• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Range

General
12 Badges
May 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
[post=15261552]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

Here’s my first attempt to play EU1. I do not have a manual, but I promise everyone that reads this ARR that I will not quit…I will try my best to finish in 1792. I have played a number of EU3 games, so I know how to survive and prosper.

I will play at a decent speed (8 months a minute). Even in battle I will not slow the game down. The only time I’ll pause is to read some of the pop-ups.
Normal difficulty
The game will be played honestly, no re-dos.
Most likely I will make a lot of mistakes.

As for Portugal:
It’s a very poor nation.
If I get into wars almost anyone can take Portugal out. So, if possible wars will be avoided.
But, that doesn’t mean that this journey will be boring.
As for natives I will for the most part wipe them out.
There’s a whole new world out there…and, Portugal is going to lead the way in finding it and making a good portion of it theirs.

Portugal

Entry 1

30awdag.jpg

On the 6th of January, 1492, Christopher Columbus discovered a small island that is a part of the Bahamas. Or, rather Rodrigo de Triana, a sailor on watch did. But, that’s a tale that very few care about. Regardless who actually spotted the tiny island the race for the new world was on.

Columbus would check out five islands in the Bahamas, before heading to explore Cuba, then Hispanola. Afterward he then set sail back to Spain… stopping off in Portugal before reporting his findings to Queen Isabella.

I suppose Columbus wanted to rub a little dirt in the Portuguese’s wounds for their failure to recognize a great explorer like him. “You could have had me…and, the discoveries would have been Portugal’s."

Up to this point Portugal was staking claim with their traders at several points along the coast of Africa. But, now the possibility of a even bigger prize seemed right within their grasp.

jtx6ar.jpg

King John II

Learning of this knowledge King John II of Portugal gathered his wise men. But, there was one that had already had his ear.

“My king…” said the explorer Corte Real G. “I know of a man that claims he has seen a land that will bring your realm riches beyond belief.”

King John II remained silent for a moment as he recalled his two meetings with Columbus. “I turned down Columbus, because a second route to Asia was unnecessary. But, new lands…that’s another story. What is this man’s name?”

“He goes by the name of Range, sire.”

King John II gave Corte Real G. one ship to find this land. Range would accompanied Corte. They soon set sail.

muk6eh.jpg

On the 25th of August 1493 land was seen off in the distance. But, they did not land, there was no Conquistador with them nor was there one in all of Portugal at this time.

25swfn8.jpg

The one gallant ship sailed up and down the coastline, looking for land that could be settled. Finally, there was open land. Settlers soon began to arrive. The question was could the tiny settlement survive the winter?

With winter arriving, Corte decided to head back toward Azores to restock supplies.

xgfpms.jpg

Back in Portugal King John II had learned of Corte’s discovery. In hopes of protecting a colony he provisioned an expedition of two thousand men and had them set out to join Corte at the Azores.

24pyt0n.jpg

By the time, Corte and Range arrived back in the new world a colony had taken hold in Savannah, and there was a second opened plot of real estate right beside Savannah for the taking. In the early going two-thousand soldiers would prove to be a god send with natives about. And, there was a safe harbor.

Last edited:
Wow...EU1. Much has changed from EU3.

Good luck with this...you've got no competition at least! :)

Wow...EU1. Much has changed from EU3.

Good luck with this...you've got no competition at least! :)

Thank you for replying, and taking the time to find the AAR. Being the only writer for the game I feel sort of strange...can you hear the echoes?

As for EU1, it's a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward in reading your EU2 AAR attempt, my friend. And, congrats for your EU3 nomination for Best Completed AAR for 2012 "Grey Eminence". Good luck.

Last edited:
[post=15272204]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

Entry 2

352rt6a.jpg

One day, Range rode to a small mission that was set up by a group of Catholic monks in Savannah. Dismounting, he soon found himself staring through an open doorway into a tiny and darken chapel. He wondered whether he should walk in. In fact, he was about to turn to leave when he heard someone within the chapel speak to him.

“Why not come in my son...you’re already here,” said a kindly old monk, seated in a darken corner beside the door inside the chapel.

“I was wondering if you were open for business,” said Range.

For God’s work, our door is never closed.” The old monk then got up from his simply stool. Carrying a large book, he slowly moved over to Range. “You look troubled my son.”

“I don’t know why I’ve come…maybe to find some answers.”

“Some answers are found with prayers...others are found with a sword.”

“Or, in a book,” Range added, quickly. “…a Bible?”

“No” the monk said sheepishly. “At times I allow myself a moment of pleasure to reason outside the word of God, simply as research, you understand.”

“Of course, research" replied Range with a grin. He then made a slow nonthreatening reach for the book, asking, "My I...”

Of course...of course,” said the monk as he handed the book over to Range.

In taking the book, Range was immediately surprised in reading the title embossed on the cover. “Futuro Predicho...future untold. Monk...don’t you know having such books can have you burned at the stake?” Asked Range with a friendly tone.

“It’s not a book of fortune telling...Or, a book from the devil…it’s a book of prophecies.”

“Well, I don’t know if there’s a difference. . . monk.,.”

“Please, Range, my name is Father Tomas de Vega...but, you can call me Tomas.”

fm2d7k.jpg

Tomas

“All right...Tomas it is, then.”

The two men shook hands, and before their hands had separated the monk asked a peculiar question. “Do you believe in destiny?”

“If you mean that I was meant to step into that doorway a moment ago?”

“That was only another step in your journey.”

“Well, the next thing you’ll see is me walking out that door, good day.” Range turned to leave, but stopped and turned back around when he heard Tomas continue speaking.

“You cannot avoid the purpose for your being here, my son.”

“Look, first off...l’m not your son...my father is a grey haired old man, and you’re not him. As for the reason why I’m here no one knows, not even me.”

Believe me, Range…I have no intention of upsetting you.”

“Well, you haven’t.” Range's words were coarse, but for another reason.

“You can not run away from your destiny.”

“You can keep destiny...if density includes fighting wars. I've had my fill of fighting. All I want is to build a great nation."

“With that I have no doubt that you shall."

“The question is can I accomplish that without causing war after war?"

“You will fight if only to help us to survive. And, if you are this man that prophecy foretells will come...you must fight because you are a warrior. It is your destiny and your lot in life.”

“What Prophecy?”

“You will see.” The old monk then turned and slowly walked away, leaving Range to think of his many journeys through time.

34pdkcj.jpg

As for Portugal. I’m hoping not to take a loan. Unless, we’re going to war there’s no reason to take a loan. The interest alone can kill a nation. And, if you don’t pay it back things can get very ugly. Beside there’s always minting if you keep it in check until you can get some governors for a one-time inflation of minus one percent for each governor.

oa91dy.jpg

The business of setting up a string of trading posts and colonies was underway. After a trader was set up for business in Carolina, additional open lands were found not so far away. A colony in Biloxi came next.

At this point of time, in Carolina, Range made it very clear to leave the natives in this region alone. “If we don’t bother them, they won’t bother us.

“Those are fateful words,” remarked one soldier beneath his breath.

“Aye," said another soldier. "I just hope it won’t spell the end of us all.”

vhxaio.jpg

I don’t put much stock in missions. Unless, you pause right when the “Succeeded” pop up appears, and select a new mission yourself, the game more than likely will select a mission for you that's impossible to succeed at. So, my advise is if you want to succeed with missions you better be quick when that "Succeeded" pop-up appears, to pause and then select a more attainable mission yourself.

Last edited:
To echo Ashantai:

Wow, EU1!

Good luck on your endeavour.

Thanks. EU1 is a fun game. I hope others will rediscover it, and if its possible begin playing the game...and write an After Action Report to its completion.

Last edited:
[post=15283703]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL
Entry 3

30awdag.jpg

jtx6ar.jpg

King Manual I

Manuel I grew up in a troubled time in Portugal. The country abounded with conspiracies. His oldest brother, Diogo was stabbed and killed by the King John II in the throne room over suspicion of Conspiracy. In fact, many people were exiled and killed due to conspiracy.

It’s no wonder, upon being summoned to the throne by the king, Manuel was nervous. But, all it came down to King John II wanted to name Manuel his successor to the throne.

Manuel I was John I first cousin. He continued his cousin’s work of exploration after he rose to the throne with the death of King John II in 1495. India a very important prize to his kingdom.

Back in the new world, Range was being haunted by what Tomas had said to him about destiny. One day he paid a little visit to his friend at the mission in Savannah.

“Oh, my friend, so nice to see you again,” said Tomas, all smiles, when he first seen Range.”

Range stared at Tomas for moment, not saying a word.

“What’s wrong?” Tomas laughed. “Was it something I said to you during our last visit?”

“All right...who are you?

Tomas grinned, before replying. “As you can plainly see I’m a Catholic monk…poor as the mouse that lives with me.”

“You may look like a monk, but it doesn’t mean you’re monk...take your bock for instance.”

“What of the book...do you think it’s imaginary?

“No...I’m just wondering who wrote it.”

“So, my friend, you’re beginning to believe in the books”

“I didn’t say that...I’m just wondering who the author is?”

Tomas laughed, “you know for a book of prophecies it has many mysteries, one is it’s author.”

“Do you mean it has no author?”

“None...come see for yourself.”

Despite Tomas’ urging for Range to look at the book, our hero was set against the idea. “No thank you, I don’t want to read something that might lead me to do something I don’t want to do. It’s one thing to take a suggestion...but, it’s quite another to know the future.”

“What... a man like you afraid of the future?”

“No, that’s not it. I just don’t like the idea that my destiny might be pre-arranged, and I don’t have a word to say on it coming about.”

“Life is like a road, eventually it leads to a fork that breaks off in two different directions. When it does life comes down to a choice of which path to take. Like it or not, the path you decide to take brings you to your destiny”

Range boiled, “No matter what that book says about me...I won’t drag these good people into war after war.”

“My friend, no one is saying you will...unless it’s your destiny of course.”

‘I just don’t know about you.”

“What, you have concerns about me? Come my friend and let me make you dinner so I can quiet all your concerns.”

Range dismounted and followed Tomas to his simply lodging in the back of the mission. There Tomas prepared a simple dinner for the both of them.

When dinner was finished, Tomas carefully brought up the subject of the book. “I understand your reasons for not wanting to know anything written in the book about you, but there are paragraphs in the book that foretells what Portugal will do...would you like to know of them?”

“Why not...if it doesn’t involve me in any shape or form.”

“In a region called India...there is a native inhabited province called Cochin It is in this province Portugal will raise a great settlement…”

“What of the natives there, won’t they be upset being invaded?”

“There are six-thousand of them there.”

“Well, in any case...those natives are not to be harmed...do you understand?

“I have no power in what happens, or does not happen there. But, you might if you were to accompany them on the journey...eh?”

“Maybe I better go.”
Tomas then laughed, and clapped his large hands together in merriment. “Good, for that’s exactly what is written in the book...you go to C...”

“Why do I have the feeling that I’m being pushed down one path, instead of another?”

2ry39m0.jpg

Selecting a mission is vital.

We also change the slider from trade to Infrastructure to gain the knowledge of ( )

353cyle.jpg

Portugal gained its first conquistador, Camoens. There were moans by some officials when they learned I was hijacking to North America, and I had my reasons.

vo64vk.jpg

Manhattan...at least it wasn't Cochin.

immhyc.jpg

Fresh troops and settlers…nice combination.

Last edited:
I'll jump on the 'amazed' bandwagon and say this:

EU1. Wow. I only picked up EU3 when P'dox gave it to everyone.

This looks to be a good ride, nonetheless. Good luck, and keep the sub-forum going! :)

Interesting. I've never seen an EU1 AAR so I'll pop by from time to time to check back in on this :)

Thanks for dropping by. This is my first EU1 game, and its somewhat different than EU3. And, it's proving to be a lot of fun.

I'll jump on the 'amazed' bandwagon and say this:

EU1. Wow. I only picked up EU3 when P'dox gave it to everyone.

This looks to be a good ride, nonetheless. Good luck, and keep the sub-forum going! :)

Thank you for checking in. I'll try my best not to let you down.

I have fond memories of writing EU1 aars, back when I still actively wrote aars. Interested to learn more about this book of prophecies, and how much is true and how much it may just be a tool for someone's agenda

I'm glad the book has peaked you interest. And, thank you for taking the time to read the AAR and responding.

Last edited:
[post=15297433]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

30awdag.jpg

Entry 4

Tomas’ book of prophesies foretold many things...some were warnings.

It is written:
Portugal’s new lands to the west are filled with natives. Whether they be friendly, or fierce they present a constant danger to traders, colonists and missionaries there. The natives should be dealt with and dispatched with the utmost haste.

28wlzs4.jpg

From the moment Conquistador Camoens arrived in the new world Range make sure he used his ability to the fullest. The colonel discovered Manhattan first. He remained there long enough until a colony had been started. Range would have liked to have left him there longer to help the colony grow faster, but time was precious.

Range called Camoens over to him. “We’re heading south immediately to open up and claim as much land as quickly as we can.”

“More colonies Range?”

“No…colonies are too expensive…and, we can’t afford any failures. My plan is to claim as much land as we possibly can with traders. We can colonize these lands later.”

Tomas then chimed in. “This is a very big land, colonel Camoens, many provinces are possible. It can make a small county very rich and strong just by bunching many provinces together.”

“But, first,” continued Range, “we want as much of the coast line as we can get, starting with our march to the south…so, we can string all our lands together. As we go we make friends with the natives.”

“I wish you would reconsider that point about the natives, Range.”

“My plan is to have Portugal remain at peace with everyone…”

“Nice idea,” commented Tomas. But, I wonder if it’s possible.”

“And, that’s coming from a man of peace.”

“I am a man of peace, Range” replied Tornas. “But I’m also a realist. What makes you so sure that circumstances won’t dictate how the natives react to us? We will be taking their lands. And, unless you’re willing to place soldiers in every province you have guarantee that the native will not go on the warpath.”

s4tcgz.jpg

At the start, good fortune smiles on Portugal…she gets three settlers/traders a year. Traders cost only five ducats each to send…colonist are much more expensive and have less of a chance of succeeding than traders.

tao2u9.jpg

“This is not good. It gives Spain and Portugal rights to steal land from other Catholic countries. How can Pope...decree this?”

“Pope Alexander...the sixth. It is done in hopes of avoiding war, between Spain and Portugal.” replied Tomas. “You should be thankful for he’s trying to keep Portugal safe.”

“I don’t need, Portugal doesn’t need the Pope’s help to stay at peace with the world. Besides the way this reads we're already in violation of this treaty by colonizing any lands in the Americas.”

Tomas' book often contradicts Range's sentiments.

It is written:
The poor country of Portugal stood on untold riches. And, only one man knew of this land’s true worth. From the edges of a wilderness of untamed nature…this visionary shall lead them into greatness…wars shall follow as this stranger to Portugal, who says he wants peace, shall break his plow and make it into a weapon.

mtujrn.jpg

Camoens continues to discover new lands.

Far to the East there is a growing concern.
rcn2a1.jpg

Mt. Fuji - Japan

The new Japanese emperor Go-Kashiwabara, awoke one morning and summoned his imperial court. When they had assembled, he told them of the fearsome nightmare he had awoken from. “I saw a terrible destroyer of worlds appearing from a heavy mist out of the west. Can one of you tell me the meaning of this dream?”

One member answered, ‘it is the coming storm of the European dogs approaching our world.”

"We must close our borders my emperor,” said another.

“It will do no good,” said a scribe, seated on the floor.

“What does a scribe know of such issues?” Asked a general, as he moved swiftly to attack the scribe.

“Let him speak,” ordered the emperor.

“Please forgive my insolence, my emperor,” said the scribe, as he lowered his face to the floor. “I meant no harm.”

“Why do you say such things, scribe?” The emperor inquired.

“…For it is written in the book of Prophesies, my emperor. A great warrior will come from the west to conquer our nation.”

These prophesies can also serve as a warning. What name does he go by...this destroyer.”

“The book does not say...it merely alludes to his meaning...he is the one that is not restricted by distance or time.”

“Ekisha, what do your sticks say?”

Three Ekishas, each with their own Sangi (50 sticks, four sided sticks) performed Ekisen. Once finished, each of them stared at each other’s sticks on the floor and saw they were all the same. One of them then said, “It is true, this destroyer shall come.”

This intruder needs a name…from this time on he shall be called Rangemura. Let it be written and let it be known that what I say shall be followed forever more. We must prepare for his arrival and his eventual defeat. Send the diviners to the deities of the divination courtyard to pray for our needs.”

Last edited:
Japanese prophesying spirituals claiming that Range will conquer Japan? This AAR is getting even more interesting with every update.

I'm looking forward to finding out more.

Is our enigmatic monk secretly Japanese, or do the Japanese just also happen to have the prophecies...? Hmmmm...

Hmmmm...good line.
What can I say. I guess there's some truths that all share.

Japanese prophesying spirituals claiming that Range will conquer Japan? This AAR is getting even more interesting with every update.

I'm looking forward to finding out more.

So, am I.

Last edited:
[post=15310982]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

30awdag.jpg

Entry 5

The treaty of Tordesillas…did give Range some cause to pause on whether to continue claiming lands in the Americas. But, with there being so much rich lands there how could he stop? And, with there being only silence on the issue of their breaking the treaty from the Pope, and both the Portuguese and Spanish king, he had no idea where he stood.

“What does the book say of our breaking the treaty?” Range asked Tomas.

“So, now you believe in the writings of the book?”

“I never said that I didn’t believe in the book. I just don’t want to follow it line by line.”

“In that case…let me see what the book says on the issue, eh. Of course, I’ve already taken the liberty to mark a few passages.” Tomas chuckled.

“I figured as much.”

Tomas mumbled for a moment as he reread a passage. Then, he said, “the book doesn’t come right out and say much…but, what the books says is…

The treaty of Tordesillas will be broken…but, the two great nations of Spain and Portugal will not come to odds until their provinces touch in the Americas.”

“That could mean a long time from now.”

“But, it says Spain and Portugal will come to odds.”

“I guess that might mean war. In any case, by that time we better be ready for anything.”

“So we continue?”

“At least until I’m ordered to stop…we’ll continue to claim lands in the Americas.”

“If you say so,” mumbled Tomas, as he read more. Suddenly, he angrily slammed the book shut.”

“What’s the matter?”

“This book,” said Tomas, “it troubles me…it changes…it adds things, as if it has a life of its own.”

“The book adds things?”

“As we change what was, the book adds things…you my friend, now your life hangs in the balance.”

“The treaty…the breaking of it…”

“Do you wish me to read the passage?”

“No, it won’t be necessary. “

“It would seem our good king remains silent on our breaking the treaty for good reason.”

“Yeah…I get it our good king…wins both ways.”

“If the Spanish claim our lands here… he’ll blame you…and lift your head from your shoulders…if not, The king gets a lot of rich lands in the Americas.”

Tomas’ book also described the central cause of the dispute between Spain and Portugal.

Dispute between Spain and Portugal in the Americas will be caused by a right of passage, and the need to join Spanish land in the Americas.

Last edited:
[post=15318884]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

30awdag.jpg

Entry 6

2rrt4ky.jpg

King Manuel I hadn’t forsaken Range for going to the Americas. But, he had to put forth an image that stated he was following the treaty of Tordesillas. So, he set his gaze toward the east.

King Manuel would send Colonel Almeida, his second Conquistador to discover and colonize India. He was also sending five thousand men with him. Their destination…

2lw130i.jpg

…Cochin. But, his arrival in Cochin was delayed for over a year due bad weather and damaged ships as they rounded the cape of Good hope. By the time he arrived at Cochin, a colony was already in place.

He was puzzled upon stepping foot on the shore to learn there were 6,000 natives in the province. And, he had orders to protect the colony, but not to harm the natives. “Give me a break.”

From the book of Prophesies it read:

From the simple start of the colony of Cochin, a string of Portuguese cities along the coast of India shall rise. But, as for the conquest further inland of India...it would be met with great resistance…for even a small victory the cost shall be very great.

16m9ag.jpg

Back in the Americas, Colonel Cameons was boarding ships with his troops to head south. He was leaving a flourishing colony in Manhattan, with traders on their way to Delaware and the Chesapeake.

118j3o8.jpg

Also, traders would soon be arriving in Roanoke and Sante due to his trailblazing.

Last edited:
Two very intriguing updates. It's looking as if the Treaty is going to have a rather large impact further down the line - I'm waiting to find out how.

Taking the Indian looks to be a good move, though I'm not particularly looking forward to you enduring all of those Pyrrhic victories the book mentions...

Really nice, as ever.

Two very intriguing updates. It's looking as if the Treaty is going to have a rather large impact further down the line - I'm waiting to find out how.

Taking the Indian looks to be a good move, though I'm not particularly looking forward to you enduring all of those Pyrrhic victories the book mentions...Really nice, as ever.

Thank you for kind your words. I have found a manual of sorts on line for EU1. It appears this region and Africa share a big problem for European countries...which is that the attrition rate for troops and colonists is very high. Most likely that will mean, colonies will take longer to flourish and grow into town and cities. The thought of war and the chore of defending the colonies and towns and such here is most troubling. The question is, will I have to keep pouring men into the region for support?

Anyway, that's what faces me in India and Africa. I hope I haven't bitten more than I can chew...considering what was written in the book...I have a lot of work to do to achieve those goals.

I look forward to hearing from you. I hope to play a bit this weekend and come up with another post on Sunday.

Last edited:
[post=15322309]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 7

It’s hard to believe that ten years have come and gone. And, for the third time, I selected “Keep Tangiers” as my mission.

2v99biu.jpg

In the Americas, Colonel Camones continued to open more lands.

27x08s2.jpg

Tomas’ book did not remain silent when it came to alliances.

For some countries the need of alliances is a matter of survival. But, with the small country of Portugal it would better if they go it alone. For allies can be a blessing as well as a curse…for they can draw the small nation into wars that could spell the country’s demise.

It would better for the nation to build a mighty economy to build a mighty army…

2w3s2v5.jpg

In the region of India, Almeida marched his troops south to open new lands. Attrition had already cut his down from it’s original 5,000.

I don’t want to keep saying this, but once more I selected “Keep Tangiers.”

1zp2tuh.jpg

So called peaceful natives slaughtered the settlement in Natal.

dtc8p.jpg

Almeida discovered Trivandrum.

Last edited: