• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Range

General
12 Badges
May 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
BAVARIA

14xdncg.jpg

THE WITTELSBACH FAMILY CREST

BAVARIA

Chapter 1

Long Island, New York – The Facility – 1994

Range, age sixteen, is about to depart for his initial journey back in time.

WALCOTT: Now, you understand Range this is only a test. As soon as we have gathered enough data on the portal’s run we will be bringing you back up line.

RILEY: Of course, I’ll be monitoring your progress and in the event of any danger I’ll be pulling you back in a second notice.

WALCOTT: (nervous) Are you ready?

BAVARIA

King Ernst I is the leader of Bavaria.

There is a dream to form the country of Germany, but someone special is needed to make this dream reality.

There were two advisor hired right from the start; one to enhance the stability of the kingdom, and one for Production (both were 4 stars)

On the 15th of October, 1399, Hungary approached Bavaria for an alliance. The request was of course accepted by Bavaria. A month later a marriage union was agreed upon between the two nations to cement their relationship.

King Ernst wanted a strong military from the start. Thus, more funds would be directed toward land forces over the crazy idea of Bavaria ever having a navy. Also, two regiments of Latin Knights began training.

By March 1400, Bavaria’s stability had reached its fullest height. The Stability advisor was let go and replaced by a land advisor. It army now stood at 8 regiments (three of which were cavalry

At this time, while all this was going on Range had just fought the British in Ireland, and then was a part of a Irish contingent that arrived in Scotland to lend a hand to fight the English there.

And the adventures of Range continue! :D

I've been reading through Poland (alas very slowly) for a while now and hugely enjoying it. Thus it is great to be able to follow this part of Range's adventures from the start!

And the adventures of Range continue! :D

May everyone enjoy them always, as much as I do writing them.

Fighting the British with in an Irish Contingent. Awesome!

Hopefully, it gets better.

I've been reading through Poland (alas very slowly) for a while now and hugely enjoying it. Thus it is great to be able to follow this part of Range's adventures from the start!

I had been wanting to do this for a while.

BAVARIA

14xdncg.jpg

Chapter 2

June 1401

King Ernst I found his country in a very uneasy position. Although he had an alliance with Hungary, even if he could trust them, there was still Austria and Bohemia to contend to the west.

He toyed with the idea of pursuing an alliance with Poland. Then, he thought alliances with both Hungary and Poland although safer, would only draw Bavaria into constant wars…wars that would avail his kingdom nothing.

LONG ISLAND TIME FACILITY - 1984

The Time facility had lost all contact with Range. Even though Range had only traveled back in time to 1399 a few moments before Walcott and Riley were getting worried.

Then, quite by accident they located our young hero.

WALCOTT: Maybe we’ve going about this all wrong. Change the date, and the year…see if we can’t catch him in some other month or year later than when we transported him.

RILEY: I’ve found him…in June 1401!

WALCOTT: Yeah…but, where he is…that’s not Ireland?

RILEY: (Beat) It’s Scotland…

WALCOTT: Well, how in heaven’s name did he get there?

RILEY: I suppose he took a boat…

WALCOTT: Well, you don’t think he swam from Ireland do you? Of course he took a boat. Get him back here!

RILEY: (Beat) I can’t…the portal is locked. All we can do is watch.

SCOTLAND – June 1401

Range had in fact taken a boat ride with an Irish contingent to help drive the English from Scottish soil. It had been very seasonally dry and hot thus far for the year. To their further displeasure the weather was as detested as the greeting they received from some of the Scottish clans… the Scottish called the Irish visit an intrusion on their clan lands.

Being ones that did not want to stay where we were not wanted, the Irish quickly began to make plans to return home to Ireland. Shortly after the time they decided to return home, the Scots and the English held a battle that the Irish were not invited to attend.

The Scots, greatly outnumbered, were thrown back in utter in defeat. However, the English for some dumb reason decided not to press the attack to finish the Scots. Instead, their general paused to regroup his army and discuss strategies for the next day’s battle.

Right before dusk an suspecting rider was seen moving up to the Irish position. Range climbed a tree by the roadside and waited for the rider to move beneath the limb that he was to perch on. As the rider passed beneath him Range dropped down upon him, knocking him from his horse. Range scrambled to my feet much quicker then the rider.

He was a Mercenary courier, given special charge of some response or compliance to an order given to the Mercenary general.

RANGE: I would suggest that you give up.

Range pressed the tip of his sword pressed against the courier’s throat.

RANGE: (cont) What’s your business?

Range then noticed the pouch hanging down from around te courier’s neck. By this time many of the men with Range had surrounded their guest. The pouch was soon grabbed roughly from about his neck by one of the men. .

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: What do we have here, Range?

RANGE: I don’t know…he’s either a spy or a mercenary for the English.

The pouch was brought directly to O’Rourke who wasted little time before reading the dispatch. As he read, he gave orders,

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: Robert tie our guest to a tree off the side of the road and gag him.

RANGE: What is it?

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: Well, Range…it would appear that it’s from some English General to the general of the Mercenary. It reads, “From the honorable General Schmidt…to the general Turner of the English in Scotland…at sunrise we will advance with all hast through the gap marked on the map…and catch the Scots as they retreat from your frontal assault.”

COURIER: My father will hang all you Irish,” said their prisoner, defiantly.

RANGE: Quite defiantly isn’t he?

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: He reminds me of you Range. (to courier) And, just who is your father, boy?

COURIER: General Schmidt.

RANGE: Then why are you not in an English uniform?

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: Mercenaries make more money than regular army Range…(to courier) Isn’t that right boy?

COURIER: I’m not a child…

RANGE: One thing is for sure…you’re not a soldier.

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: Range…didn’t I tell you it’s not nice to taunt our prisoners. (to a soldier) Robert, take him and do as I say immediately…we have to hurry to join the Scots.

RANGE: May I see the communiqué?

O’Rourke handed the communiqué to Range without a second thought. Range immediately began to read further.

McGREGOR: Were going to help them, when they want no help from us?

Having soon read further into the communiqué than O’Rourke, Range called out to him.

RANGE: Michael…might I suggest something?

McGREGOR: (Michael) Are you going to listen to mere lad?”

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: So, far he has not done wrong by us…do you recall the tight spot he got us out of in Ireland…he has special knack…a discernment beyond his age and this gift cannot be taught.”

McGregor agreed nodding yes, as if wondering about Range.

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: (amused) All right Range what do you see that I have missed?”

“You are right we do have to come to the aid of the Scots, but not in the normal way. If we were to join the Scots we’d only find ourselves in the same predicament that the English plan for the Scots.” Showing Michael the map I explained. “WE have to stop the Mercenaries at the pass.”

“Boy…they outnumber us more two to one.”

“I know but, we can cut them down…as the English are about to make two mistakes.”

Michael looked at McGregor.

McGREGOR: (mumbled) If he right about this one he’ll be hard to live with.

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: You might be right…but, I’ll listen and consider what he has to say.

RANGE: The Mercenaries are dividing their forces…a portion of them with move ahead through the pass to engage in battle, leaving the rest to protect the supplies…supplies for the entire English army as well as the Mercenaries.

McGregor: We’re in for it now…we’ll never hear the end of it.

By the next morning’s light, we were in position. The Scots had been warned by the Irish of the British plan and the battle was about to begin.

The Irish were in position as well, broken into various groups. There were some on both ridges of the narrow pass. Some lay in wait off to the side, hidden behind some thicket just beyond the grassy path. From there was a field of tall dried grass that stretched sixty yards into the pass.

Range, along with a few others watched from behind the thickets, not making a sound, as the Mercenaries marched past them. And, as the lead element soon moved into the pass all hell broke loose. From above the ridge tied burning bundles of brush rained down to set the dry grass on fire. Horses were then sent scurrying through the pass dragging burning tied brush setting more of grass on fire until the entire field was in flames. The screams of the enemy in torment echoed from the pass. Some tried to run for opening of the far end of the pass only to find the pass blocked and guarded by Irish troops.

The Mercenaries outside the burning hell were stricken with disbelief…as they heard their comrades crying out in pain. Some the soldiers threw themselves from the flames, their friends hurried to assist them. That’s when Range’s detachment sprung out from behind the thickets “Erin Go Bragh!”

The Mercenaries didn’t have a chance. The Irish cut down every one of them before they knew what was happening.

Toward the end of the battle, a dispatch rider from the rear rode up to General Schmidt.

SCOUT: General, the Irish are attacking our stores…destroying everything.

The General Schmidt, furious, noticed Range standing in the open staring at him. Upon his horse the General charged at Range…his sword raised ready to cut our hero down.

Range allowed the General to draw almost on top of him, before he dropped to the ground a speared the General’s horse sending the General head over heels onto the ground. The spear was broken…but, it didn’t matter the General was dead.

Michael was furious with Range as he rushed to his side.

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: What sort of silly move was that? Didn’t you know that horse was about to run you over and that General wanted to run you through?

O’Rourke then became silent as he stared into Range’s eyes. As he stared into Range’s eyes he could find no hint of fear or realization of the danger he just came face to face with.

CAPTAIN MICHAEL O’ROURKE: Someone once told me…after the training is through you must allow you instinct to rule your action in battle…anything else could get you killed through indecisiveness.

As for the young Mister Schmidt, who had been left tied to a tree, when the Irish returned for him the young man had vanished.

BACK IN THE LONG ISLAND FACILITY – 1994

Walcott and Riley sighed with relief.

RILEY: Riley…I don’t know what you have to do…but, get that boy home and in one piece.

Last edited:
BAVARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...wait Range is in Scotland trooping around in the heather? What about BAVARIAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

oh, maybe he takes a boat:rofl:

Well, he can't fly there. I guess I better work on getting him to Bavaria...huh? I know just how to do it.

Conquer England for Bavaria. :D

A bigger boat:rofl:

Something bigger than the S.S. Minnow?

Conquer England for Bavaria. :D

That's interesting...maybe I can write/pose that thought in the next chapter...not that it's going to happen...a lot would have to happen for England to be pushed out by the Scots, the Irish...m-m-m-m and revolts. Nah...it can't happen. But, Range could say it's possible.

Range will take a boat from scotland, to the mouth of the rhine, sail down, sail into the main river and end up in Bavaria!

RANGE: Well, thank you Morrell8...do have a map handy?

Poland

BAVARIA

14xdncg.jpg

Chapter 3

The court of KING ERNST I

KING ERNST I: My son what is the state or our economy?

HAROLD: Stagnant…we have stretched our resources to their limits…our kingdom might benefit from our cutting back our forces.

KING ERNST I: We have enemies…this is not the time left down our defenses.

HAROLD: Poland is persistent in their attempts to make an alliance with us…

KING ERNST: We will wait on deciding on that alliance.

SCOTLAND

Shortly after the battle at the pass, Angus MacDonald a man in his sixties, but still active in battle, the leader of the MacDonald clan took an interest in Range. At a dinner, Angus confronted Range from the across the table.

ANGUS: Tell me Range…Are you as good with the sword as you are with a spear?

RANGE: I can’t say…I’ve never held a sword.

ANGUS: Well, don’t you think it’s about time you find out? (pause) Get up…

RANGE: What?

ANGUS: Did the ding of battle damage your hearing? I said get up! (to attendant) Two swords…one for me and one for this boy…

RANGE: I’m no boy!

ANGUS: We’ll see about that…(to everyone) Clear the way!

The attendants hurried to clear an area, as Angus and Range readied.

ANGUS: Now, we start with our swords drawn…but, in future training…if I see any talent in you we will practice the art of quick draw important for a great surprise attack. Another point is to stay relaxed…it’s understandable to tense up in combat…but, you must keep your muscles loose and regulate your breathing. If you are tight, you cannot react with speed which in most cases will be fatal. And, one more thing...disregard your opponent's taunts...never get mad.

Range loosened his grip on the sword.

ANGUS: I said relax your body…but, keep a firm hold on the sword! (pause) Now, balance your body…always keep feet shoulder wide and when you move, move so your legs spread apart…never have your feet close together. Keep hold of your sword so you can handle with ease.

Angus begins to move to his left which makes Range react.

ANGUS: Good feet work boy…smart, you follow me, but yet you stay in position boy. Aren’t you getting mad at me for calling you boy once again…boy?

RANGE: (calm) It gets me nowhere if I get mad…I must remain clam so I will tense up as you have already taught me.

ANGUS: Hah…are you ready for another pointer? (pause) Watch your opponent’s movements and learn when he moves in to attack and be prepared counter…BE QUICK!”

Angus attacked and Range was able to counter, blocking the thrust. Angus, laughed with joy, before he moved swiftly and windened or dominated Range’s sword. With his left hand Angus then quickly drew his dirk and placed it under Range’s chin.

ANGUS: AH…I have you at a disadvantage…I have two swords and I go nowhere without them both. This and other points you will learn as long as you are with us…or, I’ll slice off your ears…

Range has never been one to turn down the kindness of others. He would remain to be fully trained in sword fighting by the master of the Scottish Highlands.

Last edited:
Is he going to conquer England by fencing? :D

Is he going to conquer England by fencing? :D

Fencing is an important part of Range's arsenal. With this being the start of Range I thought I had to show how he came to have such a talent.

The start not the middle...To Frankfurt am Main not Frankfurt an der Oder!

My German is not too good...but, I think there is an older and a newer (larger) Frankfurt...Oder...the River Oder...that's by the older Frankfurt sits, or sat.

Germany shall rise...10 particular provinces are needed with their cores. I hope Range picks the one in Brandenburg to take over.

Last edited:
The adventures of Range continue! :cool: