• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another new game setup option in 2.2 'Le Guin' is the option to reduce or entirely remove the number of guaranteed habitable worlds that normally spawn next to empire home systems. For those who want to have a truly random galaxy to explore, now you can!

DrzQJZFWoAEGqWW.jpg

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1061952810445619202
Thanks!!! <3

It looks like--as a non-gestalt empire--befriending a megacorp is important, both for the planetary rewards and because it's the most effective defense against criminal branch offices. What if the RNG gods are unkind, and the only megacorps in the galaxy have Criminal Heritage? Obviously, you could wipe them out, but then you don't have any megacorps at all. I wonder if there will be a casus belli to turn a criminal megacorp respectable.

Criminal Heritage is permanent. It can't be removed or added after game start. They aren't likely to make a CB for that, since there isn't one to stop purifiers from being purifiers or despoilers from being despoilers. Unless you specifically set a bunch of Criminal megacorps into your game, the chance is likely quite low. It's decided by one civic out of a list, which would mean unless it's weighted in favor (not likely) then it'll be a reasonably uncommon occurrence, likely same with megachurches.

If you know a criminal megacorp is out there, make sure you properly police your worlds. As I recall, they said in one of the streams that if you have enough enforcers they can randomly shut down criminal branch offices.

Criminal Heritage is permanent. It can't be removed or added after game start. They aren't likely to make a CB for that, since there isn't one to stop purifiers from being purifiers or despoilers from being despoilers. Unless you specifically set a bunch of Criminal megacorps into your game, the chance is likely quite low. It's decided by one civic out of a list, which would mean unless it's weighted in favor (not likely) then it'll be a reasonably uncommon occurrence, likely same with megachurches.

If you know a criminal megacorp is out there, make sure you properly police your worlds. As I recall, they said in one of the streams that if you have enough enforcers they can randomly shut down criminal branch offices.

You can’t remove it normally, but civics like FP can be removed in some cases, such as the chosen one event to change to a divine empire. I wouldn’t be surprised if a liberation wargoal removes criminal Megacorps, they don’t get targeted by “end threat” style war goals. It’s even more insidious because there is no way to get that civic *back*. Could be the ultimate troll ....

i express myself badly, they wont get to rule strata , ( but they could become merchant if you have no full right popts disponible for them ) , in case a planet don't have any pops if not the reisdence right ones , if you want them to pick only lower strata, there is problaby a policy for that ( if not full slavery itself) ; but i think that logic dictate that some jobs need to be made , to make a colony-city work , so if there is noone of the ruling pops avaible , the job is momentarly given to residents .
Well I thought this for a while as well, but then I realised it can't be like this. It must be possible - acceptable even - to have long-term un-filled jobs, because what do you think's gonna happen if you build 6 mining districts on a world with 1 pop? The job vacancies are going to stay vacant. And if the mechanics for vacancy exist, then I have no trouble believing they apply to Ruler jobs too.

Now, vacant Ruler jobs might (should!) tank your stability and lead to the planet rebelling, thereby incentivising you to change your species rights policy (or do some resettling).

Yes
YES!!
They have noted our little debate earlier in this thread, (as well as the many threads discussing this) and FINALLY decided to let us remove the Gauranteed habital planets entirely during galaxy generation!
You people are insane, nearby habitable worlds was the non-issue of all non-issues.
I resent all of you for making Wiz waste time on this nonsense.
In fact, it's worse than that - you're making him waste time unbalancing the game. It's not just a waste of time, it's a step backwards.

You people are insane, nearby habitable worlds was the non-issue of all non-issues.
In fact, it's worse than that - you're making him waste time unbalancing the game. It's not just a waste of time, it's a step backwards.

1. Wiz doesn't do 100% of all coding and UI work.
2. Choices are good.
3. All taste preferences are non-issues. So? o_O
4. There's never a need for name-calling.
5. How can a toggle for a pre-existing mechanic possibly be a step backwards?
6. You're making this seem like its a far bigger issue than any one of us has..

Last edited:
1. Wiz doesn't do 100% of all coding and UI work.
2. Choices are good.
3. All taste preferences are non-issues. So? o_O
4. There's never a need for name-calling.
5. How can a toggle for a pre-existing mechanic possibly be a step backwards?
6. You're making this seem like its a far bigger issue than any one of us has..
"Choices are good", "Toggles are good" could be used as shibboleths for "I don't understand how game design works".

Choices are NOT good and toggles are NOT good because it then requires the devs to balance the game around 2^N different possible iterations of the settings instead of, y'know, one.

We're never going to get a lean, balanced game experience with mechanics that actually fit together if every single person is playing their own bespoke version of the rules.

"Choices are good", "Toggles are good" could be used as shibboleths for "I don't understand how game design works".

Choices are NOT good and toggles are NOT good because it then requires the devs to balance the game around 2^N different possible iterations of the settings instead of, y'know, one.

We're never going to get a lean, balanced game experience with mechanics that actually fit together if every single person is playing their own bespoke version of the rules.
I do see your point, and I've never actually thought of it that way. I guess it's one of the problems with building games like PDx does, with all the stuff they add, bugs, balance, etc. must be a huge pain. I remember when strategy games consisted of "barracks," "war factory," a few tech buildings and maybe a "super weapon." Damn, how things have changed.

Well with that mindset let's thank the love of the Worm that you're not in charge of the games development process.

Choices are good
Period

The AI seems to colonize all planets regardless of habitability anyway, so I fail to see any balance issue whatsoever.

There really aren't any imbalances. Mods, including my own, have easily proven that.

It's just that some select members of this community have got it etched in their head that the reason the guraunteed planets were put there ware for balance reasons, when In reality it was originally put there as an AI handicap. But thanks to AI improvments and changes to how habitability works its no longer necessary and a game can play out just fine with or without.

But I understand how some players still like to avoid the chance of the games RNG potentially spawning the player in a particularly devoid area of the Galaxy, so I'm glad they made it a toggle instead of outright removing it.

Just keep using the guaranteed habitable worlds and let other people choose the setting they want

Guaranteed planets do help balance, can't argue that. But perfect balance is not always required. If you play competitive MP then you definitely want starting conditions to be as equal as possible for all players. But if you are going for sandbox/RP playthrough, then uneven starts may give you more diverse situations, various challenges and more interesting outcomes.

Like, one game you may be local superpower starting with 5 good planets next to each other, the next one you get 2 tiny planets crammed between maradeurs and advanced hegemonic imperialists and have to find your way to survival. It improves replayability, doesn't it? ;)

Not all choices are good. This one is.

Paradox doesn't give a flying ffff about balancing all 2^n paths. If they did, they probably woulda done something about the worm letting you have intelligerudite physingeneers. They're more worried about making an enjoyable game.

If you want a game without choices that unbalance things, go play chess.

And my point is that this little change adds value to the game by giving you more diverse situations and more variety in your decisions. Replayability is one of virtues of Stellaris and option for more random starts makes it better.

'course you can RP from even start, I never said you can't. But knowing that there are always 2 planets next door is a spoiler of galactic proportions and it kind of lessens the joy of exploring uncharted void. At some point it gets just boring.

Edit: someone just wiped a couple comments above o_O

Thanks to whomever made this change. Definitely something I'll be using for sure.
I mean If it wasn't done I wouldn't have demanding it either but it's there now, might as well make use of it.

I won't be using the space cadet difficulty, but I don't begrudge someone using it who needs help. When I play CK2 and EU4 I still set it to easy, so can understand its inclusion.

The devs don't balance the game for non-default settings in the first place, so that's a moot point.

It’s pretty clear they balance for the default version of the rules. You can set up a game in a variety of crazy and broken ways if you want. You can pursue crazy combinations with the worm.

That stuff is unbalanced but also not a problem.

A good example of a balance problem is Mining Guilds being the correct choice in basically every situation.