• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ATBKING

Man Of The Highlands
14 Badges
Jul 17, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III

Being of Scottish blood( Literally, did my research in high school. my last name is the same as the last Great Kings of old), its only natural that i play as Scotland.

Ok the Rules:

Everything is on Normal
Land and Sea province Spread is on 50 years.
Inflation is on.
Colonist are 200, instead of 100 (Hate colonizing with a passion)
Paying to use Spies, Colonist and all other things.
NO CHEATING( By that i mean no ~ key)
The only time I will reload is if something important happens and I miss it. But it must be Important
Every 5-10 Chapters, I will take a moment to show whats happening around me in full detail.

The goals of this AAR:

1) ANNIHILATE THOSE DESPICABLE, DISHONORABLE SCUM ENGLAND FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH....... sorry, had a moment there.
2) Own all of Britannia...... DESTROY ENGLAAaaaaaaa um........sorry......
3) Own Scandinavia
4) Own Iberian Peninsula
5) Own the French Provinces
6) Convert to Protestant when the time arrives and be the Defender of the Faith.
7) Attempt to convert the World.
8) At least ATTEMPT to colonize Canada or something.... Idk
9) Contest the Empire
10) Conquer the Holy Lands

If there is anymore you'd Like to add, please do so. And before we begin, i'd like to thank everyone who is going to read. And one more thing, Cant start an AAR without your historic Quote.

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,
we shall never under any conditions submit to the
domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches
or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which
no good man will consent to lose but with his life....

THE DECLARATION OF ARBROATH, 1320

Beautiful right, yeah I know. OK, Lets go make William Wallace Proud!!!

Table Of Contents:

stuart_family_crest_postcard-p239707144839871260baanr_400.jpg

Part I: King Robert The Victorious (1399-1438)

Chapter I: Scottish By Birth, British By Law, A Highlander By The Grace Of God!!
Chapter II: The Struggle For Control Over Brittany
Chapter III: The Auld Alliance STRIKES!!!
Chapter IV: Auld Alliance Vs The HRE(King Roberts Legacy)

Part II: King James Of Grand Unity (1438-1455)

Chapter V: The Low Country Belongs To The Highlands

Part III: King James The Emperor (1455-1477)

Chapter VI: I AM THE EMPEROR

Part IV: King James The Pious (1477-1514

Chapter VII: The Alliance is Broken!!
Chapter VIII: Three Kingdoms, One Throne

Part V: King Charles With The Silver Tongue (1514-1539)

Chapter IX: Diplomatic Charm

Part VI: King James The Magnificent (1539-1608

Chapter X: Preparation For Greatness
Chapter XI: Emperor of Europe
Chapter XII: A Great Man

Part VII: King James The Trustless (1608-1628)

Chapter XIII: Trust No One.....

Part VIII: King James The Absolute (1628-1676)

Chapter XIV: Picking Up The Pieces
Chapter XV: Europe?? You Mean Scotland Right
Chapter XVI: Connection the Dots

Part IX: King Stuart The Glorious (1676-1700)

Chapter XVII: Turn Of The Century (Annexing Europe Part I)

Part IX: King James The Short (1700-1721)

Chapter XVIII: Skirmish Of The North (Annexing Europe Part II)

Part X: King James VIII (1721-17??)

Chapter XIX: Convert or Face Consequence

Finale

Last edited:
Haha, nice start.

Might I suggest you use a different colour though. Blue and red show up really badly against the background!

Looking forward to making the English pay!

Those are some ambitious goals, to say the least. Since I really enjoyed your Ryukyu AAR, I'm sure I'll love this one! :)

Might I suggest you use a different colour though. Blue and red show up really badly against the background!

I apologize. I use the Hearts of Iron Background so it comes up perfectly, I keep forgeting about the other ones. how about just green and orange??

Those are some ambitious goals, to say the least.

Since I really enjoyed your Ryukyu AAR, I'm sure I'll love this one!

1) GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!

2)Thank ya kindly

Scottish By Birth, British By Law, A Highlander By The Grace Of God!!

We are the Scots.

2012-09-05_00007.jpg

Traditional men of war, born in the Highlands. The highlands are the Northern portion of the "British Isle"......

Hmph. The only reason they call it that is because the English are bigger, 'stronger', and more prestigious then us. England has tried for over 5 centuries to take our lands and failed. We have always been on the defensive, but not for long. In our past wars, England only wanted to take our lands so they could be bigger and more prestigious. So they could flaunt at their own power. Why do we fight the English?? Its very Simple.

WE WISH TO ANNIHILATE THEM!!!!

Even their Anglo-Saxon Leaders couldnt take down our mighty fortress. But wars arent won by Defense. At some point in time you must attack. and attack we shall. first, let us assess our nation to see what we are capable of....

2012-09-05_00009.jpg

An army that can boast 7000 men? Thats perfect. We may not be able to stop the English, but we can destroy any other army around us...

2012-09-05_00010.jpg

Our Government could use some work.

2012-09-05_00011.jpg

We Have one General that will serve his nation proudly!!

2012-09-05_00013.jpg

This is what our Council of Nobles suggest we do to help take down the English. Both France and I have a deep hatred for England. I personally dont want the help of a Frank. In terms with the Other nations, We need to keep our eyes on Scandinavia. They are among the same strength as us and would make great rivals indeed. Other than them, we are a pretty neutral nation. France Guarantees our freedoms from the English. They feel that we could not protect ourselves. Thats fine, we will show them. But not now. We need them to help us fight England. I sent them a gift to help improve our relations.

2012-09-05_00014.jpg

Nearly Bankrupted me.
Leinster asked me for a Royal Marriage. I agreed. I thought that would be a good idea for France as well, so I did the same to them.

2012-09-05_00015.jpg

Then, I accepted a Royal Marriage with Tyrone.

2012-09-05_00016.jpg

And to finish off my relationship streak with France, I asked them for an Alliance. They Accepted.

2012-09-05_00017.jpg

Once that was out of the way, there was nothing to do but wait for England to make their move. Afterwards, the council thought it was about time to Reclaim Orkney. It used to belong to us, but those bastards in Norway came in and took it for themselves during one of our previous wars with England. It was high time we took it back and kicked Norway back to Scandinavia. To help with the coming war, my first policy change would be to improve the Quality of our troops.

2012-09-05_00018.jpg

The Nobles didnt like the Idea. Those idiots took this move as a chance for me to use military force to 'silence' them if they get out of line. But that wasnt the case for now.
A short time later, England's king began to show signs of being senile....

2012-09-05_00019.jpg

He put a large scale army, RIGHT ON THE DOORSTEP OF MY CAPITAL!! HAVE YOU GONE MAD?? Him showing off his power and laughing away saying, 'you cant stop me'. I can just picture him saying that.....
I immediately began making my own army. It may not be as grand as theirs but it is strong enough to destroy a nation or two. And to add a salt to the wound of a cut that had been open for centuries??

2012-09-05_00020.jpg

More Like you'll keep us safe till you're ready to conquer us yourself.

2012-09-05_00021.jpg

France then started a war with The Mamluks and Tripoli and asked me to Join. I agreed. Castille was also in the war, and they pulled there own weight. Forcing both Nations to cede defeat.

2012-09-05_00022.jpg

The Serfs werent to happy about the war. They started a large revolt. Wasnt Larger then our army, but it was still strong. There was only one battle and there forces were completely routed. The battle ended quickly...... as did our generals life.

2012-09-05_00023.jpg

Then our Nations treasurer told us of a money reform and that we needed to hire someone to reduce inflation. I went with the Reform but did not hire the Master of Mint...... Because he was English.......
From that failure, I wanted to to strengthen our forces Militarily. So I tried to seek more allies. The closest men to me were the Four Houses of Ireland. They all accepted.

2012-09-05_00025.jpg

Then I went toward the mainland to see if the nation of Brittany would like to form an Alliance. It came to my attention that Brittany also didnt have a suitable Heir, and upon death of the Monarch they would form a Personal Union........ With Aragon. If I could get Brittany as a Personal Union, then I would add strength to the campaign against England and add a foothold on the mainland. What i needed now was Prestige. and after claming the Throne, my prestige was in the Negative. I was now left with 3 options.

A) Pray for More Prestige and go into a succession war With Aragon.
B) Force the Personal Union. Brittany was allied with Burgundy and Denmark, adding around 55,000 men altogether when you add the three nations up, and thats not including Sweden and Norway.
C) Find a war to gain Prestige.

Aragon had a Prestige of 93 to my -15. there was no way for me to form a Personal Union with such Mediocre Prestige. I needed Prestige and I needed it soon, there was no telling when Brittany's Monarch would pass.... And what was the Fastest way to gain Prestige??

Winning a War. There were two wars that I could start. I could Reclaim Orkney, or I could declare war on Aragon itself. This was a choice that had to be rushed....

End Of Chapter I

Last edited:
Hmm, tough choice. On the one hand, if you attack Orkney then you will face the combined might of Norway and Denmark and any allies they may have, and yet Aragon is distant and may have equally-tough armies and allies.
Good luck choosing, and may the Cross of St. Andrew fly above the entire world!

Congrats on the first chapter!

The Struggle For Control Over Brittany

After careful consideration, I choose to attack Aragon. Being Allied with France, Aragon was right on there doorstep. Plus it would be a double advantage, I would gain prestige that they would lose, plus I could force them to revoke all treaties with Brittany. Now all that was left was to get in position for the war. I asked France for Military access.

2012-09-05_00028.jpg

Once in position, I declared war on them. They were allied with Hungary, held Navarra as vassals, and a Personal Union with Sicily.

2012-09-05_00032.jpg

It phased me not, I declared war. All my allies joined the war, but Hungary ran away scared.

2012-09-05_00034.jpg

I didnt even have to fight in a single battle. France and their allies did most of the battles. I wanted the war to end quickly for there was no telling when the King of Brittany would pass. So after doing just enough, I sent my demands... But something was wrong and I didnt figure it out until after the war was over......

2012-09-05_00036.jpg

Aragon had already lost its claims on Brittany somehow, so I had declared war for no reason except for the Prestige. It mattered not. But there was a problem. I still didnt get enough to get me out of the negative. I had to think of something quick. I went to employ a philosopher and at the the bottom of the page I noticed something.

2012-09-05_00037.jpg

Introducing your Heir gives you prestige!! I was now out of the negative and even had one more point then Brittany!!
Then I remembered that I liberated Sardinia from Aragon. I asked to join in a Royal Marriage.

2012-09-05_00039.jpg

Now back to Brittany, they still didnt want a Personal Union. At the Moment, if there King was to die then Burgundy would fully inherit them.... that wasnt something that we needed. I noticed that our relations weren't that good, so I sent them a gift.

2012-09-05_00040.jpg

I bought a philosopher to help with the prestige.

2012-09-05_00043.jpg

I sent another gift as well to be safe.

2012-09-05_00042.jpg

While this was going on, I wanted to try and Reclaim Orkney. But we ran into a problem.

2012-09-05_00044.jpg

Brittany had Allied themselves with Denmark.... If I were to declare war on them, my relations with them would considerably drop, ruining every chance I have at forming a Personal Union. There was now no plan on what to do. Damn, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW!!!

2012-09-05_00050.jpg

.........................Nevermind...............................

With all the money I spent on Brittany, the peasants became upset with how I treated another nation better then my own. So I abolished a tax(No Picture, But it gave them +1 to Free Subjects). Then there was an advancement in our Government. I choose to go with The Military Drill To better train our Soldiers.

2012-09-05_00051.jpg

I then entered a Royal Marriage with Provence.

2012-09-05_00052.jpg

With our new policy change, I put a +1 towards Quality.

2012-09-05_00053.jpg

Now that Brittany was under my control, that gave us a well needed Military Boost.

Auld Alliance
Scotland:7000
Tyrone:2000
Connaught:2000
Leinster:2000
Brittany:8000
Sardinia:2000
France:40,000
France's Vassels:15,000
Total:78,000

Scandinavian Union
Denmark:12000
Sweden:9000
Norway:9000
Wurttemberg:7000
Salzburg(ALLIED TO WURTTEMBERG):3000
Total:40,000

I think we might be ready for war.

End Of Chapter II

Last edited:
Nice work getting Brittany into a PU! Also, you should be able to claim Orkney from Norway despite their Swedish and Danish allies.

Hmph. The only reason they call it that is because the English are bigger, 'stronger', and more prestigious then us. England has tried for over 5 centuries to take our lands and failed. We have always been on the defensive, but not for long. In our past wars, England only wanted to take our lands so they could be bigger and more prestigious. So they could flaunt at their own power. Why do we fight the English?? Its very Simple.

I'm not sure what country you are from but 'British' isn't another name for English. Foreigners always think they are one and the same...

The Auld Alliance Strikes!!

The Stage was set for us to take on The Scandinavian Union. There was just one minor problem. I was no longer allied with Leinster. I sent them a gift as to try and reform this alliance.

2012-09-06_00001.jpg

They asked for a Royal Marriage. I agreed.

2012-09-06_00002.jpg

The middle class came to the court trying to address the fact that they were not aloud to have higher jobs in the government for not being of noble birth. They thought that if they worked hard enough, they could become Nobles...... Back to where you came from. Nobles are Nobles, Serfs Are Serfs. There is no switching sides in my Kingdom. (Aristocracy +1)

2012-09-06_00003.jpg

After that, we went back to forming an alliance with Leinster, But our diplomacy was cut short for something much more important....

2012-09-06_00004.jpg

War had erupted, and it was the war that we had been waiting for!!! France declared war and we were more then happy to join. Brittany also joined the conflict and helped by sending us money!!

2012-09-06_00005.jpg

2012-09-06_00006.jpg

2012-09-06_00007.jpg

Glory To The Highlands!! May St. Andrew bless us with victory!!

2012-09-06_00008.jpg

Our first of many Victories!! The Nobles were against this battle, but the people wanted this war. They were tired of living in fear of the English. They raised an army of there own that put our army to shame!!! 12,000 men strong willing to fight the English. Every able body man was doing there part, even in terms of our forts defenses.

2012-09-06_00009.jpg

Englands Largest force then stood before us at the Battle of Cumbria. This battle would shape the course of the war for Britannia!!

2012-09-06_00010.jpg

VICTORY!!! There was NO stopping us now. HIGHLANDERS CHARGE FORWARD TO VICTORY!!!!

2012-09-06_00011.jpg

Total Annihilation was there only choice. with there greatest army destroyed, the land was free for the taking!!
Englands allies didnt last long against France. Provence was the first to fall.

2012-09-06_00012.jpg

With that, I knew that the war was close to ending, so it was time for me to take what I could and sue for peace as fast as possible.

2012-09-06_00013.jpg

A Crusade was then called on the nation of Morocco.

2012-09-06_00014.jpg

Now that the war was over, took the time to access the situation. It turns out that England was still at war with France, but now they were also at war with Morocco and Denmark....... Denmark has 13,000 units, and 9,000 of that is ON the British Isles as we speak. This was an opportunity that I could not pass up. I declared war on the Scandinavian Union. I did not ask France to join the war, they needed all they could to take down England and Portugal.

2012-09-06_00015.jpg

Since Denmarks Main army was in England, Picking them apart was easy. The only nation we need watch out for was Sweden. A while into the war, France Sued for peace with England. They demanded that Wales be released as a Sovereign State and that they cede Gascogne and Lambourd. Morocco ended their war as well, demanding Gloucestershire. Last to sue for peace was Denmark.

2012-09-06_00016.jpg

That meant that it was time to end this war quickly, but Denmark would not surrender. I had taken control of Iceland ad Orkney, but they would not cede for peace. So I took my army and put it in their capital, when the other armies came to stop me, i pulled my fleet into the sea of Oresund, and they were trapped on the Island of Fyn. Nearly 15,000 troops were stuck on the island and all they could do is watch as my armies took the rest of their land. Due to my Superior military skill, we beat an alliance that was stronger then ours without the help of our most powerful nation!! The war was won. My conditions??

2012-09-06_00020.jpg

HAHAHA. Orkney and Iceland are now under MY control!! Victory For the Auld Alliance. 3 straight Victories. There was nothing that could bring us down. Back in Edinburgh, We celebrated to our Victory, but as we partied, there was an emissary from France. The new he bore shocked us. We were now right back at war...... and this would be our hardest war yet.....

2012-09-06_00021.jpg

End Of Chapter III

Last edited:
Great victory! Not entirely sure what you're going to do with Iceland, but hey...you got the Orkneys and defeated the English!

Auld Alliance Vs HRE

After defeating Denmark we were immediately thrust into war with The Holy Roman Empire.

2012-09-06_00022.jpg

With Barely time to move, we sent our troops to Normandy and they made there way to Anjou. We werent the first ones there, but we supplied necessary reinforcements to take the city.

2012-09-06_00023.jpg

Auld Alliance
France
Wales
Foix
Auvergne
Armanac
Berry
Orleans
Scotland
Brittany

Holy Roman Coalition
Savoy
Austria
Provence
Navarra
Lorraine
Avignon

Austria, being the current holder of strongest nation in Europe, was the only nation that gave us any cause for concern. Most of the Major battles were taking place in Southern France. If we wanted to win this war, we would have to push them back from there. From Anjou, I sent my 10,000 man army to Savoie. Navarra was the first nation to fall.

2012-09-06_00024.jpg

Right after that, Castille had the Pope Excommunicate Aragon.

2012-09-06_00026.jpg

Provence was next to be defeated.

2012-09-06_00027.jpg

When my army finally arrived in Savoie, we met Austria in a battle. We came out victorious. Foix and Berry already had Savoie under siege, so we went to the capital, Piedmont. By this time, Savoy's armies were broken and the only fighting nation was Austria. It did not matter, for the second that Piedmont fell, the war ended. We, The Auld Alliance, reigned victorious again.

2012-09-06_00029.jpg

Soon after the war ended, our philosopher passed away. We held a funeral in commemoration of his 15 years of service.

2012-09-06_00030.jpg

After the war, I had planned on attacking England again, but I found something more interesting. Englands King was without an Heir. I also found out, to my dismay, that Upon his death....... Austria, would take his throne in a Personal Union. This turn of events cannot come to pass!!! Austria was already the strongest nation in Europe. Next behind them is Burgundy. Both of these nations are in the Empire. After them, France is next in strength. From France, Castille. From Castille, To England. If this Union proceeds, it will spell doom for all of Europe. We quickly put up a facade to England that we desired peace and union in Britannia. Our first step, of course, was the Royal Marriage.

2012-09-06_00031.jpg

They accepted. I knew that there was no way for me to defeat Austria in a war of succession. If I wanted this union, I would have to Force it.

2012-09-06_00032.jpg

I had more prestige then Austria, so England was leaning towards me. But I only had one more point of prestige and Austria was gaining up fast!! During the Following Years, we became the Papal Controller.

2012-09-06_00033.jpg

Sometime during our wars, Castille had went to war with Morroco and taken Gloucestershire for themselves. England declared war on Castille to reclaim it. the war lasted about 3 to 4 years. They were winning the war, until Castille called its allies Aquileia and Sweden into the war. It ended soon afterwards with England only being able to reclaim Gloucestershire. In trying to strengthen England's and our relationship, we ran out of ducats. During this time, Austria's King passed away. The claims that they had on England were gone. Now All we had to do was keep them happy. But again, we ran out of money sending Gifts. Then some Middle class men came to the court with Ducats saying that they wanted to buy their way into Nobility. I accepted on the account that if the Union goes through, they will be given sufficient land(+1 Plutocracy).

2012-09-06_00036.jpg

Then we made an Advancement in Land Technology, Giving us better troops. We chose the Men at Arms. Just a little time after that, our hard work paid off.

2012-09-06_00038.jpg

We formed a personal union with England. And they Immediately sent a diplomatic insult. But they had no time to throw more insults, as our nation was engaged in war. It was now time to test their loyalty.

2012-09-06_00039.jpg

This wasnt that big of a war. It didnt take long, and I didnt even send any troops. Provence was the first to fall.

2012-09-06_00040.jpg

After that, it was Avignon.

2012-09-06_00041.jpg

And Finally, Savoy.

2012-09-06_00042.jpg

But there was no time to rest. The second that war ended, my ally Sardinia, was attacked by Milan. I jumped to the aid of my ally. And this was going to be our largest and grandest war yet!!(BUT SERIOUSLY!! LOOK AT THE SECOND AND THIRD BATTLE ON THIS PIC. BURGUNDY GOIN IN)

2012-09-06_00043.jpg

Auld Alliance
Scotland
Brittany
France
England
Sicily
Sardinia
Tuscany
Papal States
Aquileia
Achea
Armagnac
Berry
Orleans

2nd Holy Roman Coalition
Milan
Burgundy
Bavaria
Holland
Switzerland
Naples

I started out by sending all 10,000 of my troops to Holland. There, I split the army into 5000 each and took both Holland and Zeeland at the same time. I attacked from the North most point. I made another two units and brought them into Holland to help. France took on Burgundy by itself for the first part of the war, and it resulted in a stalemate with neither side giving up. Foix, Berry, Armagnac and England combined their forces and attacked Switzerland. England had split its army. On one front, they attacked Switzerland. On the other, they single handedly took on Milan. Brittany Sent their army to Naples, where Sicily, The Papal States, and Tuscany Fought. Bavaria and Aquileia both quit the war at the first chance that they got. Then Tuscany and the Papal States sued to Milan for White Peace. Holland was the first to fall, but they were a vassal of Burgundy. I immediately sent my troops to the provinces of Antwerpen and Ghent. We had to abandon the siege of Ghent for an army of Burgundy approached. It attacked me, and a battle of my 12,000 vs their 14,000 reigned victorious. Switzerland was the next to fall. after Switzerland it was Milan. but Milan was the leader of the Coalition, so I did not allow their surrender just yet. After Milan fell, it was Naples. From there, the only nation left was Burgundy. and they fell to the superior might of the Auld Alliance.

2012-09-06_00045.jpg

Our Surrender Conditions:
Naples would become a vassal of Scotland.
Switzerland annulled all its treaties.
Burgundy would release its vassal Holland and cede Antwerpen to Scotland.
Holland would become a vassal of Scotland.
Milan would annul all treaties with Burgundy, Athens, Bavaria and Ragusa. They must Also release Parma as a Sovereign State.
(Side/Note: one of them had to pay me almost 2 or three hundred ducats. it was Either Switzerland or Holland, I cant Remember)

This was a very Fruitful war. I gained three new allies in Parma, Holland and Naples. I gained a Center of Trade and got a money boost of almost 15 ducats a year. From Being just a Kingdom in the shadows, our King, Robert III, pulled us into the most powerful and feared Alliance in Europe. And this would be a legacy, that our King would proudly take to his grave.
Two Months after the war ended. Our Great King passed away. His accomplishments shall be remembered for being the start of great thing that has yet to come.

With him at the Helm, We gained the Land of Orkney, Iceland, and Antwerpen.
In our 5 wars, We never lost a single War.
We had gained control over Brittany, England, Naples And Holland.

His Legacy Shall Be Known As Robert The Victorious!!

His son James, would take his place on the Throne. But even in death, our King left us another present...

2012-09-06_00046.jpg

Rest in Peace, My Dear King. And May You and St. Andrew Look over our Future

End Of Chapter IV

Last edited: