• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent AAR. If only the mod wasn't so damn impossible to install properly! I tried the 0.52 beta and all the names were wrong. Gah! Almost got it now though.

We'll lick those Frenchies in no time!

-It's the Germans we should be licking, sir

DON'T BE DISGUSTING, DARLING! I wouldn't lick a German if he was glazed in honey!

-It's the Germans we should be licking, sir

DON'T BE DISGUSTING, DARLING! I wouldn't lick a German if he was glazed in honey!

I see someone knows my New Year's Resolution. :p

Don't hate me for saying this, but I feel sorry for the German Navy. Not only was it dealt the final blow, they're now going to be effectively responsible for losing the entire war. Also they're the underdog after all :D

The destruction of the German surface fleet wouldn't really accomplish that much at this point in the war. Gallipoli has already happened, so there is no chance of using the increased naval superiority to force the straits with a more powerful force. And the surface losses she has taken would mean that Germany would just switch (as she historically did) to focusing on a U-Boat campaign, which in real life had a much better hope of knocking Britain out of the war. Of course, in HOI2, subs are not really that as much of a threat (due to huge stockpiles of supplies built up over the game, it is near impossible to simulate the threat they posed). Really, the Royal Navy can do little more than it historically did: that is, maintain a naval blockade and starve Germany of overseas imports.

As for feeling sorry for the German Navy: I'm not sure I do at the moment! Having just read Scheer's memoirs (available online here: http://www.richthofen.com/scheer/), I'm feeling they deserve a smackdown, in order to be convinced of their defeat following the war, so as to nip in the bud that Dolchstoßlegende BS that Scheer (and many others) came out with after the war.

Actually, that's probably a bit harsh. I'm just a bit riled by his (and other German officers memoirs I've researched recently) incessant victim complex, how amazingly innocent Germany was in all things in his eyes. The ordinary sailors don't deserve their fate (revolt against your oppressors lads!)

As for feeling sorry for the German Navy: I'm not sure I do at the moment! Having just read Scheer's memoirs (available online here: http://www.richthofen.com/scheer/), I'm feeling they deserve a smackdown, in order to be convinced of their defeat following the war, so as to nip in the bud that Dolchstoßlegende BS that Scheer (and many others) came out with after the war.
Blimey, I am amazed at the depths of his delusions. Even by the low standards of self-justifying memoires that was gibberish, the most worrying part is that he might even have believed it.

For U-boat warfare I suppose the justification for them being ineffective is that they never were a threat in WW1, the biggest danger to Britain was the Admiralty/Board of Trade refusal to embrace convoys. Once they were put into action a WW1 U-boat was effectively removed as a threat. Of course the WW2 version were a different matter.

Once they were put into action a WW1 U-boat was effectively removed as a threat. Of course the WW2 version were a different matter.

In WW2, Germany had the chance to get out the gate early with plenty of U-Boats to choke Britain with. Instead of building a big U-Boat fleet, they devoted resources on building these big battleships that ended up being nothing more than target practice for the British.

Did the German battleships (like the Bismarck and the one that got trapped in Norway) actually accomplish anything substantial in WW2? Or were they simply a waste of time and resource that could have been better spent elsewhere?

Did the German battleships (like the Bismarck and the one that got trapped in Norway) actually accomplish anything substantial in WW2? Or were they simply a waste of time and resource that could have been better spent elsewhere?
I have heard some people describe Tirpitz (the one trapped in Norway) as the most effective ship in the Japanese Navy. She tied down several times her own strength in Europe and left the Royal Navy far too weak in the Pacific. I've even heard people genuinely argue that had Tirpitz not been built, or been sunk sometime early in 1941, the Royal Navy would have sent enough heavy units out to the Far East to dramatically change the Pacific War, starting with Singapore not falling. While not a certainty it's an intriguing option and very plausible.

But I'm not aware of any useful strategic accomplishment for the German war effort by Bismark or Tirpitz.

In WW2, Germany had the chance to get out the gate early with plenty of U-Boats to choke Britain with. Instead of building a big U-Boat fleet, they devoted resources on building these big battleships that ended up being nothing more than target practice for the British.

It could be argued that they were a Fleet in Being, pinning down Royal Navy units in Home Waters, preventing them from being used against the Italians in the Med or the Japanese in the Pacific (although the latter was probably a blessing!). But yes, the benefits to Germany itself were limited. They would never be able to build a big enough surface fleet to seriously threaten Britain (especially given the demands on steel/resources for the Army and Luftwaffe). U-boats were the only really cost effective means they had.

I've even heard people genuinely argue that had Tirpitz not been built, or been sunk sometime early in 1941, the Royal Navy would have sent enough heavy units out to the Far East to dramatically change the Pacific War, starting with Singapore not falling. While not a certainty it's an intriguing option and very plausible.

Wouldn't sending heavy units to the Far East just give the Japanese more ships to sink with their planes?

Wouldn't sending heavy units to the Far East just give the Japanese more ships to sink with their planes?
The first few months of the Japanese campaign depended on staggering amounts of luck, if everything hadn't kept on going right it really wouldn't take much to change the fate of the entire campaign. Even at the most pessimistic if the Japanese do sink any RN reinforcements that means those planes aren't available elsewhere in the theatre, given the razor thin margins that means other operations will fail. IIRC Singapore only needed an extra day or so for a reinforcement convoy to make it through and for the besieging Japanese to run out of supplies, things were that close.

Chapter twenty-nine: Black October.

October 1915 almost became a black month for Herbert Asquith. It began with the bickering caused by the Alderson-Hughes feud, which was greatly (if unwantedly) helped by the Germans, which attacked the recently arrived Canadians and made use of chemical weapons. In fact, the French had been the first to employ gas - tear gas (ethyl bromoacetate) actually- in August 1914, in such small quantities that were not even detected by the Germans, a problem which was suffered later on by the Germans when they attacked the British position at Neuve Chappelle in October 1914. Germany was the first to make large-scale use of gas as a weapon when on 31 January 1915, 18,000 artillery shells containing liquid xylyl bromide tear gas were fired on Russian positions on the Rawka River, west of Warsaw, but, instead of vaporizing, the chemical froze and failed to have the desired effect.

Finally, on September 28, 1915 (1), a gray-green cloud drifted across positions held by French Colonial troops who defended a sector north of Ypres. The Colonials fled in pain and panic, abandoning their trenches and creating an 7 km gap in the Allied line. However, the German infantry of the Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg's 4. Armee was also wary of the gas and failed to exploit the break before the First Canadian Division and some French troops reformed the line in scattered, hastily prepared positions 2 km apart. Two days later the Germans used gas again, September 30, against the 1st Canadian Division; again on October 2, near Mouse Trap Farm, and on October 5 against the British at Hill 60. However, the front resisted the German onslaught, although the Canadian Corps suffered over 50% casualties, nearly 6,000 men, in the so-called Second Battle of Ypres (September 28-October 30, 1915).

Edwin_Alderson.jpg

Lieutenant General Sir Edwin Alfred Hervey Alderson, KCB (1859 – 1927)

For Alderson the battle meant his end. Although his troops had held, he had found himself out of touch with the front line and unable to get accurate information about the situation. In addition to his personal failures, the Ross rifles had proven almost useless (2) in battle and Alderson's officer corps had performed poorly, in particular Brigadier-General Garnet Burk Hughes, Sam Hughes' son. Carson however, who reported personally to Hughes, downplayed the difficulties and blamed the heavy casualties on Alderson's leadership, indicating that the Corps had only been saved from annihilation by the actions of Richard Turner and Garnet Hughes. Such a preposterous comment was to have 'funny' consequences later on.

However, Hughes was also in deep trouble, as the Ross Rifle had proved to be useless in the filthy conditions of the trenches and its incompatibility with the British Lee Enfield rifle meant that the Canadian troops were continually running out of ammunition. Finally, a compromise was reached. Through the mediation of Asquith and General French, Alderson was transferred to the nominal post of Inspector-General of Canadian Forces and Sir Arthur Currie replaced him in command of the Canadian Corps. In exchange, the Canadian soldiers finally got rid of the Ross rifle and were reissued with Lee Enfields. However, there was still the problem of Major General Garnet Hughes, who, with Turner, had panicked during the chaos and sent erroneous messages back to divisional headquarters that their line had been broken and was in full retreat, when in fact their Brigade had not even been attacked yet. Furthermore, Hughes disobeyed orders and, instead of filling the holes in the Allied line, and sent the soldiers on a night-time attack against a German strongpoint at Kitcheners' Wood, which ended in disaster and caused 75% casualties to the attackers.

Rossrifle.jpg

The unlucky Ross Rifle

Thus Sam Hughes found himself in the amusing situation of having cheered his son as a heroe when, suddenly, everything seem to point that Garnet Hughes was going to be court-martialled for cowardice and incompetence. In the end, a compromise was reached and Hughes was assigned to an obscure administrative post in England (3). Back at home, Sam Hughes was to enter into a fast decline which would led to his replacement by Sir Albert Edward Kemp, KCMG, PC, by early 1916. In addition to the Ross fiasco, among the many "sucesses" of Hughes are sending Anglocentrics to recruit French Canadians, and by forcing French volunteers to speak English in training, which, it goes without saying, made him "hugely" popular among the French Canadians. All this mess made him worthy to be knighted as a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath, on August 24, 1916 (4).

Garnet_Hughes.jpg

Major General Garnet Burk Hughes CB, DSO (1880 - 1937)

ScreenSave125.jpg

Meanwhile, on the Eastern Front...

Hardly had the Alderson-Hughes feud had finished when the Austro-Germans attacked in the Eastern front with the aim to recover Przemysl. After a heavy artillery bombardment, the combined armies of the Central Powers launched an attack which caught the Russians by surprise (5). The Central Powers shattered the Russian defenses, and the Czarist lines collapsed. Soon, the Russian armies, under General Nikolai Ruzsky, in the whole Southern front were retreating. Only the conquest of Memel by General Plehve avoided the situation of becoming a total disaster, as it forced the Germans to shift troops from the South to Prussia. Thus, to alleviate this dangerous situation, the STAVKA decided, after receiving some Allied suggestions (6) to attack Köningsberg with the combined force of six armies -400,000 men with 350 guns.

ScreenSave144.jpg

In the late hours of November 7, 1915, the Czarist onslaught began. The attack was a complete succces and, after a week of vicious fighting and gruelling marches, the Russian troops conquered Köningsberg, dealing a mortal blow to the Prussian moral. However, the October battles had costed the Russian army one million casualties (killed, injured and POWs included) and heavy losses in equipment. The Central Powers had suffered less badly, 750,000. However, the Austrian Empire was showing the first troubles to find recruits and replacements for the casualties (7).

ScreenSave146-1.jpg

The Eastern Front after the battles of October.
austriantroops.jpg

Austrian troops advancing towards Przemysl.

In was then, when October couldn't look worse for Asquith, a glimpose of hope appeared for him when the simultaneous Allied offensive in Middle East began.

karl2.jpg

Crown Prince Charles of Austria-Hungary inspecting a German guard of honour.

(1) The butterfly effect strikes back, as the OTL attack took place in April that same year.
(2) So to speak, the Ross was the SA80 of WW1: a fine weapon on a firing range under controlled conditions, but almost useless in the battlefield.
(3) He spent the rest of his life seeking revenge by attacking Currie's reputation through scurrilous editorials published in newspapers owned by his family.
(4) In case you have noticed yet, I can't stand the Hughes -both father and son- and I have "accelerated" daddy's fall -which tooke place in November 1916. I'm afraid that I couldn't stand the idea of having him for so long in the war.
(5) Really? You, Iwan, and Fritz have been using the same tactic since the beginning of the war and you're telling me that they got you by surprise? How came? Did they were flying posters saying "this is not an attack"?
(6) Hi, this is the "Allied suggestion" speaking. Dirty, disgusting trick, but, hey, it was that or dying of sheer shame.
(7) That's the IA's fault, which spams thousands of divisions.

@quaazi: Me too. It's a pity to see the German navy going down in such a way. Let's hope that they remain in harbour and I won't have to sinke them all. About the subs... well... were not for the events, I wouldn't notice them.

@Enewald :D :D

@El Pip: It would have been a shame to leave them out of the war. About the guns... well... it was part of a conceited effort by the MI6 to fool da Krautz. Apparently, ze Germanz had the same idea at the same time... :p

@quaazi: So, do you see the tragic of this war? I'm figthing in the wrong side! Darned Billy!!!!

@FlyingDutchie: Yes. Danke Gott ze Fritzies have not to cross a channel to reach Paris...

@Nathan Madie: Let's hope that French, Haig or Joffre doesn't get wind of your plan...

@Alexus: Good old Blackie!

@Nathan Madien (2): Really?

@Tigey: Well, without the German surface fleet it would be quite simple to prepare the Baltic Scheme and to land in Northern Germany. I guess that in the present reduced form they won't present any trouble for such an operation. But I'm afraid you're right and that perhaps Kaiser Bill is going to being spamming Uboaten by the thousands...

And now...

For most conspicuous bravery during recent postifications, Mr Enewald and Mr El Pip have displayed the greatest gallantry and witticism and utterly regardless of danger, both went ahead and shot where it most hurt, that is, in the humour sense of the enemy, that is, the AARtist :D Thus, their heroism is not going to go unpunish... erm..., ignored, and by the powers that the Holy Pizza has given me, I shall award and I award them with the Petinguished Order of the Sacred Holypizza (POSH).

Dickin_Medal.jpg

Congratulations, gentlemen!

Last edited:
You dishonour me with this poshness!
I'd rather see the Book of Deeds being necromanced then becoming POSH. ;)

So, now the French army has good reasons for mutiny against their British overlords.

Ahhh a fine medal, and even better as Finland's Finest wont wear it! Thus POSH will remain elite and respected and I will look even more distinguished.

As for Hughes, I can see why you wouldn't like him but surely forcing Quebecois to speak English is enough to balance it out? :D

Bah, intrigue and drama, the Allied generals are like a bunch of schoolgirls. And when the Commonwealth generals bicker, the russians of all armies capture Königsberg of all places! Poor show, lads.

If the Allied generals are like a bunch of schoolgirls, then they should dress the part. Japanese sailor female student outfits for everyone!

@Nathan Madien (2): Really?

According to an article I read, for every battleship the Germans could have produced several or so U-Boats. I forget the exact ratio.

Ah, another fine update indeed.

:(

The war might have got more interesting if you had let the Russians fail.

Chapter thirty: A Change in Command .

The war in Africa proved to be a kind of a surprise. After Walvis Bay, a British enclave in German South West Africa, was swiftly garrisoned by the South Africans, General Botha marched northward from below the Orange River to occupy Lüderitz and Keetmanshoop by October 1914, finding no resistance whatsoever. The Karas Mountains were soon cleared and Botha found himself without an enemy. He imagined that perhaps the Germans would make some kind of stand along the River Swakop, but that was not to be. When Windhoek and Grootfontein were captured by early January 1915, the conquest of the colony was completed. Botha ensured that the white man’s supremacy in the area was kept in place, as the German civilian administration was replaced by the South African one, whilst German schools and hospitals continued to function. Soon the Afrikaner immigration to the colony increased and Botha returned to Pretoria. Having solved this question so easily, Botha was able to send an South Africa Expeditionary Force to France. Its first corps, leaded, Lt. Gen. Jan Smuts arrived to France by November 1915, followed by a Second Corps (Lt. Gen. A. J. Brink) by January 1st, 1916.

ScreenSave151-1.jpg

Togoland was Germany’s smallest African colony and the site of one of the most important structures in the German colonial empire. Kamina was Germany’s largest overseas wireless station, linking Berlin to the rest of Africa. However, it was not defended either. The deputy governor of Togoland, Major von Doerling, organized a few raids against British territory east of the Volta in the Gold Coast Colony, with the few paramiltary and native policemen that were not send to Europe. However, those forces were soon crushed. Even if the British had been taken totally by surprise. Von Doerling went then for a mass recruitment campaign then managed to place as many native Africans under arms, but it was too late: by then the Allies had recovered from the surprise.

The British had the Gold Coast Regiment at their disposal, and a French force from the Ivory Coast was also supplied and placed under British command. They were reinforced by a South African batallion that was on the way to France, but that was transported to Dahomey. Then, the Allied force advanced on all fronts and occupied the entire colony, including Kamina, by 5th February. It it took so long was due to the bad weather, the malaria and the African wilderness.

Cameroon, German colony since 1884, was equally doomed to its fate, as its native Schütztruppen -twelve companies- had been sent to France (1). Therefore the governor, Karl Ebermaier, had few options at his disposal and, when several French columns began to push into the southern Cameroons, an area with a poor climate, and then the British came from the North, Ebermaier had no other option but to surrender. Only the poverty of communications combined with the lack of infrastructure slowed the French speedy advance into Cameroon. By late March 1915 the campaign was over.

In East Africa the defence came from the units locally raised by the German landholders. For the British, East Africa was the home of the light cruiser Königsberg, a potent ship that could cause havoc on the high seas. It was in the interests of the Royal Navy, and the flow of Britain’s maritime traffic, that her base, Dar Es Salaam, be seized. However, when the Imperial troops moved forwards, they found nothing. Apparently, the cruiser and most of the garrison, along with his commander, Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, had been sent to Germany prior to the beginning of the war. Only a few formations Schütztruppen remained to quell with any rebellion -the memories of the uprising of the Maji-Maji in 1905-7 was still fresh in the mind of the governor, Heinrich von Schnee-. Lacking any worth enemy, the end came switfly and the transference of the administration from German to British hands went almost unnoticed in the turmoil of the war.

schutztruppe1.jpg

German askaris, prior to his departure to the Western Front.

Meanwhile, at home, it was time to make a change in command. Lieutenant-General Sir William Robertson, the new Chief of the Imperial General Staff, was called to pay a visit to the King to discuss the replacement of General French. His rate of failures and the fact that few of his officer scould stand him doomed him, and Robertson came to the conclusion that it was not fair to the Empire to retain French in command. Lord Stamfordham, private secretary to King George V, received the news of the discontent within the BEF and passed it on to the King. Concerned that the BEF’s fabric was fraying at the seams, the King visited France. There he had dnner with Haig, the First Army commander, who told the King that no one in the BEFhad any confidence in French. As this opinion was repeated to the king by two corps commanders, Lieutenant-Generals Haking and Fergusson, George V decided that it was time to get rid of French at once.

kitchener-robertson.jpg

Generals Kitchener and Robertson

Asquith met with the King and Kitchener and it was agreed that French was no longer up to the task Thus he was told, that the government considered him unsuitable for command. French took the news with dignity, but it lasted for not too long, as he tried to bring Kitchener down with himself. Trying to make Kitchener’s removal a precondition to his own resignation was a mistake, and Asquith informed French abruptly that he had no alternative but to resign: if he did not, the Prime Minister would sack him. French, of course, wrote his letter of resignation, which reached Asquith’s desk on 5th December 1915. He recommended Robertson as his successor, but only due to his hatred towards the only viable alternative to him: General Sir Douglas Haig. Escorted by the 19th Hussars to Boulogne, French boarded a vessel to England amidst tumultuous applause, while his successor, General Sir Douglas Haig, began to prepare for the daunting task of leading the BEF to victory. With the new British commander replacing French, the Allied begn to ponder other options for future actions. Doubts replaced early optimism. Was the Western Front permanently deadlocked?

haig-king.gif

Douglas Haig (left) with King George V and Princess Mary at Aldershot, May 1913

Soon, a cynical prayer ran along the frontline: "Please God send us a victory, but not in our sector".

However, the new offensive would have to wait for the next year, 1916, as 1915 was over.

(1) When I imagined the poor Askaris fighting along with our favorite Austrian corporal, in Flanders fields, I had to fight the urge of grinning widely, trust me

@Enewald: And the British army against his French overlord :D

@quaazi: No, schoolgirls have a lot more of sense.

Königsberg :D

@El Pip: I'm tempted to force Hugie to speak French. Or to speak with French (the general). Or to suggest Ottawa to send him as embassador to Parus.

@Nathan Madien: Thank you, Nathan. I'm just imagined Dougie Haig wearing a skirt and plaits...

@Sir Humphrey: A fine comment that should deserve a medal, indeed... :D

@Tommy4ever: Don't worry, soon they'll begin to make the war in our favourite Italian style... :D er... oh, wait :mad:

Last edited:
Out of everything I could talk about in regards to this update...

haig-king.gif

Douglas Haig (left) with King George V and Princess Mary at Aldershot, May 1913[/CENTER]

Why is Princess Mary riding a horse like that?