• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
poor Pu Yi I always feel sorry for him. Could you not have just let him stay in the Forbidden City and enjoy himself? Why must he always be thrown out and mistreated? :(
See the memories of George Macartney. In my opinion, he manchu ruler in China were similar as the Turkey governor in Greece.

See the memories of George Macartney. In my opinion, he manchu ruler in China were similar as the Turkey governor in Greece.

Me smells a challenge!

chapter01.jpg

You mean here?​

When the revolution starts, you receive like about 9 divisions outright, 6 '43 Militia's, 1 '36 INF, and 2 '18 INF.
From that event up to 4 AOG Divisions (of random choosing) will also be converted to the Revolutionary Chinese. This number varies from game to game because sometimes the game will pick duplicates. (so the total number defecting may actually be fewer. I was lucky this time around and got the full number of them. Including an AOG Cav Division.)

On top of this, any units stationed in Guangzhou and Shoaguan will also get converted to the side of the Revolution. So yes, I did get fairly large number of units starting. And trust me, I needed every one of them. This wasn't my first time attempting this scenario. A few others I had failed miserably.

chapter01.jpg

You mean here?​

When the revolution starts, you receive like about 9 divisions outright, 6 '43 Militia's, 1 '36 INF, and 2 '18 INF.
From that event up to 4 AOG Divisions (of random choosing) will also be converted to the Revolutionary Chinese. This number varies from game to game because sometimes the game will pick duplicates. (so the total number defecting may actually be fewer. I was lucky this time around and got the full number of them. Including an AOG Cav Division.)

On top of this, any units stationed in Guangzhou and Shoaguan will also get converted to the side of the Revolution. So yes, I did get fairly large number of units starting. And trust me, I needed every one of them. This wasn't my first time attempting this scenario. A few others I had failed miserably.

yeah just tested playign as RoC i took ove china but it took a bit longer than for you. But the units that didnt spAWN IN the capital never win the battles you had units that spawned outside the capital because i dont think there were any enemy soldiers on those spots :) if you understand what i mean

Oh yes indeed, like I said, I was lucky. There are many other occasions where the units spawn in poor locations and leads to an unnecessary loss of good divisions.

Another thing about the early phase of the war that I had not mentioned in the AAR proper was that I had infact dedicated about 3-5 divisions towards cutting off any AOG units stationed near German Vietnam. Taking that area gave a good strategic fallback area just in case my main campaign failed horribly.

I love this AAR just keeps getting better ;)

subscribed!!

Maj. von Mauser: The Millenarians are a bit of a confusing subject. They aren't exactly "Hard Right Authoritarians" in the western sense. If anything, you could think of them as a religious cult with an Army. They will be dealt with, but not in the way one would expect.

franc001sher & Beladriel: That was an interesting read. However, it was more indicative of the British view of the world at the time than it was of the actual situation in China. But it was true that the Manchu Emperors were seen as a foreign power by many of the Han Chinese.

Mozla: Well thank ye! I hope I continue to entertain with this.

Xesan: I can't promise that it won't die, but I will promise to keep it going for at least longer than six pages! :D Especially after all of the work I've put into it by now -_-

---------------------------

titleimage.png

Pu Yi is no Emperor - Part 4

With a large number of Qing Forces cornered into the Xuzhou/Lianyungang corridor, the Revolutionary high command formulated at sweeping maneuver that would annihilate a third of the Qing Army. Using Xu Guozhang's Panzer Division as a hard hitting Pivot Point, the Republican army would push up against the coast to destabilize the Qing lines, while at the same time moving a secondary force to capture Yantai and encircle the Kaiser's lone infantry division in Tsingtau. Success in this mission would lead to a rapid victory in the rest of Qing China. Through the course of the Yantai Offensive, over 250,000 Republican Troops would face off against 130,000 Qing and 10,000 German Soldiers. Losses on both sides would be later compared to the Weltkrieg by German Strategists.

chapter086.png

In the first phase, a dual assault upon Xuzhou and Lianyungang was put forward. Units based in Fuyang, Hefei, and Kaifeng(as strategic reserves) would Strike against Qing Divisions in Xuzhou. Units in Yangzhou and Nantong would strike at Liangyungang.

chapter087.jpg

12 hours before the complete capture of Xuzhou and Liangyungang, a secondary assault was launched on Yantai against a trapped Qing Cavalry Division. The attack, launched by Xu Guozhang's Panzer Division and supported by two Infantry Divisions would last no longer than a few hours and lead to the Capture of Yantai by Republican forces.

chapter088.jpg

With final capture of Yantai Imminent, von Falkenhausen faced off against the German General Curt Haase who commanded his lone German Division with skill and finesse, the Qing Forces however were too disorganized and demoralized to provide proper support. Tsingtau would fall to Republican hands. When fighting with only 60,000 troops against 250,000 one has little choice but to surrender.

chapter089.jpg

The German Defeat at Tsingtau would be one of the most humiliating moments in Kaiser's long rule. Never before had a so-called "uncivilized" culture inflicted such a devastating blow to a European power. With the Qing Army collapsing on all fronts, the loss of German Controlled Tsingtau was probably one of the most decisive battles of the Chinese Third Revolution. Not only had a third of the Qing Army been annihilated, but so had a large portion of German, Belgian, and Ottoman Aircraft, was Tsingtau was a major airbase the German thought could never be taken. As a result of such claims, none of the using nations evacuated their Squadrons from the airfield. Hundreds of Foreign pilots were taken prisoner along with their officers. German aircraft were disassembled and loaded onto trains to be taken to the Republic's Air HQ in Nanchang where a Level 10 Airfield was under construction and supervised by Clair Chenault.

chapter090.jpg

Of all of the Chinese Commanders who fought in the Yantai Offensive, none would be more decorated or more praised than Xu Guozhang, who had yet to lose a battle. One of the main reasons for his success can be attributed to his offensive spirit as a tank commander and his ability to pick his battles carefully. His battles were small in comparison to those commanded by the likes of Chiang Kai-shek and Falkenhausen, but his skill as a leader and the loyalty he earned from his troops is indisputable. His popularity by this point would be indisputable across all of Free China. In the years following the revolution streets and parks would be named for him. As well as a small Bronze Monument in his home town.

chapter091.jpg

Due to the success of the Chinese Panzer Divisions, revolutionary planners began to push for the production of a fleet of militarized trucks to be used as rapid transports for the Republic's Infantry. These "Motorized" units would be used in tandem with Chinese Panzers to defeat the enemies of the Republic. The first of these new divisions was expected to arrive shortly after the new year. Along with the production of the Army, development of the Nanchang Air HQ was also well underway, with completion expected near the first half of 1940. New Air Squadrons were slated for production in 1939.

chapter092.jpg

With the capture of the Nanjing-Shanghai Strip, the Industrial Capacity of the Republic nearly doubled. Allowing for the first time ever, the ability to research and develop weapon and industrial technology at the same pace of the Great Powers around the world. Industrial Effiecincy was also improved following the completion of modern machine tool research. This would also aid in production of the Motorized Units.

chapter093.jpg

Attempts throughout the Qing War were made to provide the Vietnamese with material and diplomatic support. Unfortunately, Ideological Differences made it difficult for both sides to forge an alliance against their common enemy. This lack of appreciation for the Chinese Aid greatly annoyed republican leaders. Even more unfortunate would be the massive and unnecessary loss in Chinese, Vietnamese and German lives later in the war as a result of Ho Chi Minh's suspicion of Chinese Motives. (Which on the whole were genuinely sympathetic to the Vietnamese cause.)

chapter094.jpg

The Months following the Yantai Offensive would be marked by a multitude of one-sided battles against Qing Forces, with German Support nearly gone, and Qing High Command effectively impotent, the National Revolutionary Army essentially ran roughshod over the Qing "Army".

chapter095.jpg

As the Vietnamese Revolution slowly turned sour, Chinese leaders officially gave up on Ho Chi Minh's government and began preparations for the Invasion of Indochina. German Commanders in Hanoi expected this and began an unending bombing campaign across all of southern China, attacking both Military and Civilian targets. While the Kaiser refused to official recognize the RoC as a modern state, the reality could not be denied by German Military leaders. Round the clock bombing of Chinese Cities began in earnest. Civilians in Hong Kong and Guangzhou would be the unfortunate victims of these attacks. The result however would be a further solidification of the Chinese People to the Chinese Republic as small Army units in those cities worked tirelessly to defend them against Air Attacks to provide the population with medical and relief aid.

chapter096.jpg

At the Beginning of 1939, the Pu Yi could see his end. Republican forces marched on Tianjin, and Baoding. Moving ever closer to the Imperial Capital of Beijing. Even the cold winter could not stop the march of revolution.

chapter097.jpg

In the west, Millenarian Forces were equally effective in defeating the Qing Army. Soon enough Pu Yi would have no route for escape. Combat Engineers Brigades were also finally approaching deployment readiness and would be used to great effect in the coming full-scale war with Germany.

chapter098.jpg

The Capture of Tianjin would lead to the destruction of several more German Air Units. At this point in time, Germany had lost more planes to the Chinese Army than they had to the Chinese Airforce!

chapter099.jpg

The Battle for Beijing would be the single most symbolic victory in Republican History. Over 290,000 Republican and Millenarian Troops would fight block by block to capture the ancient City. Unable to escape Pu Yi could only listen helplessly as the sound of vicious modern war thundered outside the walls of the Forbidden City. Chiang Kai-Shek and the rest of his staff gleefully anticipated the greatest prize to ever be won in the since the start of the revolution. This time the Monarchist Sympathizers would pay for their stupidity.

chapter100.jpg

Following the capture of Jining, the remnants of the Qing Army were effectively cut in half. With nowhere to go, surrender to the Revolution was the only logical option.

chapter101.jpg

In the The Palace of Heavenly Purity, Pu-Yi fully dressed in his Imperial Military Uniform, stood in front of his throne awaiting the lead members of the Revolutionary Congress. He knew full well that his rule had come to an end. This would be his only chance to leave power with a sense of dignity rather than humiliation. The German Empire had abandoned him, and now here he stood regally, ready to negotiate the terms of China's New Government.
Not more than a few moments later, the entrance of the Ceremonial Hall was opened and the Members of the NKMT arrived to discuss the terms, with them, but not officially affiliated was the Widow of Sun Yat-sen, Soong Ching-ling.
Officially, Pu Yi would be forced to Abdicate and return to civilian life under house arrest until the end of the war with Germany. From there he would be allowed to live a free life as a Citizen of the Republic of China, equal to all others. He would however be forbidden of ever returning to Beijing or the Forbidden City. Having no choice but to accept, Pu-Yi signed the documents dictating his abdication and abolition of the Qing Empire, "forever more."

chapter102.png

With Qing Empire now only a memory, the People of China now faced a far more dangerous foe...

Last edited:
I guess Pu Yi will be under careful eyes of Kuomintang, heh.

Good job. Scratch the Qing off the list.

Next stop HANOI!!!!

Beladriel: At least he'll be better treated than he was under Mao.

Maj. von Mauser: The real fight has yet to start!

Mozla: I like the ring of that! :D

Viden & Kurt_Steiner: Traitors :mad:

titleimage.png

"Next Stop: HANOI!"

chapter102.jpg
Victory Celebrations over the defeat of the Qing Empire were short lived. With the Kaiser's Empire slowly pushing northward from Siagon, Chinese diplomats and supply smugglers worked hard to keep the Vietnamese resistance strong. German troops were slowly pushing the Vietnamese Guerillas out of the country and into Siam, and China. Because the Republic had an officially friendly stance with the PRV, a large number of refugees were crossing the border, more than were expected and soon the budding Republic would have little ability to manage them. With much of China still very rural, and in many places, still undeveloped, the additional Vietnamese refugees only put extra strain on the country. Many military planners in the Republic demanded that the PRV allow Chinese troops to cross the border and crush the German army in Vietnam before they reached Southern China.

chapter103.jpg
Unfortunately, Ho Chi Min was a stubborn man, who trusted neither the Germans, nor his Chinese "allies". As a result. All China's border guard could do was put the Germans under attack whenever they approached the southern border. But this would not be able to last long. The PRV was expected to collapse soon and with it would be a massive flood of German Infantry and Shock Troops. The RoC unfortunately was still redeploying the army south. And it would be several weeks before their arrival.

chapter104.jpg
While the Situation in Vietnam looked worse and worse, the United States continued to warm up to the Republic of China. With the destruction of the Qing, the RoC was the only major political faction remaining in China. As a result, the United States saw fit to recognize the Republic as the Sovereign Protector of the Chinese people, and an American Political Embassy was set up in the Chinese Capital.

thecapital.jpg
While on the subject of the Chinese Capital, following the defeat of the Qing, and with the Republic the only major government in China, a debate was held as to decide where the capital would be. It was agreed that Guangzhou was no longer an Ideal location to lead the country from, considering it's proximity to the German Colonial possessions. After a week of debate, it came down to two cities, one being the old Qing Capital of Beijing, which already had a firm political infrastructure and was favored by the conservatives in the Government. The other option was the old Ming Dynasty capital of Nanjing, which was strongly favored by the liberal and radical elements in the government for its central location and its connection with a more favored part of China's history. With the liberals and radicals forming a voting coalition, Nanjing was ultimately picked as the New Capital for the Republic.

chapter105.jpg
While battles had not been fought for more than a month, the German Empire reminded the Republic that the war was still on. Baltic Troops from the German colony in Europe had attempted a capture of the Naval/Air Base in Tianjin, however, with little support from the Kaiser's men, the Baltic troops found themselves stranded and captured themselves.

chapter106.jpg
As the Revolution in Vietnam slowly collapsed, orders were given to the border units to prepare for total war with Germany. Help would be given to the Vietnamese for as long as they stood to fight, but the moment Vietnam collapses, the invasion of Indochina would begin.

chapter107.jpg
Finally, on the 15th of April 1939, German forces destroyed the Vietnamese revolution. Now the war would finally hit it's apex. The most feared army in the world would face off against the determined and battle hardened Chinese. Knowing full well that the survival of thier nation depended on their victories. The Germans would soon know just how much heart and determination the Chinese really had.

chapter108.jpg
The Chinese Invasion of Vietnam finally began, where the Germans once faced disorganized guerrillas, now they faced an organized and eager Chinese Army.

chapter109.jpg
In the mountains of Luang Prabang, Chinese mobile infantry and light mountain troops assaulted tired German infantry from two fronts. Resistance was stiff but China had the numbers. Unfortunately, The German army in Haiphong was more numerous and more rested. They were ready for the Chinese and they were well equipped. However, they were surprised to find Chinese tanks on the battlefield. This was indeed going to be a war the Kaiser had not anticipated.

chapter110.jpg
Unfortunately, the battle in Haiphong would backfire for the Chinese war planners and would lead to a sudden weak point in the Indochinese theater. Many of the units assigned to the City of Bose found themselves too exhausted to continue the fight against the Germans and retreated northwards. Leaving a hole in the Chinese lines.

chapter111.jpg
Taking advantage of the confusion among Chinese forces, the German generals attempted to take the port city of Qinzhou as well, however, defenders there were more steadfast than those in Bose, the Republic held the city despite massive lose in life.

chapter112.jpg
After a long march, Chinese troops occupied Luang Prabang and held the mountains there. For many months more, this would become an important staging area for the rest of the invasion.

chapter113.jpg
Internally, the Chinese revolutionaries had been trying relentlessly to send a spy into Germany, after many failed attempts, China finally had a look into the German military machine.

chapter114.jpg
As the war continued, German Airpower proved to be the greatest nuisance, bombing Chinese cities 'round the clock. Efforts were made to improve the domestic air doctrines so that Chinese pilots would be able to Challenge the German Airforce in the air rather being shot up in the airfields.

chapter115.jpg
On the 27th of May, a massive effort was made to capture Haiphong and encircle the German forces in Bose. Unfortunately, their efforts would fall flat and lead to another German counter-attack. To make matters worse, scouts in Luang Prabang reported massive German numbers heading north from Hanoi and Saigon. The Kaiser was determined to make an example of the RoC.

Mmmh... the tide might be changing for the worse...

Leviathan07: THE LINE WILL HOLD!!!

Kurt_Steiner: The night is always darkest before the dawn.

titleimage.png

A Bloodbath in Vietnam - Part 1

chapter116.jpg
Losing Wenshan and Bose were events that the Revolutionary Army took very seriously. With many units still making their way to the front, there was a scramble to reorganize the front lines and push the Germans back into Vietnam. Bose was the first to be brought under attack by Chinese forces and after a bloody fight, the city was won again.

chapter117.jpg
Germany's Air Superiority was a major problem for the Republic. Units were being annihilated by the MittleEuropa Airforces on a daily basis. With AAA still under development, units had very little to defend themselves with, and with the Airforce still being trained and organize by the American Volunteers, there was little Chinese resistance in the skies.

chapter118.jpg
The Battle for Wenshan was swift but with many Chinese units still not fully rested from their previous battles, the fight was not as smooth as it could have been.

chapter119.jpg
This was proven not long afterwords as the Kaiser's army retook the city shortly after the Revolutionary Army occupied it.

chapter120.jpg
In a second attempt for the city, units from southern Yunnan pushed hard to deny the Germans any headway.

chapter121.jpg
Unfortunately, capturing Wenshan meant losing Bose again.

chapter122.jpg
Units from southern Yunnan were redirected east to cover the eastern border of Bose in a second attempt for the city.

chapter123.jpg
As more Divisions were redirected to new fronts, the first corps of Chinese Intercepter Squadrons was finally in the air to defend the skys of China.

chapter124.jpg
Because the Bose/Wenshan situation showed several glaring flaws in the way the Army was executing her mission, a new Cheif of Staff was chosen who proved popular with the troops and was able to reorganize forces faster than his predecessor. In this grueling jungle fight, a slower more methodical approach would be needed, and the troops would need more proactive leadership in their ranks.

chapter125.jpg
As the war dragged on, the chief of the Navy began pushing for modernization of the tiny (re: non-existent) fleet. It was proposed that should Germany still refuse peace with China (even with Vietnam captured), that more daring assaults on the German Empire would be required. A Navy was now required.

chapter126.jpg
On the 14th of July 1939, the battle for Bose was finally won.

chapter127.jpg
Feeling confident, the Republic sent their list of demands for peace. They were refused outright.

chapter128.jpg
With momentum on China's side, Von Falkenhausen renewed his offensive against German held Haiphong. This time, the Germans would face off against fully rested and prepared Chinese units.

chapter129.jpg
As the war looked up for China, so did the situation in the air, as the Chinese Revolutionary Air Force was now large enough for General Chennault to take command.

chapter130.jpg
The longer it took Germany to put down the revolution, the larger it grew.