• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AllmyJames

Editor-in-Chief
35 Badges
Oct 24, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Imperium AARlandium Sacrum – The Holy AARland Empire – Succession Game

Signup and Comment Thread

This game has now begun, but you can still sign up (see below). Read the reports here.

What is this?

This is going to be the sign-up and comment thread for a new type of AAR, based on Iain Wilson’s hugely successful ‘Kingdom of AARland’, and the succession game concept, as featured in the ‘Collage of CAARdinals’.

This idea is due largely to Kaiser Muffin's enthusiasm for a repeat of Wilson's game, and Vesimir's genius in suggesting a succession game, when multiplayer failed to get off the ground. My role has just been modding the starting scenario, and taking over from Vesimir due to his study commitments.

What is AARland?

As in the Kingdom of AARland, every member of the AAR community has the opportunity to feature in this report! Members will be modded into the game to play as counts or dukes, with their own portrait, dynasty and character traits.

What’s a Succession Game?

We take it in turns to play the same game, and each player writes their own AAR chapter. A turn lasts for the reign of one king, and once the king dies, the save game is passed to a new player. What makes this particular succession game fun is that the order of play will be determined by whichever in-game dynasty is elected to be Holy Roman Emperor.

How do I sign up?

All you need to do is submit your character’s first name(s), dynasty name, traits, culture, DNA (check out the DNA maker here) and starting location. Enter a reply in this thread, or send me a PM. You can choose whichever names and traits you wish (though no more than two traits and one education per character, please). Your dynasty name will stay with you, so much sure it's a good one!

Your character will begin at age 15, as will his wife (if he has one at the game start). No-one will have any children, but brothers, parents, etc. will be left in the game if they already exist.

For those of you unfamiliar with the game, this help tool is very, well, helpful.

I’m afraid there won’t be any personalised coats of arms – it would be too time-consuming to move the necessary files for each player’s turn.

If you wish to play the game, you should aim to be represented in one of the duchies on the list (see below), as these are the main candidates for election. The largest duchies are much more likely to be elected. If you want to be represented in-game but can’t take a turn playing, you can still sign up to be a count.

The deadline for signing up for the start of the AAR will be Monday 21st June at 18:00 CET. After that, I will begin playing the first session. Anyone who wishes can still sign up, but you’ll be added in to the game as and when I can.

Where and when are we playing?
This game will be played in the Holy Roman Empire, or Kingdom of Germany, as it appears in CK. The starting scenario will be 1066. The map below shows you the duchies of the Empire.

1066HREColours2.jpg

Currently signed up to play are:

Lower Lorraine (12) – Vesimir
Swabia (9) - MorningSIDER
Saxony (9) – Kaiser Muffin
Carinthia-Verona (8)
Bohemia (7) - Johann11
Bavaria (7) - Morrell8
Upper Lorraine (6) – Kadvael56
Provence (5) – Mr Capitalist
Franconia (3) – AllmyJames (Initial Emperor)
Thuringia (3) – Rabid Bogling
Brandenburg (3) - mayorqw
Austria (3) - Lucius Sejanus
Meissen (2) – Iain Wilson
Tyrol (2) - The_Shepherd

The following counties are taken:

Besancon - Murmurandus
Savoy - Splendid Tuesday
Holland - FlyingDutchie
Kleve - Sebeck
Steirmark - Serek000

Since we've already begun the scenario, the map is not that relevant, but there’s still plenty of room for new players, either dukes or counts.

Some Rules:

- We will be using Crusader Kings Deus Vult, with the 2.1 beta patch.

- If it’s your turn to play, try to post your report quickly, but it’s especially important to keep everyone else updated on your progress. Kings can live for a long time in CK, so it’s understandable if the report takes a while to compile, but don’t leave us in the dark.
- If you need to be substituted, again, let us know so we can do that ASAP.

- No changing the succession law of the HRE!
- Be nice to your fellow AARlanders (i.e. don't steal all their land and exile them to the furthest reaches of the Earth)!
- When it’s your turn to play, you’ll want to give your children some land. But please try to make sure they’re not next in line to succeed you – we want to give everyone a chance to play.
- Likewise, check the succession order, and try to make sure one of us is next in line. It won’t be the end of the world if an AI takes over, but it would be easier if they didn’t.

Last edited:
ehm... I don't have CK, but I would like to be featured... how might I sign up?

If you want to be a character but can't play, you'll need to be a count.
Give me an idea of where you'd like to start out geographically, what your character's name should be, and what cultural group you'd like to belong to.

For appearance, see the DNA maker, above.

For traits, see this link I've just edited in to the help tool.

Each character also has 4 skills - martial, diplomacy, stewardship, intrigue. You can specify a strength in any of these if you would like.

You can provide as much or as little information as you'd like. I can do the rest.

I know some of the basics but I cant use the DNA-maker, I don't have the CK files required.
other than that, I want to be the Count of St. Gallien; Karl von Galien (Creative, I know)
Culture:Saxon

I know some of the basics but I cant use the DNA-maker, I don't have the CK files required.
other than that, I want to be the Count of St. Gallien; Karl von Galien (Creative, I know)
Culture:Saxon

You're in. I didn't realise that was a problem with the DNA maker. Ah well.

Good. Remember to make this a rule "You can't kill other players and you can't alter the succesion. As in, please don't make your son the strongest vassal."

Good idea, done.

I have CK, but the DNA maker doesn't work for me. I'd still like to join as a count. I don't want to be bothered with actually doing updates, but if my ruler becomes a Duke, then I will do an update.

I would like to be Fausto di Savoie, count of Savoy/Savoie and Piedmont. A high strength in Intrigue would be nice. And a decent Stewardship score. Intricate Webweaver would be a good education, with the Deceitful, Lustful, Club-Footed, and Reckless traits.

This sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately I lack the time to participate. I would like to join the game as a count if it's possible though.

Willem van Holland-Lotharingen (I know, the least original name a Dutch noble can have :D).
Culture: Dutch
County: Holland
Traits: military education, honest, generous, valourous, suspicious

Last edited:
I would like to put a count in. I would have liked to play this but alas I have other things I have to make time for. Hope I made it under the wire...

Name: Guttrom
Dynasty: Von Wikinger
County: Count of Kleve
Traits: Bastard, Temperate, Just, Mastermind Theologian
DNA: 03020411140302

Bastard son of unknown Viking raider

If my only copy of CK wasn't on my dead computer, I'd totally be all over this. As it, I guess I'll just be looking on.

That's too bad, especially if it means a setback to your excellent AAR :(

I have CK, but the DNA maker doesn't work for me. I'd still like to join as a count. I don't want to be bothered with actually doing updates, but if my ruler becomes a Duke, then I will do an update.

I would like to be Fausto di Savoie, count of Savoy/Savoie and Piedmont. A high strength in Intrigue would be nice. And a decent Stewardship score. Intricate Webweaver would be a good education, with the Deceitful, Lustful, Club-Footed, and Reckless traits.

Noted. As Savoy starts with two counties, there's some possibility you could inherit a ways down the line.

I'd love to participate.
Can I be in either Austria or Bavaria, whichever inherits later?

Name: Lucius
Dynasty: Seianos
Culture: Greek
Religion: Orthodox
DNA: 07040102000403
Skills: Deceitful, Sceptical, Silver Tongue

Great! You get Austria. Another duchy filled in. If only someone would take Carinthia, Bavaria and Bohemia....

This sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately I lack the time to participate. I would like to join the game as a count if it's possible though.

Willem van Holland-Lotharingen (I know, the least original name a Dutch noble can have :D).
Culture: Dutch
County: Holland
Traits: military education, honest, generous, valourous, suspicious

Done. Holland normally begins with 3 counties, but I think I'll cut that down to one if you only wish to play as a humble count.

I would like to put a count in. I would have liked to play this but alas I have other things I have to make time for. Hope I made it under the wire...

Name: Guttrom
Dynasty: Von Wikinger
County: Count of Kleve
Traits: Bastard, Temperate, Just, Mastermind Theologian
DNA: 03020411140302

Bastard son of unknown Viking raider

Okay, no problem. There's going to be some interesting characters here, I can tell... ;)

I'll try and have the first introductory update (in a new thread) tomorrow.

Well, I wouldn't mind receiving all three provinces :D.

But to be fair, I don't have the time to play an update anytime soon, so being a count of just Holland seems more than fair. Just wanted to be part of the fun ;).

Good, good, this might be fun... :)

Hey guys! I would like to participate in the succession game as Bavaria! :D

My Character requests:
Name: Ben
Dynasty: Morrell
Culture: Norman
Religon: Catholic
Wife: If possible, could you get me Adelais de Pontieu. My sons get claims on England, if as she is the niece of the King of England.
Traits: Lustful, Zealous(As all Normans were), Cruel, Silver Tongued.
Now sure how DNA maker works so if anyone can help me with that it would be great.

Hey guys! I would like to participate in the succession game as Bavaria! :D

My Character requests:
Name: Ben
Dynasty: Morrell
Culture: Norman
Religon: Catholic
Wife: If possible, could you get me Adelais de Pontieu. My sons get claims on England, if as she is the niece of the King of England.
Traits: Lustful, Zealous(As all Normans were), Cruel, Silver Tongued.
Now sure how DNA maker works so if anyone can help me with that it would be great.

Ah well, deadlines are made to be broken, I suppose. You're in. ;)

Oh, and I want to be polish. I can't remember if I told you that in the pm. ;)

You didn't, but now you are. Gabriel D'Oraz the Pole it is :confused:

Can't remember what I put but I'd obviously like to be Scottish! Oh, and could I change my dynasty to "Van Der Aarlander" or have you already modded my sorry ass?

But Iain von Wilson sounded pretty cool! Never mind, all hail Iain van der Aarlander the Scot. :confused:

Howdy everyone. The first update (mostly an introduction) is up. You can find the new thread here.

Remember, read it there, comments in here.

To my liege Gabriel d'Oroz.

Hello Gabby,

I see you hold some nice pieces of what used to be my fathers demesne. Now I know it is your right as Duke to keep those as your own (especially after that horrible incident involving the communique where your lineage was traced back to a courtesan, kind of get that it was a bit insulting.) But can I get them back, pretty please with sugar on top? The wife really wanted to go shopping in Aemstelredamme (Amsterdam) and that city kind of lies where Westfriesland lies. Not taking her there would put a bit of a damper on my whole plans for expanding the dynasty.

Yours sincerely

Willem, first of that name, Van Holland-Lotharingen.