• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Range

General
12 Badges
May 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Morocco – Casablanca

Range’s Journeys through time.

2z57n8h.jpg

Everyone comes to Range’s…

The year was 1399, Morocco was far from being a vacation spot. Still, many travelers made their way here. In Morocco anything could be bought for a price.

The Facility had hosted many a journey down line. Somehow the word had gotten out to the citizens of this time that there a way to escape what they saw was a world of suffering. All they needed were special papers for embarkation up line. Those that had money might be able to find those papers in Casablanca.

You will not find any record of this journey in the facilities’ records. Unofficially, you might say Range was under protective custody and as such even he never counted the trip as a journey down line.

The excursion took place prior to what he called his tenth journey “Riga – Range’s Sabbatical (Yeah Sure)”. Due to a malfunction at the facility he had just returned from his ninth journey (Hope - Brittany) sixteen years after he set out on that journey. (For an explanation – “See Yemen – the Happy Arabia”)

His life was in ruins. Oma, his wife, thinking he was dead had started life anew. Range had two grown teenagers who he never met or knew existed before his return. To make matters worse, a vengeful spirit was chasing after him.

My name is Louis Walcott. I was a high ranking official for the facility for many years. I accompanied Range on this excursion as sort of a friend, and confidant while still employed by the facility.

I suppose this is both our story.

The AAR will begin shortly.

Last edited:
Morocco – Casablanca

Range’s Journeys through time.

Part 2

2z57n8h.jpg

An all points bulletin was released in Casablanca. Two facility couriers had been found murdered just outside the city limits. Their papers are missing.

At the time my subordinate down line was Nicala Briskert. He arrived in Casablanca to lead the investigation. I met him just outside Range’s Café Americain.

Nicola: What has been done to locate the missing papers?

Walcott: We have rounded up twice as many of the usual suspects.

Nicola: What about this Range?

Walcott: He’s not under suspicion.

Nicola: And, why not…Is he not the same man that on two of his journeys brought England to her knees?

Walcott: He is not under suspicion because he cannot leave Casablanca.

Although Range was not allowed to leave Casablanca, his thoughts of what was best for Morocco were expressed to the Sultan through a messenger of sorts.

Range thought it was very important that much of Morocco’s funds were to be put toward building a strong army to be station in Tangiers. The rest would be put toward trade. He saw no reason keep a navy.

“War is coming…and, Morocco has to be ready,” Range explained. ” I have word that Portugal has taken on a mission to conquer Tangiers. That’s where they’ll attack.”

• Morocco heeded Range’s thoughts: Morocco’s navy was disbanded and its ships scuttled to afford more funds for building that army to be stationed in Tangiers.

• Morocco enlisted two allies – Algiers and Tunisia.

WAR:

s2fh2e.jpg

Morocco was relentless in their defense of their land. Victories began to pile up. But, major defeats to Castille and Aragon was turning the tide. Still, Morocco would not give up and their hope was to keep the war going until the people of those countries grew weary of war.

After Castille and Aragon had grown tired of the war that seemed to have no end, they retired (for some ducats) in January of 1410. Without their allies Portugal didn’t stand a chance against Morocco.

1199bwn.jpg

Even though Morocco was drained of man power and troops, Portugal’s position was even worse. They were appearing weak to their enemies as well as their allies so they settled for a white peace. Thus, Morocco had survived their first test for survival.

Last edited:
Yes I have.

But, I'm slow to change...

Morocco – Casablanca

Morocco – Casablanca

In doing this farce, allow me to apologize to the writers, the actors and the memory of one of the truly great movies of all time.

2z57n8h.jpg

Part 3

Range was sitting alone at a table in his café. A strange and horrid little man with big pop eyes, named Luther, came over to his table and asked if he could join him.

RANGE: It all depends on what you want Luther?

LITHER: What right would I have to ask anything of you?

Luther then pulled out a chair and sat down.

LUTHER (Cont.): It’s a shame about the facility’s agents…

RANGE: Is it…I suppose you have nothing to gain from their loss…in regard to their papers I mean?

LUTHER: Finders keepers, loser’s weepers I always say. (Pause) I disgust you don’t I Range?

RANGE: Only when you say lines like that Luther.

LUTHER: Don’t you understand that I provide a service for all that wish to leave this world for yours.

RANGE: What’s wrong with this world…this time…if you only knew of the opportunities that’s about to open up.

LUTHER: What…in Morocco? (Pause) Range…there is something you can do…hold onto some papers for me.

“If I had my say…I would tell the sultan that the best way for Morocco to become stronger would be for her to expand her borders through colonization. It’ll also would give the people of Morocco the chance to have a dream to become more than what they are.”

• 12 July 1418, a large contingent of Moroccan regulars cross into the native held territory of Rio de Oro and proceeded to wipe out the natives there in preparation for colonization.

• 11 December 1420, a settlement was started in Rio de Oro.

28vw1u.jpg

It's for old time sake...an AAR I was dying to do.

Morocco – Casablanca In doing this farce, allow me to apologize to the writers, the

Morocco – Casablanca

In doing this farce, allow me to apologize to the writers, the actors and the memory of one of the truly great movies of all time.

2z57n8h.jpg

Part 4

There was even better news for Morocco. Previous allies, Castille, Aragon and Portugal were at war with each other. All three of them were taking turns being on the wrong end of a smack down.

While all this was going on Morocco was growing in strength and prestige. Certain Moroccan shop keepers and café owners were becoming uppity, arrogant and boastful over Morocco’s growth. Range was neither. He was bitter and tormented over the memories of his past life with Oma and what he had lost.

One night he was at the bar of his café when a competing night club owner named Lancaster came in. Lancaster wanted to hire Jimmy, Range’s piano player for his saloon.

RANGE: Jimmy, Mr. Lancaster here wants you to go work for him at his saloon.

10psvub.jpg

JIMMY: Oh, what is he offering?

LANCASTER: I’ll give you twice as much as Range gives you.

JIMMY: (shocked) That’s ridiculous...I ask you how much does a man need to exist? It might interest you to know Range pays me with food. All that I can eat. (chuckles) And, he throws in a room to boot…my room’s window overlooks the rubbish bin in the alley way.

One day, Range reviewed a written announcement from a few years back. He recalled at the time when it was released that he thought it strange because Morocco had no navy.

10og283.jpg

“Louis…I think it’s time to rebuild our navy,” said “Range. Now, if only the sultan felt the same way.” A day later, the sultan announced that Morocco would immediately begin to rebuild it’s navy.

Last edited:
Morocco – Casablanca

Morocco – Casablanca

2z57n8h.jpg

Part 5

Ace, a worker from the back room then came up to Range to give him the update on a friend.

ACE: Pam’s at it again…

RANGE: I told you to keep her out of the back room. (Pause) Is she still there?

ACE: At the Roulette Table.

Range, furious, stormed toward the back room. He was soon standing behind Pam watching her lay down a bet.

RANGE: How did you get in here?

WALCOTT: I brought her…Range. I didn’t think you’d mind...seeing she’s a friend of yours and all.

RANGE: There’s friends and there are friends…and, she doesn’t need this.

PAM: It’s the only way I can see to get a ticket out of Casablanca to start anew. (Pause) Range…where were you last night?

RANGE: What’s the going rate for a trip up line these days?

WALCOTT: Range…whatever are you referring to?

RANGE: How much?

WALCOTT: For her…as a favor to you…four thousand.

RANGE: Some favor…

Walcott shrugged in response.

RANGE: Ace…Clear everyone away from this table…except for me, Walcott and blonde. (To Pam) How many chips do you have left?

PAM: Four-fives.

RANGE: Place your stack on number zero. (He then gave the stickman a nod)

The stickman spun the wheel and dropped the ball. The ball eventually stops on number zero.

RANGE: Now, move your entire stack to double zero.

After seeing Range give him a nod, the stickman dropped the ball onto the spinning wheel. The ball eventually drops into a slot.

STICKMAN: Double-Zero…the little lady wins again.

RANGE: Ace…Cash the lady out…then, bring the money to me for safe-keeping (to Pam) That’s enough for a one way trip and a little extra to get you started on your new life.

Pam, thankful, hugs Range before running off.

WALCOTT: You know Range…the French Roulette wheel doesn’t have a Double-Zero.

RANGE: Then it’s a lucky thing for Pam that she was playing on an American table.

WALCOTT: Lucky for Pam, but not so lucky for me. (Pause) Then again, maybe luck had nothing to do with her winning.

RANGE: Then let us call it Providence and let it go at that.

Moroccan Chronicles

Providence was watching over Morocco. Years before, it was Range that indirectly suggested to the Sultan that it time to build a navy.

WAR:

Castile is a great nation. They, like Aragon and Portugal have had their eyes on Tangiers for many years. In a previous war, Morocco had taken on all three of the invaders and beat them handily. Still, Castile was determined to make Tangiers theirs and theirs alone. They declared war on Morocco and were willing to take them on by themselves.

Months into the war, Morocco found themselves alone as well when Tunisia (their only ally) accepted a white peace from Castile. An invasion of Tangiers was imminent. A large force of Castilian troops were gathering to be transported over into Morocco. All that stood in their way was the untried Moroccan navy.

The Moroccan navy surprised the Castilian navy by moving up the coast from Toubkhal and catching them in the straits of Gibraltar. A navy battle ensued.

1256jxv.jpg

The large Ships of the Castilian navy never came into play against Morocco. They were fighting the English.

A few months after the navy battle of Straits of Gibraltar, Castile settled for a white peace with Morocco. The war was over without a single Castilian soldier stepping foot on Moroccan soil.

Ah, a new Range AAR, I shall try and follow!

Btw, I love the Movie Casablanca, so how could I not follow? :p

Morocco – Casablanca

Morocco – Casablanca

2z57n8h.jpg

Part 6

Louis Walcott was a frequent visitor to Range’s Café Americain. And, why not, Range was his only friend.

WALCOTT: Range I don’t want to distress you, but someone you know quite will be coming to Casablanca tonight. And, she won’t be alone. Now, I’m telling you this as a warning. The man she’s coming with will be trying to get transit papers for up line.

RANGE: What does all that got to do with me?

WALCOTT: The authorities know that a lot of return transits are bought and sold in your establishment.

RANGE: I wonder who they suspect.

WALCOTT: They know you’re clean and I’m above reproach.

RANGE: What’s the man’s name?

WALCOTT: His name is Edwin Saunders…A no talent writer…a bumbling fool…with a third grade vocabulary.

RANGE: Just the kind of man a woman would fall for.

WALCOTT: Sooner or later he’ll come to Range’s Café Americain as everyone does.
Range for your sake…do not try to help him.

RANGE: Help them you mean…

WALCOTT: It’s vital that Edwin Saunders remains in this time.

RANGE: Saunders…

WALCOTT: You know him?

RANGE: I’ve heard of him. He’s the one that spread the word of the existence of an up line.

WALCOTT: So, you understand why it’s so important to keep him from ever going up line.

RANGE: But, why come to me?

WALCOTT: Even with your proclaimed cynical reasoning I know within you there beats a romantic heart.

RANGE: Who gave you the idea that I’m the sentimental type?

WALCOTT: Range…you have always fought for the underdog. Undoubtedly, you are a sentimentalist…take Brittany for example. Even when they turned on you, you continued to help them so they might survive.

RANGE: Brittany…you would have to bring up Brittany. Listen…there are certain memories that a man tries to forget…especially when those memories are connected to a dame.

n31646.jpg

Last edited:
another range story!
good luck , though you already survived the bloody start :) and at least one christian agression :D

another range story!
good luck , though you already survived the bloody start :) and at least one christian agression :D

Thank you.

It only just begun and already everybody is after Tangiers.

And, I thought Scotland and Leinster were in bad positions.

Yes I have.

But, I'm slow to change...

It's alright, there's others of us out there that haven't gotten it either.:p

Anyway, interesting story. I know I'm late, but I'll be following. Good luck.:)

It's alright, there's others of us out there that haven't gotten it either.:p

Anyway, interesting story. I know I'm late, but I'll be following. Good luck.:)

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who hasn't upgraded.

By the way it's never too late to follow the story.

Thank you.