• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

2009 EUIII OscAARs

• The Audacity of Hope by Prawnstar

Votes: 81 60,9%
  • The Shortest Road to Damascus by aldriq

Votes: 25 18,8%
  • The Dark Muse by Brandenburg III

Votes: 8 6,0%
  • Rigid with FeAAR by gabor

Votes: 12 9,0%
  • Yemen- The Happy Arabia by Range

Votes: 7 5,3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May I ask why Chinese Cheese - A Ming AAR wasn't nominated?

It isn't often to see the entire world converted to Hindu and also one culutre,Chihan.
An excellent question, DSwann. I assumed all AARs had been vetted by the nomination process, but as it turns out, this AAR was not even included there and I can see no reason that it should not have been. I will mention that there are a large number of AARs to pour through to find these nominations and we try hard to use that nomination process to correct errors prior to the contest itself. It is unfortunate that this obvious error was not caught earlier.

Outside of starting the process over again, I see no way to rectify this situation. Shall we begin again? Forum vote will say. What say you?

Last edited:
Why is there no 'slam head into the wall'-smiley on this forum? We could use one right now...

Perhaps we could ask kebzero if he has a big problem with not being included in the nomination thread and if he doesn't I'd say we continue the proces, after having extensively apologized to kebzero for missing his AAR.

Why is there no 'slam head into the wall'-smiley on this forum? We could use one right now...

Perhaps we could ask kebzero if he has a big problem with not being included in the nomination thread and if he doesn't I'd say we continue the proces, after having extensively apologized to kebzero for missing his AAR.

wallbashdc1.gif

Fortunately totalwarcenter has a wide range of smilies.

An excellent question, DSwann. I assumed all AARs had been vetted by the nomination process, but as it turns out, this AAR was not even included there and I can see no reason that it should not have been. I will mention that there are a large number of AARs to pour through to find these nominations and we try hard to use that nomination process to correct errors prior to the contest itself. It is unfortunate that this obvious error was not caught earlier.

Outside of starting the process over again, I see no way to rectify this situation. Shall we begin again? Forum vote will say. What say you?

Interesting question...with no easy answer.

I'm not familiar with the AAR that was omitted. Still, I know how I'd feel if one of my AARs was not included. Reflecting...I'm deeply sorry that anyone's AAR has been omitted. Still, with there being so many AARs, I can fully understand
how even a few could be missed.

On the first day of the polls, I even checked to make certain that my ARRs were included (as I wasn't sure). As for why the author hasn't complained...I just hope he or she doesn't think it was on purpose...as it was obviously an honest oversight.

As for the question of starting over, I can't see how we can? Instead, maybe we could do a second poll of every completed 2009 AAR that didn't get into the final. We could call it Forum Choice Awards.

Better yet, the process should be left up to the author of the AAR to enter his or her AAR. Then, If the AAR meets a certain criteria it is entered into the poll.

wallbashdc1.gif

Fortunately totalwarcenter has a wide range of smilies.

Of course you could have used a picture of me hitting my head against the wall...I do that everyday just after I shoot myself in the foot.

Last edited:
Usually at this point, we would offer congratulations to the winner, and given the apparent winner's large lead over all the other nominees, I think we might safely guess that another contest would not differ too greatly in the results. That said, I did send kebzero a PM yesterday morning offering sure apologies and a chance to let us know how he would prefer to move forward. I suggest we allow another day or two and if there is no word in return, then we proceed with stamping this contest official and complete...and a success, even if we hit a bump at the end. 133 votes guys...that's awesome! :cool:

And while we wait, don't forget the other contests currently running - check my sig. Oh...and the ACAs are just now underway as well. Votes aplenty! :D

Have just answered the PM (which, given the April 1st date had me wondering), but I'll drop a post here too. :)

I've no problem with the situation as is - "Chinese Cheese" simply wasn't nominated, and so it wasn't ever on the radar. I'd wager there are quite a few other AARs out there that were eligible, but also failed to get nominations.

Congratulations are in order to PrawnStar; a worthy winner if I've ever read one. Heck, even with all others combined, he'd still win. Quick, someone buy him a different strategy game so the rest of us might catch a break next year! ;-)

Congrats PrawnStar, aldriq and gabor on winning the gold, silver and bronze and heads-up to BBIII and Range, great job finishing an AAR and getting nominated.

Yes...Congratulations PrawnStar, aldriq and gabor on winning the well-deserved honor of gold, silver and bronze.

And, Brandenburg III...your AAR "The Dark Muse" revealed a rare talent...keep it up. Good luck in all your future endeavors. Also, thank you for getting this poll started...applause...

Last edited:
Thank you to kebzero for his understanding and certainly congratulations to PrawnStar for a huge victory! Congrats to all the nominees, to be sure and to you the forum for getting out and supporting this contest so well. I'll repeat - 133 votes...great job!

Now make sure and vote in those other contests too! :D

Congratulations to Prawnstar, aldriq, and gabor on your gold, silver, and bronze.

Also, every AAR nominated was great. Keep writing! :D

Congratulations Prawnstar for a well deserved victory. Thank you to all 5 nominated authors, and kebzero, for providing the readers with such quality AARs. And well done to the fandom for the great voter turn out.

congrats to Prawnstar on gold and aldriq on silver (you got my vote :))!
proud to have come third :D
congrats to all nominees! and big thank you to all readAARs and votAARs.
the OscAARs and other fan-vote stuff provides incentive for all writAARs to keep playing and writing; these boards are amazing!

I'd better do a speech, entering [gush] mode...

I'd like to thank everyone who's taken part, especially Brandenburg III for doing the underappreciated work administering and promoting the OscAARs. Congratulations also to the other nominees. I've read the four AARs in the last month; all different, all excellent.

'Audacity' caught the attention of the Forum and took off in a way that to this day leaves me completely stunned. I'm terribly proud of the AAR so I'm massively pleased AARland appreciates it; after all just about everyone I know in RL thinks I should grow up and stop playing computer games.

Once again thank you to all the votAARs, readAARs and commentAARs for the support and feedback.
Without you there would be no AARs.

[/gush] ;)

I do have another AAR planned but RL conspires against me with a serious workload and responsiblity increase likely to be formalised within a couple of weeks (I've been 'acting up' for a few months).

Congratulations to all the nominees, especially PrawnStar and gabor for their osCAARs, and thanks to all the votAARs, readAARs, commentAARs and moderatAARs who make AARland such a great community.

This second place after PrawnStar is an amazing honour -does this make me honorary secretary of state of the Great Iroquois Republic? :rolleyes:- that I wasn't even remotely expecting when the process started, given the high quality of all the AARs nominated. I'll get some silver polish right away...

I do have another AAR planned but RL conspires against me...

EU3 or HOI3?

This second place after PrawnStar is an amazing honour -does this make me honorary secretary of state of the Great Iroquois Republic?
Is your name Hilary? ;)

EU3 or HOI3?
EU3 - I can't get into HOI3 having spent a month trying without enjoying. I was looking at the whole tribal thing but I've been playing the less well known mods and found an interesting challenge.