• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Better yet, submit the editorial team to the will of the invisible hand and have a stream of consciousness automatic writing editorial style. Let's really see what those historical forces want to do with the world.

What, sack Sir Edward and give the paper over to the reprobates who work for him?

How dare you suggest such a thing! I shall write a strongly worded letter to the editor about this...

Resurrection Plan for the sequel I have provisionally entitled Read Even More About It. Something best discussed in quiet with people who liked the first iteration. Current plan;

Game is based on the Vicki 2 Concert in Europe Mod and an 1821 Start.

To provoke a bit of interactivity every update ends in a in-game choice/decision of some sort (people can write about other things, but experience suggests most people take the easy prompts).

Decisions are 'voted' on by the readers. If a paper argues in favour of Choice A and gets five positive reactions (Like, agree, helpful or the funny ones) that's five votes.

To keep things pleasant Disagree and Angry don't count as votes against the position and are just ignored. Those reactions are easily misinterpreted.

A crude weighting approach will be adopted. If the newspaper is based in a non-involved, non-Great Power nation then votes only have half the weight. This will push people towards writing for Great Power nations, but I see that as a feature honestly. A few papers in the same country will add a bit of spice, particularly if they take opposite positions.

No explanation of the game mechanics and the event chains may (will) be altered to make things interesting and to ruin any attempts at meta-gaming.

---
Thoughts? Comments? Better ideas?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I quite like this. Prompts should give a bit of form to what we all get to write about, and if people are encouraged to write more or less around the same subject (and in the same place) then one would hope that we might be able to build a little bit of an ecosystem.

Maybe, to push the ecosystem thing even further, at the start you might take the lead from some pdx games and offer up a list of 'interesting nations'? Or maybe even limit it by design, so that because this is Concert of Europe papers have to be representing concert powers? Runs all the concomitant risks of Eurocentrism, but possibly fits the period?

I don't know, maybe this is already covered by the weighting and this would just be too prescriptive. Just thinking that experience suggests things run smoother when people are involved with each other.

Reactions:
I am interested. I know that I couldn't do justice to this last time
I will try my hardest to take part this time

Reactions:
Maybe, to push the ecosystem thing even further, at the start you might take the lead from some pdx games and offer up a list of 'interesting nations'? Or maybe even limit it by design, so that because this is Concert of Europe papers have to be representing concert powers? Runs all the concomitant risks of Eurocentrism, but possibly fits the period?

I don't know, maybe this is already covered by the weighting and this would just be too prescriptive. Just thinking that experience suggests things run smoother when people are involved with each other.
That is a good point, it's a difficult balance. I don't want to stop people joining in if they really want to write the Ashanti Times but as you say it would work better if everyone is focusing on the same things.

I've fired up the Concert Mod and there is a great deal going on; Spain and the South American Wars of Independence, the Ottomans and their various wars and several smaller conflicts in Burma, West Africa and Central Asia. Taking your point about all the papers being involved in the same events, I worry trying to cover the world is too much and we would be always pinging around to the latest crisis. I think we need the votes to have consequences, which means we need focus so the papers can follow through and see what happens because of the choice, it also helps writers to have a stake in what happens. On that basis I suggest we have two choices;

1. Limit the scope, so we only look at a certain region (like South America or the Near/Middle East)
2. Pick a certain country, have all the papers based in that nation (or it's near neighbours and peers) and follow that country through.

As (1) seems a bit arbitrary I think maybe (2) would be a good choice. The Mod suggests a list of interesting nations: Russia, Poland, Spain/South American, Portugal-Brazil, Netherlands and the Ottomans and neighbours, so one of those would presumably be a good choice.

Maybe the Ottomans? Would allow a range of papers (Greeks demanding liberty, hardliners in Constantinople demanding reaction, modernists vs traditionalists, British papers hand wringing about Greece, etc) and give some limits to help with focus.

This would also work with Spain and the wars of liberation (and sticking their nose into Portugal Brazil) but my impression is that the Ottomans would be more popular than South America, but I could very easily be wrong.

I’d be on board for the Ottoman focus. Plenty of opportunities for extraterritorial stuff, and lots going on in the period.

Sounds good. It doesn't really matter where the paper is given who is running mine and why.

I've checked with the Mods and the extra inter-activity is OK, so we have no excuse not to get going.

I am a long way out of my usual stomping ground in the early 19th century, so a bit of advice and discussion before we kick off would be appreciated. I think we need a rough 'storyline' to work with, even if reader decisions end up pushing it into new directions, but I'd be going off a skim of wikipedia which may not be 100% ideal. I don't suppose we have an expert who would like to chip in?

So I’ll preface this with an acknowledgment that I am by no means an expert. My knowledge of the area in the period doesnt extend much beyond obscure Wiki articles. That said, if we are doing the Ottoman stuff then there are a couple of major plot points I could think of to start with. First of all there’s the Greek War of Independence, which should take up the 1820s and give all of the Concert powers plenty to argue about. Secondly, and much more arcanely, there’s the argument over extraterritoriality and jurisdiction over Christians in the Holy Land, which extends right the way up until the Crimean War, and also touches on the argument over whether the OE should be admitted as a Concert power. Because it is more generally accessible, I’d suggest a big old argument over Greece would be the best thing.

As far as mechanics are concerned we probably want French, British, Russian, Austrian, Greek and Turkish papers as a matter of some priority. If we’ve got these in place then as soon as we get our first crisis everything should more or less take care of itself.

Good stuff. Will think on and debut a paper in due course. Time for a change from the Libertaire, I think.