• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
POPs will always try to get the job which makes them the most money. Thus when a poor farmer paying 50% taxes is able to be promoted to an artisan he will have to pay only 25% while getting a better salary. Hence I make sure middle- and upper-class are not taxed as much and it is advantageous to be promoted.
Does the middle class needs to accumulate wealth before "upgrading" to the upper class POPs?

Exactly my point, artisan for instance have to accumulate money in order to become capitalists, at least that is what I read... so how a high tax rate will allow them to do that... Moreover I think I recall Peekee did the same to try to promote lower to middle : he heavily taxed the poor and lightly not the middle... Not sure how it worked.

Exactly my point, artisan for instance have to accumulate money in order to become capitalists, at least that is what I read... so how a high tax rate will allow them to do that... Moreover I think I recall Peekee did the same to try to promote lower to middle : he heavily taxed the poor and lightly not the middle... Not sure how it worked.

IIRC, he said that it didn't work at all.

First of all, thank you very much for the AAR and the very frequent updates.

A small gameplay question :
I don't understand your logic in lowering the taxes for middle and upper classes in order for them to promote... Shouldn't you lower taxes for lower and middle instead ? I mean upper classes cannot promote to upper classes... and only lower classes can promote to middle...

Am I wrong in my understanding of the promotion system ?

He's providing a greater incentive for pops to promote. Its now a really big improvement if pops start promoting that if they stay in the working classes.

Why did you not keep a state capitalist government? It would have been very useful in setting up an industrial base. Now you must rely on your population and are any cappies right now?

Why did you not keep a state capitalist government? It would have been very useful in setting up an industrial base. Now you must rely on your population and are any cappies right now?

Because I didn't know at that moment how Laissez Faire would work out. Now I know (after five years) I might as well want to return altough I do not really like having to return to a minimum of 50% taxes.

Congratulation for achieving to Meiji-Ishin and Bunmei-Kaika(civilized)!
I expected it would be more late game.
Perhaps,I guess historically the Court Faction is more suitable for this period,but gamely it's a more interesting choice.

Anyway,right now Japan's rank is 67th.The GreatPowers is long way from.

By the way,What is the new decision of "Tycoon Capitalism & Busines..."?

Great progress!

I have to agree with Tommy though, staying planned economy would probably have been better in the long run. (just long enough for you to build some needed factories. Like Steel & Steamers once you get them).

Now your next goal must obiviously be to sink the RN right? ;)

China has the most powerful army in the world?

Isn't that a little.......odd?

Just a late comment. IIRC technology should be considered when calculating the military score (at least I think I've read it in the discussion about gunboat diplomacy and ships). So China schould fall behind just by being much slower in research.

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter XIV: The first factories

As can be expected the first thing I do is encouraging capitalists with my two National Foci. I use one in my capital state: Edo and the second in my most populous state: Osaka. Within a few weeks 152 capitalists have “signed up”, the majority of them Japanese with just over 40% literacy and, that's strange, a total of 8 Korean capitalists of whom just one is literate.

20fat6s.jpg

3347ndj.jpg

Before long these newfound big-shots have made a series of plans for factories. I can't help it but think some of them are rather selfish for wanting to start luxury clothing factories and wineries. I am glad to see just over half of them is not a complete nut-case and knows what his new job is about: making money. With 65% of the population working as farmers and many of the others fishermen the canned food factories is a wise choice. Two of the capitalists are to be applauded for their initiative, wanting to build a cement factory. As you can see cement (besides machine parts) is in high demand and low supply. Good luck guys however, to get such a plant build on Okinawa and ship all that heavy cement to the home-isles. Argh!!!

2vtd1eu.jpg

Another month passes and two of the factories planned are starting to be build. Both of the luxury cloth factories, wise choice! In just over two years from now silk and regular clothes will have to be imported from overseas, regular clothes from as far as Europe, only so these capitalist pigs can have some smart dresses. So, that's the industrial age?

m7qft1.jpg

As you can see my Laissez Faire doesn't allow me to interefere with the construction of the factories and thus I can't cancel (destroy) it or build any which are really needed myself. We'll just have to wait and see. By the spring of 1851 the first factory is finished and craftsmen and clerks flock to it for work. Paradoxical it is not build in Japan but in Korea by this small, small group of enterprising but illiterate capitalists. Had they been a little more educated they had known building a luxury clothes factory in poor Korea. Quite soon the factory is closed down (gone after a few months) and the first adventure in industrialism ends in failure.

289zrrt.jpg

Illiterate capitalists... are you sure you're playing 19ct Japan and not 21ct Croatia?

King did mention that Capitalist AI was still quirky, but luxury goods make some sense as export if Japan has silk.

Have you considered protectionism? European factories are more likely more efficient then yours due to technology and subsiding european goods may leave domestically produced goods far too expensive for your industrialization efforts to be successful.

With all your coal and iron you would have thought the cappies would have been smart enough to build some steel factories. :rolleyes:

Bet your regreting not setting up some basic industries before going liberal.

I also quite like the idea of people 'signing up' to be capitalists. :p

Is it just me or does it seem like you need hell of a lot of craftsman too?
Hmmm... and since they're poor and you're taxing them 50%, they are gonna be even bigger problem, methinks.

You could probably use your NF's to encourage certan factories, if you feel your capis aren't up to snuff :p

factories can fail :D

And nice to see that they can start building factories if there's just 2 of them :)

Those 2 with the cement factory are gonna be some rich sons of guns :p