• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cryptic. Many threads, but no clear picture just yet. I'm curious to learn more about this Eorhic.

And this storyteller is creeping me out

Cryptic. Many threads, but no clear picture just yet. I'm curious to learn more about this Eorhic.

He does seem to be a rather intrusive fellow.

You're reading this AAR, yes? Of course you are. All comfortable, in your living room? With your Lenovo laptop? How is your Diet Pepsi? And your blue underwear?

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This is actually giving me an impression of a weak and vulnerable society. A hotel suite, grand as it may be, is still temporary and merely rented oppulence, moving some book cases around may demonstrate Six has money to pay some movers, but also that Six lacks confidence and has to have familiar things around her.

Terrified staff not loyal retainers, figures too scared to use their own names and hiding behind numbers, staying in hotel rooms they can quickly flee rather than having a secure base. A group with money and perhaps a degree of power, but a fragile and insecure one that is hiding in the shadows not out of tactics but out of fear, whatever they may pretend to each other.

Reactions:
A few things that leaped out at me:

First, of course, was the drink. This is the second time that we've seen a drink coincide with the attempted recruitment of a new member -- the first one, of course, being the Professor. This has me thinking that the offer of "The Tonic," as I'll be labeling it from here on out is a standard part of their recruiting ritual. Of course, in each case so far drinking the Tonic has had two wildly different outcomes: The Professor drifted off into a seemingly painless oblivion, while here it has no obvious effect -- at least, not one readily apparent to the eye -- and the woman who imbibes it is fully capable of walking out under her own power. It could be that we're dealing with two different blends of Tonic, of course, or else the substance itself is capable of reacting to the imbiber's desire; you can never be too sure when dealing with the apparently supernatural. I'm reminded of things like the immortality-granting Fountain of Youth, as well as the quests of mystics and alchemists to isolate certain substances (aqua vitae, aqua regia, etc.) for their own esoteric purposes.

The next thing is all the language about sleep and dreams. Of course, dreams often appear in myths and supernatural fiction as a means of seeing things that cannot be seen with the mortal eye -- whether in another place, another time, or even another realm of existence entirely -- and also conveying messages or gaining knowledge or wisdom not readily available in the waking world. Dreaming is itself an inherently liminal experience, suspended between wakefulness and true sleep -- and "sleep" is often used as a metaphor for death. Even if there's no literal dream manipulation going on (which there very well might be), it's an apt metaphor; much as a dreamer exists in a world set apart from reality for the duration of their dreams, this society lives in its own reality which the "waking world" has no access to, though events from each may inconveniently intrude on the other at times.
These thoughts are far too deep for an AAR set against a computer game of alternative history written by a loser who has over 35k posts on an internet forum ...

Talking of Aqua Regia there is a wonderful little story invovling Aqua Regia best told, I think, by Professor Sir Martin Poliarkoff of the Period Table of Videos youtube channel

I will also says that dreams are endlessly fascinating to me personally if I only because I almost never remember mine.

Well more will come about Eohric.

And as for our dear Storyteller I am really not sure what he has done to deserve such opprobrium. I mean, the storyteller has provided entertainment, refreshment, and a comfy chair. Clearly your best interests are treasured in the storyteller's heart.

He does seem to be a rather intrusive fellow.

You're reading this AAR, yes? Of course you are. All comfortable, in your living room? With your Lenovo laptop? How is your Diet Pepsi? And your blue underwear?
:cool:

I am not sure what is going on but I know I want more. I want to know what is shrouded in this mystery.
I can answer that! Someone (ie me) trying to stay sane in this very trying times :)

More seriously, I am not seeking to obscure as much as slowly trying to build up a picture, one piece at a time. I hope the eventual picture is worth it, and that one does not get bored when it is done.

This is actually giving me an impression of a weak and vulnerable society. A hotel suite, grand as it may be, is still temporary and merely rented oppulence, moving some book cases around may demonstrate Six has money to pay some movers, but also that Six lacks confidence and has to have familiar things around her.

Terrified staff not loyal retainers, figures too scared to use their own names and hiding behind numbers, staying in hotel rooms they can quickly flee rather than having a secure base. A group with money and perhaps a degree of power, but a fragile and insecure one that is hiding in the shadows not out of tactics but out of fear, whatever they may pretend to each other.
In an earlier reply to someone something about how I believed a society obsessed with secrety would be intrinsically nasty, on some level. Likewise I also think it would be intrinsically vulnerable. He's not the best example, but as I have only recently watched The Death of Stalin (which I very much enjoyed) he is to mind - Beria was one of the most powerful men in Russia in January 1953. Twelve months later naught but ashes.

All
So the 1.9.3 update appears not have to have broken the game I have going for this, for which I am most grateful as I am collecting all sorts of interesting trivia which may (or may not) surface as this AAR progresses.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Just catching up with the last two episodes after a couple of days mainly away from the forum doing other stuff.
written by a loser legend and doyen who has over 35k posts on an internet forum
I have edited this quote for factual accuracy :)
And as for our dear Storyteller I am really not sure what he has done to deserve such opprobrium. I mean, the storyteller has provided entertainment, refreshment, and a comfy chair. Clearly your best interests are treasured in the storyteller's heart.
Always beware the comfy chair. “You know you want to relax. Let down your guard. Drink this tasty tonic. Allow me into your mind ... whoops, too late, I have you now!”
The Death of Stalin
It was a hoot. Half expected Leslie Nielsen to appear at some point! :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
First, I agree with @Bullfilter wholeheartedly :D

And that was a rather fascinating video. I especially appreciate the tale about the Nobel prize winners and the clever trick they used to hide their medals in plain sight -- always enjoy learning something new.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Another piece of the puzzle. Still rapt to see what picture emerges.

Whew! There's a lot going on here. I can't wait to find out more.

Out of curiosity is this AAR inspired by World of Darkness? It has that feel.

In any case, you've really created something special here, and it gives me great pleasure to tell you that it's earned this week's Weekly AAR Showcase. Congratulations!

Reactions:
What the heck is going on?

Excellent writing @stnylan, as others have said very oblique but fascinating. Most of the fun is reading the story but the various theories and suggestions of my fellow readers only shows how intriguing this all is.

This made me chuckle but then made me think:

He takes me seriously. “Have you ever considered that maybe you are right, and everyone else is wrong?”

“Frequently,” I murmur

It's first person so there's the possibility the satrap is just so arrogant he doesn't realise Sir Anthony is making a joke, but then maybe he commands such respect and deference that it was a sincere (if toady-ish) sentiment?

Also satrap; is he perhaps a colonial governor? Indian Viceroy? Or just the regional officer for a sinister conspiracy? (Not that these things are mutually exclusive)

Its very difficult to maintain such mystery without ultimately annoying the reader but you've managed superbly so far. Very much looking forward to more and a well earned Showcase.

So I had hoped to make a post tonight. Unfortunately this afternoon I started to experience a rather dramatic and negative mood swing, which has killed off all my enthusiasm for anything right now, so I don't think it is going to happen.

I hope to get that up, and respond to comments, early in the week.

Last edited:
Be well, @stnylan. We’ll all be here when you’re ready.

Seconding this. Take whatever time and whatever measures you need to relax and recuperate. I know it sounds trite, but your own well-being always comes first.

I appreciate altruism is an unusual activity, but is it so unusual as to merit such suspicion? The storyteller looks after you, keeps you entertained. The storyteller is your friend.

The storyteller is probably only friends with the likes of Kelebek. Reality warpers and consent do not go hand in hand.

Anyways, I think prudent skepticism of any narrator is wise - but then I love the historiography if anything more than the history, so ...

Quite. Honestly some of the best AARs I've read had incredibly characterful and unreliable narrators. Everyone seems to love those guys.

No need for any exists when you have a very comfy chair

It is very difficult to accept a mystical or mysterious power constantly threatening people with a comfy chair when one is British.

A celebration at the turning of the year,

Hang, on...is this?

Men who had stood and fought in clamour and fury of battle and had not turned tail now quivered in fear as before them this crowd seemed to transform into an angry, vengeful mob, hellbent on their extermination. The crowd cried exclamations of affirmation in their native tongue: a harsh, strange sound for the soldiers who only heard screams of retribution. Violent men, they reacted with bow, blade, and fire. And thus, the day that dawned lovely and bright, and full of good intentions ended; and the heavily setting sun dying in the west ensanguined the skies to match the flames from the buildings set alight - a pyre for of all the hopes that went before, and thus ended the remorseful day.

The Christmas Day corniation of William of Normandy. Turned into quite the massacre when his troops burnt the church down and killed most of the crowd. Soldiers are always so twitch. Napoleons men also did this when he spoke in front of the assembly.

I had an old school Contents Page. The upgrade changed the address system enough that none of the links work any more. My dislike and mistrust of Sweden has rarely felt more justified.

Aw piss, does that mean everyone's content page is broken now? Albion was so bloody intricate...

I'm not quite as pleased as you to see the Threadmarks return, but it is certainly a positive sign. ;)

On the aesthetics, that is at least something that can be changed without relying on Paradox. I've managed to get it back to looking like the attached below and I'm sure people who have an eye for such things (and know more CSS than just a quick google) can and will do much better.

View attachment 572950

I see even though I was absent from the thread, my presence was felt.

Professor Sir Henry Cannerby made a small gasp, and then recognised his visitor.

This gives me Lord Hassan nostalgia. Ah, when the CKII thread was filled with absurdly overtitled academics.

It did not take long for the Professor to drift off. At the very end Martin knelt beside the dying man and saw a flicker of intelligence still there. “Professor Sir,” he said quietly, “you made the right choice.” There was some recognition, and then the eyelids closed. The breathing grew heavier, erratic, and stopped. Martin waited a moment, and sought the pulse. Nothing.

Interesting. Some humanity remains. Or self awareness perhaps.

A choice so tempting but terrible that death was the best alternative. And the Professor forgot Rule 1 when dealing with the henchmen of Mephistophelean characters: don’t let them mix your drink for you! :D

Rule 1 in dealing with the devil is everything is a lie. Everything I see a trick. By summoning it, you've pretty much damned yourself to being deceived and we're foolish for even trying to get something out of it. It's much like summoning Death, it can only end badly for you.

Or perhaps the Professor was well aware of who he was dealing with and correctly realised a poisoned drink was the least of his concerns!

Quite.

The right choice, when it is death, one must wonder what the wrong choice entails.

Damnation.

I know we're all leaning vampires but as a devotee of roleplaying games (the pencil and dice kind!) there also seemed a streak of Call of Cthulhu here. That might be the period setting though!

Vampires are better minions than true villains. Or better tragedies rather. Eldrtiich abominations are the true horror enemy of humanity, save for themselves of course.

It is a poisoned offer, of course. Any such offer from me is

And excellent line.

This may well be for me because the automatic connatations of Rupert are (a) Rupert Bear, and (b) British army slang.

Hah! Yes.

Glitterhoof?

Definetly a damnable demonic deviant.

The fact Albert and the Lord can have a long running disagreement about things as fundamental as freedom, service and obligation does suggest the Lord doesn't demand sycophancy from his underlings and allows them to speak their mind (though I'm sure there are limits on that). This makes him a great deal more dangerous than the typical standard issue villain.

Not necessarily. He could be arrogant enough to believe he's always right and patient enough to believe he will succeed in convincing any naysayers eventually. Though, yes, that does raise him quite above most villains.

he knew he had not been punished. He had not been forgotten. His Master had known he would be needed, just not when, and wanted to keep him close. It all made sense.

Urge, what a hard hitting demonstration of the cult. Even if this, as it certainly seems, is the acult at work.

So he and his fellow 'thralls' are out and about in daytime. The contrast between his evident delight in serving and pleasing his Master and his advice to avoid it seems interesting.

Yes, it seems rather like any serious intelligence agency, spy ring or terrorist cell. Everyone involved, even the true believers, don't really like what they do much.

I like Dara. I hope one night I don’t have to kill him.

Another banger of a line.

It is also interesting that so far nobody is thankful for the chance to work with/in/for the Family after they find out what it actually involves. Lots of regret, a certain amount of pride at how well they are doing a certain task, but no-one really enjoying their work and being grateful for it.

In an earlier reply to someone something about how I believed a society obsessed with secrety would be intrinsically nasty, on some level. Likewise I also think it would be intrinsically vulnerable. He's not the best example, but as I have only recently watched The Death of Stalin (which I very much enjoyed) he is to mind - Beria was one of the most powerful men in Russia in January 1953. Twelve months later naught but ashes.

Yes I think this is the case. All mascerades, unless they are upheld by literal gods, are intently vulnerable at the end of the day. Such a colossal falsehood collapses in the face of any interest or evidence, and requires such absurd amounts of work to maintain that it really enchains anyone involved into doing everything and anything in their power to do so. They are all slaves to the process, even and despite their power.

One word answer: Yes :)

Short text answer: Yes. I did a lot of vtm and vda at uni. The world I am portraying here is an “inspired by” rather than a “canon” version of World in Darkness.

Picture answer:
c5pVatw.jpg
GGLdjHU.jpg

Long Text answer: (quite self-indulgent, perhaps only of interest to those interested in the ttrpg, or of no interest at all):

When I was at university I did a lot of tabletop rpg, got drawn into Vampire the Masquerade through a group that had a long-running homebrew LARP system running, ran a couple of short and one rather lengthy “Dark Age” (ie mediaeval) tabletop campaign, and yes … the above pictures show the result.

My original HoI2 AAR idea, of which I have already mentioned, had two elements. One was baseball, and VtM was going to be the other. I think it was a good idea, but it never got beyond being an idea. Also I was losing the thread. Moving had stopped me gaming, and I didn’t like the concept of what is now called the Chronicles of Darkness line of games.

Then a few years ago I started to get the vampire-bug again. I’ve slowly been acquiring a mixture of second hand and digital copies (mostly from Drive Thru RPG). Nothing 5th Edition, because just like with CoD the re-envisioning of the game doesn’t work for me. Unfortunately no actual gaming, so I started to turn to AAR thoughts once again. I was thinking of a CK2 campaign, but I also had some HoI4 campaigns I wanted to do. Not from the point of view of people always directly involved in events, but as a background. Eventually - and it is ridiculous how long it took, I did the obvious and fused the two together.

Of course, these days Paradox actually owns White Wolf and this entire IP, which makes a slightly meta echo.

One of the aspects of the White Wolf line of games that I especially liked was what was frequently called The Golden Rule. Essentially it ran like this: play your game your way. They set out the “official” version, but in so many places in their sourcebooks they encouraged people to build on and alter the official products.

And so I have done. This is very much based on the World of Darkness, but it is my World of Darkness, if that makes sense. There are canon characters and circumstances (we have already encountered a few), but there are also changes. There are some choices and parts of White Wolf’s world design that I am personally not so enamoured with, and some areas I thought were lost opportunities. This AAR is a chance for me to explore, develop, and indulge some of these ideas.

However, I also wanted to try and think carefully about the perspective of this world. As a table-top player one tends to discuss things slightly mechanically, or in an overtly affected manner (I suspect I would do a better job now at 40 than I did at 20, but I am sure I would still do it). Indeed, it is unavoidable to some extent when describing actions, or relying on dice rolls to resolve certain actions. Our characters are reduced to a sequence of words and numbers (or dots for most World of Darkness games) on a character sheet.

In “real life” however there are a whole raft of structural aspects of our lives that hardly get mentioned in most conversations, because the people involved in those conversations know them. Also, both in real life and within this world, people are often operating under various states of ignorance; or where they have knowledge it is limited, partial, misleading, and very possibly false. Between these two facets it allows a writer the opportunity to slowly reveal the world.

The point is revelation of the world, not concealment after all :)

Going forward will happily discuss any questions about all of this as they crop up in the course of the story, though I may defer some to a more appropriate point of course. Equally, if no one is interested I won’t be offended :)

Does any of this really matter? Probably not, I am sure. But I decided some time ago that once someone asked the direct question I wanted to give a full answer if, I realise, a somewhat rambly one.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Just catching up with the last two episodes after a couple of days mainly away from the forum doing other stuff.
I have edited this quote for factual accuracy :)
My friend, you are too kind.

Always beware the comfy chair. “You know you want to relax. Let down your guard. Drink this tasty tonic. Allow me into your mind ... whoops, too late, I have you now!”
He just wants to tell some stories.

It was a hoot. Half expected Leslie Nielsen to appear at some point! :D
I must confess I actually had to look up who Leslie Nielsen was :D

First, I agree with @Bullfilter wholeheartedly :D

And that was a rather fascinating video. I especially appreciate the tale about the Nobel prize winners and the clever trick they used to hide their medals in plain sight -- always enjoy learning something new.
Very interesting video indeed!

That whole youtube channel is full of fascinating tidbits, as are the associated channels (Ojectivity, Sixty Symbols, Numberphile, et al)

Another piece of the puzzle. Still rapt to see what picture emerges.
:)

Whew! There's a lot going on here. I can't wait to find out more.

In any case, you've really created something special here, and it gives me great pleasure to tell you that it's earned this week's Weekly AAR Showcase. Congratulations!
Thank you very much, and see above.

What the heck is going on?
Well, in the strictest sense of an answer I decided to write an AAR fusing two of my all-time favourite entertainments :)

Excellent writing @stnylan, as others have said very oblique but fascinating. Most of the fun is reading the story but the various theories and suggestions of my fellow readers only shows how intriguing this all is.

This made me chuckle but then made me think:

It's first person so there's the possibility the satrap is just so arrogant he doesn't realise Sir Anthony is making a joke, but then maybe he commands such respect and deference that it was a sincere (if toady-ish) sentiment?

Also satrap; is he perhaps a colonial governor? Indian Viceroy? Or just the regional officer for a sinister conspiracy? (Not that these things are mutually exclusive)

Its very difficult to maintain such mystery without ultimately annoying the reader but you've managed superbly so far. Very much looking forward to more and a well earned Showcase.
Thank you very much Jape.

The use of the word satrap is, I admit, a bit odd. But sometimes words do get recycled and have their meanings twisted.

Seconding this. Take whatever time and whatever measures you need to relax and recuperate. I know it sounds trite, but your own well-being always comes first.
Take care.
Thank you all. One thing I have tried to promise myself is not to try and conceal as much as I have hitherto in my life when I am beset. This is for two reasons.
1) Entirely selfishly - because if I need help, people need to know that I need help. Or to put it another way, the black dog wants us to suffer in silence. I don't want to listen to its bark anymore, and whilist I don't always manage it, then I did.

2) Because the only way to break down the taboos and stigmas around mental health is to be open about it.

The storyteller is probably only friends with the likes of Kelebek. Reality warpers and consent do not go hand in hand.

Quite. Honestly some of the best AARs I've read had incredibly characterful and unreliable narrators. Everyone seems to love those guys.

It is very difficult to accept a mystical or mysterious power constantly threatening people with a comfy chair when one is British.

Hang, on...is this?

The Christmas Day corniation of William of Normandy. Turned into quite the massacre when his troops burnt the church down and killed most of the crowd. Soldiers are always so twitch. Napoleons men also did this when he spoke in front of the assembly.

Aw piss, does that mean everyone's content page is broken now? Albion was so bloody intricate...

I see even though I was absent from the thread, my presence was felt.

This gives me Lord Hassan nostalgia. Ah, when the CKII thread was filled with absurdly overtitled academics.

Interesting. Some humanity remains. Or self awareness perhaps.

Rule 1 in dealing with the devil is everything is a lie. Everything I see a trick. By summoning it, you've pretty much damned yourself to being deceived and we're foolish for even trying to get something out of it. It's much like summoning Death, it can only end badly for you.

Quite.

Damnation.

Vampires are better minions than true villains. Or better tragedies rather. Eldrtiich abominations are the true horror enemy of humanity, save for themselves of course.

And excellent line.

Hah! Yes.

Definetly a damnable demonic deviant.

Not necessarily. He could be arrogant enough to believe he's always right and patient enough to believe he will succeed in convincing any naysayers eventually. Though, yes, that does raise him quite above most villains.

Urge, what a hard hitting demonstration of the cult. Even if this, as it certainly seems, is the acult at work.

Yes, it seems rather like any serious intelligence agency, spy ring or terrorist cell. Everyone involved, even the true believers, don't really like what they do much.

Another banger of a line.

Yes I think this is the case. All mascerades, unless they are upheld by literal gods, are intently vulnerable at the end of the day. Such a colossal falsehood collapses in the face of any interest or evidence, and requires such absurd amounts of work to maintain that it really enchains anyone involved into doing everything and anything in their power to do so. They are all slaves to the process, even and despite their power.
Thank you, and some pertinent observations. Just a few particular replies

It is indeed the Christmas Day massacre
I think links are fixed now
"Unreliable" narrators are a lot fun.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So I had hoped to make a post tonight. Unfortunately this afternoon I started to experience a rather dramatic and negative mood swing, which has killed off all my enthusiasm for anything right now, so I don't think it is going to happen.

I hope to get that up, and respond to comments, early in the week.

I'm so sorry mon brave - if it helps, I too was extremely demoralised over the weekend. I think we're all suffering from COVID blues.

In “real life” however there are a whole raft of structural aspects of our lives that hardly get mentioned in most conversations, because the people involved in those conversations know them. Also, both in real life and within this world, people are often operating under various states of ignorance; or where they have knowledge it is limited, partial, misleading, and very possibly false. Between these two facets it allows a writer the opportunity to slowly reveal the world.

The point is revelation of the world, not concealment after all :)

Going forward will happily discuss any questions about all of this as they crop up in the course of the story, though I may defer some to a more appropriate point of course. Equally, if no one is interested I won’t be offended :)

Does any of this really matter? Probably not, I am sure. But I decided some time ago that once someone asked the direct question I wanted to give a full answer if, I realise, a somewhat rambly one.

I found this highly illuminating.