• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Marco Oliverio

Major
68 Badges
Sep 4, 2002
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The Nasrids and their Times: Personal Histories and Voices from Granada

Authors Preface

This history is an attempt to tell the story of the house of al-Nasr, or the Nasrids as we call them, using their own words as well as those of contemporaries both in the Sultanate and beyond its borders. While most scholars of history tend to take the meta-level as their field of play, presenting the battles, the births and deaths, and the very lives of the nations they are studying from somewhere around 10,000 feet above the ground, this history is going to attempt a different perspective.

While we will still tell the stories of the battles, the births, marriages and deaths, the evolution of cultures and the very lives of the nations we are studying (first and foremost Granda, but not limited to them by any means). But we will attempt to use the voices of the people from those times to tell the stories - to see the world as they saw the world, to understand why they did what they did, how they reacted to events around them and how they attempted to control or create those events. We are lucky that the Nasrids themselves were prolific writers and archivists - of journals, letters, intra and inter-governmental memos and other excellent primary sources. And this seems to have carried over into the population at large - although most people lacked the formal (and protected) government archives that the Nasrids had available to them, an amazing amount of material has survive. We will dive into the literature to make use of everything we can to tell the stories and hear the voices from the people of these times.

Now, just a few notes on the structure of this book. I will present a few thoughts at the beginning of each chapter just to set the stage. But I will try to let the material we have at hand tell the stories. I will include maps, charts and tables throughout to help illustrate some of the points to help ground us in what was happening in the times we’re reading about - as Mentioned above the goal of this book is to let the voices of the real people inform us of their histories. I will also provide a comments throughout to ensure that we stay anchored to the history of the times, to better understand the personal voices we will hear.

26 Sept 2015

~~~~~

Chapter 1: The Game changes in Iberia

A little background before we begin to set the story of the Nasrids in historical context.

In 711 the armies of Islam under Tariq ibn Ziyad sailed from Ceuta to the southern coasts of Hispania at the invitation of Visigothic nobles feuding with their king, Roderic. Roderic was decisively defeated and killed at that battle of Guadalete. But rather than raid and retreat as they had done many times before, the armies of Islam stayed. With the Visigoths divided and fighting amongst themselves for the crown, the heir of Roderic fled north, and the Muslim armies followed afterwards. Toledo fell that same year, and within a decade all of Hispania except the mountains of the far north was controlled by the armies of the Umayyad Caliphate. The Muslims renamed the land al-Andalus.

In 749, the Umayyad Caliphs in Damascus were overthrown by the Abbasids. All but one, Abd ar-Rahman were killed by the victorious Abbasids; Abd ar-Rahman escaped, and after a journey of almost 10 years (one surely worthy of a book in its own right), he arrived at the shores of Iberia where he proceeded to oust the al-Firhi dynasty to make himself the Emir of Cordoba. For the next 30 year, he slowly extended his rule by force, charm and guile over most of Iberia (but the Christian nations used this period of uncertainty and disruption to extend their holding precariously southward, and we see the rise of Leon, Castile, Navarre, Aragon and Barcelona in these early days.

For almost 300 years the Sultans and then Caliphs of Cordoba ruled in what people have called a Golden Age - literature, art, architecture, science, math and all branches of knowledge flourished throughout the Caliphate. There are major scholarly works fating from this period that were critical for the transfer of knowledge from the Greek and Roman world to the European world of today.

But by 1030, a series of weak Caliphs and strong Viziers had introduced significant instability and competing centers of power. By the time of the last nominal Caliph (Hisham III), the rulers of the major cities and provinces had had enough, and the caliphate tumbled into the First Taifa period. This was a period of strong expansion to the south by the Christian nations - the weakest of the taifas were systematically picked of, played against each other, and in some cases used for leverage only to be conquered themselves later.

In 1086. the al-Moravids of Morocco under Yusuf ibn Tashfin moved an amy into al-Andalus at the request of the hard-pressed taifa rulers. He soundly defeated Alfonso IV, king of Castile and Leon, and annexed the independent taifa rulers to his kingdom. His generals also recovered Valencia from the Christians. But within just a generation the power of the al-Moravids was on he wane. HIs son, Ali ibn Yusuf was defeated by Alfonso VII and then by Afonso, Count of Portugal. This victory opened the way to Lisbon, and with its capture Afonso founded the Kingdom of Portugal, another thorn in the sides of the weakening Muslim rule over al-Andalus. The defeats suffered by Yusuf and then his brother (his short-lived successor) emboldened the al-Mohads, a desert tribe that swept down from the Atlas Mountains to conquer the al-Moravids.

The al-Mohads were not only successful in Atlantic North Arica and al-Andalus; they extended their rule along the Mediterranean coasts to Tunis and to the borders of Egypt. With their rule, al-Andalus was linked again to a vast Muslim state, with trade routes linking the interior of Africa and the sands of Libya to the trade ports of Iberia. Pilgrims move east and west for the hajj, bringing wealth, goods and tales with them. But even with a victory over Alfonso VIII of Castile and Leon in the closing years of the 12th century, by the opening years of the 13th century the combined armies of the Christian nations of Iberia were inflicting defeat on the weakened the al-Mohads, and shortly thereafter rebellions erupted in Iberia and the Third Taifa Period began.

The Third Taifa period was nothing more than a century long retreat for the Muslims of al-Andalus. The Christian kings pushed relentlessly south,and even though there were periods where the dynastic disfunction of the Christian caused them to falter in their forward movement, the general trend was "ever southward." Valencia, Toledo, Badajoz, the entire Algarve, Denia and the entire border to the outskirts of Cordoba itself slowly fell from the grasp of the Muslim rulers.

But in THIS history, this is where the house of al-Nasr comes to our attention. They rose to prominence in Granada, a wealthy city situated at the feet of a vast mountain range that kept it well watered and cool despite the heat of the south. And from this stronghold the Nasrids were able to take control of the southern taifas and construct a stable Emirate in the south, composed of Sevilla, Cordoba, Mucia, Malaga, Algeciras and Granada itself.

Seven emirs ruled in Granada from 1238 to 1354 - the first were long-lived and contributed to the stability of the emirate. But, as had happened since the time of the Visigoths 500 years earlier, palace intrigue and a rebellious and jealous nobility caused disruption and turmoil. Yusuf I (the seventh emir), his father Muhammad IV, his grandfather Ismail I and possibly the two brothers who ruled before Ismail were all assassinated after only a few years on the throne. But Muhammad V, the son of Yusuf I and the start of this history, will prove to be made of more sturdy material.

~~~~

The World of Muhammad V

Religious World

Political World

Economic World

Emir Muhammad V

Here’s how a contemporary described Muhammad V.

“…he was fair-skinned, naturally strong, with a fine figure and an even finer character. He had large eyes and straight dark hair, a thick beard (not red and not black, but something in between, like Adb ar-Rahman reputedly possessed), a handsome face and a deep voice that could carry across a crowded room or a large open space and commanded attention. Allah endowed him with an extraordinary intelligence, a good eye for art and architecture, and a curious mind that wanted to know about everything under the skies. He was adamant in the defense of Granada, and determined to restore the greatness of al-Andalus and build the glory of his house. He studied the military arts, and excelled at the game of diplomacy. He was, indeed, the gift of Allah to his people and his time.”

The mid-1300s were time of some religious turmoil in both Granada and the wider Islamic world. Here is one of the earliest commentaries that can be attitude to Muhammad himself.

“The emissaries from the court of the Caliph arrived today. Or should I say the emissaries of the man claiming to be the new Caliph arrived asking Us for our loyalty and religious obedience. I am not a man willing to bend my knee to anyone, and yet I am a loyal servant of Allah so perhaps I must. The old men of the ulema tell me that I must not stiffen my neck in the presence of the men of Allah, but perhaps they are talking about themselves? These are the same men, surely, who conspired to have my father, may Allah bless his soul, murdered while at prayer in the House of Allah! They claim it was a madman, but how can a madman penetrate the innermost parts of the Friday mosque?

But I digress in these musings. The Caliph is the Caliph, and we all owe him the loyalty we owe Allah. And I will need the blessings and protection of Allah to prosper (and indeed, to live) in these turbulent times. So acknowledge I will, but from the throne as the emir of Granda, Defender of al-Andalus and the Sword of Islam, not a penitent on his knees.”

From this time, a private note from Prince Sa’d, the bother of Muhammad, mentions a few interesting facts.

“Dear brother, I have just returned from the market. I observed two fantastical sights. First, the blasphemous Portuguese have once again sent their wicked and deceitful missionaries to our lands, this time to the very gates of the medina itself. They claimed that by the power and authority of their king, their god, and their steel they were here to convert all of us, even yourself! I told them to pray to their false god for help (but not to count on it as false gods rarely respond), proclaimed that theire steel would most surely fail them when opposed to the steel in my hand, and that the only recognition I would grant their petty king ruling in his hall of dirt and twigs was as the recipient of their heads!

"I would most certainly have given them a taste of steel in their skulls, but a Sufi scholar stepped out of the crowd and bade me stop. He had something - a presence, perhaps - that made me pause (and you know I rarely pause in ay action I take in defense of you, the crown and Allah). He told me that Allah looks for mercy as well as justice, and to punish these men for obeying their king would be to inflict punishment unjustly. They were, after all, obeying their king, which is what every king requires of all his people. Thinking that this was a wise man, I sent them home under guard to the border, and with a message to the Portuguese king that he should prepare himself for the punishment of Allah, which would surely arrive at the point of the sword of Islam. They are other stories I will tell you when I see you next, be assured. But I am send this note with the Sufi mystic of whom I spoke. Please welcome him with the love that Allah has given to you.”

Under his father and grandfather, the armies of Granada had been neglected under the terms of the truce with Castile that had been negotiated by Muhammad IV. But Muhammad V was determined to rectify this. By 1359, various cities around the Emirate were able to report to Mohammad that “our efforts to find, train and equip men to create an army worthy of your name is compete. In fact, men have come from all corners of the Emirate, willing to take up the banner of the pomegranate and the green banner of Allah to defend the honor of Allah and the glory of Granada.

In 1362, these men were put to the test, as described in these letter from officials in Marbella and the capital.

“Your most royal highness, it is with great alarm that I send this message to you. A man claiming to be a distant relation, descended in fact from your ancient ancestor Nasr, has raised an army from the countryside around Malaga and your royal fortresses - the fools in the countryside have fallen for his tales of murder, ruin and exile, and flock to his banner. They are just rabble, but they are marching on us now. The city is loyal, the walls are strong and well-manned and the gates are sealed. But send help, we can hold these fools off for a while but we will fall without your succor.”

“Emir, the deceitful nobles of your capital itself have risen up in your absence to overthrow you. If their intention was to find and kill you, their timing was inexpert as you are safe in Cordoba now. But if their intention is to capture the city and install themselves (or a puppet) on the throne, perhaps their timing is more expert - you re not here to prove to the populace that you are alive, and given time they will bring the people to their side through falsehoods and bribes. For now the walls of the al-Hambra fortress will hold - we have good supplies as well as plentiful water from the mountains above. And the garrison is loyal. But send your armies to defend us, and come quickly after them to show the people you live and still rule in Granada. The blessings of Allah on you for safety.”

Muhammad V survived these crude attempts to dislodge him from his throne. But it taught him a good lesson - with no external focus for the restless nobility he would be vulnerable (as his father and grandfather and other ancestors before him had been) to the machinations and wickedness born of idleness of the nobles and the warriors of Granada.

It was at this moment that fate (or the blessing of Allah) arrived and gave Muhammad V the opportunity he craved.

From the Ambassador to Barcelona we have this message to the court in Granada;

“Royal Highness, may Allah set his glory on you and Granda. Peter of Aragon marches today to war with his sworn enemy Peter of Castile. The armies left the city as the first light of the morning sun rose above the horizon. I heard the first rumblings of many men as I completed my morning prayers. As soon as I was done, I rushed up to the balcony to see the case of the noise. I was astounded to see a seemingly endless river of men streaming toward the city gates. Their helmets, shields and swords glinted in the early morning sun as they marched below my house. The people, such as they were at such an early hour, raised jubilant voices in support of the King as he led the men to war (although I believe Peter will return to the city once the army is well on its way to the mountains of Soria."

Muhammad had been waiting for this moment. In a letter to Sa’d, he says:

“Dearest brother, the time has come for us to act as we have long planned. You will lead one army north to attack the fortress in hills just beyond the borders of La Marche - focus on Campo de Montiel. Your ultimate goal, of course, is to seize the gold mines in La Marche, but the fortresses in the hills bar the way. Do not delay - while Castile is busy fighting Aragon in the hills of Soria we must act to obtain the wealth of La Mancha. Order the other main army to Badajoz to gain the silver mines there, and then to attack the fortresses in Caceres. Cavalry troops can occupy the small towns and hamlets, but be aware that the fortresses will hinder our way until they are reduced.

And remember, you must speed north as quickly as possible - to gain what we wish to gain we must reach the plains of Castile before the armies of Aragon. May Allah speed and guard your way. Our trust is with you implicitly - go and take back what is ours with the blessings of Allah.”

From time to time, Prince Sa’d sent battlefront updates to Muhammad charting the success (and lack of success) of the Granadan war effort. Most are along the lines of “the hamlets and towns of XXX have been surrendered into our hands and we are moving to the next” or “the great fortress of Campo de Montiel still resists us, but the garrison is showing signs of fatigue. We will persist and Allah WILL grant us victory.

Two years after the march to war, Castile suffered an even greater blow from within while trying to fight off Aragon and Granada. Henry of Trastamara, an illegitimate brother of Peter of Castile who claimed the throne of Castile asserted his independence and rights to the throne by declaring war on his brother. Vast numbers of towns and fortresses, harbors and villages declared for Henry, cutting the territory bowing the knee to Castile in half.

Muhammad sent this urgent missive to Prince Sa’d.

“Brother, I received the news yesterday that our armies have captured the heights of Campo de Montiel. My thanks to Allah, to yourself and our brave men. I am told that disease broke out in the ranks of the men - I have sent doctors with this message and you must let them do what they can to help. They are armed with all the wisdom available to us, which is significant.

But you must move quickly to Toledo. Henry, the bastard of Castile, has declared against his brother. Several provinces to your north have declared for him; beware of this troops. They could be moving toward you, but I believe he is moving north to attack Peter first. An attack on Aragon or our armies would only help his brother while weakening him for the eventual battle. Toledo, the ancient capital of the Visigoths and it’s powerful fortress have declared for Henry, but remain surrounded by lands loyal to Peter. We MUST get to Toledo before Aragon or Peter, and we must take it. If we can seize it we will be the new Tariq ibn Ziyad.

Although beyond my wildest dreams when we launched this war to reclaim that which is ours, Toledo is such a prize that surely Allah has driven Henry mad with greed and pride Why else declare this war now, especially when the Portuguese cousins of Peter are still undeclared and will perhaps come to the aid of him? To lose Toledo to Aragon or Peter would be unfortunate; to gain Toledo, though, would show to all the world that Allah is the only God in heaven and that we are under His protective wing, like a chick under the wing of its mother hen. Advance with speed, leave the sick and wounded in Campo de Montiel. I will send reinforcements to meet you in Toledo.”

It took several years, but by 1365 Prince Sa’d was able to journey to Granada to give his brother a conclusive report of Granadan victories against both Trastamara and Castile. While Aragon has captured the heights of Soria and then streamed both south and north, Sa’d and his fellow commanders had captured all of Castile as far north as Toldeo in the center, and Leon in the west. And Muhammad discovered that Trastamara had made Toldeo his capital, in another fit of madness or pride - it was a major victory.

Although Henry had captured vast territories from his brother in the north, the loss of his capital brought him to the negotiating table, where he surrendered the golden city. When Muhammad was told the news, he exulted “the golden city on its hill is now in the hands of Allah and His faithful followers. The great fort and the surrounding towers will protect the heart of Granada from invaders now, where it once was a spear or an arrow aimed directly at us. Surely Allah is Great, and he covers his followers with the blessings of the earth while smiting his enemies with madness and darkness of sight.”

A few days later, the following report reached the court from Prince Sa'd.

“Peter of Castile, like his bastard brother, is insane by the blessing of Allah without doubt. He rants and raves, raging against his fate, his losses, his rebellious bastard brother, his cousins of Portugal who failed to come to his aid, against Aragon for pulling all of Iberia into this war, and against you my most royal brother for the immense victories that you have gained. Allah is great, and the force of your men at arms is also great.

He knows he is defeated on all fronts. Even as he put a brave face on for the negotiations, pretending to resist our demands, news arrived on an almost daily basis that nobles, towns, fortresses and entire provinces are falling to his brother. Today he received word that his capital (if you can call that small city of mud streets and huts a capital) had welcomed the Bastard in with open arms - this as your armies were besieging it. The change of allegiance meant nothing to us - we were content to pursue its capture regardless of which flag flew above its walls. But it was the final straw for Peter.

He knows that without cities and fortresses and wealth he cannot fight his brother. And everything still loyal to him is under the control of Aragon or your loyal forces. Aragon resists the overtures of peace that are surely going out - there is too much bad blood between these two Peters. And so be has resigned himself to accepting our most generous terms. He has agreed to surrender the gold mines of La Mancha (which establish our control to Toledo, which I have been told the Bastard has surrendered to us), the silver mines of Badajoz, and the two fortresses of Caceres and Campo de Montiel.

Truly Allah is with us. And also truly you saw the truth about these fortresses. Our fathers' fathers lost them to the Christians generations ago, and from that day to this day they have been pikes pointed at the heart of our lands. But with them within our grasp once again, we have turned the tables on the Christians, and now stand with daggers against their hearts. With Toledo in our grasp we have a belt of fortified seats of power from which we can guard against the Christians and ensure the peace of our own heartlands.

We all join with you in praising Allah. We return to your side as quickly as we can, bringing the army with us to receive your blessing.”

When the news of Castile’s capitulation arrived, the entire population erupted with joy and celebration, rushing to the Friday Mosque to offer thanks to Allah for the great victories over the Christians. And then then rushed to the gates of the palace, praising the wisdom of Muhammad and the bravery and loyalty of Prince Sa’d and the armies of Granada. Muhammad, in response to the cries of adulation, praise, and gratitude of the people announced three things:

“My loyal subjects and fellow pilgrims on the road to find Allah and his blessings, your words touch me. I will tell you what I will do to thank you, reward you, and hear you.

First I have given treasure, honey, sweets and all manner of good things to my loyal officers to be distributed to each of you. Your faithfulness and loyalty has touched my heart.

Second, I declare that on this day we will build a new mosque to Allah, one big enough to hold all His worshipers under its vaulting and spacious roof, with a minaret that will guide people here from across the plains and call each of us to prayer.

And third I will you this - I have heard your calls, and declare that just as our great ancestor Abd ar-Rahman threw off the title of Emir of Cordoba and became the Sultan of al-Andalus, we throw off the title or Emir of Granada and claim the title Sultan. The glory that Allah has blessed us with demands we take this honor into our hands which we willingly do.”

Shortly after peace was agreed with Peter of Castile, Peter of Aragon made peace with Peter of Castile with only one condition - that he abdicate the throne and go into exile. Having lost the support of even more nobles with the surrender of so much wealth and so many strong places to Granada, Peter of Castile had no choice but to accept. Trastamara ascended the throne of Castile, Peter of Aragon returned home, and Iberia settled into a fitful peace.

~~~~~

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ve ry nice marco, good to see you back in M+T.

The sultanate already looks strong, but i wonder where you want to go with this AAR, as before it was money, what about here?

Furthermore, i must say i am surprised by how much if the world you know of slready, is that expected in this new verion of the mod, or did something special occur?

Also, final question, does one spot the little state of san marino finally appearing in italy beside the florentines?

Hi ML8991.

Muhammad's goal was to secure the safety of Granada - and by the end of his rather long reign, I think that will be done (you can decide on that as I write my way to that point...)

The subsequent Regency Council and then his son will have very different goals, and those goals will chart the way forward I think. But you'll have to wait until I get to his reign to discover what they are. :D

Thanks for being the first responder to this AAR!

Ve ry nice marco, good to see you back in M+T.

The sultanate already looks strong, but i wonder where you want to go with this AAR, as before it was money, what about here?

Furthermore, i must say i am surprised by how much if the world you know of slready, is that expected in this new verion of the mod, or did something special occur?

Also, final question, does one spot the little state of san marino finally appearing in italy beside the florentines?
The northern Blue dot is Ravenna

Reactions:
Sad to see the Aragon game ended before it's time. You had a good ride, but hopefully an even better ride with this new try! You seem to have a boon for the Iberian region.

Subscribing to this. I do love the primary source approach to these things. Do continue!

Subscribing! I will of course follow this throughout the centuries. Have you found your favourite playing region in Iberia? Are you using the Fantasy Additional Tags module for M&T?

Last edited:
@Sun_Wu thanks for the response, cleared that patch up. Although this isn't techically the place to ask,just wondering if the M+T team will include the smaller nationalites, such as san marino and andorra, or are these too small to be viably added?

@Marco Oliverio np, just happy you're back in buisness, but pray tell, you using the tribal expansion/ amerindian expansion pack?

@Sun_Wu thanks for the response, cleared that patch up. Although this isn't techically the place to ask,just wondering if the M+T team will include the smaller nationalites, such as san marino and andorra, or are these too small to be viably added?

@Marco Oliverio np, just happy you're back in buisness, but pray tell, you using the tribal expansion/ amerindian expansion pack?
Too small to be viable added as countries.

Reactions:
Hey guys, just got a update from mike. He is currently at a conference for the duration of this week, and will be travelling over the weekend, but he hopes he can get a update in next week sometime.

All the best and bai for now :).

Okay, thanks for the heads-up!

While I'm at it, just a bit of a nitpick with the first chapter here. Some of the diction seems a bit repetitive to me. Maybe it's just subjective on my end, but sentences one after another seem to start or end similarly.

Sad to see the Aragon game ended before it's time. You had a good ride, but hopefully an even better ride with this new try! You seem to have a boon for the Iberian region.
Yes - I agree. I was sad to see the Aragon game end before its time, but I gues I was dilly dallying because of work and other conflicts and the game just moved beyond me! And yes, Iberia is a favorite. But maybe net time I'll try Pisa!

Welcome RigorMortis! And thanks!

Subscribing to this. I do love the primary source approach to these things. Do continue!
Thanks for the encouragement. I hope I can manage to come up with some variations of voices for my primary sources. Patience, please, if I don't always hit it square on the head! :D

Subscribing! I will of course follow this throughout the centuries. Have you found your favourite playing region in Iberia? Are you using the Fantasy Additional Tags module for M&T?
loup99 - Iberia is interesting, yes! (Or should I say al-Andalus!) I'm not sure about the Fantasy Additional Tags Module - I'll check.

Hey guys, just got a update from mark. He is currently at a conference for the duration of this week, and will be travelling over the weekend, but he hopes he can get a update in next week sometime.

All the best and bai for now :).
Thanks for sending the update. I'm going to post something now.

Okay, thanks for the heads-up!

While I'm at it, just a bit of a nitpick with the first chapter here. Some of the diction seems a bit repetitive to me. Maybe it's just subjective on my end, but sentences one after another seem to start or end similarly.
Blitzthedragon - thanks for the comment! I'm definitely trying to figure out how to capture a few unique voices for the various primary sources, but sometimes I might be move successful that others. And I'll also try to read to make sure I'm not just repeating myself! We'll see if I can meet the challenge I've set myself!

The Shattering of Castile

“The people of Allah glory in knowledge, and men of science and learning are like jewels in the crown of the sultan. The ancient university of Salamanca stands on foundations established in the days of al-Andalus, and reuniting that ancient foundation within the House of Peace is a noble and just cause. Now it languishes in obscurity like a pot of gold seen dimly in a dark room, but the light and glory of Islam can restore it to its true luster.”

With this statement, the leading scholars of Granada petitioned the Sultan to go to war with Castile. Muhammad was deeply committed to science and all branches of learning (we know this from the support of several universities in the Sultanate, including one in Granada itself, as well as from him generous donations to scientists, researchers and writers.) Whether he needed this argument to make war on Castile is uncertain - the animosity that had been established at the end of the first great war with Castile a decade earlier was still strongly felt along the long border. But regardless of the need, Muhammad leapt at the opportunity, and war was declared on Castle.

“The war effort goes well - it is almost as if the armies of Castile have fled the fields at word of our approach! Our armies have moved north quickly and have met with no opposition of any kind. Many towns open their gates to us and throw flowers on our soldiers - perhaps they know of the great prosperity to be found in the Sultanate. All the border provinces will soon be occupied, and the city of Salamanca is under siege.

“We have two great obstacles standing in our way - the fortress in Cuenca and the Trastamara capital itself. The road to the capital is open and a large army commanded by your majesty’s own brother, may Allah preserve him, is moving north to besiege it. Cuenca will be put under siege soon."

“Your majesty, in less that a year all of the territory south of the Trastamara capital and the great fortress of Cuenca have fallen to the sword of Islam and the Sultanate. Today, for the first time, the armies of Castile were seen on the distant hills above the Trastamara capital. A squadron of fast cavalry rode out to investigate and found it to be a small contingent of men who quickly marched north; we shadowed the until for quite a ways into Zamora but let them march further north and we returned to the outskirts of the Trastamara capital."

“Our goal continues to be the capture of the Trastamara capital - once it falls all roads to the north will be open to us, and Trastamara will not be able to hide from our triumphant armies.”

As incredible as it must have seemed to the Sultan and his military advisors, Castile, busy in the north fighting alongside the French king against rebellious vassals, failed to marshall any troops in Iberia to counter the invasion. It was not until late in 1381, just before the passes over the Pyrenees closed with snow in the winter, that the Castilians arrived on the scene. But their two battle-weary armies (somewhere between 8,000~10,000 men each) were no match for the three aries of the Sultan opposing them. With the mountains of Soria firm in the control of Granada, the route south to relieve Cuenca was closed to the Castilians, and the Sultan was able to deploy a large army along the long line of control in parallel with the Castilians, making any crossing into occupied territory risky for Trastamara. And in the end the armies of Castile hesitated, and retreated north as the sieges of Cuenca and the Trastamara capital continued.

“Dear brother, the fall of Castilla la Nueva and Cuenca have delivered Henry the usurper of Castile into your hands. I urge you to send your most skilled negotiator to us here; we will demand that Henry come to us in the ruins of his grand designs to negotiate peace. We can ask almost anything - he is bankrupt, his treasury in our hands, his control over the countryside proven to be ephemeral, and his nobility restless. If he wishes to remain King of his shrinking realm, he will no choice but to give us whatever we require. And then may Allah spare him - his realm will most certainly rise in rebellion against him.”

The peace with Castile could have taken many forms - some advisors pressed the Sultan to acquire many new provinces, some counseled that he focus on Salamanca (the stated goal), some countered that Castile should be weakened by releasing Galicia (which would surely then support Granada in any future wars.) The Sultan rejected most of these options, and instead (advised, no doubt by his brother and other military advisors, as well as his own reading of the history of al-Andalus) pushed for two things - the Trastamara capital with its great fort of Castilla la Nueva, looking over the plains of Burgos, Llion, and Zamora, and the rich province of Segovia, with its road connections between Toledo and Castilla la Nueva. With this demand, the Sultan gained control of the linchpin of the north and the means of preventing Castile from easily moving south against the mines in Badajoz and La Mancha or the rich territory of Toledo. Although Castile still held long daggers of provinces that appeared to pierce the heart of the Sultanate, those provinces were defenseless, and incapable of being supported by the distant armies of Castile. Trastamara was also forced for the second time to surrender his capital to the Sultan, which his own people interpreted as the most significant sign of weakness yet.

Ten years later, in 1391, we see a similar approach being made to the Sultan. Salamanca, the ancient seat of learning still languished under the banner of Trastamara, and many of the same arguments were presented to the Sultan encouraging a move against Castile. In addition to that, we have this information from the Sultan’s diplomatic service:

“He [Trastamara] remains a byword among his neighbors in al-Andalus because of his insistence on his claims to rule the entire peninsula. Portugal still bemoans the usurpation of Trastamara against his cousins, and in Aragon the House of Barcelona is united with your majesty against the pretensions of Trastamara. Even small Navarre regards Henry with disdain - although his realm is much larger, Navarre looks back to its own ancient history and see itself as a legitimate rival claimant for the crown of Castile and Leon. Only the king in France, distant and beset with rebellious vassals, claims alliance with Castile, but we are sure that France will not come to the aid of Trastamara if we move again to war.”

Muhammad put that judgment to the test by delcaring war again on Castile, again for the province and university of Salamanca.

Once again, the Sultan moved quickly against the unfortified provinces of Castile that bordered the Sultanate, and moved a large army to Cantabria to put the third capital of Trastamara under siege. And once again, the armies of Trastamara were not to be found (although a small group of men tried to push the Granadan army away from Cantabria, but it was easily defeated. The towns and cities in the foothills of the northern mountains were quickly captured, and the great fortress of Cuenca was once again put under siege.

“Dear brother, the nobles of Castile have finally had enough of Trastamara’s failure to hold his lands against us. His promises of wealth and riches from the conquest of all of the lands he claims brought him to the throne, but his failure to deliver make the nobles yearn for his dispossessed brother, or any other king. With most of Castile firmly in our hands and the Cuenca fortress almost in our grasp, a band of daring rebels attempted to seize Henry and his capital while it was besieged by our forces. But Henry still has a few supporters, and they refused to open the gates to the rebels. This put them between the city walls and our army, and when the refused to surrender the battle was engaged. They fought powerfully and like true warriors committed to their cause, but they could not prevail against our might, our weapons and the blessing of Allah.

“Trastamara tried to raise an army to fight us, but his people are tired, poor, and have no more sons to give. And so we find each small force and defeat them - some we capture, but most we release with food and supplies so that they will take word back to their homes of the wealth, prosperity and goodness of our great Sultan.”

“Dear brother, may Allah's blessings attend your every move as you work to bring Castile under our control. Today a large group of young men landed on our shores with the green banner of Islam flying above them and made their way to the gates of Granada. I welcomed them (through my representative of course) to Granada and asked them their purpose, as one servant of Allah to another. They told me that they had been driven by the goodness of Allah to come to our aid by taking up the sword of Islam and coming to help drive the Christians back to the mountains. They are, they said, 'Here to help restore the glories of al-Andalus.'

“Hearing this report of their purpose, I came out to them, and welcomed them with all my heart. I have given them armor and horses, supplies and blessings, and I have sent them (with an appropriate escort) to you - they will arrive with all speed. These are true brothers in arms, who are here to hep us restore the glories of our Sultanate. Put them on the front lines - they are zealous in the love of Allah and hope fro glory in this life as well as the next.”

By 1393, Castile was once again occupied and prostrate before the armies of the Sultanate. And this time Muhammad pursued a different strategy. modern scholars have called it the Fragmentation of the Castile. By demanding Salamanca (and it’s university), Soria (with its mountainous tracks and easily defensible high places) and the great fort of Cuenca, he split Castile into great pieces. The two southern fragments were undefended, and sat beneath the gaze of the fortresses that Muhammad had captured from Castile in this and the previous wars. The power of Castile (such as it was) was restricted to the northern coast of Iberia - here they held mountainous (but poor) provinces, many with fortresses for defense - but far removed from the provinces of the interior, and unable to extend the power of Castile in the interior.

Muhammad also forced Trastamara to yield two provinces to Navarre, an act he hoped would create an opportunity for dialogue with that Kingdom. But the opposite happened.

“The Navarrese, far from welcoming us to their court once we delivered the news of our glorious Sultan's gifts of land, cities and harbors from Castile, have forbidden us from entering their lands. They informed us that they view us as enemies and heathens. They claim that it was not the great generosity of the Sultan and his kindness that granted them these land from their ancient enemy, but their God. We replied as best we could, but we were dealing with rough soldiers and men in coarse robes who claimed to speak for their king, and so, for fear of losing our lives at the hands of these rude men, we departed and have sent this information to you by our fastest messenger.”

The defeat (yet again) of Trastamara pushed Castile into a cycle of rebellion and foreign aggression. Within months, noble rebels once again rose up, and this time captured the capital of Trastamara as well as the wealthy towns of Burgos and Palencia. Navarre, seeing its chance to further its claims against Castile, declared war. Portugal, anxious to exact revenge on Henry joined on Navarre’s side.

“The Navarrese, intent on taking control of Burgos and its wealth even though your majesty has a stronger claim to that land, fight against both Trastamara and the rebels who oppose him. The Portuguese rudely travel through our land, claiming that the barest of borders exist between Zamora and Avila, and that we should be happy that they are pursuing the destruction of Trastamara, as we have done again and again. Lacking guidance from you majesty (although we are sure it is coming from your presence as quickly as a fast horse can travel) and wanting to maintain the peace with Portugal if at all possible, we decided to let them pursue our common enemy, with their assurance they would neither harass nor harm our people. They abided by their vow (they are, it seems, Christians who also live in fear of Allah, and therefore abide by their vows) and they are now gone from our borders, having captured the towns and villages of the countryside.”

“Navarre has made peace with Trastamara. Burgos has fallen into their hands, and they now send menacing looks and occasional armed men to the borders of Soria and Segovia. They are reveling in their victories, although their victories include just one province and the release of the ancient kingdom of Galicia from the grasp of Trastamara. They claim their God has taken them one more step in their quest to reclaim their ancient rights and lands in Hispania , but perhaps their God is taking them along the path of madness. They insulted their allies in Portugal by granting them nothing in the peace with Trastamara - the ancient house of Burgundy that once rules most of this land surely interprets that as an insult worth remembering. And Galicia, although now free, has already protested against the claims of Navarre and has asserted that their independence is not just a step on their subjection to another foreign master. And so Navarre creates unrest, unease, and disunity among the Christian nations.

“They have also ensured that Castile is weak and poor - unable to defend itself against neighbors, rebellious nobility or even peasants. For this we should thank them, even while we plan to defend against them - those whom Allah drives mad can still carry a sword and do much damage unless the people of Allah are prepared.”

This peace established a new status quo in al-Andalus. The two southern arms of Castile were rich but defenseless, and local nobles jostled for power and influence with Portugal, Aragon, the ancient kingdoms of the area, and the Sultanate. The northern enclave of Castile is ripe for conflict between the Sultanate, Portugal, Galicia and a revived Navarre. But the clearest winner and dominant power was the Sultanate, which Muhammad had pushed from the being one of the weakest Iberian states to the strongest, one with great wealth, universities, flourishing trade, and many opportunities for future growth - in fact he laid the foundation for the rebirth of al-Andalus in both word and fact.

It will be worth examining a few aspects of the Sultanate during the reign of Muhammad before moving on. These include the variance alliances the Sultan attempted to establish , the changing role of religion in the Sultanate, the arrival and impacts of the Plague, and the role of the great fortresses in extending and protecting the Sultanate.

~~~~~

Excellent new update! Your writing quality is noticeably improved between the two. Could you identify who is speaking in each passage? I imagine most of them belong to the Sultan and his brother, but I just want to be sure.

Really cool update mike, shame no leon for portugal to cobble up, but lear up thoes borders asap, or the border gore monster shall devour you.

Just 2 general, outside of Granada observaions: dang england laimed a lot ofpovinces in 50 odd years- 3/4 against france quite significant.
Also is it due to your tech group, that you can see so much of the world at game start- i mean for comparisons sake you could only see Europe and northen africa as Aragon in your last AAR, in this one you can see Asia, right round india, and parts of southern china and northern indonesia- or is it something else, or do you just not know?

The Fluidity of Alliances

Alliances (and the lack of them) played a great part in the strategies Muhammad brought to bear during his reign.

In his mind (and words) his greatest victory was described in this way.

“Peter, by Grace of Allah holder of the Crowns of Aragon, has agreed to our offer of alliance against the usurper in Castile. He has agreed to our proposal in all its aspects - the border that exists now between our two realms will not be challenged by either side, the trade that flows into our two great centers of trade will not be redirected by our merchants or our fleets (although merchants from both our realms can trade in both and reap whatever benefits they can), and we will enter no alliance that threatens the other.” ~ note from Muhammad to his council announcing the alliance with Aragon

The alliance was a direct result of the first war with Castile. Peter of Aragon, a strong enemy of Peter of Castle, initially supported Henry of Trastamara. But when Henry successfully usurped the Castilian throne, he immediately turned his back on his one time protector of Aragon, and asserted claims that touched on the rights and privileges claimed by the House of Barcelona. Muhammad’s double victory against Peter and Henry convinced Peter of Aragon that alliance with Granada was the wisest path.

The emirate of Tripoli, a strong but decentralized state on centered on Tripoli and Tunis in North Africa, extended along the coast of North Africa towards Egypt. Muhammad began an alliance that lasted for decades, but the alliance actually was never invoked by either side. Tripoli was never called to war by Granada; neither did it ask Granada to come to its defense. It was more of an alliance of royal families, which both sides offering brides and grooms to the other as part of an extensive network of Islamic ruling families across the southern Mediterranean.

The Sultan took a very different approach to the Ottoman Turks.

“We have heard of your brave warriors and brilliant generals, and we know of your love of Islam and Allah. We have followed your wars against the remnants of Rome and the tribes that brought her low, and no that you fear no nation, no army and no man. We appeal to you to join us in an alliance to both guard the lands of Islam and expend them as we can. We will gladly come to your aid in all your wars; will do the same for us. between us guard the front lines of Islam and know the feel of Christian steel and Christian disdain even as we obliterate their men at arms and grind them into the ground. We offer our love and brotherhood, and ask that you extend the same to hold the lamp of Allah above the heads of all those who look at us and marvel.” ~ message from Muhammad to the Ottoman pasha in 1369

This, and many similar messages were sent by the court of Muhammad to the court of the Ottoman pasha. For many years they were rejected for various reasons: “Your shores are too far from us, how can we come to your aid?”, “We do not know you, how can we trust you or welcome you as our brothers?”, “We have within us the pure blood of the Turk, but what runs in your veins?”, and “The Christians of the east and west are two people, why would we take war to the one just because we are at war with the other?” But Muhammad persevered, sending diplomats regularly to Bursa, gifts, offers of marriage, and other inducements.

Finally, in 1373, the Ottomans agreed to an alliance.

However, the Ottomans, like the rulers of Tripoli, seem to have regarded the alliance with the Sultanate as one of royal houses uniting in marriage, but not for states offering mutual militarily assistance. For over 10 years Muhammad extended offer after offer to come to the aid of the Ottomans in their wars against the Byzantines, Vidin (a Bulgar state that claimed the mantle of Rome as Byzantium fell), and the various Turkic tribes of Anatolia. The Ottomans neglected (or refused) to accept these offers of help, and at the death of one Ottoman pasha, Muhammad allowed the marriage alliance between the two states to fall, and with it the military alliance.

Muhammad later extended the offer of a new alliance to the new Ottoman pasha, which was accepted. But the Ottomans again refused the help of the Sultanate against their rivals in Anatolia, and this alliance was also allowed to lapse - but this time with angry words from Sultan to Pasha, with the predictable impact of soured relations between the two states.

Fez was yet another interesting case during the reign of Muhammad. Although there was a brief period where the two states were nited in an uneasy alliance, it lasted for only a few months, and was abandoned when the Emir of Fez renounced it with claims to rule in al-Andalus and denounced Muhammad as a heretical ruler.

“We have seen the ongoing efforts of the rulers of Fez to act against the interests of Allah and his rightly-guided people as they try to impose their heretical beliefs on the people. For many years we turned a blind eye on this, thinking that we would be able to bring our errant brothers to their senses though love, persuasion, right-thinking dialogues, the sending of scholars of Islam to his court, and every other method we could contrive. But now we must admit the failure of this approach, and for the third time the blood of our fellow Muslims rises from the sands of Fez to demand recompense - their are martyrs for the cause of Islam, and we, alone of the seventies of Allah, are in a position to respond.

“Indeed, the people themselves are rising against the unrighteous and heretical rulers, and declare that we will move to help them as true followers of Allah.” ~statement from Muhammad to his council, the first known assertion of Granadan right to intervene in Fez.

The suppression of the Sunni population in Fez reached such as extent that rebels rose up in most of the coastal provinces, and directly challenged the right of the Emir of Fez to rule those lands.

While it would have been an ideal time to intervene (given Muhammad’s assert of his rights to do so), events in North Africa temporarily distracted Granada’s attention from Fez to the Emirate of al-Djazair.

In 1400 Tripoli found itself in a war with the fractured emirate of al-Djazair. Granada had established several claims to rich coastal cities on the coast of North Africa - cities with extensive trade ties to Seville and the coastal cities of the Sultanate. Seeing the disarray of al-Djazair and fearing the disruption of the trade in gold, salt and other goods from the interior of Africa, Muhammad declared on al-Djazair and moved to take advantage of the chaos created by Tripoli.

“The strategy of the warriors of Tripoli is a mystery to us - they attack the towns and cities of al-Djazair, but immediately turn from their sieges and march into the mountainous interior at the merest rumor of the enemy. They have done us a great favor, though - the cities of the coast are weakened from fatigue and hunger, and our armies are able to move into the abandoned siege lines built by Tripoli. And our fleets command the seas, and so our men are able to land at the feet of the fortresses of al-Djazair and besiege them directly from the sea. Allah surely guides our steps as well as those of our enemies.” ~ message from Granada’s military commander in North Africa to the court of Muhammad

“The people of al-Djazair have risen as one against the armies that defend as well as besiege their lands, including those of the Sultanate. They have reached a boiling point - crops destroyed, harbors burnt, town and villages despoiled and depopulated, and the people driven to the hills for safety. We cannot tell if there is a common leader behind the revolts, but we have heard that armed men have arisen in all the provinces of al-Djazair, and our spies and scouts are scouring the land to find the leaders.” ~ message from the commander of the siege of Wahran to the court in Granada

During the war with al-Djazair, the great alliance with Aragon ended. Peter died, and his daughter Isabel rose to the throne. Where her father saw the value of the alliance with Granada to counter the threat of Castile under Peter and then Henry, Isabel was one of the great Catholic partisans of her day. While she understood the value of strong and safe borders, she completely rejected the idea of an alliance with “the heathens of Arabia” as she characterized the Sultan and Sultanate.

The collapse of the alliance with Aragon, the cancellation of the alliance with the Ottomans, and the reality that the alliance with Tripoli was one of marriage but not military support meant the Sultan had to look in new directions. The danger in Iberia was high - each of the Sultanate’s Christian neighbors were aggressively extending claims into the Sultanate - and strong allies would be required in the future. But first he had to complete the war with al-Djazair.

~~~~~

Hopefully the Christians are too quarrelsome with each other to form a united front against the Sultanate.