• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It looks great to me. Two thoughts, only:

• The border of land around the Black Sea that the Greeks control looks slightly wider in the new map than in the old, as well as in the description you gave us of the precarious nature of that portion of the Greek lands (mainly cities with the hinterland not under tight control.) But I trust you on this! :cool:
  • Why do the Austrians control Suez? I can't remember if you talked about that in a previous post but couldn't really show it on the old Victoria map but now you can. Just noticed the slightly deeper purple there. Of course, it makes sense that you would control it to facilitate communication and trade with the Indian Empire and points even further East.

Looking forward to seeing where this takes us!

The next update will be a round up of the world in 1908. There will be a world map but more importantly amore in depth look at each of the top 16 powers in the world.

I'll use the same scoring system that I used for the 1860 round up. Here is my explanation of the system:

Anyway, I'm going to list and number the Powers, giving them population figures (European) alongside figures for industry, military (land and sea) and a Tech rating.

in Industry and Military (sea) the UK gets 100 points so effectively in these chategories the other countries are measured as a percentage of the UK whilst in Military (land) Austria gets 100 so the same process works again. Germany will get the top tech rating of 100.

To decide the rankings I will let the industrial score count for 1 point per point but each military score will count for 1/2 a point as there are two seperate scores (I'm effectively weighting the score). I shall also give 10 points per 10 million citizens (European). I'll also use the tech score, weighting it so each tech point counts for 1/2 a point (Tech is not too important compared to the other factors). This will give me a score from where I can decide the rankings. This should give me more organic results than if I abritarily named them in the order I would assume they's come.

I'll post the number at the end of each section on the powers.

All figures are made up by me using RL stats alongside simple conjecture. These do not come from Victoria although I used that as a tool for the populations.

Here's a link to the 1860 round up: link

Anyway the top 16 powers (not neccesarily in order) are:

Austria
France
UK
Germany
Russia
Greece
Japan
New England
Italy
Hungary
Syrian Empire
Poland
Brazil
Netherlands
Scandinavia
Spain

For comparisons I'll also include 1860 populations for the countries I did then and also a few that were easy to do and for the powers that made the cut in 1860 I will post what changes they made in their position eg One nation may climb from 7th to 5th.

Update will be out tommorow morning or mabye late today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Thanks for the responses on the map. I'll try to tidy up the Serb-Croat and Serb-Hungarian border as well as the Hungarian-Romanian border and the Greek-Russian border.

Goody! This will be interesting. :D

The World in 1908

zWorldMap-1.png

In 1908, as Europe prepared itself for a seemingly inevitable conflict it dominated the world as never before. Half of Asia, much of the Americas and all of Africa, Australasia and the Pacific lay under European rule. Yet the continent’s golden age was now in the past, and now having grown fat on the fruits of Empire the 20th century would see the decline of the Old Continent, never again would Europe be quite so important.

The Great Powers

# 1 - Austrian Empire (1860 - # 1)

habsburgflag.png

Population: 127,000,000 (1860 – 54,000,000)
Industry: 100
Military (Land): 100
Military (Naval): 69
Technology: 93

Total: 351

In 1908 the Austrian Empire was by far the most powerful state on earth having greatly increased the wide gap that already existed between it and its nearest rivals in 1860. It ruled over the well over a hundred millions citizens in Europe and well over a billion overseas, never before had such a large portion of the world’s peoples sworn allegiance to one man – the new Emperor August.

Austria drew much of its strength from its extremely large population. Austria was the 3rd most populous state on earth behind only China (a state in utter chaos) and the Indian Empire (a semi-independent state that was within the Habsburg Empire). This large population and the state’s untold wealth made it easy for Austria to establish the world’s strongest army and the world’s largest industrial base.

ethicities1908.jpg

Yet one weakness of this large European Empire was Austria’s failure to evolve into a nation state – there were 9 ethnic groups with over 1 million people within Austria whilst barely over half of the population was German. The liberal democracy founded within Austria had encouraged large scale immigration from Poland, Hungary and Italy as these neighbouring peoples living under more oppressive regimes looked to take advantage of the better living standards and within Austria. Meanwhile the portion of the Empire that was German had slightly increased since 1860 due to a lower rate of emigration than in other parts of the Empire whilst emigration from Lombardy was higher than anywhere else, this lead to a decrease in the portion of the populace that was Italian despite immigration from the Italian state to the South.

Austria achieved its remarkable population growth due to a number of factors. Unlike France and Britain Austria maintained a very high population growth rate from 1860 until 1908 and unlike states like Italy and Germany there was a rather low rate of emigration. Whilst millions of Austrians did leave the majority who left went to Austria’s Dominions – helping to create smaller Austrian societies abroad.

# 2 - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1860 - #2)

800px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom_sv.png

Population: 52,000,000 (1860 – 34,000,000)
Industry: 78
Military (Land): 34
Military (Naval): 100
Technology: 98

Total: 244

In the period 1860-1908 British industry went into relative decline. This was largely due to the fact that Britain seemed to reach a limit to its urbanisation – further urban growth was simply impossible for Britain’s agriculture to support.

However Britain continued to support the world’s largest and most modern fleet spread over 3 Oceans, the Mediterranean and the North Sea. The United Kingdom also remained at the forefront of world technological progress.

Britain’s overseas Empire was comparable to that of France, perhaps slightly superior. But unlike the Russians who colonised Siberia, the Austrians who colonised their Dominions and the French who colonised Algeria the British lacked a location that had been heavily colonised by Brits. The majority of British and Irish emigrants did not go to the colonies but to New England.

The British also continued to exert influence over Scandinavia and the Netherlands in Europe (two states that shared a Monarch with Britain until 1901) whilst Albion also held extensive interests in the Balkans.

# 3 – France (1860 - #4)

tricolour.png

Population: 42,000,000 (1860 - 38,000,000)
Industry: 68
Military (Land): 87
Military (Naval): 81
Technology: 90

Total: 237

The past 5 decades had been an incredible success for France but this success was marred by one major problem – France had Europe’s lowest birth rate. At the Treaty of Vienna Austria’s population had been marginally higher than France’s by 1860 it was 16,000,000 million higher and now in 1908 it was more than treble France’s population. Whilst the French population increased by 4 million between 1860 and 1908 Austria’s increased by 73,000,000.

The fine foreign policy of the French during the reign of Napoleon IV secured France’s position as she won a major victory in the Franco-Spanish War and won a diplomatic coup that formed the Entente alliance with Russia. France also maintained significant Oriental influence thanks to its long standing alliance with Japan – similarly to the situation with Russia France ensured Japan’s strength in order to keep guarantee its protection (in this case the protection of its Asian Empire). Despite now being in a weaker state French diplomacy had ensured the Empire’s continuation as one of the world’s foremost powers.

# 4 - Russia

800px-Flag_of_Russia_svg.png

Population: 105,000,000
Industry: 29
Military (Land): 96
Military (Naval): 53
Technology: 64

Total: 236

In 1860 Russia did not exist. It had endured centuries of foreign occupation by the Mongols and Lithuanians and since the Treaty of Vienna division under 3 Principalities. But in 1875 The Russian Empire was formed as the Russian Princes united under the Muscovite banner following the defeat of the Mongols. Since then the Russia had not ceased its expansion. By 1908 it ruled everything between the Baltic Sea and the Gobi Desert.

Yet it was not the years of expansion that made Russia a world power but the signing of the Entente in 1885. It was in French interests to create a superpower in Eastern Europe and they had done their upmost to do just that. The Trans-Siberian Railway opened up Siberia for colonisation and stamped Moscow’s authority over its Eastern possessions whilst French expertise and investment had led to the beginnings of Russian industry and the modernisation of both her fleet and army.

# 5 - New England (1860 - # 5)

United20States202820Star20Flag20184.gif

Population: 56,000,000 (1860 - 27,000,000)
Industry: 87
Military (Land): 21
Military (Naval): 64
Technology: 91

Total: 225

Throughout the latter half of the 19th century New England developed into a magnate for mass immigration. The world’s latest land of milk and honey New England was certainly good alternative to the squalor of Britain’s industrial sprawls, the oppression of Eastern Europe, the militarism of Germany and the internal chaos of Italy. Although the emergence of Russia denied New England the chance to break into the top 4 Powers the state’s rise in importance was clear.

Of the top 16 powers it was now the third most populous, its once laughed at military had evolved into a force to be reckoned with, it has closed the gap of the major European powers and even overtaken Germany whilst the technological lead once enjoyed by the strongest European states had been closed altogether.

# 6 – Germany (1860 - #3)

Reichflag.png

Population: 36,000,000 (1860 - 24,000,000)
Industry: 76
Military (Land): 84
Military (Naval): 49
Technology: 100

Total: 223

Germany decline in position can largely be attributed to its comparatively small population. Despite very high birth rates Germany failed to match Austria’s growth (largely due to mass emigration) and was therefore unable to support an army as powerful as Austria’s or build an industrial base as large as Austria’s. Yet only Britain was more urbanised than Germany and the country boasted both the most modern army in the world and some of the most high-tech industries. Prussian military training was infamous the world over and Germany made up for the lack of Empire by spreading its influence through German rifles and Prussian officers who armed and trained many of the world’s militaries.

Frustratingly for its rulers the German Empire had been forced to largely abandon its old dream of uniting the Germanic people due to the new geo-political situation that arose following the formation of Russia. The Russian invasion of Lithuania in 1880 almost sent Germany into a two front war with Russia and France and sent the Empire into the arms of its old rival Austria as it was forced to form the Triple Alliance (later the Quadruple Alliance) in 1881 for protection. The Empire is entirely reliant upon Austria to protect its Western flank from France.

# 7 – Greece (1860 - # 7)

800px-Flag_of_Greece_1828-1978_s-1.png

Population: 39,000,000 (1860 - 20,000,000)
Industry: 61
Military (Land): 64
Military (Naval): 70
Technology: 85

Total: 201

The Greek decision to model itself upon Austria catapulted the Greek Empire to the table of the world’s supreme powers. Much like Austria the country was divided, although it had substantial minorities of Circassians, Bulgarians, Albanians, Serbs and (despite the expulsion) Turks the main division was in religion. The West of the Empire was Orthodox and the East was Muslim, the Emperor was Christian and his capital Sunni.

The creation of a liberal Constitutional Monarchy had also borne fruit as emigration remained comparatively low allowing the country to overcome its greatest barrier to Great Power status – the small number of Greeks.

In foreign affairs the young Empire had been outstandingly successful. In the Balkan War (1878-1880) Greece won a major victory, conquering substantial lands in both Anatolia and Europe. Greece also built a large Empire which with Greek East Africa, Ethiopia and Indochina was amongst the most desirous in the world.

Everything had pushed Greece towards Austria. Greece was entirely reliant upon the Suez Canal for maintaining contact with its Empire in the East. Greece was opposed to French rule in Cyprus and British rule on Crete and also to the meddling of the two powers in Balkan affairs. Much more importantly Greece was under severe threat from Russia on its North-Eastern border and from Russia’s Serb and Bulgarian lapdogs on its North-Western border. These circumstances led Greece into the Triple Alliance which was renamed the Quadruple Alliance in 1890 following Greece’s admittance.

# 8 – Japan (1860 - # 8)

Niponese.png

Population: 53,000,000 (1860 - 30,000,000)
Industry: 58
Military (Land): 36
Military (Naval): 74
Technology: 72

Total: 199

Japan remained Asia’s only power of any real note. More concerned with the troubling situation in China than with the tensions in Europe Japan had been the primary supporter of the idea of the Legation Cities and provided more troops to occupy them than any other state.

Throughout the past 5 decades Japan had mostly looked to increase its influence over its old Chinese foes but had secured expansion into the Pacific.

The primary tenant of Japanese foreign policy for the past century had been simply to maintain its alliance with France. It had been Japan’s Napoleonic alliance with France that allowed it to modernise whilst Asia remained primitive and for the past century the French had not ceased in their assistance for Japanese industry and the Japanese military. The Franco-Japanese alliance made it clear that should either nation’s lands in Asia come under attack from a foreign power the other would go to war to protect the defending power. This provided security for both states.

The 8 secondary powers will come tommorow.

If (when) the Entente goes to war with the Quadruple Alliance, what will the Japanese do? I doubt that they will easily give up the opportunity to take over all those juicy Greek and Austrian colonies in Asia...

Where could Germany expand? Are they not dependant on Polish grain imports, just as Britain needs Scandinavian and Dutch trade to survive and feed her people? :p

Somehow I still cannot accept Russians emergence. Russians must themselves be a minority in their new Empire.
At least 20 million Ukrainans, 10 million Lithuanians, 15m Mongols/Tatars and something close to 15 millions Turkish tribesmen in Central Asia.
How many Russians?

If (when) the Entente goes to war with the Quadruple Alliance, what will the Japanese do? I doubt that they will easily give up the opportunity to take over all those juicy Greek and Austrian colonies in Asia...

I'm not sure it would be all that easy. Imagine the bloodbath if India started to conscript troops for a major war on the Asian mainland ....

Where could Germany expand? Are they not dependant on Polish grain imports, just as Britain needs Scandinavian and Dutch trade to survive and feed her people? :p

Somehow I still cannot accept Russians emergence. Russians must themselves be a minority in their new Empire.
At least 20 million Ukrainans, 10 million Lithuanians, 15m Mongols/Tatars and something close to 15 millions Turkish tribesmen in Central Asia.
How many Russians?

Because of this comment I've gone off and created an ethnic pie chart for Russia.

russiasethincs.jpg

As you can see Russians alone have a large absolute majority. In this reality Bellorussians and Ukrainians would also be mostly considered to be Russians and that would take Russia's national pop up to 83%.

Your estimation of Lithuanians was rather high :p. I included Estonians as Lithuanians and still had exaggerate the figures to make sure they got 1%.

Everything that comes from the East in listed as Turkic here.

I still plan on doing the secondary powers later today.

Secondary Powers

# 9 - Spain

spanishrep.png

Population: 36,000,000 (1860 - 29,000,000)
Industry: 47
Military (Land): 28
Military (Naval): 50
Technology: 70

Total: 151

The Spanish Republican recovery was a truly impressive thing. At the start of the 19th century Spain was one of the world’s foremost powers and ruled over an Empire that stretched from the East Indies to the American Pacific and was second only to Austria’s in strength. However during the Napoleonic era and the Revolutions that followed its great American Empire was lost. Then in the Franco-Spanish War (1875-1876) the last of Spain’s Empire was lost as France annexed Singapore, Bermuda and Spanish Africa while enforcing the independence of Cuba.

International humiliation was followed by Civil War as in 1877, following refusal of King Tiago I to reform the state, leftist revolutionaries seized control of Barcelona. The Civil War waged on until 1883 when Tiago’s supporters surrendered and the Republic was proclaimed. Since then Spain’s Republican Democracy had been highly successful in modernising and industrialising despite no major European backers (Spain was very isolated from Europe’s Monarchies).

Not quite strong enough to become a Great Power but certainly amongst the world’s strongest nation states.

# 10 - Netherlands

dutchflag.png

Population: 13,000,000 (1860 - 7,000,000)
Industry: 56
Military (Land): 19
Military (Naval): 39

Total: 144

Much like its sister state, Scandinavia, the Netherlands was a highly modern, militarily weak, industrialised nation state with a low population that had recently achieved full independence. Since gaining its own King in 1901 the Netherlands had started to drift away from Britain as the new government hoped to establish Dutch neutrality. However as of 1908 it remained closely aligned with the British.

The Netherlands also benefitted from its colonial Empire in the Congo which was resplendent in many resources; frustratingly for the Netherlands recent technological developments have caused a crash in the rubber industry of the Congo (modern plantations in East Asia being more efficient) which has devalued the colony somewhat.

# 11 - Poland

poLAND.png

Population: 24,000,000 (1860 – 13,000,000)
Industry: 48
Military (Land): 57
Military (Naval): 0
Technology: 83

Total: 138

Poland had a long history of friendship with Austria. The two nations were the only major powers to adopt Protestantism during the reformation, this forced to two to come together for protection. Between 1626 and 1676 they shared a King and between 1626 and 1808 they shared a dynasty as Habsburgs sat upon both Imperial and Polish thrones. Despite Napoleon’s removal of the last Polish Habsburg following the War of the Third Coalition and the refusal of the Congress of Vienna to restore the Habsburgs to Poland (against the will of the Polish people) Austria and Poland remained close.

Poland and Austria also had very similar concerns in their foreign policies. Between 1848 and 1875 Austria regarded Poland as a precious ally on the flank of Germany whilst Poland regarded Austria as the only real protection it had against the Imperialism of Berlin. Since 1875 Austria, and Germany, regarded Poland as the perfect bulwark against Russian expansion into Central Europe. This led to Poland becoming a founding member of the Triple Alliance (now the Quadruple Alliance) in 1881.

The Polish army has long benefitted from Austrian training and Austrian weaponry whilst its economy was heavily reliant upon the German Empires to the East. Without Polish grain shipments there would likely be famine across Germany and much of Austria.

# 12 - Scandinavia

scandy.png

Population: 15,000,000 (1860 - 8,000,000)
Industry: 42
Military (Land): 29
Military (Naval): 38

Total: 137

Scandinavia is very similar to the Netherlands. Scandinavia was unified by the Treaty of Vienna which surrendered Britain’s significant holdings on the peninsula and united the country under a British Monarch. In 1901 this Personal Union came to an end. Unlike the Netherlands Scandinavia has since attempted to stay as close to Britain as possible – any war with Russia would almost certainly bring an end to the Kingdom. Britain’s current friendliness with the Russians provides political protection to the Northern realm.

Although vast Scandinavia is very lightly populated with most of its industry and population being located in Southern and Central-Eastern Sweden, Denmark and the Norwegian regional capital of Oslo.

# 13 – Italy (1860 - # 7)

800px-Flag_of_the_Kingdom_of_the_Two_Sicilies_1860_svg.png

Population: 23,000,000 (1860 - 22,000,000)
Industry: 12
Military (Land): 61
Military (Naval): 47
Technology: 71

Total: 122

Italy has sunk a long way since 1860. In spite of a very high birth rate the country’s population has barely increased. This is entirely due to emigration from the country on a grand scale. Job opportunities in Italy are very poor as there is virtually no heavy industry outside of Naples, the country’s government is amongst the most oppressive in Europe whilst Italy has long been very unstable politically. The four main destinations for Italian emigrants have been (in order): New England, Brazil, Austria (mostly Lombardy) and Silber Fluss with each location receiving millions of Italian immigrants.

Many within the Italian government look jealously to the North at the wealth of Lombardy, desiring both unification with their Italian brethren and the chance to restore Italy’s position of importance that it once enjoyed. This has pushed Italy firmly into France’s diplomatic tentacles, although Italy has not yet committed itself to the Entente it hold clear hopes of admittance but these lie alongside fears of Austrian military might.

# 14 - Hungary

HUNZSSS.png

Population: 14,000,000
Industry: 32
Military (Land): 55
Military (Naval): 0
Technology: 73

Total: 106

The Hungarian Betrayal (as it is known in Austria) of 1807 cost Austria the War of the Third Coalition and allowed Napoleon to take Vienna at a time when Emperor Karl was winning against his French counterpart. Throughout the rest of the Napoleonic era Hungary was a loyal ally of Austria. These actions turned Austria against Hungary forever and the Hungarians were harshly punished in the Treaty of Vienna as their Southern lands were lost and Austria annexed both Slovakia and the Sopron region (near Vienna).

The Southern lands had been populated by Slavs but the lands lost to Austria really hurt Hungarian pride as they were inhabited by millions of Hungarians. This made Hungary a keen friend of the French, its support for the Entente another example of France’s stellar early 20th and late 19th century diplomacy that made up for its own weakness. However Hungary refused to join the Entente outright, Hungary’s exposed position meant that it would be folly to attack Austria lest the Empire was in a dire state.

# 15 - Brazil

brazil.png

Population: 22,000,000 (1860 – 8,000,000)
Industry: 26
Military (Land): 12
Military (Naval): 29
Technology: 52

Total: 93

In 1804 King August of Spain died without a clear heir. Hoping to install Joseph Bonaparte on the Spanish throne Napoleon invaded. In response to this Albert D’Anjou was declared King by the Spanish people and attempted to resist the French invasion. However he was quickly defeated and later that year the exiled would-be King abandoned his claims to the Spanish throne and declared himself Emperor of Brazil – taking control of Spain’s most valuable overseas asset.

Throughout the first half of the 19th century things progressed slowly for Brazil, as a handful of coastal cities steadily grew. From around the 1870s Brazil began to liberalise and provide schemes to settle immigrants in the country’s interior. These policies have allowed the country to grown by 14,000,000 people in just 48 years.

Brazil is now considered to be South America’s strongest power.

# 16 - Syrian Empire

SyrianEmpireFlag.png

Population: 20,000,000
Industry: 8
Military (Land): 32
Military (Naval): 9
Technology: 41

Total: 69

Syria’s newest flag (made the official flag in 1896) was an attempt to establish unity within the Empire. The red band represents the Turks of the Empire, the Green band the Kurds and the Black band the Arabs whilst the crescent moon represents the unifying force of Islam and the Syrian Emperor’s position as the Caliph.

Whilst modern in comparison with most independent Asian states the Syrian Empire still lagged sorely behind the West, however it did possess a serious military threat – another nation under Anglo-French influence both powers saw it as a perfect counter to Austrian-Egypt and Greek Anatolia.

The Empire had two official capitals in Damascus and Baghdad. The Empire was ruled from Baghdad but Damascus functioned as the ceremonial capital. Coincidently these two cities also had the only major concentrations of Syrian industry.

It seems like Austria has a lot of enemies...

Why don't Italy and Hungary negotiate to only join the war if the other does? That would make it slightly easier for each.

The vultures gather.
What happened to all Lithuanians?
Where did the White Russians so quickly come from? Amount of Russians tripled whilst the populations of other groups did not change? :rolleyes:
In 1800, there were a few Russian principalities maybe with a total population of 15 million, since the Mongol raids must have taken some toll, and the lands they were allowed to own in the north are not that fertile. Plus in the tatar owned lands there could have been no Russians left after 600 years of Mongol raiding...
Impossible.

The Road to War (1908-1912)

HMS_Dreadnought_1906_H63596.jpg

There were many factors that led to the disaster that was the Great War, amongst the longest running was the arms race between the Entente Powers of France and Russia, alongside the British and the Quadruple Alliance. This arms race was epitomised by HMS Dreadnought (launched 1907) which jump started the naval arms race between Britain and France on one side and Greece and Austria on the other.

In truth the naval arms race, although more publicised, paled in importance when compared to arms race that took place between Europe’s land armies. By the outbreak of war the combined forces of the top 3 European armies exceeded 5 million men under arms.

first-balkan-war.jpg

Tensions were sent spiralling out of control by the outbreak of war in the Balkans. In the First Bosnian War of 1848 Serbia had defeated its stronger neighbour, Croatia, and taken 2/3 of Bosnia. In 1909 the Serbs launched a second invasion of Croatia in an attempt to claim the rest in the Second Bosnian War.

anglospdier.png

The course of the war itself was much less important that the way the Great Powers reacted to it. Croatia was a friendly Austrian neighbour and the last real bastion of Austrian influence in the Balkans. Austria had long regarded the Balkan’s as its own back yard but in recent years it had become isolated there by British, French and Russian meddling. The Second Bosnian War threatened force Austrian influence out of the Balkans once and for all and was therefore a highly emotive issue in Vienna. Blatant and extensive British, French and to a lesser extent Russian assistance for the Serb war effort almost sent Europe hurtling into a much wider conflict as Austria went so far as to partially mobilise its army in mid 1910 following an incident in which Austrian warships seized British vessels sending artillery to the Serbs. However war was averted by the reluctance of Austria’s Quadruple Alliance allies who refused to raise their armies to fight for Croatia.

victoryforserbs.jpg

The Second Bosnian War was over by the end of 1910 as in October, following the disappointment of Austria’s failure to rescue them, Croatia agreed to surrender the final third of Bosnia to Serbia.
The closeness to war Europe had felt during the Second Bosnian War effected different countries in different ways. The Netherlands decided that it needed to secure its neutrality and in 1911 the Treaty of Antwerp (signed by France, Germany, Britain and Austria) guaranteed the neutrality of the Netherlands in any eventual conflict.

EntenteCordiale.jpg

Later that very same year Britain and France signed a series of agreements known as the Entente Cordiale. Alongside the settling of several trade and colonial disputes the two powers agreed to a (secret) Anti-Austrian Pact. Britain agreed that should Austria be the aggressor in a war against France Britain would come to the aid of her old enemy. Whilst the British did not go so far as to sign a formal alliance they had effectively sworn their loyalty to the Entente.

Fiume_cheering_DAnnunzio.jpg

Italy was a poor and divided country in which the aristocrats who ruled from Naples were generally disliked by the people. As recently as 1907 a large scale rebellion in Sicily had been put down, with war on the horizon and Austria looking ever more isolated Italy’s leadership saw an opportunity to solve all of their Kingdom’s problems. The country would be united through national pride and would grow rich through the annexation of Austrian ruled Lombardy (Lombardy alone had three times the GDP of Italy and a slightly higher population). On October 16th 1911 Italy was granted full admittance into the Entente.

The final event that pushed Europe to war came from an unlikely location – little Ruthenia. The Ruthenians had declared independence from Hungary during the late 16th century and after forming one of Europe’s only Republics had since been largely left alone. The Ukrainian elite were Protestant and so the little Republic enjoyed the protection of Austria from its dangerous neighbours for centuries. Since the Treaty of Vienna it had largely descended into isolationism.

Galicia.jpg

The country was the poorest in all Europe and was incredible ethnically and religiously diverse, considering its small size. The largest ethnic group were the Ukrainians but there were substantial numbers of Poles, Hungarians, Jews and Slovaks. Other ethnic groups included Germans, Russians, Romanians and Roma. On the whole the Ukrainians were Calvinists, the Poles Ossolinskites, the Jews Jewish (obviously), the Hungarians Greek Orthodox and the Slovaks Catholic.

Galiciagonetoshit.jpg

In the Spring of 1912 this lethal concoction exploded into civil war. The very people who had shared a nation for centuries in peace turned against one another. The spread of literacy amongst the non-Ukrainian poor during towards the end of the 19th century led many to question why the Ukrainians were so favoured by the country’s law (they held greater freedoms, were wealthier and only Ukrainians could vote). Demands for equality from the Republic’s peasants led to large scale political movements against the old order. Following riots in the capital Lvov in the Spring of 1912 the Ruthenian Army opened fire upon crowds outside the nation’s Senate. Things escalated at a remarkable pace and by the end of May the country was in an all out war, a war that had already turned dirty as the National Army attacked civilians populaces directly and without shame in an attempt to defeat the rebels.

The fighting was of great concern to Poland, after all much of Ruthenia was populated by Poles, and the Polish army was sent to garrison its southern border. On June 28th 14 Polish soldiers were killed by the Ruthenian Army. The Ruthenians claimed the Poles crossed the border, the Poles took it as a casus belli as the 14 Martyrs of Kvono (the town where the attack on the Poles occurred) had to be avenged.

What followed was the July Crisis – a period of diplomatic manoeuvrings between Europe’s powers. At the start of the month Poland sent out secret feelers to its allies in Austria and Germany asking whether it would receive support for any potential war. Germany said that it would be willing to fight Russia if it attacked Poland whilst Austria sent a more violent message promising that it would do everything in its power to destroy any and all of Poland’s enemies.

On July 15th Poland sent an ultimatum to Ruthenia that demanded the disbanding of the Ruthenian Army, a Polish occupation of the country and the Polish annexation of certain areas that were almost entirely populated by Poles. Ruthenia was given two week to reply.

On July 30th Tsar Vladimir I of Russia sent a personal note to Kaiser August of Austria informing him that he had partially mobilised his army for war and that any Polish attack on Ruthenia would not be tolerated. August replied by saying ‘’then I mobilise too’’, with the Emperor publically calling for war the Reichstag would have been powerless to stop it even if it had wanted to and even the SAP were in favour of conflict. Soon Germany, Greece, Italy and France had joined Russia, Poland and Austria in preparing for war.
On August 1st Poland declared war on Ruthenia (hoping to occupy the country before Russia was fully ready) that same day Russia declared war upon Poland, then Austria upon Russia. By August 3rd Austria, Poland, Germany and Greece were at war with France, Russia, Italy and Ruthenia whilst the British Parliament was already making motions towards intervention.

map109.png

Once you've recovered from the stunning beauty of my new avatar you might want to know how I'm going to handle the Great War.

Next update I will do a force comparison with army numbers, locations (eg where Austria's armies are, where Russia's are etc) etc

Then I will try to do updates covering 6 months of the war at a time. Several of those at the war will be iver. Simple.

Once you've recovered from the stunning beauty of my new avatar you might want to know how I'm going to handle the Great War.

Your avatar makes me wish I had the money to pre-order Vicky 2. :(

Anyways, I'm glad to see that the War has begun. :D It seems like the odds are stacked against Austria, especially with British intervention...

I do not see how the British would join the war.
What would they gain?

The best thing would be to supply both sides, for a good price... :p

Indeed. They can then claim the colonies of the loser, either joining to crush Austria later on, or "protecting" those of a defeated France. (For once I would love Britain not to bleed itself on the First World War)

I disagree with the sceptics on the possibility of a UK intervention.

Firstly, and most importantly, just like in RL everyone saw this war as just another grand adventure, no one would have known what it would have become so the thoughts of terrible sacrifice would not have weighed upon Parliament.

Secondly it is a chance to knock Austria down a notch or two (there will never be such a chance to attack the Austrian superpower again). Britain may also be inspired by the hopes of claiming Austrian (and Greek) colonies as well.

There is of course that idea of the Balance of Power that Britain is so attatched to. Some of the readers may not think so but Italy-France-Russia-Ruthenia vs Austria-Germany-Poland-Greece is not a fair fight. Its not even close, the Quadruple Alliance is by far the superior force. Austria alone could take on France and Italy and probably win without too many problems (if they used their advantages to their fullest). Meanwhile Russia's armies would be only slightly larger than those of Poland-Germany-Greece (there will also be Austrian troops in the East) and we all know Russian armies are not exactly the best in qualatitive terms. Therefore, if Britain just left the Europeans to fight amongst themselves France would likely be demoted to a second rate power, Russia would recieve a mauling and Austria would be left as the sole power on Continental Europe. Britain went to war in this reality to stop Napoleon becoming similarily dominant and I'd imagine they would go to war again to save the Continent from Vienna's whims.

As I already said tommorow (or the next day) I shall do a detailed force comparison. I shall look at RL figures to make this. For example in RL Germany had almost 2 million men under arms in August 1914 (including reservists) and in this AAR Austria has about twice Germany's European population so we can easily assume that Austria could support a minimum of 3 million men without issue (probably more). That's not even accounting for any manpower coming from the colonies if the old lion calls upon the young lions to roar (I won't even mention India).

Thinking about all this my only question is can Britain really afford not to intervene?

Yes, Britain could sponsor rebels in Austrian colonies, support the Entente with guns and butter and restrict Austrian trading.
Or even go against the remaining lands not colonized by Europeans, whilst Austria is busy.
There is no fleet that could disturb the British home isles, Austrians are not close, Germans do not possess a fleet enough big.
Why?
They risk losing Netherlands and Scandinavia if Central Powers get too angry.
Suez is in Austrian hands, think of how the DoW destroys global trade!

Britain could take Syria, abuse China and pretty much everyone as much as willing, whilst the other Great Powers kill themselves on the main continent!

What is the closest front where the British from the home isles could serve, that is owned by British?

The Order of Battle August 1914

orderofbattle.png

Quadruple Alliance
Members: Austria, Germany, Greece and Poland
Strength: 9,300,000
- Regulars: 6,360,000
- Reservists: 2,728,000
- Cavalry: 212,000

Austria
Strength: 6,000,000 (12 Armies)
- Regulars: 4,200,000
- Reservists: 1,680,000
- Cavalry: 120,000

1 – Heeresgruppe Nord (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Armies)
Strength: 2,000,000
- Regulars: 1, 400,000
- Reservists: 560,000
- Cavalry: 40,000

2 – Heeresgruppe Mitte (5th and 6th Armies)
Strength: 1,000,000
- Regulars: 700,000
- Reservists: 280,000
- Cavalry: 20,000

3 - Esercito Alpino – (7th Army)
Strength: 500,000
- Regulars: 350,000
- Reservists: 140,000
- Cavalry: 10,000

4 – Esercito Lombardia – (8th and 9th Armies)

5 – Heeresgruppe Ost – (10th and 11th Armies)

6 – Reserve Armee – (12th Army)

Germany
Strength: 1,500,000 (3 Armies)
- Regulars: 1,130,000
- Reservists: 340,000
- Cavalry: 30,000

7 – 1st Armee

8 - Preussische Armee
- Regulars: 480,000
- Reservists: 0

9 – Reserve Armee
- Regulars: 300,000
- Reservists: 200,000
- Cavalry: 0

Poland
Strength: 800,000 (2 Armies)
- Regulars: 400,000
- Reservists: 370,000
- Cavalry: 30,000

11 and 12 - Pierwsza Armia – (Polish First Army)
Strength: 600,000
- Regulars: 300,000
- Cavalry: 20,0000

13 – Druga Armia – (Polish Second Army)
Strength: 200,000
- Regulars: 100,000
- Reservists: 90,000

Greece
Strength: 1,000,000 (3 Armies and 1 Corps)
- Regulars: 630,000
- Reservists: 338,000
- Cavalry: 32,000

13 – Black Sea Army Corps (1 Corps)
Strength: 30,000
- Regulars: 20,000
- Reservists: 8,000
- Cavalry: 2,000

14 – Pontic Army
Strength: 330,000
- Regulars: 230,000
- Reservists: 90,000