• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Range

General
12 Badges
May 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense

2w39gsp.jpg

Entry 1

9sfdk9.jpg

Siege of Rhodes 1522 (the future awaits)

Our tale begins in 1399.

The Knights had just evacuated the mainland, to set up their capital on the island of Rhodes. No one could have ever found themselves in a worse position. They were poor, with enemies all around them. Even the populace was of a different religion. But, there was no other refuge for them to go to.

None of the Knights knew when the end would come.

r0ql5i.jpg

Their position seemed so desperate. As they were isolated from the rest of the Christian world. Now, it was as if they waited for their fate to be delivered by the Ottomans.

During a routine patrol, the knights came upon a hermit that was frightening many of the farmers in a nearby village. They chase him for hours and finally apprehended him. In capturing him they meant him no harm and brought him to the grand marshal.

The Grand Marshall smiled in hearing how the hermit evaded capture for an hour. “What do you say for yourself hermit?”

“I don’t understand,” said the hermit. “I only wish to be left alone.”

“When was the last time you ate Hermit?” The Grand Marshall asked with concern.

“I can’t actually say. But, I did have some water this morning.”

“Man can undoubtedly survive longer without food than water. Even under the situation we find ourselves hermit there is always something that the Knights of St. John can share with those that are in need.”

“Knights of St. John,” the hermit thought out loud. “You can’t stay here,” he warned. “The Ottomans will siege the island.”

“And, when will that be Hermit?” asked the kindly Grand Marshall.

The hermit suddenly, grabbed his head as if he was in pain. “I can’t say…the pain…and, everything is spinning within my mind.”

“Maybe we should move our capital to Malta?” Asked a knight, making light of the hermit’s state.

“NO…no,” replied the hermit. “You must sail to the land s to the far west.”

The grand Marshall then sat forward in his chair, knowingly. “One might think you speak of a new world to the west? Take our friend the hermit and feed him and bed him down for the night.” He then turned his captain to add in secret, “keep a close eye on our new friend the hermit, clean him up and we’re see what we have. And, learn his name.”

2pt9ydz.jpg

The hermit was heard to exclaim,” I would have chosen Free Trade.”

5n6sqp.jpg

After the battle the Grand Marshall was beside himself. “What was he doing on the battlefield?”

“It was a good thing he was. He was a wizard with the sword. He fought like a Wildman.”

“But, where did he get a sword?”

“I gave it to him,” replied the officer, sheepishly.

“Did you also bring him to the battlefield?”

The officer slowly, as if air was escaping from a balloon, replied, “Well, you did ask me to keep an eye on him.”

“Did you learn his name?”

“No…but, he replied strangely. He said, “What good are names if no one calls out to you, or, gives greetings when paths cross?”

On the 5th of September stability reached its maximum.

When Milan paid 11 ducats for a Grand captain from the St. John’s Knights, the hermit was heard to say "we can’t afford to hire any advisers. So, its better that he goes elsewhere and we profit from his going."

Last edited:
Loving It. I am enjoying greatly the whole not knowing your surroundings look that this has. Looking forward to more.

Thank you.
I hope to keep you entertained.

I once tried The Knights, but I'm not very good so it was short lived, I conquered a few random provinces and Ireland though! Good luck, I once read your Transylvania AAR, it was quite... different.

Right now, the Knights appear to be great fun. Thank you for the compliment. Transylvania started out slow, but it too was a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Range, we all know this is going to go horribly yet amazingly off topic and end up god knows where!

Maybe that's the fun in playing the under dog. Just think if I can survive to 1821? At least I'll have fun until the end.

And, as for going off topic. Yeah...it'll happen.

Last edited:
KNIGHTS OF ST. JOHN

2w39gsp.jpg

Entry 2

The hermit sat before what were actually meager morsels. Still, the Hermit was thankful for what ever he could get. “My, I’m not use to all this food. If I keep eating like this I’ll have to loosen up the rope about my waist.”

The knights about the hermit laughed.

One knight turned to the captain in jest. “He does understand, knight or not, he’ll share the same fate as all of us if the Ottomans attack?’

The hermit didn’t wait an instant before explaining in no uncertain terms the fate that might await them all. “The issue of the Ottomans attacking isn’t a matter of if they’ll attack, but when.” The hermit then looked about the at all the knights faces, and saw the look in their eyes that they knew the truth. “Right now, where we are on the narrow straits across the sea of Crete connects this island with Antalya. The Ottoman can attack us at anytime. The only thing that can stop them is a strong navy, which we don’t have…because we don’t have the funds.”

“And, how would we get funds?” Asked another knight.

“Trade…but, before we spend what little we have on merchants we have to be in a better position to succeed in the market.” The hermit then look about to make certain he wouldn’t ruffle anyone’s feathers before continuing. “Our research is wrong. We should be researching trade, not government. And, as the move toward Centralization, it was foolhardy, and led us to having to put down an uprising. Instead, we should have moved toward Free Trade…that would have helped us on our way in succeeding in trade.”

“What’s you’re name hermit?” asked the captain.

The hermit paused staring, as if in a daze. “My name…I can’t rightly say. I know I have one, but somehow it eludes me.

“Are you ill my friend, that you’ve forgotten your name?”

“No,” replied the hermit. “It comes down to this…a man is known by his friends, or by those that give good tidings in greeting him. Besides you calling me your friend, captain, I can’t recall the last person that referred to me as such, calling me friend.”

Have you no family, hermit?”

The hermit did not answer but just stared into the space in front of him, as if remembering.

eh5s8.jpg

One morning, the Grand Marshall gathered his generals for a council meeting. The main topic on the general’s mind was that they thought the army was unmanly.

The hermit was in the room serving those in the room. He immediately took offense in what they were saying. “Excuse me, but what were your knights to do? They fought to the end of day.”

“We should have remained till the break of dawn and continued the battle,” replied a general.

“What would that serve?” asked the Hermit. ”Besides…let me ask you which boat were you on when you came over to the island?” Shortly thereafter the hermit left the room in a huff.

28misgg.jpg

It was thought it was best for the Knights to spend what funds they could scrape together to get the populace of the island converted to Catholic. Due to this move the yearly income was lowered to zero.

o7rnz8.jpg

National Trade policy? (10% trade efficiency increase.)

e6ae7o.jpg

Technology was now slotted fully toward trade.

It's now 1411 -

Last edited:
I like the story. After the Knights conquer the New World, I take it they will return to conquer Jerusalem?

I like the story. After the Knights conquer the New World, I take it they will return to conquer Jerusalem?

That's pretty much the jest of it. First, of course is to survive long enough to get to the new world. Once, there...move the capital, and the Knights would then be safe from the Ottomans' attack. The question is, do the Knights fight the Portuguese and the Spanish for a good portion of the new world, or just go after the Ottomans?

And, thank you for liking the story.

I approve of this weird hermit of yours and can't wait to see what lies in his so pain-ravaged mind. Will eagerly await the next installment.

Thank you for your approval. That's appreciated. I look forward to having you drop by and leaving future comments.

Crusader America, sounds good to me, as you said its just a case of surviving long enough!

Yeah...the big hope is that the Ottomans are kept busy long enough until the Knights can creep away to build for a future invasion to reclaim the holy lands (like a coming storm).

I just watched an EU3 Multiplayer game where the person was The Knights. I can't wait to see where this goes!

I have a plan. But, there's no way of knowing how far I'll go.

Thanks for following along.

I have a plan. But, there's no way of knowing how far I'll go.
Hopefully to the Americas:cool: Or at least to two provinces.

But as you also state surviving the inevitable Ottoman attack has to be the highest priority... Although in one game I pretty sure I saw the Tunisians take out the Knights, or maybe it was Tripoli.
They kept Rhodes for quite a while too.
Anyways, good luck. Good to see a new AAR from a master.