• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I fail to see the problem in showing 'Goodwill' by taking clothes from those who no longer need them (the deceased) and give them to those without clothes (Adamites).

Did they fix CK2 aging after death bug? Are all legit children still born on the same day of the month? If so, do women still die on the same day of the month as her children are born on?

May God Bless You, My Queen.

I have high hopes for our new Queen.
Me too. After all, she began young.
This does pretty much sum up her entire approach to life and indeed reign.

There have been Etichonens who are objectively worse people (actual torture is probably worse than just threatening a child. But neither are good) and there have certainly been far less successful or just unhappier members, but there was always something to make them interesting. Cecile never quite managed that for me, maybe it's because the 'mission' is apparently so well established no-one even things to mention the Karlings, hence there is a bit of aimless drifting in the family.

Whatever the reason I'll admit I am glad to see the back of her and hope the new Queen can spark a dynastic revival. :)
I do agree. Cécile managed the break with Rome, but was nearly non-existent in Imperial politics (which have, sadly, calmed down a lot). Despite her achievements, she's just not very memorable.

For me, that final sentiment rings true as well. One major difference between Cécile and Adelaida has already become apparent - the latter very much knows what she wants.

I fail to see the problem in showing 'Goodwill' by taking clothes from those who no longer need them (the deceased) and give them to those without clothes (Adamites).

Did they fix CK2 aging after death bug? Are all legit children still born on the same day of the month? If so, do women still die on the same day of the month as her children are born on?

May God Bless You, My Queen.
That's charity for the greedy. You take those clothes, but instead of being chastised for grabbing them yourself, you give them to Adamites, who will send it back. So you get to keep them. ;)

I can't say that I'm paying much attention to that, so... perhaps? Someone else might be better suited to answer that question.

Now that Adelaida has taken the Etichonen to 1.3, I am pleased to report that the main players haven't fallen prey to The Balding.
I also think that her reign shall be more interesting than her two predecessors ;).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ch.28 – The Empress
Ch.28 – The Empress

Mother is gone. I know I will miss her, but! That also means something else is gone. The restrictions of my power! Queen of Bourgogne! Me!

Look out, world. There's a lot I want to do, and now I – personally – have the power to do it. I don't exactly know what I want, but I do know that I want it.

First, I have to squash the Anglo-Saxon rebellion, which won't take long. Those people stubbornly cling to Catholicism. Their loss.

My dear husband didn't. And so, with Bourgogne now mine, I entrust Dieter with my now-duchy of Glocestre (Hwicce). The island will be a battlefield soon enough as I claim my inheritance, and Alsace is both richer and traditional royal domain.

I'm also preparing another gift for my gentlemanly husband. Those preparations make it necessary that he's not exactly constantly in my company, so leaving him in England has a nice side effect.

For that honest man would never support my idea to make him the heir of his father... by removing anyone who is ahead of him in the succession. Duke Viktor is a powerful man, lording over a powerful duchy – which would make an excellent addition to my kingdom.

With Viktor's firstborn already having kicked the bucket, all I need to do is remove his two grandsons, one of them a dwarf. Can't be too difficult!​

jBks6RT.jpg

The rebel countess, Æthelburh, is a person I never liked. A beautiful, gallant woman... holding many secrets, such as being merciless to her enemies.

That's what people should think of me.

So I take her title and let her rot in the dungeon. I think I should have a new tower built for my prisoners, for I foresee she won't be my last.

Lothaire is far better suited to hold Bucville (Buccingahamn) in my name. A promising, beautiful young yes-man from the Turinese branch of the dynasty – a perfect vassal! Much better than troublesome Æthelburh.​

qJ5OpW2.jpg

There's no time like the present, is there? Especially not if the object of your desire is under threat. My nephew Léon is under attack from an alliance led by Duchess Amelie of Neustria.

And while I won't object to Francia expanding, I do object if it's at my expense. And it's my inheritance, with my sisters disinherited. My troops are already in England, so... I give the order to attack my nephews for Essex and Kent.

They'll drive out Amelie's Neustrians while they are at it.​

4fNPdHK.jpg

It looks like their betrothed didn't manage to escape the Balding.

While my men are setting England aflame, I am tending to the duties of a Queen.

Educating my son, telling him very clearly that he's a prince and should thus suffer no fools. If that boy Berthold thinks that bullying him is a good idea, he should read up on history and Count Thierry's fate at the hands of Arnoul the Great.

Betrothing said son. Securing the situation in England is a priority, so Charles gets betrothed to Wulfgyth, daughter of the King of Mercia whose name I won't even try to pronounce.​

NNKfjJW.jpg

Forcing Emperor Ancel to dance at my tune. It's laughably easy. After all, even Mother could do it. Nobody at the Imperial court should be surprised. After all, Ancel knows that there's still the same neck on the line of his decision. I tell him that he shouldn't meddle whenever I decide that it's in Bourgogne's interest to enforce its interests with violence.

And dealing with court pests! An all-time favourite of any self-respecting monarch. Jaspert de Valpergue, the very same man who paved my way to the throne by laying with my late sister... insults me!

The gall of that nobody! I know I should be grateful to him in some way, but... really?

I thought that mother had him dealt with...

Her forgiving nature must have prevented his execution.

Oh well. Never too late for that.​

ri9LJEn.jpg

Unsurprisingly, Richard of Essex can't put up a fight, and Léon decides to stay well away from Kent, where my armies clash with Amelie's. The Neustrians are driven out of Kent quite decisively.

At the same time, Frédéric tells me that he's found good ground for my claim on Cologne. That's... not enough. I want Lower Lorraine, and he better gives me a claim on the whole duchy.

Dismissed, and may he not return before fulfilling that request.​

D84rodC.jpg

My court begins to grumble. Loudly. The wars in England are quite bloody, and unlike Mother, they feel like I meddle too much in their affairs.

I've worn the crown for a year when Duchess Marguerite of Gênes, Queen of Aquitaine, decides to take action. According to her, I shouldn't sit on the throne. It should be Eustache, her father.

Yeah, no self-interest at all at play here. Mother shouldn't have released the former Count of Genève. Still, the faction gains traction quickly, half of the kingdom joining.

My spies, after my aunt's death led by my trustworthy friend Alphonse, report that they are preparing their levies.

I'm not too worried. Eustache's an old man. The problem may very well solve itself. Or be solved easily enough.​

vHZ0vrG.jpg

Half a month after its inception, my prediction comes in true. Not even any foul play involved, I bet Mother would be proud of me.

Then again, she'd be proud of me no matter what I do, so that's not much of a measure. Her little angel could never do any wrong.

The faction is not amused, and apparently takes the next step. Alphonse warns me that there's a plot against my life. He doesn't know who, but I can make an educated guess.

Your Queen won't forget that slight.

Alphonse is quick to deliver one of the conspirators, the spouse of some mayor. I have her hanged at the construction site for my prison tower, and send each of the faction members one of her fingers. They should understand that message.​

IBc4OU9.jpg

Richard surrenders Essex into my care not much later. Unsurprisingly, neither my dearly departed sister nor my underage nephew were unable to eradicate papal influence there.

The Saxons make demands for their rejection of the pope. I answer in kind.

Whoever makes demands of me shall meet his end, and those teens are no exception. The Count of Saxe Orientale (Essex) desperately asks the Duke of East Anglia for help, but even their combined forces are no match for my army.

Æthelweald meets his end at the stake, and instead of accepting that he can kiss his title goodbye, Count Cenfus of Saxe Centrale (Middlesex) denies my demands, too.

Sigh. Light the pyre.​

pRVnPvS.jpg

The screams of the burning Saxon Count, another message to my traitorous friends, apparently cause the conspirators to move faster.

Against a pregnant woman! These fiends! Anyway. Their assassin didn't get far. Though he did manage to come close to my personal chambers, my guards easily dispatched him, alerted by their ever-watchful Queen.

Now if I get my hands on these would-be murderers, I'll bring their ashes to Ancel's court just to remind everyone who really rules this Empire.
5LFoc3L.jpg

That unfortunate episode really motivates Frédéric, and now he announces that I am truly the rightful Duchess of Lower Lorraine! Apparently, he only just noticed that Duke Gunzelin, as well as all of Lotharingia, is Catholic, and that allows me to claim the duchy by divine right.

Why does that argument only work now, and not elsewhere?

Frédéric hesitantly suggests that it may be because Bourgogne is a part of Catholic Francia... but with enough time and money, that shouldn't prove to be much of an obstacle.

Then he shall claim Rome for me. We'll never break the papal supremacy if the Pope can happily sit in the Eternal City. Taking that will be a severe blow to his legitimacy.

Frédéric winces, but assures me that he shall procure that claim.​

LO8Dqqk.jpg

My newborn babe is a girl. Marie. She is naturally not named after Dieter's forgettable Irish cousin, whatever madness befell him to suggest that! I want to be able to pronounce my own daughter's name! Coincidentally, and certainly not because I'm an angered woman, Glocestre's taxes are on the rise.

English lands should pay for English wars, he certainly understands. Dieter meekly returns to the island.​

DfGrsEV.jpg

Due to the Neustrian meddling – can't they just give up! – and the rebellious counts (honestly, they are just delaying the inevitable), the English wars take longer than I could have expected. Especially the Neustrians are dangerous, similar in strength to my army – though under worse leadership, as my commanders carry the day.

On the shadowy East Franconian front, things are also advancing slowly, but nicely. Baron Gotthard sadly fell prey to some bandits, who sadly fell prey to the guards themselves. Which only leaves his dwarf brother in the way of Dieter's inheritance.

Surely if he disappears, few people will notice. Not that many people have contact with him in the first place. My men assure me that his physician may be our best chance at getting to Baron Viktor, so I am allocating the appropriate resources.​

SzCMQ8a.jpg

I am, of course, not the only one scheming. My enemies have taken to another plot against me. As they didn't get my title, they seek another figure they can rally behind – another claimant to the throne. Ha. As if any upstart can get a claim on Bourgogne!

And as a few of my irrelevant courtiers can attest to, I'm willing to go to any lengths to protect my plans.

Ancel also starts bothering me. Probably bothered by the church himself, he wants to place Charles under one of his lackeys' guardianship – no, sorry, he doesn't have any lackeys. One of his vassals' care. At the church's orders.

I tell Ancel to get lost, loudly wondering who is Simsam's guardian. He drops the issue for now.​

Uecs1gE.jpg

With all that scheming around, I am truly glad that my spymaster is my friend. Sadly, Alphonse has contracted the pox... that doesn't prevent us from spending a nice evening together, just letting out our anger at all our issues at the servants. Blissful.

Perhaps instead of burning the rebellious Saxons, I should leave them in the tower for entertainment. Worth a thought.

Nah.

Especially as he was betrothed to an Adamite, which brings bad memories to the surface at court.​

OZoKLC3.jpg

With Léon surrendering Kent to me and the rebellious Saxons nothing but cinders, I can elevate the new duke of these lands. Lothaire! The man's an excellent fighter and commander. He's no friend of the church, so he'll stomp out any Catholic remnants. And, most of all, he's completely devoted to serving me. A perfect vassal I can easily entrust with so much power, two of the three duchies of my denied paternal inheritance.​

sNoyxz0.jpg

Me on the other hand, I am hardly a “perfect vassal” for Ancel, as he keeps trying to educate Charles as a Catholic. By now it's clear he's not acting by his own will – I must have united the nobility of Francia against me with all the liberties I've taken.

Liberties allowing me to act freely against them, should I wish to. Muhahaha!

But for now, they are powerless. And I've got some dirt in my own backyard to take care of – Duke Loup of Franconie Occidentale (West Franconia). Raised by Mother from relative obscurity to mighty duke, he now has the cheek to bite the hand that fed him! Well, not literally, as I'm not Mother... but then again, he'll learn soon enough that I'm not Mother!

That was the plot of my internal enemies – certainly with plenty of help from my enemies on the Imperial stage.

They'll learn that my plans shall come to fruition soon enough!​

NSRXObg.jpg

Even with the small setback concerning Duke Viktor's inheritance, as his namesake dwarfish grandson still lives. Dieter's still not set to inherit anything even as I sent a small force to assist his old father against the pagans.

In better news, the stress got to Loup. As my steward, he's been well-aware of the sums I both have at my disposal and am using against my enemies' efforts. Likely he's begun to think that he can't win in an open conflict, and tried to drown his regret of being used as a figurehead in wine.

He succeeded. Good for him, good for me. A win-win-situation, something rarely seen.​

Yt0pCN2.jpg

Meanwhile, Lotharingia's power crumbles. King Bouchard not only finds himself unable to fend off the Duke of Haute-Bourgogne (Upper Burgundy), even a mere Countess claims land from the kingdom.

I have Lower Lorraine in my sights, complete with the rich city of Cologne and its holy relics.

Bouchard shouldn't be able to even dream of fending off my might.​

eJxvd92.jpg

It's some kind of holy war of my own, now that I think of it. One of three of note in that period, and in each of these wars, the Papists are the losing side.

Amelie's son leads Neustria's second attempt against Léon in Cornwall, only to be fended off by my nephew, his Greek ally in Wessex and the Order of the Sceptre.

Pope Silvester IV has to concede defeat against the Muslims in the Crusade for Galicia, condemning the lack of support from Francia's Emperor. The foremost Catholic monarch not taking the cross, the “Cécilian scum” spreading unopposed – the Pope needs Ancel, else there would have been consequences already.

Lastly, there's naturally my own war. With Charles having come of age, I assume leadership of the men myself – and annihilate Bouchard's army in Dortmund, forcing his surrender.​

G7GQt9w.jpg

Bouchard concedes the duchy – as it was under its former holder, Gunzelin. Not exactly what I wanted, inviting future conflict, but there's nothing I can do – the casus belli was for the duchy, I got the duchy.

An annoyance I am very clear in chastising Frédéric for, who better provides me with all of Latium when the time comes to attack the Papacy. But for now, I install Marie as Duchess and Gunzelin, unwilling to accept Silvester as his enemy, in my tower.

Viktor's heir proves to be very resilient – just as I do. He's evaded the next attempt to make him disappear, I am pregnant once again. At an age at which most women would have abandoned any thoughts of children.

I am truly blessed. So much for God's wrath for adopting our “vile heresy”.

Even the land prospers more than it ever did, bringing in record income and excellent produce.​

HkkyKLP.jpg

As I am preparing to take the next step of my reign, my enemies make their next move. Myself out of their reach – Alphonse reports that the nobility refers to me as “The Empress” – they've set their sights on another target – Charles.​

6H8obeO.jpg

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The Queen is certainly effective, and at least she is enjoying herself. I doubt anyone else is, but is that not the point of feudalism?

Reactions:
Beware Queen Little Angel, Scheming Scoundrels Skulk in the Shadows!
The shadows, the open, everywhere - nobody wants to leave her what she has. Their title for her is hardly like her mother's affectionate nickname. Still...

Adelaida always accepts any advice against all adversaries.
Time for schemes and counterschemes.....are you thinking of becoming "Empress" in Name and keeping a Karling around as a pet possibly Court Jester?
That time certainly has come! It never truly ends.

Going that next step would go against the entire premise, so no - but three dwarven Emperors were basically Arnoul the First's court jesters, anyway. :p
Adelaida can only aspire to reach the same level of power.
The Queen is certainly effective, and at least she is enjoying herself. I doubt anyone else is, but is that not the point of feudalism?
What else is a peasant good for other than to provide food, fodder for the armies and entertainment? Eberhard would be proud of that way of thinking.

Reactions:
Ch. 29 – The Prince and the Pope
Ch. 29 – The Prince and the Pope

There's nothing else I can do for now than to instruct Alphonse to keep a close watch over my son. Right before his efforts become that much more difficult to work out, as my cousin, Duchess Éléonore of Tyrol, blackmails me.

She's learned of the assassination attempt on Baron Viktor – and I can't let that become public. That would be welcome fodder for my enemies, even turn Dieter's loyalties. Grudgingly, I give in, and she wants to be named Spymaster in exchange.

Which is doubly bad as she's turned back towards the Pope, and will clearly do everything in her power to actually sabotage my efforts instead.​

h5GanY7.jpg

An opportunity to deal with that enemy in my home arises as I pursue a war to focus everyone's attention on instead – seizing Graz for Styrie from Bavaria.

The battles are hard fought, with King Piskla having the Hospitallers as well as Croatian and Augsburgian allies to support him. Close to Graz itself, Duke Raynaud of Souabe is slain as he leads my army to victory.

The battle also nearly wipes out King Karlo of Croatia's forces. Already weakened from a loss against Byzantium, Karlo faces important opposition for his throne, and seeks help.​

NbnnMDP.jpg

Well, he can get some of me.

Sure, we're enemies. For now.

But we both have enemies we need dealt with more than each other, don't we?

Oh, I'm not asking for him to withdraw the pitiful remains of his troops. He can keep fighting for Piskla if he wants. I'll just make sure he remains on the throne in the war's aftermath if he does one small favour for me.

Karlo agrees, and so I present a letter from him at court, in which he accuses Éléonore of having requested his aid in “delivering Bourgogne from the little demon's influence”.

It's convincing, if I say so myself. Two enemies of mine requesting mutual support. Most of my vassals don't buy it, though.

Does it matter? No. Evidence is evidence.

Solely by virtue of being my cousin, Éléonore ends up in the tower instead of the sky (in a less-corporeal form).​

atMMz60.jpg

She's accompanied by the Duchess of Franconie Occidentale – Loup's daughter did me the favour of being unfaithful to her husband. Great news, as it removes another thorn from my side.

Alphonse returns to his post, and sniffs out a random courtier with a grudge against Charles. Good work, which I may have needed against Viktor, as his damnable court physician blathered out his involvement in a plot against the Baron.

Accordingly prepared, Viktor managed not only to fend off the assassin, but also capture him – and the useless idiot revealed my name! I am forced to leave the dwarf alone for now.​

AwIJAM6.jpg

Duke Lothaire takes over the leadership of my army after Raynaud's death, and finally forces Piskla to surrender, after yet another great victory in Graz coming at a noble price.

This time, it struck my husband, Dieter. We weren't united in love, but still... he shall be missed. Luckily, this doesn't impact my plan for East Franconia in any way, as his claim passes on the Charles.

And it may be a blessing in disguise for Charles as he can learn rulership as Duke of Glocestre. Though I do worry about his health lately...​

405ooee.jpg

The war concluding proves once again our supremacy against the Papists, and so Frédéric finally brings the news I've waited for – justification to wage war for the entirety of Latium. A conflict that shall determine the true leadership of Western Christianity!

In preparation, I am crowned once again. This coronation serves solely to make official what is clear ever since Mother started the schism – that the Crown, more specifically the Crown of Bourgogne, has the leadership in both temporal and spiritual matters. Silvester denounces this second coronation as the heretic queen making herself a Pope of her own and demands Ancel take action.

The Emperor stays put, as well he should. Powerless, he watches from afar as I recruit a new elite unit to form a bigger cadre of royal guards in battle, aiming to save me from Raynaud's or Dieter's fate.​

1jITDpQ.jpg

Nothing changes for me personally, as well as for everyone who understands Mother's ideas in launching the schism.

But it changes a lot for those who accept the schism as merely Catholicism with harsher laws and without the clergy. Referring to me as their spiritual head, mayors start sending their requests for absolution – always accompanied by a sizeable donation for the royal treasury.

My already wealthy kingdom's coffers will need some grave catastrophe indeed to run out now.

And she who has the money has the power.​

FMAiBgj.jpg

The first of many...

I decide to move against Silvester once I've united all of my “vile heresy”. That means that my nephew Léon shall swear fealty to me. He doesn't want to.

Well, my armies shall oblige him then. And while they are in England, they may also assist Mercia in their current war.

A good ally must show some goodwill from time to time.

Capturing the King of Durham in battle should suffice as contribution.​

skTglnH.jpg

As I prepare my march on Rome, I think it is a good idea to actually read up on men who – more or less successfully – marched on the Eternal City themselves. Like Hannibal.

Surrounding and slaughtering the Papal army seems like a good prospect.

Countess Hodierne of Padoue supports me during that time. It's nice to know that I have yet another ally. The woman herself is also very inspiring:

Proclaimed an inbred freak in her youth, she's become quite learned. And she makes for good conversation, a good friend.

In gratitude, I name her Duchess of Vérone. I need more people like Alphonse and her.​

wtwsOFn.jpg

Léon's surrender coincides with Ancel asking for my youngest daughter, Cécile, as one of his insignificant courtiers' ward. With Duke Arnoul of Haute-Bourgogne's claim on my throne. With Éléonore's attempt to ransom herself out of imprisonment.

Nearly all my enemies making their move. This invites retribution, and I have one perfect way to show them.

After a few months of preparation, I declare war on Pope Silvester IV, with the intent to claim the entirety of the Latium. For Christmas, the perfect moment to deliver that declaration, as it holds both the clear spiritual value as well as the temporal one as being the date of Charlemagne's coronation as Emperor of Francia.

It shall signal both my supremacy over the Papal Church as well as Francia's conquest of Rome.​

JB2R9yK.jpg

Frédéric is responsible for initial forays, and the Papal army devastates Toscane (Tuscany) in retaliation, leaving my men with time to set up my forces north of the Po.

In a kind of holy war against the Pope, only the Alsatian mercenaries were willing to join my forces, with the late Herbert's Adamite company both dissolving and certainly unwilling to support me. Adding to that the Order of the Sceptre, and I have around 20.500 men on my side, split into three armies under the command of Lothaire, myself, and Hélie of Provence.

Silvester has bolstered his numbers with plenty of hardened mercenaries, Frédéric reporting that he has around 26.500 soldiers.

This won't be easy, but confidence is high.​

AIPZgnI.jpg

Especially as the rats within the kingdom are starting to turn on each other. I've had a solution to Duke Arnoul's audacity in the works, but Wolfram, former co-conspirator of his as Duke of Styrie, semi-voluntarily ratted him out as an adulterer.

A shame. Now what might the realm say if it became public knowledge? Hm?

A reason for imprisonment, you say? Now, what might Arnoul say to that...

Oh, he no longer wants to sit on my rightful throne? And he's willing to supply more levies to the Crown?

What a welcome surprise.​

dOo6kfH.jpg

Arnoul dealt with, the Papal army arrives to besiege Vérone. The scouts report that their supply is running low. Hélie thus advocates to relieve the besieged. A bold move.

But while the Duke's body is frail and he'd likely bleed out at the smallest wound – he's got a sound strategic mind, and his mere presence on the battlefield is enough to inspire the men, especially against Papists.

We engage, Hélie's army first, while Lothaire and myself attempt to fall into Silvester's army's flanks.​

8dUnoeO.jpg

At the end of the day, we've achieved a great victory. The Papists retreat to Toscane, and their order commander has fallen into my hands.

It is the same man who is responsible for my husband's death.

What better signal can I send than to burn him at the stake? Revenge for Dieter and a jab at the Catholic method for heretics at the same time.

A perfect day.​

Ec2hkqg.jpg

The Pope splits his still formidable army in half, but we achieve another great victory two months later in Sienne.

With the numbers less heavily in Silvester's favour, the next battle near Sienne is similar in many ways, only bloodier. But the Pope's mercenary force seems broken now.

At a good time, as I've lost Hélie in the fray. It is said that once the Papists began to rout, my loyal duke and best commander simply dropped out of the saddle, dead. A great loss, the man who likely won me Rome.​

qWmruI2.jpg

The 16th December 1128, I lead my men into the Eternal City. Silvester and his cardinals have hastily grabbed as much as their men and beasts could carry before the Romans threw them out, surrendering the city to my siege. The Pope grudgingly surrendered, announcing the return of the Righteous and the Lord's Fury upon me.

Let him rage. Rome is mine.​

dEo9IPV.jpg

A perfect time for a celebratory feast. In my good mood, I even bring Duchess Éléonore to the table, certainly not just to rub in the fact that Catholicism has lost Rome.

Unimpressed, she demands a guaranteed place for the Tyrolian Dukes on the Burgundian council.

Similarly unimpressed, I have her thrown in the oubliette. May she demand whatever she wants down there, perhaps the rats will listen.​

k8DqFms.jpg

Hodierne of Vérone on the other hand starts looking at me like a puppy. A lovestruck puppy. I hastily excuse myself...

Reason enough for her to come to blows with Count Amaury of Cambray... her brother.

*sigh*

All too aware of sibling squabbles myself, I have the count thrown out.

Hodierne must have gotten the message, anyway.
xuNLJPd.jpg

I also have ordered the servants to always keep anything before Arnoul well-filled, and the fat traitor happily indulges. And indulges. And indulges. With nothing restraining him, he devours more than I could in a week... and that's even too much for him, as he keels over. Good riddance.

Frédéric looks upon the feast in disgust, but compliments me on my recent successful schemes. Rome, my enemies... everything seemed to work out, only thanks to my stellar intellect.

Why thank you. It is nice to get some recognition, at least.​

bdl0zcA.jpg

The peasantry and townsfolk of Rome might have surrendered to my siege, but as soon as the army is gone, the rebellious sentiment wins over plenty of people.

The rural folk rise up in open revolt, led by a man named Cosimo, soon enough. I assemble the men from south of the Alps, and have the full intent to crush that rebellion myself.

But as we reach the Eternal City, the gates are barred. The citizens have opened the gates, many of them joining Cosimo's side. The Roman mob is marching on Tivoli, chanting that they will throw out “the oppressive French witch”.

I shall have their heads.​

6UmDGvk.jpg

We engage the mob close to Tivoli. And there are far more than I expected. The mob's numbers are comparable to Silvester's army, while I only have a third of them, with few of them hardened soldiers.

ww11lrU.jpg

Wave after wave, the mob crashes into my line. My knights and guard fight valiantly, but we are getting overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

They ask me to retreat. No, I won't! Never!

Then, my resolve hardens even more as something breaks in me. My son's banner – it goes down. Filthy peasants swing around Glocestre's blood-spattered banner like a trophy. The footmen abandon the field.​

vYen2yJ.jpg

We should retreat! The faces of my men, every fibre of my being screams that. But my head doesn't. My heart, neither. My pride is fuelled by an all-consuming desire for vengeance.

More banners fall, wounded nobles flee. The mob crashes against my royal guardsmen's shields. But we shall hold. We shall not give up! We shall..

*thwack*

“The Queen is hit! Retreat! Protect the Queen!”

For all those who hoped for a defeat against the Pope – it was quite likely. The last time I took on the Pope with a realm of comparable strength to Bourgogne, I had to empty my treasury and return with a second wave of mercenaries... Here, the excellent leadership carried the day.

Then comes the battle of Tivoli...

Still, I will probably have to think of a new goal once Adelaida's reign is over. Dynastic continuacy is far more present in CK III than in two, where I would have a few more Raynaud-like reigns already.​

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Fare thee well!

Reactions:
I must admit it was nice to see the Queen face a defeat, probably because the dynasty is just so powerful now it is good to see them knocked down a peg or two. They are not the scrappy under-dogs they once were, which is testament to the work of her and her predecessors, but it does make them less sympathetic.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am proven right as the gold flows into the treasury, the happy population enjoying the prosperity of peace. Record harvests fill the granaries, and masons from all over Christendom flood towards Bourgogne and multicolor mexican backpacks, for my income is steadily invested into construction projects.

After Father's conflicts kept the young and capable men conscripted in his army, my reign is even more appreciated by the peasantry; they have already begun calling me Arnoul the Good – or, the old among them, Arnoul the Small. As I am apparently the contrary of my grandfather.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am proven right as the gold flows into the treasury, the happy population enjoying the prosperity of peace. Record harvests fill the granaries, and masons from all over Christendom flood towards Bourgogne and multicolor mexican backpacks, for my income is steadily invested into construction projects.

After Father's conflicts kept the young and capable men conscripted in his army, my reign is even more appreciated by the peasantry; they have already begun calling me Arnoul the Good – or, the old among them, Arnoul the Small. As I am apparently the contrary of my grandfather.
Welcome to the Forums!

Fare Well, My Pope!
Fare thee well!
She'd like that kind of enthusiasm from her subjects, that's sure.
A Priestess-Queen or a Goddess-Queen...time to make the Karlings your "pets"!
You've got a good read on Adelaida's plans here ;).
I must admit it was nice to see the Queen face a defeat, probably because the dynasty is just so powerful now it is good to see them knocked down a peg or two. They are not the scrappy under-dogs they once were, which is testament to the work of her and her predecessors, but it does make them less sympathetic.
True. I myself loved Duke Raynaud, who I've called the Exile later, for losing his homeland and having to forge out another realm for himself. Stories of an inevitably invincible dynasty become boring at some point.

With the way the schism formed, Bourgogne is now immensely powerful. I went to fight the Pope outnumbered to make things closer, but Bourgogne prevailed. The peasants weren't much of a threat at first either, but Rome fell immensely quickly and 15.000 more angry peasants joined them. Good for the story, at least.

Without spoiling anything, I think I can mention that Adelaida will fight another war where she's even more outnumbered.

Welcome to the Forums!
I'll echo @Midnite Duke here :). Though I can safely say that there's no rush of the masons for anything Mexican at least for a few more centuries.

Ch.30 – Divinity
Ch.30 – Divinity

I remember struggling against the guardsmen, just doing their duty of keeping me alive. It was a mere arrow! Thanks to my physician's treatment, nothing endangering my life.

Still, I know that they saved me, despite my wish not to retreat. We've lost plenty of good men – not the least of whom was my son and heir.​

eAUOPMn.jpg

The mob celebrates its victory, but it shall not do so for long. One doesn't simply cross the Queen of Bourgogne.

When I return, we destroy the peasant army, driven by righteous fury.

Taking a page out of the ancient Romans' book, I have all of them hung across the duchy. Leaving Rome, one shall not be able to go on for days without seeing a rebel's corpse on their gibbet, hanging from trees, anywhere really.

I would have crucified them like Crassus, but that would have been contraproductive.

Rome shall soon forget that it ever was seat of the Papacy.​

59hHy0U.jpg

To that effect, it would be better if Francia in its entirety would turn away from Silvester. And now that most people see me as their religious head, it would even make the Emperor himself officially answer to me.

Yes. That's a plan. I've already got a candidate in mind – Raynaud Barrois, son of the overthrown Emperor Centule who lived out his days as Count of Sarrebruck.

But first, a distraction.

Instead of bothering me for my children's education, Ancel should send the Francian army to Africa. The Iberians shouldn't get involved, so it should be easy enough. The old coward will be busy worrying though.​

8OMgspT.jpg

Offering me the chance to really seize what I have already claimed as rightfully mine. King Bouchard rules Lotharingia securely now, but the kingdom has suffered some losses in its period of weakness.

Now it shall suffer a loss while at arguably full strength.

Hiring the newly-formed Order of Alcántara (Weird choice for a name. Isn't the place in Muslim Iberia? To make matters worse, it's led by a Croatian sadist who likely has never even heard of the place.) doesn't save Bouchard. Defeated in Nauenahr and Antwerpen, the duchy of Basse-Lorraine (Lower Lorraine) finally falls completely under Burgundian control.​

dAB2QMb.jpg

Emperor Ancel didn't live to see it. Some say the massive man died from overeating as his way of dealing with the stress of the war, despite it taking place far, far away from Paris.

His son Gargamel is crowned, and sees the war to its end. He might seem to be a competent Emperor. But succession always invites weakness into a realm.

As the factions form against him, I am ready to bide my time to strike when the moment is right. Especially the nobles clamouring for more rights are banding together in quite the numbers.

Any way is good to tip the scales in my favour, and so I blackmail King Amaury of Navarra. The man swears to stay out of my way, but doesn't join my cause himself. A shame.​

3RJVN0T.jpg

I need to prepare for a difficult war, and do so by stocking the stores, practice hit-and-run tactics, setting up a supply network...

Though that last one failed miserably. The merchant responsible for key deliveries vanished into thin air. Sent by my enemies, no doubt!​

I shall hang him from the tower.

oeJNRm2.jpg

There's also a change in East Franconia. Old Duke Viktor has died, and the dwarf succeeded him, now with three sons of his own. His new wife – not the mother of his sons – is a lowborn Sami. One very amenable to my renewed plan of making the new duke disappear.

Some coins to grease her palms, and she shall make a great asset in that cause.​

eIGWmiv.jpg

The promising power of the so-called “liberty” faction turned out to be... too much for my goals. Gargamel, perhaps fearing my next move, gave in, willing to await my next move. The man sees that I am a much greater danger to him than a few privileges...

And I intend to prove him right. Who needs a civil war to profit from when you have the power of Bourgogne behind you to launch your own? Raynaud shall become my little puppet on the Imperial throne.​

1Qf4Zgt.jpg

Francia is split in half. Though according to my scouts, Gargamel, supported by his allies, can count on around 30.000 men against my 19.000.

Calling my commanders together, Countess Sybille seeks blood. The invincible Burgundian armies shall simply crush the Imperials marching on Jaligny. Without an army to back him up, Raynaud shall be proclaimed Emperor sooner rather than later.

Duke Lothaire has another plan. Let the Imperials seize those well-defended castles in the south, while we march towards Paris. Gargamel has more troops, so he should be the one seeking battle – or defend his capital. If he doesn't do that, we shall profit.

Lothaire's plan is far better. I knew what I was doing when I made the man a powerful duke and named him Marshal.​

HrGEdPs.jpg

My move inspires others. Prince Adran of Wales turns away from the Pope as well, his next scheme in pursuit of the Welsh crown. Though I didn't hear anything else from him, so that might not have worked out for him.​

IImOT0f.jpg

While my armies near Paris, Gargamel is apparently still laying siege to Jaligny, its defences proving formidable. Lothaire's plan works perfectly so far, and Gargamel appears reluctant to seek battle.

So much so that even some peasants rise up in Beaumont. But while the Emperor's not there, that rabble will soon see that my men very much are.​

Arcm1sx.jpg

Thus I can safely put my schemes into action against the East Franconian Dukes. The dwarf Viktor disappears in the walls. His eldest, Gotthard, knows of a plot against him – but can't avert it. The second son, Friedrich, dies to a bandit attack. Only the youngest survived – and he actually manages to track down my agents.

He's unable to prove that I am behind his family's demise – but he's too well-guarded for now.​

hiB5O52.jpg

With my dear son's death, it is my granddaughter Eglantine who would inherit the duchy. And she has fallen ill. Smallpox. I send my best physicians. My prayers. Anything to save her.

And it works. The Duchess of Glocestre and Crown Princess recovers.

Unlike Duchess Éléonore of Tyrol, who never saw the light again since making demands of me, her liege and jailer. Her son is just as bad. Guiges, of the Imperial house Barrois, thinks himself protected by the church and the Emperor.

Bad news for him, I am in open revolt against the Imperial Crown.

Second bad news, I couldn't care less about the Pope's opinion. And he shouldn't, either.

He doesn't want to? What am I going to do, send an army?

Yes, exactly. Guiges might have felt safe because my army's marching on Paris, but the coffers are full and any sellsword can be used to put down an uppity duke just as well.​

6UyfqJO.jpg

When Jaligny finally falls, I stand at the gates of Paris. Gargamel's cowardice shall spell his end as Emperor. As the city surrenders, Prince Rorgues falls into my hands. Without control of the capital and his son taken hostage, Gargamel can't hold on to Francia.

Raynaud shall be crowned as soon as the nobility dissolves their army and reaches Paris. My men shall keep watch over the proceedings.​

Au0hLDY.jpg

Gargamel arrives with an arrow wound sustained from the defenders of Jaligny. I smile as I release his young son, only to be met by scorn in return. Triumph. Feels good.

That feeling doesn't last long, though. As Raynaud accepts the crown from my hands, he proclaims that he shall not truly be the rightful Emperor before being crowned like tradition demands it – by the Archbishop of Champagne.

He spits on my religious authority. Perhaps thinking that this way, he can endear himself to the losers with the bigger army, he turns back to the eager embrace of the Papacy.

Even the overthrown Gargamel can't help but smile back at me for this turn of events.​

raodtFW.jpg

If they think they have won, they can think again. Standing next to the new Crown Prince, Hélie, I grab the man by the arm and have a few quick words with him. He tells me what I wanted to hear.

I announce that I shall never be complicit to placing a Catholic on the Francian throne, and that my army shall place a real man on the throne.

Who? Hélie. The man has no qualms about attacking his own father, and has grown up in a kingdom free of Papal influence. He shall not turn his back on me. Or else.​

vTfxAsV.jpg

Calling your own son and heir a collection of dung. Classy, Raynaud.

With my army still surrounding Paris, Raynaud will enter history as one of the dumbest monarchs and traitors who ever lived, I'm certain. Should have at least waited until my Burgundians were back in my kingdom.

As it is, he can only try to break out of the city with the retinues of the nobility suddenly supporting him. Utterly overwhelmed, that attempt is pointless.

With Hélie willingly placing himself as my hostage and Paris falling under my control, Raynaud's situation is worse than Gargamel's.

Support for him plummets, and Hélie is crowned.

By me. With no objection. This is what a real triumph should feel like.​

ZRNzH4y.jpg

Gargamel, naturally, doesn't take that loss easily. He proclaims himself as still being the real Emperor, sends his family into hiding and prepares his men – only to fall to that arrow wound, infected and thus deadly. Jaligny was truly his greatest mistake.

With his son Ancel a minor, Hélie's grasp on the throne shall be secure for now.​

MAV1CXM.jpg

Leaving me with time to deal with Guiges, who ends up in smoke. As my men saw no field combat against Gargamel, I declare war against Aquitaine to reclaim Gênes. Lost by inheritance, the young King Jacme is back to being mere Duke of Gênes as Aquitaine is caught up in a succession crisis which couldn't have come at a better time.

This leaves the current King Géraud, aptly called “the Foolish”, unable to play an important role in Imperial politics.

His brother, Sigismond, is more active. Landless himself, he rallies the people against Hélie – and soon leads a Catholic revolt, over 20.000 men strong, joined by a few minor nobles.

After defeating Aquitaine – Géraud overthrown by then – in Monaco and returning Gênes to Bourgogne, it is up to my men to prevent Sigismond from succeeding.​

7OYbYNV.jpg

With Sigismond ravaging Barcelona, Lothaire disembarks there to deal with his rabble. Unlike in Tivoli, the rabble doesn't outnumber my men by three to one. Unlike in Tivoli, the men are mostly hardened veterans. Unlike in Tivoli, no royal is in the field.

Unlike in Tivoli, the rabble is completely overrun. As soon as Lothaire sounds the charge, the Catholics scatter. It is an absolute, unquestionable victory.

Only a matter of time until Sigismond himself is captured.​

zoYyrC2.jpg

The victory is seen by many as divine proof of supremacy over the Papists. Surely Cécile the Prophet was driven by divine will.

And me? I am guided by God himself. My line is recognized as blessed by the Lord, and people start calling me Adelaida the Divine. To further mock the Catholics, they even add more to that epithet by starting to refer to me as “Saint-Queen”, a title passed on to my successors.

It is the pinnacle of my power. Revered as more than a mere mortal, as an enforcer of the divine will.​

LLO68qf.jpg

It sounds like a great blessing. But it is also highly stressful. All those people suddenly seeking my attention, far more than before – and, if I might point out, I am a Queen. I am basically harassed all day long, not a quiet moment to myself.

Not even Alphonse can help me, as in these trying times I even lose my best friend.​

hKvSWqa.jpg

It's getting too much to bear. I've achieved all I could. The world will remember me as Adelaida the Divine, first of a (hopefully) long line of Saint-Queens and -Kings.

All my energy is drained. I can't even manage a good laugh at that Papal lackey thinking he can take my entire kingdom with a “Holy Crusade against the Demon-Queen”.

It is time for me to rest. Finally get a moment of quiet. Or rather, an eternity of it.

I deserve that.​

AKAFOGd.jpg

Keeping a Karling on the throne doesn't seem to be that hard... CK III has higher dynastic stability than CK II, where we would have had one ruler who would have had their heir educated by an Ashkenazi Jew long ago. Even inbred dwarves held their throne easily... So I might want to expand on that target – the Karlings shall rule the Roman Empire.

Which means placing one on the Byzantine and Francian throne, while ensuring that they rule both until the restoratio imperii. Should be possible by grabbing both a Francian prince and Byzantine princess and see them married, have a child, murder the princess, then place the prince on the Francian throne, their child on the Byzantine one, then murder the Emperor before the Greeks overthrow the child.

Sounds like a next task.

Perhaps we'll pick a lunatic ruler on the way, then things can truly get interesting.​

• 2Like
Reactions:
Why do I feel with Adelaida that we just had a lunatic on the throne? Emperor Gargamel should have been protected at all costs as Karlings with four double digit stats are as rare as unicorns. Regarding 'Croatian Sadist'; a) I like sadistic mercs b) how bad do you have to be to come from the Balkans and be labeled a sadist? My Queen, label grandma a bad dream and protect good Karlings (however rare).

Why do I feel with Adelaida that we just had a lunatic on the throne? Emperor Gargamel should have been protected at all costs as Karlings with four double digit stats are as rare as unicorns. Regarding 'Croatian Sadist'; a) I like sadistic mercs b) how bad do you have to be to come from the Balkans and be labeled a sadist? My Queen, label grandma a bad dream and protect good Karlings (however rare).
Ha, true that. Still, Adelaida was hardly a lunatic, as she was motivated by very rational (albeit egoistical) thoughts. It's like the end of the Age of the Dwarves - actually capable Karlings have a hard time on the throne.

The Croatian probably agrees that his order are just a bunch of mercs with a fancy name (where's Alcantára again?). Secondly... things aren't that much worse over there for now, so Balkan sadists are like other sadists at this point of time.

We'll see about that protection. But the Divine clearly has left a mark and can't be forgotten.

Reactions:
Ch.31 - The Divine's Legacy
Ch.31 - The Divine's Legacy

Grandmother had managed to silence all critics, ruling unopposed at the end of her reign, acclaimed as the Divine.

I think even my fancy title as Saint-Queen will not protect me from that. Especially as her decision to place Hélie on the Imperial throne has thrown the Empire into turmoil.

Only one of her many plans. Meh, long-term plans are not my style. I rather live today. However I want – after all, what good is it to enforce respect of the laws as a doctrine of the faith if the Queen is not the Law?

And a good ruler makes use of the shadows as much as she frequents the light. And Grandmother left me a nearly ready gift. I just need to take it for myself, now. East Franconia is my inheritance as soon as Duke Sieghard is dead.

Luckily, he's not popular at his own court. No matter how much he knows about a plot against his life – he can't avert it anyway.​

1GlYCP5.jpg

The duchy falls to me, and I hand it to my new husband. Not whatever kind of nobody Father thought might make a good match over a decade ago.

...Actually, nobody of importance wanted to become my King-Consort. Baffling, isn't it? You'd expect a horde of suitors of the noblest houses of Christendom to stand in line for the Saint-Queen of Bourgogne's hand!

Might be that the fools still hold grievances against our split with Rome. Their loss. Some minor Bavarian noble, noticeable by his keen mind, ended up my husband and new duke.​

rMqtT15.jpg

The old duchy's nobles outside of Hartneid's new lands refuse my demand to recognize me as Saint-Queen. I will make them grovel at my feet, then! Begging for their pitiful lives while their titles are seized and distributed to good Cécilians instead.

The Catholic uprising defeated, Hélie will not miss my army that much. The Papal Count is too weak to be a real threat.​

aIqZ5Fn.jpg

Another group is far more dangerous. Marie the Unfaithful of Franconie Occidentale, daughter of Duke Loup – erstwhile claimant to Grandmother's throne –, also a prisoner who escaped from the tower, has gathered support for her brother.

Josselin isn't a ruling type, and the choice of a fool. Anyone is a choice of a fool compared to me, the rightful Queen! Those fools might think that he's going to be lenient with them. I certainly won't.​

HuvJx5k.jpg

The initial victories are for the rebels. Tyrolean troops ambush my men sent against the Papal count. The army of the two Maries – the rebel leader joined by my aunt of Basse-Lorraine (Lower Lorraine) defeats my mercenaries in Bade.

Then she marches south. All of the rebels amass their army in Italy. Lothaire suggests to seize Marie's lands then, and I agree.

If the rebels don't threaten the capital, then they don't have a chance to win. So let them be in Italy.

I shall show no mercy to those who question my authority. No prisoners are made.​

sxbbVHs.jpg

For anyone familiar with the game mechanics, no, I haven't done that to max out her dread – Églantine's base dread is cap already.

Grandmother's old friend, that freak Hodierne, suffers the consequences of annoying me.

I tell her that there are two kinds of people in Bourgogne: those who accept and respect my rule – and the dead.

She will keep her inconsequential matters to herself in the future, I'd guess.

All resources are to be concentrated against the rebels, so what if some random village starves? The war effort demands sacrifices.​

aPOPZfL.jpg

Bourgogne's civil war quickly catches the attention of anyone seeking to pounce on Francia's moment of weakness. With the sole Pillar of the Empire actually backing Hélie's reign preoccupied, vultures everywhere make their move.

Westphalians invade Jülich unopposed. The Papal lackey is defeated, but Wessex tries to advance on Glocestre. Franconian Catholics rise up, only to be promptly defeated as I can divert the necessary men. Those are only the first of many, Lothaire assures me.

I counter that he should better deal with the rebels quickly then.

Lothaire suggests marching south then. Apparently the rebels are encountering supply problems in Italy.

No. I want to see Marie's lands seized first. That harlot and her brother may still be there.​

rhsTvvM.jpg

Progress is slow. At least Hélie rightfully prioritizes the defence of Glocestre, my first lands, even if that invites another Catholic uprising and a Muslim invasion. For a mere Navarrese county... let them have it, I say.

At least my aunt did me the favour not to survive the birth of her fourth child, making her army lay down their arms. My own mother started to meddle in my affairs, but I quite firmly tell her that I rule in my lands.​

WmFOxih.jpg

That's shortly before I become a mother of my own child. Not Hartneid. My no-name husband stand no chance against the significance of Arnoul for the Burgundian kingdom. My son shall reach the heights of the Great paired with the prosperity of the Small.

… in the very far off future, of course.​

oMTVA97.jpg

Aquitaine joined the last of the Catholic uprisings, making it a sizeable threat to the Empire. Luckily, for whatever reason – really, it makes absolutely no sense at all! – the uprising, originating in Africa, decided that it shall begin its assault on Hélie's authority in...

… guess where?

Saint Gall.

I'll repeat it. Saint Gall. You know, in Coirhètie (Currezia), north of the Alps?

That African peasant, Isalcas, must have wanted to see the world. Or he's more educated that I give him credit for, and he tries to emulate Hannibal. That he's got an ally in King Jacme, allowing him to invade his enemy's heartland directly, doesn't matter.

A truly great general crosses the Alps.

That's what he might think. Jacme and his dwarfish commander must agree, because they rendezvous with Isalcas, coming from Bavaria, in Saint Gall. To cite Arnoul the Great: Is the nobility so permeated by idiots?

Apparently, yes. For Lothaire just seized Marie's last stronghold, and destroys the Aquitain army before eliminating Isalcas' Africans, capturing the man himself and thus ending the third Catholic uprising against Hélie.​

XF5VjSK.jpg

The rebels have continued on to Provence, and while Lothaire liberates the seized Italian lands, it is the Pope who makes his next move – calling a Crusade for Lotharingia.

Now that's not good. Bourgogne in a civil war, Hélie unable to muster Francia's real strength and under attack by Muslims – Urbanus picked a bad moment to strike.

I reach out to the rebels, but they desire guarantees that they shall not suffer any consequences for their revolt.

Out of the question.​

cnVRyoZ.jpg

As the Crusade is launched, the rebels take Forcalquier and take their positions there. Lothaire shall smoke them out of there soon enough. I've already sent the order.​

The man can now concentrate fully on my conflict, as his men have successfully taken Mercia in his absence.

He's growing a tad too powerful, but he's supremely loyal, so there's no need to worry.

NEdJN2y.jpg

Then I am once again shown that stupidity is the only option for some. Truly, it is hard to fathom how anyone can live that long with that little brain.

Raymonde Trencval-Vormatie, one of my prisoners, claimed to have something to tell me. I thought she might offer some information on the revolt. She hails from Marie's lands, after all...

Wait. Why is she still alive? Didn't I declare that there would be no mercy for those rebelling against their rightful liege?

Anyway. I went to listen to her words – only to be insulted. That's it. Nothing more.

Did she want to provoke her execution? Well, it failed. I could let out some of my anger and frustration at her back. Each swing of the whip lightened my mood a bit more.​

LYJqN7w.jpg

Still, that moment of one simple bliss can't hide the greater problems my reign is facing.

Lothaire was repelled by the rebels, first in Vaison, then in Avignon. The army fell into disarray shortly after, as my greatest commander died – completely unrelated to the conflict, apparently of malnourishment.

The crusaders descend upon Lotharingia with huge numbers, thousands upon thousands of men. The Emperor faces impossible odds, and pleads for help.

And in all that trouble, there's a plot against someone at court, with possible escape routes already mapped out.

If it's against me, I shall make them overthink that idea.

A Bavarian peasant – was he siding with one of the Catholic revolts or the subdued rebel counts, I wonder? Ha, as if. Doesn't matter, that Kuno will serve his purpose well.

His flayed body, with some additional personal touches to finish the piece of art, is placed in the centre of Strasbourg's marketplace.

Now if only people would get the message.​

mUxx1ny.jpg

With Lothaire's death, the crusaders' arrival and the rebellion in a stalemate for quite a while now, I grudgingly have to negotiate. But I insist on Marie not being present as we negotiate.

Our arms shall not be raised against each other again, and I remain on the Burgundian throne, which is mine by divine right. Those present shall be guaranteed their title and freedom.

The instigator Marie shall be imprisoned for her countless crimes against Queen and God.

She did seem willing enough to accept her fate, my men report, but then thought it over and resisted arrest.

Great, just great. Even if the great threat to my throne is stopped, my army has only very limited options to reach the zone occupied by the crusaders.​

8oQl6Bq.jpg

So my men have no choice other than to attempt to drive the Catholics out of Trèves (Trier). But their numbers are too great, and thus they are forced to withdraw, first from Vaderne, then from Konz.
rK35xiD.jpg

Marie has to be accepted back into my grace as well. I hate that and have her kept in close watch.

Still, that wider front doesn't help me immediately. An attack on a crusader army in Veldenz is fended off as their reinforcements arrive in time.

In even greater numbers, the crusaders then chase my army out of Trèves again. While we looked like having the upper hand this time, wave after wave of crusaders were simply too much.​

SG2JLdA.jpg

In the wake of these defeats, Catholics within the Empire rise up once again, this time led not only by some random peasants, but by Duke Guy of Neustria, uniting multiple West Francian nobles behind the claim of Queen Adalmode of Sardegna e Corsica.

Because parallel to that, the Archbishop of Champagne, weary of a female ruler – why, I don't know where the cleric could have gotten that idea – supports Adalbert's peasant rebellion.​

bVvEld4.jpg

Guy's uniting figurehead is Adalmode. A shame if anything happened to her...

Which is easily done. Archonesa Anna of Corsica is basically the most powerful woman of the kingdom, in many ways comparable to us Saint-Queens of Bourgogne in Francia, likely even more so.

Some gold and a warning that she'd lose her influence should Adalmode be crowned and the kingdom be integrated into Francia at some point were more than enough.

Guy's raised levies only just laid siege to Paris when he already has to disband his forces again due to losing his claimant.​

E0rhvJd.jpg

She didn't even live to see the end of the crusade. Bitter as it is, the Pope remains a formidable foe – and Lotharingia is lost.

9GLLyqL.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions: