• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm currently writing 20k dissertations so no updates for now. However by the end of the month I hopefulyl should have finished all my uni work for this year so that's good.

Something I am pondering right now is how serious I should make this AAR, especially if it turns out how its currently looking (planning forward for the next few centuries in ckii) with Lancaster stupid rich, stupid powerful and absolute monarchs ruling absolutely...which would if we took it further than ckii turn rather nasty rather quickly. This raises a few issues, as you might expect. There's two ways I can think of around this, with the Lancasters being what they are:

a) construct a surrelist world where nothing really matters and the 'plot' doesn't really exist, just random, crazy and interesting stuff happens in a sequence until the world is conquered and nobody thinks about the deeper consequences.
b) ...don't do that, and have a super dark and cynical world full of misery and hate, fueled by constant war and death.

Thoughts?

To be frank (b) sounds like it would get boring and depressing. It's all a bit GrimDark and that can get you down after a while. Everything gets worse, it always gets worse, none of the actions of the characters really matter as it's all war,death,misery,hate. Meh.

(a) sounds much better.

Yes I rsther thought a would be better, if a bit harder to pull off. Maybe make the Lancaster's pantomine level villans and everyone else gibbering imbeciles will make it better?

Of course, we can hold off on this planning till the british isles are taken. After that, given how the family is already the richest in the world by a fair measure and super influential in the church, and with rhe continent a mess, we might go into splendid isolation instead. Medieval tech levels actually allow for such things...

Yes I rsther thought a would be better, if a bit harder to pull off. Maybe make the Lancaster's pantomine level villans and everyone else gibbering imbeciles will make it better?
Going for a Palpatine vs the Jedi vibe?

If you do go that way you have to includes scenes that leave the reader shouting "He is evil, he is obviously evil. How can you not see this?!" while a rival manages to miss a Lancastrian Lord, who is wearing a hat saying 'I'm an evil schemer', actively plotting the rivals death right in front of said rival.

Going for a Palpatine vs the Jedi vibe?

If you do go that way you have to includes scenes that leave the reader shouting "He is evil, he is obviously evil. How can you not see this?!" while a rival manages to miss a Lancastrian Lord, who is wearing a hat saying 'I'm an evil schemer', actively plotting the rivals death right in front of said rival.

Funnily enough there is a moment later on where a pope does something foolish and I had to sit back for a moment in contempt. The entire catholic church at that point exited purely in my realm, was funded entierly by me and was made up of many of my cardinals. I mean, the Pendragon pope tried to usurp Galahad too be he was pious. The lancasters...eh.

My headcanon for that scene is the whole family looking at each other in confusion when their permanent house guest expels them from 'his' church, and then beating the shit out of him.

Oh, yes...this could work out quite well. especially as the lancasters delight in torturing the french and english for all their worth. Yes I think obviously evil, everyone thinking I'm jesus will work quite well.

I am quite partial to option (a) although I would like a quick panoramic chapter every once in a while so you have an idea how in holy hell everything went so crazy

I am quite partial to option (a) although I would like a quick panoramic chapter every once in a while so you have an idea how in holy hell everything went so crazy

I do history book quite well so that shouldn't be an issue. There are defiently going to be style shifts in this AAR. Book 1 if you like will be this Epic orration of how the Lancasters came to be, founded Lancaster and got started in terms of power building, then there'll be something about their rise to power by being super rich and cold-blooded businessmen in an era of idiots, constantly pushed back by random bad luck and stupidity from within and without, which will lead to them becoming incredbily paranoid, evil and controlling within their own realm. At that point, the family will probably meet up in a secret overlord meeting room every month or so and scheme as their empire expands, occasionally venturing out to crush whoever is stupid enough to get in their way.
And when they do become the most powerful faction in the world as well as the richest (which hopefully should be before the end of ckii, got about 400 years to do it left), they'll start figuring out their philsophy for ruling the world, why it should be them and how to treat everyone beneath them, how they look at science/relgion/philosphy, and generally still beating the daylights out of anyone who gets in their way.

If I can manage it, getting to a Blackadder/Python-esque level of cyniscm, petty villany and surrealism should service all this quite well. After all, this is one of the few times an AAR can get away with writing out all the terrible things the AI thinks are good ideas and geniuenly just saying 'its because theyre stupid'. And also I like playing the absurdist stuff in CKII straight, which is good because the bears don't go away and in fact get joined by some horses down the line.

In summary, I want to get to the point where the Lancasters are very competently evil and essentially wrote the evil overlord list, and then noticed everyone around them had sweden for brains and just decided to be as subtle as Ming the Merciless.

Good fortune with the dissertation

Good fortune with the dissertation

Thanks. It's been a while in the making. One on the libertine woman throughout history, and the other on early factory legislation changing the balance of parliament and starting the welfare movement in the west.

I do history book quite well so that shouldn't be an issue. There are defiently going to be style shifts in this AAR. Book 1 if you like will be this Epic orration of how the Lancasters came to be, founded Lancaster and got started in terms of power building, then there'll be something about their rise to power by being super rich and cold-blooded businessmen in an era of idiots, constantly pushed back by random bad luck and stupidity from within and without, which will lead to them becoming incredbily paranoid, evil and controlling within their own realm. At that point, the family will probably meet up in a secret overlord meeting room every month or so and scheme as their empire expands, occasionally venturing out to crush whoever is stupid enough to get in their way.
And when they do become the most powerful faction in the world as well as the richest (which hopefully should be before the end of ckii, got about 400 years to do it left), they'll start figuring out their philsophy for ruling the world, why it should be them and how to treat everyone beneath them, how they look at science/relgion/philosphy, and generally still beating the daylights out of anyone who gets in their way.

If I can manage it, getting to a Blackadder/Python-esque level of cyniscm, petty villany and surrealism should service all this quite well. After all, this is one of the few times an AAR can get away with writing out all the terrible things the AI thinks are good ideas and geniuenly just saying 'its because theyre stupid'. And also I like playing the absurdist stuff in CKII straight, which is good because the bears don't go away and in fact get joined by some horses down the line.

In summary, I want to get to the point where the Lancasters are very competently evil and essentially wrote the evil overlord list, and then noticed everyone around them had sweden for brains and just decided to be as subtle as Ming the Merciless.
This sounds very much like a plan! :D So, are your dissertations rather like your AARs, or vice versa? :p Either way, best o’ British luck with both of them! :)

Ahem:

'Aristophanes, however, also takes his male audience to task for being so terrible at their jobs that women think or demonstrably are better at it than them.'

'As stated above, the female Assembly is so intimidatingly competent that they effortlessly take over the city from their husbands, to eventual popular acclaim: ‘I propose that we hand over the running of Athens to the women. They are after all, the people to whom we look for the efficient management of our homes.’

'Aristophanes also provides a solid critique of the libertine lifestyle and philosophy, although knowingly. The paradox of personal liberty within an organised society is brought up, in a conversation very similar to his contemporary Plato’s Republic. When told of the equal and fair treatment and liberty of all citizens, men and women, a confused man asked of Praxagora:

Chremes: But tell me, who will farm the land?

Praxagora: The slaves!

'One can be forgiven for mistaking these debates as modern day political discussion, though perhaps the objectors to the reform movement are altogether more honest. Thier disdian for the poor and working classes is predicatable, but their disbeleif of medical and clerical evidence is less so.'

'It must be stated however that not all factory owners were slave drivers, though the most enlightened employers of the time would still face decades in prison today. Constructing a village for your workers rent free sounds wonderful. Sacking them if they leave at any time seems a little harsh. Banning them from alchol consumption as well is tantamount to torture.'

'There is something to both damn and praise in a man so lazy he could not be bothered to ensure his own factory wassafe to work in yet also demanded every other fellow's place was. His son became Prime Minister, and then bankrupted his father's buisness following a nationwide famine he caused. One can only wonder what the third generation of Robert Peel might have done had he lived.'

I think I will strongly disagree with your factory act dissertation. But then what is the point of writing something that is so banal no-one can be bothered to react to it?

I think I will strongly disagree with your factory act dissertation. But then what is the point of writing something that is so banal no-one can be bothered to react to it?

You like Peel? This is stuff cut from various drafts. In the case of Peel Senior, he found out about worker saftey after a fire in his mill, and figured he should do something. But there wasn't actually any consensus on what to do, so he decided the government should probably weigh in on it. And then he got caught up between the reformers and the rest of parliment. Apparently being super rich and tangentially linked to politics means something though because his son shot through the reformist ranks and ended up PM. Sort of an encapsulation of how unprepared the UK was for industrialist rich people who came from nowhere suddenly exerting tremendous wealth and influence into parliament.

The reformers were an odd blend. The old anti slaver movement, some Christian types, lots of doctors, a die hard proto communist and most of the richest factory owners in England. Bizarre to think an industry, the first industry indeed, brought down the government on itself.

Last edited:
Good luck with the dissertation man. :)

Chapter 8: The Family Creed

pnGSam2uj
po0WGuGWj

Before the sundering of the world, a mighty empire ruled in Europe. Not Roman, but those who claimed to be their descendants. And with the wisdom and foresight of Old Chester, we married into them in a very particular way beneficial to us. A scion of their family, Pepin, would take our bride and our name as his and his children’s, when the time came for them to wed. And when he, unexpectedly, became the new king in Francia, he affirmed to that promise. Perhaps he viewed Karling blood as a spent force, or sensed the vitality of our own. Whatever his reason, our House now ruled all of Europe.

po78TwF5j

Not wishing to rest idly, Derby took it upon himself to match his father’s intake. He promised his own son to the Princess of the Romans, whom lived and still stand strong in the East. This was before the days of their Great Seal with Lombardy, making our relation with them even older. I believe this binding will yet bring us much pain, and much power within this realm of ours. Such is the way of deals with such great powers on Earth.

poBjQ4Sgj
powTrmxkj

But Derby was not satisfied with these mortal strengths. He looked to the Heavens and found the Faith in turmoil, in Francia and in Rome; something again that has yet to be rectified and perhaps never will. But it was here that my forebears first became true Christians, instead of reluctant converts. After Derby, many tales and writings emerge on our piety, and many churches sprang up in these lands. It began with this man.

pnoOVIgoj
pmyMjN8Sj

God tested him, and tested him again. His faith was challenged and questioned, but never did Derby relent! He stood fast in his Faith and so Faith rewarded him, with a child born onto him: Wiglaf of Chester.

pl04EdJgj
plBL4IaUj

Another child of his was soon imperilled by mortal illness, and it became clear to all that Derby’s quest was not yet done. God wished him to go on a special mission and so he prepared to leave his homeland.

pn3Ly4tjj
pn8vaGmXj

pmqwuP53j

His vassals, bar the mutinous Macclesfield, were in good cheer of him by this time, so he could safely leave the place in good hands and their trust. He would also be aided by the newly matured Pepin, whose empire stretched from the coasts of the North Sea to the shores of the Mediterranean. Derby and Pepin could easily have thus taken a procession to Rome and indeed did so for Pepin’s coronation. But this was too easily done to be a holy passage, and so the pair looked further afield. They were called to the Holy Land itself, to the Great City of Christ.

plmunp2Hj
pmwCBGYBj

pnKOLP1Cj

A separate Epic tells of their travels and adventures through sea, forest and desert, through the land of the Infidel and Heathen, and to Jerusalem itself. Throughout the journey to the East, Derby began to exhibit the kindness and Christian charity his own father was well remembered for, and a humbleness that impressed the mighty king he travelled with. Some say that at this time, the king granted Derby and all his heirs the title Defender of the Faith, for their demonstrable piety.

pozkQbu9j
plvZjedOj

As he wondered around the old city, reflecting on the Bible, Derby came to some conclusions that mark our family to this day:

First, there is but one God in Heaven and so there must be one Arbiter on Earth. The Head of the Family must hold absolute power to rule absolutely.

Second, the Head of the Family is God’s chosen, thus anyone from the House may rule.

Third, a House divided cannot stand. When the Head is made, they will be followed. The only reasons to break from this sacred pledge is the Head threatening the House’s existence, or making war with God.

plXMBzd0j
pmjQgBnEj

These tenants of our Creed became embedded into our very souls, that all within our family, as then not yet fully formed from the darkness, can repeat them ad nauseum. We are the children of God, and of Lancaster. And so, we will choose, with God’s aid, our ruler from within our family, to love and obey.

pntxhiNgj

I was chosen. One day, perhaps, so will you, dear listeners. But we all bear a great weight of history, and must carry down the road towards the future Each and every one of us is responsible for the successes and failures of our entire line. And when I became Head, I was no longer a man. I am Lancaster. And to Lancaster, now, we finally come in our story.
They should be the Empire of the Greeks here!

They should be the Empire of the Greeks here!

The Eastern Romans? They're around. Doing very well too, in a long-standing alliance/on-off personal union with the Kingdom of Italy. They've split the balkans and much of eastern europe between them.

Good news! The dissertations are in, the degrees are done and writing AARs can return to focus! That means more on this Lancaster one and Little Dux for certain, and I'll also try to finish Albion because we have an actual end point now.

Bad news! Someone decided to stab their way through the Manchester Arndale and I'm thus required to do other things until tomorrow!

Good luck and welcome back to AARing. :)

I hope you weren’t anywhere near the attack - looks nasty, but seems no one was killed and some bystanders stepped in. :eek:

Good luck and welcome back to AARing. :)

I hope you weren’t anywhere near the attack - looks nasty, but seems no one was killed and some bystanders stepped in. :eek:

Nowhere near as bad as the actual bomb a few years ago. Packed stadium full of children next to big train station. St. John Ambulance medic volunteers were in attendance, some of whom were 18 uears old and ankle deep in...well, stuff.

Manchester's pretty tough about this sort of thing but the aftermath of all that wasn't prettty.

Anyway, looks like this was te first Arndale incident in a while that wasn't a terrorist attack so that's something. But yeah, more updates soon. If not today, tomorrow will have something up.