• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Range

General
12 Badges
May 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
MUNSTER

29dh5b4.jpg
All right, I finally fell to Temptation. I purchased and downloaded EU4. And, I’m ready to begin.

In starting out, I know there are a few things that will to be tended to as I play and Write the “Munster” ARR.

1 – I’m currently playing two games – Poland (EU1) and Knights of St. John (DW)

2 – I haven’t the slightest idea what I’m doing.

However, I promise to write at least one post every one to two weeks, until I finish…or, until someone finishes me, which is more likely.

Because I have always had Range as my main character, allow me the opportunity to write a small introduction. With this being a start of an era so to speak, it is time to say farewell to a character I have used since my first ARR, and thus usher in a new era so to speak. Sort of, what is now old shall become young again.

INTRODUCTION
29y5cfk.jpg

My name is Louis Walcott. I run an experimental facility on the east end of Long Island, New York. As for our work it is very secretive, and is generously supported by private funds. Up to this morning, I feared that the project was about to be brought to an end.

You see, for four years our research to discover a method of time travel has been quite unsuccessful. Those fears I told you about of the facility being closed down…well, far be it for me to get ahead of myself.

Let me instead go back to last night. We were having a going away party for a very old employee and personal friend of mine that had decided to leave. The man, if I had to guess had to be in his nineties. I know him as Range. He’s been with me from the start of the project. Now, he was going away…under the circumstances we were facing one might think it was a bad omen.

288d2fl.jpg

The Older Range

In a quiet moment I asked Range way he was leaving. His reply, sadden me, considering his age, as much as it puzzled me. He said, “Maybe it’s time for me go home.” What followed next, threw me for a loop. “If they let me back,” he said, with a snicker. “I’ve been here for a good number of years. Now, with Alina gone, it’s time for the old to be new again.”

Later, when he was leaving, he said the strangest thing to me, “No matter what, perform one more test. It will work…I know it will. Oh, don’t be surprise if someone just doesn’t drop out of the clear blue sky. No matter where, or what you might be doing, be mindful and watchful. Who knows maybe he might be walking down some long roadway…be careful not to pass him by. He just might be your saving grace.” With that we said our goodbyes and Range turned to move for the exit, singing a song from the sixties. The song’s name “Today”.

The next morning I did pickup a hitchhiker. He had to be about fifteen, or sixteen. Oddly enough, he said his name was Range.

On to the ARR:

I’ll be playing tonight, so the first game post will be tomorrow. I hope everyone will like "Munster" and give comments. Hints and tips are especially welcome, as are kind words. Please, wish me luck. I can use all the luck I can get.

Last edited:
Subbed! Good to see you bought EU4. :)

Subbed! Good to see you bought EU4. :)

Good to see you. I'm about to start playing. Yeah...it was time for the older Range to move on. That doesn't mean he won't show up again further down the line.

Last edited:
My my my! How is it going Range? It must have been a very long, long, long, time since we last saw each other (you might have been following my Presidents AAR back in Vicky? or another AAR of mine perhaps, say maybe 3-4 years back?)! Funny that I'd drop by and pick up activity in the forums again and one of the first AARs I run into is by you!

Anyways, I thought I'd drop by and say hello! (It's been such a long time that when I noticed your name and Avatar, I had to take a quick u-turn to my old friend's list just to see if you were on it!)

Cheers!

My my my! How is it going Range? It must have been a very long, long, long, time since we last saw each other (you might have been following my Presidents AAR back in Vicky? or another AAR of mine perhaps, say maybe 3-4 years back?)! Funny that I'd drop by and pick up activity in the forums again and one of the first AARs I run into is by you!

Anyways, I thought I'd drop by and say hello! (It's been such a long time that when I noticed your name and Avatar, I had to take a quick u-turn to my old friend's list just to see if you were on it!)

Cheers!

So, glad to hear from you my friend. Cheers!

MUNSTER

11 November 1444

29dh5b4.jpg

Entry 1

t03vxd.jpg

In 1444, threats of war was on everyone’s mind. In Eastern Europe, the Ottoman Empire was gobbling up provinces.

mcylv4.jpg

Even on the Emerald Isle, the threat of war hung over everyone’s head. It was time for every country to make strong alliances.

In Munster, the kingdom was not in the best of hands. It’s king actually dragged progress along slowly, due to his poor leadership skills. Still, there was hope in the form of future heirs. And, one very important factor in favor to the king, and his heir was that they were 100 percent legitimate. That fact alone was vital for a healthy kingdom.

jrslyf.jpg

Hiring advisors was certainly out of the question. They were too expensive.

2lcllz8.jpg

Stability was also at Zero. To bring it up, in this period of time Munster needed upwards of 100 Administrative Power. Sadly, it would take a minimum of a year, if nothing drastic happened to gain just 1 measly point of stability.

2rnk7dy.jpg

A young Range

As for the young Range, even though he had traveled back in history to Ireland (Leinster) before; it was like he had never been there. He had been granted a fresh start. Of course, whether it was good or bad, no one knew his powers of persuasion. Still, having no friends, no family…no money, is sort of a set back.

Luckily, he found employment in an inn, outside Cork. The work was hard, and the day was long. His wages was room and board, just a step above bound slave. Still, Range didn’t mind it as he knew opportunities for moving up in rank was just around the corner in a curtained off room.

One night, the opportunity arose when a small group of Cork officials were meeting within the curtained off room. He made sure he took care of the men in the room, often standing just outside the curtain to listen to what they were discussing. When he knew he had the answer to one of their issues he would enter and ask if they needed anything. Of course, he needed to be careful. No one could know he was suggesting an answer to any issue.

15cm23m.jpg

“Well,” began one of the officials, “it seems to me we can either pursue an alliance with either Connaught, or Leinster.”

Range had already entered the room. His comment that followed, was sort of a matter of fact. However, it raised the interest of everyone in the room. “One of my sisters is married to a man from Galway of Connaught, and they live there now. Tales of woes.”

“Why is that?” Asked one man.

“The way she tells it, when people there find out where she’s from they turn hostile.” He paused for a moment, snapped his fingers, and said, “just like that.” He didn’t pause even a instant in continuing, “Now, my other sister who married a man from Dublin, Leinster, and moved there with him sings a different song.” Range then became silent as if he was finished.

“And?” Asked another, becoming impatient.

“Total Bliss…Everyone loves her there.”

ezlq11.jpg

At first light, the opinion of both Connaught and Leinster toward Munster was the same.

op94m1.jpg

However, if you click the button of Connaught in Diplomatic…you see a different picture. They were in fact expressing a hostile feeling toward Munster. And, as you can read; the only way to deal with a country hostile to you with you is to eliminate that country.

259vq1g.jpg

Munster would move to improve relations with Leinster in hopes of gaining an alliance.

Last edited:
You know, I had JUST finished looking through 'Knights of St. John' when I saw this. I was thinking: 'Well, at least Range is playing EU3 now. I wonder if he'll ever play the current game.'

Nice introduction. Good luck with the Connaught war!

Thank you, my friend. Yeah...wish me luck in surviving the entire journey.

Last edited:
MUNSTER

January – October 1445

29dh5b4.jpg

Entry 2

mcylv4.jpg

You might wonder, with all the places Range could appear…why would he choose Munster. Don’t get me wrong. Ireland is a great place, so enchanting, and timeless. But, Ireland in 1400’s isn’t a place where anyone is likely to remain on a long journey. She has too many enemies on the island itself, as the other kingdoms here want to make the Emerald Isle theirs. And, let’s not forget England. They’ll be breathing down everyone’s back on the island soon enough, believe me.

The truth be known, the reason for Range coming back to Ireland was the kingdom of Leinster. That’s where Range’s journeys began on his initial go round. So, you could almost say he was returning home.

He couldn’t have picked a worst situation, other than the Knights of St. John.

hvza4m.jpg

The sad fact is the country has no leaders. Just take a good at the screen above. There are four kingdoms trying to get an edge in the London trade node. The biggest difference between Munster and the other Irish kingdoms is that the other three kingdoms have sent their entire fleet on routes to protect their kingdom’s trade…giving them a bigger trade income.

“Why doesn’t Munster see that?” All too often, good solid reasoning loses out to pigheadedness, and tiny minds. Then again, miracles do happen, otherwise what would be the point of fairy tales.

123lgs6.jpg

“Now, you’re getting it.”

2uy1841.jpg

“Keep the ball rolling, guys.”

sbsp5h.jpg

Finally, Range has gotten someone in power to listen. Three Light Ships are now protecting the trade route to London. However, Range wants more. “You know, if we were to sink the cog, and build a fourth light ship we would increase our trade revenue?”

One official was completely lost in hearing Range’s logic. “If we were to do that how would we sail our army to a distant shore to fight our enemy?”

“What?” was all that Range could muster in response.

552i2s.jpg

“Now, that’s nice.”

Next post: How Range weaseled his way into good favor.

Last edited:
Just because this happened in a Gelre/Netherlands game I was playing...I hope the Protestant Reformation begins in Ireland! I think that would be totally ironic all things considered. I'm totally in favor of your logic, mostly because I do that all time with my navies in early games, more trade ships the better!

Just because this happened in a Gelre/Netherlands game I was playing...I hope the Protestant Reformation begins in Ireland! I think that would be totally ironic all things considered. I'm totally in favor of your logic, mostly because I do that all time with my navies in early games, more trade ships the better!

One thing I've learned from playing this game...anything can happen.
More ships the better...that is until the British come.

MUNSTER

DECEMBER 24, 1445

29dh5b4.jpg

Entry 3

How Range weaseled his way into good favor.

A little over a year had gone by since his arrival in time. Even though Range didn’t have a lot of opportunity to himself, what he was afforded he spent it outside if the weather was good. At times, he liked to play games outside. One day, while he was outside, the Royal coach rode up the road toward the inn. With a column of mounted soldiers in the front and back of the coach, the procession was moving slowly.

The coach soon pulled up not far from the inn’s front entrance. A coachman stepped down from the driver’s seat and moved to the side of the coach, to speak to the passenger. A moment later, he moved into the inn.

Soon, there was the sound of “Thud” coming from outside the coach not far away on a patch of grass. “Thud”. The sound echoed into the coach, once more.”

Two eyes soon slowly peered out over the edge of coach’s door to the green beyond.

Range is seen to take a firm stance, his feet spread somewhat apart. With two hands he slowly swings a wooden club back, before swinging the club forward striking a small rock which sends the rock a few feet away.

“What ever are you doing?” Asked the perplexed voice, from within the coach.

Range straightened up and stared at the coach and all the riders. Summoning the right words to explain, he went on to say, “I found this wooden tree branch, and I wondered what would happen if I were to hit that rock into that hole in the ground.”

“Well, by the look of it you’re not having much luck putting that rock into that hole.”

“Do you think you could do better?”

“Most certainly.” With that, the coach’s door swing open, and out stepped Tadhg O’Brien, age eleven, the heir to the throne of Munster.

The guards, quickly dismounted to move by his side. “Do you think this is wise, my Lord?”

It was as if Range knew the young heir would one day come to the inn. He smiled, as he bowed, holding the club out to the young future king that was moving nearer to him.

Tadhg took the club, asking, “What do I do?”

“Well see that hole, turn and place the side of the left shoe facing it…now, spread your feet slightly. Now, aim the club to strike the rock so that it will send the rock toward the hole.”

Tadhg took his swing and the club struck the rock with a “Crack” sending the rock straight for and into the hole.”

Range howled with glee. “You did it…a hole in one!”

With that Tadgh turned to Range, holding out the club for him to take. “Quit enjoyable. What do you call your game?”

“Golf…” Range then urged, “Oh, you can keep the club.”

“Golf?” asked Tadgh. “What kind of name for a game is that?”

“If you think that’s strange…I play another game…called football.”

“Footbal?”

“Well, the name of the game means something different to many people. But, here, you can call it soccer.”

The captain of the guards, suspicious of Range, then spoke up, “I think we should be going my prince.”

“I would like to hear more of this game soccer…and golf…I would like also to extend an invitation to you to come to the palace.” Tadgh then leaned forward, placing his hand beside his mouth to keep the guards from hearing as he whispered to Range. “But, I have to ask permission of my father, the king, before you can come over.”

“Of course,” Range whispered back.

The coachman had returned with morsels for Tadgh to eat. Soon, the young heir was back in the coach and the procession was on its way.

The young prince, waved goodbye, hoping they would meet again. “Goodbye!”

Range waved back. “Goodbye.”

21cxq4l.jpg

Stability was enhanced. The cost was 100 Administrative cost. With our king adding only one point per month to the base of 3...it's going to take a very long...log, long...long, long, long time to get to 2 (which cost 150 administrative points).

2je90qt.jpg

Not bad...trading is helping...0.21 ducats a month, overall.

Next Post: Well, shut my mouth.

Last edited:
MUNSTER

3 February - 4 May 1446

29dh5b4.jpg

Entry 4

Well, Shut my mouth.

Range was invited to the King John’s castle on King’s island, near the river Shannon, Limerick, Munster. That’s where he first met Robert MacAuliffe, a young officer, who was quite good with the sword…so skilled was he, the King gave him a special duty of tutoring the young prince the skill of sword fighting.

At the start of their acquaintance, MacAuliffe glared at Range with suspicion. In fact, he wouldn’t let Range out of his sight for more than an instant. He even had Range come to training hall where the private training took place.

It’s hard to explain the details of how Range got the chance to show his skills with the sword, but it’s safe to say…Range was getting under MacAuliffe skin, so to speak. Now, it wasn’t anything Range said. Instead, it was due to Range’s total disenchantment with MacAuliffe’s teaching skills.

MacAuliffe fenced with Range for a good five minutes, doing everything he could to disarm Range. But, he couldn’t. Finally, MacAuliffe stopped the match. “You’ve been well trained…by whom?”

“By some very personal friends of mine in Scotland. Good, God fearing people like yourself, that would give their shirt right off their back, or offer a wretch like me a place to stay when I no place to go…feed me and clothe me as long I was willing to work beside them…”

“And, become a part of their lives.”

“As long I shall lived if I wanted.”

MacAuliffe then spun around, saying, “My prince, I must curtail our training session today to attend a very important council.”

“That’s a shame,” said Range, “I guess we’ll see you later.”

“I wouldn’t think of letting you out of my site. You’re coming with me. But, so help me if you say one word, or make the slightest gesture of your disapproval of the proceedings, I’ll have your head. Understood?”

The council was chiefly a go over of what had been decided with the monumental diplomacy that landed the alliance with Leinster. What caused a stir within Range was the mention that because of the alliance, there would be no need to go to war against Connaught.

“Wait a minute,” said Range.

A silence fell over the room, as all eyes turned Range’s way.

“The only real reason I can see for the alliance in the first place was for two countries, us and Leinster to gang up on Connaught. If you don’t make a move against Connaught before the ink is dried on the alliance parchment, the king of Leinster is going to change his mind and join Connaught…

Moments later, Range found himself tossed into the dank hole of dungeon.

“Look at this way,” MacAuliffe’s voice echoed. “At least you still have your head…for now.”

From the moment Range was imprisoned, nothing went right for the kingdom of Munster.

zsu2l4.jpg

A revolt was taking place in Tyrone. Its significance would be explained in the next post.

a430cp.jpg

Nobles Privileges

6f6qdw.jpg

“If I was only there, I would tell you I told you so.”

“And, then be taken out and hung,” commented someone, not so far away.

“Yeah, right,” commented Range to himself. “Who’s there”

Next Post: I won’t say, I told you so…but I

Last edited:
Never give the nobles their privileges, they need to know who wields the true power of the state! Perhaps you will interfere with the rebels up in Tyrone then...

And if I may say so, only because it is my philosophy concerning trade and the navy, regardless of what nation I play as, "The navy pays for itself."

Never give the nobles their privileges, they need to know who wields the true power of the state! Perhaps you will interfere with the rebels up in Tyrone then...

And if I may say so, only because it is my philosophy concerning trade and the navy, regardless of what nation I play as, "The navy pays for itself."

You're right, my friend...nobles...should know their place. As for the rebels, it might not be wise to interact with them. Yet, the rebels showing up comes at very good time.

Instead, at this time I might go slow and easy for a while until I can explore and colonize the new world (while looking for better opportunities to take the entire island). Yeah...right...take it nice and easy, that is unless Range can convince the king to attack Connaught.

As it is, right now (everyone else on the island has a great big target on their back)...I'm not a target of the English, and I like that. I'll take Tyrone, and the rest, soon enough.

And, you're right in saying the navy pays for itself. That's especially true when you're living on an island.

Last edited:
MUNSTER

29dh5b4.jpg

Entry 5

When Range was escorted before the king by Robert MacAuliffe, he didn’t why he was summoned. However, when he saw the king pacing back and forth, he had a good guess.

“Well,” asked the king, stopping to stare at Range.

“I was going to ask you the same question,” said Range.

Robert nudge Range in the back. “So, much for being subtle,” he whispered to Range. “He is after all your king.”

“You’re right,” said Range, before bowing at the waist to the king. “My king…there is still time to plan on an attack on Connaught.”

“But,” said the king, “if declare on Connaught without a rightful cause out stability will plummet.”

“What better, I ask,” before stopping he felt Robert’s hand on his arm. Range the shook free before continuing. “…to have your kingdom’s stability to drop a couple of points, or to loose your kingdom?”

Silence fell in the throne room.

r1csg2.jpg

It was a good thing the rebels in Tyrone still around. Connaught was watching the developments in Tyrone with great interest, which completely took their small minds off Munster.

jfaxpz.jpg

With Range’s urging, Munster gave themselves a necessary edge. They build cavalry unit.

2u4uezd.jpg

Going to war, caused the nation to lose 2 stability points.

2uzqnpw.jpg

Our king wasn’t much of a ruler, or a general. The one thing he had going him was that he was the true king of Munster. He was sort of timid, and unsure as he led his army toward Connaught.

1zmgjfq.jpg

There were three battles in this war. Range’s cavalry unit turned the tide in the first battle. If they hadn’t arrived at the height of the battle…the day would have been lost.

felaud.jpg

The second battle was in a low lined field, with a ridge. Just as the infantry of both kingdom’s came together, Range’s cavalry outflanked the beleaguered army wiping them out to the man. Their king raced away back to his kingdom, and soon raised a thousand men to defend his kingdom. They fell with very little trouble and their king was captured.

2dw5gzp.jpg

The fort in Connaught fell on, 24 October 1447.

am8keg.jpg

The surrendering proceeding was a strange affair. It dragged on, and on for days. Almost all the nobles wanted Connaught as a province. Only Range wanted to take Connaught as a vassal. Range won out by uttering in very important terms, “If we take Connaught as a vassal, the chance of revolt is limited. We’ll get half their taxes and half of their allotment in troops. What’s more if England comes a calling and defeats us we can offer something other Munster.”

The king…didn’t have to think long to come up with his answer…especially after hearing Range’s logic.

2s025j6.jpg

So, Connaught became a vassal of Munster on 11 November, 1447.

Last edited:
Interesting...I would have annexed, but I am more of a 'conquer and then pillage til you collapse' kinda player. ;)

Interesting...I would have annexed, but I am more of a 'conquer and then pillage til you collapse' kinda player. ;)

There's nothing wrong with the 'conquer and then pillage til you collapse' method of play. It's got to be a lot of fun. Still, there's plenty of time for conquest.;)

I like how you decided against annexation, it spices up the game a bit, although I, like GreatUberGeek probably would've annexed especially concerning the fact you are a one province major! :closedeyes:

I like how you decided against annexation, it spices up the game a bit, although I, like GreatUberGeek probably would've annexed especially concerning the fact you are a one province major! :closedeyes:

Thanks for checking in, and commenting. A lot of possibilities now exist...I hope the game will shape up quite differently than most...more suspense to come.