• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not long until the main event. To pass the time let us further mock Paradox, a subject which can never truly be exhausted.

N6ORiDN4_o.jpg
Also more Spitfire Mark Ones had been assembled and added to the Fighter Group in Liverpool. Soon the German pilots would find themselves fighting these advanced planes. Once the new units were organized enough.
Spitfire Mk.Is in early 1941 is a player (or in this case AI) problem in not researching fast enough. The fact the Spitfire is in the Multi-role tree and the Hurricane is the Interceptor is a long standing bit of Swedish incompetence. The issue that a Spitfire Mk.I can, according to Paradox logic, somehow only do 220mph, making it slower than both the Gloster Gladiator and Fiat CR.32 biplanes is just inexcusable stupidity.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Five : Some Confusion - 6.3.1941 To 7.3.1041
A Gentleman’s War : A Middle-East Command
(HoI3 TFH - UK AAR)
Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Five : Some Confusion - 6.3.1941 To 7.3.1041

9Hp9GXmN_o.jpg

When the Field Marshall came to breakfast on the 6th of March he found some interesting news next to his questionable fried eggs and weird tasting bacon that seem to have baked into a tart. The cooks testing out new ways to serve breakfast or was this some weird way of them trying to handle shortages in rations?

Anyway, one of the reports seemed to say the Mediterranean Fleet had been ordered to the Port of Catania instead of being sent to spy off the western coast of Italy.

“What is that about?” the Field Marshall asked the Captain as his poked his buttered toast. “I thought the warships were going to scout out Rome?”

“It was suggested they should refuel and refit before going on a major operations,” remarked the Captain as he served the Field Marshall his tea with one lump and cream.

“The Middle East Transport Flotilla is ready, though, right?” said the Field Marshall as he sniffed the blueberry jam. “And this is real blueberry jam?”

“The Flotilla in Catania is one hundred percent ready and that is a TYPE of jam,” was the Captain’s reply.

The Field Marshall grumbled about shortages and sipped some of his tea before moving onto the other reports.

B538scNc_o.jpg

One report notified him that most of the 1st Middle East would be ready within eighty-nine hours. In other words around late evening on the 9th of March. The transports would likely load up and leave the port under cover of darkness.

AIJACVwD_o.jpg

Another report stated that the units in Messina were in need of supply.

P3OiBbsW_o.jpg

In reaction to this a convoy was created to supply those units. And just in time too.

s4L8FJwy_o.jpg

For the Axis attacked Messina at the same time. Fifteen thousand attackers tried to cross to take the port away from the, over thirty-eight thousand, defenders.

While the defenders were lacking supplies they DID have the numbers and the superior leadership of Lt. General Harding. Maj. General Kempf, the Axis commander in charge, just wasn’t up to the task of invading Sicily.

ngXFZQ0G_o.jpg

The Germans had also attacked the Province of Ringebu. And failed. The Germans lost seven soldiers before withdrawing. It was a pitiful display of their situation in Norway. How they were winning and, yet, losing at the same time.

Right before ‘lunch’ the Field Marshall was told that the Mediterranean Fleet had finally arrived at the Port of Catania. Which was good news. Not only could the ships be refueled and resupplied but the CAGs could get some R&R also.

The rest of the day was slow.

But by 7th the news waiting for the Field Marshall was very positive. Well, at least one piece of news.

gvZmep4K_o.jpg

The Battle for Messina was a victory. The defenders had lost not one man. The Axis invaders had lost around five hundred. Not as major defeat like the other attacks on the but still a Axis defeat. No doubt it would make the Axis, and the Italians, look bad on their newspapers.

f3vUjuaO_o.jpg

There was also the news that a first line of anti-aircraft positions had been created in the Province of Ezbet Abu Keifu. No doubt useful to the Africa Command. Maybe.

ISCDXkoQ_o.jpg

As the Field Marshall was at ‘lunch’, pretending to get plastered in public, the 2nd ME HQ and the 7th Armoured Division were both ordered to head north to meet up with the rest of the Corps in Olbia. They, if everything went well, would be the second wave of invaders to hit Italy.

If things went well.

TsEMJKbf_o.jpg

Around evening news came from the US that made….little sense. Was the US about to enter the war? Or was those in the government using the European war as a excuse to make a grab for power?

DM3iUOTG_o.jpg

Shortly before midnight the Home Command Theatre was told to make Cagliari an important objective. In other words they were told to treat it as a very important port. This was likely the government, read Prime Minister, trying to force the Home Command Theatre to be more serious about the Mediterranean Theatre.

There was a fear about the Cabinet that this might spread out the resources of the Home Command but this idea was dismissed by the Prime Minister who felt the Home Command was barely doing anything at all. It was also guarding two islands in the Mediterranean. Surely it could send a unit to guard a third?

And so this chapter ended with the invasion of Italy being carefully prepared for while the rest of the world waited for the other shoe to drop. When was the US going join in? More importantly to the Europeans under German rule when would the USSR join in?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Interesting to see you goad the AI to send more units into the med by leaving a key port unoccupied and handing it to home command. It's definitely a fun game to play, though there is always the risk of an enemy airborne assault or amphib operation taking advantage of the opportunity before the AI fills the gap.

Let's hope it all goes well with our own landings, at least the first wave is made up of infantry this time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Or was those in the government using the European war as a excuse to make a grab for power?
Well FDR is president so it is definitely that. He might have plans for entering the war but they are assuredly secondary.

We continue to inch ever closer to the mainland invasion, hopefully in the next update. I also admire the ambition of Home Command in demanding two carriers, two battleships, loads of Marines, Paras and Transports and so on, despite their miserable failure to do anything much with the forces they already have. I do note they are not asking for garrisons to defend those Med Islands, which is not ideal, but then would they deploy them properly even if they had them? No of course they wouldn't, so no point worrying about it much.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I still don't get how Paradox failed so badly in telling their system (let's not refer to it as an AI) how to employ forces. Maybe it's because none of them seem to have done any actual research about how military forces were employed, or their design and doctrinal developments. This is especially acute in the Naval and Air Forces.

I know we've all ranted about this a bit ad nauseam, but it's always bothersome.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Six : Rome! - 8.3.1941 To 10.3.1941
(HoI3 TFH - UK AAR)
Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Six : Rome! - 8.3.1941 To 10.3.1941

WKMU6IKD_o.jpg

On the morning of the 8th the Field Marshall got some interesting news among his reports from London.

SIGB6jRr_o.jpg

Seems the eggheads had made advances in Single Engine Airframes.

“How exciting,” remarked the Field Marshall as he tasted his tea. “Oh goody. Real tea. It IS real tea?”

“It was made from part of a plant,” remarked the Captain.

“I have to stop asking about my meals,” mumbled the Field Marshall as he moved on to the next report.

Most of the rest of the day was boring.

On the 9th of March there was, at least, some action in northern Europe.

E6xv8QhA_o.jpg

The British in Norway had launched an attack on the Province of Nordli.

Over eight thousand Indian soldiers against just over three hundred cooks, clerks, and officers of a German HQ unit. Reports said it was, in fact, the Oslo HQ.

2TrCLqd5_o.jpg

The HQ, by end of the day, had been defeated. How it had ended up on the wrong side of the battle line was unknown.

0J33QU4y_o.jpg

Around the same time the Mediterranean Fleet was ordered to the Northern Tyrrhenian Sea. Its appearance would likely surprise the Italians and tell them somewhat was about to happen.

But by then, hopefully, it would be too late to stop the British invasion.

IQZkPRKA_o.jpg

For even as the warships moved out of the harbor the transports moved to follow them.

Evc8uUT3_o.jpg

Near the end of the day the 2nd ME was in position. They just had to rest and top off their supplies. Reports stated they would be ready around the 14th of March.

T7DdT3MJ_o.jpg

By 1 PM on the 10th of March the warships of the Mediterranean Fleet were in position. They were able to report that Rome was defended. But lightly.

Rome had a HQ unit and two other units. While the nearby Port of Civitavecchia only had one unit. If these were like other Italian units they were likely built with just two brigades.

Half the carrier planes were told to carry out ground attacks while the other half were told to carry out air interception missions to protect the Fleet and the, soon to arrive, transports.

dDOs3Iqs_o.jpg

The transports arrived at 6 PM, right before nightfall, to send over twenty-six thousand soldiers against fourteen thousand defenders in Rome.

The troops were under Blackadder and were supported by the warship’s guns.

PefloHdR_o.jpg

A lone division was invading Civitavecchia. Over nine thousand soldiers against just over five thousand defenders. These attackers were also supported by the Fleet’s big guns.

It was hoped that this unit might take the port early and hit the defenders from the flank. Or hold the port for the second wave to come in and sweep the inner regions.

ZNKWki34_o.jpg

Two CAGs attacked the defenders in Rome around 7 PM. And they estimated they may have killed nineteen defenders.

yN3yeA6u_o.jpg

Of course the Italian fighters arrived to try to stop the attack. And they failed to stop the bombing of the enemy ground positions of course because they got there late.

tFxupfnq_o.jpg

AND the other two CAGs showed up to help the other British pilots. But the Italian pilots continued to engage and even followed the CAGs back to their carriers!

7vBpFrck_o.jpg

They still lost but it was kind of brave of them to follow the carrier planes back to a Fleet full of anti-aircraft guns. Oh, the stupidity!

So the day closed with the invasion of Italy having started and the Italians too spread out to do anything about it.

And the troops involved in the invasion were likely the most experienced veterans in the British Empire due to all their time in North Africa!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Going ashore straight into Rome? That's...

A courageous decision.

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting to see you goad the AI to send more units into the med by leaving a key port unoccupied and handing it to home command. It's definitely a fun game to play, though there is always the risk of an enemy airborne assault or amphib operation taking advantage of the opportunity before the AI fills the gap.

Let's hope it all goes well with our own landings, at least the first wave is made up of infantry this time.

A courageous decision.
Let us just say that I really am not impressed by the Italian's A.I. or whatever it is. Also it looks like the Port may fall before Rome. And if I can get the second wave in...well, who knows what will happen. I might just end up under siege or may cut Italy in half.

If the Italians do something smart...all the better for the story and we are all shocked. If they do something stupid...then same old, same old.

Reactions:

A courageous decision.
Strong words! :D

With any luck the direct approach will work well in Rome, cutting the Peninsula in two and trapping a bunch of enemy units in the south.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Seven : Somewhat Aggressive - 11.3.1941 To 12.3.1941
(HoI3 TFH - UK AAR)
Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Seven : Somewhat Aggressive - 11.3.1941 To 12.3.1941

jVf5reyP_o.jpg

When the Field Marshall came to breakfast on the 11th of March he found a interesting piece of news waiting for him.

uy0mRJWR_o.jpg

Seems one of the Mediterranean Fleet’s carrier attack groups had engaged some Italian and German fighters over the City of Venice.

“That seems somewhat aggressive,” remarked the Field Marshall as he read the report. “But I guess it will keep the Italians on their toes and force the public to question their safely.”

The British pilots also noticed massive troop movements. No doubt the Italian units coming back from the finished invasion of Yugoslavia.

And they lost the air clash as they were heavily outnumbered by the Axis pilots.

“Well, live and learn,” mumbled the Field Marshall as he set the report to one side and moved to the next.

h5wDIuyj_o.jpg

Funny enough around noon the Axis pilots attacked the CAGs. Once again right over the Fleet. And this time the Italian pilots were defeated. No doubt the thousands of anti-aircraft guns had something to do with that.

3ezbfo0J_o.jpg

Shortly before midnight two of the CAGs launched another ground attack on the defenders of Rome. No doubt causing more outrage among the Italians, the Axis powers, and a few Anti-War Americans. Killing, maybe, twelve defenders?

Of course the Italian pilots showed up, late, to engage the CAGs. But another CAG joined and the air clash fall apart. Neither side won which was a win for the British. Because in the end the bombs got through.

agwKN7o6_o.jpg

By the morning of the 12th another Fight Wing of Spitfire Mark Ones had joined the No.213 RAF Fighter Group.

“Wonderful!” remarked the Field Marshall on reading the report. “The more the merrier.”

lyqGXoUx_o.jpg

And the CAGs had dropped more bombs on the defenders in Rome in the early morning darkness. With the results of about fifty defenders dead.

“I am starting to feel sorry for Rome,” said the Field Marshall. “Not the people. But the buildings. All that history being destroyed.”

8wTN8o6e_o.jpg

Then there was the Battle of Tretten. It started when a German heavy armoured division attacked the ‘Northmen’ Corps HQ unit.

It didn’t help when the Germans sent in some support aircraft.

“So they are sending in heavy tanks and ground support against one lone HQ unit,” said the Field Marshall. “Well….they must really fear us.”

XIqio4XO_o.jpg

But the German pilots suddenly found themselves on the defense. As the fighter group under control of the Norwegian Front pounced on them!

QX7F8TZk_o.jpg

It didn’t help in the ground combat as the British were defeated. Neither side lost a man but the HQ unit had to retreat.

AkVVXQSR_o.jpg

As nightfall came to Italy it was noticed that a Italian Militia unit had appeared. But it was unknown what it was planning to do.

An hour before midnight Sir Anthony C.H. Melchett, or a man who looked very much like him, was sipping his goat milk and trying to calm down.

The invasion of Italy was causing him a lot of anxiety. He really wanted for his troops to take Rome. Even if they failed to spread out from it. Just taking Rome would be such a blow to the Italian government, the Italian military, and the Italian spirit.

When the Captain knocked on his door he, of course, welcomed the man.

“What news do you bring me?” asked the Field Marshall.

“Well, as we speak a CAG is attacking the defenders in Rome,” answered the Captain.

“The Italians will never get any sleep,” remarked the Field Marshall. “Anything else?”

“Mostly from the RAF,” replied the Captain. “Lots of naval strikes in our waters, lots of air clashes over the Channel, and it looks like we bombed Dortmund. Seems, from what I can tell, is that the German air units are alive and well.”

“In other words the Germans are pouring resources into their air force?”

“Something like that,” commented the Captain. “Which means the other two branches of their military may be suffering shortages. I think. I can only assume they may be having shortages.”

“Well,” said the Field Marshall as he picked up his teddy bear. “All I care about is our invasion of Italy. Tuck me in please. Oh, and turn off the lights.”

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Eight : World Turned Upside Down - 13.2.1941
(HoI3 TFH - UK AAR)
Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Eight : World Turned Upside Down - 13.2.1941

QW8OBBhm_o.jpg

The morning reports on the 13th of March were not surprising to the Field Marshall. But some of them were….upsetting.

First, the Ground Attack on Rome from the 12th had killed…nobody. Not that the pilots could tell anyway.

iI4erBmB_o.jpg

The Battle for Rome was not going well. The Italian garrison troops were doing what garrison troops do best - they were defending their positions.

Jt0vGSUh_o.jpg

The Battle for Civitavecchia was slightly better. But it was known that Italian reinforcements were approaching the coast. It was only a matter of time before they showed up.

And it could be time was on the side of the Axis forces.

Things were slightly different in Norway.

0jFcSU6s_o.jpg

The British units were spreading out and gaining territories in Norway. And not enough German units had yet moved north to contain them.

If the Germans didn’t hurry there was a chance more of Norway would be under control of the UK than the Germans!

“So…Italy may win a few Battles against us, finally,” muttered the Field Marshall as he sipped his tea, “while the Germans will have to continue to fight over a Norway they already defeated.”

“You know what would be great, sir?” said Captain Timothy Malek. “If Stalin decided to attack the Axis now. That would be great timing for us.”

“Stalin will do what he feels best is for Stalin,” pointed out the Field Marshall. “He cares nothing for King and County. Only for himself. Let us not pretend otherwise.”

By evening there was some very interesting news from British Intelligence.

F7okW9XJ_o.jpg

The Swiss were no longer leaning towards joining the Communist International. Maybe because the Axis was becoming too powerful to ignore or maybe because the Soviets were just too uncool so the Swiss government was starting to align itself with the Axis.

The Field Marshall found this interesting. But not that important.

“The Swiss will move back and forth like tall grass in a wind,” he said to the Captain. “Ignore them til they make a choice. Now hand me my teddy bear. I think I will turn in early.”

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Umm, those two messge boxes say the Swiss quit drifting towards Comintern and started drifting towards the Axis. which contradicts the text. Which is right?
I assumed both are true. The Swiss are changing their mind so often that they stopped, started and stopped again all on the same day.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Umm, those two messge boxes say the Swiss quit drifting towards Comintern and started drifting towards the Axis. which contradicts the text. Which is right?

You are correct and I have corrected the mistake.

I assumed both are true. The Swiss are changing their mind so often that they stopped, started and stopped again all on the same day.
And you are correct also. The Swiss, along with other nations such as Turkey, have flip flopped so many times as I have gotten confused very easily. And also don't wish to give @Bullfilter too much credit for when nations turn to the Soviet side of the triangle.

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
And also don't wish to give @Bullfilter too much credit for when nations turn to the Soviet side of the triangle.
One should never give @Bullfilter too much credit for anything. There lies the first treacherous step of a very slippery slope, don’tcha know! :D

• 2Haha
Reactions:
One should never give @Bullfilter too much credit for anything. There lies the first treacherous step of a very slippery slope, don’tcha know! :D
That's got to be the ultimate dime-out: the man tagged himself.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Nine : Supply Issues - 14.3.1941
(HoI3 TFH - UK AAR)
Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Nine : Supply Issues - 14.3.1941

ZDoQXTwy_o.jpg

When the Field Marshall came to breakfast on the morning of the 14th there was some mixed news.

QzNq6Ekv_o.jpg

On one hand the carrier pilots had carried out a ground attack on the defenders on Rome. Outside of waking them up and killing, maybe, eight of them they really hadn’t done much to help the British ground troops.

JNqeskHX_o.jpg

The crews, in their return, brought some bad news with them. They had spotted even more enemy units moving into the area.

“Crap,” was all the Field Marshall has to say to that news.

There was also news from many military units that they were in poor supply. And it wasn’t just units in Africa or Asia. A few naval units in UK ports were complaining about a lack of supplies too!

If the new cargo ships weren’t launched soon from the dry dock where they were being made there was going to be REAL problems soon.

“Wait,” remarked the Captain. “How can you be in bad shape WHILE being in a home port in the UK? The convoy system isn’t even involved. It should be impossible to lack supplies while being docked in the UK!”

“I am sure if anybody can do it,” replied the Field Marshall, “the British Navy can.”

49iLmiMG_o.jpg

By the afternoon there was some GOOD news. The British in Norway took the Province of Andalnes and were about to march into Molde. German territory was being taken daily and, if the Germans didn’t do something soon, their populace might REALLY start to get upset.

VSlxRLa0_o.jpg

By nightfall one of the CAGs launched another ground attack on Rome. They killed, maybe, seven defenders.

And reported that the Italians would likely be getting reinforcements very soon.

“They were closer than we thought,” pointed out the Captain as he helped the Field Marshall into his bed.

“Yes, well, we were bound to run into some bad luck sooner or later,” remarked the Field Marshall with a frown. “Still, we will see what happens.”

• 2Like
Reactions:
Was it bad luck? Or was it ignoring the obvious implications of the end of the fighting in Yugoslavia?
To be honest bad luck. Turned out the Italians had garrisons and units in the nearby ports. Those units were not coming in from Yugoslavia - those units are still marching back. The Italian government was just paranoid enough to keep some units at home.

• 1Like
Reactions: