• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Range

General
12 Badges
May 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
My apologies to my friend, Volksmarchall, and his masterpiece EU4 ARR on the rise fall of the Roman Civilization. My ARR surely will pale in comparison.

BYZANTINE

Entry I

33pd3jc.jpg

“One day, I’ve got to change that flag,” he said from the throne. I’m the emperor, I can do what I please.”

Despite his wishes Range was not to be left alone in his retirement. An old friend had been kidnapped, if you can call Farly a kid, anymore.

2epmyky.jpg

Range

As Range moved toward the throne, and Farly who stood before in chains, he thought he caught a familiar pose from someone he knew. He stared at the figure that was the Emperor, moving up the stairs to his throne within the palace. Even so, there was something strangely familiar about the figure even with his back turned. Speaking of being strange, the emperor was wearing of all things a Roman toga.

24vqq0z.jpg

Farly

Farly lifted his hands to show them to Range, who stopped beside him. Then, leaning nearer to him, he whispered, “The man has gone mad.”

“No kidding,” said Range.

As the emperor took a seat upon his throne, Range recognized the man. It was Walcott, and he had gone mad.

a1kfes.jpg

Walcott

“Range, so glad that you could join us.”

“Louis, what’s this all about,” asked Range, “and, why are you sitting on the emperor’s throne?”

I need your help, Range,” he replied. “And, as for my sitting on the emperor’s throne...l am the emperor of New Constantinople.” He then, let loose with a loud diabolical laugh.

“Oh, brother,” said Range rolling his eyes in disbelief. “Now, what have we gotten ourselves in?”

“Louie has gone screwy,” Farly commented, as he looked at Range with his sad eyes.

Last edited:
BYZANTINE

33pd3jc.jpg

Entry II

14 October 1399

Walcott was in fact sick. He had traveled back in time, to escape the pain and his eventual death.

He almost didn't take the trip. His main time machine unit had been destroyed by the Regents, who wanted to stop journeys by Earth men. Somehow, they neglected to destroy the prototype, or as Range called it, the wayback machine.

“I don’t plan on going back,” he told Range.

“Do you have your token to go back?”

“I threw it away.”

“You what?” Range was beside himself. “By doing that you’ve destined yourself to relive this journey over and over.

“I don’t care,” he said. “My going back is a death sentence. Range…help me.”

“To do what…you know as well as I do, Byzantine is going down…maybe not today, or tomorrow, but it will be destroyed.”

“Think of it,” said Walcott, as he moved down from the throne, his eyes bulging as a mad man. “We’ll either become one of the greatest countries on Earth, or go down in a blaze of glory!”

“Well, you better keep your bags packed…we all better,” said Range, before pausing to rethink his position. “First, I have one provision…release Farly...and, stay ready to jump.”

2mx3889.jpg

“Range, I figure we begin by recovering Greece.”

“Ah, not a chance…right now you’ll need four provinces…Janina, Athens, Larissa, and Achaea, to accomplish that.”

“We’ll have to start small…wait for openings…maybe pick some crumbs along the way.”

“Dump the quest.”

“I’ll do no such thing, Range.”

“Well, it’s your quest.”

2j4sjs4.jpg

“We need money,” said Range. “WE’ll get our Stability up before we do anything”

24lk2si.jpg

“Our biggest threat is the Ottoman Empire. Thankfully we’re not on the menu right now.”

ve4q5h.jpg

“WE’ll concentrate on heading toward the possibility of Westernizing…the drive toward innovation will our first move.”

2el6z42.jpg

“We have to build strong relationships with strong countries.

2mnowac.jpg

“We should reach full stability by 3 March 1400. Then, we’ll go for Government (4) for the first national idea."

Last edited:
Definite sub - your Knights AAR was brilliant, I expect nothing less from this :)

Definite sub - your Knights AAR was brilliant, I expect nothing less from this :)
Thank you, my friend. I'll try hard not to let you down.

I'm sure you will get farther with Byzantium than I will, after all, I sort of handicapped myself to a "Fall" at some point in my AAR... :p

I'm sure you will get farther with Byzantium than I will, after all, I sort of handicapped myself to a "Fall" at some point in my AAR... :p

The Fall is pretty much built in when playing Byzantium. And, you're doing just fine, keeping the AAR going.

The Fall is pretty much built in when playing Byzantium. And, you're doing just fine, keeping the AAR going.

Only if you and all the readers knew where I actually was in-game vs. the slow pace of writing; now almost 100 pages of proper text for just about 30 years of gameplay! :p

Looking at EU3 vs EU4 is amazing how stark the difference is, well, I barely touched EU3 that much anyway! :glare:

It's been too long since I was subbed to some of your AARs. :)

My friend, I understand...you're a very busy man. Thanks, for dropping by. Hoping to hear more from you, as I enjoy your comments.

Only if you and all the readers knew where I actually was in-game vs. the slow pace of writing; now almost 100 pages of proper text for just about 30 years of gameplay! :p

Looking at EU3 vs EU4 is amazing how stark the difference is, well, I barely touched EU3 that much anyway! :glare:

Oh, I figured that. And, that's just right for what your accomplishing, my friend.

Yeah, there is a very big difference between games. I'll try to keep all three game ARRs going (along with this EU3, as you know I also have an EU1 and EU4 ARR going.) It's a wonder I can find time to play any of them. I hope to play this weekend...to continue the AARs.

Last edited:
BYZANTINE

33pd3jc.jpg

Entry III

33c7pdd.jpg

“Range, we must get as much tech advancement, whenever possible, no matter the cost,” said Walcott.

“Not in this case,” explained Range. “WE can’t afford to gain needless inflation…we’ll accrued enough when we go to war.”

2j4reio.jpg

Instead, the kingdom looked for ways to raise more money. Through the use gaining more cultural tradition, we might turn that tradition into money (raising advisors for sale).

34pm6i1.jpg

“We must do anything to gain powerful allies,” said Walcott.

“Except, making a deal with the devil (the Ottomans),” countered Range.

“Are we destined to never be of the same mind.”

wtcg0m.jpg

With stability at its maximum, the kingdom switches its drive toward gaining the first national idea.

11ihgk6.jpg

“Range, come quick,” Farly called out with urgency. “Walcott, is foaming at the mouth.”

“What?” Asked Range, before advising, “don’t let him bite you.”

2gv66bo.jpg

“You can’t say, Walcott has good timing.”

21c57gh.jpg

“Okay, we're back at three.”

Raising stability is still so cheap. The good things about being so tiny. :)

You're not fooling. Thankfully, at this point stability is cheap...so I can continue to survive day to day. Byzantine is so-o-o-o-o tiny...no friends...and, surrounded by enemies. I expect to be wiped out at any time...at least as the Knights I could be overlooked, but not as the Byzantine Empire. They stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:
I've always found the difference of surviving with the Byzantines are whether or not I get lucky and the Turks don't DoW me relatively early on when everyone knows what's going to happen after that dreaded war pop up hits your screen! :p

At least when you play as the Knights, even in EU4, as you showed in Eu3, the comforts of being on an island can be a great advantage.

... I expect to be wiped out at any time...

Which in some ways is good - it makes the end result like you got with the Knights all the more impressive and also makes it no disgrace if you do lose as it is all down to luck at the beginning :)

I've always found the difference of surviving with the Byzantines are whether or not I get lucky and the Turks don't DoW me relatively early on when everyone knows what's going to happen after that dreaded war pop up hits your screen! :p

At least when you play as the Knights, even in EU4, as you showed in Eu3, the comforts of being on an island can be a great advantage.

Being lucky is a strong strength in playing the smaller countries, especially in the beginning. But, that makes playing the knights, Byzantine, so much fun. As for being an island nation, there are advantages. However, there are also disadvantages as you must build a strong army and navy. If you build a larger island nation, then you have to spread your forces across your island nation.

Which in some ways is good - it makes the end result like you got with the Knights all the more impressive and also makes it no disgrace if you do lose as it is all down to luck at the beginning :)

That couldn't being more right...and, fun, scary...if I lose, so what. I'm expected to be creamed. But, if I succeed...wow...

Last edited:
Being lucky is a strong strength in playing the smaller countries, especially in the beginning. But, that makes playing the knights, Byzantine, so much fun. As for being an island nation, there are advantages. However, there are also disadvantages as you must build a strong army and navy. If you build a larger island nation, then you have to spread your forces across your island nation.

Just throw everything you have into one battle and hope for a win! :p

You will get even more "WOW" points if you break out because you started in 1399. That is so much harder than 1405. I am surprised you didn't try for Janina right off and even more surprised Naples hasn't annexed Janina yet. It's lousy turf I know but it is still a province you can grab infamy free. Never a bad thing. Good luck, I hope to learn a few new things on playing the Byz, one of my favorite countries. I keep falling into the same pattern of abusing the Holy War CB to over-run the West Med./Arabia/N. Africa and colonizing my way to China though the various hordes. Of course that is only if I survive the first decade or so, which I would love some new strategies on as I die a lot. :)

Just throw everything you have into one battle and hope for a win! :p

You forgot...to tell me to close my eyes.

You will get even more "WOW" points if you break out because you started in 1399. That is so much harder than 1405. I am surprised you didn't try for Janina right off and even more surprised Naples hasn't annexed Janina yet. It's lousy turf I know but it is still a province you can grab infamy free. Never a bad thing. Good luck, I hope to learn a few new things on playing the Byz, one of my favorite countries. I keep falling into the same pattern of abusing the Holy War CB to over-run the West Med./Arabia/N. Africa and colonizing my way to China though the various hordes. Of course that is only if I survive the first decade or so, which I would love some new strategies on as I die a lot. :)

The best I can say is that I hope the Ottoman Empire isn't paying too much attention to me. Once, they do, unless I get some powerful allies...it will be crush, pound and destroy. For this game, I'll have to play close to the vest until I see an opening...as it is now, everyone on one side seems to be allied to the Ottomans (I mean everyone) except the Mamluks, while everyone else is allied to either Naples, or Venice (with France). I've never seen anything like it. Something crazy is going to come out of this game (if I can survive).

I plan on westernizing...and, to go to the new world.

Last edited:
BYZANTINE

33pd3jc.jpg

Entry IV

It’s been over fifty years since the senate had been in session. It had been even longer since the office had been held by more than just dignitaries. But, Range still held hope that there was room for such a assembly to be reborn in Constantinople. This was the brain child of Abderus Petros, a warm hearted businessman.

First, he would have to silence the discord in the empire. And, he found himself at the root of the problem. He called a meeting in the old senate chambers of the wise men, physicians, businessmen, and certain nobles that were at times thought to fair minded individuals.

However, most attending had the frame of mind, let us refer to it as a dislike for Range. There was two factions in the land that formed sides over the issue of whether, or not he was a capable and decisive enough to command such a high position of military commander. Many felt it was time to go to war. To date Byzantium hadn’t gone to war.

In recent days there had been a rash number of incidents of failed and successful assassination attempts.

This day the many men that gathered had no idea why Range had asked to attend. Suddenly, there was an altercation in the street below. Someone had attacked Range, and those with him.

A few minutes later the doors were flung over, and in strolled Range. He stopped to stare into the faces of all the senators. He wanted to see which Of those in attendance were surprised to see him, even though everyone in the room knew he was coming.

14l6bf9.jpg

Lucas, Range, and Farly

Lucas and Farly were also with Range. Lucas tapped Range, to call attention to someone in the room.

Range, calmly told Lucas, “I know, I see it too...in his eyes.” A thin trickle of blood appeared on Range’s wrist, as he moved toward one man that he knew despised him.

“Mellis,” said Range, “are you surprised to see me.”

“Why, should I?” Mellis asked.

“I think you know why,” replied Range.

“You don’t scare me.”

1z5ror6.jpg

Lucas

Lucas then moved to stand between Range and Mellis. Lucas, a strong man, got right up close and personal with Mellis, face to face you might say. “I think you should leave, because it’s about to turn bad for you if you stay...very bad.

Mellis then turned and hurried from the room, never to be seen again...alive that is.

Range then addressed the rest of the senator’s in the room. “I just came from a meeting, with some associates and friends of some of you here.”

“Yeah, we had to deal with about twenty of some of your closest friends.”

“So true,” added Farly, before chuckling slightly. “But, don’t try to look them up, they’ve been dispatched.”

“The others with them that ran away are being rounded up.”

“You nobles,” said Range, “have been getting away with murder, you might say.

“You can say that, again,” mumbled Early

“Some of you have gone as far as to withhold some trade revenue and taxes,” Range told them. “It stops right here and now. For if we are to regain what is truly we have to come to understanding that our differences, and our greed must be stopped. Now, as for the reason for our little get together…I’m hoping to find the most honorable men in the land to serve as senators in a newly formed senate.”

Everyone in the room was abuzz as they debated what had just been put before them.

Range turned to him two friends, “Lucas your main duty is to keep Farly safe.”

Lucas turned to Farly, putting his large strong left arm about his friends’s shoulder, and said, “Think of me as your guardian angel.”

“And, just who is going to protect me from you,” said Fariy

“You’ll be as safe as if you were in your mother’s arms.”

“Mother didn’t resemble you in the least.”

Lucas laughed. He and Farly had been, and still were good friends for a very long time.

“First off,” replied Range, “for now, the nobles get nothing they want.”

“That can be costly...in stability.”

“WE can’t help it.”

“And, If they stand in our way?” Asked Lucas.

“Make no moves against no one, unless I give the nod.”

“As for going to war?” Asked Early.

“We’ll stay ready to take advantage of any openings,1’ said Range. “Our biggest hope that we’ll be ready when it comes. Until then, we build a great navy.”

“You’re hoping to catch the Ottoman horde on the other side of the straight, arent you?” asked Farly, knowingly.

“That’s the plan...until then, we look for openings.”

From outside, there came a cry that was heard throughout the former senate chamber. “Abderus Petros…is dead.”

Range looked at Lucas, recognizing the cold-stone gleam in his eye. A moment later, he gave the nod.

Lucas then left the senate chamber.

9rhibl.jpg

Galleys are fine for defense, but one carack might prove the difference.

11tapna.jpg

With our first national in hand, Morale, and move toward Innovative the nation and its military was heading in the right direction.

ofzyo7.jpg

To fill our coffers, we sacrificed some great minds, as well as a number of magistrates.

e5hf5v.jpg

May this continue…

2zi3kb6.jpg

With Venice already fighting Epirus, Range hoped to pick up something…even if its crumbs.

2d0dyrq.jpg

Well, Venice is gone.

11s37gy.jpg

With the good, there comes some bad. As for the bad, this was fourth lost of stability in the last ten years.

10qw4jk.jpg

This is the worse start I’ve had since Transylvania.