+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Star of New Orleans - A Louisiana AAR

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Glad I noticed your signature.

I hate it when a good AAR pops up and I have no idea it's there.
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

200k clubDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Enewald View Post
    Dear Sir:
    Damn, in this timeline they killed Zorro again!
    Ah, but Zorro never truly dies! Viva la Revolution!

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredian View Post
    Dear Sir:
    Down with the interweb, Up with the old-fashioned newspaper. I look forward to reading more.
    Indeed. But up with the many different pieces of software I need to use to cobble this together!

Quote Originally Posted by General_Hoth View Post
    Dear Sir:
    Great!!!! I'm suscribing! What are the plan of Louisiana concerning their brothers in Québec?
    Glad to hear it! I'd love to be able to march in victory through the streets of Québec or Montréal, but, given the UK's dominance, that would take a lot of luck, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDude View Post
    Dear Sir:
    Does the USA have cores on you?
    Initially I left the USA with one or two cores along the border, but in every test game that led to an immediate DOW. So I ended up removing all US cores on my territory. I think I also changed 'Manifest Destiny' to make it contingent on their having a border with Mexico. When you see the new map of North America, geopolitical power will be much more balanced in this time line.

Quote Originally Posted by RGB View Post
    Dear Sir:
    Joseph, Joseph. Come on. Play nice, maybe the Mexicans will like you.
    The elder Napoleon doesn't quite seem to have grasped the ability to win friends and influence people, does he? I bet he wishes he'd stayed in Naples now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy4ever View Post
    Dear Sir:
    This is a very unique and interesting AAR. I wonder who will win the Napoleonic War. Perhaps a Coalition victory will lead to France being forced to grant independence ot Louisiana.
    Thanks! It always seemed like an intriguing possibility to me: what if the Haitian rebellion had failed, and so the US hadn't bought Louisiana from France? A whole host of opportunities presented themselves to me! You'll soon discover what the consequences are in this time line. I won't spoil it for you, but you're on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Jape View Post
    Dear Sir:
    Well this is novel - excellent all round, I shall be following.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selzro View Post
    Dear Sir:
    This is great! I will be definitely be following this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melrick View Post
    Dear Sir:
    Yeah, this is a very clever way to tell the story of your AAR. I'll be sure to keep reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesimir View Post
    Dear Sir:
    Glad I noticed your signature.

I hate it when a good AAR pops up and I have no idea it's there.
    Thanks everyone! Always nice to have more readers! Be sure to give constructive criticism as necessary. I enjoy many of your own AARs immensely, so I'll value your comments.

To All: Not long to go now - the next issue contains some ramifications of France's retention of Louisiana, and how it affects OTL events, but the biggest one of all is yet to come. See if you can spot where I'm going with this...
    Last edited by AllmyJames; 18-01-2011 at 21:34. Reason: Image rehosted on imageshack
    Extra! Extra! Read All About It! The Star of New Orleans - A V2 AAR for an Independent Louisiana, told in Newspapers!

CK AAR - The Atheling Chronicle - A King Without A Crown
    Follow the descendants of Edgar Atheling as they seek to regain their throne.

Winner of the WritAAR of the week award, 30/11/2009 | 05/07/2010 ~ Character Writer of the Week 09/05/2010 ~ Favourite CK History Book Q1 2010 | Q2 2010 | Q3 2010

Rebellion! Treachery! War! Marriage! And You! It's all in the Imperium AARlandium Sacrum, a CK succession game with a twist! Read it here.
    Favourite CK Gameplay Q2 2010

Rome GoldVictoria 2

Last edited by AllmyJames; 18-01-2011 at 21:38. Reason: Images rehosted on imagashack
    Extra! Extra! Read All About It! The Star of New Orleans - A V2 AAR for an Independent Louisiana, told in Newspapers!

Winner of the WritAAR of the week award, 30/11/2009 | 05/07/2010 ~ Character Writer of the Week 09/05/2010 ~ Favourite CK History Book Q1 2010 | Q2 2010 | Q3 2010

Rebellion! Treachery! War! Marriage! And You! It's all in the Imperium AARlandium Sacrum, a CK succession game with a twist! Read it here.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Damn, they kicked Napoleon out.
    Now who would've predicted that...

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Oooh, I think I know where you're going with this!

Boney packs his bags and his trusty personal guard and either exiles himself or is exiled to Louisiana, where his trusted lapdog Rochambeau (the butcher of Haiti! ) declares independence from France. Meanwhile, the French are in no position to reassert themselves in America and the British are similarly unable to commit themselves to further prolongued warfare in Louisiana due to the defeats from the US, and we get either a Republic or a New World Empire under the loving and protective heel of the Bonapartes.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Is Louisiana French speaking? Also, can we get a map?

I vaguely know how large the Louisian Territory is but would appreciate seeing how large your state is and where it is in relation to British Canada, the US and Mexico.

Dear Sir;
    I loving these "Dear Sir;"s

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

I vaguely know how large the Louisian Territory is but would appreciate seeing how large your state is and where it is in relation to British Canada, the US and Mexico.
    Indeed. I think the situation with Texas would also be markedly different in this timeline, with the settlers probably being French rather than American, and Louisiana intervening on their behalf. Man, that'd give the forum's Texans an aneurysm! Rappelez-vous l'Alamo!

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Upon reading your article, and the British objections to the island of Elba, I immediately thought 'wouldn't the New World be sufficiently away from Europe to placate British concerns'? I'm sure the people of Louisiana would be thrilled to accommodate their emperor in his peaceful retirement.

Minor note: the electric and magnetic forces were unified at around 1860, so I'm not sure if the term 'electromagnetic' would have been used before that.
    My AARs: Subcontinental Subtleties (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - webcomic; complete - *multi-award-winning* --- A Hyderabad Holiday Special (Victoria 2, v2.31) - complete --- Sing a Septinsular Song (Ionian Islands) (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - complete - *Winner of the VictAARian Cross, for Best Completed 2011 AAR* --- Tunis Delenda Est (Victoria 2, v1.2) - complete --- Albania Finds its Place in the World (Victoria 2, v1.2 with minor mods) - complete --- Australia: Rise of a Constellation (Victoria 2, v1.2 with minor mods) - complete --- Belgium: Rise of the Choco Lords (Victoria 2, v1.1) - complete

My mods: The 1948 Arab-Israeli War (battlescenario for HoI2, Doomsday and Armageddon. Current version: 1.1)

My inkwell

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Dear Sir:

This is a fantastic AAR, extremely innovative in concept and beautifully rendered. Though I must take umbrage with the Letter to the Editor who referred to the Hon. Gov. Rochembeau as a "butcher." I have it on good athority that the Governer has never once set foot in an abattoir.

Moreover, as the hon. gentleman referred to the 'Haiti' 'incident,' he should be reminded that the slaves in question were clearly Enemies of the Revolution and of our beloved Emperor, making Rochembeau a Hero and Patriot. Had they risen up against British Despots, they would have been Freedom Fighters and our Brothers In Arms and this theoretical John Bull Rochembeau would, indeed, be a butcher. Really, it is the slaves own fault for getting themselves abducted and sold to the wrong island.

I shall look forward to reading more.

Yours,

Rt. Hon. Alfred Packer, Esq.

Dear Sir;

I would like to make a proposal that all letters sent in the post(s) to The Star are formatted in the following way, for ease of communication and publishing as well as formal good taste:

"Dear Sir:

Lorem Ipsum, et cetera

Yours,

X"

Does the editor of this fine publication approve?

Yours,

Phalanxia
    Last edited by Phalanxia; 08-11-2011 at 18:09.

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Morsky View Post
    Boney packs his bags and his trusty personal guard and either exiles himself or is exiled to Louisiana, where his trusted lapdog Rochambeau (the butcher of Haiti! ) declares independence from France. Meanwhile, the French are in no position to reassert themselves in America and the British are similarly unable to commit themselves to further prolongued warfare in Louisiana due to the defeats from the US, and we get either a Republic or a New World Empire under the loving and protective heel of the Bonapartes.
    Well, it was supposed to happen in RL. Just that it was in Texas. But it doesn't matter where it is, a Bonaparte empire in America is just deliciously cool. And evil.

If it really is going to happen like that, mad expansion would surely follow. If we get a republic however, we might get a small future USA, poking their noses in other peoples bussiness. Either way, will be fun to watch how the situation evolves.
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Dear Sir,

It is most distressing to hear of the Deposition of our beloved Emperor and Guardian of the Ideals of Revolution. The Citizens of New Orleans, I should Hope, are ready to welcome him wtih open Arms if he chooses to avail himself of our Hospitality. As the recent Events have shown, Louisiana remains a firm Stronghold against the Tyrants of Albion and would gladly shelter the Bonapartes from British Persecution.

Yours,

Mssr. Rene-Gilbert de Baie
    The Russia Megacampaign - See my other work at my Inkwell

A YeAAR's Education - Rurikovich in Crusader Kings 1066-1393

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

Rome GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanxia View Post
    Dear Sir;

I would like to make a proposal that all letters sent in the post(s) to The Star are formatted in the following way, for ease of communication and publishing as well as formal good taste:

"Dear Sir:

Lorem Ipsum, et cetera

Yours,

X"

Does the editor of this fine publication approve?

Yours,

Subotan
    Indeed - I find that format most agreeable, Sir. It is only to be encouraged. Of course, the editorial team will continue to reformat any wayward correspondence that does not conform to these norms.

Quote Originally Posted by Enewald View Post
    Dear Sir:

Damn, they kicked Napoleon out.
    Now who would've predicted that...

Yours,

Enewald
    The defeat of France and exile of the Emperor would have been unthinkable several years ago. However, with the forces of Europe arranged against him, His Imperial Majesty has been under considerable pressure for some time. At least the Coalition forces have shown mercy in allowing him to retain the titles and status due him.

Dear Sir:

Yours,

Tommy4ever
    Louisiana, at this point, is predominantly Francophone. The period of Spanish rule did little to change the culture of the province, and without the US meddling, French should retain the upper hand. In game terms, I've given them both French and French-Canadian as accepted cultures. I'll try and work a map into the next update. Basically, Louisiana will begin with all the U.S. territory West of the Mississippi in the 1836 scenario (minus the single province in Idaho)

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Packer View Post
    Dear Sir:

This is a fantastic AAR, extremely innovative in concept and beautifully rendered. Though I must take umbrage with the Letter to the Editor who referred to the Hon. Gov. Rochembeau as a "butcher." I have it on good authority that the Governor has never once set foot in an abattoir.

Moreover, as the hon. gentleman referred to the 'Haiti' 'incident,' he should be reminded that the slaves in question were clearly Enemies of the Revolution and of our beloved Emperor, making Rochembeau a Hero and Patriot. Had they risen up against British Despots, they would have been Freedom Fighters and our Brothers In Arms and this theoretical John Bull Rochembeau would, indeed, be a butcher. Really, it is the slaves own fault for getting themselves abducted and sold to the wrong island.

I shall look forward to reading more.

Yours,

Rt. Hon. Alfred Packer, Esq.
    The editor is pleased to receive your positive comments regarding the newspaper. Most of your compatriots share your views on the esteemed Governor Rochembeau, and his predecessor LeClerc - both heroes of the suppression of Saint Domingue. Unfortunately, discontent among the slaves and gens de coleur on the island is high, so their subjugation is far from assured.

Dear Sir:

Minor note: the electric and magnetic forces were unified at around 1860, so I'm not sure if the term 'electromagnetic' would have been used before that.

Yours,

Selzro
    The quote I used is taken directly from OTL (an anonymous American), and is supposed to be contemporaneous - at least according to my source at the University of Wikipedia. I have to say that I share your concerns, however.

Speculation On the Emperor Napoleon's Exile:

Quote Originally Posted by Morsky View Post
    Dear Sir:

Oooh, I think I know where you're going with this!

Indeed. I think the situation with Texas would also be markedly different in this timeline, with the settlers probably being French rather than American, and Louisiana intervening on their behalf. Man, that'd give the forum's Texans an aneurysm! Rappelez-vous l'Alamo!

Yours,

Morsky
    Quote Originally Posted by Selzro View Post
    Dear Sir:

Upon reading your article, and the British objections to the island of Elba, I immediately thought 'wouldn't the New World be sufficiently away from Europe to placate British concerns'? I'm sure the people of Louisiana would be thrilled to accommodate their emperor in his peaceful retirement.

Yours,

Selzro

Quote Originally Posted by Vesimir View Post
    Dear Sir:

Well, it was supposed to happen in RL. Just that it was in Texas. But it doesn't matter where it is, a Bonaparte empire in America is just deliciously cool. And evil.

If it really is going to happen like that, mad expansion would surely follow. If we get a republic however, we might get a small future USA, poking their noses in other peoples bussiness. Either way, will be fun to watch how the situation evolves.

Yours,

Vesimir
    Quote Originally Posted by RGB View Post
    Dear Sir,

It is most distressing to hear of the Deposition of our beloved Emperor and Guardian of the Ideals of Revolution. The Citizens of New Orleans, I should Hope, are ready to welcome him wtih open Arms if he chooses to avail himself of our Hospitality. As the recent Events have shown, Louisiana remains a firm Stronghold against the Tyrants of Albion and would gladly shelter the Bonapartes from British Persecution.

Yours,

Mssr. Rene-Gilbert de Baie
    It looks like the jig is up - you've guessed the main thrust of the rather-large-butterfly which disrupts this timeline! I decided that it was more likely that the Coalition would send Napoleon to Louisiana, rather than him traveling there himself. The British concern about Elba was genuine in OTL, but Napoleon escaped before they could do anything about it - and then it was off to St Helena. But what if the Hundred Days and Waterloo never happened? If Napoleon could be Emperor of Elba, why not Emperor of an empty buffer state like Louisiana? Once I load the game, and give you the facts on the ground, it's going to feel like a rather long way from France for me, as well! A sparsely-populated wilderness where Napoleon can do no harm except to the US or Mexico. And they weren't invited to the conference!

I had toyed with the idea of an independent Republic, but, in the words of Vesimir, it's just too deliciously cool, and evil to have the Bonapartes in America! But before anyone begins imagining the Imperial Guard marching down the National Mall in Washington - Louisiana definitely begins as the poorest of the North American powers. In addition, the Great Powers are unlikely to let their nemesis rearm so easily!

Whether the Louisianans themselves are so pleased with the turn of events is less clear - the New World French were generally conservative (Catholics, Monarchists) so that's a plus. But presumably the American and British garrisons are less welcome!

I'm still pondering the Texas situation. I like the absurdity of a French-speaking Texas. I've only been playing test games so far, so maybe I'll incorporate some of those ideas before I begin.
    Last edited by AllmyJames; 18-01-2011 at 21:39. Reason: Additional comments; Image rehosted on imageshack

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    March of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Ohhh I like the idea. Especially since if Napoleon would go in America, he would be followed by thousands of exiles: the best soldiers, the best scientist of France, many intellectual in France, Poland, Germany (Goethe). How could you dream a better start for the new French Empire of America?

And for Quebec, just bid your time..and support the 1837-1838 rebellion!!!

And if I might add, it was the dream of the Empereur to go to America after the 100 jours.
    Nationalité: Québécois
    Religion: catholique
    Réserves monétaires:0 (étudiant)
    Risque de révolte: 49.4%
    Préoccupation: L'indépendance du Québec
    HOI2 type de gouvernement: Social Démocrate
    EU3 gouvernement: Empire Révolutionnaire
    Idéologie: Gauche nationaliste
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ar-double-AAR: my first AAR. a french and indian war game vs Narwal

Rome GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by General_Hoth View Post
    Ohhh I like the idea. Especially since if Napoleon would go in America, he would be followed by thousands of exiles: the best soldiers, the best scientist of France, many intellectual in France, Poland, Germany (Goethe). How could you dream a better start for the new French Empire of America?

And for Quebec, just bid your time..and support the 1837-1838 rebellion!!!

And if I might add, it was the dream of the Empereur to go to America after the 100 jours.
    Thanks for the support - and I didn't know about Napoleon's American ambitions - very interesting! And I think you're right about the emigrees following Napoleon (although America was a long journey to make) - especially once the European monarchies went back to their reactionary ways - especially in France, Spain and Naples.
    I'll do my best for my Quebecois brothers - Je me souviens!

Rome GoldVictoria 2

Last edited by AllmyJames; 04-02-2011 at 18:38.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Emperor of Louisiana?

I do hope that Louisiana doesn't simply become the personal domain of the Bonaparte dynasty.

How does the coalition expect the new Emperor to hold on to his vast realm with 400 men?

Rome GoldVictoria 2

Emperor of Louisiana?

I do hope that Louisiana doesn't simply become the personal domain of the Bonaparte dynasty.

How does the coalition expect the new Emperor to hold on to his vast realm with 400 men?
    By the treaty of Fontainebleau Napoleon was Emperor of Elba, so Emperor of Louisiana seemed appropriate. Besides, he's about to have a counterpart in the Emperor of Mexico in the 1820s!

I expect the Coalition's reasoning the same which led them to believe that giving Belgium to the Dutch would work out, and that humiliating France and reinstating the hated Bourbons would prevent the rise of republicanism! The British and American garrisons will help - as long, of course, as they don't end up at each other's throats the whole time!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast