• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Range

General
12 Badges
May 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Scotland, home of the brave, the strong and the free.

Normal Level – Vanilla Game

Start Date: 30 May 1453.

2vlrup2.jpg

Goal:
• To Survive with no less than what I began with.

• The report will take on the feel of a history book (hopefully to stay away from mundane reports of the game itself.)

• At the close of the game to have the highest Prestige level and position that I can obtain.

The Guidelines:
• No Reloading of saved games and replaying dates for the purpose of changing results.

........................................................................................................................................

The Scottish diary written by Range, the eternal sage.

30 May 1453

• In so much that a country grows not only through its people, but through the proper use of its resources I Range was set to guide Scotland toward its rightful place on the world stage.

• Initially, I made certain that all our funds were slotted toward our Government Economy (Forsaking all other economy advancements.)

2s1k6xf.jpg

• We had already recruited one of the finest Government advisors.

• Aware that we needed to accumulate funds, I recruited a Compete Chance Advisor as well.

• As for taking a loan, I did not think it was needed or a smart move to take. I did not want to have a loan hanging over my head, and Scotland's.

1 March 1455
• Scotland has grown and we have come up with a National Idea of Shrew Commerce Practices. Like all countries in Europe, Scotland needs ducats to exist and to grow.

• I only wish that everyone felt like I do regarding our initial national Idea. Angus, never fails to tell me that I made a mistake. “And, just what are we suppose to do when the English come and ask us for our country…just hand it over to them?”

• “Of course not,” I shot back. "We'll fight,"

• “And, with what army are we to fight with? Shrew Commerce Practices, indeed...we need to take a STRONG military stance...not to employ trade tactics as if we were the I-talians.

3 March 1455
• Knowing that Stability is a primary concern of any nation, I instituted a new directive for our nation. Our economy's funds would now be completely geared toward raising our nation's stability to its fullest extent.

9 March 1455
• I signed a Trade agreement with Norway.

1 February 1456
• Our Nation’s Stability has risen.

21 April 1458
• I arranged a royal marriage with Castille.

• Angus for one was not pleased about the marriage. What else is new?

• “Could you have found a suitor and ally any further from home?” Angus fumed.

• “Does anything make you happy Angus?” I asked.

• “Yes,” he replied without hesitation, “an army right about now would do me a world of good.”

• “How about an infantry unit?”

• “If you’d throw in some cavalry as well I’d grin from ear to ear.”

• “Done,” I said before we shook hands on it.

Angus:
• I had begun to consider him as friend, but it wasn't easy in the beginning.

• To many, he was irritating and they were right to consider him irritating.

• He was a military man and thus, he always believed that the army should be foremost in the hearts and minds of not only the people but also the people that governed Scotland.

• When I first met Angus he was about twenty-five years of age. He had a stocky build and he as brave as can be.

• He always carried a sword and was one of Scotland’s best swordsmen as well its best horsemen.

• He was a common man, a man that the common man and many nobleman would gladly stand beside him in battle.

1 December 1458
• My plan, no my prayers have been answered Scotland is now stable beyond belief.

• However, Norwegian Rebels on the island of Orkney (Norway) have caught our attention as they have taken over the island.

• Angus will not control his emotions as he flies into fits of rage. He constantly badgers me with his request. “We must send an army up to the Highlands...the rebels are sure to strike there next.”

17 December 1459

• To quiet Angus, I sent one army of infantry to defend the Highlands. I also sent a cog to Weskin Island off the Highlands.

2m84hso.jpg

24 November 1460
• Finally, maybe Angus will be satisfied. The enlistment of the First Lothian cavalry is under way.

10 March 1461
• "Another royal Marriage in Castile," exclaimed Angus. That Castellan goes through wives as quickly as I go through casks of Ale."

10 June 1461
• I have to listen to Angus more often. His prediction has come true. The Orkney rebels, more than 1800 strong have crossed over into the Highlands.

• I could have not thought of anyone better to lead the relief force than Angus. He will lead the newly formed Lothian’s 1st cavalry.

• Shortly after Angus’s departure with his men, word arrived in Edinburgh that our Highland troops had been caught by surprise.

The Battle for the Highlands:

• After the initial battles, the situation appeared helpless for our infantry. They choose to retreat and the Rebels followed after them.

• Our Highland infantry continued to run from the advancing horde until the distance between the two armies shorten to an alarming measure.

• An order was given for our lads to set up a defensive position right in the open. A better location should have been chosen, as standing in the open was more than suicide.

• There were two much better positions that could have been easily reached. The first was up a slight ridge about a mile away.

• But, the best defensive position of all was less than a quarter mile away in a grove of trees that had a cool stream running through the middle of it.

• By one in the afternoon, carts were hastily overturned and crates were positioned for walls.

• Our lads, boys and old men really waited beneath the June’s sun that was proving not to be an ally to their cause.

• They were out of food and water, and they were exhausted.

• The Rebels quickly completely surrounded our lads and were prepared to wait for our troop’s surrender.

• When the rebels learned that Angus’ cavalry was quickly approaching their position, the order was given to immediately attack our boy’s position.

• The rapid cadence of the beating drums and pipes cued Angus to the fact that a battle was raging about the pass.
• “Onward boys, the enemy are upon our brothers,” cried Angus.

• The rebels quickly breached the makeshift walls and were pouring into the square.

• The hand to hand fighting was fierce on both sides. But, the beleaguered and outnumbered defenders were faltering and could not hold out for long.

• That when the youngest of corporals cried out, “Cavalry…it’s the relief force.”

• The carnage was great…not one rebel survived the battle.

• Angus’ cavalry had saved the day.

• Angus’ report from the Highlands spoke volumes of the state of our army there (and maybe our military as a whole. “The infantry sent here are little more than rabble – there’s no discipline and little morale. But, they are good men. They just need…find us a war that we can win.”

2 February 1462

• After the death of our Compete Advisor, I recruited a Reputation Advisor in his place. Not that the Compete Advisor was a great loss. To date we have not had a single merchant gain a seat at any market.

• Still, in signing this new Reputation Advisor, I could have hoped for better.

5 May 1463

• When I learned the news about what Angus had gone and done, as God is my witness, if the man was standing before me I would have drawn and quartered him.

• The man is mad. But, he did a great service to Scotland by going to Orkney and meeting with the remaining rebels on that island.

• The following morning, the rebels defected to Scotland and Orkney was ours.

• In Angus’ report concerning his escapade he explained his actions to me. “I knew you would never consider going behind one of our allies’ back and steal a province right from under their nose…so, I took the initiative…besides the bloody English had a ship in the area. I didn’t want them over-looking our backyard, too.”

15 November 1465

• I signed an alliance with Castille which thrilled Angus to no end.

• “What if they go to war and call for arms…you do know how far Castille is from Scotland?” He asked, fuming.

• We still cannot get a merchant to market. We’ve sent four this year.

1 December 1467
• I threw my hand up and finally sacked our Reputation Adviser and replaced him with a far better one. The previous adviser was totally inept. It’s surprising we still have allies.

1 June 1469

• Angus nearly broke down my door this morning with some alarming news. France has sent 2,000 troops to support Ayrshire.

• Angus was outraged, “Range…tell them to go home!”

• I didn’t ask for them?”

• Well, who did?” He asked.

• Even though the old Reputation Adviser was long gone, there still were some lingering effects.

22 June 1469
• “I was afraid of this,” I confided to Angus. “France has issued a call of arms against Aragon.”

• “We can’t send them much,” said Angus. “…no more than a thousand men. And, they would have to be used strictly for defensive measures…be sure to make that point very clear to the French.”

• In sending the 1000 men I made it very clear they would be sent as merely as defensive units. Well, at least I had thought I made it very clear. But, something maybe in the translation got turned around. “…they are defend one of your coast provinces.”

• My orders were plainly stated. They were to be supports troops only (staying on the coast).

• When I learned of the massacre of our troops at Toulouse I was devastated.

• When Angus read the communiqué, he asked, “And, where were the blasted French? They were supposed to be marching with ours boys toward Toulouse.”

• I sighed, shaking my head, and said, “At the last minute the French turned right and headed for the coast and didn’t bother to tell our boys to turn with them. Our lads walked straight into 15,000 Aragon troops.”

7 November 1470
• A little late for our lads in Toulouse Aragon has graciously offered White Peace. Of course we accepted graciously. In retrospect though, we have been out this war from the moment we learned that our lads had been massacred in Toulouse.

1 October 1471
• My quest for trading knowledge continues as we have gained ground..

1 December 1471
• We continue to fail in sending Merchants to market…two more have failed. It appears to be a lost cause and I’m at a loss to explain our failures.

26 May 1472
• Angus and I travel to a nearby land for another Royal Arranged Marriage ceremony.

• Angus was not in the best of moods in attending the ceremony. Turning his head he whispered asking me, “What are we doing here?”

• You asked me why I didn’t arrange a marriage close to home…now, I do and you still complain.”

• “Arranged marriages are one thing,” he murmured. “…but to the English?”

14 April 1473
• Another Call to Arms, this time by Castille’s against Morocco brings a special cause to light – religion.

• “Maybe this time we’ll be better prepared,” I told Angus.

• Angus’ reply was something that I expected. “Better suited…or, the better leader…Send me to lead them,” he said.

• The following morning Angus embarked with 1000 infantry for Morocco to join Castille’s invasion force.

• Moments after reaching the Moroccan shore, Angus learned that Algiers had joined Morocco’s side.

• Not far from the beach the sound of battle rang out. Some 15,000 combined enemy troops had joined in battle against Castille’s armies. Truthfully they were chasing the Castille’s troops back to their transports when we arrived.

• Surmising the situation quickly, “Angus immediately ordered him men back into their transports as Castille’s panic filled troops streamed onto the beach in full retreat.

• After a couple of ridiculous demands for peace from Morocco (180 and 200 ducats), I had enough.

• On 21st of February 1474, I got my peace at a price I thought was reasonable.

• Back in Cordoba, during the middle of the nightt, Angus and his men were abruptly ordered to leave Cordoba.

• Angus had been told that he and his men could not stay in Castille now that the war was over.

• “All right,” snarled Angus, “we’ll go. But, could someone kindly tell us who won?” He received no reply.

• Their transport had been badly damaged in battle. They were barely at 50%.when they set sail for Scotland.

22 April 1474
• Our battered transports (37% strength) arrived safely at Aryshire.

• On his arriving Angus angrily stormed toward the chambers of the council meeting that was in session.

• “Now, about the 25 ducats we received from Morocco in ending the war…” I began to explain as Angus stepped through the doorway.

• “What 25 ducats?” Angus asked angrily.

• “Oh, Angus,” I said smiling, glad to see my friend was safe. “You’re back!”

• “And, just what 25 ducats were you just referring to?” Angus demanded to know.

• “Well, the 25 ducats we got from Morocco to bring the war to an end, of course.”

• “We won?” Angus asked bewildered.

5 August 1474

• It would seem to Angus we were doing everything but building an army. Our recent finished project had us researching Production Techniques.

• What Angus didn’t seem to understand, there were basic steps Scotland had to take to be able to afford a sizable army.

• To lead our intuitive, we would first look to the trading market of Lubeck. I proposed that we send three merchants immediately to its market.

• Step was we would take full advantage of our resources and begin building workshops in Lothian and Ayrshire.

• Angus hadn’t said much as he listened. But, his silence and with our knowing him so well we knew what the man was thinking, and, what about an army…when are we going to explore the issue of military knowledge.

• Looking to my good friend Angus, I added in closing, “And, now to our army needs…I think it’s time we explore military knowledge.”

• The only thing that Angus could think of to say was “Hallelujah!”

Last edited:
Scotland, the Brave, the strong and the Free - Part 2

Part TWO - A Matter of History (Turning Back the Hands of Time)

The Retreat From Morocco (the famous painting) - 14 April 1473

9rn192.jpg

General Angus McDonald, after rescuing the beleaguered Castellan troops from the Moroccan shores, he gives them comforting words as his ships return them safely to Castelle.

"Could someone kindly lend a man a seat in his own boat!"

I know it's a terrible drawing, but it's better than stick figures.

• History books tell of a daring and magnificent rescue of the beleaguered armies of Castille by the Scotland armada.

• When the armies of Castille were in full retreat from the quickly approaching Moroccan and the Algerian armies, the armies of Castille were miraculously pickup off the Moroccan beaches by the Scottish navy in the nick of time and sailed back to safety to the Spanish shores.

• A painting of the epic moment hangs in the Prado Museum in Madrid, Spain. Scottish General Angus McDonald is seen standing in the bow of a ship giving comforting words to the men that are huddled closely together.

• That’s history 101 today.

• But, the real story as Angus told it is much different.

• Let’s turn back the clock and listen to his very words.

• “What painting? I don’t care what history writes or how it paints that cockamamie retreat and that war.”

• “I know the real truth because I was there.”

• “I remember it quite clearly…I had just come ashore in Morocco, in the lead of my force of 1,000 Scottish infantry.”

• “I heard the shouts of 5,000 men and the pounding of their feet upon the beach sands as they quickly approached.”

• “One of my corporals caught the first glimpse of the quickly approaching Castellans.”

• “Look,” he said, “they’re coming to greet us.”

• “Actually...the Castellans were in full retreat. Their faces were filled with horror as they ran from the approaching doom.”

• “Why before we knew it they were climbing into our boats and soon began to overfill them.”

• “Gazing over my shoulder I suddenly realized what they were running from. Over the dunes came thousands of screaming Moroccan and Algerian troops heading straight for us.”

• “We wasted no time in evacuating everyone from the Moroccan shore…no was left behind, except for the enemy.”

• “Our landing crafts were nearly capsizing due to the number of troops in them…this was the first and only time I thanked God we didn’t bring our cavalry.”

• "Thankfully we made it to our main crafts without losing anyone."

• "And, the reason why I'm portrayed standing up in the portrait is because there was no where left for me to sit down in the bloody wooden bathtub!"

Last edited:
Scotland, the Brave, the strong and the Free. - Part 3

15 October 1474

• The French have left Scotland.

• Now that the French are finally gone, Angus is in rare form. Now he’s telling me to cut the bonds that ties us to Castille. I keep telling him it’s not as simple as it might sound to end a relationship between countries.

• Angus is very blunt with his reply, “We can’t continue to stick our noses where it doesn’t belong, especially when we don’t have an army.”

25 October 1474
• Memo to self: I must make a point to listen to Angus more often. Castille has called for Arms. As it stands now, we’re not going to send anyone. Our people won’t stand for it at this time and who can we send?

For the next few years all that took place were the building of Market places throughout Scotland.

So, as to not bore you…allow me to spin a small tale...Well, too late!

11 April 1475

Angus
• Angus has been acting quite surly the last few days, especially today.

• Something is eating at him. For an example, just this morning a young officer jumped aside to clear the path for Angus and I as we entered a pub.

• Angus stared at the man, and growled at him asking, “Did you step aside because of superior rank, or my age?”

• The young officer swallowed hard, asking “Sir?”

• I quickly began to push Angus away as I gave the man a sort of a reprieve. “You may carry on Lieutenant.”

• “What is your problem Angus?”

• He hemmed and hawed for a moment before finally explaining, “I gazed into the mirror this morning and saw this,” he said brushing his hand across his beard.

• “Your beard?”

• “No,” he barked, “the gray hairs!”

• “Well,” I said, “I hate to break it to you friend but those gray hairs have been there for a few years.”

• Angus wasted no time in replying, ”To me it was as if I turned old overnight.”

• “It’s your birthday…don’t tell me you’re fifty.”

• “If you spread that word, I’ll deny it. But, I’m actually fifty-two.”

• “Your secret is safe with me.”

• “How does a man turn old overnight?” he asked.

9 May 1475

• While attending a Royal Arranged Marriage reception in Norway, Angus was still preoccupied with age. “Funerals and weddings,” Angus whispered to me with conviction “what we need is a good war before I get grow too old to fight.”

• Of course, “ he said beginning to explain before I interrupted his thought by saying, “Except we don’t have an army.”

• Then his face turned sour as he asked, “Don’t these people know how to dance?”

• “I don’t know, I think they dance wonderfully,” I replied.

• He leaned back and stared at me, as if he couldn’t believe his own ears to what he had just heard. Then with stern words, he said, “As soon as this dance ends I’ll show you how a real man dances.”

• No sooner had the dancers left the floor, Angus asks for my sword. He then took center stage to address the people and the Lords in attendance. “If you will allow, in honor of the new couple, I would like to perform the Scottish sword dance…a dance that is said to have been performed since the days of the Romans…but, its Scottish…Markus if you will…a familiar tune.”

28swor4.jpg

• Markus prepared his bagpipes.

• Dressed in his finest kilt, Angus placed his swords upon the stone floor in sort of a T. And, with the help of Markus’ accompanying with his bagpipes Angus performed the Scottish Sword Dance fluidly and flawlessly, not missing a beat…or a step.

• In the audience was a maid named Dahlia. In a year or so she became Angus’ wife. They would eventually have several children. Their last child was named Richard.

Now, I told you this little story for a good reason…I can use Richard later in this AAR. I need characters and they have to come from someplace.

13 June1504
A Time to Act:

If a country, any country doesn’t grow it will surely swivel up and die, to be swallowed up by another nation. As for Scotland, it is time to act or die. Because we had pretty saved our ducats over the years…we have pretty to spare to send quite a few Colonists to a newly discovered island chain. Remember - Mony a mickle naks a muckle! (Saving a small amount soon builds up to a large amount.)

• We sent two groups of Colonists to the Caribbean, one to Tortugas and the other to Barahanas (Haiti).

• By December both groups had a settlement.

December 1507

• Les Cayes was settled.

• In April, 1000 newly retrained Scottish “Men of Arms” stepped onto the shores of Barahanas.

10 August 1507

• Guantanamo is settled.

1 December 1509

• Jamaica is settled

March 1510

Regardless of the fact that troops were needed in our new colonies, I was only able to scrape together a force of 1,000 men to take with me to the colonies. It was as if Angus was speaking to me from his grave.

• To further sate our military predicament in Scotland, half of the men I took with me could hardly be called soldiers as they were either middle-aged (hastily recalled to duty veterans) or young cadets.

• Richard, now seventeen was one of the cadets. I recognized him immediately as he climbed aboard the transport before left. To say that he resembled his saintly father would be an understatement.

• Colonists had already landed on Havana.

• When we arrived in Barahonas and was told of the situation in Havana. I left the contingent I had brought with me in Barhonas and set sail for Havana with the 1000 troops that were stationed in Barhonas.

• It took three battles to completely wipe out the natives in Havana

• In September, Havana was settled and free of natives.

• Knowing that Scottish Colonists had landed on Jamaica we immediately set sail for the island to fight the natives there. The natives of Jamaica were as ferocious as the natives in Havana.

• The battles (four in all) for Jamaica was fierce. But, we won. My troops were tired and many were wounded. And, we had no way of knowing what was taking place Les Cayes.

• The 100 or so Colonists in Les Cayes were under attack by 1000 natives. Their first attack killed 40 settlers.

• When the troops I had left in Barhanas heard about the uprising they set off for Les Cayes immediately.

The account of the battle for Les Cayes:

• Just below a hill about a mile from the settlement of Les Cayes, old Colonel McGregor steadied his men as they advanced.

• He had positioned his old guard to the front and his brash young cadets to the rear of his column.

• “Form skirmish lines,” McGregor shouted. His trusted guard formed four lines behind one another. The young cadets formed four behind them.

• The Colonel was moving his troops too slowly for Richard and the other cadets liking. They heard the screaming of the natives as they were clashing with the settles in the distance.

• Richard’s closest comrades in arms, Sean, Brodie, Knox and Felipe were at his side and were ready to do whatever he said, as were all the cadets.

• We can’t move this slowly, or all the settlers will perish.

• In the front of his troops, Colonel McGregor had no idea what was about to happen. As it was, his total concentration was trained on bringing his troops up the hill slowly and carefully.

• Poor Colonel McGregor, how could he ever have been ready for the rush of 500 cadets that breezed past him and his guard, screaming and yelling as they charged up and soon disappearing over the hill.

• “Double time,” McGregor ordered his guard.

• When McGregor reached the crest of the hill he saw that the cadets had fought their way into the settlement and had driven the natives off.

• The natives, numbering over 1500 were quickly regrouping in the brush for another attack.

• The cadets in the settlement had formed a wedge, two deep as they braced themselves for the attack. The settlers had fallen back to their shacks with the wounded.

• Seeing the natives break from the brush and begin to charge headlong toward the cadets, McGregor hollered, “Have at them, lads!” as he led his old guard down the hill toward the settlement.

• Seconds after the natives had crashed into the cadet’s wedge, McGregor’s old guard slammed into the natives from behind.

• The screaming, and the shock that the old guard caused soon made the natives break and disappear into the brush.

• McGregor stared at Richard wanting to ring his neck. Instead, he told Richard, “Dinnae teach yer Granny tae suck eggs!” (Figure that one out – Ah, it means Don’t try to teach someone something he already knows).

• McGregor formed his lines, readying his men for the next attack. “Keep the heid,” he told his men.” (Stay calm.) But, the attack never came.

• “How long do we wait?” Richard asked Colonel McGregor.

• McGregor, surmised what had happened and turned to give instructions to an slightly injured Felipe. “I leaving you with twenty men…defend the perimeter and the colonists.”

• “Que?” asked Felipe.

• Colonel McGregor turned to Richard for help.

• Richard began to motion vigorously at Felipe as he explained the Colonel request. “You stay here with twenty men and fight.”

• “Si”, replied Felipe.

• Richard then turned to the poor Colonel and explained, “There’s about twenty Cadets that hail from Castille that we can leave with Felipe.”

• McGregor sighed as he turned away.

• There would be four more attacks that morning. But, these final attacks, McGregor troops were on the offensive taking the battle to the native’s village.

• By the end of the day, the natives had been virtually wiped out.

• For his valor, Richard and several of comrades were awarded the Scottish Medal of honor for saving 38 settlers.

• After the ceremony, Richard came up to me and said something that reminded me so much of his father.

• He said, “Now send us some armies so we can defend your islands…and don’t forget to send the navy.”

• As if I was speaking to his father, I replied as I had replied to his father a hundred times before, “I’m working on it.” Then, I added, “If you weren’t Angus’ son, I'll gie ye a skelpit lug!” (loose translation- I’d give you a slap on the ear)

• He replied, “You might try…but, remember I am the son of Angus.”

• With that I pulled him to me and hugged as if Angus was doing the hugging and not me.

29 June 1510

• Moron was colonized.

• For the time being that was all the colonizing for Scotland.

15 May 1512

• I had a date in Scotland with the council.

• Our whole way of thinking had to change, beginning with our national ideas.

• As I climbed aboard the ship that would take me back home to Scotland. I envisioned seeing Angus standing on the shore. At that moment I recall a Scottish saying, Cha bhithidh a leithid ami riamh (His equal will never be among us again).

Last edited:
Very nice progress so far, but I do find it quite peculiar that you are not playing with In Nomine or Napoleon's Ambition.

If it's not too much to ask, could you post any more screenshots?

I just purchased the upgrades in a complete disk version. The only reason why I hadn't upgraded was I had started this new game before someone explained to me how to do the upgrade.

And, thank you for reading my report.

I plan to add more screen shots, but to now not much has been going on. I have several already for the next part. In Ireland Forever, it seemed that a lot more took place later in the game.

You're right. My biggest problem in taking screenshots...is I know of only one way to capture and copy screen shots. Every time I print screen I then have to get out of the game and paste it in Paint.

I know there must be a better way of capturing screenshots, but for the life of me I don't know what.

You're right. My biggest problem in taking screenshots...is I know of only one way to capture and copy screen shots. Every time I print screen I then have to get out of the game and paste it in Paint.

I know there must be a better way of capturing screenshots, but for the life of me I don't know what.

EU3 - F11 for screenshot of the game as it appears to you, including menus and zoom, map views, etc.

EU3 + IN - F12 for map of the world.

EU3 + IN - Shift + F12 for map of the world showing your country and subjects.

Screenshots are saved in your Screenshots folder.

Great, a Scottish AAR! ;)

I'm eager to see what you can do with the other proud Celtic nation!

EU3 - F11 for screenshot of the game as it appears to you, including menus and zoom, map views, etc.

Thank you...I'll try that.

Great, a Scottish AAR! ;)

I'm eager to see what you can do with the other proud Celtic nation!

Thank you my friend.

This is the greatest game ever invented. I've had the game for two years, but my video card wouldn't play it. Just recently I swapped out the card, changed my power supply and added ram.

:rofl:Next I try again to load the complete version. But, I'll finish this AAR first.

You have been very helpful a few times...thank you again.

Scotland, the Brave, the strong and the Free. - Part 4

Part 4

5 September 1512

• Arriving back in Scotland I wasted no time gathering the council together. There were a couple new members that I knew nothing about and one great loss.

• One of our most respected advisors of the world died of old age. With the lost of his (-20) reputation our nation shall suffer greatly.

I knew I would garner a lot of opposition in my changing my views from economy to that of a military stance, but I never expected what I was confronted with.

2d1k77r.jpg

The Following are the topics covered, with my thoughts and the council member’s counter arguments:

• “In so much that a country is only as strong as its army I would like to propose that Scotland become a great military force...on land as well as on the oceans.”

• There were groans from everyone in the room.

• Cairns, was first to speak up, in saying “Range…we long respected your views. And, all of them have served us well…our prestige is one of the highest in all the lands. In the time of need we have allies that will rise to our call of arms.”

2ck6d0.jpg

• “Will they?” I asked.

• And, we’ve expanded our borders,” added Stirling, “with islands you yourself helped to colonize…”

• “And, defended,” I was quick to add. “Well, let me tell you about the troops in the Caribbean. You heard of the battle of Les Cayes. Of the 1000 troops that fought so bravely, do anyone know that half their numbers were men in their fifties and the other half were raw cadets between the ages of 15 and 20.”

• “What of the others that fought the natives on Cuba and Curacao?” Colonel Gibson asked. “Tell our distinguished members of the council about them.”

• “There are other troops in the Caribbean,” I said. “Those…that eliminated the treat of natives attack for two provinces. They are the cream of Scotland arm forces…too bad that they number only 1,000.

• Many of the council board seemed alarmed by the news.

• “There are only two thousand troops defending our new territory acquisitions,” remarked Gibson.

• “Does that surprise you gentlemen?” I asked. “Oh, by the way , there’s only seven thousand protecting our Scotland.”

• “What?” some were heard to say, while others asked “How is this possible.”

• “And, what of our navy?” asked, Cairns.

• “Well, that’s good thing that you asked,” I replied. “…because they’re tied up to the dock outside…two cogs.”

• “You fool…you left our island defenseless?” Asked Cairns in disbelief.

• “I’d tread lightly my friend when you speak to me…after all I was taught sword fighting by the best in the world.”

• “So, why did you bring our navy here to Scotland?” Asked the Colonel.

• “I’m glad you asked that Colonel…I brought them so I can send them back with troops to defend the islands.”

• The debate raged for hours in the end, I won sort of.

The Outcome:

• I had hoped to change our national idea from Shrewd Commerce Practices to one of military nature. That attempt was soundly defeated, to be revisited upon the time we got a real navy.

• I would get the military that we needed, but it would grow one unit per year.

• The council figured that our funds would better serve my cause if we invested in areas other than military…and, in time the coffer would be swell and there would be enough for both land and sea expenditures.

• Most of our yearly funds would be allocated toward further Colonization and Merchants.

2q15nqf.jpg

2d1k77r.jpg

Another council board member:

• I recognized him immediately as another board member began to introduce him to me. It was Vincenzo (See – Island Forever)

• Thinking I needed no introduction, I clamped my hands down upon his shoulders and happily said, “You old dog…how have you been?”

• Vincenzo was taken aback by my actions. “Have we met, sir?” He asked timidly.

• “Of course…how are your daughters and the dear wife?

• “But, I not married sir,” he said sadly.

• I paused for a moment to think. I soon mumbled, “It’s 1512…of course. No, I’m afraid I’m mistaken…we’ve not met.”

• “But, you seem so sure,” he said, as if trying to recall meeting me.”

• At that moment I could have said a lot of things. But the quote that came to mind I expressed to Vincenzo. “There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio.”

• “But, my name is Vincenzo.”

• In hearing him say that, I was literally floored. Regaining my composure, I told him, “I see you one day having a very large family…thirteen children in all.”

• He seemed surprised, before he asked, “Any male children?”

• “Try…try, try…try again until it happens. No, this wasn't the Vincenzo I met in Jamaica (See- Ireland Forever) More than likely he is some distant relative of the man I met while working for Ireland.

Last edited:
Are there any other nations with colonies in the Americas? Also, what level was your government adviser, the one that died?

Thank you for pointing these things out. The advisor was a -20.

As for the Americas I made a point to stay away from there to allow the big guys to fight it out. But, I should have incorporated the settling of the Americas.

This is only my second game. I only started playing over the Memorial day weekend. How am I doing?::wacko:

You should standardize the sizes of your armies to make the gameplay easier.

Seeing that I suspect that England will attack Scotland...I was considering building a force of 15 combined army in the South.

But, your point might be a much wiser move.

It works...thank you.

Scotland, the Brave, the strong and the Free - Part 5

17 November 1514
• 1944 troops land in Jamaica.

• A Minister with a good power of speech joins up (+2 prestige)

6 October 1515
• Land Advisor is recruited (+3)

8 August 1517
• Barahonas has become a city of 2357 people.

1 July 1519
• Finally we have a new prestige advisor (-.10)

30 November 1519
• Our Court is filled

28313q.jpg

2 January 1520 (Early morning hours)
• “Do not trust the English…they seek the throne.” Those were the words I heard countless times in my sleep. But, the strange thing about those words was not the warning itself, but who offered them. It was Angus that said them.

• And, I knew what the warning meant…

• Through the many Royal Marriages the English might have a legal claim when our current king passes on.

• Our king has only one offspring and he’s a baby.

• This morning with the king’s permission all Royal Ties with England were severed. Now, we brace for war.

• And, I wonder whether Angus’ words actually came in a dream or had he actually visited me?

• Our Economy
123bjf4.jpg

The Visitation, that very evening:
The Ghost of Angus.

Outside the wind howled. Its force drove the branches of a large tree to pound against the frame of my house.

• "Range," said Angus. "Are you awake?"

• "I am now,” I said before blinking hard to make certain of what I was looking at. “So, it wasn’t a dream...”

• “Gather you troops here in Scotland,” he growled.

• “What troops…do you mean those in the Caribbean? They are needed to defend the colonists against the natives.”

• “Destroy the native’s will to fight and there will be no need for the troops to remain there.”

• “Destroy the natives…even those in Haiti, why? They are peaceful souls…over 1300 of them have already joined the city of Barahonas.”

• “There are powers that would bring those very same peaceful natives against us.” Silence was then allowed to fall before a second thought was posed by Angus. “And, forget about ever changing a National idea…it’s too costly…”

• “He is right Range,” said another familiar voice.

• “Who are you?” I asked, trying to make out the second image.

• “It is I, Sean Patrick O'Rourke, the First, if you will please” (See – Ireland Forever)

• “Sean…it is good to see you again…the both of you.”

• “Sean, talk some sense into Angus.”

• “Sorry…I can’t…Scotland needs a display of strength…”

• “…at the cost of the natives of Haiti? Next, the two of you will be telling me that I’m doing a terrible job.”

• “I would never say that,” said Sean.

• “Nor, would I…Scotland is free,” said Angus. “But, it’s time to do more…to start with send as many colonists and as many warships you can as quickly as possible to the Caribbean. You do know that pirates are terrorizing the Caribbean?"

• “So, you think all this will help keep Scotland free?”

• In hearing my question, Sean did not look me in the eye, and Angus just looked away.

• “What?”

• “Tell him Angus,” said Sean.

• Angus, as he was apt to do when he was alive began to hem and haw. Finally after sighing he explained, "The truth is Range, anything we suggest serves only to delay the inevitable ... Scotland is destined to fall to England."

• Our talk went on for hours. I later learned my servants, due to my conversation, cowered beneath a table and behind a chair. They heard only my words.

Shortly after Angus and Sean had gone, I could not believe that Scotland would ever fall to England.

• I called out to my attendant.

• As a burst through the doorway into the next room, I thought it odd to see Matilda squatting below the table. But the sight of seeing slowly rising from behind the chair, shaking as if in fear I had to laugh. “Don’t let a few claps of thunder and pounding of tree scare you!”

• “No, sir, he replied.

• I hollered out for my bodyguard. “Henry…Come quick!”

• He raced into the room and was immediately taken aback by my facial appearance. "Sir, is everything all right,” he asked. “You look as if you've seen a ghost."

• "Awake all the council members. Do not take a no for an answer. We work
through the night. Step lively now Scotland must prevail." Then turning about I noticed Matilda still squatting on the floor.

The Compromise:
• Cairn would get his extra Merchants and the colonists he had been fighting for in the council.

• I would get two barques for Haiti to drive away the pirates.

• A few weeks later a plague struck Fife – we took 40 ducats from out coffer to subdue the killer.

The battles against the Caribbean natives:
It sickened me to have to give the order to fight the natives. They had always so peaceful. But, Angus was right the Caribbean natives would be little more than pawns to our enemies.

• There were only four thousand troops in the Caribbean.

17 January 1520

• Two thousand were in Jamaica. One thousand were ferried across to Cuba to fight the natives there.

ibdf7s.jpg

• Many battles were fought in the three provinces of Cuba before the natives were subdued.

10 July 1520
• The 2.000 troops that been fighting the natives in Cuba, now land on Jamaica to repeat the dirty deed there.

• King Stuart I met the forces on Jamaica. He led the force of Our ruler, getting on in years will lead a 3,000 against a force of 1500 natives.

10 July 1520

24gu2kh.jpg

Fighting in Jamaica

• Fighting was fierce, and in the end the natives were virtually wiped out.

5 September 1520

63xb0p.jpg

• Battle for Haiti has begun.

• Stuart’s army descended on a sleeping village and annihilates the male population of a native village.

25zhyt4.jpg

• The battle for Toruga was the quickest of all the battles of the Islands.

• At Toruga…some of the troops swear that toward the end of the battle there arose a wail. “Ah, no!” The voice cried out. “Then, as if lamenting over this deed, the specter began to cry in a soft whisper that was carried along by a gentle breeze that touched all that listened, “I was wrong…”

• Some of the troops, in hearing the weeping of this specter immediately halted their aggression. But, at that point there wasn’t much left of the native’s village or of the male inhabitants.

• Once the battle for Haiti was over, two thousand troops were sent home to reinforce Lothian.

• In Scotland, that night, I received my last visitation. This time, Angus came alone.

The Final call:
At the moment that he arrived, I was speaking to Cairn. Cairn, the sometimes friend, often an opponent, but always loyal to Scotland had come to plead with me to have no more visitors.

• “There is talk in the council that you have gone mad. You must abstain from listening and speaking to these voices.”

• I started to argue, “What…to Angus?”

• “He’s right, Range…” Said Angus. “It is not good for Scotland that I come.” His voice began to drift off as if he was moving away. “But, before I leave you...do me one last favor...bring my son home...he's needed here. Farewell my friend.”

• I stared at Cairn, realizing that he did not hear Angus’ voice. I knew right at that moment that Cairn was right. Placing my hand firming on Cairn’s shoulder I told him that he was in fact right. “For Scotland’s sake…tell the council there will be no more visitation.”

30 January 1523

• King Stuart I dies of old age.

2vb9dok.jpg

WE HAVE NO KING!

30 July 1528

vpz4lj.jpg

• Our army is 15,000 strong in Lothian.

25 September 1529

• England continues to contact us with Royal Marriage proposals. We of course turn them down. Our reasoning is no alliance... no marriage.

7 June 1531

suu8g2.jpg

Moved one 1000 troops to the province to west, to build cannons.

29 January 1533

149pbo2.jpg

2 July 1534

• Due to our advancements in land research - all troops will be retrained as
Reformed Galloglash infantry.

• Our new leader comes of age.

• Two Barques arrive in Les Cayes to be refitted. Two months later they would drive the pirates from our waters.

j08a4m.jpg

• Tortuga becomes a city (after expanding its border – 40 ducats).

2 May 1536

• Five Merchants in II de France
99qmg3.jpg

26 April 1545

• Our court

35ko7l0.jpg

25 August 1550

• Les Cayes becomes a city.

7 October 1550
• Our new court

5nmc0k.jpg

Last edited: