• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Funny how game foulques is closely mirrored in story. Excellent martial, good at ruling, reasonably crafty and ignorant as sin, with an attitude and manner that makes small children cry and everyone else hate him quite a bit.
Considering his blood knight tendencaies and the fact he's used in every war, and his crippled and he's old...it's amazing he's lasted this long. Not sure what they meant by 'ill'. He isn't bad at his job and he's one of the better lords to serve under inthe realm (rarely uses his levy, lavishes his wealth back into his lands, has turned the duchy into the most powerful and privileged in France). Perhaps poorly fated or evil or something of that nature (an ill wind might be powerful and eventually aweinspiring but it's also uneasy and destructive).

We'll see what his legacy is in time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
One of my worst pet peeves with ck2 is the predilection for naming rulers early and then having them turn out to be the complete opposite - they should be earned at death, instead. "Ill-ruler" my ass lol.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting chapter and if it's a hint of things to come then I look forward to the Foulques vs Foulques war. Getting to know Foulques the younger a bit is interesting and takes me back to the chapters where Geoffrey was a child but his personality was starting to become apparent. It will be even more interesting when we start to get a sense of a relationship between Geoffrey and Foulques the younger.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What you call a "shorter chapter" is roughly the same length as what I call "my lengthiest chapter" :confused:

My chapters used to be shorter but over the last 20 chapters have really ballooned. And less gametime passed between them. So 1100-1101 took up a ton of words. That can be good, and it can be bad. The good aspect tends to be quicker turnaround between chapters, and less time to read.

This is amazing. Thank you for writing this.

It looks like Foulques’s end will be similar to Vito’s Corleone’s. The aftermath might be just as bloody too.

Thank you! I'm enjoying it, but I can't deny seeing that people have liked reading it feels good. So thank you for commenting!

Foulques' end... well I have it planned out but no spoilers yet as to it, and the aftermath.

Eating the rats is the safe choice, though I've never seen that event chain during an actual plague. Hmmmm...

Anywho, it's nice to see a more domestic household affair highlighted as opposed o the standard military matters. Well done, a fairly pleasant interlude.

I get it fairly frequently, I feel like. So much so I am worried what I'll do if the event chain comes up again in the future.

Glad you liked it. Everything has been so grand and important lately - things like this almost seem mundane by comparison. But there's opportunity there too to get a little light on characters that could play a big role in the future.

Well Foulques is, in many ways, a practical man. On the battlefield he does what is needed to win - it is no surprise he does that in the here and now.

He is almost tender with his grandson ... in a way he never was with his son, if memory serves.

That's how I viewed him. Do what is necessary to win and survive. He's hurled dead cows at walls. Style and flair aren't going to outweigh effectiveness, no matter how unpleasant that effectiveness is.

He had moments with Geoffrey - the one where he didn't chastise Geoffrey for snooping about when he was around 7 or 8 comes to mind, but for the most part, he was far less complimentary. Part of that has to do with what Geoffrey excelled in - things Foulques wouldn't have much use for. Part of it has to do with being his grandson, rather than his son - as when he actually takes and interest in Foulqueson, he's harsh with him. Based on how he treats Herve as well, it seems like it's far better to be related to Foulques, but not his son. :)

When it comes to his offspring, Foulques can never hold enough of a poker face to keep that "Son, I am disappoint" from bleeding through, can he?

It seems like you're alluding to a future Lion in Winter scenario where the Duke of Anjou's children and grandchildren will battle for supremacy. Hopefully it works out better for them here than it did for the actual Plantagenets.

(°o°;)Uh oh... I hope they cook the rats at a high enough temperature to kill the hantavirus, leptospirosis and other goodies they can be hauling around.

No, he can't. He puts high standards on them, when he takes an interest. As if he's saying "you're upholding my name, you'd best do it right."

I would imagine Foulques children will have eyes on the prize at some point. And if they have children of their own, those kids might have designs on Anjou as well.

Perhaps word of the rats does get out to confirm his 'ill-ruler' epithet a bit more :rolleyes:.

I find it always good to see how you manage to distinguish same-named people, a necessary distinction too. Foulqueson does have a nice ring to it :p.

Ha. Maybe. Or they might be grateful he didn't let them starve.

I sat for much longer than I care to admit coming up with Foulqueson. It was nice when I finally did come up with it.

Admittedly, it is hard. Not only because so many characters have the same name, but because I've found in narrative works, the number of characters spirals larger and larger, making it harder for a reader to keep up with who is who. I hope I've alleviated that somewhat by keeping the dukes of France largely to their titles at this point.

Interesting chapter, loving the uncle-nephew dynamic between both Foulques as i can easily see a rivalry developing there.

Foulques has hit the 60 mark. I fear we'll not see him alive for his 70 birthday, although, if you went for the Hunter focus or the Family :rolleyes:

I actually checked in game to see if it had already, just because they are close to the same age. Nothing yet. But there's time for that to change, especially depending on how territory gets doled out in the future.

Semi-spoiler - no, Foulques won't make it to 70. But he's still got quite a few things to go through before he kicks off.

Yikes rat eating! I’ve had that event chain occur on me whilst in seclusion...I turned my nose up. Half starved to death and my spouse was not so fortunate...

Was surprised by the shorter chapter length

Practicality means I always take it, so I've never actually seen what happens when you don't take it! (Might be something to consider for the future, just to see)

I hope the surprise wasn't negative! This was just an event that was worth exploring but didn't really have enough to go around it to make it long. There wasn't much going on in Anjou besides this, and they couldn't really take part in the goings of the outside world.

are you considering giving some titles to your other sons?

Yes. I tend to try to replace vassals that aren't of the family line with vassals that are, after I run up against the demesne limit. As I expand the Angevin holdings, I will hand out territory to Foulques' other sons. How many get something depends how successful I am at expanding. I will also try to get their lines territory though marriage.

Rats are better than some other alternatives.

Interesting chapter showing a different Foulques and him acting in a different way toward his son.

My thoughts exactly (though in real life I hate rats and the thought of eating them probably would make me vomit).

Yes, I don't think there's any way to escape that Foulques will always be harder on his sons than his grandson. Even with Alearde softing him, somewhat.

Funny how game foulques is closely mirrored in story. Excellent martial, good at ruling, reasonably crafty and ignorant as sin, with an attitude and manner that makes small children cry and everyone else hate him quite a bit.
Considering his blood knight tendencaies and the fact he's used in every war, and his crippled and he's old...it's amazing he's lasted this long. Not sure what they meant by 'ill'. He isn't bad at his job and he's one of the better lords to serve under inthe realm (rarely uses his levy, lavishes his wealth back into his lands, has turned the duchy into the most powerful and privileged in France). Perhaps poorly fated or evil or something of that nature (an ill wind might be powerful and eventually aweinspiring but it's also uneasy and destructive).

We'll see what his legacy is in time.

I've aimed to keep him in line with his character when faced with event chain decisions, so that has thankfully resulted in traits that mirror that.

So... Ill popped up a while ago. Actually, around the same time Philippe got Son of Satan. So probably in the early to mid 1080's. I suspect it was more to do with his actions - that was after he'd stolen land from multiple children, not necessarily honored alliances, etc. He's grown quite a bit more honorable in his old age - just as Philippe grew a bit less outwardly flouting of the church - marrying a woman of a different faith - but the names stick.

One of my worst pet peeves with ck2 is the predilection for naming rulers early and then having them turn out to be the complete opposite - they should be earned at death, instead. "Ill-ruler" my ass lol.

This basically. Foulques got named early and it stuck.

Interesting chapter and if it's a hint of things to come then I look forward to the Foulques vs Foulques war. Getting to know Foulques the younger a bit is interesting and takes me back to the chapters where Geoffrey was a child but his personality was starting to become apparent. It will be even more interesting when we start to get a sense of a relationship between Geoffrey and Foulques the younger.

Getting to know them is part of the reason I decided to have this chapter. These characters will be popping up in the future, as you'd expect, and it helps to see them grow.

I was wondering about how to show Geoffrey and his son since they aren't frequently together. But looking back at my notes and saves, they actually will be for a time in the future, so I will probably need to have a chapter or two, showing how they deal with their different personalities.

So uh, if I recall dimly, you made succession Agnatic-Cognatic a while back, correct? Am I correct in assuming that right now you are still on gavelkind?

I did make it Primogeniture a while back. If there's some confusion of the line where I mentioned Foulqueson would not get Aquitaine, that has actually to do with the succession lines in the two duchies. Aquitaine is through Geoffrey, but further back through Beatritz, not Foulques. As a result the two succession lines are roughly as follows:

Anjou - 1. Geoffrey 2. Foulques the Younger 3. Foulqueson 4. Guilhem (Ness bastard No.1) 5. Philippe 6. Ancel (Ness bastard No.2) 7. Agnes 8. Ermengarde

But Aquitaine, and likely Poitou as well, goes as follows after Geoffrey

1. Foulques the Younger 2. Beatritz (Geoffrey/Marguerite's daughter) 3. Agnes 4. Geoffrey/Agnes' living relatives on their mother's side.

Any children Agnes have with her husband also go in immediately after her, though her bastard daughter is excluded. Also excluded is Geoffrey's acknowledged bastard. I forget who follows at the moment, but Foulqueson, Philippe and Ermengarde are not in that line. Guilhem and Ancel are in it, but far down, by virtue of their mother Ness being far down.

So... in terms of Aquitaine, Geoffrey and Foulques the Younger actually extremely important in terms of keeping the potential Anjou-Poitou-Aquitaine trifecta together. And so too is the younger Beatritz - who despite all evidence of her not being Geoffrey's daughter, the game still recognizes her as such. A fact that may come into play later. ;)

Sorry if that is hard to follow! If you want a more detailed explanation of succession, let me know.

To all - I will post the next chapter later today/early tomorrow, depending on your time zone. We return to Geoffrey for the next two chapters as he gets a pair of interesting events in his life - one planned, one not so planned.

As always, thank you for the comments, feedback and questions. If you aren't sure about something, don't hesitate to ask! I'm playing the game, and doing the writing, and don't have an editor, so things that might be clear to me may not be clear at all!

Reactions:
When reading of the rat event, I’m inevitably reminded of Blackadder IV, with Baldric’s ‘rat au van‘! :rolleyes::p

• 1Like
Reactions:
When reading of the rat event, I’m inevitably reminded of Blackadder IV, with Baldric’s ‘rat au van‘! :rolleyes::p
I had managed not to make that connection until now :D

Sauté or fricassee?

• 1Like
Reactions:

Sauté or fricassee?
Just run over by a van - nothing fancy. ;) Though for dessert there’s plum Duff - with custard (unless all the cats have been eaten as well)! :eek::(

• 1Haha
Reactions:

Sauté or fricassee?

Just run over by a van - nothing fancy. ;) Though for dessert there’s plum Duff - with custard (unless all the cats have been eaten as well)! :eek::(

I had to go look that up and now yes... I can see why that might come to mind. Disgusting though - I prefer my eating rats to be in the abstract in written word without any sight of the actual rat (real or fake). :D

And now the next chapter, which features no rat eating at all. But maybe a little sour grapes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hope the surprise wasn't negative! This was just an event that was worth exploring but didn't really have enough to go around it to make it long. There wasn't much going on in Anjou besides this, and they couldn't really take part in the goings of the outside world.
Nothing you ever write lands in a negative way. No I was just surprised to reach the end when I did ;)

Reactions:
Chapter 117 - March 1103
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 117
March 1103 - Poitiers, France

Geoffrey stood in an open green field, under the cloudy sky, the wind blowing the bangs of his brown hair upward. It was a cold wind, the type common in early March, enough so that he pulled his cloak tighter around his body.

He glanced at his entourage. Many did the same, including Count Alias of Perigord and Prince-Bishop Leonard. Renaud, commander of Anjou’s forces, added vocal complaint for good measure.

“I think if he keeps us waiting much longer, that you forget your squabbles with your cousin and join forces against him,” Renaud said. “Or tie him up and leave him in this field. Surely the realm would thank you.”

The Duke of Aquitaine smirked at the thought, but that disappeared quickly as another gust of wind blew through, chilling him to the bone.

He would not leave Philipp of Champagne in these fields when all was said and done, but if he made him wait much longer, Geoffrey might well think twice about the generous terms he was to propose to his cousin Patricia.

Everything about this grew more irritating the more he thought about it. That they stood here, in a field rather than his camp, was the doing of the king - or possibly Champagne under the nominal authority of Hugues - he wasn’t entirely sure.

But Champagne had insisted this take place on neutral ground. “A compromise to provide harmony”, he said.

He also had influenced the terms Geoffrey could offer. Another compromise - Geoffrey received the title of Duke of Poitou. Patricia, in turn, remained Countess of Poitiers and Saintonge though she was forced to pay homage to Geoffrey as her new liege lord.

Geoffrey would have preferred taking everything from Patricia and at the very least Saintonge. Yet that was not to be - the king and Champagne were rather insistent that Geoffrey not seize the counties as his own. Thus he was forced to make a choice - leave a wounded but still reasonably intact Patricia as a disloyal vassal…. or disobey the king’s will and make an enemy of him.

Given the strength of Anjou behind him, Geoffrey decided his best play was to have an enemy of a countess, rather than a king.

Disappointing as that was, he consoled himself with the truth that while he was not the nominal Count of Saintonge, he had at least returned it to the influence of his family, thus satisfying the dreams of both his mother and father in one swoop.

Or he would, as soon as this was agreed upon.

Patricia stood about fifty feet away with her entourage, which included her husband, Bertrand de Toulouse, younger brother of the Duke of Toulouse, and Count Gerard of Thouars - the man who had once fought against her in Geoffrey’s name.

He had heard Thouars was eager to swear allegiance to him and would have already had he been allowed to. But until Geoffrey was officially recognized as Duke of Poitou, or Patricia herself acknowledged it, that could not happen.

Out of the corner of his eye, Geoffrey caught sight of some men on horseback. Sure enough, it was Philipp of Champagne. Finally.

He took his sweet time, even now that he had arrived on the field, moving his horse at a gingerly pace, his entourage of knights following in kind. And when he stopped in the middle of the field, between Patricia and Geoffrey, he did not dismount, even after the warring cousins approached him.

“He thinks himself king,” Alias whispered to Geoffrey. “He wishes to show he is above you both - that he is not your peer.”

An obvious observation, but one Geoffrey appreciated his chancellor making - it was better he passed along information in case his lord did not know it, rather than assume that he did.

Patricia bowed before Champagne. Geoffrey did not.

“Duchess Patricia,” Champagne said. “Duke Geoffrey. It is good you both have joined me today so that we may put these hostilities which divide and weaken the realm behind us.”

He offered his hand to both. Geoffrey made certain to shake it as he would any normal handshake - Weaken the realm? I will not bow before you, you hypocrite.

“I thank you and the king for agreeing to this… mediation of the conflict,” Patricia said. “Though I am disappointed you have not found fault in this illegal act.”

“It is hardly illegal,” Geoffrey said. “When your brother died, I became the strongest male claimant. It, by right, should have gone to me.”

“If you wish to claim that,” Patricia replied, “then my nephew Adhemar, or my grandnephews all have stronger cases than you.”

“Your grandnephews,” Geoffrey said. “Like my son?”

Patricia narrowed her gaze. “Better him than you.”

“My lady, the king is sympathetic to your arguments, as you well know,” Champagne said. “But the matter has been considered settled by your conflict. If you wish to continue fighting…”

Geoffrey glared at Champagne. Some compromise - he encourages her to continue resistance even now!

He was growing wary of this arrangement. Not just this peace, but his relationship with Champagne.

Philipp had offered an olive branch of sorts, hoping to secure Geoffrey’s support on council matters. He did so… warily. He saw the value in it - he would like another friend on the council and even if Toulouse were present, he was a potential rival to his ambitions in the south of the realm.

Champagne was a natural fit for those ends… but the man was a snake. It made it hard to completely trust him. And this only added fuel to the fire...

“No, it is pointless,” Patricia lamented. “I will not put the people of Poitou through anymore hardship.”

Geoffrey resisted a smile. It was theater, but he could appreciate that. Especially given it was irrelevant - it would garner her little support that she did not already have. And beyond her barons, she had none - Thouars wished for Geoffrey and Uc of Lusignan had struck his banner for Marguerite.

“A most gracious lady, they could not have prayed for,” Champagne said. He looked to Geoffrey. “Will you propose your terms, Duke Geoffrey?”

Geoffrey looked to Alias, who stepped forward. The bald Count of Perigord cleared his throat before speaking loudly: “Duke Geoffrey of Aquitaine, and rightful Lord of Poitou through the late Duchess Beatritz of Aquitaine, Poitou and Anjou, proposes these generous terms to his cousin, the Lady Patricia. She shall submit to him as her liege lord, and perform oaths of fealty for the counties of Poitiers and Saintonge. She shall renounce herself as the liege lord to Gerard of Thouars and Uc of Lusignan. She shall swear loyalty to Duke Geoffrey upon her life and the life of any children she may one day have. In exchange, Duke Geoffrey promises to cease hostilities against her, return the keeps he has occupied in Poitiers and Saintonge, and protect her fully as her rightful liege lord.”

“Do you accept the terms, Lady Patricia?” Champagne asked.

Patricia scowled. Her face was a reddish hue, growing darker from the ruby blush the cold had caused in her cheeks. Her husband took her hand, but she threw his arm away as she stepped forward, toward Geoffrey. Before him, she dropped to a knee and raised her hands, while Prince-Bishop Leonard stepped beside the cousins.

“I accept these terms,” she said keeping her head lowered. “And I accept you, Duke Geoffrey, as my rightful lord. I promise in good faith that I shall remain your loyal woman, to never cause you harm, provide you men when required, and honor my oaths to you against all others without deceit. So I do swear, on my life and the lives of my children yet unborn.”

Geoffrey took her hands and pulled her up. “I accept, my lady. And you shall have my protection, as your lord. I shall do right by my oaths, as I have for all my vassals.”

The Prince-Bishop made the signal of a cross. The two embraced. And it was done.

1103_Geoffrey_usurps_Poitou.jpg

Patricia glared at Geoffrey, but said nothing. She walked back to her group and motioned for them to depart. Her household knights and councilors followed her as she mounted her steed and rode off, but Thouars remained, now free to accept Geoffrey as his lord. He did so with a smile on his face.

“It is a fine day for Poitou,” Thouars told him after he did so. “Alias has spoken to me of how loved you are in Aquitaine. We long for that here after the ill rule we have suffered under the children of Guilhem.”

Geoffrey patted Thouars on the back. While he did not know if Patricia was that poor a ruler, he appreciated the sentiment.

“I will endeavor to do right by all,” Geoffrey said. “And I have not forgotten your efforts - the first to strike a banner in my name.”

“It is with great shame that I failed you in that effort,” Thouas said. “I could not defeat both Patricia and Uc.”

“I find no fault in your efforts, friend,” Geoffrey said. “Tonight we shall celebrate many - your bravery will be chief among them.”

Thouars beamed. “Most gracious lord you are, my lord. Thank you.”

Geoffrey’s own smile was muted however as he caught sight of Champagne, who remained on the field, watching this unfold. He sat on his horse, his thin lips forming a smirk on his fat, jowled face.

Tired of being towered over, Geoffrey returned to his horse before riding over to meet his peer. He motioned for Leonard to accompany Thouars back to the camp. Meanwhile, he and Alias remained back with a small group of Geoffrey’s knights, along with Renaud and some Angevin men.

Just in case.

“Congratulations, Duke Geoffrey of Aquitaine and Poitou,” Champagne said.

“Thank you,” Geoffrey replied. “Though for some reason, I do not feel you are happy about this result.”

“Do not mistake my show from earlier as anything more than placating the will of our king,” Champagne said. “He did not like how this played out. And he frowned upon you dictating the terms of the peace deal - he felt as though your position as chancellor gives tacit approval to such things. It was why I was forced to take a leading role.”

“And you had nothing to do with suggesting you handle such matters?” Geoffrey asked.

“I had some influence over his choice,” Champagne said. “But I remain a friend of your family. I argued quite forcefully that you should be allowed at least the title you had rightfully won.”

“You mean to tell me the king wished to deny me Poitou?” Geoffrey demanded.

“The king is fearful of one family growing too powerful,” Champagne said. “Your father controls the largest levy in the realm. Now you hold Aquitaine and Poitou. And your father has a friendship with Alphonse… would you not be concerned if you were king?”

It was a charge Geoffrey could not rebut. So he deflected. “I remain the king’s man, through and through. If I were not, I would have seized Poitou on my terms, as I wished, his will be damned.”

“I certainly understand,” Champagne said. “I am ambitious lord myself. It is all a balancing act.”

Geoffrey shook his head. “So you mean to tell me you do not work against me?”

Champagne smirked. “I was once a chancellor to a king too, Duke Geoffrey. I know when a show is required. Your cousin needed to believe she came away from this with some support so she could leave here with her head held high - righteously believing she was wronged by you.”

“So you incite her to rebel against me in the future?” Geoffrey demanded.

“You took her title,” Champagne replied. “She needs no incentive.”

Geoffrey frowned. Right as that was, he still did not like it. “I wonder of you, Duke Philipp. You say you are a friend of my family. But… you admit to speaking with forked tongue - though you also swear you do not do so with me. How am I to trust you?”

“Countess Patricia is no threat to me,” Champagne said. “I am fully aware what betraying Anjou and Aquitaine may bring down upon me.”

Flattery, Geoffrey realized. But also with a bit of truth. While he did not wish to go down this road, Geoffrey knew his levy was near equal to Champagne. Add in Anjou and Champagne would blown away.

“Your words are enough for me, for now,” Geoffrey replied as he took Champagne’s hand. “Your show today was impressive, I must admit.”

“Good man,” Champagne said. “We will have much to discuss when we return to the capital. Until then, enjoy your celebrations. And safe travels back.”

Champagne turned his horse and rode off with his men, leaving Geoffrey with Alias, Renaud and the two groups of knights.

“He will betray you,” Alias said.

A common complaint from his chancellor. But not necessarily wrong.

“He well might,” Geoffrey said. “But it is a risk that is worth taking. Champagne is a snake, and speaks with forked tongue. But not everything he says is lie - he likes to twist the truth to his advantage. I suspect he is honest when he said the king did not wish us to succeed here in Poitou. And that alone means we should not toss aside potential aid when it comes.”

“He controls the king,” Alias said.

“He seeks to control the king,” Geoffrey replied. “We know he fears he will lose control as a result of the marriage of my sister. If her child is a boy…”

Geoffrey smiled at the thought. But then he spied Renaud and rode over to him, as another thought came to mind.

“My cousin is vanquished,” Geoffrey said. “But what of the rebels? Will my father’s levy remain for that? I thank you, regardless.”

Renaud shrugged. “I have received no word of recalling us. And that is fine by me - here in the south we have avoided that epidemic.”

Renaud probably spoke truthfully when he said he was glad to be away from it. But Geoffrey was not certain if the men in the Angevin levy felt the same way. Still he would not question it - not while he stood to benefit.

1103_Continuing_war_with_Uc.jpg

“I am glad to hear it,” Geoffrey said as he shook Renaud’s hand. “You too shall be a guest of honor tonight in our celebrations. Not only as my father’s representative, but for your services to us down here. I have heard tales of your bravery and leadership, Mayor Renaud. Such things are not forgotten.”

Renaud smiled from ear to ear. “You are a most gracious lord, Duke Geoffrey.”

“I am a thankful one,” Geoffrey said. “For today I have fulfilled my mother’s dream. When I was a babe at her breast she would whisper to me of how Aquitaine and Poitou would be mine. Today… they are. I have done right by her memory, and will continue to do so for all that have aided me.”

It kept the smile on Renaud’s face and drew a cheer from his knights - men who would be his to command one day.

That worked well, he thought and Geoffrey knew he’d have to work that into a larger speech when addressed all his vassals, new and old.

And as they rode back to camp, he continued to think about what he'd accomplished and what would one day be his. As they came together in his mind, even greater thoughts crept in, thoughts that would be hard to silence...

I was nothing.

Then I was Duke of Aquitaine.

Now I am Duke of Poitou.

Later, I shall be Duke of Anjou.

Perhaps… I shall be more beyond that as well...

1103_Geoffrey.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Nothing you ever write lands in a negative way. No I was just surprised to reach the end when I did ;)

High praise! Thank you and I hope to keep that streak going.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A fine example of Geoffrey’s calculating and brilliant mind. Here he is at his most diplomatic and look at the effect it has on Thouars, Renaud, even Champagne. Bravo sir

A gameplay question though: when you have 3 Duchies will you not have to destroy one to avoid the too many held Duchies malus?

Reactions:
Ah...and that ambition can't be cancelled either so I guess you're going to have to roll with it, unless the game kills Geoffrey really anticlimactically six months into your control of him. Either way, this makes complete sense, as when he does inherit what he's set up for, he'll have more than enough to at the very least match an alliance of the next two strongest dukes combined (which is more than can be said for the last three kings of France...). Still, this might be a little too soon. If I were him and had lots to gain and lots to lose, I'd finish the conquest of Brittany first. It's a safe set of wars, no one in France is going to complain and it seals tight a potential front in a civil claimant war.

Plus if and when you do become king of France, you can immediately make yourself king of Brittany as well (and own every county in it, making you virtually untouchable in CKII). Then the game and story becomes less about feudal lords fighting and jostling for position and power and more a centralising kingdom with an unshakable (-ish) monarch trying to decide what to do next. Should be very interesting if he and you pull that off in Geoffrey's lifetime. Though his womanising will become the key threat at that point (in fact, possibly the only one at that).

The duchy thing only applies to rulers with a higher rank than duke, I think. Not sure, but when I'm a petty king, I can have as many other petty kingdoms (i.e. duchies) as I want. Making myself king gives me more prestige, power and vassal control but means I have to have a slightly smaller private realm (or at least fewer duchies. County numbers depends on laws and stewardship).

Reactions:
So now he dreams, perhaps for loftier things than being a grandest nobleman in the realm (once his father dies). The King is right to fear.

I agree with @Asantahene - this chapter very effectively conveyed how Geoffrey's mind works, the calculation and constant comparisons.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great read as always. This really moves things along - looking forward to see what Geoffrey makes of his position over time and how he deals with the Champagne-Hugues nexus.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can't help but juxtapose Foulques' contentment with his lot as Duke of Anjou balanced with his ambition for his family versus Geoffrey's lust for more of everything. It'll be interesting to see if Foulques somehow dies the happier man than his son. It's good to see more and more of Geoffrey laid bare as he'll no doubt be the star of the show for quite a while here shortly.

French nobles are such snakes lol.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Geoffrey has accomplished quite a lot! I can't help but see that he and his son will undoubtedly overshadow Foulques actions in the future.

Reactions:
IMHO Geoffrey should have at least taken Poitiers as well, since there was the court of the duke of the great duchy of Aquitaine (so including Poitou and Gascony and some other bits).
Other than that, I have very much enjoyed the read thus far. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
A foregone conclusion, yet one very much of Geoffrey's taste. Even if he made small concessions and had to deal with Champagne. He might want to look at the positive things - if Patricia does rebel, then he will be able to rightfully seize Saintonge. And as he thought, it is one more step to where he can be.

I've got a feeling though that control is slowly slipping away from Champagne, who has played the game master role in France very well so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: