• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Range

General
12 Badges
May 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Yemen – The Happy Arabia

I had just arrived back in my home on Long Island from my last journey “Range, Highland Chieftain”. I hadn’t even had the chance to change out of my kilt, or even remove my sword and Baby (my dirk). I thought I was alone. But, boy was I mistaken.

“Good afternoon, Range,” Said Tomlinson. "You really don't remember me, do you. No matter..."

“How did you get into my house…and, what did you call me?”

“Surprised that I called you Range…you shouldn’t be I’m quite familiar with all your travels…we all are.”

“You can leave the same way you arrived…I’ve taken my last journey.”

“Well…that’s where you’re wrong…you see, you left the door open and someone followed you…Lillith is here in your time.”

“You deal with her,” I snapped. “I’ve had enough.”

“We can’t, at least not yet…that’s why you need to take another little journey.”

“Oh, no…I know my rights…you can’t make me do anything against my will.”

106jwhv.jpg

I guess I was wrong…they can.

Yemen – The Happy Arabia

I was dropped right in middle of a desert. It would have been nice if someone would have told me where I was before leaving me stranded. As for those two boys I never did catch up to them, but they were nice enough to lead me to a nearby oasis.

Otherwise, it would have been a matter of what would happen first, me going mad or dying of thirst. As it was no sooner had I taken a drink out of a cool pool of water, I fell unconscious.

Last edited:
And so it starts, almost at the same time as my AAR.

Yemen...Yeah man! Looks good. Hoping for a thousand and one nights of tales. ^^

I like the name of the AAR btw. I'm happy too. :)

Happy Arabia

Happy Arabia (representing Latin Arabia felix) was the name previously used by geographers to describe the greater part of the Arabian Peninsula, though restricted by some to modern-day Yemen.
The southwestern corner of the peninsula, enjoying more rainfall, is much greener than the rest of the peninsula and has long enjoyed more productive fields.
The term "Happy Arabia" is a translation of the Latin "Arabia felix." It was only in later, classical Latin that felix meant "happy." Originally it meant "fertile or productive," and it was in this sense that the term was employed.
In 26 BC Aelius Gallus under Augustus's order led a military expedition to Arabia Felix which ended in the utter defeat of Roman troops.
Part of what lead to Arabia Felix's supposed wealth and importance to the Roman world was its near monopoly of the incense trade to what is now Jordan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Arabia

Last edited:
svqamx.jpg

Stability is the name of game. To obtain the maximum level the quickest way possible you have to sacrifice everything else to obtain it.

2mguvdk.jpg

We must guard our borders.

106jwhv.jpg

I awoke to the sounds of a small battle rising. Some thieves were attacking a poor shepherd boy that was minding some sheep. The shepherd boy was possibly one of the boys I followed to the oasis.

Jumping to my feet, I broke through the ranks of the villains to stand back to back with the boy. The frail lad fought like he was possessed, having only his staff to ward off his attackers.

Soon, I too, began to take on the aura of someone possessed. But, I was far more prepared for battle than my friend. Instead of a simple staff, I had a sword in my right hand and a dirk in my left.

I drove one thief back, but he then made a mistake of lunging at me as he swung a poor man’s sword. He came a little too close for his own good. I parried, then beat (trapping his blade with mine). That left my dirk an opening and I soon buried baby into his soft under belly and drove the blade upward into him. He fell just a newly cut tree. Shortly thereafter another villain fell to the ground.

Sounds of the women’s battle cry was then heard quickly approaching, “Ay-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi!” (pronounced A-le-le-le-le-le-le-le-le!) Their voices rang out.

The villains having had enough were not about to face what was coming their way. They ran.
At that moment, I had the misfortune to step back and bump into the lad. He must have thought I was one of the bad guys. He turned abruptly and promptly clocked me on the head rendering me unconscious.

Yes! Finally a update!

Part 3

106jwhv.jpg

My name is Oma (leader…). I’m the oldest of seven children of Rayhen (favored by God), my father. This evening he’s throwing a feast for the stranger who came to the rescue of his sheep this day. He’s hoping to strike a deal with this man, offering him a prize if he would stay and help defend his flocks for seven years.

My six sisters will dance for the stranger and then he will choose which of my sisters will be his prize. I was not invited as my duties are to watch over the sheep this night.

This afternoon, while the man recovered, I tended to him applying wet cloths upon his wound. When he stirred, and his opened his eyes, my mouth must have dropped open. I was staring into the bluest of eyes, as if I was staring into the clear sky. And, for the first time I felt my heart move. As he began to get he recognized me. Thinking he would be angry with me I run from the tent he was resting in.

He began to follow after me. Thankfully, one of my sisters came up to him and asked him to join my father in his tent.

In hearing me tell this…do not judge my father to be bad. This is a harsh land where we live and a man is often judged by the size of his family as well as the number in his flock. Thus far, of his children I’m the only one that is betrothed. He is becoming desperate.

As for me my future is already dictated. I’m doomed to enter into a loveless marriage to someone that loves another…

In my father’s tent, besides Range there were two other guests present…his best friend Cid (Lord) and his son Junaid (soldier, warrior).

“Range would you consider working for me for say seven years?” Rayhan asked.

“Seven years,” Range wondered. “A lot can happen in seven years…what would be my wages?”

“A portion of my flock, say a tenth…and a prize.”

Rayden friend, Cid was seated beside my father. “Maybe you should tell our young friend what his prize is?”

“He shall know soon enough, when gets to choose his prize.” Rayhan explained. “What do you say Range?”

“Sure…it’s a deal,” said Range extending his hand to Rayhan.

Rayhan was overjoyed. He took Range’s hand within both of his and made Range pledge, “Bargain?”

“Bargain,” replied Range with a wide smile.

Rayhan then clapped his hands, to summon his daughters. “My daughters shall dance for you.”

My six sisters began to belly dance for Range. Their names oldest to the youngest were:

Faatinah (Alluring, enchanting and charming)
A’ishah (Lively)
Na’ilah (Acquirer, obtainer, one who succeeds)
A’yab (with large eyes)
Saba (morning)
Sa’diah (luck, good fortune)

Poor Junaid, his eyes never strayed from Faatinah or her eyes from him. They were in love, but fate had chosen another path for them.

When the dance was over, my father asked Range to choose the prize of his seven daughters…to become his wife.

Range was beside himself…he had no idea prize was to choose one of my father’s daughters as a wife. He thought fast. “Now wait a minute Hayhan…I know a deal is a deal, but are you holding out on me. I only see six of your daughters...where’s the seventh?”

It was Cid that spoke up to explain,” I’m afraid Oma (leader, giver of life, commanding) is spoken for…my son Junaid will one day be her husband.

Range stared at Junaid and saw that he was deeply saddened in hearing his father’s words.

“In that,” Hayhan went on to say, “the second oldest should marry second I hereby betrothed you my daughter Faatinah.

Junaid closed his eyes in utter anguish.

106jwhv.jpg

Part 4 - (Tale Number 1)

There is a tale that tells of deception in order that love could prevail.

It’s about four young lovers that were decreed to marry the wrong partner by two fathers’ right to bargain.

Two were sisters, Oma and Faatinah, daughters of Rayhan. The young woman’s intended, were young warriors…Junaid, son of Cid, and the handsome young stranger from some far off land.

Woe to the poor lovers, they dare not openly go against their fathers wishes.

Poor Oma, from the very moment her eyes met the young stranger’s eyes her heart had been stolen. Poor Faatinah, since she was a child her heart swoon over the thought of Junaid, as did his heart for her.

With the passing of the year, Oma fell more deeply in love with the handsome young stranger than she ever thought possible and he with her. The poor girl was torn between her father’s decree and the wishes of her heart. The stranger had struck a bargain, even though it was his master who had chosen which of the daughters he would marry.

Prior to the great day that the stranger was to marry Faatinah and Junaid was to marry Oma, there were three days of celebration of food, drink and merriment…that lasted from each morning through each night. During this time, neither Faatinah nor Oma touched strong drink.

The night before the wedding, Rayhan and Cid met in a tent to discuss the next day’s festivities.

“I’m afraid we made a mistake my friend,” said Cid. “Junaid is deeply in love with Faatinah.”

Rayhan thought to deny his feelings on the matter, but in the end he added, “And, Faatinah is deeply in love with your son Junaid.”

“What can we do?”

“What is there for us to do?” Rayhan asked before answering his own question. “We made a bargain…foolish as it might seem now, our word is our bond. We must leave this mess in Ala’s hands.”

The next day, the grooms and the brides met for the marriage ceremony. The guests were blurry eyed. The grooms could barely stand. As for the brides, they stood beside their future husbands with veils coving their faces.

The next morning all the wedding guests awoke to some confusion. The night before, it was well known that the young stranger retired to his tent with his bride and Junaid retired to his tent with his new bride.

Even though the two wedding tents of the newly weds had been placed a few feet apart there had been no mistake. Each rightful groom and his bride went to their proper tent. But, something was amiss.

With the new day’s sun already poised high in the sky, the handsome young stranger stepped out of his tent with his new bride Oma.

As for Junaid, he soon awoke to a pleasant surprise.

2vlobwz.jpg

No one was aware that Oma and Faatinah had switched places for the ceremony…as they were wearing the others wedding dress. Even the grooms were unaware of the switch due to the strong drink they had drank the night before, and the previous days and nights.

As for the fathers…when they understood what had taken place…they simply said Ala knew of their plans and did nothing to stop the play. "So, it must be God’s will,” they decreed to all the guests.

The years quickly flew by:

There were wars…

2le4c9g.jpg

And victories…

334nedg.jpg

And, conversions to avoid wars

wmav7n.jpg

And, then there are some wars that can be quite profitable

s5cnqd.jpg

Last edited:
Yemen – The Happy Arabia

28vwv2f.jpg

Part 5 (Tale Number 2)

Range was not like any normal man. He was a man touched by magic ... a man that could
not age until it was his time to age. Because of this, he was being tormented.

He loved Oma and could not bare the thought of seeing her age before his eyes ... he knew she would eventually die while he remained young. But, no one truly knows the year, the month, the day ... the hour of their death…

From the moment he first heard the wail of his new baby boy Range became inconsolable.

Oma was quite aware of her husband's anguish. Although she did not know the cause of his pain, she too longed to end her misery.

In their quest for peace, Range and Oma journeyed to a city to the west. In a small shop in a seldom-traveled street within the city laid the answer.

Oma's love stepped into the shop, not knowing what to ask for... or even knowing if there were an answer to be found there.

“May I help you?” The wise shop keeper asked."

Range just shook his head no.

The shop keeper was well known far and wide as being a persistent fellow. "One, does not know ... if one does not ask ... you see my shop has many wonders ... you have but to ask for what you are looking for…"

"I don't think you can help me." Range then turned to leave, but stopped when he hear the strange little shopkeeper's words.

"You are a traveler... a man from a distant land ..." The shopkeeper then drew nearer to
Range, and stared into his eyes and wondered. "You are not like the many who I have come into my store…1 see wonders in your eyes that are yet to be."

"If I wanted my palm read ... I would have…”

The shopkeeper then silenced Range. "Sh-h-h-h-h ...I can help." He then turned to a dusty
shelf and removed a bottle. "If but a drop of this elixir...touches your tongue you will age as normally as any normal man can."

"What…poison?

"No. it is not poison ... but, the answer you seek."

“How much?”

The two haggled over the price, until the shop keeper grew tired of the game. Afterall, the shopkeeper, like all Yemenis, was a warrior first and foremost…a shopkeeper far second. In this case, the shopkeeper felt he was being wronged. “If you do not want the potion for my price…I have but only to return the bottle to its rightful place on my shelf...no harm done…but if you continue this haggling I can only judge that you wish to rob me.”

Range wanted the potion and paid the amount the shopkeepers asked for. He drank the contents of the bottle. And, as he left the shop, he tossed the empty bottle to the shopkeeper. "Keep this for a refill."

On their journey back to their camp, Range found the same bottle he gave back to the shopkeeper. He turned to his love and asked, "What have you done?"

Up to this point neither Oma, nor Range knew the other's curse. But, shortly after they
shared their secret. .. they embraced ... certain of what of they had lost. .. and, yet glad of their choice. To them the matter was simple ... for what manner of man or woman wishes to outlive their children?

Tell me that you love me and our love will last forever.

(Oma was not actually Rayhan’s daughter ... although he treated her as such. She arrived shortly after his wife had died ... she consented to stay and help raise his children and protect his flock.)

I'd say that you're drawing is getting better.

28vwv2f.jpg

Part 6 – Tale Number 3

This tale is about the wisdom and love that prevailed out of a broken bargain.

As the seventh year of Range’s service to Rayhan came to a close…Range went to Rayhan to ask for the sheep he had been promised for working for him the past seven years.

Rayhan was sharp. The old man must have schemed for years to come up with a logical reason to keep from giving a single lamb to Range for his service. “My son you and your family have eaten all your sheep.”

Range was filled with disbelief over what he had just heard.

Cid, Rayhan’s good friend leaned over to whisper to him, “Do you think this is wise?”

“Let us see what he will say,” replied Rayhan.

“Rayhan,” said Range, “you have treated me as a son all these years…and, my wife as your daughter. If it be your will to turn me away now, you do it with good reason…if I have failed you in any way tell me so I may correct my ways.”

Rayhan’s heart broke as he started to pose a thought. “If I were to give you a sixth of my flock as our agreed bargain …I would have to send you and you wife away…for there can not be two masters within one camp.

Cid then spoke up with an offer, “Range…I will give you horses if you would come to work for me…and, I give them to you now for just one year of future service.”

Rayhan was surprised to heard his friend's words...until he realized that his friend was just playing along.

Range smiled and shook his head. “That’s a tempting offer, but my loyalty belongs to Rayhan. You see Cid, you have sons to tend to your business. But, if we chose to leave he will be all alone now that his daughters are married and living with their husbands.

“So, Range, what would you ask of me?” Rayhan asked.

"I would hope." said Range, "that you Rayhan would allow my wife, my children and I to remain in your service.”

Rayhan then smiled and said, “My son, Range…have I given anything but good to you and your family? And, do you not know that everything I own shall be yours one day. It is you that I have to thank God for…since your arrival my flock has doubled and doubled again…so how could I ever think to do an evil act against you?”

In hearing Rayhan’s words Range knew that he had been truly blessed. So, Range and Oma remained with and served Rayhan until his dying day.

As hard as Range tried, he was after all a warrior as were all the Yemeni people. He was the one that found the ancient scrolls that told of the lands that belong to Yemen. He had hoped to stir his people into taking control of those lands, but time of action was quickly slipping away.

fohg95.jpg

fsa5t.jpg

Range was a warrior, but age was catching up to him and Oma. Their children were now full grown with children of their own.

Last edited:
Huh, I can't wait to see if Range really dies!

Part 7 - War Clouds Gather

The years passed all too swiftly for Range and Oma. Now, in their sixties their family of
five sons and two daughters gathered about them with their children.

The following are the names of their sons and daughters in order of oldest to youngest:

Ghadir (Sword)
Hafsa (Cub, young lioness)
Jabbar (Mighty)
A’Mal (Hope, aspiration)
Coman (Noble)
Raaqeen (Writer)
Jabir (Conforter)

One of Range’s grandson’s climbed up on his lap and asked, "Grandfather, won’t you tell us about a battle?"

"Your grandfather is tired," said A’Mal, the boy’s mother.

"Not so tired that I can't spend my time in telling of our glorious history."

"Or, retelling a tale," joked Ghadir. “Maybe you should tell them how you took the fort in Asir with only one hundred men.

“Who did?” Range asked, as if forgetting his historic exploits when he was a much younger man.

“Why, you did, of course ... at least, that's a tale you told me when you returned from war.”

“Well, it was a long time ago and my mind is a little fuzzy,” said Range. “But, let me see, Asir…we were at war with Hedjaz….”

Tale Number 4

This is a tale of great valor and deception

(The Asir region is situated on a high plateau. It receives between 12 to 20 inches of rain each year…in the morning the fog can get so thick that visibility can be near to zero percent. There’s a lot of natural vegetation and areas of dense coniferous forests.)

In the days of Yemen's first war with Hedjaz, the Yemeni forces were winning the battle on
the Asir plateau. But, the fort was yet to be attacked and it was known to be well provisioned.

From the start of the war the Yemen army needed a quick victory as their country had very little funds to support the war. Time was not on their side. If a miracle did not soon arrive the Yemen army would have to retire from the war in disgrace. The war had been a matter of pride for the Yemenis, as the war was brought on by a Hedjaz insult.

Miles away as the main battle of Sair was taking place, a man named Range of the Yemeni army had advanced on the fort with 100 men.

One man among the small force, asked Range their commander, "Are we expected to blow our horns as we march about the fort until the walls fall down?" The men all laughed. "And what of the army inside ... they outnumber us ten to one.”

Range pondered their position for a moment, before answering quite confidently. "We'll take the fort with our few ... for they have no idea of our number... and, this thick woods that completely surrounds the fort shall assist us."

It was morning when they arrived. Each man could barely see a few feet ahead of them due to the dense fog. So, it was impossible for fort’s defenders to know the number that were facing them.
Taking this thought into account Range had formed a plan of deception.

A day earlier, Range and his men had captured a merchant with a delivery of fine linen of all colors. From these linens, Range had his men cut banners of all colors. He then ordered his men to prepare many poles and then had them tie one cut banner to each pole.

Range broke his men into small groups between 3 and four men and sent them to take up different positions about the fort. Each group had a different color banner that was to be planted in plain view of the defenders of the fort to see ... as if to signify that were different regiments, or at least a company for each banner.

The fort’s commander was suspicious, so he sent out two scouts to learn the Yemeni forces actual strength. Both men were killed before they could share what they had learned. One was killed by an arrow; the other had his head severed from his shoulders. Learning of their deaths Range thought to use to their demise to further his plan.

By the next afternoon, once the fog had burned away by the heat of day the defenders got a taste of what might lie ahead for them. In a show of deception, Range had one man’s dead body placed in the Merchant’s cart and set ablaze. From their vantage point, the defenders in hearing the screams, they could not tell that it was Range’s men doing the screaming and not the dead scout.

As for the severed head of the other scout, it was also placed standing upward position in plain view in a pit of sand.

The word of the sighting of the two scouts quickly spread throughout the fort’s forces and its inhabitants…fear abounded. “…And, they buried the other up to his neck,” they cried, “…What would they do to us if we do not surrender the fort?” The people, as well as many of the officers pleaded with the commander of the fort, “Send the Yemeni commander a proposal" they pleaded, "tell them we surrender the fort if they will spare our lives."

The fort’s commander fearing he was in an impossible position soon gave in, surrendering the fort without a fight. Two days later, after hearing that the fort in Asir had fallen to impossible odds, the Hedjaz King ceded Asir to Yemen to end the war.

Thus, deception can be mightier than the sword.

Shortly after Range finished his tale word arrived that we were at war with Najd.

“Well, it’s about time,” yelled Range.

“Father,” said Ghadir, “this will be a war for the young.”

“Would you deprive your father from defending his country?”

Ghadir did not reply. Instead, he hung his head.

Oma moved up to her husband and asked, “Is this how it ends?” She then embraced him as if she’d never let him go, before sharing a kiss.

The next morning, before we went to war, Father and Mother had words to share with their warrior sons. But, it was words that she shared with Ghadir, our oldest brother that has always been pressed deeply in my memory.

“Ghadir,” she said, “do not listen to the ding of war and block out the world around you ...Keep a keen watch this day forward for those that in war that will prove their worth and make them your friends. In quiet times, listen to them with your eyes closed ... before you look into their eyes to make sure they are what they profess to be. Maybe then you will see something in them that reminds you of your father and me."

Hafsa (agile and well schooled with the sword) and A’Mal would remain to protect mother and the flock while the men were away.

The following are Raaqeen’s words detailing what took place during Yemen’s war with Najd, Algiers and Adel:

We fought several battles to secure Najd as ours.

30t4d1d.jpg

Their troops would not surrender. At the end we had to wipe them out to a man.

nucz4.jpg

Our Father, learning that Mocha was under attack by Adel troops rode hard to save our defenders in the fort. He arrived too late to save the denfenders.

1428lyc.jpg

Our main force remained behind to take the Najd fort.

tan59c.jpg

Our provinces were under constant attack from troops of Adal, Najd and Algiers which hindered our attempts to take the fort in Najd.

2ajt9o6.jpg

When we arrived to join father's troops, he told us that we must carry our fight to Adal.

o03ssh.jpg

2l9t936.jpg

Due to our Father's urgings we have gained Tajura.

308i2ah.jpg

Sadly, with victory came bitter news. Shortly after taking Tajura...we learned that Father had fallen in retaking the fort in Mocha.

Last edited:
Huh, HUH??? Range is dead???

Yemen – The Happy Arabia

Part 8

The death of Range my Father and Oma my Mother (told by Raaqeen).

Father had just retaken the fort in Mocha. In a gesture to show we had prevailed, he ran into a building that was in flames to remove the Adal banner from its pole on the roof of the building.

He must have climbed the stairs within the burning building, as I soon saw him on the roof. He moved quickly as if he was a man third his age and soon had removed the banner from its pole. No sooner had he removed the flag, the roof was heard to be giving way.

Father soon disappeared from view as the roof dropped into the burning building. I never saw father alive again. Of the bodies that were found in the building after embers had died there was no way to tell which was Father. I cried to heaven above, "Father, forgive me!"

That very afternoon, maybe the moment that dad fell... Mother knew that Father was
gone. At least this is what Hafsa later explained when learning the time that Father had died. She recalled what Mother whispered, "Goodbye my love."

Mother could sense that the spirit of her dear love had left this world…for she felt the emptiness in her heart..

The next morning, Hafsa and A’Mal found the note left by mother. It read, “Stay here with the flock my dears until your brother’s return. I go to join my love ... your father. Do not follow ... where I go, I go alone.”

On that very day we lost both Oma and Range.

23lfn1w.jpg

Last edited:
Part 9

Shortly before Yemen took Tajura their forces were joined by a young man in a kilt and his young female companion. They fought like demons and were quickly accepted in the ranks of the Yemen forces.

When the final battle for Tajura was over, the two strangers were brought to Ghadir’s tent. With his back to the tent’s opening the pair entered.

“You wanted to see us?” The man in the kilt asked.

The voice of the man sounded all too familiar to Ghadir, but he did not yet turn to look into his face. Then, the woman spoke up and her voice too was as familiar. But, what was more stranger were the words she chose to share. “Maybe the ding of war has done something to his hearing?”

“Mother,” Ghadir whispered, as he turned to stare at his visitors. His jaw opened in disbelief as he stared into their eyes. “It cannot be.”

“You look like you’ve seen a ghost,” said the man in the kilt.

“Maybe we should introduce ourselves,” remarked the young woman.

“My name is Range O’Hara…grandson of your father…and this is my…”

The younger Range was then stopped in mid-sentence, as his female companion spoke up. “…his sister,” she said, “…Sarah O’Hara.”

Range appeared stunned in hearing his companion’s words. He then mumbled “it’s a good thing our last name isn’t Lee…then, you’d be Sarah Lee.”

Part 10

What really happened:

During the time when the battles raged in Tajura, Oma arrived in the outskirts of Mocha. She didn't know why she had come, but she felt an urging. Stopping by some brush she heard a familiar voice.

“I hope you brought my kilt,” said the man that was hidden in the brush.

"Who's there?" Oma asked, demanding an answer.

"It is me Range..."

"MY Range is dead. And, don't be mistaken I'm not a helpless hag as you might think.
I have a sword and I know how to defend myself.”

"It's me alright,” said the man as he stepped from the brush. “I hope you brought my kilt and a shirt.”

Oma was angry. She dismounted. “No more family, she hollered, before reaching into a bag that hung from her horse and pulled out a shirt and a kilt and threw them at him.

“Wait until I get my hands on that shopkeeper,” said Range.

“He’s dead by now,” snapped Oma. “Besides he told the truth…he told us if but a drop of his elixir...touched our tongue we would age as normally as anyone normal can.”

“But, we’re not normal!”

Oma was steamed. She reached under her tunic and pulled out the pillow she’d carried about her stomach the past few years. “I’m not going through this again,” she said shaking the pillow. She then ripped off her wig and threw it and the pillow into the sand. “No more children…it hurts too much to say goodbye.”

“What about the grandchildren?”

Yemen – The Happy Arabia - Part 11

It didn't take long for Oma and Range's family to embrace Sarah and the new Range into the family. The five brothers and two sisters felt a kinship to the pair almost overnight.

Tale # 5

The Prince takes an interest

It was shortly after battle that the eyes of the Prince of Yemen's fell upon the young and beautiful Sarah. He soon began to long for her. But, the young prince had no way of knowing that she belonged to another. The young beautiful woman had told a lie and said upon first meeting that the man she was with was her brother, but it was in fact her husband.

Sarah had no idea that the Prince would fall for her. When she realized her mistake, she advised her husband that they must flee to Ireland ...his land. But, they soon found that they were trapped and wondered if there was a way out of this web of deceit as the Prince came to the husband and asked for his wife's hand in marriage.

When Sarah confided her predicament with Hafsa and A'Mal she did not share the reason for her deception. The two women tried to come up with a reason amongst themselves for her lie and could only come up with a false belief that Sarah was afraid for her husband's life. They assumed because Sarah was so beautiful, she feared that many men would want her and thus seek to end her husband's life.

Hafsa and A'Mal soon suggested to Sarah that she must chase the young Prince away through deception…a masquerade.

During this time, the young husband explained his predicament with the five brothers. Each had a suggestion, but it was Ghadir who hit upon the correct move. "You must convince the young prince that Oma (mistake)... Sarah is not the woman for him."

On the night that the Prince came to pay a call on Sarah, her husband and the brothers also gathered in the tent. The young husband soon began to try to talk the young prince of wanting to take Sarah as his wife. “I must be frank with you my good prince by taking Sarah as your wife you will be taking on more than you bargained for."

The good prince assured the husband, "You are selling your sister short ... she is like a dove as graceful and enchanting as ever has graced man's eyes"

Music began to play and Sarah began to dance for the young prince. At first, she appeared graceful but as she came close she appeared to trip and fall.

The prince jumped up and was about to help her up, but stopped when she jumped to her feet.

"Graceful, huh?" The husband commented. He and the prince then smelled Sarah’s foul breath. They both took a few quick steps back. And, thankfully too as she soon uttered a sound ... "Belch!"

The prince had enough. He leaned over to the husband and pleaded in secret, "I will give you five my finest horses if you will release me from my bond."

The young husband thought for a moment and felt ashamed. "No, I think ... you're an honorable man,” he said. "And, as such I must be honest with you…You must forgive us for the masquerade as Sarah is actually my wife ... she only said she was my sister to protect me …because she is so beautiful, agile and dainty…she feared for my life…"

The young Prince was relieved with the news and promptly decreed, "No one shall come against your house ...Although I should be angry in hearing this deception, I am not. .. Excuse me but I feel relieved ... and can say quite candidly that you're a lucky man ... May Allah bless your humble household." With that the young prince hurried from the tent and never returned.

"Was it something I said," Sarah asked her husband.

"We have to talk," the husband said expressing his displeasure to Oma (Sarah) his wife.

The brothers and the sisters all gathered about the married couple and began to celebrate.

The war like every war costs money and Yemen was a poor country. They had to take two loans (40 and 38 ducats) to continue the fight. Yemen paid back the two loans by September 1453.

But, even before the loan was repaid Range had set his eyes on a prize...Mecca. "Mecca belongs to Yemen, Range shouted to the council. But, to do this we must be crafty, for Hedjaz holds Mecca our prize. So, we must choose a weak ally one that Hedjaz might attack...so, we can come to the aid of the little lamb...I would like to propose with the council's permission that we make an alliance with our friendly neighbor Hassa."

And, it was done...Hassa became an ally to Yemen. And Hedjaz fall prey to Yemen's scheme.

Hedjaz declared war on Hassa. Yemen immediately attacks Mecca.
34ga6pd.jpg

The art of peace and war...Yemen has learned its lesson very well. Mecca is Yemen's prize.

2jebo0x.jpg

Of course that wasn't enough for Range. No sooner had Mecca fallen to Yemen, her sights were trained on a new prize. "My dear council members...we the Yemeni people are a warring people...and as such cannot allow injustices to prevail...Dhofar should also be ours.

The council agreed that Dhofar actually did belong to Yemen. However, the council said that there was nothing that could be done...Dhofar belonged to Oman a much stronger people than Hedjaz.

nl2zv7.jpg

28vwv2f.jpg

Last edited: