, betrayed their allies and left them to the Spaniards. The Battle of Zaria, the only major battle of the war, is one of the worst symbols of the European colonisation of Africa. A large Sokotan Army had attempted to ambush the army of General Herrera, thus defeating one of three Spanish armies engaged in the invasion at that time. However his ambush was bungled and after losing several thousand men in charges against lines of machineguns his started to withdraw in total disarray. Herrera then lunged forth and captured virtually all the African soldiers. Rather than release them of take them to prisoner of war camps Herrera ordered the summary execution of almost 30,000 men.

On September 18th 1898, following the destruction of the Sokotan capital, the Kingdom was annexed.

V2_MAP_SPA_190014_2.gif

A couple of years later, in 1900, the Spanish Empire reached its greatest extent since the collapse of the American Empire.

SpanishSoI1855-1.png

Spain’s informal Empire had also expanded significantly. In 1880 France and Russia had united to force Spain from the Sublime Porte. By 1891 Russia had been proven to be a paper tiger whilst France had lost interest in the Ottoman Empire. This left Spain free to establish economic and political dominance over a trimmed down Turkish state. Meanwhile in 1895 Franco-Spanish relations took another major nosedive when Brazil abandoned its previous patron – France – for the security of the Madrid Pact. It now had access to the other markets of Latin America which it had been increasingly blocked from by Madrid Pact tariffs.

V2_50.gif

Outwardly Spain was at the pinnacle of her power. Vastly more powerful in every field when compared to the Continental Powers (and the USA) whilst only narrowly behind Britain. However internally the nation had spent a decade on the verge of collapse. For how much longer would the traditionally liberal army stand between the people and their tyrant? For how much longer would the Spanish proletarians wilfully live in the second richest country on earth but endure conditions worse than anything else in Western Europe? For how much longer could the King deny his people freedom?

In response to the third question, I say an eternity!

You Bastard! I'll see Carlos hanged for this!

I'm a bit curious as to why you didn't take West Papua since you had the opportunity (you did say you were finished expanding the Eastern Empire, but still...), and why would you invade poor Oldenburg to serve another nation's ambitions is beyond me.

In response to the third question, I say an eternity!
Agreed! also reinstate the Inquisition...

It's time the Philippines becomes independent and Carlist/Tsarist in ideology.

Status
Not open for further replies.