• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
poor Pu Yi I always feel sorry for him. Could you not have just let him stay in the Forbidden City and enjoy himself? Why must he always be thrown out and mistreated? :(

Thus starts the end of the Qing... Long live China!

I'm going to copy those events for my personal KR copy... :)

Although it seems the original KR events forgot to include the possibility of ROC displacing the Germans, so it took the disappearance of the AOG as Qing expansion. Oh well, that actually makes your job much easier! Crush those Qing puppets!

I'm going to copy those events for my personal KR copy... :)

Although it seems the original KR events forgot to include the possibility of ROC displacing the Germans, so it took the disappearance of the AOG as Qing expansion. Oh well, that actually makes your job much easier! Crush those Qing puppets!

I should probably save this reply for my next update, but at the same time, this something I've been wanting to bring up about KR.

Yes it is indeed the most fun and original mod for HOI2, but it truly has some glaring flaws...

1. Being the lackluster AI, all of them spam infantry, and they aren't very aggressive towards achieving their goals. Any country that builds more than 3 armored divisions is going to make quick work of it's infantry spamming neighbors.

2. The fact that the Events only really take the game up to about 1941, 1943 if you play as a Major.

3. This is my biggest issue, also having to do with the events. They make WAY too much use of flags here. Now I understand the huge usefulness of flags, and I used them myself in this AAR, however, if you (the player) do anything to prevent the triggering of a special flag inducing event, an entire series of events will be prevented and left out of the game, even if their other conditions may actually be met. Which in some cases leads to some pretty boring games. Not only that, but many of the events contain atrocious typos and grammatical mistakes. I've actually had to go ahead and fix many of them myself just for my own peace of mind. Some other issues I have with the events you actually mentioned yourself, the lack of consideration for "odd happenings" where maybe one country that wasn't supposed to be a big deal, suddenly is, and it results in a massive butterfly effect of entire event chains failing to fire.

The only reason I don't bring this up directly with the KR devs is that they often seem to get very defensive on the subject. I would gladly share my own fixes, but they could have done some more polish in a few areas. If at least in their primary Event Chains.

P.S. Those events I wrote are still missing some brackets, and you may have to comment out a line or two in Japan.txt

Those are empty spaces for some additional event paths I'm working on.

Last edited:
A great Update! I too always feel sad for old Pu-Yi, Maybe something can be worked out with him, but most likely he will have to be disposed of.

Your events look quite good, however in one you have the sentance "It will not be long before challenge us for supremacy over the continent." You need to add "they" between "before" and "challenge".

A great Update! I too always feel sad for old Pu-Yi, Maybe something can be worked out with him, but most likely he will have to be disposed of.

Your events look quite good, however in one you have the sentance "It will not be long before challenge us for supremacy over the continent." You need to add "they" between "before" and "challenge".

I've discovered worse problems than that ;_;

For some reason, the Japanese DOW event seems to fire without being triggered. As does the Fengtien Republic DOW event. I have no idea why, and its really bugging me >_<

I've discovered worse problems than that ;_;

For some reason, the Japanese DOW event seems to fire without being triggered. As does the Fengtien Republic DOW event. I have no idea why, and its really bugging me >_<

Why don't you just delete the event or present it as an evil Japanese backstab? And aren't the Fengtien boys Japanese Puppets?

Why don't you just delete the event or present it as an evil Japanese backstab? And aren't the Fengtien boys Japanese Puppets?

If you read all of the events you will get a clear picture.

I finally got my special events to work at long last, so the AAR can continue. I've also been talking with the KR devs at their forums, and they liked the Events I made. Not sure what will come of it, but it could be cool. And so without further ado...

titleimage.png

Pu Yi is no Emperor - Part 2

chipzkpfw1.jpg

Chinese Tanks based off of German designs stolen from AOG R&D Centers.

Before the opening days of the Qing War, the Revolutionary leaders were not yet sure what they could expect from the Qing Army. The Qing had been directly supported by the Kaiser for nearly a decade, it was fully expected the Qing Forces to be the most modern force in China, next to the Republic of course.

chapter060.jpg

However fact is often stranger than fiction. Qing units throughout the front were utterly disorganized and barely equipped on an equal level to the Republic. In many cases, the Republic's rapid development programs had given the Revolutionary Army the edge in every battle. The the Nations of MittleEuropa were shocked and dismayed with how quickly Republican forces swept aside Qing "opposition".

chapter059.jpg

On top of it all, this would be the first time tanks would be seen in China. Qing Officers had seen them in Europe, but since even the Germans dismissed tanks as a worthless distraction as a result of British failures along the Western Front during the Weltkrieg; it was a surprise to see the Chinese Revolutionaries use them to such effect. Qing soldiers who had NEVER seen such devices before had little idea how to deal with them and others simply fled the battlefield.

chapter061.jpg

While the bulk of the Revolutionary Army pushed northward, other smaller Corps had much more specific missions to achieve. Led by Chiang Kai-Shek, Republican Divisions captured the former Legation Cities, and immediately put an end to the crime and corruption there. While there was little armed resistance, many arrests were made by the Army to keep the crime-lords in line. Many Foreign Nationales were also trapped in the cities during their capture. However, care was taken not to create an international incident.

chapter062.jpg

For many in the Republic, the battle of Shanghai would be on of the most important and symbolic battles in Chinese History. The city had been lost of foreign interest long ago, this would be China's chance to finally take back what had been lost for so long. 80,000 Republican Troops of mixed quality faced off against 30,000 Qing Soldiers and Militia.

chapter063.jpg

After 8 hours of fighting for the city streets, the battle had been won by Republican Forces. However, unlike the rural areas of China, many in Shanghai were not sure how to welcome the Revolutionary Army. And as a result, the taking of the City was much more restrained than had been in other parts of China.

chapter064.jpg

After rapid success all along the front, from Sicchuan to Shanghai, morale in the Revolutionary Army was the highest it had ever been. Qing forces tried their best to fight for their emperor but fell short on every occasion. The Democratic Spirit was strong in China and for many Monarchy meant weakness. Pu Yi's time had come.

chapter065.jpg

However, on the other side of the globe, one man (a powerful man) did not take kindly to the events taking place in China. Having already sent a warning once, it was decided that the Kaiser would have to make good on his promise to protect his Qing puppet. But the man was getting old, would his last days on earth be spent witnessing the collapse of his empire?

kaiserq.jpg

With Germany's Asian possessions under threat, will the Kaiser live to lead his Empire through these troubled times, or will he die wondering what will come of next few decades. Will his son and Heir Apparent soon take the thrown? And will he be the one to save the German Reich? Will the Chinese Republic hold strong against the world's premier military machine? Or will China face humiliation at Eurpean hands once again?

Yay it's back, with far more German anger!

Awesome, it's back, I had written this off.

Well, you'll have a tough fight, but I think you'll come through in the end. Make shure to secure the shores.

Well, don't worry. Germany is a bit far away from China. Now you have a good reason to take Tsingao and Hainan. :D

And Vietnam in the same stroke...

Viden, Milites, & Quantum: Oh yes, the Germans finally enter the fray. This is the big one, and it won't disappoint.

Maj. von Mauser: You wrote it off? ;_; Bah, no matter, its back and more must still be accomplished! And oh yes, those Shores will be very secure.

Kurt_Steiner: Oh yes, maybe not right away. But China's reach is long!

DeSota: This is a reality I find sadly unfortunate. I'm playing KR Beta IV, maybe Beta V fixed that. I do not know.

-------------------------

titleimage.png

Pu Yi is no Emperor - Part 3

Germany's Declaration of War was neither unexpected or unwanted. The Germans so far had done everything expected of them and they had yet to disappoint. However, whatever example the Kaiser wanted to make of the Chinese would not yet happen.

chapter066.jpg

In a twist good fortune, the People's Republic of Vietnam rose up from German Oppression and declared themselves a Syndicalist State. Lead by the enigmatic leader Ho Chi Min, the Vietnamese would prove to be a useful ally in defeating the German Trade Empire, or at least tie up German Troops until the Qing are defeated.

chapter067.jpg

With Germany at war with China, Chinese divisions stationed between Indochina and Hainan began moving East to take the Island before the Germans reinforce the Garrisons there.

chapter068.jpg

In the North, the War with the Qing continued without delay. After capturing Shanghai, Republican troops pushed farther into the urban strip comprising of Nanjing, Suzhou and Shanghai. The assault of Nanjing and Suzhou was simultaneous, and Qing forces were pushed back in both Cities.

chapter069.jpg

In the west, Republican and Millenarian Forces continued thier drive north to the Capital of Beijing. Large troop concentrations in the area made the fight slower going but Republican Armor made the difference.

chapter070.jpg

With the threat of German Amphibious assaults, new divisions meant to fight against the Qing were redirected to the coast and the Capital. These units were not pleased to be taken so far from the fight, but were reassured that their missions were just as important as those fighting the Qing.

chapter072.jpg

The battle for Nantong which started as a small skirmish erupted into one of the largest battles yet fought between the two Chinese Factions. Each side sending their best general to fight for the future of that city.

chapter073.jpg

The battle lasted for 28 hours leading to a hard won Republican Victory.

chapter074.jpg

In a hasty effort to follow up on the victory in Nantong, the Republican forces in Hefei supported by units in Nanjing launched an attack on Yangzhou, this however was probably premature and lead to the first major defeat dealt to the Republic by Qing forces.

chapter075.jpg

A second attempt on the City would bear better fruit however.

chapter076.jpg

To the west, Republic Mountain troops faced off against a horribly outdated cavalry division in the plains of Kaifeng. The Qing mounted units were torn to pieces by the light artillery and fast moving foot infantry. If the Qing Empire should survive, the Germans would need to send support soon.

chapter077.jpg

In south China, Republican forces would get their first taste for combat with the dreaded German Army. 30,000 Chinese Soldiers challenged 10,000 German Soldiers for supremacy over the Leizhou Peninsula. Germany would get her first taste of Bitter Defeat.

chapter078.jpg

For the Vietnamese, their war for Independence was going much differently unfortunately, the Kaiser pushed north and retook the important urban and industrial centers, regulating the Vietnamese to isolated jungle warfare and guerrilla tactics. How long they could last in such a situation was hard to tell.

chapter079.jpg

The rush to take the Island of Hainan was tragically thwarted by German Naval Supremacy, any ships, Civilian or Military, could not cross the straight to reach Hainan without en curing the wrath of the Kaiser's Navy.

chapter080.jpg

The rush to reinforce Republican positions along Nantong/Yangzhou were among the most coordinated efforts the Republic had yet put forth. It was a race against time to defeat Pu Yi before the Kaiser could send reinforcements. The ports of Yantai and Tsingtao were of course, priority at this point.

chapter081.jpg

Qing Forces were also fully aware of their situation and wanted nothing more than to halt the Republican advance so as to allow German Forces to arrive.

chapter082.jpg

Because of the massive Qing Troop concentrations north of Nantong, new efforts were put forth in the north and West of that Area, to relieve pressure on Chiang's men. The Battle for Anyang was to be known later as one of the dirtiest as it was fought in some of the worst weather in the season, against well entrenched enemy forces, and against German Bombing Raids. But despite all of that, Republican forces won in the end.

chapter083.jpg

Further north, Republican military planners sent orders to Millenarian forces to assault Qing troops holed up in Datong, in an effort to threaten the Qing Capital. The Diversion worked.

chapter084.jpg

In a daring push north and East, Mj. General Xu Guozhang sent his Panzer Division into the teeth of Qing opposition and won. Taking Jinan Province, splitting the Qing lines in Two, and most importantly, exposing German held Tsingtao and Yantai to Republican threat.

chapter085.jpg

With the war far from over, Republican forces have a lot yet to accomplish, however, advances were already well made, with the Legation Cities captured, German Leizhou Peninsula taken, and the Nanjing-Shanghai Strip under republican Control, things look bleak for Pu-Yi.

Last edited:
Interesting AAR, this is my first time seeing a KR AAR featuring the Chinese, much less one of the few for eastern factions.

In regards to the thing about German troops physically intervening in China, it seems to happen in Beta V. I'm currently playing the reborn Soviet Union (might make an aar over that depending on how this playthrough goes), and the far east has gotten into a war between the Qing and Japan. Germany has intervened on behalf of the Qing, and they landed a fairly large force to prepare (though this is fairly odd, as those soldiers could be better used against the French and myself barreling down their throats). I assume that they'd do the same in the event of Republican China becoming a threat to their interests.

Suggestion: if the Russian revolution happens, ally with the Mensheviks then you'd get a new Democratic Soviet Union as an ally and a new force as part of the new world order.

Nice work. I had forgot the Millinerians were your allies, of course they will be dealt with later?