• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifty-Seven : Recovering - 24.3.1941 To 26.3.1941
A Gentleman’s War : A Middle-East Command
(HoI3 TFH - UK AAR)
Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifty-Seven : Recovering - 24.3.1941 To 26.3.1941

udvA2gtK_o.jpg

By the morning of the 24th the Field Marshall found a report from Major General Blackadder next to his dish of tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon, scrambled eggs, toast, baked beans, crumpets, and bangers.

It turned out the 6th Infantry Division, along with the other divisions of the 1st ME Corps, would be ready pretty soon. At least in their organization. Their numbers, on the other hand, would take some time to recover.

It heavily depended on how fast reinforcements could be shipped.

At the same time the Mediterranean Fleet had been ordered to patrol the Gulf of Taranto.

1TAWyRFS_o.jpg

In other words under the ‘boot’ of Italy.

The rest of the news was somewhat mundane. The USSR broke a bunch of trade agreements, suggesting it was having economic troubles, while the Chinese Nationalists and the Chinese Communists had signed a trade agreement with each other. Suggesting they REALLY hated the bordering Japanese Empire more than each other. For now.

On the morning of the 25th the Mediterranean Fleet, on passing Malta, spotted a Italian Fleet which It was ordered to chase down.

Xdlcvigd_o.jpg

By noon Italian naval bombers, likely trying to protect the Italian Navy, attacked the Med. Fleet.

sC0dSwTC_o.jpg

Of course the CAGs, and the Malta fighters, reacted to protect the British Navy. A air clash the British won.

Sadly the Mediterranean Fleet failed to find and engage the Italian ships and was told to continue their patrol.

n8XcMQd3_o.jpg

Funny enough the CAGs found a lone ship at the ‘boot’, bombed it, and radioed the Fleet. Which of course, joined in.

KOE15KKW_o.jpg

The naval battle was a British victory and the lone Italian warship was sunk.

r56KNMoY_o.jpg

While on patrol the Med. Fleet did report a lot of movement in Italy itself. It looked like the Axis forces were preparing to try to take Sicily again.

76k5BKQ4_o.jpg

By evening the CAGs found more Italian warships to bomb. And of course they called in the Fleet.

CwSSrQUe_o.jpg

The British battleships were eager to engage. The Italian ships were of lower tonnage and the British Captains wanted more kills to their names.

An hour before midnight the Field Marshall was drinking his third glass of goat milk while glaring at his teddy bear.

Teddy was on his enemies’ list because of all the nasty things the bear had said during the last few days. Mostly in the form of criticism against Jeeves’s skills as a commander. Or lack of skills, in this case.

When the Captain came in the room that night, for the ‘Seventh Day’ briefing, he found a large pitcher tjat USE to be full of goat milk, the teddy bear sitting in one of the corners of the room, and a grumpy Field Marshall.

“Tell me the bad news first, Captain,” said his superior with a sigh.

“Not really any bad news,” remarked the Captain. “The Germans bombed Dover but our fighters attacked them and won the air clash. We are attacking German warships that get too close to the homeland and Norway is still holding out.”

“And all reports suggest the Italians have moved all units out of Greece,” he added. “Likely due to our try at their Capital. An overreaction to be sure but it may help us.”

“Also reports from within the US suggest the public see Germany as the greatest threat to them and their way of life,” he continued. “Not Japan. Which means they could join the Allies even if Japan does nothing in the Pacific Ocean.”

“Interesting,” remarked the Field Marshall. “Well, turn off the lights on the way out Captain. We have a lot of planning to do.”

• 3Like
Reactions:
Teddy was on his enemies’ list because of all the nasty things the bear had said during the last few days. Mostly in the form of criticism against Jeeves’s skills as a commander. Or lack of skills, in this case.
I move for the Teddy to replace Melchett/Jeeves, that bear appears to have a much firmer grasp of the practicalities of amphibious warfare than it's owner.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The End
Sadly, when I tried to start my next session the mod list did not show up on the opening screen. While my game was modded by me I also used Francescos Models Mod. Funny enough this did NOTHING for the UK's models so in hindsight I should have removed it before starting this AAR.

For some reason the mod list wasn't showing up. And if the mod could not be activated the saves would not work.

Long story short after a combined total of ten hours trying to get the game to work the game works. But the saves don't.

So, three strikes and you're out. In other words this AAR has ended and I don't plan to write any more HoI3 AAR in the future. And if I do I will likely mod it directly but not use outside mods. So HoI3 is being put away.

Also there was a steam security update in May but that was so long ago I don't think it had anything to do with the bad save files. Unless it was somehow delaid.

So I will, from now on, be focused on CK2 and my Dwarf Fortress story on Bay 12 Games.

BUT...

Victoria 2 is a game I do enjoy. And I have always wanted to do a Mexcian AAR with it. Also, from what I can tell, the Armies CAN be turned over to a AI. BUWAHAHAHA!

Sorry about that folks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I move for the Teddy to replace Melchett/Jeeves, that bear appears to have a much firmer grasp of the practicalities of amphibious warfare than it's owner.

Bears are excellent at everything, as we have found time and time again on these forums.

And it seems Teddy took the game down with him...oh well, good showing anyway Eurasia. I think we can assume the Soviets killed everyone, or something.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Bears are excellent at everything, as we have found time and time again on these forums.

And it seems Teddy took the game down with him...oh well, good showing anyway Eurasia. I think we can assume the Soviets killed everyone, or something.
I assume the USSR would have taken Europe either way. The Germans had left their border wide open.

Reactions:
Well bugger.

Do let us know if/when you start the Vicki2 Mexican AI Army monstrosity as it sounds like it will be... interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well bugger.

Do let us know if/when you start the Vicki2 Mexican AI Army monstrosity as it sounds like it will be... interesting.

Oh yes...Vick2 is very sporting in regards to Mexico. Often gives them a fighting chance against the US. Often by making the Confederate states absolutely massive.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Okay, a few things I think we learned from this AAR.

Italian North Africa is open to being taken very easily. And the NPC Navy's (at this point I think we all agree using the term AI is not cutting it) are hopeless against even semi-directed player naval operations.

And Germany needs to stay out of Norway.

PS - I have started a Victoria II game of Mexico six times. Twice I took Texas but the US always joined in the war EVEN when I had a Peace Treaty with it. So even after using 'gamey' tactics involving a war with the USCA it requires perfect timing. So I think Mexico is off the table. I would not mind playing the USA as I have some ideas of alternate history but there is so many USA games already. Any suggestions?

Playing as the CSA during the Civil War start is something I have not done before but I feel it will be a short AAR if the North has all the firepower and manpower.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Okay, a few things I think we learned from this AAR.

Italian North Africa is open to being taken very easily. And the NPC Navy's (at this point I think we all agree using the term AI is not cutting it) are hopeless against even semi-directed player naval operations.

And Germany needs to stay out of Norway.

PS - I have started a Victoria II game of Mexico six times. Twice I took Texas but the US always joined in the war EVEN when I had a Peace Treaty with it. So even after using 'gamey' tactics involving a war with the USCA it requires perfect timing. So I think Mexico is off the table. I would not mind playing the USA as I have some ideas of alternate history but there is so many USA games already. Any suggestions?

Playing as the CSA during the Civil War start is something I have not done before but I feel it will be a short AAR if the North has all the firepower and manpower.

Japan?

• 2Like
Reactions:
“Interesting,” remarked the Field Marshall. “Well, turn off the lights on the way out Captain. We have a lot of planning to do.”
It seems the lights were going out there, all over Europe and for your game! :(
So, three strikes and you're out. In other words this AAR has ended and I don't plan to write any more HoI3 AAR in the future.
A great pity, but the crew did have a very good run and certainly won comprehensively in North Africa and Sicily. Plaudits to you for this AAR. Re HOI3, you must of course do what is right for you. I’ve enjoyed following your work here over the last five or so years I’ve been viewing actively.
Victoria 2 is a game I do enjoy. And I have always wanted to do a Mexcian AAR with it. Also, from what I can tell, the Armies CAN be turned over to a AI. BUWAHAHAHA!
Good luck with that!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Oh no. Not another one... You really seem to have the worst luck with your HOI3 games...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have started a Victoria II AAR. It will be slow work as I don't have a lot of time to run three stories. But we will see where Japan goes.

Three stories? CK2, the new V2 … what is the third one?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions: