• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 114 - February 1102
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 114
February 1102 - Anjou, France

He did not understand how she had so much energy.

Foulques fell onto his back, breathing heavy, sweat glistening from his forehead. The chill of the room was probably unhealthy, but it felt good to cool off.

A glance over toward Ness revealed a sly grin on her moon-shaped face.

“Did you enjoy yourself, husband?” she asked.

He said nothing and her grin blossomed into a full on smile. Her confidence was higher than it may have ever been - she freely called him her husband now, even in Anjou, though she was at least smart enough to do it in private.

Her hand came to rest on the reason for that - her very swollen belly. A child likely conceived on the ill-fated hunt Philippe arranged, or perhaps in the days that followed.

The king’s final gift has proved even more lasting than expected.

Had he not named his last son with Haldora after the late king, he would have strongly considered doing so for this one. If it was a girl, he did consider “Philippa” as a possibility.

But it would be another son, if Ness was to be believed. Her reasons… well as he saw her feel around her swell, he knew he was to hear them again now.

“He kicks me,” she said, her smile now running ear to ear.

“Your nonsense with that,” Foulques said. “You do not know what you carry.”

“It is another boy,” Ness insisted. “He already knows he must defend his home… his keep. I am his keep, for now, and you are an invader. It is why he kicks hardest after we couple.”

Stupidity, but stupidity he would not mind turning out to be true. He was not sure why, but he did prefer she birth another son. His legacy likely secure between Geoffrey, the two Foulques - Geoffrey’s son and his own, Guilhem and Philippe. And yet, it would add to the certainty.

It also was pleasant to see Ness in such a joyous mood - she still beamed as she awkwardly maneuvered her swollen body to get some water - a stark contrast to what occurred around her. He might have joined her, but he was feeling the cold more strongly now, and decided to pull the linens over himself instead.

The court of Anjou had gone into near-total seclusion due to the smallpox epidemic that had now reached the county.

It had not gotten terribly serious yet - cases were being reported but it was not widespread - yet he could not take chances. Admittance to the keep was curtailed and no one was permitted to leave except on business of the utmost importance. Even Herve had been pulled off command of the Angevin levy in Poitou - which was now being commanded by the old mayor of Saumur, Renaud. A veteran of all of Foulques’ wars, he thought the old man able to handle crushing the paltry resistance Duchess Patricia was likely to offer.

The seclusion had begun not long after the coronation of Hugues, and by now, especially as they moved into the cold, dark winter months, the mood had dimmed in the keep.

“Are you not cold?” he asked as Ness stood at the table, drinking a cup of water, without so much as a robe to keep her warm.

“I run hot these days,” she said. “And do you not admire what you see?”

Ness’ brattiness had been curbed in her words, but her body language and expressions still exuded it - and made things difficult when Haldora saw her.

Foulques had done his best to avoid that - but with the keep locked down, it was hard to stop, even as Ness practically lived in Foulques’ chambers these days and did not leave them frequently. When she did, it was to visit her youngest sister Macarose. And only Macarose - Foulques learned through Alearde and Agnes that Ness and Marguerite were not talking.

Speaking of his daughter, he eagerly awaited news that she was with child, figuring the seclusion would at least help that along. But Agnes had said nothing of the matter to him.

Given that Agnes already had a daughter, there was no question of her ability to have children. It was early yet… but Foulques could not shake the fear that perhaps he had erred in allowing Henri to marry her.

Chancellor Godfrey was not present to see such doubts. He was in Normandy, dealing with the Prince, now Duke, Alphonse and discussions regarding the potential union with Bella.

1102_Bella.jpg

1102_Alphonse_and_Bella.jpg

It had been met with some initial skepticism, as she was only a bastard. But the value of having both Anjou and Aquitaine as potential allies proved too much of a tantalizing prospect for a prince whose grip on his place in the realm was tenuous. So it looked more and more that such a deal would be done soon.

He still had not told Bella of it - but he had Agnes and Alearde, the latter of whom practically lept into his arm. Foulques did warn her nothing was final yet, but Alearde’s smile seemed permanently re-attached to her face now - at least when she saw him.

And that proved to be even better than Ness’ joy, though the latter provided him with other types of pleasure.

Ness returned to the bed and moaned: “I am cold now. Hold me.”

Foulques pressed himself against her before wrapping his arms around her. She pulled his hand to her belly. Sure enough, it was not long before he could feel the squirming under his fingertips.

A knock on the door. Sufficiently cooled from before, Foulques did not wish to leave the warmth of his lover. But it was the steward Guilhem, and Foulques could not hear what he would try to say behind a closed door and across the chamber.

He pulled over a long shirt and made a dash - the cold floor quickening his pace - to make it to the door.

“My lord,” Guilhem said, “Your son has arrived.”

It was expected. Despite the lockdown on the keep, certain exceptions were permitted and Geoffrey, representing royal business qualified. He travelled to Anjou by boat to avoid the smallpox-afflicted areas the best he could. With parts of Tours still unaffected, it was possible.

“I will be down soon,” Foulques said. “Have his sister entertain him.”

Guilhem nodded and the door was closed. Foulques made another quick dash across the room only to be met by Ness’ pouting face.

“Do not leave me,” she purred. “I am still cold… at least on the outside.”

“It is Geoffrey,” Foulques told her.

“I heard who it was,” she said.

Apparently, her hearing is better than mine, he thought.

“Do you plan on having him stay in the same chamber as my sister?” Ness asked.

It drew a laugh out of Foulques. “He is the king’s chancellor, so I must be a little more guarded in how I deal with him.”

“He is still your son,” Ness said. “And he can be made to wait. He probably wishes to see his son. And after that, I am sure his sister will be happy to keep him occupied - she likely will be happy to see a different face for once. Besides - he comes to you. Did he not make you wait?”

An act already repaid, Foulques thought. But the invitation of his lover proved too hard to resist as he crawled back into bed with her. Once more she adjusted his hands, to make certain one rested on her belly and other on her breast. Meanwhile she rubbed her backside into him.

“How do you manage such energy?” Foulques asked her.

“You cause it, my love,” she said. “I see you, and feel our son move within me… and my desires overwhelm me. Do you not approve? Would you rather I suppress those urges?”

Her pouting lips formed a frown, and he knew at once it was not a serious question. Of course, he also suspected she played up such desires, but he could hardly complain.

It was what he had dreamed of. And so he began to kiss her neck… only to have her push him flat on his back and then heft herself on top to begin…

And his mind drifted, once more, to her mother.
….

Foulques found Geoffrey with his sister Agnes in the strategy hall.

The two appeared in a deep conversation but Foulques did not catch any of it, as when he closed the door, it got their attention, with Agnes pulling her cloak and shawl close tight around her.

“Do I interrupt important negotiations?” Foulques asked as he walked over, coming up beside his daughter. “Geoffrey has not tried to sell you on whatever the king hopes to push upon Anjou, has he?”

“No father,” Agnes replied. Her eyes fixated on her brother. “Geoffrey knows he cannot simply have his way with me, no matter how much he desires it.”

Geoffrey smirked at his sister. “You should have more faith in your daughter, father. She is not so easily cowed.”

“I do have faith in her,” Foulques said. “She is my regent. It is you I am not always certain of.”

“And here I thought we had come to a new understanding,” Geoffrey said. “Especially as Poitou goes well. I received word your man Renaud has taken Chatellerault by storm.”

“And what do your men do?” Foulques asked.

“We retake Saintonge,” Geoffrey said. “I thought it important - mother always said how you desired for it to once again fly our banner.”

1102_Saintonge_and_Poiters_occupied.jpg

“If you have no further need of me, father,” Agnes said. “I will leave you two.”

Foulques motioned that she could leave, though she and Geoffrey shared an embrace and kiss before she did. The elder duke did notice she gave her brother an odd, perhaps dirty, look before she left the hall.

“What was that?” Foulques asked.

“What was what?” Geoffrey asked.

“Your sister seemed… annoyed almost,” Foulques said as he poured himself some wine. “What did you say to her?”

Geoffrey grew wide-eyed for a moment. Picked up the cup on the table and swirled the contents before looked back at his father. “I think she did not like what I had to say of her husband.”

“And what did you have to say on her husband?” Foulques asked.

“I… accidentally spoke that I did not find him the most impressive,” Geoffrey replied.

“You let slip, is more like it,” Foulques said. “I do not think a word escapes your mouth without being carefully thought out.”

“I do not know whether that is a compliment,” Geoffrey admitted.

“Neither do I,” Foulques said. “So you dislike Henri. Why? I find little to dislike about him.”

“There is little to him,” Geoffrey said. “Which is an insult to my sister. She is a beautiful, wise woman who has saved the realm on one occasion. She should be the wife of an important man, not some insignificant welp.”

“Do you see any important men who desired her as their wife?” Foulques asked.

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “I see one every day.”

Foulques did not expect to hear that. “What… what do you mean?”

Geoffrey shook his head. “The King of the Franks himself. He asked me directly if I believed he could have her hand just days after I became Chancellor. I regretted to inform him she had already been wed, to… well, her current husband.”

Now it was Foulques’ turn to grow wide-eyed. Agnes could have been a queen, had he waited another couple of months? After all these years… it seemed like a cruel joke.

“The king is married…” Foulques replied.

“He was not,” Geoffrey said. “He looked for a wife. He eventually settled on a daughter of a knight who served him when he was Bishop. Young thing. Just 16, though quite pretty.”

“But he asked for Agnes?” Foulques asked. “Specifically her?”

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “He fears becoming too reliant on Champagne so he wished to avoid marrying one of his daughters. Instead, he looked to my sister.”

“I do not believe this,” Foulques replied.

“As I said, my sister is a desirable woman on her own,” Geoffrey said. “And she comes with your friendship as well. When I learned of her marriage, I thought for certain that she was with child, and this was meant to save face. But she is not… and…”

“Enough,” Foulques told him. “I will not have you lecture me about how to handle my children’s marriages.”

“No, you are the expert,” Geoffrey said. “I know first hand.”

Foulques glared at him. “Perhaps I should pass back to the king how his chancellor antagonizes his most powerful vassal. I wonder what he shall say.”

Geoffrey sighed. “My apologies, father. I was out of line.”

“Humility,” Foulques said. “A change for you.”

“As you say, I represent the king,” Geoffrey said. “I do him a disservice if my conduct is poor.”

Foulques smirked. “And what representing of the king are you here to do?”

“Actually, as it turns out, to discuss marriages and what not,” Geoffrey replied. “There is talk you are close to sealing something with Duke Alphonse. Bella?”

Foulques eyed Geoffrey before nodding. “You hear right.”

“Is it done?” Geoffrey asked.

“Nearly,” Foulques said. “I have Godfrey there now. When he returns, we shall likely finalize things.”

“Nearly… but not completely,” Geoffrey said. “Which is good, because the king would strongly urge you to reconsider.”

“Urge me to reconsider?” Foulques replied. “He is unhappy that I would marry my daughter to his rival?”

“Duke Alphonse of Valois is not a rival of the king, for his father was not the rightful king of the realm,” Geoffrey said.

“Valois?” Foulques asked. “What is this Valois?”

“Yes, Alphonse has declared that is what he is to be called, rather than of Normandy,” Geoffrey said.

1102_Alphonse_of_Valois.jpg

The boy gets hung up on names when there is much bigger things to focus on,
Foulques thought.

“But yes,” Geoffrey said. “The king believes there is opportunity for our house alongside his.”

“Of course he does,” Foulques said. “He wishes to placate me.”

“And he wishes to free himself,” Geoffrey said. “Champagne has his hooks in him, and he looks for alternatives. I suspect the death of Philippe and the attempted murder of the royals have shaken him.”

“Shaken so much that Odo still lives,” Foulques said.

“The king has removed himself from that,” Geoffrey said. “It is a conflict between Alphonse and Champagne.”

Foulques chuckled. “The king certainly finds convenient times to excuse himself.”

“I agree,” Geoffrey replied, sly grin on his lips. “I merely pass on what is.”

“And I shall pass this on,” Foulques said. “If he wishes me to not go through with the marriage between Alphonse and Bella, he should provide me a better offer.”

“Why do you think I am here, father?” Geoffrey asked. “Bella could be duchess, now, yes. Or she could be queen later.”

“Queen?” Foulques asked. “Does Hugues already grow tired of his wife?”

Geoffrey laughed. “He is not you father. No, he seeks a bride for his son, Prince Henri.”

The older duke was still adjusting his thoughts to the idea that someone else was now second in line. He had seen Henri at the coronation, and briefly during his father’s accepting of oaths. The boy, around 20 summers, actually reminded him quite a bit of his uncle Philippe.

1102_Prince_Henri.jpg

Foulques had heard a few positive things about him, but not much beyond it.

“Prince Henri,” Foulques said. “What do you know of him?”

“Little,” Geoffrey admitted. “His father speaks with pride of him, but I have met him for but a few moments in Melun during the swearing of oaths and the first council meeting after. He then returned to Bayeux, much to his father’s disappointment.”

Foulques, for a moment, felt a bit of sympathy toward the king over a son who did not heed his father’s counsel. But he returned to the matter at hand.

“So the king wishes to marry Bella to Prince Henri?” Foulques asked.

“That he does,” Geoffrey said. “Champagne, as he did with the king’s own marriage, presents his daughter. But… as with that, the king wishes a peace offering - a union between our houses.”

“And you believe him?” Foulques asked.

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “And I also believes he wishes us to potentially put Champagne in his place. But… I do not think you would mind that these days.”

“I have no more wish to be a pawn of a king than I do Champagne,” Foulques said.

“Neither do I,” Geoffrey noted. “But this marriage does not do that. It positions us well, but does not commit us. And… think how happy Alearde will be when she learns of it.”

“What do you know of that?” Foulques demanded.

“Did I say something wrong father?” Geoffrey asked.

“How do you know she was happy over the possible marriage of Bella to Alphonse?!” he demanded.

“Agnes told me,” Geoffrey replied.

That would make sense, Foulques realized. The two did just speak, and Agnes would know.

“Your daughter… my sister… Queen of the Franks,” Geoffrey said. “A nice bit of influence, both now and in the future, don’t you think?”

Foulques eyed him. The future - Geoffrey likely was sold the moment he thought of what he would gain upon becoming Duke of Anjou.

But… it was tempting. And Alearde would be thrilled. There was no telling what she might do…

“What of Alphonse?” Foulques wondered aloud. “I am to toss aside a potentially powerful friend in the boy? Normandy comes with many troops. It was enough to conquer the Saxons for a time.”

Valois, father,” Geoffrey said. “And I do not think it would be wise to completely align with the king. But even if we give Bella to Henri, you have other daughters. Other bastard daughters, in fact…”

“Antoinette?” Foulques replied. “She’s a girl of six summers.”

“And Alphonse is a boy of 16,” Geoffrey said. “He will have to wait, but he will have our friendship in the meantime. Which is what he needs more than anything - a wife to give him children does nothing if he has nothing to give them, or he dies first.”

“He will not like it,” Foulques said.

“But he will accept it,” Geoffrey said. “You are the most powerful single man in the realm, father. Everyone knows it. Alphonse is not so sure in himself that he can allow you to ally with the king without response. He will take what you give him, if it means a chance to keep up. And… it means we are not committed on either side.”

“What of Henri marrying Antoinette?” Foulques wondered.

“I asked,” Geoffrey admitted. “The king is insistent on Bella.”

“And you did not argue against him?” Foulques demanded.

“Why?” Geoffrey asked. “I think this is beneficial to us. And we do not wish to lose out further to Champagne. Furthermore, I am the king’s chancellor father. I cannot completely put aside his desires for those of our family. I would not last long if I did.”

Foulques stood in silence, contemplating. Geoffrey made good points. And whether he wished to admit it or not, his son did seem to be quite capable at negotiations such as these. Of course, he could not shake the feeling Geoffrey negotiated for himself, rather than the both of them.

He preferred a marriage of Bella to Alphonse because he had come so far in talks, and he felt almost obligated by his final conversation with Philippe. On the other hand… the opportunity was great.

I saved your son Philippe, Foulques thought. And I will not abandon him, just not give him everything.

“Tell the king I agree to the union,” Foulques said. “When does he wish for the wedding?”

“Excellent, father,” Geoffrey replied. “June. He will be very pleased to hear of your acceptance. And if you want… I can try to smooth over matters with Alphonse when I next head to Rouen.”

“No,” Foulques said. “Remain out of that.”

“As you wish,” Geoffrey replied. He raised his cup. “It has been a pleasure father, for a change. To the future of Anjou… and the realm!”

Foulques chuckled and raised his cup as well. “Yes, to the future.”

1102_Bella_and_Prince_Henri.jpg

1102_Alphonse_and_Antoinette.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Encouraging that everyone is comfortable enough that they make marriage proposals and alliances rather than plotting immediately to start wars and revolt. Maybe France can recover for a few years before the hammer falls. Both the old king's son and Toulouse showing interest and going off to Spain however raises my interest...

Reactions:
Given the situation in the realm it is no surprise the marriage market is in over drive. Everyone frantic to secure what friends and alliances they can.

Reactions:
Playing both sides, you dog! No matter, both leave you in a strong position.

Well done!

Edit: I think that aforementioned game mechanic just became a whole lot clearer lol.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
These marriages reminded me of Foulques other legitimate and ilegitimate sons, Geoffrey will just have to hope that none of them decide to become an adventurer.

• 1Like
Reactions:
After such a period of civil discord, good to see a couple of very prestigious weddings/betrothals sealed. Geoffrey’s influence is growing, and you can see his status as Chancellor of France is even having an effect on Foulques’ entrenched opinion of him! All this bodes well for an eventual transition, when it comes.

In this case, I know you have to keep the character and narrative arc consistent, but balance it with your interests as the player as you seek to secure the future for Geoffrey and the Anjous. These are not mutually exclusive interests, but would not be as identically aligned in life as they are in game. Your careful and informed balance of those aspects, and the evolution of the father-son dynamic over time, has been one of the most impressive things about a very impressive story. Props, sir! :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I know I'm too late, but I just wanted to congratulate you on Foulques' Vader-like badassery. It just feels imposing and makes the character so much more interesting. Now I'm certain that he will indeed remain in the popular culture of this timeline for quite a while. The iron duke at rouen, the iron duke saving the "rightful" heir... Makes up for some fine grandfather bofire-storytelling, on winter nights...

• 1Like
Reactions:
You are truly a master at depicting complex dynastic plotting and contrivances and doing so in a way that is exciting and vital-one of, if not, the best. Love this exchange! Superb stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Although I doubt Foulques will see the day Antoinette weds Alphonse, I am not entirely sure which situation I would prefer to read - Alphonse rebelling and failing because the masked duke failed to support his faction, thus breaking his promise to the late king...
Or Alphonse succeeding and Belleassez becoming merely the wife of an usurpator bishop's son, thus ending up completely irrelevant, and Aléarde starting to hate Foulques for it. There's potential here for trouble if Foulques lives long enough.

As for Toulouse, he might follow both in Foulques' and Philippe's footprints. Expanding his influence outside the realm to gain more inside of it. And for someone who attacked the HRE, he definitely doesn't lack the courage to.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I particularly appreciated the line implying that Alearde's potential willingness to return to Foulques' bed was an important factor in his decision making. Personally I don't see it happening, of course. At least not immediately.

I'm sure that thought is running through Foulques' head, but I don't see him and Alearde getting back together, ever.

I think in order to actually win Alearde, the duke would have to experience a radical life-changing event that turns him from the fairly selfish creature he is, into something more generous and less self-serving. Like the chivalric ideal of William Worcester's Boke of Noblesse, or Ramon Llull's Book of the Ordre of Chyualry, Knyghthode and Bataile. Maintain and enhance the holy faith; defend his secular lord; keep justice and work for a common profit; protect the weak or the helpless; that kind of thing. Foulques is a little too ready to jettison justice, working for the common weal, faith, and so on in the process of looking out for number one. After all these decades, Alearde is undoubtedly all too aware of that particular weakness. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm sure that thought is running through Foulques' head, but I don't see him and Alearde getting back together, ever.

I think in order to actually win Alearde, the duke would have to experience a radical life-changing event that turns him from the fairly selfish creature he is, into something more generous and less self-serving. Like the chivalric ideal of William Worcester's Boke of Noblesse, or Ramon Llull's Book of the Ordre of Chyualry, Knyghthode and Bataile. Maintain and enhance the holy faith; defend his secular lord; keep justice and work for a common profit; protect the weak or the helpless; that kind of thing. Foulques is a little too ready to jettison justice, working for the common weal, faith, and so on in the process of looking out for number one. After all these decades, Alearde is undoubtedly all too aware of that particular weakness. ;)

I do agree with all that, no doubt. I guess I'm considering the possibility that there will be some sort of rapprochement towards the end of Foulques' life, a sort of recognition of Alearde as the love of Foulques' life. I have no expectation that she'll jump back into his bed in happiness at the match for Bella. Or that she will at all, just that there will be something at some point.

Of course even then it ends up bitter-sweet because it will just serve to underline the mistake Foulques made in not marrying Alearde after Beatritz' passing.

Reactions:
Somehow I missed Chapter 113 being posted and I want to say a few things about it first. So here we go.

I thought it was a great chapter and I truly enjoyed. It was like a plot to movie. I did love the "alter the deal" line. It was perfect. It was good to see some closure on the assassination of the king and Foulques fulfilling his promise to the king.

Now onto Chapter 114

First I enjoyed the verbal sparring between Foulques an Godfrey. It shows how far Godfrey has come as an adult and a lord. It is was fun to see Foulques reaction when he found out that his daughter could have done better and that her daughter would far exceed anything they thought she could. Hopefully Alphonse does not take offense to the situation and learns a lesson about power and how the game is played.

• 1Like
Reactions:
this is nice... when war breaks out, what side will Anjou take?

Reactions:
I'm getting a "calm before the storm" vibe from this latest chapter. It seems like everyone's watching and waiting for the other shoe to drop in the ongoing struggle between Hughes and Alphonse, and in the meantime they're sounding out one another, trying to sort out who's on one side or the other, and consolidating their own positions so as not to be caught off-guard. As Geoffrey notes, Foulques is right now the single most powerful man in all of France, so I imagine quite a few of those eyes are watching him...

Also:

“And what did you have to say on her husband?” Foulques asked.

“I… accidentally spoke that I did not find him the most impressive,” Geoffrey replied.

“You let slip, is more like it,” Foulques said. “I do not think a word escapes your mouth without being carefully thought out.”

“I do not know whether that is a compliment,” Geoffrey admitted.

“Neither do I,” Foulques said.

It's nice to see that Foulques and Geoffrey can agree on something, for a change :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Encouraging that everyone is comfortable enough that they make marriage proposals and alliances rather than plotting immediately to start wars and revolt. Maybe France can recover for a few years before the hammer falls. Both the old king's son and Toulouse showing interest and going off to Spain however raises my interest...

The major vassals are all busy at the moment which helps stabilize things. Foulques is the only exception (sort of - an epidemic and aiding Geoffrey in Poitou does limit me a tad). Toulouse is in the south, Geoffrey is fighting Patricia, Patricia is fighting Geoffrey, Peronelle is handling a rebellion against her, Arnulf is a child, Burgundy is fighting a civil war. Hugues basically comes in at a good time. (Even Philippe's issue toward the end was he'd drained his levy manpower to the point Champagne by himself could raise the forces to incite a rebellion) And Orleans and Gilles... jokes when it comes to power.

A side note - Gilles is completely irrelevant at the moment - he's not even on the council to influence things. It was one of the first times I actually moved against an AI character strictly for revenge and not for much hope of personal gain. So it was very, very satisfying.

Given the situation in the realm it is no surprise the marriage market is in over drive. Everyone frantic to secure what friends and alliances they can.

It actually turned into an opportune time for it. Hugues was not married because he was a bishop, Alphonse was not betrothed because he had been in Champagne's dungeon. Toulouse's wife actually died right after as well - so yeah, the regret over Agnes was real. She had few options for so long and then with two months she had at least two great options. It was like the game was taunting me.

Playing both sides, you dog! No matter, both leave you in a strong position.

Well done!

Edit: I think that aforementioned game mechanic just became a whole lot clearer lol.

A big goal is to avoid a king trying revoke a county off me. Having non-aggression pacts with both does prevent that. And it gave me the option to potentially use one Alphonse against Hugues, if need be.

But the game mechanics with Alphonse and Hugues... they prove to be the hardest aspect of this period when it comes to writing.

These marriages reminded me of Foulques other legitimate and ilegitimate sons, Geoffrey will just have to hope that none of them decide to become an adventurer.

It will be something he has to keep an eye on from a story standpoint, for sure. But from a gameplay standpoint, I usually don't mind adventurers - they tend to not bring enough troops to the fight (or have their armies arrive piecemeal) so I crush them and get the sweet 500 gold from banishing them.

After such a period of civil discord, good to see a couple of very prestigious weddings/betrothals sealed. Geoffrey’s influence is growing, and you can see his status as Chancellor of France is even having an effect on Foulques’ entrenched opinion of him! All this bodes well for an eventual transition, when it comes.

In this case, I know you have to keep the character and narrative arc consistent, but balance it with your interests as the player as you seek to secure the future for Geoffrey and the Anjous. These are not mutually exclusive interests, but would not be as identically aligned in life as they are in game. Your careful and informed balance of those aspects, and the evolution of the father-son dynamic over time, has been one of the most impressive things about a very impressive story. Props, sir! :)

As Foulques says, he has to treat Geoffrey a little differently just by virtue of his position. Their relationship and the ever-changing dynamics are going to be something that we return to quite a bit during this section.

Thanks. This a case where both benefit - and is thankfully easier to write. Geoffrey gets potential alliances he can use or discard in the future, while Foulques sets his bastard daughters up with a very high position. It made the slight disagreements more of a jockeying for position rather than a head-on collision between father and son. We've had enough of those lately. :)

I know I'm too late, but I just wanted to congratulate you on Foulques' Vader-like badassery. It just feels imposing and makes the character so much more interesting. Now I'm certain that he will indeed remain in the popular culture of this timeline for quite a while. The iron duke at rouen, the iron duke saving the "rightful" heir... Makes up for some fine grandfather bofire-storytelling, on winter nights...

No problem! Vader badassery can always be complimented. But the iron duke definitely will live on - whether it's as a heroic figure or a villain, may well depend on how he meshes with the next generation.

You are truly a master at depicting complex dynastic plotting and contrivances and doing so in a way that is exciting and vital-one of, if not, the best. Love this exchange! Superb stuff.

Thanks! Dynastic plotting is such a big part of CK2, it was nice to actually do some! I have actually done little of it since the start - it's been a lot of conquering and securing those gains. Even the AI's done more scheming than me with Geoffrey! But with more children now, I think we'll see it a bit more going forward.

Although I doubt Foulques will see the day Antoinette weds Alphonse, I am not entirely sure which situation I would prefer to read - Alphonse rebelling and failing because the masked duke failed to support his faction, thus breaking his promise to the late king...
Or Alphonse succeeding and Belleassez becoming merely the wife of an usurpator bishop's son, thus ending up completely irrelevant, and Aléarde starting to hate Foulques for it. There's potential here for trouble if Foulques lives long enough.

As for Toulouse, he might follow both in Foulques' and Philippe's footprints. Expanding his influence outside the realm to gain more inside of it. And for someone who attacked the HRE, he definitely doesn't lack the courage to.

It's a 10 year wait and... well you're right. Foulques won't see it. (Semi-spoiler - he has less than 10 years left but with the way I write, that could easily be another 20-30 chapters)

Both are possibilities - but I'd actually probably rather to be Bella than Antoinette in that circumstance. Foulques almost certainly values Alearde over Philippe, especially given he sees one and won't see the other again.

You are correct on Toulouse. The next update spells out his war. As promised, he's headed south. But... things may be different this time.

I particularly appreciated the line implying that Alearde's potential willingness to return to Foulques' bed was an important factor in his decision making. Personally I don't see it happening, of course. At least not immediately.

Foulques has never given up on the hope. This was actually reflective of me. I did want them to get back together! But would the game let me...

You make a lot of good points. Honestly, even if he did all of that, I don't know that'd be enough. Foulques is 60 years old - he is who he is. He has some good qualities, but he tends to use women and treats them poorly. (Aines is the only one who avoided that and perhaps only because she died before Foulques' eye could wander) Alearde has known him for 30 years. She knows that and has told Agnes as much - if she were Foulques' wife, he'd almost certainly treat her worse than he does now. The only question is whether her own desires overwhelm her better sense

I do agree with all that, no doubt. I guess I'm considering the possibility that there will be some sort of rapprochement towards the end of Foulques' life, a sort of recognition of Alearde as the love of Foulques' life. I have no expectation that she'll jump back into his bed in happiness at the match for Bella. Or that she will at all, just that there will be something at some point.

Of course even then it ends up bitter-sweet because it will just serve to underline the mistake Foulques made in not marrying Alearde after Beatritz' passing.

Well... the next chapter is going to have a long scene with the two of them...

Honestly, I go back and forth on whether Alearde is the love of Foulques' life. I actually think Beatritz is far closer than he'd care to admit. There will be a resolution of sorts by the end of Foulques' life - it's required for something I'm planning - but we'll see how it turns out. It may well come down to what feels better when I get it on the page.

Somehow I missed Chapter 113 being posted and I want to say a few things about it first. So here we go.

I thought it was a great chapter and I truly enjoyed. It was like a plot to movie. I did love the "alter the deal" line. It was perfect. It was good to see some closure on the assassination of the king and Foulques fulfilling his promise to the king.

Now onto Chapter 114

First I enjoyed the verbal sparring between Foulques an Godfrey. It shows how far Godfrey has come as an adult and a lord. It is was fun to see Foulques reaction when he found out that his daughter could have done better and that her daughter would far exceed anything they thought she could. Hopefully Alphonse does not take offense to the situation and learns a lesson about power and how the game is played.

Glad you enjoyed that chapter as I was a bit nervous about it! I definitely felt the assassination of the king/coronation bits were meant to be along the lines of a season finale/premiere, so I'm pleased it felt like a dramatic tv/movie scene.

Alphonse will learn - as Geoffrey said, he doesn't have a choice if he wants to keep up in the arms or alliance race.

I enjoyed writing Foulques/Geoffrey here. They're still not quite equals - Foulques manages to pull rank when Geoffrey gets a bit too close to the bone - but this is the closest they've been. And there's a bit of irony in the scenes - there are things Foulques doesn't quite understand. Geoffrey/Agnes is fraught with that - if the Foulques only knew why Agnes would have Geoffrey over a barrel in a real negotiation...

this is nice... when war breaks out, what side will Anjou take?

Whichever side benefits them the most... or maybe just how he's feeling about Alearde that day.

I'm getting a "calm before the storm" vibe from this latest chapter. It seems like everyone's watching and waiting for the other shoe to drop in the ongoing struggle between Hughes and Alphonse, and in the meantime they're sounding out one another, trying to sort out who's on one side or the other, and consolidating their own positions so as not to be caught off-guard. As Geoffrey notes, Foulques is right now the single most powerful man in all of France, so I imagine quite a few of those eyes are watching him...

Also:

It's nice to see that Foulques and Geoffrey can agree on something, for a change :p

There's definitely a bit of the vassals in the realm consolidating their own positions, for a variety of reasons. Some out of simple need - Peronelle and Burgundy are facing troublesome rebellions. Some are doing it out of greed - Geoffrey wants Poitou. Toulouse... not sure why he did it, but he does have a tendency to go for Holy Wars. It gives Hugues a bit of a reprieve, but once they're consolidated, he could land in trouble. (If he lasts that long - the guy does have the Great Pox - unfortunate because I'm fairly certain he got it from his late wife, who cheated on him and died of the illness).

I agree - it was nice to write them working somewhat together. While I enjoy it, it can be a little bit of a challenge. There's still an underlying rivalry there, after all. But we'll see more of them together in upcoming chapters. They are both major players in the realm these days.

To all - the next chapter is written, but definitely could use another read and edit to see if the dialogue can be tightened up a bit. Should be out later today.

As always your comments and feedback are appreciated. While I have the general outline of things planned out through the end of Foulques' life, tone and nuance to the characters can be heavily influenced by your feedback, so thanks! It helps a great deal to know that I'm going in the right direction.

Reactions:
Chapter 115 - June 1102
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 115
June 1102 - Melun, France

Foulques had nearly forgotten what royal feasts were like.

It had been years since he’d gotten to experience a true one. A decade of war essentially ended their occurrences under Philippe - and with much of the conflict over the 10 years being internal rebellions, they would not have been much of a gathering anyway.

And as he tore into a leg of lamb and savored the juicy meat, he remembered how much he missed them.

It wasn’t perfect as he felt a loose tooth wiggle as he chewed. He had lost a couple in the years before, but it had not impacted his eating habits yet. He was somewhat lucky in that regard, given his age. Though a small part of him did wonder if his luck would run out as the years passed.

There was no use worrying about that now though. The lamb was tasty. The wine a perfect compliment. And of course, the sweetest part of all - his daughter was now the wife of the crown prince.

She sat next to him, her lips quivering as she took it all in. Bella had never been at something quite like this - it was certainly not like Agnes’ wedding.

Her older sister’s celebration had an appearance by the then-queen Sybille, but had mostly been made up with her father’s barons and knights. This feast had the Duke of Orleans, Duke of Champagne and, of course, her brother the Duke of Aquitaine present. Yes, they were members of the council and in Melun anyway, but it still qualified it as a prominent event.

It did not have everyone - the child duke Arnulf of Flanders was not present, though his regent, Robert of Artois was. The Duchesses Patricia and Peronelle were nowhere to be found - not a surprise given they stood at odds with House d’Anjou. Burgundy was busy fighting the Countess Almodis and Toulouse was in Catalonia fighting Moslems. And Alphonse remained in Rouen.

But even if they did not attend in person, it was important enough an event that everyone sent a representative. And, in addition, the local counts and barons were present. A few counts from across the realm were present in the hall. The most notable for Foulques was Count Gerard of Thouars - despite technically being a vassal of Patricia - a sign that some thought Geoffrey was likely to win that war.

The Angevin contingent, however, was somewhat small, thanks in large part due to the smallpox epidemic. While there was no shortage of those who wished to escape the keep for a time, he was limited in the number he could take - they had to move quickly, wanting to get past the afflicted areas as soon as possible.

Godfrey came because he was chancellor, and Alearde came because she was Bella’s mother. Agnes’ daughter Beatrice also came, nominally as Alearde’s lady along with Margot Karling and Macarose - Foulques wished to make her appear as noble as possible given she was the mother of the woman marrying the crown prince.

But Agnes herself remained - with the epidemic, Foulques would not have him and his regent away from Angers.

So too did Herve. While he normally led the knights on trips like this when Foulques was in Melun, with the duke going and returning, his presence was not required.

Haldora was one who did not wish to come. Not only was she angry at Foulques for his bastard with Ness, she was not Bella’s mother, and their son Philippe was very ill. Adalmode treated the boy’s pneumonia the best she could, but the duchess did not wish leave her child’s side. And Foulques saw no reason to force her.

He would have used the excuse to take Ness, but there were problems with that. She nursed their son, Ancel, and Geoffrey had passed along a warning - King Hugues “the Holy” did not look favorably over flaunting a mistress as openly as Foulques had with Philippe.

There was an irony in that and marrying his son to a bastard, but Foulques decided not to press the matter, much to Ness’ disappointment. Though there was little she could say, given that he again gave the boy full inheritance rights.

1102_Ancel_legtimized.jpg

There was one other person who came from Anjou, though he was not sitting with the others. Instead, the younger Foulques was seated by his father, Geoffrey, who had requested he attend back when this marriage was negotiated.

Foulques’ eyes drifted to them now. Geoffrey seemed to be pointing out the various men of the realm to his son. His demeanor appeared to be almost jovial, eliciting smiles and laughter from the eight-year-old. It was something that seemed odd to Foulques. His job was not to be friendly with the boy, but to teach him how to be a noble of the realm.

Foulques glanced back over to his daughter. She was looking at her leg of lamb, the meat barely touched.

“Do you not like it?” he asked her.

“Like it?” Bella asked.

“The lamb,” Foulques said. “You have barely touched it.”

“Oh,” Bella replied. “Mother said I should not make a pig of myself in front of the king.”

Foulques rolled his eyes, grabbed the lamb leg and put it in her hand. “Eat girl. You’ll need your energies tonight.”

A nervous smile came to her face. She ripped off a piece of meat with her teeth, chewed it quickly like a ravenous wolf and then licked her lips for good measure - not the most lady-like of actions.

Perhaps that is what Alearde was concerned over, he thought.

It was good that she devoured it quickly though, as the young Queen Aude pulled her away for a conversation.

The two were close to the same age - the queen was just about a year her elder. Beyond that, Foulques knew little of her beside that she was not from a prominent family and that Geoffrey got the sense she did not particularly enjoy being with her husband.

1102_Queen_Aude.jpg

Her husband now shifted seats, rising from the other side of his son and taking Bella’s old seat in between Henri and Foulques. The duke gave the king a nod of acknowledgement as he sat down.

“I think this a success,” the king said. “A lovely ceremony. An eager husband. A beautiful bride.”

“Eager husband?” Foulques asked.

Hugues smirked. “Yes. I can tell my son is enraptured.”

Foulques glanced over at the prince. His eyes remained on Bella, even as she spoke to the queen.

“He cannot take his eyes off of her,” Hugues noted. “Even as there is no shortage of lovely ladies present. It speaks well to their union.”

“It will make this evening easier,” Foulques replied.

“That it will,” Hugues said, sly grin on his lips.

The king took a drink from his goblet and then looked around. “Where is the duchess?”

“In Anjou,” Foulques said. “Nursing our child.”

“Is the boy not nearly a year?” the king asked.

Foulques grimaced. He had grown so used to Ness being referred to as the duchess that he instinctively gave what she was doing, not Haldora.

“Excuse me,” Foulques said. “The duchess is… attending to the nursing of our son. The boy is deathly ill. Pneumonia.”

“Tragic news,” Hugues said. “We will all pray for his recovery.”

Thankfully he has one whose prayers actually are answered looking over him, Foulques thought as he reflected on Adalmode looking after the boy. Despite Roubaud’s death a few years before, he had total faith in the woman - one of the few he could say that about.

1102_Philippe_pneumonic.jpg

“Forgive me,” Hugues added. “What is the boy's name?”

“Philippe,” Foulques told him.

The king grew wide-eyed, but only for a moment. He looked out at the hall and continued without turning his gaze back to the duke.

“It appears you and my brother grew close in his final years,” Hugues noted. “I never got this sense of devotion from you when I served on the council alongside you.”

Foulques stroked his beard. “A more recent development. I grew to know the king as he had few others left he could trust. It was borne out of need. But it grew strong regardless.”

“I see,” the king replied. “I hope that in time we can have such a bond of friendship, hopefully under better circumstances.”

“Does such friendship include a seat on the council?” Foulques wondered.

“In time,” Hugues answered. “Already I grow tired of some of them. They think they can rule in my name if they make the right plays. But they will be mistaken.”

Champagne.

“It is a pity that my most loyal of vassals is missing today,” Hugues continued. “The Duke of Toulouse should be here. We both count him among our friends.”

“He is off to a fine start in Catalonia, is he not?” Foulques asked. “And I thought you would be pleased, as a former man of the church, that he attacks heathens.”

Hugues sighed and shook his head. “If it were that simple, I would have approved. But not only is he needed here, but I think this war dangerous.”

Foulques was surprised to hear that. “He fought the German emperor well. Surely he can handle this foe.”

Hugues shook his head. “I have ventured to Iberia before. Whereas the Germans were divided, the Moslem heathen will do the opposite. They will unify against him, something we should all do against them.”

“So you do not like his chances of victory?” Foulques asked.

“No,” Hugues said. “Though I trust in him as a commander, I fear he does not know the resistance he will face.”

It was an interesting thought. While he would not desire Toulouse’s failure, Foulques knew such a thing stood the potential to benefit him. A weaker Toulouse could see Geoffrey move into an ascendant position among the lords south of the Loire.

The matter of Toulouse was let to fall, as Foulques did not provide an answer. However, after a few moments in silence, the king again spoke - on a subject Foulques suspected might come up.

“You know, I was most pleased that you agreed to this union,” Hugues said. “I know that you planned to marry your daughter to my nephew at first.”

“You offered something more appealing,” Foulques replied. “The potential for Bella to become queen. How could I deny my daughter that?”

“I thought as much,” Hugues said. “But… you have also promised your younger daughter to my nephew?”

Foulques took a long drink of his wine. “Yes. I have no wish for any animosity toward the boy. I had promised him one of my daughters. And so, I will give one of them to him, even if it is not the one he desired.”

“Is that necessary?” Hugues asked. “The boy is hardly a threat to you. What gain does that union bring?”

“You seem to have a problem with it, my king,” Foulques said.

“I merely seek to learn where the dukes of my realm stand,” Hugues said. “I thought this union between your daughter and my son placed you firmly alongside me. But now I wonder if you seek to play both sides.”

Foulques met the king’s gaze with his own. “I was unaware that this marriage came with conditions. Had I known, i would not have gone through with this, queen or not.”

Hugues looked back toward the feast. “No conditions. But it reveals much.”

“It reveals that I seek the best unions for my daughters, and my sons as well,” Foulques replied. “The chance to be Duchess of Normandy is a fine honor.”

“She could have been Duchess of Flanders,” Hugues said. “The boy, Arnulf, is her age.”

“I have another daughter, my king,” Foulques noted.

Hugues frowned at that response. “I see.”

The king took another drink of his wine before standing. “It is good to join alongside you, Duke Foulques. I hope I can continue to count on you to remain at my side through good times... and bad.”

“Your brother did,” Foulques said. “And I never let him down. Even in death.”

Hugues did not respond, perhaps uncertain what to make of that. He walked off, to converse with Champagne… a move Foulques could not help but think was intentional.

But it was no matter - Foulques got up himself and walked over to Geoffrey. The site of the elder duke drew a smile from the younger Foulques, though Geoffrey appeared perplexed as his father told him to step aside with him for a moment.

“Robert of Artois is here,” Foulques said. “Regent to Arnulf of Flanders.”

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “Is that important?”

“I want you to engage him in talks for a marriage,” Foulques said. “For Duke Arnulf and your half-sister, Ermengarde.”

“I am not your chancellor, father,” Geoffrey said. “Who is here, may I remind you. I am the king’s. And I cannot be seen using my position to advance your goals.”

“Is she not your sister?” Foulques asked. “Would you not benefit from the marriage? It seems as though you would be negotiating for yourself.”

“But she is not in my court,” Geoffrey noted.

“I grant approval,” Foulques said. “I will have Godfrey by your side as a sign if you wish it, but I would think you wish for talks to begin on your own...”

Geoffrey sighed. “I will see what he has to say. But I make no promises beyond that.”

Foulques shook his head. “Your skill is with your words. Use them to benefit us.”

Foulques did not let Geoffrey respond, walking away. As he did, he glanced back toward the dais where he had sat. He noticed Prince Henri get up and walk toward Bella. He greeted her, and then escorted her out of the hall.

1102_Henri_and_Bella_married.jpg

….

That evening, Foulques returned to his temporary chambers alone.

He would have preferred having someone to spend the evening with, especially after a nice evening of wine, good food, and an abundance of lovely ladies, but that was not possible. He briefly considered summoning Margot, but decided against it - she was Etiennette’s sister after all and didn’t need that entanglement as well.

His dream, of course, was that Alearde, so happy over the marriage, came to his chambers and threw herself at him once more. He did not think it was likely - she had known of the marriage for months and had not returned to his bed - but he still held out hope.

He still hoped as he answered a knock at his door, and those hopes were raised even further when it turned out to be Alearde.

“Are you alone?” she asked.

“Of course,” Foulques said as he opened the door fully. “Who else would be here?”

“I don’t know,” Alearde said. “The Duke of Anjou in a keep with many beautiful ladies. The options are plentiful.”

“I have my… preferences,” Foulques said. “Most here do not meet them.”

Alearde smirked. “I am glad, since I wished to speak with you tonight now that everything is complete.”

“What about?”

1102_Alearde.jpg

“I wished to thank you,” Alearde said. “As I sat at the feast, I just could not help but think… Our daughter may become queen. My daughter. My daughter. The daughter of a girl whose mother was a midwife I…”

She squeezed him tightly, and Foulques replied in kind. He missed holding her in moments of happiness.

“It was nothing,” Foulques said. “She is my daughter as well. And I wish the best for her.”

“Not all would do such a thing,” Alearde said. “There are bastards throughout the realm whose fathers do not even acknowledge them, let alone try to make them royalty. Especially when the mother is… a woman like myself. It is not nothing. It is to be commended.”

Foulques could not resist a smile. “It is my pleasure. I would do much for her. And you.”

Alearde blushed, like she used to when she was a girl and young woman. That look took him back - back to the days when she was easily flattered by his charms and shows of affections.

“I know that,” Alearde said. “It is why I am grateful to you. And why I believed a thank you was necessary.”

Alearde walked to the bed and plopped herself down on the edge. There was no hint of seduction from her though, nor flirtatious behavior. Instead, she just continued to beam her wide smile.

“She becomes a woman as we speak,” Alearde said. “My little girl.”

“I’m sure she does fine,” Foulques said.

“I am not concerned,” Alearde said. “Even if she does not, she will learn. And her husband… I think Prince Henri will give her room to grow. He was taken with her. I have not seen that type of infatuation often. Just three times else I can remember.”

“What times were those?” Foulques wondered.

“The first time was… when you looked at me,” Alearde said. “The second…”

The smile melted away from her face. “The second was when you looked at Aines.”

Foulques frowned as he saw the hint of sadness in Alearde’s face. It was momentary - she had learned to hide her emotions well. But he knew it was there.

And once more he felt regret.

“What was the third time?” Foulques asked, hoping to get her mind from it.

“Oh…” Alearde said. “That was G-- no… that wasn’t it.”

“That wasn’t what?” Foulques asked. “Who did you mean to speak of?”

“No one,” Alearde said. “As I reflect back… that was very different than you.”

She seemed to be speaking in riddles. He guessed she was embarrassed to say something. Perhaps a boy from her past, before she came to Anjou?

Either way, he was not going to press the matter. There was no need to upset her.

“I am certain she was glad to be away from me, no matter how it is going with Henri,” Alearde admitted. “I was warning her to show temperance. It would not make a favorable first impression to appear like a greedy, gluttonous lady - especially from one who will be queen.”

“Is she gluttonous?” Foulques asked.

“Quite,” Alearde replied. “Loves to eat all she can. Sneak snacks at night. I’ve caught her before. She is blessed - she is young and has not grown fat yet. But if she keeps it up…”

Foulques chuckled. “She will be queen - and far from the first fat one.”

“Yes… queen,” Alearde said. “Queen… born of a duke and a lowborn fool…”

“What… what did you say?”

Alearde expression changed once more as her brow furrowed and she shook her head. “I am foolish. Why did I chastise her? This is a greatest day of her life, and I stand and reprimand her? That is…”

Foulques took hold of her shoulders and began to rub them. “You are her mother. You wish what is best for her. What you teach her now will only serve her later.”

“You say that,” Alearde said. “But do you know what is like to believe your parent thinks ill of you?”

Foulques stopped. “No… my father died when I was a boy. I don’t truly remember him.”

“I do,” Alearde said. “I do all too well. My mother. She thought me a fool.”

“How so?” Foulques asked.

“She just did not think me very intelligent,” Alearde said. “I used to hear her speak of me to others. ‘That dumb girl. I hope I can find her a decent husband or else I do not know what shall be done with her.’ She begged Duchess Beatritz to take pity on me and make her one of her ladies. Otherwise, I would have ended up pregnant by a stablehand, and a beggar… at least that was what she thought.”

Foulques felt himself grow flush. The nerve of her mother to think of her so. Alearde was possibly the smartest woman he’d ever met!

“She was the fool,” Foulques replied. “She did not see your value. Your potential.”

Alearde shrugged. “I know. She was not the first. She was not the last.”

She pushed herself from the bed and began to pace the chamber. She paused at the table and leaned on it. “I asked Geoffrey when he came to Aquitaine to see if he could learn what happened to her and my father.”

“Did he?” Foulques asked.

Alearde nodded. “They had died… some years back. My father in battle, they say. My mother of natural causes, some years ago. Geoffrey could not tell me if she asked of me as she neared the end. I’d like to think she was curious.”

“Perhaps she knew,” Foulques said. “After all, Bella’s birth was… something of a scandal.”

“Even if she knew of that,” Alearde said. “Is that really better? That she knew I had found my way into the bed of a duke and ended up carrying his bastard child? It was the same expectation, just with a duke instead of a stablehand.”

Alearde sighed and sat the table, poured herself a drink and sipped it. And Foulques grew angrier at this long-dead woman who he’d never met who had worried his beloved Alearde so.

“Who cares what she thought?!” Foulques demanded. “She was clearly wrong.”

“I did,” Alearde said. “She was my mother. I had to care. Even though I was not sure I would ever see her again, I still worked to prove her wrong. Every day in Anjou, proving my value, proving my worth. Praise from the Lady Beatritz was like gold to me. Your affection, your compliments… I adored them. The two of you, you made me feel not worthless. I would have done anything for you… of course it was hard when you were opposed to one another.”

Foulques chuckled. “You earned that praise and affection.”

“But it was fleeting,” Alearde said. “When I was alone, I’d think you were just being kind. Well the duchess was. I thought you just desired my body.”

Foulques looked to the floor. He did desire her body. But he also loved her laugh, her smile and her wit… though he was not entirely certain he was as enamored with the latter until after their affair ended.

“Of course, when Bella grew in my belly, the duchess grew much less fond of me,” Alearde said. “And I began to think myself worthless once more. The one who valued me for something other than my body had little use for me anymore. Because I had failed her. But… Agnes. She would comfort me when I cried, like a sweet little sister. She did not always see eye to eye with her mother - I think her much more like you than her mother - and she said she would not have been able to get by without me to aid her.”

Foulques said nothing. This was all news to him.

“And then… when her cousin seduced her, and she found herself maligned, shunned and felt foolish, I knew how she felt,” Agnes said. “So I comforted her, helped smooth things over with you for her and… I finally felt a lasting worth. I had helped her. If I had not… who knows what may have happened? No matter what, I would always have that. I had done something, something positive.

“After that, everything changed,” Alearde continued. “I even believed I could be your wife and duchess, though, we saw how that turned out. But though that hurt, it did not break me like it would have before. I had my younger sister, and she had me. And so we’ve always had each other since.”

Foulques smiled as a sense of pride filled him. He had quite the daughter in Agnes.

“And yet,” Alearde said. “On the day my daughter marries the crown prince of France, I am sitting here, still thinking of my mother, still wishing she were here as if I could somehow show her I was worth something. I birthed a future queen. I matter. I matter!!”

Alearde suddenly threw her cup across the chamber, with the remnants splashing against the wall and dripping toward the ground. Initially shocked, Foulques got up and looked for a way to comfort her. It was not something he knew how to do well, so he just rubbed her back.

“I thought I left it behind,” Alearde said. “I thought I left her behind. But I cannot. No matter how hard I try. I can never leave behind that the woman who birthed me, and raised me, thought me a worthless fool, only worthy of charity and little else. Even though I know differently. Her voice remains.”

“Ignore it,” Foulques told her.

“If it were that simple, I would have,” Alearde said. “But you can never forget your parent. Even if you hate them, and think them wrong. There will always be that doubt… that they are right. That you are wrong.”

“Why… why do you tell me this?” Foulques asked. “Geoffrey?”

“No, I did not mean for it to come out like this,” Alearde said. “I just reflected and… perhaps the wine… it made me speak more than I should. I meant no ill will toward how you handle Geoffrey.”

And he believed her. But more importantly, he wished for her to be well. To leave it behind. He dropped to a knee and took her hand.

“Your mother was wrong,” Foulques said. “She would have been wrong had Bella married a stablehand, or not married at all. And she would have been wrong even had you never helped my daughter. Or served my wife well. Or… laid with me. You are one of the most impressive women I have ever met, Alearde. You were always worthy of affection, and of love. She was the fool for not seeing it.”

Alearde smiled, as a few tears rolled down her cheeks. The smile he loved to see.

“I know,” Alearde said. “Most days I know. Today… today is just a difficult day. It shouldn't be, but it is.”

She let go his hand and stood up, making her way toward the door. Then she stopped and looked back to him. “Your daughter will be queen one day.”

“And I could not have done it without you,” Foulques replied.

Alearde looked down, but the smile on her face went ear to ear. Then she slipped out, as quietly as she used to do when she was his lover, with the door making the slightest of sounds as it closed.

A little while later, Geoffrey entered Foulques’ chamber, his brow raised as a look of confusion was plastered on his face.

“What is this about father?” he asked.

“Shut the door,” Foulques instructed from his seat at the table.

Geoffrey did so and then approached. Foulques offered him a seat across from him. Cautiously, the Duke of Aquitaine took it.

“I barely spoke of the marriage with Robert of Artois,” Geoffrey said as he sat down. “If you think I was capable of negotiating such a delicate matter so quickly, I do not know what you expect.”

“No,” Foulques said. He poured Geoffrey a cup of wine and passed it to him. Still confused, Geoffrey took it nonetheless.

Alearde’s words weighed heavily on Foulques. He did not know for certain if that was a mistake on her part or crafty intent. In some ways, it did not matter.

Geoffrey was in many ways a disappointment to him. He was not a great warrior. He did not appear to be capable of inspiring men to victory. His battles seemed to be in halls and chambers, with words and wine as his weapons. It was a world Foulques barely understood and never would master.

Was that such a bad thing?

As Geoffrey sipped his wine, his expression of confusion did not dissipate. He expected something no doubt - an offer, a snarky remark, a put down, an insult… something.

Foulques could disarm him with a compliment. But he also could not bring himself to say one, not without it feeling forced and false. Geoffrey was a master of words. It would be as foolish as if he charged his father with a sword - a move easily deflected and dealt with.

So Foulques just sat there, sipping his wine. When he finished his cup, he poured another.

“Father, what is this about?” Geoffrey demanded.

“It is about nothing,” Foulques replied. “I… I just wished to have a drink with my son, the Duke of Aquitaine, and Chancellor to the king.”

“Just a drink?” Geoffrey asked.

“Just a drink,” Foulques said. “Or two. We shall see where the evening takes us.”

Geoffrey brow lowered though his confusion seemed to remain. After a few moments, he shrugged.

“As you wish father,” he replied.

The two sipped on their drink in silence. Foulques searched for something to say, though he found himself struggling to find the words.

Finally he said: “Your mother. She used to speak to me on how she wished for you to have Aquitaine and Poitou.”

“I know,” Geoffrey said. “I mean, I know she wished for it.”

“Yes,” Foulques said. “What I mean to say is… I think she would be proud of what you have accomplished.”

Geoffrey’s eyes widened for a moment. The look of confusion returned quickly, as he appeared to struggle at how to respond.

“I… always thought she would be,” Geoffrey replied. “But… thank you.”

Foulques grunted and took another drink. He’d hoped that would make a more lasting impression on him. But he was uncertain if it did.

They returned to silence. After another minute or so, Geoffrey again looked toward him.

“The wedding,” Geoffrey said. “I think it has come off well.”

“The king complains about Antoinette and Alphonse,” Foulques noted.

Geoffrey frowned. “Yes, he has said as much to me. Accused me of double dealing. He spoke to you about it?”

“He did,” Foulques said. “Do you know what I think?”

Geoffrey frowned. "That I have not done enough protect your interests?"

“No," Foulques said. “I think his concerns mean little. We are not his servants. If he wishes our loyalty, he can work to keep it.”

Geoffrey raised a brow. But a few moments later, a nervous smile broke through. He raised his cup toward his father.

With a smile, Foulques responded in kind.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Interesting part. It's the start of a new era, but Foulques is not of this time. His end is looming on the horizon, and he tries to make peace with his demons.

The Alearde-Foulques relationship is kind of sad.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The sense I get is of a man tying up loose ends and preparing for the end. Probably not the worst thing in the world for him, but it just shows how close the end of Foulques' saga is.

Also, I hate being at peace. No matter the plans I make, it's just not the same. Very little action, plots that take years to come to fruition. Good job as always, making it seem as though a lot is happening even when there truly is not. The dynastic subplots, at least, will provide plenty of intrigue.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another very emotionally intelligent episode, full of both revelation but also subtle implication and unmentioned truths and perceptions. I like the way you avoid the tell-all Ricky Lake blurt-outs when dancing around some of the delicate subjects. The suspense and tension are the more powerful for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: