• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Coming of Age of Bohemond
Coming of Age of Bohemond

Robert Guiscard watched his son with pride. Yes, a bit lacking in other areas, but his knowledge or warfare was already superior. Unfortunately, these were the times where having a sword in your hand, trusted followers in tow and knowledge of what to do with them can lead a man high. Be it into glory or into gallows, but high. Bohemond will do well, of that, he was certain.

1599928859108.png

Hello, Bohemond of no specific county yet.

He beckoned his son over, making a gesture encompassing the city, the port and much of the island. All nicely visible from the castle parapets.

“One day, my son, this will all be yours,” he said.

Bohemond just said “Hmph”

Robert looked at him questiongly.

“Yes, all this will be mine. All that you show me. The entire county of Palermo!” said Bohemond. “And that is all!”

Robert sighed.

“Yes, your brother..”

“Half-brother”, Bohemond corrected him. And added to himself. “Roger will get Apulia. Both the Duchy and the county. And i’m fine with it. Sicily is much better. Though i’d prefer to get everything!”

“Well, I cannot leave your brother poor, landless and at your mercy, can I now?” asked Robert

“I wouldn’t mind,” replied Bohemond. “It is just- I don’t want to start my rule with taking back what is rightfully mine from my brothers. There are better targets out there...”

“And as I said, Roger is fine by me. It is Guy that irks me...”

Robert nodded. “Succession rules...”

“Fuck the rules! Fuck the rules where I will get Palermo, while he gets Syracuse and Agrigento and Rossano on top of it!”

1599928822247.png

Bohemond, future King of Sicily, Duke of Sicily and a meager count of Palermo

Robert sighed. “Son, I understand your predicament.”

“Like fuck you do!”

“Like fuck I do! Do you think I do want to lose everything I worked for to these stupid partition rules? Do you really think I want my son and heir to become one of the weakest rulers in the realm and watch as my life’s work is torn apart by internal strife and then, eaten up by stronger neighbors?”

Robert’s outburst really took Bohemond by surprise. “Didn’t know you cared,” he muttered, half-embarrassed

“That’s because we don’t talk much, not because I don’t care,” replied Robert. “But worry not, my son, i’ve been thinking about it. A lot. I’m far from dying, but I’m old enough that the succession weighs heavily on my mind...”

Robert leaned on the parapets, gazing at the city. “This is one of the reasons I’ve moved the capital to Palermo. Now, you will inherit Palermo, not Roger. And Palermo is much better than Apulia.” He took a small pause and continued, “Well, there is also the fact that Palermo as a powerbase is much better than Apulia. Richer, more soldiers, more fertile. Good trading location.”

1599928793344.png

Moving capital to Palermo

Bohemond nodded.

“But don’t worry, son,” said Robert. “I will make sure you get the entire island. And as it is your job to ensure that your main heir will get the whole island.”

“How’s Eudokia?” the King changed the subject. Bohemond looked blissful. “You know, the way she...” Bohemond had enough decency to stop half-way, but his lustful grin hinted strongly what he meant.

“Ahh, that’s just the thing, boy,” Robert winked. “It is good to get a heir. But a King must show some restraint here... for one heir is good, two is trouble...”

“Look who’s talking. I heard you knocked up my step-mother again,” grinned Bohemond. Robert shrugged in reply.

“I’m just a man,” he said. “Not a saint.”

“I’m hoping for a daughter,” said Bohemond. Honestly. “

“So am I, son, so am I.”

Lot had happened. Bohemond, growing up and marrying. And moving the capital to Palermo. And Sichelgaita giving birth to a beautiful daughter, named Gaitelgrima after her aunt. Yes, luckily, it was a daughter. Another child, without further complicating the succession of the Kingdom. Robert felt happy.

1599928922568.png

Another Hauteville

Across the Adriatic

Duke Mihaljo Voislavić of Duklja was not the smartest man. Independent Duke, situated between the Byzantine Empire and Croatia. Perhaps he should have balanced the powers against each other, playing a precarious diplomatic game to keep himself independant. Instead, he adopted lollardy. And with him lollarding about, he could not find much in terms of friends, allies and supporters- something both Byzantine and Croatia took advantage of. Now, the Duke was just down to the county of Pomorje. Situated conveniently on the shore of Adriatic.

1599928943262.png

Duke Mihaljo had lost pretty much everything

Robert was not against kicking people when they’re down. Quite the contrary, that was when he preferred to do the kicking. Plus, he had some brand new mangonels that needed the test drive. And Duke Mihaljo being Lollard gave him a valid excuse to be a conquering bastard. What is more noble that being the conquering bastard in the name of Christ?

The war was declared on 19th September, 1074. 10 days later, the forces of Robert started to embark, braving the treacherous autumn sea of the Adriatic. Arriving in November, they met no resistance, because all the forces of Mihajlo were depleted in the recent war against Byzantines. So, the Normans just besieged the castle. Robert gave command to his knight, Geoffrey de Mobray, for the man was much better at using the new mangonels. Soon, Geoffrey had managed to turn castle walls into rubble while the defenders managed to deplete the food stores and got a disease going on.

1599928971585.png

Normans testing new mangonels

The castle fell in February. Normans captured Dragomir, the steward of Mihajlo. Since apparently, loyal service as the steward does not count enough to be ransomed, Robert pressed him into service. “Better then to rot away in a dungeon or be a steward of a Duke who has no land,” as Robert put it. “Though I will not offer you a job as a steward, you are more than welcome to stay in my court. Or hang. Your choice”. Dragomir chose the court.

1599929142024.png

Become a courtier or become a corpse.

Then, the war was over and Normans now had a holding on the other shore of Adriatic. Robert kept the county for himself for the moment. It was not bad county at all- it had a castle, a church and a city. A bit poor, but what county isn't nowadays.

1599929097177.png

County that is aptly named "Next to the sea". Newest holding within Kingdom

Royal Matters

During the war for Duklja, princess Matilda of Sicily, first child from the union of Robert and Siechelgaita, came of age. Promised as a token for alliance between Duke Nikephoros of Epirus and Robert Guiscard, the promise still held. Just now, Nikephoros had died and his son had became a count. Count Romanos of Metzovo. A count is still good, said Robert, and Matilda left the Norman lands for the Byzantine Empire.

1599929022762.png

Second daughter of Robert Guiscard, married to a Byzantine count

As for Count Roger of Messina, he was a Count no more. Following the example of Roger, he proclaimed himself as a Duke of Calabria and moved his headquarters back to mainland, to Reggio Calabria. The most powerful vassal within the Kingdom, but the alliance between Roger and Robert also makes him the most well-behaving vassal in the Kingdom.

1599929058334.png

Duke Roger of Calabria

Decades ago, when Hautevilles came to Mezzogiorno, no-one heard their names. Obscure nobles from an unimportant family. Their role was to be on the footnotes of history, not remembered but by a few academics. Now, with them controlling almost all of Mezzogiorno, they could no longer be ignored. Called as “Norman upstarts” by Byzantines and for example Matilda of Tuscany and “Northern barbarians” by Muslims. Not the most pleasant- but as Robert said: “At least, they cannot ignore us no more.” And they were right- Hautevilles could no longer be ignored.

1599929173916.png

Hautevilles. Now, just insignificant.

Heh, I bet most of you thought i would expand towards Africa? So did I, to be honest. But Duklja was too good of a target, just waiting there, across the sea, to be picked up.
And Bohemond is kind of one-sided. I'm hoping for something more special as grandchildren though...

The two of them do, in those representations, look suitably imperious. Though I note Sichelgaita is setup so it looks like she has just noticed her husband has put his cloak on inside or out or something similar :)

Yes, Sichelgaita has indeed quite a look on her face. Something between mildly annoyed and more then mildly annoyed. :p

A King at last! Wonderful. Love your portrayal of why counties are converting to Norman culture.

In theory, this should be describing me converting to Sicilian, but hey, I like the Normans :)

Ahh the mess of succession. One has to hand it to Paradox, they invent a system wacky enough one cannot work out if it is WAD or a bug :p

Succession woes, annoying but at least you won't lose your crown. Something to work towards fixing.

Into Africa!
Into Africa!

Emirate of Kairouan is an interesting mixture. Near the coastline you have your beautiful cities, blooming trade, arts, knowledge and architecture and all the other nice things. Even plumbing on some occasions. Inlands, you have bedouins, living their tribal ways, like their forefathers have been for thousands of years.

From the county of Tunis, with a potential of five holdings and currently having both castle, city and temple holdings to the Arigh tribe, located on a few (almost) safe passageways through Sahara.

This setup actually works quite well for them. As the locals keep on saying: polish comes from the cities; wisdom from the desert. Or by other words, more civilized parts of the country provide food and other goods while the more barbaric parts continue the lands well-supplied with protection, loot and slaves. Still, the synergy of these so different ways of life is quite amazing.

This was all about to come to and end though. Robert Guiscard, looking at ways to expand his holdings, had been eyeing the rich Duchy of Tunis for a long time. It was there, it was rich and it was full of Muslims. The latter allowed Robert to gain new lands, conquer new enemies and look pious while doing it- not so bad of a relationship at all.

High Chieftain Munis ibn Yahya Riyadid of Kairouan kept the more civilized parts of his Emirate under the control of his vassals, while the tribal lands were under his direct control. Making him actually quite a powerful ruler. Not much of a military man though. The numbers were just about similar, but the Normans had Robert Guiscard.

1600028537263.png

Perfect location for expansion across the sea

On 30th of May 1075, Robert declared war on the Munis, with a goal to conquer the lands of Tunis. The Norman forces started their gathering at Palermo, from where they would board the ships and cross the small distance between Sicily and North African coast. The spirits were high. The crosses were distributed freely. The priests did their sermons, promising remission of sins to all who go across the sea and give up their life for the glory of Robert Guiscard. Well, they might have worded it a bit differently.

Just four days after, on 3rd of June, a messenger arrived in Palermo, from Duke Roger of Calabria. Asking for help from Robert with the peasant revolt. “Them revolting peasants,” Robert cursed and changed plans to march to mainland Italy instead.

1600028593164.png

Perfect timing

In the beginning of July, the Sicilian army reached Cosenza, where Duke Roger was already in the process of slaughtering the peasants. Robert joined the fun and with the combined forces, the poor peasants were killed to a man.

Then, the reports came in- peasants on a boat! Apparently, Kussil, the leader of the army, managed to sneak into some unguarded galleys, set sail and was currently landing in Reggio Calabria. Normally, this would have even beet a smart move- landing behind the enemy and all of that. But not in this case, where you land an army of peasants deep into enemy territory, with the armies of Duke and King being nearby.

They landed at the end of July. Only to find Robert Guiscard and his men waiting. Angry, impatient and annoyed, for they should be in Africa at the moment. And 237 peasants to use as target practice to relieve this anger. Poor Kussil and his soldiers- there were actually fights breaking out on who gets to kill the peasant.

Being a King does have its privileges. Robert Guiscard got to kill Kussid. Publically. Slowly. With great pain. Showing anyone what will happen to these trying to oppose him.

1600028614235.png

End of the Great Peasant Maritime Invasion

Robert of Lanciano dealt with the final peasant outbreak in Salerno. In just two month, the realm of Sicily was again free of the revolting peasants. Also, it made a nice family outing- Roger brought all his relatives together for a peasant hunt. Still, it was a delay Robert Guiscard did not care much for. As soon as the peasants had been pacified, the Normans entered the boats and sailed across the sea- this time, to their real goal, Tunis.

1600028655775.png

Peasants, pacified.

It was finally on 15th September 1075 when Normans made a landfall in Tunis. Geoffrey de Mowbray, the resident expert with mangonels, took over the command. He was good. Really good. He knew just how to aim, just where to aim, finding the weak spots of the castles and using the magnificent machines to hurl rocks just where it hurt. Soon, the walls started to crumble and the morale of the defenders started to wade. On 14th November, a day less than two month, the castle of Tunis fell.

1600028681368.png

Arrival in Tunis

Unfortunately, of people of value, Normans found only one son of Count Abd-al’Haqq during the looting and killing that followed afterwards. Still, 10 gold is better than no gold and Robert Guisard ransomed the lad right back to his father.

Normans moved on to Kairwan, the only inland county of Tunis. Main reason- the final county of Satfura actually has a proper bona fide keep. More then able to hold back the Norman besiegers for months to come. Kairwan was just faster.

The beginning of the year of 1076 saw the forces of Kairouan marching to Tunis and putting the city under siege. Also well-equipped with mangonels, they lacked Geoffrey de Mowbray though. Now, it was a race. Who will be the first to breach? Who will be the first to make the castle fall?

1600028712766.png

Race you to surrender!

Normans had a bit of a head start. It was in the beginning of February when the Kairwan fell. This time, the loot was better as well. Zwira, first wife of Count Kamil. 25 gold!

Now, Robert Guiscard took over and marched his troops to relieve Tunis. The enemy scattered and fled towards the south, but the Normans caught up to them, in Zaghwan, barony next to Tunis.

The leader of the enemy armies was Count Abd-al’Haqq, the owner of Tunis. It is perfectly understandable that the guy wanted his county back. The thing is- he was actually very-well versed in warfare. Almost to the level of Robert Guiscard. Almost. The forces were about equal- Normans did outnumber the enemy, but Abd-al’Haqq had also almost 500 light soldiers.

1600028738372.png

The enemy commander is surprisingly formidable

The knights were the ones that turned the battle. Just 13 of them, sure. But the majority of them were really good. Well-armed, well-versed in battle. The ground trembled as the Normans charged, death-defying, into enemy ranks. Broke through, impaling some of the enemy on their pikes. Created confusion amongst the enemy ranks, as the small contingent of armored men trampled into Muslim forces. Followed by the levies, crashing into the ranks. This was enough to make the enemy turn.

1600028776624.png

First blood

Not the greatest victory by far, but Robert managed to push the enemy back, kill about fifth of the enemies and send the rest running to the hinterlands.

The Normans moved on northwards, where they besieged Banzart in Satfura. Indeed, the fort was something the Normans had never seen before. Well-fortified, well-placed. Huge walls. Geoffrey de Mowbray’s eyes lit up. Finally, a challenge!

It was all fun and games until in May, peasants in Rossano rose up against lords, taxes, Normans and all such stuff. Led by Anastasios, low-ranking local noble. Fairly competent man. Robert Guiscard sent them an official letter. With no words, just a big number 2 on it.

1600028840060.png

Bloody peasants and their bloody timing!

At about the same day, yet another messenger of Duke Roger arrived. This time, informing that the Duke had started the war to conquer chiefdom of Djerba and it would be swell if Robert Guiscard could join the fun. Robert, after consulting with maps and advisors, found Djerba. A worthless tribe near Tripolitania. King gave Roger his blessings- but said that he can offer a lot of prayers, but no men.

1600028804777.png

Duke Roger, going after a tribe further South

In July 1076, the fortress of Banzart was about to give up and roll over. Finally. It was then the enemy once again returned and once again, put Tunis under siege. Predictable. By that time, Geoffrey had already worked his miracles. The castle had taken proper damage, their food stocks were emptying and diseases were running rampant inside the fortress. The surrender was not too far off.

1600028870135.png

Here we go again.

In August, the county fell. No walls can hold Geoffrey, it seems. Just some can hold a bit longer. Also, this time, jackpot! Count al-Lakmhi was hiding there, instead being in the field like a proper vassal should be. 50 gold, plus some extra from additional prisoners.

1600028904782.png

Jackpot!

Then, it was time to march southwards. Yet again, the enemy abandoned the siege of Tunis and tried to pull back. Yet again, the Normans intercepted the enemy at Zaghwan. Yet again, the results were about the same. Just, this time, the enemy managed to corner and kill Count Sergios of Napoli, adding an unexpected boon to Robert Guiscard. Countess Pulcheria seemed like a much better hostile vassal than Sergios. As for the enemy, they once again took some losses and pulled back.

1600029026057.png

A victory and a lucky break

This was enough though. High Chieftain Munis fully understood that he could not defeat the Normans. Tunis under control of the Normans, two battles lost, half his vassals being forced to pay ransom to Robert Guiscard. It was certain that Robert would keep on coming. As a wise man, Munis fully understood that it was time to beg for peace.

In October 1076, Munis gave up, giving Tunis to Normans. Three whole counties in North Africa were now part of the Sicilian Kingdom. For the first time in centuries, Europe wasn’t under assault from the Muslims. Instead, the Muslims were under assault from the Europeans. Bringing the fight back to their home territory.

1600029445066.png

The newly conquered lands of Sicily. Also, Duke Arnaud doing his own little crusade on lower right.

It was not all good though. Duke Roger had been wounded in the last battle of Zaghwan. Wounded bad enough that a few days before the peace, the Duke drew his final breath. Beloved brother of Robert, the Duke died like a proper ruler should. He confessed his sins. He said good-bye to his friends. He fasted. He left all his holdings to his son, Arnauld. And made Robert swear that he will take care of the boy. Then, he received a final communion. And departed from this world to the next and hopefully best.

1600029061125.png

Rest well, dear brother. And hello, nephew!

Robert, unable to take the loss, sought solace with women of questionable nature, but with a fixed price. Fortunately, the army had its share of camp followers. Some for the poor soldiers, some for the more exquisite members of the society. You know, nicer tents, prettier girls, less diseases. Robert secluded himself there for days. Came back a changed man. Or at least, a man with less stress. And a lighter purse. And with a reputation.

1600029100976.png

The loss of his brother truly did force Robert into questionable deeds

Robert had some decisions to do. First, it was a new steward. It seemed like Dragomir’s capture and pressing him into service was a good idea. Especially considering Dragomir was a much better steward. And Robert had an issue- running out of adult powerful vassals who wanted to be in the council.

The second decision to make was a bit more unpleasant to Robert. Giving away the newly conquered lands. Something Robert enjoyed much less than the conquering of these lands.

First, it was Serlo de Hauteville, nephew of Robet Guiscard. He got Medjerda, the inland county of the Tunis duchy. A fully developed county, with a proper castle, a city and a temple. Overall, a great catch.

Then, it was Prince Guy, Robert’s youngest. Now, Count Guy of Tunis. He is the one who got the jackpot. The richest, most developed- and with the most potential. No nepotism involved, ok. 14-year old Count was feeling thrilled at least.

1600029144251.png

A son and a nephew, now counts of Tunis and Medjerda.

Finally, Herman de Hauteville, brother of Count Abelard. He received Pomorje. You know, the single Balkan province Robert was thus far the sole owner of. Third county of Tunis, Satfura, the King kept to himself.

1600029194078.png

Another nephew and new Count of Next to Sea

Then, it was all done. The war over. The titles distributed. The brother buried. It was time for Anastasios to see what Robert meant by number 2.

I'm pretty sure this war came as a surprise to no-one. The most logical place for expansion. The only reasonable place for expansion. After all, in the East, there is Byzantine Empire. In the North, there are Holy Roman Empire and Papacy. Well, in the west, there is island of Sardinia, but claims cost money, so attacking Africa is cheaper.

Good timing on the peasant revolts though. And poor Duke Robert. He was one of my best knights.

Ahh the mess of succession. One has to hand it to Paradox, they invent a system wacky enough one cannot work out if it is WAD or a bug :p

Oh yes. :D
Took me a while to figure that one out.
Something as vital to CK3 as succession should have received much more attention.

Succession woes, annoying but at least you won't lose your crown. Something to work towards fixing.

Kinda fixed. Now, I need just 250 gold to make Sicily safe for Bohemond. :)
The thing is, my main qualm with the gavelkind/partition is that it limits me to one duchy and one alone. Annyoing.

Well it makes sense - now if they ever properly instituted a trading mechanic you could arguably charge money to keep ships safe as they voyaged in that narrow bit of Med between Africa and Sicily (ie a very Norman protection racket). One can dream.

Reactions:
Pesky peasants, distracting you from more useful wars.

A semi successful war, the loss of your brother and arguably your best knight is a tough one to take. Maybe his son can follow in the footsteps of his dad and become a great knight one day.

Finally, the conquest has begun in earnest. A king has risen, an empire will be made.

Brotherly Love
Brotherly Love

As the Normans were sailing back from Africa to deal with the rebels, Robert Guiscard received a letter from Count Romanos of Metzovo. Husband of his daughter, Matilda. Apparently, his brother and suzerain, Doux Nikolaos of Cephalonia, was trying to take Metzovo from his brother- just to make himself more powerful. Members of House Palailogos do not play nice.

“Blood is thicker than water,” Robert Guiscard commented as he received the letter . “And whoever tries to make my daughter destitute will pay for it. Dearly.”

Thus, the Normans were at war again.

1600200917052.png

Count Romanos, getting ousted by his own elder brother, Doux Nikolaos

Revolting Peasants

Meanwhile, the rebels were actually successful in capturing and pillaging the county of Rossano and had moved on to siege Cosenza, the province next to it. Duke Arnald was not thrilled, for it was his personal demesne being threatened, but being about 5 years old, he could cry all he wanted, no-one cared.

On 21st of January 1077, the main army of the Kingdom of Sicily descended upon the naugty peasants like a thunderstorm praying down upon weary travellers. It was suddenly pouring Normans, with sharp weapons and murder on their mind, and the poor peasants were giving a proper lesson on why they were the peasants while Normans called themselves warriors. Normans lost 17 soldiers, while the entire peasant army was hunted down without mercy.

1600200873808.png

Not a good time to be a revolting peasant

With one exception. Their leader, Anastasios, a minor noble from Rossano, was brought in chains before the King. Right there, in the fields of Cosenza, still littered with bodies of what were his comrades a few hours ago. Now, they were more of a fertilizer. Everyone expected Robert to add Anastasion to the fertilizers. Most likely in a horrible and slow way.

Instead, Robert looked at his former enemy and asked simply: “Say, you want a job?”

Everyone, including Anastasios, looked at him, shocked. Then, the prisoner raised his head high and proudly said “I will rather die then empty your chamberpot or shovel manure of whatever you had in mind!”

Robert chuckled. “You know, emptying my chamberpot is actually a very sought after job. And I’m not sure you’d qualify. No, I had something else on my mind. Want to join my knights?”

There was more shock. Bohemond himself stood up, asking “Father! What is the meaning of this? You want this backstabbing bastard to ride along you.” he paused, then added “Ride along US?”

“Boy, if I say he rides with us, he rides with us.” replied Robert in a slightly annoyed tone. “So, what say you?”

“Death or Knighthood?” replied Anastasios. Robert nodded.

Anastasios glanced at the soon-to-be-decaying bodies of his soldiers. He decided he did not want to join them. “I’ll fight for you,” he said.

“Unchain him,” said Robert and in the same field, he knighted Anastasios, the peasant leader.

“Valuable lesson to all- if you want a job, rebel against us,” mumbled Bohemond.

Robert, who heard it, replied with simple: “Rebel against us and be good.”

1600200781133.png

Death or Knighthood, Anastasios?

Across the Adriatic

The Normans reached the lands of Epirus in May 1077. Just as they arrived, news reached them- Duke Nikolaos has won a major battle against his brother in the capital of Romanos. Epic indeed, for the legend says only 6 soldiers from the enemy side were left standing in when the battle ended.

1600200736088.png

6 soldiers pursuing 386

Unfortunately for the winning side, it was not a slow and a bit boring siege from now on, until Romanos was deprived of his capital. Robert turned his forces towards Metzovo, where less than 500 happy victors celebrated their grand victory and tried to calculate how to effectively siege the castle with little more numbers then the defenders. Until the Normans came and wiped them out. And capturing Mayor Damianos in the process- you know, some good old ransom to cover the embarking costs. Days after, the mayor was set free, leaving a modest pile of gold behind and he left the Norman camp, followed by mocking Normans who asked him to enlist to Doux’s army again, so they could get twice the money.

1600200707932.png

The Normans showing how things are done

Then, the Normans went to besiege the county of Nicpolis. That fell in October, bagging Normans one countess, 8 years old and worth 50 gold. Not a bad deal at all.

Then, it was time for the enemy capital, located in the island of Cephalonia to fall. No particular results, no-one captured, just 22 gold from looting. The war was coming to an end though soon. Or so the Normans thought.

Doux Nikolaos hired some help. In March, the Longbeards beat the forces of Count Romanos. Followed by Normans marching in and sending them packing. After the battle, the King asked Captain Perctarit of the Longbears to have a pleasant dinner, before the beards and the Greeks continued their running. A truce was set, a table was set and wine was served. Two men had a pleasant evening.

1600201189423.png

Longbeards defeating the forces of Romanos, then Normans defeating the Longbeards

During the dinner, already quite drunk Robert Guiscard said “You should pick better whom you work for, you know”

“What, you’re offering?” Perctarit replied.

“Nah, i’m fine,” replied Robert.
“And by fine, he means cheap”, Bohemond added, grinning.

“That’s the thing though,” Perctarit said. “If you’re doing fine, you don’t need me. If your armies happen to be slaughtered by say Normans, then you come knocking on my door. And then, I take their money, because why not. My men need to eat. I don’t have much of a choice.”

Robert nodded. After thinking over a bit, he advised “It would be smart to avoid any contracts that involve opposing me though.”

Perctarit just pretended he didn’t hear that. The next morning, the war continued.

In July, the Normans managed to corner the army of an ally of Nikola, Duchess Eirene of Opsikion (1 years old), in the province of Angelokastron. Nikolaos and other troops nearby suddenly decided that they have places to be and things to do, leaving the poor enemy to fend for themselves.

1600201234908.png

A battle, you say? No, i have heard of no battle! I have business elsewhere!

This battle turned out to be very profitable. As the Normans rounded up the prisoners, they found out that they netted one count and two mayors, meaning 110 gold in ransoms. Biggest catch as of yet.

With this, the war was coming to an end. In October, the peace was signed. Not only did Romanos keep his lands, Nikolaos was deposed from his lands titles. The middle brother, Georgios, took over both Duchies of Epiros and Cephalonia. A flagellant, rakish man, wounded by Normans during the war.

1600200525006.png

The end of the war. Finally. And the new Doux

As for Normans, they sailed back home, leaving behind Romanos and a bit ravaged and looted Duchy of Epiros. At least, with all the ransoming and ravaging, they not only cut their losses, but made a little money from the love lost between brothers.

Royal Matters

Roger de Hauteville, the second son of Robert and heir apparent to the Duchy of Apulia, came of age in January 1077. A bit of a disappointment to his father, sure. But a son is a son, after all. You can’t pick them.

1600200807941.png

Not all of them grow up to be brilliant though.

Followed by Guy de Hauteville, the Count of Tunis, in January 1078. Passable diplomat, passable general, poor soldier. Married to the eldest daughter of Roger, former Duke of Calabria. Unfortunately, none were as good as Bohemond. Still, a family is family and both were expected to be powerful vassals when the King passes from this world.

1600200629703.png

Count Guy of Tunis

In July 1077, the small war of Duke Robert, now continued by Duke Arnald, came to conclusion, kicking the poor chieftain out of his tribal lands and taking over a perfectly useless county in the North coast of Africa.

1600200669748.png

Yay! A tribal holding!

In July 1077, Bohemond, the son and heir of Robert Guiscard, received news. Eudokia bore him a son. The birth was without a hitch, the child was healthy and the Hauteville line was more secure then ever. It was not until the end of the war though, when the happy father and grandfather reached Palermo, they got to see the child. By then, Bohemond the Younger was already more than a year old. And boy, the boy looked exceptional.

1600201148288.png

Hello there, young Prince!

With Bohemond the Younger, the future of Hautevilles was cemented indeed.

Well, now that was the waste of time. Luckily, with the captures and looting, I made some money, not lost it.

And with Bohemond the Younger, the future of the Hautevilles looks... well, promising.

Well it makes sense - now if they ever properly instituted a trading mechanic you could arguably charge money to keep ships safe as they voyaged in that narrow bit of Med between Africa and Sicily (ie a very Norman protection racket). One can dream.

Oh, I wish. Some sort of trade mechanic like this, just more dynamic then the one in CK2.

Pesky peasants, distracting you from more useful wars.

Indeed. They have a nasty habit of attacking just when you're the weakest. Sneaky peasants!

A semi successful war, the loss of your brother and arguably your best knight is a tough one to take. Maybe his son can follow in the footsteps of his dad and become a great knight one day.

While I agree, Roger was my best knight, he was already getting past his prime as well. Best knight for not even a decade. And it does have some bonuses. But more on that in the next episode.

Finally, the conquest has begun in earnest. A king has risen, an empire will be made.

More or less. I have a nasty habit of giving titles away to my dynasty only, but this also means my expansion is limited to number of alive people who can be granted lands and are not already first (or second) on a succession list. No nepotism, no sir!

A most intriguing recruitment philosophy :)

I must say, the 3D models may be mostly wasted at present, but seeing your rivals and courtiers in prison is very funny. And satisfying.

Reactions:
Knighting Anastasios... got to say, I didn't see that coming. I'm curious how that'll work out in the long run.

Beware of Kings Gifting Horses

King Robert, returning from the war in the Balkans, did not only find a brilliant grandson back home. Sichelgaita greeted him with two daughters! Yolanda and Fresende, just born, filled the castle with joy, laughter and unbearable noise. Feeling joyous, Robert ordered grand celebrations all around. And in very secret, he was really happy that both of them turned out to be girls.

1600285878580.png

Yay, twins! Double-yay! Daughters!

It was also time for Prince Roger to finally marry. Melisende, a lowborn French girl, residing in Provins. Bit of a glutton, but intelligent, diplomatic and hopefully, able to add nice heirs to the Hauteville legacy. As long as she enjoys carnal pleasures nearly half as much as food, Roger should have a line of children in tow.

1600286021787.png

Roger, getting married

Meanwhile, the other Norman kingdom was finally secure. Robert the Conqueror of England had managed to push back the Norse and was now without question the True King of England. Now, he was fighting King of France over the county of Eu, but even this seems to be a successful venture for the young Norman King. It seems like the conquerors of both North and South are here to stay.

1600286110937.png

Robert of England is doing quite well

“Now, Arnald,” Robet said to his 6-year old nephew, Duke of Calabria. “I’m going to take your cousin Adele from you, ok?”

Arnald's face started to fill with tears. Robert continued quickly: “And in return, I shall give you this!” He beckoned his servant and he came in, carrying a masterfully crafted wooden horse. With wheels and everything. “This horsie will be all yours!,” the King exclaimed. “You like it?”

Arnald, still on the verge of crying, nodded quickly. Robert ordered the servant to put it down and without hesitation, the Duke climbed on a horse and screamed “Charge, horsie!”, while his hand rose up, like holding a sword.

“Hey,” said Robert to the servant. “We should have some wooden swords as well. Go check Bohemond’s old stuff!”

Within minutes, the servant was back, holding a toy sword that obviously had seen a lot of use and handed it to Arnald. The Duke was exalted. He rode his horsie and held his sword up high and played hunting unbelievers.

King watched him, smiling. “So, Adele,” he asked again after a while.

Duke looked at his horsie, a bit guiltily. “But I like to play with cousin Adele,” he said in a somber voice. Looking a bit like crying once again.

“Oh, you can play with Adele” smiled the King. “In fact, I think I shall send her permanently to your castle, so you can play all the time with her.”

1600285912310.png

One Adele, please!

“Oh, it’s all right then,” replied the Duke and turned his attention to horsie again. “I shall name you Cookie!”

“Why Cookie?” said the King, smiling

“Cause I love cookies and I love my horsie!”

To that flawless logic, the King had nothing more to say.

Soon, Arnald departed the city of Palermo, having signed some legal documents and also, agreeing to become a ward of King Robert. Like a true knight, he rode proudly on his Cookie, while one servant pulled the horse and another one followed, making sure that the Duke would not trip on the uneven streets of Palermo and would not get his noble cloak all muddy. It was a lovely sight, bringing up a crowd of cheering onlookers. Arnald rode proudly, holding his wooden sword up high.

1600286181686.png

Duke Arnald, the newest ward of King Robert

Few days later, King Robert Guiscard revoked the County of Messina from the 4-year old Countess and sent little Adele to the court of Duke Arnald, where the two of them could play all they want for as long as they would like.

1600285967803.png

Countess Adele, your reign will be short

Since he was not a totally heartless bastard, he gave Arnald something else as compensation. His personal demesne, County of Rossano, also in Calabria. Though a bit looted and ravaged after the peasant revolt took the castle and as of late, also riddled with bit of bandits, it was still a fine gift, compensating the loss of core lands of Arnald. Though the horsie was more important to the Duke. Rest of the Kingdom appreciated Robert’s gesture with this one. Adele got pretty much nothing then a permanent playmate though. World can be cruel to women.

1600285995448.png

Have a horsie and a county, boy!

Also, incidentally, Robert Guiscard now held the entire Island of Sicily as his personal demesne. Malta was still under control of Arnald, but since this wasn’t the richest, more fertile and otherwise interesting land, Robert was fine with it. Palermo was 4-barony county, Agrigento, Messina and Syracuse were all 3-province counties. Malta managed to squeeze one castle in and that was that. No wonder Robert was not really interested- his personal demesme limit could be used more effectively elsewhere.

Securing the Succession

It was in November 1078 when King Robert claimed that he is the Duke of Tunis. High Chieftain Munis can call himself that all he wants, but it is Robert who is actually holding the title and most of the lands. And if Munis really doesn’t like that, he is more then welcome to grab his boys and march to Tunis and take back the land. No takers on that.

Instead, the Normans continued their celebration, filling the streets of Tunis with wine, beer, drunk Normans, bad singing and even worse dancing, as Robert crowned himself as the Duke.

1600286050650.png

Munis, I hope you don't mind

With this, King Robert Guiscard had now a total of three Duchy titles. And three sons. Meaning, Roger will get Duchy of Apulia and County of Apulia. Guy will get Duchy of Tunis and County of Satfura, also conveniently in Tunis. Roger will end up with a short stick, for he will get the Duchy, sure. He will also get Count Geoffroy of Bari as his vassal- and the Count has two of Apulian counties, while Roger will have just one. Basically, making Geoffrey de facto Duke and Roger de facto count. Meanwhile, Guy already controls Tunis, thus making him a powerful ruler within his own realm, with Count Serlo de Hauteville having no chance to rock the stability of his realm.

Most importantly though- Bohemond de Hauteville will now inherit the Kingdom of Sicily, Duchy of Sicily and all four provinces of the Duchy of Sicily, making him still the strongest amongst the Hautevilles and also, making sure that the Real Royal Demesme, as Roger put it, remained in the hands of the ruler.

1600286080157.png

The succession is secure!

Roger sighed with relief. He, already 63 years old, health ailing, knew full well that if he did not leave his realm in capable hands, where the King is also the most powerful of the rulers, the fledgling Norman Kingdom will fall. Combined with internal struggle and external enemies, the precious little Kingdom would fall, their lands conquered by enemies and soon, forgotten by all.

Now, there was less chance of this happening. Much less chance.

-15 opinion penalty for holding 3 duchies is nothing compared to keeping the succession of the realm in order. Now, the splintering is kept to a bare minimum. Happy times.
Also, finally, a sole owner of the Island of Sicily.

A most intriguing recruitment philosophy :)

If you are good, you will get a job. If you are bad, you will get a rope.
Cruel, but effective :D

I must say, the 3D models may be mostly wasted at present, but seeing your rivals and courtiers in prison is very funny. And satisfying.

I personally quite like them, but yes, mostly wasted room. Some eye candy is nice though.
And yes, prisons are the best. Torture as well.

Knighting Anastasios... got to say, I didn't see that coming. I'm curious how that'll work out in the long run.

Spoiler- gets wounded in a random battle few years from now and dies to these wounds.

Really enjoying this! Haven’t had much time to play CK3 myself but enjoying following along and learning the various intricacies of the game!

CK3 has a learning curve indeed. Especially the inheritance mechanics are confusing at best.
Glad to have you along! ;)

Reactions:
There's still time yet for the succession to go all squiff! :D

Still things do look hopeful for the next generation.

Good to have the succession more or less finalized to cause as few problems as possible. Don't want your heir to spend half his reign dealing with rebellious brothers.