• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, Lothaire was ridiculously incompetent...

Well, West Francia is our new liege... good, good. Very good... now we can become the power behind the throne in all of France... Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Please dry off that drool. And do keep quiet, the baby's asleep.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I love this character.
Glad to read that! Eberhard probably won't change, and he's got a few years left, too.

And so Holland begins the otl dance between France and the hre. Wonder if they'll mange to break free and form their own huge and rich personal estate like otl?
For now, they'll probably be more busy fending off vikings than the French or Germans. Even if Hrörekr is a (Christianized) viking himself.

Oh my goodness, that was a hoot!

I don't rate Charles' chances now I must say.
Are you insinuating that misfortune follows Eberhard's lieges? If so, he refutes that accusation very much! It's not like he's got the power to influence the kingdom much, anyway.

Wow, Lothaire was ridiculously incompetent...

Well, West Francia is our new liege... good, good. Very good... now we can become the power behind the throne in all of France... Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
He was. Though, to be fair to him, he's been abandoned by everyone. Perhaps that's following some secret masterplan, perhaps the other Karlings simply decided that they don't want him to pollute their name with his incompetence.

There's a long way to go, but yes. Evil laughing is in order.

Please dry off that drool. And do keep quiet, the baby's asleep.
Anything that scares the peasants is good in Eberhard's book! But yes, patience is to be advised.

Reactions:
Ch.3 – Saving a Soul
Ch.3 – Saving a Soul

So, now I've got a new liege. Hopefully a better one. Can't really judge that yet, as he's currently touring Wales. Gives me more time to get used to my new situation, at least. And try to talk to my heir Hupold, convince him of continuing where I left off.

Hupold doesn't want to talk to me, though. Claims I'm responsible for Lothaire's downfall, (somehow) and that I try to bring down Charles next. Any attempt to explain that I can only claim very little responsibility (after all, a little embezzling is expected of a steward) falls on deaf ears.

At least my new chancellor Ferdinand found a man with whom I can talk. Doesn't live far, too – I just have to cross the Rhine and head south a bit. Guy looks like he's been in a few too many fights, but we've got shared interests.

2RDnp4r.jpg

A fellow friend of the rack. As he's quick to trust people, it must surely be because he enjoys it, like me!

Kriemhild asked me if we could call off the men sent after Lothaire. He's suffered enough, she said. Not enough, I answered. He's destroyed an entire kingdom from the top, left it to heathens and pseudo-Catholics! No, he deserves what's coming to him.

I've arranged a forged love letter from Waldrada, asking to meet her somewhere in the forest. Love is Prosperity, so Lothaire's sure to run towards her arms. Sadly, the only arms he'll find are ones holding clubs and bows. Enjoy, fool!

XHrDl3m.jpg

Turns out he's fast. And cowardly enough to have a retinue accompany him even to a very intimate occasion. Probably because it's hardly a secret any more. Still, I pity his poor guards, having to see that decadent fool fulfil his House's motto time and time again.

These men are apparently not traumatized enough (perhaps they even enjoy it!), and managed to capture my thugs. They immediately blurted out my name. Not that I care. Let Lothaire fear me until the end of his days! He deserves it!

UEUY7JW.jpg

Unlike Charles. He's just returned from Wales, and found his realm still intact. Which is more than Lothaire can claim. My good king also found a letter from yours truly. With Kriemhild's newest discovery. A truly great one – Hæsteinn's next plan!

The viking warlord eyes West Francia. But he estimates that Charles stands in his way. Turns out the king narrowly escaped some stray arrows in Wales – well, they weren't exactly stray arrows. Hæsteinn was responsible.

And as the viking didn't accept my offer (claiming Nancy was worth a try – if just to imagine Lothaire's expression as I take possession of his former castle), everyone knows that now. I'm sure Charles is grateful.

e6wyYlK.jpg

Hæsteinn, less so. So I'm improving Strassburg's fortifications.

The peasants are impressed. Perhaps they are imagining new ways of torture, as I hang people from these new walls. These masochists surely love that. I can't think of any other reason why they'd suddenly present me with a witch.

6vDonK5.jpg

What a great present! The woman will serve me well. I needed a court physician – and they bring me a free one! As a bonus, whenever I can't be bothered to scare the peasants, I just need to send her on the walls with a huge pot and some unusual ingredients, instructing her to cackle villainously.

Unsurprisingly, bishop Radbot isn't amused. And complains even more than before. I gift him a wonderfully plush carpet in exchange. Somehow, he believes I have ulterior motives. Me? Never!

CkvqUNr.jpg

Kriemhild returns not much later. She always announces herself with a “thud” and some muffled curses. I know it was a good idea to put in an additional wooden beam on the ceiling before my personal quarters. So satisfying.

“My liege.”

“Is Radbot still not walking on the carpet?”

“He's trying to sell it.”

I answer with faked indignation. “He dares refuse a gift from his lord?”

“That can be an advantage.”

“I'm all ears.”

The years in my service are truly changing her for the better. Even if others would disagree. “One of my spies can buy it back – and pay him with some prepared coins.” She lifts a pouch.

T5bNo4M.jpg

Probably something Uta has prepared. I'm truly lucky to have subjects who know my tastes so well. “Go ahead. Anything new from Hæsteinn's court?”

“There's less going on there than a graveyard at noon.”

“Are you sure?”

“I mean it quite literally. Hæsteinn's dead.”

PSVZBrZ.jpg

He didn't get to enjoy his conquest too long, then. His two sons split the inheritance, so there may be a chance to strike there in the future. A righteous reconquest in the Karling name, of course.

I sent Kriemhild to East Francia next. So far, Karlmann's nobles were perfectly willing to pay to keep their secrets hidden. A win-win situation, really. (They may disagree, but who cares?)

With my coffers filling and my architects busy, after the peasantry it was the citizens' turn to send me a gift. I truly love my people, and they love me. Walram von Otakar makes for a perfect steward, replacing whatshisname. All that's left is Radbot, and I can be happy with my council.

Veg8Av8.jpg

Speaking of which – I've become even more popular amongst my subjects! Though admittedly, it wasn't entirely voluntary. While Charles (fairly successfully!) defends Christendom in Asturias, my efforts to help my local representative of Christendom to get closer to his employer advanced. One of Charles' men recently returned with some exotic friends, and one of these would be just perfect for Radbot.

ON9KL5q.jpg

Curiosity got the better of me though, and I opened the basket not far from the stall. Well... Strassburg's citizens won't forget the day their beloved lord entertained them with a snake on his head!

zaI9vgO.jpg

I assure you, I didn't look like that. Full of confidence instead, thank you very much.

I love them, and they love me. Lothaire may have a point, though not the way he intends it.

That setback aside, my plans advance swimmingly. Hupold has set aside his concerns after seeing for himself that my people wouldn't want any other lord. While he's still very much Boudewijn's lackey, I think I am starting to influence him. At least I believe it is my good influence that made him finally conceive a child!

Before, he may have thought like me, that his death can only benefit his future plans. Strengthening Boudewijn at the Etichonen's expense! Such a stupid idea can only grow in a lapdog's head. I've got a lot of work ahead.

qWTSxkj.jpg

Yes, he's abandoned his heritage to please his lord, that coward. *sigh*

Then again, I'm not getting any younger. It may be time to think of my soul's well-being. Torture, blackmail and murder may help me on Earth, but the priests insist that it is a sin. Perhaps they just want to avoid being murdered. That won't save you, Radbot.

Luckily, they offer a simple way out. No, not indulgences. I'm paying the church enough as is. If the cost of murdering a bishop counts. I mean a crusade! All you need for complete absolution is to bash in a few heathen heads! When Benedictus announced his plans, I immediately proclaimed my support. Not that my little heap of rabble can contribute much, but it does save my soul.

And where does the good pope want to send his crusade? To Lotharingia? After all, he claims that the time has become because the heathens threaten Christianity's heartlands. To Hungary, where the Waldensian heretics are running rampant? No and no.

I can only imagine Benedictus' way of thinking. Hæsteinn's spawn will be defeated sometime. Brittany has already enlisted Charles' help to drive them out of Montaigu, Lothaire's former kingdom will be in the right hands again soon enough. And Hungary? What's a Hungary?

So you may have guessed it already. Jerusalem it is!

1uq3HzD.jpg

But first things first. After the snake debacle, I've returned to the merchant. He provided me with a smaller being, and I could contain my curiosity this time. The people can only be entertained by their lord ever so often.

The spider did the deed. Radbot was dead, and the spider vanished in one of Uta's potions afterward. Radbot's successor?

A mad Slovien.

HEYC5oC.jpg

Time to leave for Jerusalem.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
To be fair, some graveyards at noon can be quite cheery, especially if there is a big shindig on celebrating someone's glorious life.

Reactions:
Jerusalem seems like such a nice place to vacation this time of the year.

Reactions:
Yes, he will go to Jerusalem.

Our protagonist's evilness is great!

• 1Like
Reactions:
What was Radbot's failing? Poor Learning or too virtuous?
Existing, basically. Like (almost) everyone else, he didn't like Eberhard. Complaining against the witch was what drove our good count to act.

(He wasn't good either.)

To be fair, some graveyards at noon can be quite cheery, especially if there is a big shindig on celebrating someone's glorious life.
True. Especially if celebrating Haesteinn's life, or as any CK player knows him - unlimited opportunity.

Jerusalem seems like such a nice place to vacation this time of the year.
Isn't it? Sure, the people there are probably trying to kill you, but at least you don't have to deal with mad priests.

Yes, he will go to Jerusalem.

Our protagonist's evilness is great!
"Evil" is just like the slander thrown at him from his short description. "Visionary" is more like it, and as we all know, every vision needs sacrifices.

Reactions:
Ch.4 – Saving the People
Ch.4 – Saving the People

Before we're off, what does one need to crusade? Armour, weapon, helmet (finally I can wear that again!), right. But you're missing one very important part. Can you guess it?

If your answer is “hapless peasants”, then you're right! As my peasants are masochists, I'm sure I'll have around three hundred guys who will happily try to skewer Saracens with pitchforks and something resembling a spear in no time.

Or did you believe I'd take my guards with me? Ha! No, someone has to defend Strassburg. To that purpose, I've given instructions to my new witch Uta to a) not let bishop Zemislav get even close to my castle and b) keep preparing potions in plain view. Someone has to keep the peasants terrified if I'm not here, or they will start complaining.

My first volunteer isn't a peasant, though. I thought I knew a man who'd be perfect on crusade, and I'm right. Gottschalk! If you've forgotten all about him – I did, too. He's that kind of guy. A forgettable coward. As soon as I could give him the boot as Chancellor, the only times I saw him were when he's been staring at my torture chamber with a longing look.

That's why I remembered. And told him to come with me. I said “A crusade is like a buffet for you. All you can eat and more, far more!”

Gottschalk hasn't talked to me since. A few more knights to keep the rabble under control, and I'm off. We'll take a ship in Italy.

e4vnOXF.jpg

It's been an uneventful journey. But the arrival is a whole other matter. Just as we made landfall, my brave pitchfork-wielders and knights charge ahead. Leaving Gottschalk and me. I'm trying to get my stomach to deal with the fact that we're on land again – took me long enough to get used to the sea – and my cannibalistic knight tries his hardest to look busy doing anything but charging ahead.

The battle of Yaffa is over when I finally do arrive. To my surprise, the other lords congratulate me despite just being a latecomer and not even participating in the battle myself, my revolting stomach be thanked. Gottschalk ran off as soon as he heard the battle was over, probably to look for the tastiest parts, and another of my men comes to greet me.

Berthold von Aargau is bathed in blood. The other leaders of the crusade nod approvingly. They say that Berthold and his brutes wreaked immense havoc amongst the enemy, and the spirited charge of the Strassburgians carried the day. I think they may be selling themselves short to accommodate an old man, but it's nice being the centre of attention for once.

872i6ld.jpg

He's also wounded and killed six of the enemy's faris. All that while missing half the battle. Stay clear of Berthold, folks.

My chancellor Ferdinand died, though. Well, no big loss.

Jerusalem is a nice city. Actually, nice is the wrong word. Holy. That's better. Even better is that it's MY city. At least for now. Thanks to Berthold's prowess, they left me in charge of the siege.

hmxNuRS.jpg

I celebrate by taking my prisoners either to the walls or the torture chamber. One of my new acquaintances tried to dissuade me by telling me her secret. Well, Simin... for once, I don't understand a word you say. What makes you think a proud Swabian can speak with an Arab?

Secondly, what do I care about infidel secrets? It's not like I can turn it to money or any other advantage. And thirdly... oh yes, thirdly. That's the best reason.

DxMzRJs.jpg

It's not like we all speak the same language from Iceland to the Pagan kingdom.

We've marched around the Holy Land for another half year, before I decided to go home. It's too hot over there. That the Caliphal army had just caught up with us, separated from the rest of the crusaders because someone lingered too long around the battlefield, that's just a coincidence.

It is also a coincidence that said someone isn't on the ship with me right now. Yes, I ordered him to hold the line with all the rabble to leave an opening for me to leave. And I couldn't care less about his fate. But I'm sure he's fine.

GJ6ZEQH.jpg

Ahhh, back home. That I'm just accompanied by my loyal knights and none of the peasants can't come as a surprise. And anyone with a mind to complain just needed to look at Berthold and quickly thought better of it. That way, the cart laden with gold travels safe, too. Crusading really is great for both soul and treasury.

My loot... I mean, the goods which I so graciously saved from heathen hands... goes straight into pastoral lands. That's good for everyone. Feeds the peasants, thus honouring the sacrifice of their brave fellow masochists. It also fills my coffers and provides even more dispensable rabble. Win-win, as everything I ever do.

Then again, not everything is like before I left. There's a king of Lotharingia again. An upstart peasant, who calls himself Benoît Mercadier now, rose up against Jarl Ragnarr, cut off his arm and beat him up so badly that he died from the ordeal.

P7Nlj6l.jpg

Sounds like a nice man. Either way, most of Lothaire's former heartland is back under Christian control, though sadly not a Karling's. But could anyone truly blame the peasant for not wanting Lothaire back on the throne? Nobody can. I'm sure he'll do a better job.

Speaking of which, the lords who rose up against Lothaire in the north didn't do much better alone. One viking after the other lands on their shores. I... am quite happy that I live so far inland that even the Norsemen don't venture on the Rhine here.

FKJbPqC.jpg

Talk of my wealth, both newly found and old, spreads rapidly. And so three people searching for a patron soon stood at my doorstep. I point at Uta, doing her usual ritual to scare the peasants. Then at Zemislav in the distance, doing... something... I don't even want to know... in front of the church. I don't even want to know. They understand quickly. I don't need anyone else.

btOj8ZE.jpg

A few weeks later, I'm in Paris. Kriemhild has discovered that I made the perfect choice swearing fealty to Charles, and I'm here to talk about that. Turns out we've got the same ideas concerning how to deal with annoying priests.

O0UZBQ5.jpg

Don't look so shocked! You helped me off a bishop, too!

Returning from the capital, I'm happy to say that Charles is a man you can really talk to. Between the curses and lamentations, I think he's happy to have such a capable vassal. Internal happiness. I can sense it. Sure, he didn't want to lower my taxes. But that's life, isn't it? Doesn't always give you what you want.

kAswgaX.jpg

After my return, more good news arrived. Benedictus sent me... another cart laden with gold. The crusade was victorious! King Frotlaic At-Tafila reigns in Jerusalem now. I don't have a clue where they found that guy. Could at least have given him a European noble title first. And His Most Grateful Holiness thanked me for my great contribution.

Which can be summed up as arriving late for the great battle of Yaffa, leading the siege of Jerusalem and losing my peasants and cannibal in Tiberias.

Which is more than can be said of other people, at least.

CIbUdjX.jpg

In the same vein as before, the crusade's gold comes to benefit the people.

ILgezGt.jpg

Those descriptions are just what I've been thinking.

I believe I have done the best I could to strengthen Strassburg. Laid the foundations of what would become a great city. Yes, you know what's coming. I'm an old man. What did you expect? That I'd whip Charles and the other Karlings into... hmmm... ruling submission?... by myself? I know that it will take a while. I wouldn't put much faith in Hupold achieving it, either.

But he'll continue my agenda. His descendants will, too. And then, my great plan will come to fruition.

YNdAc94.jpg

And so, Eberhard's rule comes to an end. Has he laid the foundation for something great? We'll see with Hupold. And as I haven't continued more than a few months after his unfortunate demise, Hupold will be able to benefit from 1.1. Which is probably mostly important for Frotlaic, who may not turn Muslim.

• 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Much work left to do. These Karlings can't be trusted muck things up by themselves. I trust his successor is up to the task.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's better to be feared than loved. Clearly, that's why you were given credit for the Crusade!

There are translators, of course, or there would be... if everybody wasn't so afraid of Eberhard.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interlude 1 - Hupold's Arrival
Much work left to do. These Karlings can't be trusted muck things up by themselves. I trust his successor is up to the task.
One can never trust the Karling. As for Hupold, we'll see. He's a compassionate lackey, after all.

It's better to be feared than loved. Clearly, that's why you were given credit for the Crusade!

There are translators, of course, or there would be... if everybody wasn't so afraid of Eberhard.
Clearly. If he could go on another crusade, he'd just recruit a few bloodthirsty giants and be crowned king himself, probably.

Especially while he's enjoying himself in the torture chamber. No translators there if it's done for fun instead of information! :eek:

Interlude 1: Hupold's Arrival

Strassburg – no, excuse me, Strasbourg – surprised me. I came to inspect my inheritance. My old kin had died peacefully. I hear he's been a vicious man, but I've come to understand him. He's detailed his brilliant plan to me so often. Do I have a choice but to continue his work? Not really. Or he'd haunt me – my blood demands it.

Sure, him haunting the castle wouldn't be a problem – if I stayed in Lille. But Strasbourg – the city is rich. Very rich. Eberhard worked marvels there, even if his methods were... extreme. I won't return to Lille. I mean... The place is worth more than twice my three other holdings! I can't leave such wealth in the hands of a loyal follower while I live in a drafty old castle whose walls are slowly falling apart. Even if it means I live far from my liege.
The peasants like me, but less than the old man. I could blame my culture, but I truly wonder why? Did they like being semi-randomly abducted and tortured?

mSD8nAu.jpg

My good liege, Duke Boudewijn. He and old Eberhard would have understood each other. An exemplary man. People may say I follow in Eberhard's steps, but no. I follow Boudewijn's. Such a great man, an inspiring presence – he's made me embrace the same path. Turning away from my origins, embracing Charles' French culture.

f9DtcRi.jpg

(Both Boudewijn and Hupold probably went French because Flanders is, inexplicably, French. Also, Hupold truly is the vassal he deserves – a compassionate lackey for a content knave.
As an aside, he's intimidated by zero-dread-Hupold, so Eberhard's reputation must have made an impact.)

I am also Boudewijn's marshal. Speaking of which, I've brought my own council with me to Strasbourg. But my spymaster is lacking skill. The old man told me his giant girl was quite capable. Like all others of his court, she was nowhere to be seen when I arrived. What could have caused that exodus? I sincerely hope it isn't me. Have I done something wrong?

DzSn7Vt.jpg

She looks like a nice woman. Why did Eberhard employ her?

Luckily, a giant can't hide very well, and I could convince Kriemhild to return in exchange for marriage. No, not me! The Lord knows I would never betray my marriage. People didn't understand when I married Elisabeth. Eberhard didn't, either. But what do they know? She's the wife for me. And she has given me a son! Raynaud, my beloved heir.

1LnFJg7.jpg

Spent your time hunting with Boudewijn, haven't you?

I also hear that there's been a witch in town. She's vanished as well. Together with an entire village in the county of Colmar. Those two aren't related. I hope.

1DQReEp.jpg

But before my reign in Strasbourg begins in earnest, here's a letter I found on Eberhard's desk. Addressed to “Boudewijn's lackey”. Must be me.

“Well, well. So you've survived me. Congratulations for doing what Liutfried couldn't. Now that you are the undisputed head of House Etichonen, it is time to grow a spine. To help you in dynastic politics, I've listed the houses of the men you need to pay attention to.

And by that, I don't mean licking their boots. Hm, makes me wonder if Lothaire has stopped fearing for his life and dignity... Anyway, I digress. All has been said about that failure's house. Take a lover, and I'll disinherit you! Yes, posthumously. The people in town can tell you that it's probably within my powers.”

Ummm... I... Not that there's anything to fear, but... the man already scared me in life...

“Let us take a look at my liege. Your liege's liege, I guess. A good man. Really. And unlike the failure, he's chosen an excellent motto for his branch – Vex not the Fox. Makes you think. He's not as stupidly blunt as Lothaire with his crazy ideals. The Karling-Montereaus aim for complicated schemes. Not to be sure of your victory. I like them. Really made the good choice in lieges.

KV8ctVX.jpg

As King Arnulf's main Karling house aims for honesty – and a connection to Lothaire's foolishness. I guess that makes them predictable – if they stay true to their motto. Always keep that in mind, Hupold. Stay true to our motto, Glory through Karlings, and you'll be fine.

ODefgAP.jpg

Now, for what you need to expect, you lapdog – your liege has a somewhat skewed idea of an animal's main quality. “Cunning as the Horse” - I don't know about yours, but mine wasn't exactly known for its wit. Just take everything he says just like he says it, I guess.

b23ZesA.jpg

The new guy, King Benoît – he's aiming to legitimize his rule, I believe. “Fidelity” - to what? Probably the kingdom, as he didn't aim to reinstate Lothaire (not that I blame him). He's dangerous, keep your eyes open.

IXEfer9.jpg

I guess a good sign that you're suited to be a king is to be an evil paragon.

As to Hæsteinn's spawn – no need to comment on that. Oh, right, it's you I'm writing to. So – let's just say that they could do with a lot more of what they seek. Don't negotiate.

1y0X1sk.jpg

I've said, or rather written, my piece. Keep my advice in mind, this one and all those before. And don't just hide beneath the Flandrian, act!”

As the late count has placed some emphasis on “Love is Prosperity”, it was time to take a look at the other houses, and the interlude served that purpose while also introducing the compassionate lackey, Count Hupold.

And with the Interlude done, Eberhard has fully said his piece. With him out of the picture, I'm going to aim for chapters covering a few more years. We'll see how well this goes :).

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Oh, hey. A new ruler!

The peasants are obviously masochists. Not that I blame them, given what Medieval Europe was like.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can't hide a giant but have lost a village - I suppose it all comes out in the wash :)

So what can the lackey do?

• 1Like
Reactions:
And with the Interlude done, Eberhard has fully said his piece. With him out of the picture, I'm going to aim for chapters covering a few more years. We'll see how well this goes :).
So far, so good. :)

Reactions:
Oh, hey. A new ruler!

The peasants are obviously masochists. Not that I blame them, given what Medieval Europe was like.
Those people are making the best of a suboptimal situation, that's true. They were a perfect fit for Eberhard.

Can't hide a giant but have lost a village - I suppose it all comes out in the wash :)

So what can the lackey do?
She's easy to spot in a crowd - I guess Hupold's been lucky that she didn't run off to the lost village ;) .

Follow orders, of course. What else?

Mister Ed was not your trusty steed.
I'll miss Eberhard though.

Will the Dagger be mightier than the sword?
If it is, then Hupold's definitely not the guy to try that. But who knows, perhaps one of his successors will take that path.

So far, so good. :)
Yes. I honestly expected Eberhard's rule to achieve absolutely nothing save for dying. What happened is that Lotharingia got crushed by Haesteinn and awkwardly resurrected later by a random peasant, while the good count was off crusading and ending up as one of the main contributors. A lot happened.:)

Reactions:
Ch.5 – Hupold the Forgettable
Ch.5 – Hupold the Forgettable

I set out to find the missing village immediately. Turns out that I... I... shouldn't have. That sight – it will stay with me for my whole life. Whatever happened there, I don't want to know. Was it the old man? No, Colmar has never been his domain. His courtiers' work, after their exodus? Is someone watching me in his stead? It's a terrifying thought.

w1L55eK.jpg

I spent years reeling from that discovery. Years during which my wife bore me a second son, Herbert. During which Kriemhild told me that there are no secrets in Boudewijn's court (weird, I don't remember tasking her with that). During which I improved my other holdings, so that Strasbourg is not my only wealthy town. And during which Charles the Bald died, leaving his titles in the capable hands of his son Louis, the Stammerer. He's got the reputation to be a very scholarly man, who prefers not to pick any fights. I am sure West Francia will prosper under him.

LlKKGBb.jpg

In related good news, he hasn't got many sons, so partition won't hit his successor hard.

My son and heir Raynaud though, he worries me. Always up to another prank. Escaping his mischief and freeing myself of the dark thoughts I still have from that abandoned village, I leave for a pilgrimage. I will see Rome.

Only that halfway, I am lost. Who said that all roads lead to Rome? They do not. After weeks of erring through the countryside, I finally found my way again – only to hear that Pope Benedictus, a man who was renowned for still behaving like a monk despite ascending to the seat of St.Peter, has only upheld a pious facade all these years. Instead, he holds decadent feasts.

I naturally condemn that act vocally, as expected of a good Christian. Suffice to say, I haven't been invited to any feasts while being in Rome. But the pilgrimage went very well despite these problems.

BYfKxy6.jpg

It ignited a spark of piety. I truly believe that. The good people of Brabant deserve the salvation of their souls, free from the tyranny of the heathen Norsemen. My good liege doesn't move against them himself, and neither does Louis. But they give me their blessing. I've entrusted Philippe with my men, and sent him to claim back the land for Christendom.

uLxI1OL.jpg

It has cost us a lot. But after four years, we've claimed Brabant. Most of it. Truly, it was not a war that will be remembered for its heroism. After my men marched into Brabant, Jarl Tyke's band attempted to lay siege to Strasbourg. Intimidated by its walls, they soon had to realize that they weren't enough to bring us to fall. Observing them from the castle, I believed Philippe would soon return.

I was wrong. He took Hainaut easily enough, but then King Benoît came. Claimed the county of Brabant as his, and attacked my army, currently laying siege. Philippe was forced to dodge Benoît for the whole duration of his conflict, until he called the county his own. And if that wasn't enough, other border counts attempted to claim Cambray as well.

u8bxIrA.jpg

Thus in my war to free Brabant from the heathens... My men spilled more Christian than heathen blood. Their only redemption may stem from converting the prisoners who were willing to, ransoming the others. The money will fall to good use in rebuilding the devastated region, especially the county of Cambray. In the end, there were more Counts fighting over that land than heathens defending it.

Z8mZUq9.jpg

For example, the Count of Amiens. In related news, the whole region is Asatrú.

But the worst was yet to come! The decadent Pope called for a Crusade to Lotharingia! I naturally joined. But then, my advisors... told me that all of my men's efforts in Brabant would be for naught if the war wouldn't end by the crusade's start. That couldn't be, could it? It was. So I did a difficult thing and withdrew my pledge to the crusade. Benedictus did the contrary of his name, and condemned me as impious, just as I had done to him before.

Thus, my war to free the poor souls of Brabant, waged in the rightful name of the Lord, saw my troops fighting more Christians than heathens, me withdrawing from the crusade, and declared impious. For doing the very thing the crusade wanted to achieve. The world isn't fair.

TU4eOdX.jpg

It is much better to just follow orders, and this is what I do since the conflict ended. The very same day we forced Tyke's surrender of the counties of Cambray, Hainaut and Antwerpen, my great liege decided to press a claim on Guines, having ended up in the hands of Queen Ermengarde of Italy through inheritance.

sER5UxN.jpg

My claim. I pledged my assistance to my benevolent liege immediately, and am sadly forced to leave my men no respite as they join the Flemish army. Guines falls quickly, and my men head south to Ermengarde's capital, Turin...

Only for Boudewijn to deliver sad news in some minor tourney. I saw him brooding while we waited for the contestants. It turns out the reason was his failure to secure Guines for me – not because of our fault, but because of Louis claiming Italy as his own. We truly bond there.

P26QdYF.jpg

Now, I have no influence on my men, who should be laying siege to Turin any time now. And it is not like I need to. Of course I will support King Louis. Not only because he is my liege, but also to preserve Karling rule over Italy – Queen Ermengarde has married some minor noble named Orso, and so the title would end up in Participazio hands! Luckily, my wise king saw the problem of his own and decided to act.

All I can offer is my support. What else can I do? I can't simply press my liege's claim on another kingdom on my own. Besides, isn't this what Eberhard planned? That we make ourselves indispensable to our Karling lords through loyal service? Perhaps he will reward me with a duchy of my own, as much as I'd dislike to leave Boudewijn's sovereignty.

EnUyw5Q.jpg

Carolingian treachery in action.

And focus on my domain. With my Steward Lothar's support, I am building quite a nice place here, enlisting master masons to work for me.

While Philippe leads my men against Italy – no doubt he will be surprised that it is the French, and not the Flemish banner to reinforce him! – I reinforce my bonds with Boudewijn, betrothing my daughter Mafalda to his grandson Karel. May our houses be united for a long while. In that vein, I am also sending Raynaud to the Flemish court to become Boudewijn's ward.

Thanks to him and my rule over Lille, I became French. I attempt to convince the local populace here in Alsace to adopt that culture as well. We are part of the West Francian kingdom, after all. While the people of Strasbourg eventually follow my lead, the peasants of Sundgau don't respond well to my convincing efforts. Perhaps they would need a more forceful attempt? In any case, it is not what I would do.

DANW6kZ.jpg

As I attempt to convince Count Hervé of Boulogne of our liege's benevolence, Philippe returns. With great spoils of war, though naturally (sadly) with less men. He recounts how he was captured by the Italians in Provence, holding the ground long enough for Louis' army to prevent the Italians from fleeing. My men seized multiple holdings, took important prisoners and ransomed them. Thanks to their support, Louis won this conflict fairly quickly, adding another crown to his titles.

QA3xlUH.jpg

My siege engineers deserve a lot of credit.

I am proud of my troops' contribution. As another sign of my goodwill, I send Herbert to Louis to be his ward.

Little did I know that this would be my last contribution to a great rule. A few months later, overseeing yet another batch of construction projects, I felt myself growing weaker and weaker. Too weak. My time – it comes to an end. And that although Raynaud is not even a man grown yet! But – I know that Boudewijn teaches him well. Our house task will continue with him.

I just hope that he knows his place, just as I did. Everything else – it only brings trouble.

T8OzVSx.jpg

And so, we've gone through Hupold's time as our dear protagonist count in one chapter. Why are psychos always so much easier to write?

That might be because Hupold's just that kind of guy. You may spend some time with him, but at most an hour later you've forgotten all about him. He just... existed. That he didn't lead his men himself didn't help.

Young Raynaud is hopefully different. He's not yet grown up, but described as a righteous atheist. And he's got his little bro to squabble with over the inheritance.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
French? Eew...

• 1Like
Reactions: