• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ZomgK3tchup

Into the Future
128 Badges
Dec 25, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Galactic Doorstep is mechanically underwhelming and doesn't offer anything interesting that changes the early game.

Here are a few suggestions to rectify this:

1. Add more events about the gateway spewing out random objects. This can work somewhat like Scion where the player receives random buffs, anything from alloys to research caches to salvageable event ships. I believe there are already a few of these in-game, but they're infrequent and pretty negligible.

2. Add an additional archeology site to your home system. Galactic Doorstep seems, in part, based on Mass Effect where humanity discovered a mass relay in its home system. An additional piece of Mass Effect's lore is that there were other places in the Sol System that were home to other precursor ruins. Here's an excerpt from the Mass Effect Wiki:

In 2148, a prospecting team led by Mateus Silva began exploring near the Deseado Crater, and found the source of these disturbances when they unearthed a subterranean Prothean ruin. The ruins contained a malfunctioning mass effect core and several starships, as well as refined element zero. After a global effort, the information remaining in the ruins' computers was translated, identifying the structure as a former observation and biosciences station, set up to receive and process data from Earth as the Protheans studied Cro-Magnon humans.

The motives and conclusions of the Prothean observers remained unknown, but the ruins' data cache, though fragmented, accelerated human sciences by roughly two hundred years. It paved the way for the development of FTL drives and, later, mass effect field technology.
Link

An additional archeology site would be an easy and interesting buff, especially if there are multiple outcomes/options as to what this buff entails.

3. Add at least one other gateway within 5-10 jumps of your starting system. One gateway by itself isn't very useful. There should be at least one other gateway for the player to find that's far enough to meaningfully cut travel time but close enough that the player can take its system within the first few decades.

4. Put something interesting on the other side of the gateway. This would ideally be added alongside the third suggestion where there is at least one other gateway for find. The system with that gateway should have something interesting (like a habitable planet or buff) and worth fighting over.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:

Might want to put your suggestions here in this thread and work with this op to merge ideas :)

Might want to put your suggestions here in this thread and work with this op to merge ideas :)
I saw that thread the other day but decided to make my own.

His suggestion is more story-focused whereas I wanted to keep mine generic. I’m not saying they wouldn’t work together well, but I figured they’d be better in separate threads.

• 1Like
Reactions: