• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting. In CK2, turning feudal made you much richer than tribal. I think its the same with CK3, but a much more gradual process and depends on culture and tech trees. Ireland for example is incapable of late game techs, so might as well stay tribal no matter how powerful it gets. Its a limiting system, and probably the one thing I want changed most in the game. Cultures shouldn't just stop in the 8th century if you play them beyond that...

Reactions:
Interesting. In CK2, turning feudal made you much richer than tribal. I think its the same with CK3, but a much more gradual process and depends on culture and tech trees. Ireland for example is incapable of late game techs, so might as well stay tribal no matter how powerful it gets. Its a limiting system, and probably the one thing I want changed most in the game. Cultures shouldn't just stop in the 8th century if you play them beyond that...

Ireland is incapable of late game techs?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ireland is incapable of late game techs?

I think so? I looked at the irish culture and tech tree and it says most of the late game stuff is unavailable for Ireland. Might be because I'm still tribal but I don't know...

Reactions:
I think so? I looked at the irish culture and tech tree and it says most of the late game stuff is unavailable for Ireland. Might be because I'm still tribal but I don't know...
Tribal does lock stuff out

Reactions:
Tribal does lock stuff out

Eurgh. It's going to be a bastard of a time getting them out of that then, especially if there's a money drain as soon as you do it!

• 1Like
Reactions:
The morale of the story- feudalism is viable only if you have coffers overflowing with money.
And committing to crusade while not participating has some penalties now?
Yeah, it has taken me quite some time to improve the situation, believe you me.

When a crusade is called you either commit to war, which means you are open to attacks. But I don't think not doing much cost you anything per se. Or you commit money, which means no use of expensive troops, but has a steep upfront cost. Or you hold it off, which means the Pope keep reminding you what your responsibilities are.
I mean the area around Novgorod, whatever polity is currently ruling it.
Ah, well I will say stuff changes in that region over time.
Best left forgotten by the sounds of it. What a disappointing reign. Still, thigns can only get better - right?
Eventually, sure. This surely proves to be a down point. One of them. ;)
No no, you can go further. Be sure of that. But not while tribal. That's my understanding at least. :)

All: playing each day, actually played on to mid 1200s by now. Have six rulers finished their reign if I remember correctly. By now I get the occasional CTD, but I always get further on, although I sometimes need to play the same month some 2-3 times. ;)

Reactions:
Chapter VIII - Emperor Gaucher I (1056-1094)
Emperor Gaucher I (1056-1094)

MgWSatj.png

The reign of Emperor Gaucher I would consist of many smaller wars, slowly enlarging the Scandinavian realm.

Family

Gaucher was married to one Hrothwina, an Anglo-Saxon woman who would bear him seven children – and much pain.

The children were as such:

Martha

Jorunn

Halfdan

Gunnhild

Torgeir

Tormod

Thordis

None of them would succeed their father.

His reign

The first five years of Emperor Gaucher’s reign would be peaceful ones, something that would not be true of most of his reign, which would see many smaller wars fought.

In 1061 AD he led a holy war to reclaim the county of Ubemejeiednou, that was lost in an inheritance some years earlier. The war would be uneventful, and successful and conclude four years later.

During this time, the ongoing crusade for Jerusalem would fail, but only five years later the Pope would try again, launching the new crusade for Jerusalem in 1067 AD. Gaucher would finance it, but not fight in it himself.

Between 1068 and 1076 AD, two de jure wars would be fought to reclaim lands lost in inheritance, both against Catholic Pommerania, who had claimed for themselves lands belonging to the kingdom of Sweden. Both wars would end quickly, and in victory.

After five new years of peace, Gaucher would go to war against the kingdom of Bavaria, who had inherited the duchy of Slesvig in the kingdom of Denmark. The war was another success, ending in 1084 AD with Slesvig again under Scandinavian rule.

1084 AD would sadly also mark a personal tragedy for the Emperor, as proof of his beloved wife’s unfaithfulness was unveiled. She had, it turned out, had extra marital relations with one of Gaucher’s powerful vassals. Hurt, and with uncertainty now being held about the real father for his children, the Emperor raged for weeks, telling everyone what he thought about her and her lover.

The next five years would be peaceful for the realm, the Emperor having lost the appetite for anything but food, drink and prayers, but in 1089 AD he launched a holy war for the control of the county of Narva in the east. Within a year the war was over. He then immediately went to war for the county of Tartu. It was won within months.

Satisfied with the success, Gaucher then launched a war against the kingdom of White Rus for his de jure claim for the county of Vidzeme. The war ended after four years in a resounding success.

The Emperor would not live much longer, though. On June 24th, 1094 AD he did not answer when his servants knocked to wake him from his sleep. He was found in a pool of blood, apparently from a sudden and fatal nosebleed. He would be succeeded by his brother Torgeir II, aged 46.

6UZFNaq.png

Aftermath

Emperor Gaucher I was by all accounts a successful Emperor. Not having done any great deeds, he faithfully grew the reach of Scandinavia, slowly building on the foundation of his predecessors.

To modern Norwegians, Emperor Gaucher I is perhaps most known for the plays written about him and his wife Hrothwina by the world famous Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen.

• 2Love
Reactions:
What on earth is brittania doing in saxony?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh dear, an unfaithful wife. This seems to be the plague.

Otherwise, quiet rule. How's money and manpower?

And Byzantine Italy. Brrr.

Reactions:
What on earth is brittania doing in saxony?
Conquering stuff and making an empire worth remembering? :D
Oh dear, an unfaithful wife. This seems to be the plague.

Otherwise, quiet rule. How's money and manpower?

And Byzantine Italy. Brrr.
Money is tight, manpower much more limited than before. At this point I had ca 6k troops and an income of +6 gold or so. But when at war I lost like 20 or more per month, and there were a lot I needed to do with my gold. So I was never far from being deep into the negative...

As for the Byz, just you wait. ;)

Reactions:
Money is tight, manpower much more limited than before. At this point I had ca 6k troops and an income of +6 gold or so. But when at war I lost like 20 or more per month, and there were a lot I needed to do with my gold. So I was never far from being deep into the negative...

For me, the increased cost of having your armies raised is a bigger deal than the reduced manpower. 6K troops is a respectable number, and with the right allies you can punch well above your weight. But if you've got a deficit every time you have your troops raised, then suddenly you don't want to go off on grand military adventures because that means losing 300, 400, 500 gold.

Which is to say, now I'm playing through this myself I understand why Gaucher opted for a series of smaller wars.

Reactions:
Sounds like some much needed competency

Reactions:
For me, the increased cost of having your armies raised is a bigger deal than the reduced manpower. 6K troops is a respectable number, and with the right allies you can punch well above your weight. But if you've got a deficit every time you have your troops raised, then suddenly you don't want to go off on grand military adventures because that means losing 300, 400, 500 gold.

Which is to say, now I'm playing through this myself I understand why Gaucher opted for a series of smaller wars.
All true, but it was an unpleasant surprise. Having to recouperate 500 gold or more in minus takes valuable time and hinders me a lot! :eek: I had to smile at your comment on Gaucher. ;)
Sounds like some much needed competency
Much needed, indeed.

Reactions:
Chapter IX - Emperor Torgeir II (1094-1103)
Emperor Torgeir II (1094-1103)

NfNpVm2.png

The reign of Emperor Torgeir II was relatively short and uneventful.

Family

Emperor Torgeir II was married once, to a Norwegian noble woman named Ragnhild. Together they had four children, none of which would inherit the throne:

Håkon

Karin

Ragnhild

Torgeir

His reign

The short reign of Torgeir II started with him having to deal with the issue of inheritance. Already ageing, he had not much time to sort this, and the inheritance of the Empire and the kingdoms the Emperor controlled was in risk of getting divided. Three heirs competed for the various spots. Torgeir II solved this issue by using his clout as dynasty head to disinherit the two contenders that was not of his preference, removing their chances of ever becoming kings or Emperors.

With the inheritance question solved, the Emperor used the rest of his reign to improve the income of the state. Working tirelessly to use hooks on vassals to increase their taxes and improving the royal domain, he managed to do relatively much in a short amount of time. The question of dividing the royal domain on his death, however, he could not solve, as he lacked the authority and administrative efficiency to implement this.

In 1102 AD, he barely escaped with his life when his nephew, king Sämund of Burgundy tried to assassinate him. The assassin was caught however, and the nephew humiliated and revealed as a kinslayer. Merely months later mother nature would do what Sämund could not, however, as on January 28th, 1103 AD Emperor Torgeir II died of what probably was complications due to his obesity. He was succeeded by his relative Halfdan I, aged 42.

EymOrhw.png

Aftermath

Emperor Torgeir II did not reign long. He waged no wars and did no big feats. But he improved the imperial economy a lot and while modern Norwegians might not remember him particularly well, he is regarded by historians as an important man for his consolidation of the at the time shaky foundations of the realm. His chosen heir would prove to be even less illustrious, but would be important rather for the heir he would in turn leave the Empire to.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I think the successes of kings like Torgeir II can be easily overlooked in favor of those with more 'heroic' virtues, but elevating the common people's prospects through sound management is never a bad thing imo.

Reactions:
Holy hell; the Romans are running rampant. They'll restore the empire the way their going. And brittania runs half of frankia now!

Reactions:
Well, not bad for a King who ruled less then a decade. How big is your royal domain anyway? And how much did you lose?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think the successes of kings like Torgeir II can be easily overlooked in favor of those with more 'heroic' virtues, but elevating the common people's prospects through sound management is never a bad thing imo.
Very true. He was good for the common people.
Holy hell; the Romans are running rampant. They'll restore the empire the way their going. And brittania runs half of frankia now!
The ERE is a beast. I’m trying to get an alliance whenever I can, but at this time they are not allied to me...
Well, not bad for a King who ruled less then a decade. How big is your royal domain anyway? And how much did you lose?
Between 6 and 8 out of eight for most kings at some point, but whenever a king dies, I’m down to 3 domain. Keeps happening. Even when I later get my inheritance chsnged to main heir taking most domain. I think that law is bugged.

Reactions:
There are worse ways to be remembered than as a ruler who generally left the realm in as good a state, if not better, than he inherited it.

Reactions: