• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've been obsessively reading this over the past week or so. Your characters have a really compelling complexity that I've not seen in most other AARs here (not that some of the others aren't fantastic as well). Foulquesson's really become clever suddenly, hasn't he? Well, he's probably got someone very clever manipulating him (or several someones, if we count Geoffrey). I wonder if we'll meet the power behind him soon (or better yet, if we've already met that power)... I look forward to finding out in future updates!

Thanks! I appreciate that compliment - I do work hard on the characters. They are the lifeblood of this story and the slow pace allows for greater development, I feel.

As for Foulquesson's cleverness there could be lots of causes. There's also the question of whether he's that dumb - or if he's simply blunt and boorish, like his father. The Iron Duke tended to lack nuance, but he certainly could pull out some trickery on occasion.

Foulquesson might be overreaching himself.

Regardless, the lord of Brittany is dead and Geoffrey will have to deal with the aftermath as is.

He and Guilhem both seem to be messing around in the deep end of the pool, for lack of a better expression. It might just be the way of the children of the Iron Duke. They all seem to have their hands in something - at least the ones we see.

All very tricksy, but if it works ... ;) Very interesting and imaginative way to play an otherwise simple battle death - sounds like it is leading on to (or part of) a deeper game. Is there a lurking puppet master pulling Foulquesson’s string here, or is it indeed inborn rat cunning?

Thanks. I tried to liven it up and show more of the issues between the brothers... which would have been hard to do in a battle scene. As for Foulquesson... the poor guy's reputation appears to have preceded him!

Nicely done. More twists and turns than a mountain road. Geoffrey thinking on his feet and adapting to a very fluid situation was fun to read. However if Foulquesson did conceive the plot it means that Geoffrey could have underestimated his brother and that could be worrisome. Of course if Foulquesson had help that could be an even a bigger problem.

I would say Geoffrey has underestimated Foulquesson quite a bit in a similar way to how he's underestimated his father in the past. He views them as blunt objects, and while he was forced to deal with his father due to the nature of their relationship, he can get away with being more condescending in his view toward Foulquesson.

Nothing good can come of turning brother against brother like this. Geoffrey is playing with fire here by encouraging strife among his younger brothers -- he may think that he's keeping his own position secure by pitting them against one another, but rivalries like this have a very nasty tendency to spiral out of control, bringing down everyone involved whether they're specifically targeted or not.

A very fair point. And there are further complications to be thrown into the mix as well in the near future. Geoffrey has enjoyed the privilege of being the unquestioned future of the Angevin legacy for a while now - even Foulques conceded that to him for the most part after Aines died, even if it was to get to Foulques the Younger. Now he has to deal with ambitious brothers intent on carving out places for themselves as well... and may not be too fussed about whether Geoffrey likes it or not!

Fear not the brute when he is nothing more than obedient; fear the brute when his mind is as sharp as his blade.

This is pure Foulquesson here. Out of all his brothers he’s like Foulques the Elder the most. Almost as though he’s reborn.

Philippe...ambitious but slothful! What s combination to have.

He certainly does have that vibe... I also thinks he looks the most like him (though if I played with Geoffrey's facial hair, he probably could do a reasonable impersonation). Though I'll say Guilhem has his own claim to the mantle as well - he'll have his own similarities that will become more apparent in the future.

Takes after his mother with the slothful - she also had the trait. And that ambitious trait is something that seems to be a common theme among the Angevin men.

And this is where Foulquesson and the Iron Duke differ - the latter would have been happy enough to end the war in one battle, instead of having to start long sieges. The former is mainly driven by bloodlust and doesn't care if his future lands are devastated as a result.

True, Brittany might be weakened, but it isn't like it was a match for the Angevins before, even more so after Foulquesson seizes Cornouaille.

The dispute between the brothers is only helpful as long as they think Geoffrey is their best way to achieve what they want. As both are martial types, they might at some point have earned each others' respect and start working together instead, and then Geoffrey has a problem - if he can't manage them well enough. Knowing Geoffrey, he'll likely be able to, especially should he manage to give them a duchy after his coronation.

The Iron Duke did hate sieges, and would have done anything to get out of them - so you're right about that. Foulquesson is rather cruel, so his desire to break the Bretons so that they'll never be able to recover is something that is less his father, for sure. In fact, one might argue it's more like Geoffrey, who is for keeping potential rivals in check.

Britanny is not much of a rival for Aquitaine, though without a strong defeat, they might be able to recover and take Normandy. Of course, that could also weaken them, as the Norman lords might rebel fairly quickly!

A good point with the brother's having greater similarities to each other than to Geoffrey. Of course, Geoffrey does sit on the fact Guilhem plotted to kill Ancel, and that could be something he might use if they grew too close. Foulquesson might not like either brother after hearing it, but it would make a friendship with Guilhem difficult.

Also a good spot on the duchies... ;)

You know, I get a frission of remembrance of some conversations between Geoffrey and his father when reading of the chat between Geoffrey and Foulquesson. The "senior" Anjour having his plans potentially disrupted by a junior Anjou.

I may be wrong, but I think this is the first time post-death that we have had Geoffrey remember his father in an unabashed positive light. There is an inner journey going on there that I find quite enthralling.

I just want to emphasise @Bullfilter here - one of the great strengths of your AAR, and I am delighted to have see it grow, is how you have handled the humdrum events of the game. It really makes me happy to see the most banal of in-game events given such full and varied treatments.

There's something to your first point - they are reversed of course, but ultimately it is similar. The ambitious younger lord thinks his way the best and consultation tends to be optional. :)

Correct. Geoffrey's had a mutual respect at times, both while Foulques lived and after he died. But it was one of the rare times he remembered the pride he had at one time. Their relationship wasn't always toxic, and at the height of Foulques' glory he did have the admiration of the teenaged Geoffrey. But things went downhill fast... thanks to the death of Beatritz and the mess with Aines/Marguerite.

Thanks for that compliment! It's something I try to liven up and the point of a narrative AAR, in my opinion. Of course, it can drag out chapters - in this one, I knew where I started and where I finished, but the how I got there part took me ages. Got another one coming up next chapter too. :)

Another gripping chapter not least in the rememberance of Foulques snr by Geoffrey. As @stnylan says: the 1st time we’ve had him do that in a wholly positive light. Bravo for that.

This Foulquesson worries me though. His brain and a heady mix of cunning portend trouble ahead. I’m surprised Geoffrey agreed so readily to his devious plan...that said it’s what Octavian world have done so true to type. His father, I suspect, would be turning in his grave at such an unchivalrous act...

Thanks! I liked that moment - a rare look back at something that happened over 100 chapters ago!

Foulquesson... he's something. That's all I can promise/say at the moment. I do think Foulques the Elder would frown upon this... though he certainly was not above opportunistic tyranny/sin. It is very Octavian-like - at least the Octavian from the Rome series from the early 2000s...

To all - thanks for your patience with the last chapter and I hope the next one won't take quite so long. It's in the works and like the last one, gives greater depth to a singular event. We certainly have a few major things brewing in the pipeline as well.

Thanks for all your support and feedback, as usual!

Reactions:
. It is very Octavian-like - at least the Octavian from the Rome series from the early 2000s...
And indeed Colleen McCullough in her masterful Masters of Rome series! If you haven't read them I couldn't recommend it highly enough :cool:

Reactions:
And indeed Colleen McCullough in her masterful Masters of Rome series! If you haven't read them I couldn't recommend it highly enough :cool:
Second that motion! One of the reasons I was inspired to do my Rome AAR. :D

Reactions:

I have not read them. I'll check it out next time I'm at a bookstore (which is more frequently than you might think). I still have the Last Kingdom series to read though! (I have the first book, but haven't gotten too far in it)

Second that motion! One of the reasons I was inspired to do my Rome AAR. :D

Also high praise! Also, another AAR I must check out. How am I going to read these novels if I'm catching up on AARs?? ;)

And I also am still writing an AAR as well. Which I have a new chapter for. Which I looked through today and couldn't believe the length. I've really got to trim these down, though the next chapter also figures to be fairly long... Anyway, hope you all enjoy!

Reactions:
Chapter 175 - January 1117
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 175
January 1117 - Anjou, Duchy of Aquitaine

As Geoffrey sat in silence in his father’s former chamber in Anjou, in his former chair no less, he found himself dreading the words he was about to say.

I should not be in this position, he thought. My brothers… they seem intent on making my life miserable.

Misery was not something he had expected when they all had returned to Anjou to winter after the successful summer campaign. Following the victory at Bayeux, the Bretons, despite Agustin’s death, or perhaps because of it, had regrouped into a cohesive fighting force.

Of course, that may have been ill-advised - it just made them easier to destroy The Angevin forces had again come upon them at Paimpol and dispatched them with ease. Spies reported to Geoffrey the Bretons had been reduced to under 500 - a force which might be able to raid, but do little else. They certainly could not threaten the Angevin army, nor could they make any progress in Normandy.

Granted, it had not all been good news. Despite the rise of young Padric as the new King of the Bretons, his allies had not abandoned him. While they made no promises of the future, the Irish counts and the King of Navarre claimed they would continue to assist him against Geoffrey - for whatever that was worth since the Irish remained across the channel and Navarre were still fighting in Iberia.

Still, when the spring came, Geoffrey was confident the renewed push would finish off this conflict. It would be mostly siege work - bringing Cornouaille and possibly the king’s keep in Leon under their control - but the hard work was hopefully complete.

1117_Battle_of_Paimpol.jpg
1117_Padric_of_Brittany.jpg

All of which allowed Geoffrey to enjoy himself in the keep of his birth. The large number of knights and important soldiers present gave it a livelier feel than it had in some time. That was both good and bad - as his father’s life faded into the past, Geoffrey felt less of a desire to see Angers appear inferior to Bordeaux. In fact, seeing it like this reminded him of the good times of his childhood - before his mother Beatritz died. Before he learned of his father’s ills. Before it all turned bitter.

The bad was the servant girls… he suspected there would be many bastards born in the summer and fall as the result of this visit.

That was to say nothing of the potential bastard he might sire in Haldora during his stay, though, as it was with Agnes, given her age, Geoffrey did not think it was likely.

The former duchess probably did not mind - one less trouble to concern herself with in the future. Indeed, the lady of the keep appeared to be in fine spirits as she acted as if she were the duchess, often by Geoffrey’s side, including during meals.

It was something that had been uncommon during the later years of his father’s reign - Haldora being seated by his side as his wife and duchess. And though she certainly was not a duchess today, while Geoffrey remained in Angers, Haldora was his wife in all but name.

Given that his affair with her was no secret, Geoffrey felt little need to be discrete about things. She held his hand during their time together, they often shared a bed.

It was not in everything - she did not sit beside him when he held court for matters relating to the county as that would look especially poor on Marguerite - but it was enough to leave Haldora pleased with her current lot.

And that, in turn, left Geoffrey pleased. While his former stepmother did not excite him like Agnes did, she proved herself comparable to Marguerite, and, unlike his wife at times, appeared eager for his company and touch.

But there was a problem - a problem which had reared its bearded head in Geoffrey’s chambers days before.

“Do you have need of something?” Geoffrey had asked after his brother had barged into the chamber with a short knock, barely worth a courtesy.

“My mother,” Foulquesson replied.

“You have need of her?” Geoffrey asked. “An odd request to make to me, but I am sure she is available.”

“It is just, she is so often with you these days,” Foulquesson said. “I thought I might find her here.”

The duke’s reply was a long, silent gaze at his younger half-brother, followed by a slow, rhythmic tapping with his fingers on the table.

He had wondered if this conversation would come from either of Haldora’s sons. Philippe, Geoffrey suspected, would not challenge him, even if he wished it. But Foulquesson… he was feeling bold these days.

“So… you are your blunt self, with this matter,” Geoffrey said as he stared Foulquesson down. “Your language is inappropriate, especially in regards to your own mother.”

“She is your mother too, you realize,” Foulquesson said.

“No, she is only your mother,” Geoffrey said. “When the lady became father’s wife, I was already a man grown, with a wife of my own.”

“A wife you forsake,” Foulquesson said.

“Be that as it may,” Geoffrey continued. “The lady is hardly my mother. I never viewed her as such.”

“It is still a sin to lay with your father’s wife, is it not?” Foulquesson demanded.

“It would be, if father still lived,” Geoffrey said. “Or if I had been with her while he did. But I was not. Your mother is unmarried, lonely and pleased with our… dealings. She is no child, and neither are you. There is nothing to concern yourself with.”

“It is my mother,” Foulquesson said. “I think there is plenty for me to be concerned about.”

“And what is it that concerns you?” Geoffrey demanded.

“You take advantage of her,” Foulquesson said. “Sully her good name by turning her into a harlot. A mistress… a…”

“A duchess,” Geoffrey said. “At least here in Angers, where I gave her free reign of the keep to oversee. I take no advantage of her - she would not allow such a thing. You should know that, if you know her.”

But that was just it - Foulquesson probably didn’t know her that well. Geoffrey knew his father had kept his two sons separated from their mother quite a bit as husband and wife grew more estranged. He was merely disgusted by the idea his brother and mother were having an affair.

“I want it to stop,” Foulquesson said.

Geoffrey eyed him. “Remember who you speak to - I am your brother, yes. But I am your liege lord, first and foremost. It is not you who gives commands to me.”

Foulquesson’s reddish hue in his cheeks, something he had inherited from his mother, grew brighter. “She is my mother!” he shouted. “Not some harlot who you can use when you see fit!”

“She is my lover!” Geoffrey replied. “By her choice, and mine!”

He closed his eyes took a deep breath to regain his composure. Then when he opened them, he gave Foulquesson another long look.

“I will hear no more of this,” Geoffrey said. “What the Lady Haldora and I do is our business, and not yours. It will never be your business.”

“My brother and I cannot stand here and…”

“You will stand there,” Geoffrey said. “And you will accept my judgment in this matter. That is final.”

“So I am your servant, and not your brother?” Foulquesson demanded.

“Take it up with her,” Geoffrey said. “I do not force her. If you wish for her to stop, then request she do so. I do not think you will like her reply, however.”

Foulquesson glared at him. “I shall speak with her. And we shall see what she says.”

“I look forward to her response,” Geoffrey said.

And with that there was little else to be said. Foulquesson stormed from the chamber and Geoffrey sank back into his chair, taking a long drink of wine, then pouring himself another cup.

He may have wondered when this was coming, but it certain did not make dealing with it any easier.

Geoffrey did wonder if Haldora would be pushed to stop by her son. But that evening, she offered no hesitation, only eagerness, as she told him: “I may be a north woman, but it is cold enough in these winter months where I could do with a warm body beside me.”

Geoffrey was more on top than beside, but the point was taken all the same. And after their coupling had finished, she gripped him tightly, refusing to leave much gap between their bodies. It left Geoffrey smirking.

“Is something funny?” Haldora wondered.

“I… well it is nothing,” Geoffrey said. “I was just thinking of how someone told me they would do something today, and I do not think they did.”

“Something?” Haldora asked. “Who?”

“Foulquesson,” Geoffrey said.

“Oh, that,” Haldora replied.

1117_Haldora.jpg

“What? What did he tell you?” Geoffrey demanded.

“That I stop coupling with you,” Haldora said. “I told him it was none of his business. He did not like that… but he has no say here. So he stomped off, as he does.”

It was somewhat surprising how glibly she referred to it. Foulquesson was an intimidating figure… and Haldora seemed to brush him off, as if he were a child.

Then again, he was her child, so that likely was the cause of it.

“You have spirit,” Geoffrey said. “Not many would tell him ‘no’ so easily - not after he took a Prince of the Franks’ hand.”

“He is my son,” Haldora said. “I birthed him. I nursed him… for a time anyway. Besides, I spoke far harsher to his father - who could have done much worse to me than my son can.”

“He can still do plenty bad,” Geoffrey lamented. “And now that I think on it, I think Philippe has been awkward around me. As if he is bothered by it all.”

“I am not surprised,” Haldora said. “They ignore it while they are away. But these last few weeks, they have been confronted by the reality of it. I imagine it is unnerving.”

Geoffrey arched a brow. “So you agree with them?”

“I did not say that,” Haldora said before pressing herself against him harder. “They may be frustrated by what they have witnessed, but it is not their concern. I do not live in their keep… I live in yours.”

“Do you do this because you feel required?” Geoffrey wondered.

“No,” Haldora replied. “I do it because I enjoy it… more than I ever was able to with your father.”

“Your reputation has suffered,” Geoffrey said. “That matters, does it not?”

“I was unhappy before,” Haldora said. “And my reputation was that of a limp fish, unable to satisfy your father. Now? At least I get some happiness when you come. It may be less often than I like, but it is more enjoyable than my life before.”

She kissed him on the neck, but he did not reciprocate. His brother’s anger remained with him.

“If it troubles you so,” Haldora began, “perhaps talk to their half-brother?”

Geoffrey paused for a moment, as he realized she could not have been referring to him. “Guilhem?”

“Yes,” Haldora said. “He is annoying instigator, much like his shrew of a mother. They think themselves more than they are - she thought herself a duchess, and he thinks himself equal to you or my sons, even though he is a bastard.”

Well, he is legitimized, Geoffrey thought.

“I care not that your father gave him inheritance rights,” Haldora said. “He will never escape what he is.”

Geoffrey’s brow arched - as it was almost as if she read his mind.

“What has Guilhem done?” he wondered.

“I have seen him make mention of us to both my sons,” Haldora said. “Especially to young Philippe, pointing us out as we speak to one another at supper. He antagonizes them, I am sure of it.”

Geoffrey grunted. He had not noticed it himself, but what Haldora spoke of made sense. Guilhem’s desire to surpass his brother likely involved more than just plots and backstabbing - any type of psychological warfare would do. And this would drive a wedge between Geoffrey, Foulquesson and Philippe - positioning Guilhem to benefit.

“He likely does,” Geoffrey admitted. “I will speak to him.”

“Good,” Haldora said. “I get so little time with you. It is a pity if you spend most of it spoiling your handsome face with lines of worry.”

They had returned to their love-making after that, and while Haldora fell asleep with a wide grin on her face, Geoffrey endured a restless night. That frustration continued through the early morning, until Guilhem was finally summoned to Geoffrey’s chambers.

“No wine?” Guilhem asked as he entered.

There was a smile on Guilhem’s face. But Geoffrey did not reciprocate, replying with a harsh “sit.”

Guilhem’s brow rose, and he fell silent as he did as he was told. Geoffrey leaned forward, his fingers forming a triangle under his chin.

“What have you been telling our brothers in regards to their mother?” Geoffrey demanded.

“You mean Foulquesson and Philippe?” Guilhem asked. “I do not… have anything to really say about the Lady Haldora. She has been a fine host to us. Why, is there a problem with her?”

“No problem with her,” Geoffrey said. “Just the problem you help create with her children… and the comments you make to them about her relationship with me.”

Guilhem lowered his eyes. “Oh… those.”

“Yes, those,” Geoffrey said. “Why do you insist on antagonizing them?! Especially Foulquesson… given his temper.”

“It was a gentle ribbing,” Guilhem said. “Nothing more. It is hardly my fault he took it too far.”

“Nothing you do is gentle,” Geoffrey said. “You two are alike in that way.”

“I assure you, we are quite different,” Guilhem said. “It is his way. He can’t overcome his Norse blood. We on the other hand… the descendants of Rome, as you’ve pointed out.”

While it was true - Ness’ children were of Occitan descent after all - Geoffrey could not help but see this as a rather obvious attempt to appeal to his vanity.

“When I look at Foulquesson… I do not see a viking from the old tales,” Geoffrey said. “I see a man who lives up to his name. He is father’s son. And father often held grudges over insults, real and merely perceived. So now you do us both harm - your insult draws me into this mess.”

“You… do not fear him… do you?” Guilhem asked.

“No,” Geoffrey replied flatly. “I fear that either of you will push me toward having to take action against you. I have little desire to come down hard on family, especially my brothers. But I have my limits. And the two of you seem intent on testing them on this campaign!”

Guilhem frowned. “It is not my fault he is a murdering brute! Or that his mother openly lays with a married man.”

“You should mind your words,” Geoffrey said. “Need I remind you that your mother did the same - the very act responsible for you and your brother. And, let us not forget that your mother has been accused of violating her own vows with her current husband.”

Guilhem lowered his head. “Those are rumors…”

“That she was my father’s mistress?” Geoffrey asked. “I think you prove that those rumors are very much fact.”

“No, I meant the other talk,” Guilhem said. “The talk of the late Count of Narbonne.”

1117_Count_of_Narbonne_dead.jpg

“I have it on good word that it is true,” Geoffrey said. “So I would not cast stones, if I were you.”

The word was that of both Marguerite and Agnes - two women who rarely agreed on anything. So Geoffrey had no doubt of the validity.

Never mind the fact that Ness had previously thrown herself at him. No… had he chosen differently, this might be Guilhem in Foulquesson and Philippe’s position.

“I… I will avoid mocking them in the future,” Guilhem said.

“Good,” Geoffrey said. “Let us hope the damage is not already done.”

Unfortunately, Geoffrey soon got the sense it might be. His conversations with both Foulquesson and Philippe proved short in the days that followed. At supper, he could feel their eyes upon him as he sat with Haldora. So too did he see their stares… or their averted gaze… when they came upon him in the morning, knowing he had been with their mother the night prior.

It was awkward for them, and Geoffrey could see based on how quickly they moved past him, how cold their greetings and words were, that it was infuriating as well.

They would be in Angers for just another few weeks, he thought. If I can wait this out, it will fade from memory - time heals such wounds.

But it didn’t alleviate his stress. In a year’s time, Foulquesson may well have two counties at his disposal. And while Philippe would only be a consort to the Countess Sarrazine of Thouars, he might still be able to wield considerable influence. Even if he didn’t… Sarrazine may not look to favorably upon Geoffrey, given he had fired her father as marshal for his extortion of the peasantry…

If, if, if, he thought. So many ifs. I worry over nothing, most likely.

Most likely… most likely Foulques the Younger was not going to be wounded in a fight where they held a tremendous advantage in Iberia. And yet...

Those thoughts weighed on Geoffrey’s mind as he again sat in his father’s old chambers, this time with his father’s widow. They were not in bed, as was often the case, but instead seated across from one another at the table, each with cup of wine in hand, though Geoffrey had yet to drink from his.

“What troubles you?” Haldora wondered.

He looked at her and was taken back to years before… when he thought her pretty enough when she first arrived. Cute, naive young girl, his age, to marry his boor of a father.

She was still pretty enough, but she was far from young or naive anymore - if she ever was on the latter. But he cared for her, or he believed he did.

Yet, he knew it was time to speak the words he dreaded to say.

“I do not think my brothers have been sated by my attempts to mediate the situation,” Geoffrey said.

Haldora rolled her eyes. “Did you truly expect them to?”

“I had hoped to soothe the situation,” Geoffrey admitted.

“Time and distance shall do that,” Haldora said. “Soon my eldest will be focusing on ruling his new lands, while Philippe sees to a new wife and new responsibility. It will fade soon enough.”

“No, not soon enough,” Geoffrey said. “In the meantime, the wound deepens - and it will leave scars. It cannot be allowed to happen, for such scars could outlive us. It could affect my son.”

Haldora narrowed her gaze. “What are you saying?”

Geoffrey sighed. “I believe we need consider the nature of our relationship.”

Haldora’s brow furrowed further. “You are ending things between us?”

“Most things shall not change,” Geoffrey explained. “You will maintain your authority here in Anjou while I am away.”

“Most things… but something will,” Haldora said.

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “We can no longer carry on this affair.”

“So I am to be sacrificed?” Haldora asked. “Because you fear my sons will be… angry?”

“I court disaster,” Geoffrey said. “I do not need to give them incentive to plot against me, and both may end up in position to do so. I can handle such things… but can my son?”

“If you raise him well enough,” Haldora replied.

“I could raise him perfectly,” Geoffrey said. “There are things that one can only learn through experience. And it is experience he will not have.”

Haldora simply shook her head. “Excuses.”

“I am sorry,” Geoffrey said. “I truly am. You have suffered much at the hands of my family. None of it deserved - not for a woman of your grace and beauty.”

“Your words may be sweet, but their message bitter,” Haldora noted.

“I know,” Geoffrey said. “And while you may not believe it… it pains me to do this as well. I have said it before, but I often wonder a world where you were made my wife and not my father’s. Where would we be now? Happy, with a large family? I think…”

“I think your fanciful thoughts are not worth entertaining,” Haldora replied. “I am not your wife, and never have been. We cannot tear out the past and place something new in its stead. If you wish for me to remain your lover, I shall. But do not try to get me to mourn something that never was, so that I might forget your deeds tonight.”

Geoffrey nodded. “Then I shall leave it there. But I do offer you whatever you wish to make it right. I can find a husband from my court if you wish to end your loneliness.”

“Whatever you wish,” Haldora said. “I am but your humble servant, my lord.”

“There is no need for that,” Geoffrey said. “I simply wish to do right by you.”

“Have you considered there is no way to do right by me?” Haldora asked. “That what I wish… what I have come to enjoy… is the rare times we have been together? That I have finally discovered what passion and affection finally are after all these years, and you cannot simply replace that?”

“Someone else may be able to provide you with that.” Geoffrey said.

“No,” Haldora said. “You may wish to console yourself with some pithy replacement. But I do not care for it.”

She stood up and turned to leave.

“Haldora, please do not make this harder than it is,” Geoffrey told her.

She stopped in her tracks, and paused for a moment before turning to face him.

“My apologies, my lord,” she said as she bowed. “I should remember your needs come first, above all else’s. Then perhaps my sons’, and their bastard half-brothers. Eventually, something will fall to me. And I am grateful for it.”

“That… is not true,” Geoffrey said.

Haldora smirked and then spun around, departing the chamber and slamming the door behind her.

1117_Geoffrey_breaks_off_with_Haldora.jpg

….

“It is done,” Geoffrey said late that afternoon.

He stood with his eldest half-brother on the ramparts of Anjou with only a pair of guards present - a spot Geoffrey knew their father loved. It provided a lovely view of the countryside - something Geoffrey himself could appreciate.

Of course, today it was rather uncomfortable. A bitter January wind swirled underneath an overcast sky. Even Foulquesson, Norse blood and all, shivered under his furs, though he mustered a smile upon hearing the news.

“I am grateful for that,” Foulquesson said. “It is good you listen to reason.”

“I accept that it was a delicate matter,” Geoffrey said. “She is your mother after all… and you are blood.”

“You are wise brother,” Foulquesson said.

Geoffrey could see Foulquesson turning his head toward him from the periphery of his vision, but the duke did not reciprocate.

“You will also need to be wise in the future,” Geoffrey said. “For while I allowed this special circumstance, I will not going forward. Do you understand?”

“Of course, brother,” Foulquesson said.

“I do not think you do,” Geoffrey said, still not facing him. “You are not to question my personal affairs. If you dare do so again, there will be no conversation, no debate… no warning…”

Geoffrey pushed his brother forward, causing Foulquesson to lose his balance and stumble toward the edge of the ramparts.

In an instant, the rising Count of Vannes will be nothing but a bloody stain on the earth below, Geoffrey mused.

But at the last moment, Geoffrey yanked him back, sending his brawny younger brother to the stone on his rear, but still on the ramparts.

Before Foulquesson could get back to his feet, the guards stood beside Geoffrey, their spears at the ready.

“What is this?!” Foulquesson demanded.

“A reminder,” Geoffrey said. “Mind your place in the future, and that is all it shall be.”

The duke said nothing further as he turned and returned to the keep proper, leaving his stunned brother on his rear, in silence.

• 1Love
Reactions:
So, that last scene... My mind almost immediately jumped to two scenes in particular from earlier in this tale: The Royal Council meeting where Foulques the Elder choke-slammed Geoffrey onto the table, and Foulques's own funeral where Geoffrey returned the favor, if posthumously and without premeditation. (On further reflection, it also reminds me of the scene where a much younger Foulques was contemplating pushing Duke Guilhem off the very same tower when he thought the man was bedding Alearde, which I think may also be related tangentially.) Angers must bring something of his father out in Geoffrey, as he very much seems to be channeling the Iron Duke the whole chapter, and in all the worst ways.

In part, I think this may owe something to the relationship between Geoffrey and his half-brothers, particularly Foulquesson -- their father's namesake, the more favored of the two, and the son who most took after the man. It seems that not a single interaction passes where Geoffrey doesn't play up Foulquesson's resemblance to the Iron Duke; he almost seems obsessed with it. I suspect he's projecting the Iron Duke onto Foulquesson to the point that the boy almost becomes the Iron Duke in his mind (if only subconsciously), using him as a proxy to earn the respect and vindication he never truly got from his own father, using the role-reversal to prove that his methods are right, and taking every opportunity to avenge himself for every uncompensated slight by paying it back with interest.

The irony is, in his obsession to finally prove that he's better than his father in this way, Geoffrey doesn't realize how much like the Iron Duke he's becoming himself. That vow he made to himself all those years ago seems to ring more and more hollow with each passing month...

EDIT: Slight word tweaks to correct awkward phrasings chosen by a sleep-deprived mind.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The last scene was truly captivating. The demon made an appearance. As hard and ruthless as his father was I think Geoffrey may have just surpassed him. I know Foulques had gone after Geoffrey but I seem to remember that was on impulse. This was cold and calculating and with purpose. The question is will Foulquesson get the message or will he feel the need to counter the insult. Fun times ahead.

Reactions:
I didn’t expect Geoffrey to break things off with Haldora given his character. I like Specialist’s breakdown of the relationship between Foulquesson and Geoffrey. Spot-on it seems.

Though this is going to make division between the Angevin branches for generations to come. Despite his “solution,” in reality slights aren’t so easily forgiven.

Words are wind from AGOT is very much applicable, and with his latest action of establishing dominance on a person like Foulquesson, Geoffrey might have invited the very conflict he tried to avoid by appeasing his brothers.

I always thought the Foulquesson branch would be a thorn in the Geoffrey branch’s side. But we’ll have to see. The Angevins are in for an interesting future after Geoffrey’s generation.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In this France, I think that any noblewoman who hasn't been bedded by Gilles can't be counted as a harlot. Not that it appeases Foulquesson, but his mother showed a lot of restraint :p.

Foulquesson, Guilhem, soon Philippe as well... the brothers need Geoffrey's guidance else they would end up at each others' throats. And this brings out some less diplomatic qualities of the duke, which is frankly what he needs with his them. Though I doubt Foulquesson will readily forget that 'reminder'...

Reactions:
Ah, the ever fateful reminder that when there are four men in a room, it only takes two men being bribed for there to (magically and without plausible answer) suddenly be only three men in a room.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I especially like how this passage immediately calls back to Foulques the elder - Geoffrey sitting in his chamber, in his chair; and then the final scene of the passage has Geoffrey displaying a very Foulques-like act of physical ... education. Indeed Foulques' shadow lies heavy over this entire update.

I mean, everything in this update has Foulques' mark. Haldora is his wife, the various half-brothers are all his sons, his philandering and his temper sees expression in his offspring.

And again I like how you interpreted this in-game event.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great writing once again. Geoffrey: he learns (again) that once a stone is cast, it cannot be taken back. Just live with the consequences. So, he’s selfish when he beds Haldora, then seen as selfish when he breaks it up! As for Foulquesson, he was probably ‘counselled’ in the only way he would understand - but will this be another cast stone, with consequences he can never fully evade?

Reactions:
So, that last scene... My mind almost immediately jumped to two scenes in particular from earlier in this tale: The Royal Council meeting where Foulques the Elder choke-slammed Geoffrey onto the table, and Foulques's own funeral where Geoffrey returned the favor, if posthumously and without premeditation. (On further reflection, it also reminds me of the scene where a much younger Foulques was contemplating pushing Duke Guilhem off the very same tower when he thought the man was bedding Alearde, which I think may also be related tangentially.) Angers must bring something of his father out in Geoffrey, as he very much seems to be channeling the Iron Duke the whole chapter, and in all the worst ways.

In part, I think this may owe something to the relationship between Geoffrey and his half-brothers, particularly Foulquesson -- their father's namesake, the more favored of the two, and the son who most took after the man. It seems that not a single interaction passes where Geoffrey doesn't play up Foulquesson's resemblance to the Iron Duke; he almost seems obsessed with it. I suspect he's projecting the Iron Duke onto Foulquesson to the point that the boy almost becomes the Iron Duke in his mind (if only subconsciously), using him as a proxy to earn the respect and vindication he never truly got from his own father, using the role-reversal to prove that his methods are right, and taking every opportunity to avenge himself for every uncompensated slight by paying it back with interest.

The irony is, in his obsession to finally prove that he's better than his father in this way, Geoffrey doesn't realize how much like the Iron Duke he's becoming himself. That vow he made to himself all those years ago seems to ring more and more hollow with each passing month...

EDIT: Slight word tweaks to correct awkward phrasings chosen by a sleep-deprived mind.

Good observations on how the scene does mirror those others. There was certainly intent in there - the Guihelm scene was in my mind first and foremost because of the setting. The subconscious is there at all times in Angers, where Geoffrey literally cannot go anywhere without being reminded of his father. And it is just below the surface. Geoffrey channels his father, perhaps unintentionally, but as this is from his viewpoint, we see the Iron Duke is constantly in his thoughts.

A very good note on that Foulques/Foulquesson similarity too. A proxy for his father is an interesting idea, and it's certainly there in how he handles both his brothers in this chapter. Remember, he's even made mention to Guilhem that he is similar to Foulquesson too - though he may loathe to admit it. The martial-first, ambitious to the point of destroying family aspect of his younger brothers certainly reminds him of how they are everything his father claimed to want in his son, and everything he is not. Foulquesson also has the resemblance physically as well.

Of course, the ending suggests that, as you note, Geoffrey may be more like his old man than either of them, regardless of martial skill and despite his claims otherwise. :)

Great analysis!

The last scene was truly captivating. The demon made an appearance. As hard and ruthless as his father was I think Geoffrey may have just surpassed him. I know Foulques had gone after Geoffrey but I seem to remember that was on impulse. This was cold and calculating and with purpose. The question is will Foulquesson get the message or will he feel the need to counter the insult. Fun times ahead.

Geoffrey has certainly channeled his father in these two chapters - what with turning a blind eye to a murder and then threatening his brother so. You are right that Foulques' moments tended to be impulses, rather than calculated. But then Foulques rarely felt the need to establish dominance. Geoffrey felt like he lost control to his brother. And that is something he cannot allow to stand. So he takes drastic action to establish his authority.

It's also a counter to how he handled Guilhem, with whom he took great lengths to hide his involvement. But Guilhem didn't directly challenge him, and win a victory.

I didn’t expect Geoffrey to break things off with Haldora given his character. I like Specialist’s breakdown of the relationship between Foulquesson and Geoffrey. Spot-on it seems.

Though this is going to make division between the Angevin branches for generations to come. Despite his “solution,” in reality slights aren’t so easily forgiven.

Words are wind from AGOT is very much applicable, and with his latest action of establishing dominance on a person like Foulquesson, Geoffrey might have invited the very conflict he tried to avoid by appeasing his brothers.

I always thought the Foulquesson branch would be a thorn in the Geoffrey branch’s side. But we’ll have to see. The Angevins are in for an interesting future after Geoffrey’s generation.

I agree. Excellent analysis. Geoffrey can be rather pragmatic with his lovers... he did enjoy Haldora for lots of reasons. It was a literal conquest his father never managed to do as well - a huge boost to his ego. And I think his talk of fantasizing about being married to Marguerite is not just talk - Haldora, in his eyes, would have been uncomplicated, perhaps just as skilled and devoted. There was a bit of acting on something he wished he had in that affair.

This is certainly something that could leave bad blood for the future. But don't worry, there will be plenty of things that may cause the branches potentially turn on each other in the future. ;)

And in that they all could be problems in the future. And if not to Geoffrey, then his heir.

In this France, I think that any noblewoman who hasn't been bedded by Gilles can't be counted as a harlot. Not that it appeases Foulquesson, but his mother showed a lot of restraint :p.

Foulquesson, Guilhem, soon Philippe as well... the brothers need Geoffrey's guidance else they would end up at each others' throats. And this brings out some less diplomatic qualities of the duke, which is frankly what he needs with his them. Though I doubt Foulquesson will readily forget that 'reminder'...

Ha. Well, I'd say Gilles or Geoffrey - between the two the pair bedded almost every woman in the former realm! So, having crossed the Geoffrey hurdle, I think Haldora could count. :p Though yes, she is one of the few who refused the Lecher of Berry.

It was important. Geoffrey showed he can kill Foulquesson, and if he gets any ideas, Geoffrey can also bring the might of the realm on him (hence the guards). It's a show his brother is likely to understand - or at least, Geoffrey, believing it's something his father would understand, thinks Foulquesson would as well.

Ah, the ever fateful reminder that when there are four men in a room, it only takes two men being bribed for there to (magically and without plausible answer) suddenly be only three men in a room.

Heh. Geoffrey certainly hopes things don't go that far... but we shall see.

Even when breaking up with Haldora, Geoffrey finds a way to give Foulquesson grief.

Well written chapter. Alas, Geoffrey and Haldora as a thing is no more.

He had to. Foulquesson had gotten a big up on him in this chapter. Letting that go would have likely embolded Foulquesson more in the future, and he has been quite bold lately!

I am a bit saddened by Geoffrey and Haldora ending it. I didn't get enough of a chance to write them, but there was a hint of normalcy (or as normal you can get with a guy who is bedding his stepmother) that he lacks in his other relationships. Genuine affection, at least until this messy end.

I especially like how this passage immediately calls back to Foulques the elder - Geoffrey sitting in his chamber, in his chair; and then the final scene of the passage has Geoffrey displaying a very Foulques-like act of physical ... education. Indeed Foulques' shadow lies heavy over this entire update.

I mean, everything in this update has Foulques' mark. Haldora is his wife, the various half-brothers are all his sons, his philandering and his temper sees expression in his offspring.

And again I like how you interpreted this in-game event.

Thanks! And I like your analysis for this chapter! It's excellent - as is often the case.

There was a very much a callback to Foulques and it makes sense, doesn't it? This is the world Foulques built, and while Geoffrey removed much from it in terms of people, his retreat from Angers meant so much of it is still Foulques. It his the Iron Duke's chamber, because Geoffrey has made it his in name only - he's just visiting after all. The ramparts was Foulques' place - and again Geoffrey is just visiting. He is playing in his father's old world in this chapter, for better or for worse.

And then as you note, this is all the remnants of Foulques legacy - wife, children, all squabbling in his old lands, all vying for some sort of dominance. And it does, in a way, end as a Foulques conflict usually did. The ruler comes out ahead by sullying his reputation and morals further, the challengers put in their place, but still somewhat emboldened while Haldora keeps her dignity, but suffers through frustration and disappointment once again as her wants and needs are cast aside. :(

I do have a soft spot for Haldora, who has endured so much in this story. I actually intended to let her remain happy as Geoffrey's mistress, but the game had other ideas.

Great writing once again. Geoffrey: he learns (again) that once a stone is cast, it cannot be taken back. Just live with the consequences. So, he’s selfish when he beds Haldora, then seen as selfish when he breaks it up! As for Foulquesson, he was probably ‘counselled’ in the only way he would understand - but will this be another cast stone, with consequences he can never fully evade?

Thanks! It is often difficult, or impossible, to put the cat back into the bag. And you are correct - he was selfish in all of his actions. Why, you might even say selfishness and callousness begets more selfishness and callousness!

Foulquesson's reaction is interesting, because these ripples don't necessarily have to hit Geoffrey directly! It could just be showing Foulquesson how to behave - and while he may not do it with Geoffrey, he might well feel like he can with others...

To all - glad you enjoyed this chapter! Getting the flow for it took a bit of time, but it hit on a lot of things I thought were important to touch on. Lots of the Iron Duke has been in the last two chapters, and that's what happens when you travel to his old home and engage in his favorite pastime (warring).

The next chapter actually shifts quite a bit - as it's an Agnes chapter. We've looked back - it's time to look forward. A new player emerges on the scene and we get a rather important event as well. It's also a chapter that is finished, besides some fine tuning. So, hopefully I can get it out today, and if not today, tomorrow!

Thanks as always for your comments, feedback, and excellent analysis - which was especially excellent all around for this chapter!

Reactions:
The Iron Duke hasn't been this present in a chapter in sone yime, we even got to see his portrait!! Geoffrey as a clan leader is proving to be every bit as authoritative and ruthless as his father was...

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Iron Duke hasn't been this present in a chapter in sone yime, we even got to see his portrait!! Geoffrey as a clan leader is proving to be every bit as authoritative and ruthless as his father was...

A fine note as well! I did think it was amusing to see his portrait and it definitely fit how things played out.

Onto the next chapter! As always, hope you all enjoy!

Reactions:
Chapter 176 - September 1117
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 176
September 1117 - Bordeaux, Duchy of Aquitaine

Agnes d’Anjou eased back against the smooth stone, letting her body relax in the hot water that surrounded her.

Mostly submerged, she did allow her arms to feel the much cooler stone outside the bath, to bring a bit of relief from the warmth. A few beads of sweat dripped from her forehead, though she knew it would not be long before she adjusted and the water itself cooled.

A few feet away from her, a young woman disrobed in full view, not even asking if Agnes would avert her eyes, before slipping into the bath herself, sinking deeper into the waters and letting her long, curled brown hair float for a moment before pulling her head back out.

Of course she would make a show of it, Agnes thought. She’s young, lithe, and has never birthed a child.

Agnes tried not to let that bit of resentment take hold of her thoughts, though there was a bit of jealousy, given she had birthed her bastard Beatrice when she was about that age.

There was no child yet on the way for the daughter of the Duke of Toulouse, also names Agnes, who was now also the Countess of Poitiers and Saintonge by virtue of her marriage to Guilhem d’Anjou. And the elder Agnes wondered if there would be children, given her knowledge of her Guilhem’s preference of the company of men, and his time away with the Angevin army in Brittany.

Not that it had stopped Foulquesson. His wife, Beatritz, had birthed their second child, a daughter named Marguerite, in February - with the girl conceived just before her father departed to fight against the Bretons.

But if lack of children despite her couple of years of marriage were a concern for the younger countess, she hid it well, as she let loose a long sigh and leaned her head back against the stone.

1117_Essa_of_Toulouse.jpg

1117_Marguerite_the_Younger.jpg

“This is magnificent,” she cooed. “It feels much nicer than the tub I am accustomed to.”

“The stone is how the Romans did it,” Agnes said. “Though what I would love to experience is the natural baths in Dax. Sadly, with the tension between my brother and Duke Adhemar of Gascony, I shall have to wait.”

“A pity,” the Countess of Poitiers replied. “Perhaps we should pay a visit when the situation is… more palatable.”

A smirk came to Agnes’ lips. Her new sister-by-law seemed to be quite taken with her. She had practically joined herself at the hip to Agnes in the early summer, when she was in Thouars as Guilhem’s representative for Philippe’s wedding to Countess Sarrazine. Guilhem, Geoffrey and the others had to remain in the north, as they were conducting their sieges Cornouaille - which had proved successful, as they now moved onto the young king's keep in Leon.

1117_Breton_situation.jpg

In fairness, slight jealousy over the younger woman’s physique aside, Agnes did enjoy her sister-by-law. The Countess of Poitiers and Saintonge, or ‘Essa’ as she told Agnes to call her, was charming, smart and sociable. She had an eagerness to learn as well, and wanted all the advice Agnes could pass on to her on overseeing a county, given that Guilhem had given her some regency duties while he was away.

It was a far different cry than with Sarrazine, who rarely kept focus on Agnes’ lessons while the young countess served as her lady. She was not dumb - Sarrazine liked learning, but had less interest in actual rulership. They got along well enough, but they never bonded and Agnes had doubts about the girl’s suitability for her role.

1117_Countess_Sarrazine.jpg
1117_Philippe_of_Thouars.jpg

There were none with Essa, who Agnes was convinced would make a fine partner to her younger half-brother. So when Essa paid a visit Bordeaux and requested a private meeting, Agnes decided to show her a fine time, in this bathhouse in the city itself.

It was a place she had discovered in the past year - the appeal being the areas that had stone pools, rather than wooden tubs to bathe. And when she had mentioned it to Essa at the wedding, the young woman was eager to try it out herself.

If her wide grin was any indication, the countess was enjoying herself.

“So, my dear Essa,” Agnes said, “While I imagine you did wish to sample this place, surely that is not why you have traveled from Poitiers!”

Essa inhaled the aromas of the bath - the water had been scented with lavender - before slowly shaking her head.

“No, it was not the reason, but I am glad you have chosen here,” she said. Then she propped herself up against the side of the pool, and looked at Agnes square. “Have you heard the news of my father?”

Agnes nodded. The Duke of Toulouse had fallen into the clutches of the German Emperor. Reports on how it happened varied, but in many ways it was moot - all that of interest to Agnes now was if he would survive long enough to be ransomed.

1117_Guilhem_imprisoned.jpg

“Have you heard word from your brother on securing his release?” Agnes asked.

“I… have,” Essa said. “He says he is working finding the funds. But in truth, I have heard no real effort will be made.”

Agnes grew wide-eyed. “How can they not?”

“I have heard that they feel… it is an endeavor not worth taking,” Essa said. “My father’s body fails him. It is why he was captured - he could not ride fast enough to escape after losing the keep in Hainault. And so, my brother feels as though he will be paying for a corpse, not our father. Or at least that is what that troublesome Countess of Carcassonne believes.”

“She has say?” Agnes asked.

“She has wormed her way in a position of influence with my brother,” Essa explained. “She has ties with many of the noble houses in Toulouse.”

“I see,” Agnes said. “That news for your father… most distressing.”

“I thank you for your sympathy, my lady,” Essa said.

“It is more than sympathy,” Agnes said. “I think well of your father. You may not know this, but in a different world, I might have been his wife.”

Essa eased off her support and leaned forward. “Truly?”

“My father and your grandfather had some discussions over it, I was told,” Agnes said. “But then your grandfather was murdered, and your father forced into hiding. Nothing could ever be agreed upon after that. In some ways, it is too bad - I have always found him charming.”

“I see, my lady,” Essa replied.

Agnes realized she needed to be careful - the girl likely did not like a woman swooning over her father. What’s more, had Agnes been Toulouse’s wife, Essa likely would never have been born.

“But it is in the past,” Agnes said. “And our families are now joined anyway - I imagine you shall make a better wife for my brother than I would have for your father.”

“You flatter me, my lady,” Essa said. “Any man, especially a lord, would be fortunate to have a woman as capable as yourself as a wife. Few can attest to getting the best of the Duke of Champagne, and none of them women - besides yourself.”

She certainly knows flattery, Agnes thought. But she enjoyed it nonetheless.

“In any case,” Agnes said. “Do you wish for something to be done for your father? That I petition my brother to secure the funds for his release, as a loan, or in exchange for a favor?”

“You are kind to even suggest that, my lady,” Essa said. “But I could not impose such a thing upon your family. I fear they may be right about my father… he may well be dying. And falling into the Kaiser’s hands will not aid in his recovery, at all.”

“But you brought it up for a reason,” Agnes said. “So what do you wish?”

“My thoughts, my lady, are to the future. My brother stands to inherit Toulouse, as is his right,” Essa said. Her eyes drifted to the water.“ But I fear for the future the people there.”

“Oh? And why is that?” Agnes wondered.

“Toulouse has been weakened by this foolish conflict Alphonse of Valois dragged us into,” Essa replied. “Yet we must stand on our own. My father… he would be capable. He was… he is… a great man. But my brother? He is not. And many in Toulouse already know this. My father’s ministers… some of his lords…”

“A bold statement to make,” Agnes noted as she rubbed her chin. “And not always accurate. Some doubted my brother before he ascended from my father.”

“They were fools,” Essa said. “Your brother had already done much in Aquitaine and Poitou - at such a young age. Greatness, like with my father, stared them in the face. They were blind not to see it.”

My father would probably slap you for that, Agnes said, unable to resist a smirk. Though she did agree with it - Geoffrey was quite capable and likely the next Duke of Toulouse would not reach such heights.

1117_Heir_to_Toulouse.jpg

But she compliments again. What does she fish for?

“What is to be done then?” Agnes wondered. “You seek an alliance?”

“Of sorts,” Essa said. “But not with my brother. He would squander it.”

“Then what?”

Essa looked around for a moment, then slid her way across the small pool and close to Agnes. Leaning in, she whispered: “Your brother, the duke, wishes to be king. That much is no secret, as Duke Adhemar in Gascony makes no bones about it. And I should very much like to help my brother-by-law in his goal… by pledging Toulouse to his re-forged kingdom of Aquitaine.”

“And how can you promise a duchy you do not stand to inherit?” Agnes whispered back.

“Because your lordly brother will give it me,” Essa replied.

Agnes smiled broadly. “And why would he do that?”

“Because as King of Aquitaine he can claim dominion over Toulouse,” Essa whispered. “He can demand my brother submit to his will. When he refuses, he can declare him in violation of his vassal oaths, and revoke the duchy. Then, I will offer myself as the next heir in line - and swear oaths of fealty to him.”

Agnes again rubbed her chin. An interesting plan…

“And then, we defeat your brother,” Agnes said. “And you become duchess, maintaining your oaths to Geoffrey.”

Wide grin on her face, Essa nodded. “Simple, no?”

“I can assure you, none of these matters are ever simple,” Agnes said. “Your lords will accept this? You have other brothers. Three or four? They would be ahead of you in line.”

“Most will,” Essa replied. “They care not if Geoffrey oversees us, so long as he protects our interests. And I have little doubt he will - much better than my brother at least. As for my other brothers - they are not yet of age. And my father has had many wives over the years… already some question the legitimacy of his unions.”

Agnes had her doubts, but she continued. “There is another matter - my brother is no king. You would not swear fealty to another duke.”

“No, I would not,” Essa admitted. “But it would be a simple thing for him to take a crown. He already has more lands than the King of the Franks, Bretons, Navarre and is comparable to the Queen of Castille. The Prince-Bishop of Agen sits on his council - he could crown him, and be done with it.”

“I promise you, my dear,” Agnes said. “It is not as easy as you make it sound.”

Essa frowned and pushed herself a little further away. “So you will not help me?”

“I did not say that,” Agnes replied. “I think Geoffrey would be quite interested in this plan. But… it will take time… and the right opportunity to work.”

Essa frowned. “But… after my father’s… time… we may not be able to wait long. Things may grow more entrenched… support may lessen. My younger brothers will come of age...”

“If he is an incapable as you say he is,” Agnes said. “He will weaken his support. And if he is not… then we will see what opportunity is provided to us. We do have stronger forces than with Toulouse.”

“I… of course my lady,” Essa said.

Agnes slid over to her and put on a warm smile. “Your ambition can be a powerful tool. But you must be careful how much of it you show. It will look unsightly on a pretty young thing such as yourself, even more so than it does on an old woman like me.”

Essa nodded. “I know… I thank you for hearing out my suggestion, my lady. And for this invitation and for your advice.”

Agnes chuckled. “You need not worry yourself, my dear. You are young, and you learn. As I was… and I did.”

….

The next day, Agnes sat alone in her chambers in the keep in Bordeaux, quietly sipping on her wine as she reflected on young Essa.

Her warning was heart-felt - Agnes remembered Patricia’s recounting of what befell ambitious women. And it was clear Essa dreamed big - removing her brother in favor of herself was no small thing. Agnes herself was a touch put off by it. Yet she had to remind herself that testing the boundaries of what a woman could do was something she had done all her life - she should be aiding Essa and guiding her, not retreating to what others would say.

And besides, such an attack hound was valuable… if she could be controlled.

But between her and Guilhem… can we control them? If Geoffrey did hand Guilhem Poitou… they would control much of this nascent kingdom.

Not that they had a kingdom yet. Geoffrey was insistent on re-forming Aquitaine. It was his dream, and it was a way of gaining legitimacy that simply declaring a Kingdom of Anjou could not. And without that kingdom, Essa’s grand plans, useful as they were, would have to wait.

A knock at the door took her from her thoughts. Alias of Perigord waited on the other side. The steward had not come with her and Essa to the city - he had been investigating reports of corruption and extortion from the current marshal - Bohemond of Blaye. She imagined he had news on that.

“I do,” he replied after he closed the door behind him and sat down opposite her. “And our fears have been confirmed. The reports were true.”

It drew a slow shake of Agnes head. He probably thought he could escape notice with Geoffrey in Brittany. He was mistaken.

1117_Marshal_corruption.jpg

“My brother set precedent with the Count of Thouars,” Agnes said. “He has forfeited his office.”

“Agreed,” Alias said. “But… you know such a decision made by us will draw scrutiny.”

“Geoffrey has given us authority,” Agnes said. “I have thought on this since you first brought me rumours of his offenses - my mother once seized and imprisoned a heretic priest, though he was on my father’s council. If wrongdoing has been found...”

“I agree,” Alias said. “But we must think on this - not whether he is removed. However, we will need a new marshal - and the best options are all with Geoffrey on campaign.”

That was a fair point. She guessed the most likely choices would be either Foulquesson, Guilhem, Herve or possibly Mayor Aton of Angouleme. It would still require Geoffrey input and he was not here to give it.

“Then we must wait?” Agnes wondered. “All the while he extorts the peasants… and at a time of harvest! It will not go over well… especially with these rumblings of those nobles causing troubles.”

Those nobles were not a high-born lot - but a native Occitan knight from Narbonne named Anfos was rumored to be gathering support action against some of the lords of the region whom he considered Frankish… and thus foreign.

Of course all of the dukes had Frankish blood - Geoffrey and Adhemar both had Frankish fathers and Toulouse had a Frankish mother. So this gathering storm could rain down upon any of them, though Agnes feared Geoffrey’s presence away, and the greater concentration of Frankish lords in Aquitaine made them a likely target.

“Have you had any luck finding this lord?” she asked Alias.

“No,” he admitted. “And with a child ruling in Narbonne, and the general uncertainty in Toulouse itself, I do not think we will find him. But, I believe that makes Toulouse a more likely target for his attack, if he even manages to gather more than rabble.”

The logic was sound, especially given what Agnes now knew of Toulouse thanks to Essa. But she could not shake the concern.

“We need Essa as duchess now,” she lamented.

“Essa as duchess?” Alias asked. “Guilhem’s wife?”

Agnes nodded and recounted to Alias the conversation from the day before. When it was done, the now wide-eyed count simply eased back in his seat and took a long drink of his wine.

“That is… something,” Alias said. “She does not lack in boldness.”

“And who are either of us to fault her for that?” Agnes replied. “But I do not know how it would be yet possible…”

Alias began to chuckle, before it quickly became full on laughter. Perplexed, Agnes asked: “What do you find so humorous?”

“It is fate!” he said. “God favors us after all!”

“What do you mean?” Agnes asked.

“The talk of the marshal is not the main reason I came to see you,” Alias said. “Alonso has just sent word - our efforts have borne fruit. Many of the local lords in Gascony are willing to accept Geoffrey’s claim over the lands.”

Now it was Agnes’ turn to grow wide-eyed. “Truly? What has changed their minds?”

1117_Claim_on_Gascony.jpg

“Brittany,” Alias said. “The stories your brother offering vassalage to the Bretons, followed by the death of King Agustin in battle, have many believing his rule is unavoidable, and possibly even divinely granted. They do not wish to run afoul of authority in either case.”

Agnes smiled. This was it. While it was not preferable to go from one conflict to another, and possibly one after that, this was what Geoffrey wished. He could claim Gascony, declare himself King of the reborn Aquitaine, then accept vassalage from Essa, before turning on a Toulouse in turmoil following the duke’s death.

It is too perfect, she thought. Something will go wrong.

But that was something she had to push from her mind. Perhaps Alias was right - these two events happening one day after the other? It was a sign - a sign some excellent wine was in order.

She ordered a cask of some fine rose opened, after making sure a messenger was dispatched to the north to tell her brother of the news, and then sent word for Essa to join them.

They had much to toast, much to plan, and much to be ready for.

• 1Love
Reactions:
t is too perfect, she thought. Something will go wrong.

Yup. My guess is either the Church kicks up a fuss (they find out something sinful is up with the House of Anjou or some other thing) or a family civil war/crisis...like G dying or being crippled or something like that.

However, we could both be wrong and this comes clean.
And then all the trouble starts as soon as the kingdom actually begins! What a twist that would be. Maybe England invades or Germany goes nuts or the Muslims come back or etc etc etc.

I like this would be duchess. She seems to have a lot beneath the surfance going on and seems to be at least somewhat aware and intelligent (which places her above 75% of the nobles in France).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Essa does remind me somewhat of a younger, bright-eyed Agnes -- and those are some absolutely scrumptious character stats! (Except intrigue, which is a little surprising, especially given she has a top-tier Intrigue education... The RNG works in mysterious ways. EDIT: D'oh! It's Learning that's the low stat, nevermind.)

Matters certainly do seem to be working in Geoffrey's favor. Taking Gascony will finally complete the Angevin "manifest destiny" of securing complete control over France's western coast, and should put the Kingdom of Aquitaine within easy grasp.

This assumes, of course, that all goes according to plan -- and Geoffrey knows all too well how a seemingly sure bet can go completely awry in but a moment's time.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The game is afoot well and truly now - the day must be seized, fate tempted and cliches generally pushed to within an inch of their lives! :D Geoffrey may not get another chance like this before he is struck down by ailment, enemy or bad luck, so he may as well go for it.

Agnes (major) shows her subtlety and Agnes (minor) her youthful energy. The two together could bring interesting opportunities. I’ll be getting my beers and popcorn ready for these coming episodes! ;)

Reactions: