• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, it's rather that or an alliance with Britian - this is the lesser of two evils :D

:D

Would this be the alliance of Isenguard and Mordor against Rohan and Gondor? :p

Nah, not this time period. GB in this game at the start is more along the lines of Numenor, the island empire that walked into Mordor and told Sauron to beg them not to kill him. And it worked.

Gondor was essentially their continental colony that survived the insanely bad idea of declaring war on God. The LOTR trilogy was about declining powers and diminished races fighting one last big war against an insanely evil and powerful foe. Mankind was no different in that respect, even though they did win.

Then again, Tolkien discouraged reading too much into the book and finding analogues between factions and real countries. Isenguard and Saruman especially serve to show how anyone can end up screwing their enviroment and their former allies, as well as themselves.

Nah, not this time period. GB in this game at the start is more along the lines of Numenor, the island empire that walked into Mordor and told Sauron to beg them not to kill him. And it worked.

Gondor was essentially their continental colony that survived the insanely bad idea of declaring war on God. The LOTR trilogy was about declining powers and diminished races fighting one last big war against an insanely evil and powerful foe. Mankind was no different in that respect, even though they did win.

Then again, Tolkien discouraged reading too much into the book and finding analogues between factions and real countries. Isenguard and Saruman especially serve to show how anyone can end up screwing their enviroment and their former allies, as well as themselves.

I own all of Tolkien's works incl. the edited books from his son. That was a joke. A publication I'm subscribed to and will be published in this month, routinely goes into Tolkien and his embedded philosophy and theology. I'm in well aware as to Tolkien's broader esoteric commentary.

Last edited:
*applause*

Been a fun ride! :)
You're welcome

It was fun for us all, I think!
Good!

Glad to see this brought to such a satisfying conclusion :) Scandinavia may not be the Top Dog, but Top Three is no mean feat -- and, of course, seeing the British get pushed down in the rankings never gets old ;)

(Also: Go Krakow! I like seeing the survival of the most unlikely underdogs.)
Yes was fun seeing Krakow somehow still exist.

Glad you had fun with the game, Victoria 2 is my favorite Paradox game and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I am very glad I got to play it.

Now just keep playing until you can do a Krakow WC run :D
Hmmmm .... no? :D

I'm pretty sure this AAR has persuaded me to - in the long run - get more invested in the Victoria 2 AARsection. Despite not owning the game and knowing all details, it was very enjoying to watch Sweden grow. Thanks for doing this AAR, I'm sure we all had as much fun reading your actions as you playing and writing it.
If there is higher praise for an AAR I don't know what it is.

Vicky AARs at their best are in fact the best on the entire board, but there's not very many and they are quite old now. Would like to see greater interest from those whom are not simply playing grand campaigns.

Stay tuned for when my grand campaign eventually gets to Vicky 2o_O

Been a fun ride. Now go back and dismantle Germany
Lol. It does tempt me to play Austria at some point.

Great work @stnylan! Though this is to be expected from you. It's official: Nordic-Germanic alliance is OP! Must nerf! :p
Sweden is not OP. They just got nerfed IRL.

Well, it's rather that or an alliance with Britian - this is the lesser of two evils :D
Given the way our two Spheres in South America kept disagreeing choosing Germany over UK makes even more sense.

I would consider it more like Athens and Sparta, given my cultural and naval superiority in this game and Germany's army. In this analogy Austria would be a union of Thebes and Thessaly/Macedon. France would be Argos. UK probably Syracuse. Russia would take role of Persian Empire. Netherlands might be Corinth.

Admittedly I am not sure how to shoehorn Communist China into this. Perhaps Egypt? Or maybe Elam?

Perhaps Krakow can be Plataea?

I would consider it more like Athens and Sparta, given my cultural and naval superiority in this game and Germany's army. In this analogy Austria would be a union of Thebes and Thessaly/Macedon. France would be Argos. UK probably Syracuse. Russia would take role of Persian Empire. Netherlands might be Corinth.

Admittedly I am not sure how to shoehorn Communist China into this. Perhaps Egypt? Or maybe Elam?

Perhaps Krakow can be Plataea?
You forgot the most important side-kick of Germany: Belgium :eek:! Where do they fit in?

You forgot the most important side-kick of Germany: Belgium :eek:! Where do they fit in?
Well Belgium is tricky given what has gone on. That is why I tried to ignore them :)

Remember to begin with Belgium was the sidekick of the French. Perhaps Aegina?

Well Belgium is tricky given what has gone on. That is why I tried to ignore them :)

Remember to begin with Belgium was the sidekick of the French. Perhaps Aegina?
Trying to ignore that, knowing I'm reading this? I thought you would've known better :p. But I can agree with your proposal ;).

It was a fun ride. Congrats on finishing this AAR.
Sorry, I didn't have enough time to comment on a regular basis, but let me assure you I read it with great pleasure, even when you keep on bullying my poor France. :( :p

Trying to ignore that, knowing I'm reading this? I thought you would've known better :p. But I can agree with your proposal ;).
One can try ;)
It was a fun ride. Congrats on finishing this AAR.
Sorry, I didn't have enough time to comment on a regular basis, but let me assure you I read it with great pleasure, even when you keep on bullying my poor France. :( :p
No worries. Glad you enjoyed it.

Otherwise all a more for my next AAR, which will be in EU4. Actual gameplay won't happen for a bit, but decided to get on with what I shall call the setup.

Entering the First Court: Kanem Bornu

My apologies for not commenting earlier @stnylan but I hope I can make up for it now! I really enjoyed your work on this, seeing you get to grips with the game and I'm glad to hear it was a much fun writing and playing as it was to read! :)

My apologies for not commenting earlier @stnylan but I hope I can make up for it now! I really enjoyed your work on this, seeing you get to grips with the game and I'm glad to hear it was a much fun writing and playing as it was to read! :)
You're welcome @RossN.