• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PrawnStar

Alien Space Bat
36 Badges
Feb 21, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club

The Audacity of Hope

An Iroquois IN AAR

The game is IN 3.1 Very Hard. All settings default except Lucky Nations to Random. Following on from my posts of surviving as Maya until 1821 someone asked if that was possible as Iroquois. I doubt it but all we have to fear is fear itself* so let’s try it and see what happens

The only goal is to survive as long as possible.

This will be a gameplay AAR so questions and comments are very welcome. I hope people can learn a little from this AAR. I also hope it will be shorter than For God's Sake!

* We should also fear annexation

Last edited:
Chapter One
Talking the Talk

Iroquois start as a Tribal Democracy in the New World Tech group and Shamanist. That is unstable, incapable of progress and simple to annex. I mean to do something about this; before being annexed by some passing European, quite possibly Mantua, Meissen or Ryazan*.

Domestic Policies and the Known World

EU3_1.jpg

The known world, actually that should probably be the unknown world; the Great Spirit Rumsfeld speaks much sense on this matter.

The cost of reaching a high enough level of government tech to escape Tribal Democracy for something more suited to the modern world is too high for Iroquois without outside help (currently at 138 of 131040 for Gov’t 1 – due May 2668). Westernisation is the answer. Westernisation is however, somewhat tricky to do. I need a Latin tech neighbour, a ruler with admin skill 6 and be three points Innovative and 2 points Centralised. That’s 10 slider moves taking about 100 years.

Once I’ve westernised tech costs will fall and I should get the option at some point to adopt a non-tribal government. The problem of anyone who occupies my provinces being able to seize them on the spot doesn’t go away. All research will be directed at Gov’t tech – it might just be crucial in the post westernisation race to Gov’t level 10 needed to convert a Tribal Democracy into a Noble Republic.

Foreign policy is basically about annexing Huron – I’ll probably try and do that in such a way I get cores straight away from completing missions.

Religious decisions – Shamanists have two, both worth doing. The first, ‘Encourage Divination’ is -1 Revolt Risk for +5% stab cost, the second ‘Introduce Vision Quest’ +1% Prestige for +5% stab cost.

* All inland OPMs

Reactions:
Looks interesting. I'm going to follow this one. Good luck. :)

I tried it with the Hurons on Eu3. It was a very nice game. I westernised quickly (1549) and shortly after that got the best king I ever had. So I thought that this would be the time for government change. I changed the save file to noble republic and -3 stab. The rest of the game was catching up in tech and conquering much of canada and the north of the united states.

Good luck, but then again you did a great job with the mayans.

When you got First Contact, don't forget to change your leader to Chief Barack Obama and give him stats of 10 (at least a DIP 10!), just for the epicness. :)

Until then, it's EU3 on autopilot for you. Well, except for the occasional core missions against the doomed Hurons.

Definately something I'll watch. Have you thought about trying to be Cherokee? I think they're in a better position, having more land to conquer/vassalize. Also, wouldn't it be worthwhile to shift to tribal despotism, as I think that allows a government shift at govt tech 1 (or maybe 2)?

Also, if you plan on conquering Huron, how will you deal with the events that occur when you have more than 10 provinces and tribal govt?

Good luck!

When you got First Contact, don't forget to change your leader to Chief Barack Obama and give him stats of 10 (at least a DIP 10!), just for the epicness. :)

Until then, it's EU3 on autopilot for you. Well, except for the occasional core missions against the doomed Hurons.

84.gif

I’ve tried playing Navajo with WWM before and I was bored to tears twenty years in. Either way you deserve to be commended for the attempt and for choosing such a charged title. At least I can expect these pages to be honest. ;) Expect me to be around, sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong (anything beyond 1.3 :D

I'm definately looking forward to this! :D

I don't envy you though, once you've suitably beat up on everyone I expect there's going to be a lot of waiting around for the europeans to turn up.

I'm sure you'll make a fine show out of it, all the same. :cool:

The AAR's title is a reference to a phrase -- well, actually it is the phrase -- made famous by being the title for Mr. Obama's autobiographical memoir, as well as his landmark 2004 convention speech that transformed his career.

Considering the current events (which we obviously won't go into detail on as 1. this is not the right forum and 2. it's not about the AAR), I presume that's where our author here hears it from and likes how it sounds for his Herculean challenge. You kind of need to be rather...audacious and hopeful, to expect to survive the conquistadors as a New World nation in this game.

Plus, I think having a 10-stats leader for once is epic. I mean, it's impossible without direct editing, so..!

Your best bet is to seize a not-yet-finished colony of Christians, get peace, then kick them until they rebel so that they force convert you to Christianity.

I will really be looking forward to this AAR, specially after seeing your maya screens, best of the lucks!

Let me guess:

"In 1399 I moved a slider toward innovative, then set game speed to 5. 11 years later I made another slider move toward innovative. I set it to turbo-speed until I got a random event giving me -1 prestige, and then made another slider move toward..."

:p