• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Duke of Wellington

Khan
8 Badges
Sep 4, 2005
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
shield_swe.png

Welcome to Sweden – A Baltic Quest. A few formal details before I begin. This will be a gameplay type AAR. I’m playing vanilla For the Glory using the 1617 Age of Mercantilism scenario. I have a quest. That quest is to capture the entire coast of the Baltic Sea, for the glory of Sweden (can you guess how I came up with the AAR title?). I believe that is all of the formal details out of the way.
baltic_lands_1661.jpg

Sweden by 1661. I hope to be doing better.

Last edited:
Go crush the Danes dukey!

Duke! An AAR of yours always promises excellence.:D

I can't wait! I fascinating country with interesting goals.

Good luck! Also I haven't played EU2 before, so it would be interesting for me to watch your action.
Cool, I hope I can get you interested enough to try it some time.

Excellent. Carry on.
I will then.

Go crush the Danes dukey!
I certainly will.

Duke! An AAR of yours always promises excellence.:D

I can't wait! I fascinating country with interesting goals.
Thanks, I hope it stays interesting.

shield_swe.png

ScreenSave42.jpg

Sweden starts very nicely in the 1617 scenario. A triple 9 king is not someone you argue against. There is also a nice fat treasury. But this is quickly blown on the need to build governors all around the country.
3.jpg

The economy is steady but fairly small. Enough to support an army of between 40 and 50 thousand. Starting in 1617 there is already a considerable amount of inflation in the economy, but fortunately soon after beginning the game I get a deflation event.
9.jpg

1.jpg

The aim of this game as Sweden will be to get complete hegemony of the Baltic. I define this region beginning at the entrance to the North Sea and have highlighted all the required provinces below. That’s a total of 15 provinces still to get owned by seven other countries. These are Poland (2), Courland (1), Brandenburg (2), Pommern (2), Mecklenburg (1), Holstein (1) and Denmark (6).
2.png

It is a reasonably diverse region culturally as the nice new culture mapmode below shows
12-1.jpg

Sweden starts with fairly sparse diplomatic relations. Only a vassal and ally in Mecklenburg count as positive relations.
7.jpg

CB are provided by claims on five other provinces. These should ease the trouble of getting the Baltic under control.
8.jpg

I soon start thinking about my first target. I have a CB on Poland for the province on Livland. Plus they own the tasty CoT of Danzig, needed for the goal of owning the Baltic but also very nice in its own right. I intend to let the game play out a little and see if Russia or Austria takes on Poland first making my battle with them even easier.
10.jpg

Danzig guarded by a moderate army. Sweden starts with a nice navy to help command the Baltic waves

Unfortunately Russia decide not to declare war on Poland, instead turning on me.
4.jpg

They are presumably motivated by the possibility of taking the multiple provinces of mine which they have cores on.
5.jpg

I’m not overly concerned by the declaration of war. Until I see their allies that is. Denmark and Holstein. This means that me and my faithful ally Mecklenburg will be fighting on all fronts. Hopefully I’m not squeezed too tight.
6.jpg

Russia’s declaration of war brings me into conflict on all sides. Even Mecklenburg won’t be safe.

You appear to be surrounded.

Still, if you manage to hold off teh bear a nice excuse to snag a province or two from the perfidious Danes.

I say let the winter kill the Russians.

Yep. They'll never expect it!

Definitely grab Gotland, Jamtland, and Skane if you can.

Oh yes, a Duke of Wellington AAR :cool:.

Perhaps a little twist of humour from time to time? I loved it in your older works.

You have a more ambitious goal than I used to have in my Pomeranian AAR, though on the other hand I played it on quite a different map, and started as a two province minor... Let's see how you fare ;).

Threatened from everywhere, but a moderate army in Finland waiting for the best time to strike (obviously winter) and your fleet blocking the Sund will prevent Sweden proper to be too directly attacked.

Ostlandet is also a very goold province to assiege because unless the rest of Norway it have a better winter, and taking it would pretty much Denmark's position in the north.

Anyway, good luck and I'll be watching. :)

Yeah, no surprise to see Russia jump quickly. Probably saw you poking around Danzig and decided they couldn't have that. ;)

Great to see a new AAR from you, Duke! Good luck.

Don't worry, as Swedes are superior everything elseand Danes are inferior to everything else, you will suceed!

Very interesting! I once tried to create a similar 'mare nostrum' with papal states. But that was in my 'F12' days.
It didn't work out that well, as I had to conquer all of the ottoman empire, keep lots of unwanted provinces for ages untill I had their capital and the few other provinces I needed.
Fortunatly you don't need a big country's capital. If you won't let prussia appear, that is.

Game looks nice and will you take province from Russia, if you win? :D

Also anyone know that FtG supports intel graphic card? Do I need things like blue map mod if I play it?
See the FAQ, the game's system requirements are really basic, it should work on practically any system :).