• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1659180792323.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
ARP1.png

Interval Act, Blackpool, February 1937

George Formby ambled up to the stage, his wide, toothy grin manically flashed to all who watched him. He cleared his throat, itself an act of apparent hilariousness to the sad fools paying to watch this dismal spectacle. He opened his mouth, gave his banjo an exploratory twang, and…

Er, no. I’m nearly ready to post our next update, but before I do, I wanted to offer something that I have struggled, at least initially, to feed into the plot (this is a narrative AAR, after all!), namely, a detailed rundown of the Eden Cabinet. I have been overt in Foreign Secretary and Chancellor of the Exchequer (given the scheming needed to get ‘em in place) and have hinted at others (Halifax at the India Office, for example).

Prime Minister - Anthony Eden MP
Chancellor of the Exchequer - Oliver Stanley MP
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs - Howard Kingsley Wood MP
Secretary of State for the Home Department - David Margesson MP
Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain - Viscount Hailsham
Secretary of State for India - Viscount Halifax
First Lord of the Admiralty - Lord Stanley
Secretary of State for War - Baron Strathcona
Secretary of State for Air - Viscount Swinton
Leader of the House of Lords - The Marquess of Zetland
President of the Board of Trade - William Ormsby-Gore MP
Secretary of State for Scotland - Walter Elliot MP
Secretary of State for the Colonies - Euan Wallace MP
President of the Board of Education - Sir Thomas Inskip MP
Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs - The Earl Stanhope
Attorney General - Sir Donald Somervell MP
Paymaster General - Herwald Ramsbotham MP (that really is his name!)
Minister of Agriculture - Sir Walter Womersley MP (ditto)
Minister of Labour - The Earl of Plymouth
Minister of Health - Robert Hudson MP
Government Chief Whip - Thomas Dugdale MP

Probably the only surprise is Margesson, this will be covered in a later chapter (I think!).

That aside…

I am aware that back in 2020 I offered a “requests show”, featuring anyone that the commentatAARs wanted to see. I think that @TheButterflyComposer summed this best…

@Le Jones then makes the truly terrible mistake of asking for character suggestions for inserting into the narrative. Thus:

That accurate, if withering analysis aside, I did at least manage to include @DensleyBlair ’s request of James Maxton, and will (eventually) put Arthur Harris into a looming chapter set, helpfully, at RAF Northolt. I haven’t entirely given up on this requests show, but perhaps will make it broader. What themes, given where this TL now sits, in early ’37, do you want to see? I have currently sketched out / half-written the following between now (Feb/Mar ’37) and early May:

India (2½ updates)

Palestine (½ an update)

British Economy (very broadly!) (1 update)

An Eden audience with the King (basically a wrap-up of events while we’ve focussed on the Abdication)(1 update)

Civil Service leadership (1 update)

Labour leadership (1 update)

Constitutional Reform (The “Establishment Bill” discussed in Chapter 83 above)(1 update – if it starts to look too dull I will cancel this)

Anglo-European diplomacy (1 update)

The Secret Intelligence Service (½ an update)

Winston Churchill (½ an update)

I have explicitly named three real world characters above, intriguingly out of Eden, Churchill and the King (KGVI) only Eden features more than once (and then only, I think, in three of the chapters above). In terms of fictional characters, Belsay is in Palestine, Butler is presumably making his way back from Spain and McKay is happily fighting in Spain. Belsay features twice, Butler once and McKay not at all. I had hopes of keeping Fenn, the journalist going, as I thought he might be useful in the Abdication and Chamberlain spying nonsense. Ultimately, I simply moved Butler home and used him instead. I also had high hopes for my Oxbridge grad turned spycatcher, Kathleen Milne, but I couldn’t see a role for her at this stage beyond a Miss Moneypenny type character. On that basis, I think that I’ll keep to the three fictional characters for now.

Is there anything else that you’d like to see? FWIW I’m wary of further Spanish adventuring, and of further spy adventures (half a chapter on SIS feels about right for this batch). Stuff that I probably need to consider includes (but is not limited to) the Dominions, Ireland, the British military, the Coronation (for which I struggle to find enthusiasm), whether or not I let Edward and Wallis feature again, Anglo-French relations, the US perspective (though this will have to be discussed at the turn of the year anyway), China / Japan. Please, no requests for the state of the Dutch bicycle industry or radial engines in fighters – for that level of encyclopaedic detail, @El Pip has the Great White Queen, the Grandmama of Europe, the Queen Victoria of AARs from which all other AARs, like European princelings (including, in an oblique fashion, after an arranged marriage with Crossfires, and then marrying the Princess Royal off to Against All Odds, and then half disowning its older sibling The King’s First Minister, this one), descend…

I also want to speed things up, a bit, hence 8 or so chapters (basically a weekly check-in) between now (late Feb) and early May.

And finally…

To reflect the fact that DLG is gone, and that Oliver Stanley and Kingsley Wood have risen to the fore, I have updated the title card. Enjoy!

ARP2.png

Oh, shut up Stanley!

Also shut up Stanley.

You may end up saying this quite a bit...

It wasn't actually as bad as it was. By 1937, he was fairly alright at speaking and by 1939, he had a mild stutter but was otherwise quite eloquent.

My instinct is that it was more a case of him coping better.

My dear sir, one is forgivable, but killing two monarchs in a row rather precludes any future garden party invitations…

It is rather inconvenient.

There aren't going to be any garden parties if half the properties belong to some other guy in America, and 80% of the staff are still gone. If we can kill monarchs who are old for the benefit of announcement prestige, we can kill an already abdicated drunkard to smooth out some property disputes.

Ah, well... Eddie lives on, a poor befuddled swamp monster trailing slime wherever he lurches. If he's lucky, he'll be an oblivious drunk for the rest of his life, and if he's neither smart nor lucky he'll try to make a comeback into the family, if not the throne. How spectacularly could that go wrong, after all?

I have yet to fully work out just where our ex-King goes, French Mediterranean coast, I think, for now. And probably Switzerland as a backup. The US must loom large in their plans, though.

I can't help thinking that Edward's only hope was to take a 'burn it all down' approach and give unsanctioned interviews to the newspapers and BBC, as often as he physically could. The moment he deferred to people telling him he couldn't, he was lost. He might still have had to go even after a one-man PR blitz, but I think his chances of winning through would have been decent. Everyone loves a lover... but doing something for himself seems to have been foreign to his nature, which knocks out his going into Parliament.

He wanted to do this, initially in both TLs. His first draft of the radio address was hysterically funny, and an initial draft had him make it.

The government does have the whip hand and Eden is willing and able to use it. Should he continue as he has begun, he may be a truly great PM. The terms are harsh but understandable (by everyone but David/Edward): banishment, poverty, social ostracization (does that mean sticking your head in the sand at parties? I've always wondered), ignominy and in general a long, long spell of sitting in the corner with a dunce cap while everyone else goes out to play.

Eden being who your character is, and George VI being who your character is, I suspect there will be a private meeting at some point, where-in the monarch politely but firmly lets the PM know that a certain deference has been lacking, and that royal agreement will not be taken as granted. It won't have the same savor if Halifax or the Queen Mother delivers it... I just really do think that George is going to take up the reins and check the horses at some point, and I look forward to it.

Some of the less-elderly Palace staff might be willing to return, and in a bad economy there should be little trouble finding qualified people for the other posts. It will take time and result in some, um, change in tone, but it will be done. The new people may be younger and more protective of the Palace and less agreeable toward the government than the old, so on the whole this could - could - be a benefit for the Palace.

I appreciated your including 'The Inevitable' Beaufort, if only because I've played a lot of Kingmaker and, it seems, sooner or later a Beaufort is inevitably going to take the throne.

A lot of truth in this, @Director - we have a new PM and a new King virtually at the same time, neither of whom has had much time to prepare. KGVI is safe, reliable to core, and it's true that a lot of the experienced hands (Lascelles is one that leaps out) might be tempted to return, on promotion of course, to the revitalised Monarchy. But all of this will take time...

Beaufort was one of three candidates, I ultimately went with him because I think he's fun!

Well I have through what I have missed in the last many months. What a morose morass of malignant morals.

As ever beautifully written (and wonderfully alliterative).

The entire doomed affair ended in the only way it could - badly for all concerned. Worse for some, of course, but not well for any. It is also a wonderful moment to look back at two men whose power has been cut off at similar moments: Chamberlain and the former King. Because there is a curious mirror-symmetry between them in some ways. Apart from anything else, one's departure is likely to be rather more final than the other, but in others way too in which there characters meshed or (more commonly) did not. I believe one of my last comments here was that old bit of Parliamentary wisdom about he who wieldeth the knife wears not the crown. Seems it was so for Chamberlain.

The other thing my catch-up over the course of one evening allowed me to "enjoy" was the degredation of Lloyd George. I really have no other word for it - the slow decline of the Welshman. To borrow a phrase from a favourite author of mine: he was like a chicken that has brought its own pot and vegetables to the cookfire. Churchill is more interesting here - I wouldn't put it past Winston to claim, later on, that the only reason he joined DLG was to abandon it in such a way as to guarantee Edward VIII had no choice but to abdicate.

And now the real work begins. It has been an amusing diversion, high drama and low skullduggery, but now the business of government must resume; and the world has not been idle. When we opened in 1936 things were a bit grim, but now the barometer is truly starting to drop. The ship of state is being followed by a gale into the channel and the wreckers of Cornwall are hopeful for the sea's bounty, and if perchance their tender administrations are avoided their is always the reefs of Eddystone awaiting the unwary (or improperly controlled) vessel.

Thank you. It's an appalling time to have to appear strong overseas, rebuild trust with the Dominions, deal with a burning India, and of course refresh domestic and royal machineries.

I didn't say they had to kill him...given the way he treated himself and his body however, a spot of unfortunate brain fever leading to irrevocable brain damage would surely not have been so remarkable. Keep him in a private villa somewhere in the Duchy of Cornwall, in a lovely coat that gave him hugs.

I'd honestly not put it past them for a Robert Maxwell type incident to occur...

Reactions:
Belatedly got around to reading the final update of part 2. Excellent stuff, Mr J. Everything wrapped up (so far as, at this intermediary stage, anything may be wrapped up) and a cautiously optimistic view towards the future. Still a lot of game left, but the plays available suddenly look a lot more appealing.

“But the Crown is not a legal instrument,” Lang said, “it is a divine measure, ordained by God.”

Monckton merely looked through his spectacles at Lang,
You get him, Moncky!

“Sunningdale,” Halifax muttered.
Hopefully more successful than the other Sunningdale agreement…

Most of them nodded happily, but Lang banged the table.
He’s a pantomime dame at this point. I laugh (and cry) at everything he does.

George Formby ambled up to the stage, his wide, toothy grin manically flashed to all who watched him. He cleared his throat, itself an act of apparent hilariousness to the sad fools paying to watch this dismal spectacle. He opened his mouth, gave his banjo an exploratory twang, and…

I suspect insukting the memory of George Formby may prove a bridge too far...

Er, no. I’m nearly ready to post our next update, but before I do, I wanted to offer something that I have struggled, at least initially, to feed into the plot (this is a narrative AAR, after all!), namely, a detailed rundown of the Eden Cabinet. I have been overt in Foreign Secretary and Chancellor of the Exchequer (given the scheming needed to get ‘em in place) and have hinted at others (Halifax at the India Office, for example).

What, not in a sour grapes newspaper article with the poor writer clearly having the editor behind him the entire time?

Ooo...now that is a great deal of power to give your whip.

Probably the only surprise is Margesson, this will be covered in a later chapter (I think!).

Yes...interesting.

I am aware that back in 2020 I offered a “requests show”, featuring anyone that the commentatAARs wanted to see. I think that @TheButterflyComposer summed this best…

If nothing else, I have the gift of summation.

British Economy (very broadly!) (1 update)

You coward!

Constitutional Reform (The “Establishment Bill” discussed in Chapter 83 above)(1 update – if it starts to look too dull I will cancel this)

One? I was expecting five, only one of which would involve the actual document itself.

You may end up saying this quite a bit...

With him as Chancellor, very possibly. Eden later on may make like a victorian and take the job for himself.

He wanted to do this, initially in both TLs. His first draft of the radio address was hysterically funny, and an initial draft had him make it.

Can always omake it, or have it be the April fools thing next year.

Hopefully more successful than the other Sunningdale agreement…

Just now realised we could have given him Summerisle, and Banished him to that charming little island.

“So that’s that, then,” Eden said, taking a tumbler of whisky from Stanley and smiling his thanks.”

“No, Anthony,” Stanley said sadly, “it’s just beginning.”
Quite. The end of the beginning? ;)
Support for him, now, is limited and probably more than a bit eccentric and while it would undoubtedly take place, it isn’t really a threat to anyone.
Yes, most of the loony right groups would probably not be as worried about doing away with a monarch as they would have been with ditching the monarchy itself. The king has abdicated, long live the king!
a major POD – one of the few things that everyone remembers about Edward VIII is that rather petulant speech
Good to have a well considered POD.
Edward proposed to talk about being ‘yanked from the throne’,
Good Lord above, he actually proposed to say that? Not only vulgar and self-indulgent, but it would have been rather an unwitting pun on himself: given Mrs Simpson’s nationality (and deepest apologies here to all our American friends), more unkind observers would have been tempted to argue he had ‘Yanked’ himself from it. Everyone would have been diminished.
And so we’re largely done, at least with the Wallis and Edward saga, the next Part of the AAR will cover the period between the more-or-less resolution of the Abdication Crisis and the outbreak of War.
Ah, what a relief, no we can simply look forward to … er, ah, … :(o_O <cracks a good bottle of single malt and sends for Edward’s Royal Pumper of the Stomach to be on standby>
Eddie lives on, a poor befuddled swamp monster trailing slime wherever he lurches.
What an apposite description.
If he's lucky, he'll be an oblivious drunk for the rest of his life, and if he's neither smart nor lucky he'll try to make a comeback into the family, if not the throne.
Alas, given he’s shown not the slightest to indicate he is or will be either smart or lucky, one can easily see that trail of slime leading right to Herr Hitler’s doorstep at some point between now and September 1939.
I've played a lot of Kingmaker and, it seems, sooner or later a Beaufort is inevitably going to take the throne.
I loved this reference, identify with it and truly had the same thought myself. That nice looking little shield counter, the ultimate last man standing.
Counsels of Despair? :eek: It seems the tone of the story will remain consistent!:D
“When I’m cleaning windows (winders)” came to mind immediately. Dismal and tawdry, though magnetically evocative of the time, too.
Be afraid. Be very afraid. I feel a House of Cards (the original, of course) moment approaching. I know, I may say that, but you couldn’t possibly comment …
Emerging through the pack in a time of crisis to be the last man standing choice (after having kneecapped the rest using his previous Whip and now Home Office skeleton cupboard knowledge and new powers)? Putting a bit of stick about?

Last edited:
ARP2.png

Chapter 84, Jerusalem, 28 February 1937

1659696184508.png

These new lads, Belsay conceded, weren’t all that bad. They were going about their business with a single-minded determination to be done with the nonsense so that the new cinema set up in the camp could be enjoyed with a pint of beer and a couple of cheap cigarettes.

“Right lads, let’s get moving,” the leader of this little foray, a Major with a moustache as clipped as his accent, said easily to his men. There was much to admire about these lads, the 2nd Battalion of the Gloucestershire Regiment. With the 1st Battalion far away in India or Burma (the Major couldn’t remember this) there was a makeshift feel to the 2nd Battalion’s emergency deployment to Palestine as part of Dill’s requested reinforcements. The frustrations of the Army’s system meant that as soon as a platoon was fully trained the best of the lads were shipped off to reinforce the 1st. It was a frustration of the system, no one’s fault, but based upon the flawed theory that the 2nd Battalion would be in Tewkesbury or Gloucester and not policing a riotous population. It was a madness that, Belsay knew, was excruciating for Dill. He wondered whether the decrease in tempo in Palestine, brought about by overwhelming British troop numbers, would exacerbate or relieve this problem.

They were in Isawiya, an Arab neighbourhood, setting up roadblocks and checkpoints as a ‘final layer’ in what was shaping up to be a ripping little raid. As the ‘Glosters’ went about their business, Belsay was joined by a short, bald, unimpressive man, who was dressed in a workmanlike summer suit and suitably colonial slouch hat.

“You must be Dill’s man,” the short man said rather sternly.

“Belsay, staff,” Belsay said, matching the other man’s businesslike curtness.

“Uh huh. Gilbert MacKereth, British Consul in Damascus.” Belsay stiffened slightly. MacKereth outranked him, significantly. “Are the Glosters in place?”

“They are, Sir,” Belsay said with an attempt at formality, earning a slight smile from MacKereth. “And they appear to be doing a good job.”

“Good, because this raid has cost me a lot of money. Expensive things, informants. Do you think the checkpoints will be effective?”

“I do, actually,” Belsay said. “In my six months here they’re one of the most professional battalions that I have seen in action.”

“Alright then,” MacKereth said, stopping from saying more as a group of Arabs, policemen as well as the Glosters Major, arrived. “Gents, your target is the third window from the right, the building directly behind me, on the opposite side of the street,” he was clearly working hard to not point at a building over the road, “where two suspects are believed to be stashing weapons. My objective is gain entry to the building, get the suspects and anything they’re hoarding. The Glosters will sweep up anything we miss. Got it?”

Belsay’s job was to report on proceedings, forwarding anything of note to Dill, represent Dill’s perspective to MacKereth if things got sticky, and, unofficially, defend the Glosters if things went really bad. He had been content to ‘hang back’ as, on a side street, MacKereth continued his briefing and organised the police’s dispositions. Seemingly the actual ‘break in’ was to be done by Arabs. Belsay was supposed to wait with the Glosters’ Major at the grandly named ‘command point’. But instinct took him closer, with the policemen.

The Arabs went in, unsubtly gaining access and running upstairs. At this the policemen, Belsay and MacKereth (who wasn’t bothered in the slightest by a DLI Major pitching in) followed. As the Britons reached the ground floor Belsay saw that the building had once been beautiful, but like much of Palestine was trading upon its former glory, as its charms faded. There was a gunshot, some shouting in Arabic.

“Better go in prepared, I think,” MacKereth, who was proving to be a most unorthodox Consul, said as he drew his pistol, Belsay doing likewise. "Let’s go, then." MacKereth leading, Belsay followed him up to the first floor. Inside it was like a quartermaster’s nightmare. Random weaponry, boxes of what was labelled, in French, as ammunition, and piles of banknotes (Belsay could not see the denomination). Some rattled conversation in Arabic seemed to satisfy MacKereth.

“Tell General Dill we killed the accomplice,” he pointed to where corpse lay prone on the tiled floor, “captured the ringleader, and that if the Glosters do their job we’ll have one of the mufti’s men in the bag as well. He got out, Major, this way.” MacKereth pointed to the back of the building, where a smashed window led onto the soft landing of piles of canvas bags.

A commotion, on the street below, suggested that the Glosters had found their man. As if on cue a Glosters Lieutenant burst in, and looked, horrified, at the corpse.

“Focus man!” Belsay, the senior military man, snapped. “Your report, Lieutenant,” he said formally.

“Sir!” The Glosters Lieutenant panted. “We’ve captured a man, Sir, with a handgun. Covered in dust and glass. The Major has held him for your questioning.”

“Three of three, then. Interesting, as we only anticipated two. You’ll present this to Dill?”

“I will Sir.”

1659696272805.png

“Tell him that we’ve apprehended Khalil Eissa based on the intelligence gained from our raid in Damascus on Nebih al-Asmah. Tell him that I will use this against Mardam in Damascus to actually do something against what I perceive is a common threat. The armoured car patrols along the frontier have been invaluable in gatherin' intelligence, so ask Dill to keep it up.”

Belsay, like any half-decent staff officer, was jotting all of this down in his notebook. “What next, you mentioned Damascus.”

“Well, the French incompetence in letting their weapons get to the rebels here in Palestine is something we can use against them.”

“Unless,” Belsay said, feeling that had to address this point, “we think that the French wanted this.”

“That, Major, is not an unfair observation. Please present my findings to the General. Oh, and Major?”

“Sir?”

“I rather think that you enjoyed that, pistol in hand etcetera.”

“I rather think I did.”

“Food for thought, perhaps?”

====
Belsay arrived in time to quickly change into service dress (his smarter uniform) with Sam Browne and peaked cap rather than the battered khaki fatigues and solar topees that everyone seemed to wear out in Palestine. Checking that all was well with the ADC and the myriad of staff officers, he jotted a his note to Dill to say that the mission was accomplished before joining the rest of the headquarters staff in hosting their guests.

They didn’t have to wait long. At the head of a knot of chatty, clearly excited young officers a frankly huge man appeared. Belsay, from the briefing notes supplied by London, knew that this was General Ironside, newly appointed as CINC India with a brief from Whitehall to ‘clean out the stables’. His officers, basking in association with someone so clearly in the ascendant, had an air of expectation, as if it was Palestine Command’s job to furnish them with everything they needed. Dill saluted Ironside and lead him to a pleasant terrace at the headquarters.

1659696352096.png

“Hullo, what’s that. Nice kitty,” Ironside remarked with levity to a truly mangy cat that lurked outside of Dill’s HQ. “Reminds me of some my gunners in South Africa!” There was polite chatting at all of this as Ironside took lemonade on the terrace of the Officers’ Mess. Ironside mingled easily with Dill’s officers, updating them, as much as he could, on the initial actions of the new government as he smoked on his pipe, and deftly deflecting any questions about what awaited him in India.

Colonel Rose, Dill’s Chief of Staff, sidled up to Ironside. Dill saw this and took this as his ‘cue’ to join them. “We’re ready Sirs,” Rose said simply.

They were led into the dining room of the Mess, which had been carefully rearranged to serve for this ‘orders group’. Most of those sat around the table were senior military types, largely Lieutenant Colonels commanding battalions, with a smattering of RAF station COs and colonial civil servants. The sound of fifty or so chairs sliding back across the wooden floor screeched through the dining room as Ironside, flanked by Dill and a man in a suit that was far too thick for Jerusalem, strode confidently to the centre of the room.

“Gentlemen,” Dill, as host, announced, “may I introduce General Ironside, the new Commander in Chief India, and also Baron Strathcona, the Secretary of State for War. My Lord, would you like to say anything?”

1659696395203.png

Strathcona twisted in his seat. “Gentlemen, the Prime Minister sends his greetings, he is with us in spirit as we carry out this mission.”

“We’re very pleased,” Ironside growled, sounding anything but, “to have our Cabinet Minister here today.” He looked at Dill. “Shall we introduce our other guests?”

“Yes, very well then,” Dill snapped tersely. Belsay, sat in a corner with the other personal staff officers, thought that his boss looked very out of sorts. “May I introduce Mr Butler, one of the junior ministers from the India Office,” a rather corpulent, shabbily dressed Tory MP and Halifax’s deputy half rose from his seat, “Sir Percy Grigg, our representative from Delhi, Mr Stevenson of the Foreign Office and finally Group Captain Winterbotham who is attached to the Joint Intelligence Committee.” The three men half rose in unison.

“Gentlemen,” Ironside began, “this operation will be the largest overseas deployment of British soldiers since the War.” He paused, looking as many of the regimental officers, the ‘doers’ of this mission, in the eye as he possibly could. “It is an out of area deployment to familiar but potentially unfriendly territory with no guarantee of local support and supply.” Grigg, not far away, squirmed unhappily. “Many of you, many of your men, will have fond memories of India. From my early days out there with my battery to my role Quartermaster-General India only last year, it is a country and a life I have greatly enjoyed. You must, as I must, purge those thoughts and focus upon the task to hand. Intelligence, what is actually going on over there?”

A harassed looking full Colonel with greasy, streaked black hair slicked back on his head and protuberant, yellow front teeth walked over to a map.

1659696430607.png

“Kitchen Sir, late Engineers. Sirs, the situation on the ground is a bit confused,” Kitchen said, with a slightly glib air that immediately irritated Belsay. “There are actually two forms of resistance that you’ll be facing. The combined results of this is that Gujurat, Kashmir and Punjab appear to be the worst hit. The first type of dissent is organised political activity stirred up from the Indian National Congress, which is mobile, fleeting and difficult to pin down. And then we’re seeing something much more localised, persistent and seemingly based more around ethnic or religious allegiance than an independence movement.”

“Numbers?” That was Dill, who was sitting stone-faced as he received Kitchen’s briefing.

“Impossible to say,” Kitchen snapped, before beginning to do just that, “the INC seem to have around two thousand travelling supporters who descend upon a town or district and whip up the crowds. The crowds, such as those faced last month by the Ulsters, are tens of thousands strong.”

“And the second group, Colonel?” That was Strathcona.

“Depends on where you are, really,” Kitchen said, wrinkling his nose. “Our view is lots of ‘em, but hundreds rather than thousands.”

Ironside was merely sat, watching, while his aides scribbled notes behind him. “And are we quite sure that this isn’t some bloody foreign plot?”

“There’s nothing,” Winterbotham began in his precise voice, “to support that idea, General. Our agents would have picked something up, but all of our indicators from the likely candidates are that this is an organic insurrection.” Next to Winterbotham, Stevenson of the Foreign Office nodded vigorously.

Kitchen waited impatiently to continue his briefing. “The INC protests are not armed. They’re making a point of lawful protest and peaceful disruption. I’m told that when an INC protest comes into town it’s like cup final day. Descend upon the train station, march through the city, gather support.” Belsay thought that he heard Dill groan. “The challenge is the local protests, which have become a conduit for all sorts of local issues to flare up. These are the ones, especially when they coincide with the INC demonstrations, that have turned violent.”

“Precisely,” Dill muttered to Ironside, “what happened the to the Ulsters.”

Grigg, who was more or less running the civilian government in India for the new Viceroy, nodded. “The challenge, and why we need such a massive military deployment, is that the civilian authority is now overstretched.”

“Is this, then,” Colonel Rose of Dill’s staff spoke up, “essentially a sort of ‘aid to the civil authority’?”

“In essence, Colonel,” Butler answered, “yes. That is certainly Lord Halifax’s view.”

“And the Viceroy’s,” Grigg added.

“So then,” Ironside asked, “why are we not talking about martial law or a state of emergency?”

“Why?” That was Butler.

“Because, Minister, if I’m taking half the British Army in there, I want the ability to declare a curfew and a ban on demonstrations!”

Grigg shifted unhappily in his seat. “This is our territory, General Ironside, you’re there to support the Viceroy, not conduct an invasion,” he snapped tersely. “And this is not a countrywide rebellion, it’s not the Great Mutiny!”

Dill looked at Ironside, noticing the eagerness on his’s face to get on with the mission. “I wonder, Mr Grigg,” he said soothingly in an attempt to be supportive, “this task would be easier if we know both the dispositions of the Indian Army and whether or not they are loyal.”

“Aye, good point Dill,” Ironside huffed.

Grigg was calmer now. “A good point, General Dill,” he conceded. “Ah, the senior man from India is Colo- er, Brigadier O’Connor. Er, Brigadier?”

A small, compact man practically bounced to the stage. In a precise voice with the hint of a lisp, he was clearly very prepared. “O’Connor, Commander of the Peshawar Brigade. Thank you for the invitation,” he said graciously. “I’ll focus on those troops deployed in the areas of insurrection. Northern Command, Peshawar District. Divided into Chitral Force, Landi Kotal Brigade, Peshawar Brigade. Starting with Chitral Force, it’s comprised of the First Battalion of the Ninth Jat Regiment. Landi Kotal Brigade, First Battalion The South Wales Borderers, First Battalion the First Punjab Regiment, Third Battalion the Ninth Jat Regiment, Fourth Battalion the Eleventh Sikh Regiment, Fourth Battalion the Fifteenth Punjab Regiment, and the Second Battalion Fifth Royal Gurkha Rifles.” O’Connor looked up from his order of battle. “The Gurkhas Sir, are our Frontier Force.”

“Loyalty? One British regiment amongst all those Indians.” That was Butler, the junior minister for India.

“The Gurkhas, Sihks and Punjabis are loyal and well-drilled. The Jats are an unknown quantity.”

“Christ,” muttered Ironside. “Thank you. Continue.”

“Sir. In my command, at Peshawar, I have the First Battalion of the The King’s Regiment, the Sixteenth Light Cavalry, the Third Battalion Sixth Rajputana Rifles, Fourth Battalion of the Eighth Punjab Regiment, the Fourth Battalion Fourteenth Punjab Regiment, the Second (Berar) Battalion, Nineteenth Hyderabad Regiment, the Twnety Fourth Indian Mountain Regiment and three additional batteries of Indian artillery, as well as a company of the Bengal Sappers and Miners.”

“Same question, Brigadier.”

O’Connor didn’t ‘bat an eyelid’. “The Hyderabad Regiment is the least disciplined of my command. I have therefore broken them into detachments serving alongside the King’s Regiment and the Sixteenth Light Cavalry. The Rajputana Rifles and Punjabis are loyal.”

“What about the artillerymen?” Ironside was himself a gunner.

“Given the situation they are currently supporting infantrymen on constabulary duties. This keeps them away from their own guns.”

“Good lad,” Ironside said with relief.

O’Connor continued to list the troop dispositions in Northern and North Western India. The theme was the same: British troops outnumbered usually least five to one (or, in the case of Waziristan, twelve to one) and absolute faith in the Gurkha regiments, with a sliding scale of reliability as the more irregular forces started to be listed.

“My final point, Sir, is that we lack mobility. Most of our battalions are currently holding down urban centres or transport hubs. We lack the ability to maintain law and order in remote locations.”

“I’d echo that observation from here in Palestine,” Dill said wearily. “The cavalry and armoured cars were vital to supporting a policing function.”

Ironside raised a hand and rose to his feet. “Alright then. This is our first task: reinforce Northern Command and isolate and disarm any Indian Regiments whose loyalty is suspect. There’s not that many, from what the Brigadier has told us,” he nodded his thanks to O’Connor, who took his seat. “When we’re happy that we’re able to face only an enemy in front of us, then we fan out from the centres we already hold. General Dill, I understand that I’ll be taking a lot of cavalry with me?”

Dill rose. “Yes General Ironside. At the start of our reinforcement of Palestine we took the Cavalry Force in Egypt and equipped them with armoured cars.

1659696825352.png

“They’re now a very mobile cavalry brigade. We propose, in drawing down from Palestine and equipping your army, to offer you two full cavalry brigades with armoured cars, 5th and 6th, as well as an armoured brigade.”

1659696858586.png

“Thank you,” Ironside said quite humbly. “The two infantry divisions will be the core of this force, and that is how we reinforce the isolated British battalions already out there. We’ll keep the British cavalry and tanks, as well as whatever loyal Indian cavalry we have, as a mobile reserve. But, gentlemen. How do we brigade and division the troops already there?”

Grigg frowned. “I don’t follow?”

Ironside huffed. “I’m keeping my command structures as they are. But we have random British and Indian troops all over the place. We’ll need to support my lads by regrouping them.”

Strathcona coughed. “We know, General,” he said quite simply. “That is why we will reorganise the Indian troops, as well as the British troops already out there, and perhaps with other Commonwealth forces, into new Commonwealth Divisions.”

“That, though, will take time,” Grigg said pointedly.

====
It was hours later, when the politicians had been driven to the airfield for either London or Delhi and Ironside and his staff had gone out for a headquarters dinner, that Dill gathered his own senior team around him.

“Thank you for your support today,” he said wearily, “on both scores a success. What are your initial thoughts?”

The ADC suddenly chuckled. “That ‘Boy’ Browning didn’t go full tilt at the briefing, thank God!”

They all laughed. Lieutenant Colonel Browning was the CO of the 2nd Battalion of the Grenadier Guards. He was a nervy, highly strung man who partnered that tenseness with extraordinary ambition.

Dill frowned. “He’s desperate to take part in the India deployment,” he said unwinding a little (a rare occurrence for the careful, precise GOC).

“Why?” That was Colonel Rose, Dill’s Chief of Staff.

“Pride,” Belsay said, without thinking. “He wants the Grenadiers to be at the biggest party in town.”

Dill frowned but nodded after a couple of seconds. “Hugh, anything to add from the raid?”

“It’s all in my report, Sir, the Glosters did well.”

“Are they part of the…” that was the ADC.

“…no,” Dill snapped, “they’re too weak in numbers. They’ll stay here and send out the odd reinforcement to their first battalion in India.”

“Do we think that the French got the point?”

“I do, Sir,” Belsay said hesitantly. “I trust Mr MacKereth. They know we’re focussing on India but they have their own problems brewing in Syria and Lebanon.”

“They also,” Dill added, “won’t rock the boat now that we’ve had a change of government. They have high hopes for Mr Eden, I hear.” Dill looked pointedly at Rose, who nodded.

“And I suppose that I should tell you that I’m off,” he said brightly. “General Ironside wants help getting to know his new command so we’ve agreed,” he nodded at Dill, “that I shall go along with him as they organise their force.”

“And on promotion,” Dill said in gentle reminder.

“Indeed Sir,” Rose agreed. Dill’s personal team rose to congratulate Brigadier Rose. Mukungurutse, Dill’s driver (or storesman, spy, fixer and all round black market whizz) started to offer champagne.

“Hugh,” Dill said, beckoning Belsay to one side. “You know that I had a letter from the CO of 1st Battalion DLI?”

“I did, Sir, the ADC mentioned it.”

“Good. He’s asked for you, offering you a company. It would mean delaying staff course, alas, but you’re coming to the end of your time with me in any event.”

“I mean to accept,” Belsay said immediately, knowing that this was a great opportunity and would get him to the centre of the British Army’s focus. He had enjoyed his time with Dill, extending his tenure to go out with the General from Whitehall to Jerusalem, but he was ready to move on and he was doing well to get a company at his age.

“I think you should,” Dill agreed. “I do believe that the staff is vital, and overlooked, but all we’ll be doing here is maintaining our presence and completing the pacification. India will be good for you,” he said firmly. “I have written to Colonel Percival, who I’m hoping to snatch from Dobbie in Malaya to backfill Colonel, sorry, Brigadier Rose’s position, I’ve asked if has a good Major to become my Military Assistant. But if you have any ideas I will of course hear them.”

Belsay was annoyed that Dill had automatically assumed he would accept a company in 1 DLI but put a brave face on it. “One thing, Sir?”

“Of course, Hugh.”

“Can I take ‘Des’?” Des was Mukungurutse, still, allegedly, of the King’s Africa Rifles but now firmly sequestered within Dill’s HQ.

Dill laughed, breaking the tension. “Certainly not, how he gets the best coffee in Jerusalem is beyond me!”

“A secret that, apparently, he will take to his grave, Sir.”

====
I deliberately open Part 3 with an overseas update, in this case one of the most significant departures from OTL and a lasting effect of the DLG Government. Actually two effects, as we wrap up the Palestine arc and give renewed focus to the Indian one.

We started with Palestine and so will the notes, as we pick up on Belsay and Dill who are enjoying a much stronger order of battle than what they had OTL. In an AAR with some cartoon villains I wanted to show that the DLG team got some things right, and Palestine is one of them; not just massive troop deployments, but also the willingness to call out French duplicity (which really happened OTL). I’ve given the British a rare advantage, bringing forward the raids carried out (using the mass afforded by the DLG led surge) by Gilbert MacKereth (who is both real and awesome) and gleaning intelligence while disrupting the supply of munitions. The raid itself is based on an OTL raid by MacKereth’s men (he did use local thugs where he could) in Nabulus, the characters seized in the raid were real, and were finally dealt with in OTL’s 1938. The debate about French involvement / negligence / duplicity certainly exorcised minds in Jerusalem and London OTL. FWIW I allow a small amount of sympathy with the French, they were furious at the British ‘blind eye’ towards Palestinian support for their troubles in Syria and Lebanon in the 20s and can be permitted a degree of schadenfreude when the British asked for help when the situations were reversed. I think, in this OTL, that Eden’s arrival, coupled with Dill spreading thousands of troops all over Palestine like a mad woman’s sh**e, affords an opportunity for a reset; the Mufti is a threat to both sides and the French, now curiously looking to London and the new PM, might be minded to join forces.

And now India (DEEP SIGH)…

In the game you may recall that the stupid, useless, abhorrent [SWEAR WORD] focus trees result in an event called ‘Dominions break with the Crown’. Apparently India (which, I still think, should not exist at the outset as a distinct political entity) is a Dominion; so along with South Africa, NZ, Canada and Australia a lovely independent India magically arises. This, dear readAAR, is utter bilge and is a very good reason why @El Pip and @TheButterflyComposer should be commissioned to set out how HOI games depict the British Empire and Commonwealth. Ahem. The easiest (for me) way to deal with the chaos that the game had foisted upon me was to use the diplo annex cheat and bring India firmly under British control. An unintended side-effect was that ‘resistance’ (which in this instance is more properly called ‘dissent’) rocketed. To marry my story vaguely to the game, you may recall that I had the Viceroy resign in disgust, the India Act of 1935 suspended (and OTL elections were due about now, Feb 1937) with increased Whitehall control as a result. From that, we have this current period of dissent. I think that something like this would have happened, although I have perhaps ‘dialled up’ the level of hostility to suit what the game has given me. Certainly I think that in this TL the British (and the INC) will have a difficulty in separating peaceful annoyance with outright criminal behaviour.

Another element of this tying together game madness with what I think would happen is the Indian Army. There is, of course, no such thing; it was in reality a myriad of British battalions brigaded with local forces (the orders of battle read out by O’Connor were from the period, and there was really only one British battalion, the Leicestershires, among a dozen Indian ones in Waziristan), some regiments organised along reasonably European lines, as well as troops from Princely States and British clients (the Gurkhas being the obvious ones). It also had a pretty poor reputation by OTL’s 1939, probably due to some hastily recruited troops (particularly brand new or Princely troops) being thrown into battle before they were really ready. Churchill and Alanbrooke both had a highly critical view of its leadership and I have, perhaps, been slightly unfair in portraying it as a potential source of unrest (although there were tensions throughout the period). Indian mutiny (or the British believing that it is a possibility) also explains another game-generated problem, which was the disappearance of the Raj’s army when I diplo-annexed it. I have suggested, here, that the British will reorganise it into new “Commonwealth” Divisions. We’ll look at how these are structured in later updates (it would take months to achieve this, years ideally) but it is a weird mix of ‘what I think London would have to do’ and ‘contrivance foisted upon me by HOI4’.

You will, I’m sure, have noticed the chatter in this update about the 1st and 2nd battalions. Does this matter? Sort of… (sighs)

The order of battle read out by O’Connor listed a handful of British formations, and all of these were 1st battalions. If that is the case, then what are the 2nd battalions of the same regiment actually for? In theory, in the interwar years the 1st battalion was out ‘on station’ (which could be anywhere, while a lot went to India there were also garrisons in Malta, Palestine, Africa, the Far East) while the 2nd was in the UK recruiting and sending troops out to the 1st, a sort of reinforcement system. This didn’t always work, and David Niven was rather scathing of this in his autobiography, part of which details his life as a junior officer in the Highland Light Infantry (2nd battalion!) in Malta. The problem was that the 2nd battalions were often needed for service, and rapidly. The DLI, one of my regiments of choice, also suffered with both battalions seeing overseas service during the interwar years. Essentially, the point is that the British did the best that they could with the troops that they had, and in many cases the 2nd battalions were not in some sleepy garrison town in the UK but were off holding down the Empire. Much of Dill’s remaining force in Palestine will be made up of troops like the newly arrived 2nd Battalion of the Gloucestershire Regiment, as Ironside takes the 1st and 2nd Divisions (largely made up of the 1st battalions) to India.

A point on British divisions, these are all regular troops as no territorial (the reservists) regiments have been mobilised or activated. In game terms what were the ‘regular’ infantry divisions are all (bar one) off overseas now, while the territorial divisions are in the UK. A house rule that I have is that I will not throw what I know to be a non-regular formation out of the UK on operations unless war has been declared. HOI3 did this far better than HOI4, which doesn’t really have a mobilisation concept beyond factories and giving the nation more disposable manpower. The infantry divisions at the start of the game are all, as HOI4 depicts them, interchangeable regular formations. As a Scotsman might say, ‘pish’.

Of the personalities in this chapter MacKereth, Ironside, Dill, O’Connor are real (and in Dill and O’Connor’s case doing their OTL jobs), as are Stevenson (FO) and Winterton (from SIS) who have featured, largely as background characters, before. Strathcona, an average politician, has benefitted from the need to replenish Tory ranks by rising from a lowly junior minister to Secretary of State (he was more unremarkable than incapable) and Sir Percy Grigg, who would OTL later serve in the Government, features here as a key member of the makeshift leadership of India. And then we have another Butler, but not the fictional spy, but the sadly very real RA ‘RAB’ Butler. In KFM he was of course, one of the ‘baddies’ in an AAR that (not unlike this one) had its share of scandal and intrigue, I accept that he could be competent but he was, by nature, a schemer. I actually think he will do well in the India Office as Halifax’s deputy (sort of mirroring their relationship in the OTL Foreign Office) as his cerebral nature and slightly sly ways might be an asset to the Raj.

The rest are fictional: Belsay is a key character, Rose we’ve also met, and Kitchen is based on a particularly unpleasant lawyer I once observed in Court during my training. This will be the last update on Palestine, which is more or less stabilising, for a while...

Belatedly got around to reading the final update of part 2. Excellent stuff, Mr J. Everything wrapped up (so far as, at this intermediary stage, anything may be wrapped up) and a cautiously optimistic view towards the future. Still a lot of game left, but the plays available suddenly look a lot more appealing.

Thank you! There will be misfires, India, certainly, will rise heavily to prominence (and more than it did OTL) as we go through 1937, but at least we're free of Edward VIII.
He’s a pantomime dame at this point. I laugh (and cry) at everything he does.

But that's rather the point - he really was as fussy and irritating as I have portrayed.

I suspect insukting the memory of George Formby may prove a bridge too far...

The man's an ass.

Ooo...now that is a great deal of power to give your whip.

It is, but I think it's the price of his support. I opted for the Home Office as the Foreign Office, or the Treasury, are more 'Edenish' than Home Affairs.

One? I was expecting five, only one of which would involve the actual document itself.

How very dare you! Actually, fair point.

Good Lord above, he actually proposed to say that? Not only vulgar and self-indulgent, but it would have been rather an unwitting pun on himself: given Mrs Simpson’s nationality (and deepest apologies here to all our American friends), more unkind observers would have been tempted to argue he had ‘Yanked’ himself from it. Everyone would have been diminished.
He did, in one of several increasingly mad drafts.
Counsels of Despair? :eek: It seems the tone of the story will remain consistent!:D

I went for something less prosaic than my other choices of "A Crowned Republic?" or "Mr Eden's vision for Europe".

“When I’m cleaning windows (winders)” came to mind immediately. Dismal and tawdry, though magnetically evocative of the time, too.

Thanks! That's why I picked 'em. All very 'end of pier', but redolent of the times!

Be afraid. Be very afraid. I feel a House of Cards (the original, of course) moment approaching. I know, I may say that, but you couldn’t possibly comment …

Emerging through the pack in a time of crisis to be the last man standing choice (after having kneecapped the rest using his previous Whip and now Home Office skeleton cupboard knowledge and new powers)? Putting a bit of stick about?

That was a major inspiration for sending him there instead, of, for example, the Admiralty or India. He is loyal to Eden, but I think would have been genuinely keen to escape the Whips' Office after yet another big Conservative Party crisis (so soon after the arguments over the India Act 1935).

• 4Like
Reactions:
The pace continues to be unseemly as I appear to have missed many updates despite taking but a short break.

The politicking and end to Part Two were well done, a great deal of events compressed into a readable amount of words. Slightly concerned for Eden that he could say "that's that" about the affair when there was so much more to do. He has a major constitutional reform to get through with a small majority and an opposition that will either oppose the act (the DLG rump) or try to use it as an excuse to abolish the monarchy (Labour). I also dread to think what the Lords will say about all this, quite how you apply the Salisbury convention to all this I'm not sure but then again will the Lords at this point are still proper Establishment (as opposed to the current 'failed politician' incarnation) so are probably on board with giving Eddie a kicking, perhaps it will be smoother than I think.

Moving on I see some fun figures in the cabinet, Margesson has already been commented on but Kingsley Wood in the Foreign Office really could go either way. I can see him giving the department the thorough kicking and modernisation it desperately needs, but on the policy side I'm not sure. But then with Eden in the top job perhaps that matters less and K-W seemed happy to be in the back seat even when in a Great Office of State (wasn't even allowed in the War Cabinet for two years in OTL despite being Chancellor).

For the rest I see the decidedly shifty Dugdale has made an appearance in cabinet and I am now aware of Walter Womersley and his meteoric rise through life. From 10yr old mill worker to government minister and then onto a baronetcy. I wish him well just for how hard he must have had to fight to get that far.

I also want to speed things up, a bit, hence 8 or so chapters (basically a weekly check-in) between now (late Feb) and early May.
Such. Terrifying. Pace.
From that, we have this current period of dissent. I think that something like this would have happened, although I have perhaps ‘dialled up’ the level of hostility to suit what the game has given me. Certainly I think that in this TL the British (and the INC) will have a difficulty in separating peaceful annoyance with outright criminal behaviour.
With the screenshot you showed I was expecting a slightly more dramatic Waziristan Campaign where the rebels took advantage of British distraction to be a bit more effective. But I suppose the INC taking advantage and rabble rousing is more likely, and as you say that can easily shade into bits of general opportunistic naughtiness.

Is there anything else that you’d like to see? FWIW I’m wary of further Spanish adventuring, and of further spy adventures (half a chapter on SIS feels about right for this batch). Stuff that I probably need to consider includes (but is not limited to) the Dominions, Ireland, the British military, the Coronation (for which I struggle to find enthusiasm), whether or not I let Edward and Wallis feature again, Anglo-French relations, the US perspective (though this will have to be discussed at the turn of the year anyway), China / Japan.
Warships and whatever the hell Winston did to the Fleet Building plans before his abrupt departure, though I'm sure such a vital matter will not be forgotten.

Can I also suggest the impact of all this Imperial Policing on the RAF. For the Army this is the sort of thing that they are expecting, pinging around the Empire putting down revolts and supporting the civil powers so probably no change from OTL (the idea of sending another BEF to the continent being anathema to most politicians till 1938 at the earliest). But the RAF loves it's heavy bombers and they are probably sod all use at this point. What they need is a modernised Hawker Hart, something cheap to run and happy on dusty bases that can support ground troops and do the Imperial Air Police role. Possibly even the mooted, but OTL cancelled, Support Bomber concept - a big bomber that could carry a fully equipped platoon of infantry and land on a short, tree surrounded rough landing strip. Then load up on bombs and take off to support the platoon it had just delivered. Right now something like that might be looking more attractive than OTL, certainly there will be at least some talk about if the OTL expansion Schemes are still correct.

Please, no requests for the state of the Dutch bicycle industry or radial engines in fighters – for that level of encyclopaedic detail, @El Pip has the Great White Queen, the Grandmama of Europe, the Queen Victoria of AARs from which all other AARs, like European princelings (including, in an oblique fashion, after an arranged marriage with Crossfires, and then marrying the Princess Royal off to Against All Odds, and then half disowning its older sibling The King’s First Minister, this one), descend…
That is a wonderful description and I thank you for it.

To show willing the state of the Dutch bicycling industry at this point in history is not good. After a few good years it is just about to be revealed that the much vaunted "domestic" Dutch bicycle manufacturing industry depends almost entirely on imported parts, mostly from Germany and the UK. So when German re-armament means those firms start making military kit the Dutch bike industry goes into a nose dive. While there is an update you could scrape together on that about the limits of cartels and quotas, the inter-connected nature of international supply chains and so on, I doubt those subjects will be of much relevance to this work. ;)

“Hullo, what’s that. Nice kitty,”

Character established.

In the game you may recall that the stupid, useless, abhorrent [SWEAR WORD] focus trees result in an event called ‘Dominions break with the Crown’.

Ah yes...a, shall we say, extraordinary way of looking at the facts.

Apparently India (which, I still think, should not exist at the outset as a distinct political entity) is a Dominion;

It is known.

This, dear readAAR, is utter bilge and is a very good reason why @El Pip and @TheButterflyComposer should be commissioned to set out how HOI games depict the British Empire and Commonwealth.

Is this before or after we do a deep dive into the crazy world of French economics and the Gold Standard?

I should mention at this point that Imperial Cheese does go into India being...weird, and does so completely in line with the game as writ. That is, that if the Imperial Federation were to occur (Churchill having worked his magic as he was wont to do in that AAR), India can not only say no, but declare independence taking the entire Raj, army, airforce and navy with them, AND the viceroy, whom I remind everyone is Lord Mountbatten).

India is batshit in HOI4.

However, the rest of the British Empire is...fascinating. The Dominions are dominions, which grants you very, very little say in anything other than having non aggression pacts and almost certainly going to war whenever any of them or you do.
The colonies are...handled very oddly. Africa is entirely UK operated, as are the middle Eastern bits and various small islands (and newfoundland, which is true to life).

However, the oddest things are included in devolved regions. British Malaysia holds Singapore, not you. And I can't recall who actually owns Hong Kong.

But considering since launch the game has added a perfectly serviceable dissent mechanic, which is used for every other empire in the game this seems like a strange case of...idk what with the British Empire. See below.

The easiest (for me) way to deal with the chaos that the game had foisted upon me was to use the diplo annex cheat and bring India firmly under British control. An unintended side-effect was that ‘resistance’ (which in this instance is more properly called ‘dissent’) rocketed.

EXACTLY! The mechanic for simulating Indian issues exists in game, why not use it? I get maybe having the princely states as a puppet or whatever but most of the Raj was British controlled, not left to the whim of the viceroy government.

This should also certainly be true in the Paciifc and Asia in general.

To marry my story vaguely to the game, you may recall that I had the Viceroy resign in disgust,

Oh trust me, if India does manage to go indepednant you're going to have to write round it or come up with a reason why Mountbatten became the hereditary Viceroy of India (or Emperor or whatever).

How very dare you! Actually, fair point

Oh it was more encouragement to do that, and a recognition that the issues surrounding the topic will have little to do with writing the thing itself (the lawyers will do it, albeit with arguments, in one chapter). Actually planning it, deciding to actually do it, get the votes to push it through parliament and then sell it being pushed would take a lot more time and effort.

Reactions:
Theory meets practical reality when it comes to the Army's internal organisation. For at least the 2164th time. Not a bad achievement getting on top of Palestian troubles. Well, as on-top of Palestinian troubles as anyone ever is, anyway.

I do wonder if Churchill will somehow impact on India, just on general principles. All in all I think India is going to be an interesting trial for the new government. And quite possibly for the troops send to clear up the politicians messes.

EXACTLY! The mechanic for simulating Indian issues exists in game, why not use it? I get maybe having the princely states as a puppet or whatever but most of the Raj was British controlled, not left to the whim of the viceroy government.

Super-boring answer: the whole Commonwealth setup is from the first major piece of DLC. All the advanced mechanics are from subsequent. I don't hold much hope though of Paradox taking a gander at TfV again anytime soon however.

I mean, eventually it's going to give the game UK an ocean of troops, resources and factories, and make a war with Japan pathetically easy so...going to be interesting to see how that's interpreted.

Maybe the UK ignores Europe, gambling that the nazis will collapse on their own and focuses on the empire and the far east?

Then when the nazis invade the soviet Union, stab them in the back and get all of europe back.

Belsay was annoyed that Dill had automatically assumed he would accept a company in 1 DLI but put a brave face on it. “One thing, Sir?”
Given the rank relationship and the MA to general dynamic, Belsay should have expected Dill to do it anyway. While also expecting it would be something to the benefit of his career and in the nature of an offer he don’t refuse even if given the “choice”. Though at least being asked would be nice too!
In the game you may recall that the stupid, useless, abhorrent [SWEAR WORD] focus trees result in an event called ‘Dominions break with the Crown’.
Out with it man, tell us what you really think! :p
a lovely independent India magically arises. This, dear readAAR, is utter bilge
Quite.
I think would have been genuinely keen to escape the Whips' Office after yet another big Conservative Party crisis
Yes, when know what can happen if a Whip’s ambitions are too obviously scorned. :eek: Although the King has already been played in this case (an in reference for those not across the original House of Cards series).
the inter-connected nature of international supply chains
Oh no, not the disrupted supply chains trope! If it isn’t Putin, it’s some other unscrupulous megalomaniac dictator going around disrupting them! :mad:
India is batshit in HOI4.
From my very limited HOI4 playing experience, it would seem so!

ARP2.png

Chapter 85, Downing Street, 4 March 1937

1660293340871.png

Oliver Stanley flicked through the notes that he had been assiduously making since taking office. He sighed, saw the shadows pass the study which signalled that his guests were due to arrive.

“Chancellor,” his secretary said quietly.

“Show ‘em in, thank you Miss Lishman.”

The Governor of the Bank of England, Sir Warren Fisher (the Permanent Secretary of the Treasury) and his deputy, Sir Richard Hopkins, strode in, and very confidently, Stanley noted.

1660293365116.png

“Thank you, gentlemen, for arriving, and particularly you, Sir Richard, for supporting this meeting,” he said this to Hopkins, “given the other things that Sir Warren and I have had you doing,” he said with warmth. Stanley knew that Hopkins had been due for a spring break in the South of France, and was very grateful for his support. In the few weeks since being assigned to the Treasury, Stanley had rapidly developed an increasing frustration with Fisher. That lack of regard was mutual, Fisher indiscreetly mocking Stanley behind his back, suggesting that the Chancellor was ‘Eden’s bauble’ and had been overpromoted. It had made the Treasury an unhappy place.

“Chancellor,” Sir Richard Hopkins said politely.

“And you, Sir Montagu, welcome,” Stanley nodded towards the Sir Montagu Norman, the somewhat dandyish Governor of the Bank of England. He waited while Miss Lishman offered refreshments. “I wanted to welcome you all here as I’m having difficulty in understanding the information that you’re reporting, and then, to set out the timetable for a budget. “Between us we have achieved much in this crisis.”

“Winston didn’t have the time,” Fisher said in a slightly wry manner, “with all of his other burdens, his labours, to attend to the economy.”

Stanley was clearly irritated by the other man’s airiness. “But we can, and my message to you all is that we must. We must do as we are. I want no capital flight, no currency crises, no balance of payments problems, no dramatic price rises.”

Norman stroked his moustache and beard in an elegant gesture that reminded Stanley of Anthony Eden. He looked at Stanley, assessing the man as he would any would-be business partner. Deciding to adopt an Attlee-ish bluntness, he replied, “I must ask. Not that we’ve survived the change of King, do you intend anything radical? Any nationalisations? Another election?”

“No,” Stanley replied directly. “The PM has been quite clear. The focus is on stability, rebuilding.”

1660293429033.png

Norman smiled. “Good. Confidence is fragile,” he said quietly. “We have endured months of wild political activity. Shareholders and investors want a quiet life.”

Fisher was making a rather silly amount of ceremony over putting clotted cream on a scone. “If, Norman old boy,” he said in a slightly secretive way, focussing deliberately on his scone as he spoke, “we needed to do that thing that we were discussing with Neville, how would you feel about that?”

Norman sighed. “Rearmament?” Stanley, who had not been privy to any of the previous discussions, sat back.

“Yeees,” Fisher said furtively.

“It all depends on what your forecasted spend is, Warren. Churchill was byzantine in his unwillingness to show me his plans, I understand that he talked a lot about battleships and aircraft but I’m not sure that he had anything set out, that I could use to make a forecast.”

Hopkins, who was taking a note, frowned. “So his revised Naval estimates…”

“…are as much of a mystery to me as the appeal of Aelbert Cuyp,” Norman quipped, only Fisher laughing at the reference to a 17th Century Dutch painter.

“Well, I will tell you our plans,” Stanley said with conviction. “Last year Stanley Baldwin allocated one hundred and eighty million for defence,” he began.

“Which was sixty million more than in ‘thirty-five,” Norman agreed. “I presume that you’re increasing the programme for this year, and next?”

Stanley nodded. “Given the chaos of the last six months we’re going to need at least one hundred and twenty million, possibly more.”

“And we appreciate, Sir Norman, old fruit, that the pips of taxation can be squeezed only a little bit more.”

“How much more?”

Hopkins looked up from his notes. “Realistically? Half of the extra spending, perhaps one hundred and eighty million, leaving a significant shortfall.”

Stanley smiled sadly. “I know that all three of you will tell me that one of the key pillars of orthodox economics is that taxation should rise to cover the deficit, but I fear…”

“…borrowing,” Norman understood. “You don’t want to snuff out prosperity like a flickering candle, so you want to borrow more. My preference, gentlemen, would be to get more out of taxation before we borrow.”

Hopkins frowned. “But if we wanted to, how we would go about it? We have, really, no experience of borrowing so much new money since the war.”

“And,” Fisher interjected, “even in bad years the worst that could be said against our credit was that we were not reducing the debt. How do we satisfy the opinion of the people that would lend us the money?”

Norman nodded at the question. “The gilt-edged market is in a jumpy and rather dangerous mood.” He thought for a moment. “I doubt very much, whether lender opinion would be satisfied unless a proportion, a substantial proportion, was raised by taxation.”

Stanley seemed to understand. “Like anyone going to a banker for a loan, we in the Government have to demonstrate that we can handle the payments.”

1660293494320.png

Fisher looked wryly at his political master. “So, we’re back to that notion of Neville’s.”

“The defence thing? All I know is that you warned me about a scheme of his to raise money.”

Stanley understood and picked up a battered manila folder. “Sir Richard has kindly handed me this,” he said with a warm smile to Hopkins. “It’s Chamberlain’s idea, last year, for a National Defence Contribution.”

Norman looked at the three Treasury men with suspicion. “And what is a ‘contribution’. It’s a tax, I surmise?”

Stanley nodded. “It is, Sir Montagu. Chamberlain was out before he could do much with it, but last year he asked the Inland Revenue to look at what is essentially an Excess Profits Tax.”

Norman nodded. “I think that we can live with it,” he concluded after a pause. “I presume,” he turned to Stanley, “that you and Eden are content with the political ramifications?”

Stanley smiled. “Labour has started a very odd campaign, they appear to be both for and against rearmament. Most of it is fairly useless, but by going for the profits made by the big military manufacturers…”

“…they strike a blow for the oppressed working man,” Fisher finished theatrically.

Norman frowned. “Nothing to do with me, gentlemen,” he said with relish.

“The point, Sir Norman,” Stanley said with a frown at Fisher, “is that by taxing the profits we can show that the big companies are making a contribution to their nation’s defence. Anthony is going to support this with a ‘pay your fair share’ line. We’ve already spoken to Vickers-Armstrong and some of the others, they understand the need and will not object.”

Norman nodded. “In that case, we can live with the charge, and this will demonstrate your intent in support of borrowing.” He sipped on his tea. “Now, what about any nationalisation?”

“No,” Stanley answered. “Out of mild interest, could we?”

“Yes,” Norman added.

“Really?”

Norman rolled his eyes. “Oh Dear, Chancellor, of course we can, if you wanted it done gently. A few third-party trades, here and there, will quietly amass some stock. I’d pour some honeyed words into a few of our more patriotic shareholders,” he said in a grand voice. “It would mitigate the impact of nationalisation. Unless you went for the blunderbuss approach.”

“Legislation?” Hopkins was taking notes.

“Yes, Mr Hopkins, legislation.”

“I think,” Stanley said quickly, “we will leave that hypothetical as a, well, hypothetical.”

Norman nodded, relieved. “Is any other tax rising measure in the Finance Bill?”

“It’s not in the King’s Speech, Sir Montagu, no.”

“With respect, Dear Chancellor, you haven’t answered the question.”

“With equal respect, Dear Governor, I was hoping that you wouldn’t notice. We didn’t agree on any tax rises yet, we’ve perhaps suggested that there will be a small increase in Income Tax, but certainly nothing more,” he then added, “yet.”

“Other than the Defence Contribution,” Norman asked in a slightly lofty tone.

“Quite,” Stanley said tightly.

They paused while Miss Lishman refreshed the tea service. Having been fed and watered, they resumed their seats. Stanley, fortified by a strong tea, now frowned. “Now that we have done the immediate stuff,” he said with a frown, “I wanted to talk through the forecast for the economy.”

Norman made an amused expression. “Oh…”

“…because,” Stanley said, with a hint of exasperation, “it doesn’t make sense. On the one hand I see unemployment stubbornly more or the less the same, while wages are rising and prices too. I have some here, in the Treasury, who are starting to talk about a second slump. What do we really think about this?”

Norman wasn’t going to answer, immediately, so Hopkins, seeing Fisher equally dumbstruck, spoke up. “The Chancellor has a point, gentlemen. Prices have been low, certainly since the twenties. But the general index moved up from sixty-five to seventy-two last year, and is predicted to go as high as eighty next month.”

Norman was bored. “So?”

Stanley was clearly irritated. “So, Sir Norman, general wholesale prices have risen twenty percent in eighteen months!”

“Retail,” Fisher now spoke, “will follow, but not for another year, I would say?”

“Yes, yes,” Norman agreed tersely. “It’s all cyclical economics,” he waved his hand airily.

“I see,” Stanley said, his voice cool. “What about the falls in the securities markets? We were,” he looked at his notes, grateful for Hopkins’ preparation, “on for a rise in the price of securities, twenty percent from October thirty-five, and now two falls.”

Norman sighed. “Some of it is political chaos. The markets had no idea what Lloyd George was going to do. Then the election, where your merry band,” he waved at Stanley, “was openly talking about forming a government with Attlee. Now that is, mercifully, a thing of the past…”

“…we can sleep safe and secure?” That was Fisher.

“I still do not understand,” Stanley said with a frown, why our recovery might be hindered at a time when the economy is still below full capacity. How worried, gentlemen, should I be?”

“We monitor, Chancellor,” Hopkins spoke, “and we remain ready to intervene. Is that agreed?”

“It’s cyclical,” Norman replied, sticking to his earlier point.

“There will be no sudden bursting of a boom,” Fisher said sharply, “or a sharp crisis. We’re in the middle of about six months of hesitancy.”

“Alright,” Stanley said, making notes. “My final point for discussion was the sterling area.” He huffed. “Frankly, I’m not sure I fully understand why an Australian Pound might be different to a British one, but I am sure you can talk me through it.”

Fisher rolled his eyes. “What is the Cabinet’s concern, Chancellor?”

Stanley peered at Fisher. “The question raised is this. What leverage does our command of sterling give us with the Dominions?”

Norman chuckled. “Be careful, there, Mr Stanley. It’s far too complex a question for a simple answer. Take Canada for example. Canada as a borrowing entity doesn’t really exist, much to my chagrin,” he said grandly. “You have individual cities trying to secure credit, along with the provinces. And they’re as in flagrante delicto with the Americans as they are with us.”

“What a charming thought for a wet afternoon,” Fisher said happily. “Perhaps a separate briefing, for you and Eden?”

Stanley nodded. “And Kinglsey Wood, please.”

====​

GAME NOTES

(Grimaces). I hate economics, subscribing to the theory that most of it is made up. In so far as I am able, I present this, a rather brief update, albeit one packed with stuff. The ‘headlines’: the National Defence Contribution is discussed and gets the Bank of England’s assent, there is discussion over tax rises / nationalisation, as well as the economic prospects for 1937 and (briefly) the power that London, as the financial centre for sterling, exercises over those nations using it.

To the ‘NDC’ first, and this is, really, the first example of continuity / outright theft from the Chamberlain tenure at the Treasury. I think that Eden, probably a moderate on rearmament at this stage (as in, taking the plans from the Baldwin and OTL Chamberlain Governments, seeing what else might be needed, but nowhere what some in the Conservative Party were after) would probably go along with Chamberlain’s plan of borrowing, some tax rises, and the NDC, which a tax levied, as discussed on corporate profit to supplement the defence budget. The debates on this matter provoked some of the most fiery exchanges seen (at that point) on financial matters; I wonder if this was as much for political gain (as in ‘we’re all in this together’) as it was about the income generated.

What it did do is pass the test of the Bank of England, here, as it was OTL, led by the rather cosmopolitan character (his dress sense is unlike any other banker I have ever seen) Sir Montagu Norman. Where to begin…

Norman, here more or less two thirds of the way into his twenty-four year tenure as Governor, really was happiest discussing art or music than he was as a governor. His is an interesting reputation, he was certainly close to a number of Germans and some of his support to German transactions was, shall we say, questionable. Keynes, of course, thought him hopeless, and his relationship with Chamberlain (and, by extension Stanley) is an uneasy one. Where Chamberlain scored highly with Norman was his advanced notice of impending announcements, the NDC being trailed repeatedly in 1936 before it was formally debated in ’37. In this, the game TL lags OTL, largely due to the inactivity of the DLG administration.

Where we’re not lagging, indeed where we’re practically racing ahead, is in seeing the initial turbulence of the 1937 slump. I appreciate that much of this was US-driven, but the impact of the DLG and Edward chaos would, I submit, have been market uncertainty, weak confidence, and a wariness of taking risks. I therefore speculatively suggest that some of the looming cooldown happen slightly earlier OTL, and that the Treasury, hypersensitive to looking incompetent in its handling of the economy, is already worrying. In mitigation, I offer that a number of financial periodicals and some of the brokers were worried in the Spring of ’37, although most did not become concerned until much later, say September or October. My point is that for the UK there would have been an economic impact of the inactive, chaotic DLG government.

We end with a discussion of Sterling almost as a weapon; it is intriguing that Norman, among others, was absolutely and resolutely unwilling to do much to support the Commonwealth members of the Sterling area (Australia and New Zealand in particular). The discussion about Canada comes from a Cabinet note, worried about individual cities and provinces going mad, sent to Chamberlain in 1938.

(takes cover, economics really isn’t my thing…)

Moving on I see some fun figures in the cabinet, Margesson has already been commented on but Kingsley Wood in the Foreign Office really could go either way. I can see him giving the department the thorough kicking and modernisation it desperately needs, but on the policy side I'm not sure. But then with Eden in the top job perhaps that matters less and K-W seemed happy to be in the back seat even when in a Great Office of State (wasn't even allowed in the War Cabinet for two years in OTL despite being Chancellor).

Kingsley Wood and Stanley have interesting roles, both are, to an extent the 'pets' of other senior politicians (Chamberlain and Eden) although Kingsley Wood, almost certainly, has more of a following.

For the rest I see the decidedly shifty Dugdale has made an appearance in cabinet and I am now aware of Walter Womersley and his meteoric rise through life. From 10yr old mill worker to government minister and then onto a baronetcy. I wish him well just for how hard he must have had to fight to get that far.

Womersley is a truly unusual character, and I agree, he must have either had the Devil's own luck or sheer guts to get to where he has after such a humble start.

Such. Terrifying. Pace.

With the screenshot you showed I was expecting a slightly more dramatic Waziristan Campaign where the rebels took advantage of British distraction to be a bit more effective. But I suppose the INC taking advantage and rabble rousing is more likely, and as you say that can easily shade into bits of general opportunistic naughtiness.

Yes, I ultimately decided that it's too early for anything like the carnage of '47, so it's much more subdued, and with congress in as much trouble as the British.

Warships and whatever the hell Winston did to the Fleet Building plans before his abrupt departure, though I'm sure such a vital matter will not be forgotten.

Will be looked at in a Cabinet meeting coming up.

Can I also suggest the impact of all this Imperial Policing on the RAF. For the Army this is the sort of thing that they are expecting, pinging around the Empire putting down revolts and supporting the civil powers so probably no change from OTL (the idea of sending another BEF to the continent being anathema to most politicians till 1938 at the earliest). But the RAF loves it's heavy bombers and they are probably sod all use at this point. What they need is a modernised Hawker Hart, something cheap to run and happy on dusty bases that can support ground troops and do the Imperial Air Police role. Possibly even the mooted, but OTL cancelled, Support Bomber concept - a big bomber that could carry a fully equipped platoon of infantry and land on a short, tree surrounded rough landing strip. Then load up on bombs and take off to support the platoon it had just delivered. Right now something like that might be looking more attractive than OTL, certainly there will be at least some talk about if the OTL expansion Schemes are still correct.

So this is fascinating stuff; the RAF will be told to pivot away from shiny, but in this TL so far redundant heavy bombers, and we will see a focus on smaller (and cheaper) frames. I have a major POD on this theme which I will introduce a long, long time in the TL's future.

Character established.

I almost always do this with Ironside, I find him, well, rather bluff and not the sharpest of officers.

It did make sense (I also, out of completeness, diplo-annexed Malaya, and then completely forgot that I had done so).

I do wonder if Churchill will somehow impact on India, just on general principles. All in all I think India is going to be an interesting trial for the new government. And quite possibly for the troops send to clear up the politicians messes.

I think that unless the Party tells him to shut up (perhaps with an offer of restoration of the whip if he does), he will rage if anything is offered to India that could be seen as a reward for the chaos that the INC/random dissenters have caused. I agree, India is pretty much the crisis facing the Government, aside from all the internal clearing up to be done after DLG and King Edward. This is a major POD from OTL; India was relatively quiet in '37 - 42ish, so this outbreak of insurrection will have consequences.

Maybe the UK ignores Europe, gambling that the nazis will collapse on their own and focuses on the empire and the far east?

Then when the nazis invade the soviet Union, stab them in the back and get all of europe back.

It's a tempting strategy, and will certainly appeal to a ton of people on the left and right, but ultimately too much has already happened. That said, the rupture with the French makes it easier for Eden in this TL than Chamberlain in OTL.

Given the rank relationship and the MA to general dynamic, Belsay should have expected Dill to do it anyway. While also expecting it would be something to the benefit of his career and in the nature of an offer he don’t refuse even if given the “choice”. Though at least being asked would be nice too!

Thank you for that, I was keen for take on portrayal of something that you know from personal experience. I get your point, I think that Belsay, probably naively, thought that he was somehow special, and different from the people petitioning Dill for good jobs. Dill was, BTW, a superb manipulator of the British Army appointments system to get his people into the desirable positions.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I always felt that Terry Pratchett explained economics best. It's not a science, it is the reflected sound of underground spirits. Economists are merely members of the secret cult that make votive offerings and conduct strange tests which are effectively just modernised haruspicy. In particular as best represented by that most particular of institutions the LSE from which, I remind you, came Jim Hacker with all that entails.

In other words a dull business meeting on the surface, but some slow-burning powder underneath, or so it seems. But maybe some stolidity at Treasury is no bad thing - Sir Warren Fisher's views to the contrary.

Reactions:

STANLEY!

“It all depends on what your forecasted spend is, Warren. Churchill was byzantine in his unwillingness to show me his plans, I understand that he talked a lot about battleships and aircraft but I’m not sure that he had anything set out, that I could use to make a forecast.”

Well, that does sound like Churchill...

I hate economics, subscribing to the theory that most of it is made up.

Most of it is, as any good economist will tell you. Their outlines, methods, models and theory tends to not fit any of the actual facts and figures produced.

It's certainly an art, and a highly suggestible one, rather than a science.

Reactions:
That lack of regard was mutual, Fisher indiscreetly mocking Stanley behind his back, suggesting that the Chancellor was ‘Eden’s bauble’ and had been overpromoted. It had made the Treasury an unhappy place.
There are few problems inter-war Britain that couldn't be solved by sacking Fisher. Alas he appears as hard to shift as ever.
“…are as much of a mystery to me as the appeal of Aelbert Cuyp,” Norman quipped, only Fisher laughing at the reference to a 17th Century Dutch painter.
On the one hand that was a poor quip, but on the the other Cuyp is a good argument for the Dutch Golden Age of painting being more iron pyrite than precious metal.
Stanley nodded. “It is, Sir Montagu. Chamberlain was out before he could do much with it, but last year he asked the Inland Revenue to look at what is essentially an Excess Profits Tax.”
You can see why they called it a 'contribution', excess profit does sound very Labour. Though I suppose Labour would consider any profit 'excessive'.
“No,” Stanley answered. “Out of mild interest, could we?”

“Yes,” Norman added.
I mean British Sugar was nationalised in 1935/6 and no-one was that fussed, so of course they could. Though the fact it would just make a thundering loss for the rest of it's miserable existence should be a warning about how bad an idea nationalisation is in the British context.
Where we’re not lagging, indeed where we’re practically racing ahead, is in seeing the initial turbulence of the 1937 slump. I appreciate that much of this was US-driven, but the impact of the DLG and Edward chaos would, I submit, have been market uncertainty, weak confidence, and a wariness of taking risks. I therefore speculatively suggest that some of the looming cooldown happen slightly earlier OTL, and that the Treasury, hypersensitive to looking incompetent in its handling of the economy, is already worrying.
The flip side of course is that with the DLG/Edward debacle fading confidence in the UK would be rising. So I'd agree it may be turbulent earlier, but I submit it will not slump as much, a longer but shallower slowdown I would expect.
We end with a discussion of Sterling almost as a weapon; it is intriguing that Norman, among others, was absolutely and resolutely unwilling to do much to support the Commonwealth members of the Sterling area (Australia and New Zealand in particular). The discussion about Canada comes from a Cabinet note, worried about individual cities and provinces going mad, sent to Chamberlain in 1938.
They didn't really need any support was his point I believe and as the revised peg held he was arguably correct. There was also a degree of "make your bed and lie in it", Australia chose to devalue from parity in 1929, a good couple of years before the UK did, and with minimal consultation. So as long as it wasn't hurting the UK they weren't going to rush to ease their problems. Maybe not the most 'Pro-Empire' line to take, but then neither was Australia devaluing on it's own.
So this is fascinating stuff; the RAF will be told to pivot away from shiny, but in this TL so far redundant heavy bombers, and we will see a focus on smaller (and cheaper) frames. I have a major POD on this theme which I will introduce a long, long time in the TL's future.
Oh that's something to look forward to.
It did make sense (I also, out of completeness, diplo-annexed Malaya, and then completely forgot that I had done so).
Easily done. A great deal of the Empire was acquired in a similar manner, though you could at least have sent a latin pun about it.
That said, the rupture with the French makes it easier for Eden in this TL than Chamberlain in OTL.
"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." As you say Eden has this advantage.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."

Hmm...has there been a government white paper on the effectiveness of going hunting with and without an accordion? If not, then alas, it may probe too great a risk not to take one...

• 1Haha
Reactions:
the impact of the DLG and Edward chaos would, I submit, have been market uncertainty, weak confidence, and a wariness of taking risks. I therefore speculatively suggest that some of the looming cooldown happen slightly earlier OTL
Also claiming no expertise in the subject, nor the particular period in labyrinthine British politics, this sounds fair play.
Norman, among others, was absolutely and resolutely unwilling to do much to support the Commonwealth members of the Sterling area (Australia and New Zealand in particular).
Boo, hiss! As in WW1 and WW2, a Dominion not going to war on behalf of Britain and France is like hunting without a bagpiper skirling angrily at an accordionist. :p
takes cover, economics really isn’t my thing…
No friendly fire from my direction.
Dill was, BTW, a superb manipulator of the British Army appointments system to get his people into the desirable positions.
Then Belsay should definitely just salute and carry on. ;)
I always felt that Terry Pratchett explained economics best. It's not a science, it is the reflected sound of underground spirits.
An excellent explanation. :D

ARP2.png

Chapter 86, Buckingham Palace, 10 March 1937

1661260110146.png

Eden and Monckton were both amazed that no earlier opportunity had presented itself for a formal audience; with the Royal Family engulfed in processing the aftermath of the Abdication, and Eden similarly wading through the bulging in tray inherited from Lloyd George, each institution had had little time for the other. Eden was determined to remain ‘in step’ with his Sovereign, and had pleaded with Monckton for a meeting at the earliest possible moment.

As his car swept into the quadrangle, Eden spotted the ramrod straight bearing of Walter Monckton, acting as Private Secretary to the Sovereign while the new regime established itself.

“Prime Minister,” Monckton said, warmly. Eden noticed that he seemed tired.

“Ah, Walter, are you getting enough sleep?”

“Much to do, Prime Minister, much to do.”

“How is, ah, ‘he’?”

“Exhausted. Nothing has been done since Christmas. Nothing of note with state ceremonial, anyway. No receptions for ambassadors, no patronage of the regiments. And then there are the honours.”

Eden’s moustache twitched. “The New Year Honours were a disgrace,” he allowed, “I presume His Majesty has a view on that?”

“Mortified, ashamed, stricken,” Monckton said sadly, “he may counsel your views on that.”

“Thank you, ah, Walter, for the warning.”

“Be gentle, Anthony,” Monckton said pleadingly. “He’s doing his best. If he loses his temper, it’s frustration with the system, not you.”

Suitably forewarned, Eden was escorted through the Palace quite briskly. As Foreign Secretary he had largely avoided the domestic crises of 1936, and had been an at best infrequent visitor to the Palace. Nevertheless, he found that there was a change with the new reign, signified with the wonderful metaphor of the Palace attendants pulling open the curtains in one of the larger staterooms as Eden was walked through the labyrinthine building.

His heart flapping slightly, Eden waited as Monckton and new equerry knocked and went in first. After a few moments, no more than a minute or two, Monckton emerged.

“Prime Minister, His Majesty wonders if you would like to join us for lunch after the audience.”

“I would be delighted,” Eden said with enthusiasm.

“He’s ready for you,” Monckton gestured for Eden to follow.

Eden strode in with more confidence than he felt.

“The Prime Minister,” the equerry announced. Monckton and Eden bowed their heads.

“Mr Eden,” the King said warmly, gesturing that Eden should sit in the armchair opposite. “Walter here has, I hoped, invited you to lllll=lunch?”

“He has, Your Majesty, and I would be delighted.”

“Gggg-goood. I realised that we don’t really know one another, and I would sssso lll-like us to rub along well.”

“That is also my wish, Sir,” Eden said easily.

“Is it? Really? Oh ggg-good,” the King said, Monckton coughing politely. “Ah yes, on that nnnnn-n-note. In my father’s day it used to be the convention that the Prime Minister would write to the King after a Cabinet meeting. I wondered, if it wouldn’t be an imposition, if that cccc-could be something that we restart?”

Eden felt the trap close around him, as Monckton nodded, the reasonable lawyer agreeing with a reasonable request by his reasonable client. “Well Sir, as you know Your Majesty is kept abreast of matters through the minutes of the Cabinet Secretary…”

“…you don’t have one,” Monckton said immediately, “you’ve got junior civil servants filling in until you get one appointed.”

“And,” the King snapped, the stutter suppressed by his passion, “it used to be a useful way of bbb-briefing the Sovereign on the actions of his Government.”

Eden was irritated but did not want to make a stand on this issue, of all things. He smiled his most charming smile. “Of course, Sir, I see that it would allow me to share my thoughts and, ah, views. Give you a sense of where I’m going.”

“Exactly!” The King practically shouted. He was smiling. “I’m so p-pleased, I knew you’d agree.” Monckton quietly rose and, bowing, retreated silently. The King waited until he heard the ‘click’ of the door handle settling before he resumed the conversation. “Walter is doing well, you know.”

“He is ah, a very clever man.”

“Ever since you took Edward from me,” it took Eden a moment to realise that ‘Edward’ was Halifax, now Secretary of State for India, rather than the former King, “I’ve relied upon him more and more. Would he accept, you think, the position of Private Secretary on a permanent basis.”

“I can certainly speak to him about it, Sir.” Eden, if he was honest, didn’t care if Monckton joined the International Brigade and fought for the Spanish Republic. But he sensed that the King was desperate to retain any experienced hands that he could. “But, if I may offer, ah, an opinion, perhaps it would be wider for Your Majesty to use Walter to train up a replacement loyal only to you.”

“Bring on the new blood, eh? Hadn’t thought of that, Eden, thank you. Now, how do we, ww-w-w-ell, do this?”

“I’m not entirely sure myself, Sir,” Eden risked levity, hoping to make a gain with this new King.

Mercifully, the King saw the funny sound and barked what was a genuine guffaw. “New King, new Prime Minister. We’ll have to muddle through as best one ccccc-can.”

“From what I got from Earl Baldwin during my visit, I update you on world and domestic, ah, affairs, you ask questions, and then we, ah, talk about any other matters.”

“Capital.” The King of England, looking for all the world like an overeager schoolboy, sat forward, ready to receive the news.

Eden realised that he hadn’t, really, prepared this bit. Where to begin? “Well, ah, perhaps we should start with my old domain, foreign affairs. Your Majesty will read, in the Foreign Office box, that a French steamer was nearly sunk off Spain a couple of days back.”

The King, ever keen on maritime affairs, looked alert. “Was it hostile fire? Or shore batteries?”

“Well, Sir,” Eden countered, gently containing the King’s enthusiasm, “it looks like a naval mine. And in the same place…”

“…as our ship last week, the er…”

“The Llandovery Castle, Sir,” Eden wondered if the King had deliberately avoided saying the Welsh name to evade the stutter. “And this French ship, the Marie-Thérèse le Borgne," Eden's pronunciation was of course perfect, "came into grief in the same place. Just off Catalonia, Sir.”

“Have the French responded?”

“Not yet, Sir. But we must be prepared to calm Gallic passions,” Eden said suavely. “The Republicans have renewed their calls on us, the European democracies, to do more. This incident at sea, ah, comes at a bad time.”

1661260272181.png

The King nodded. “I read the report from K-K-K-Kingsley Wood. It was a good speech by the Spanish: ‘the defence of Madrid is the defence of Paris and London tomorrow’. We still stay out?”

“We do, Sir,” Eden said quickly, keen to avoid triggering a Royal discussion on Spain. “It is worth repeating that this is a civil war, and rather, ah, a confusing one at that. Malaga has fallen to the rebels, Madrid continues to endure the siege.”

“Yes, P-P-Prime Mmminister, but the other side won a battle at…”

“…Jarama, Sir. I think that is my point. This is still a very confused situation. If we wade in, and, ah, no one would agree on which side, by the way, we risk joining a doomed venture. And then we would have to live with a hostile Spain which could threaten Gibraltar and our route to the Mediterranean.”

“Makes sense,” the King said quietly.

Eden smiled his most charming smile. “It is a challenging world. Kingsley Wood has a lot to do,” Eden said with feeling, “not least with the League.”

“I saw that Uruguay…”

“…Paraguay, Sir, and yes they’ve pulled out. It’s a small dent but if, ah, the concert of nations is to have a chance…”

“…you’d need everyone t-to p-p-p-pull together.”

“Something like that, Sir.”

“What will you d-d-do with the French?”

Eden risked levity, “that, Sir, has been, ah, the key question of our foreign policy for nigh on two hundred years!” His smile faded. “We’ll send out an olive branch, try and restore our collaboration. But our recent struggles at home have had an impact. We will, ah, almost certainly see Paris try and strengthen her relationship with the new nations of Eastern Europe. Czechoslovakia, Poland, Yugoslavia and so on.”

The King frowned. “Do we want involvement with that?”

“Not really, Sir,” Eden said immediately. “I worry what the French initiative means for Europe.”

“Fascinating,” the King said simply.

“We may try, and ah, support the Eastern Europeans. Without, of course, formal, ah, entanglements.”

The King was completely baffled. “How, er, what?”

“We have received a request from the Yugoslavians. They apparently want to purchase military aircraft from the leading powers. I was wondering if Your Majesty would consent to offer a royal element. Perhaps, ah, one of your brothers, as a host for the visit.”

“Georgie,” the King said instinctively. “Georgie and Marina could do it. Perhaps a dinner or reception?”

“I think so, Sir. Kingsley Wood and Swinton will arrange, with their ministries, the rest.”

“Good, glad to be of help.”

“On brighter news,” Eden said, “I am grateful for Your Majesty’s telegram to the Italians on the birth of the Prince of Naples.”

The King smiled. “That was Walter, with help from the Foreign Office.”

“Well, it certainly struck the right note with Rome. Ciano himself wrote to us thanking us for the warmth of the message.”

The King, pleased to have helped ‘do his bit’, beamed. “And Austria?”

“We’re utterly baffled. Why on Earth Schuschnigg would want to restore the Hapsburgs is beyond me. Perhaps, ah, to signal his distance from Herr Hitler.”

“Do we…”

“No, Sir, I don’t think we get involved. I doubt it was ah, a serious suggestion, and we will keep well away from Austrian, ah, affairs. The days of your grandfather shooting with Francis Joseph are from another era, I’m ah, afraid. We cannot meddle in Austrian politics.”

The King nodded. “I quite agree, Prime Minister. Quite a world we’re s-ssssstepping into.”

Eden smiled sadly. “And at home, Sir…”

“…gggosh, that bad?”

“There is much to be done.” Eden sighed. He hadn’t wanted to begin the new reign, and premiership, like this, but knew he had to. “We need, of course, to propose a legislative agenda and to open Parliament. Attlee, as well as some within my own government,” he said, carefully trying to shift the King’s opprobrium to others, "are, ah, insisting upon the full constitutional review that was discussed in the election.” The King, very deliberately, looked down at his shoes. Eden sighed. “Of course it is unlikely that this would ever get the votes in the House, the ah, election saw to that, but it is the consequence of Chamberlain, and Attlee, raising this in the election.”

“It was necessary,” the King said, quietly.

“But was it, Sir? I know that we all agreed, when your brother,” the King coloured, a sign of anger at the informality, “er, the Lord Sunningdale, required, ah, a united Parliament. But now…”

“I am not, I am told, to interfere with p-p-p-p-party matters. But I would guard against further turbulence.”

Eden nodded. “The problem, Sir, is that it may be unavoidable. If,” Eden began, slyly, “we see someone conjuring something unacceptable, the salvation of the Monarchy as it currently stands may depend upon some logical and moderate reforms.”

The King seemed to grind his teeth, which, Eden suspected, was a sign of frustration or anger. “That is a, bbbbbb-b-bold view Mr Eden,” he coughed, and reached for a cigarette. Eden noticed that his hands, which had been clasped in dutiful attention on the King’s knee, were shaking. “Very b-b-b-b-b-bold.”

Eden, with the King duly worried, now sat back. “Of course, Your Majesty has my promise that I will do only that which I need to, to avoid the Monarchy becoming, yet again, ah, the spark that blows the Government, ah apart.” He knew that he was overdoing it, making it sound as though Parliament was channeling the spirit of Cromwell, but felt it essential. The King had to agree to the Establishment Bill or they were all doomed.

“Cc-can your Cabinet agree on a King’s Speech?” Eden was surprised and impressed. The new King had clearly understood the problem.

“We can, Sir, although the policy work is still ongoing, amidst…”

“…clearing up after our recent messes,” the King said knowingly.

"Yes Sir, which is why we will need to announce the Royal Establishment Bill."

The King nodded, and Eden has his victory. “Do you want to issue the Speech from the throne soon?”

“Constitutionally, we need to proceed, ah, get on with it,” Eden said wearily. “The timing is rather testing, just yesterday a few of the Conservative rebels have asked to regain the Whip…”

“…forgive, me,” the King interrupted, “that means come back into the Conservative fold.”

“Just so, Sir.”

“And, don’t help me, that means that your majority is s-s-sstrengthened.”

“Precisely, Sir. So I ah, find myself in a rather odd situation. I would like to try and, ah, regather the Party in Parliament, and then issue our programme. But we must obey the constitutional conventions. It would also, Sir, allow us to get Parliament opened, and then shortly enjoy Your Majesty’s coronation.” The King nodded, and Eden was relieved.

The King suddenly looked concerned, clearly having a thought he wanted to raise. “India?”

Eden’s expression was grim. “I fear I will disappoint you, Sir. A visit in the current climate is unthinkable.”

If Eden was anticipating a struggle he wasn’t going to get one. “I understand,” he said simply. “I would only ask that my Government understands my wish to visit as soon as the situation is restored. Is it being restored?”

“The troops are assembling, Sir,” Eden said evasively, “we’ve reorganised the Indian Army regiments so that there is a greater ratio of British troops in the divisions. You’ll also see that almost all of the cavalry and armoured brigades in the British Army are out there or are heading out there.”

“I’d like to show my support to any of the regiments departing England for India.”

“I fear that most of the troops that we’re using were already overseas, ah, augmenting Dill, in Palestine. But I shall certainly inform the War Office. There’s bound to be, ah, a battalion here or there.”

“Then I will sssssss-salute them off.”

1661260489927.png

Eden winced. “We must be careful not to give to this, ah, policing action, the trappings of a war. But I think that Royal support will go down very well with the troops,” Eden said rapidly, “and of, course, their er, families.” He looked around for inspiration, and saw that one of the paintings (which looked truly horrible and Victorian) was of an Australian coastal scene. “However, Sir…”

“…yes,” the King snapped eagerly.

“I would go so far as to, ah, say that you are our greatest asset in rebuilding our relations with the Dominions. As soon as we can, I’d like Your Majesty to tour the Dominions. Set out that we’re back, business as usual and all that.”

The King nodded, “and Elizabeth?”

“Oh of course Her Majesty will accompany you Sir.” Having made a policy on the spur of the moment, Eden was warming to it.

With formalities concluded the King rose and, Eden at his side, walked out to where Monckton and the equerry were waiting. “Is Queen Elizabeth joining us?”

“She is, Sir,” Monckton confirmed.

“And you, of course, Walter.”

“I would be humbled, Sir.”

They walked over to one of the smaller staterooms, a confection of white and gold, of course, but nonetheless more intimate that the state dining rooms. Eden found himself sat on a big, square table, the King to his right and the Queen (who had arrived unceremoniously) on his left. Monckton sat opposite him.

“Tell me, Mr Eden,” the Queen began, “how is your wife taking to life in Downing Street?”

“Well, Ma’am, she worries that she will see less of me than she did when I was ah, Foreign Secretary, but she understands the need to ah…”

“…do one’s duty?”

“I think so, Ma’am.”

“And your children? It’s two sons that you have?”

“Indeed Ma’am, and more or less of an age with the princesses.”

“It will be hard upon them, Mr Eden,” the Queen said simply.

“Harder, Ma’am, on the, ah, princesses.”

The Queen shot her husband a knowing and sympathetic look. “I was pleased by your remarks on the wireless, and in the less sensationalist papers. Your defence of the Crown was very noble.” The King nodded.

“I did no more than my constitutional role demands,” Eden said simply.

“Those people,” she said with a shudder, “they were not gentlemen. Advising all sorts of silliness.”

“Well, Ma’am,” Eden said in a consolatory tone, “we are, ah, I believe, through the worst of it.”

“And that man,” she said, hissing her displeasure. “Where is he now? France?”

“Briefly, Ma’am, we understand that they are currently in Switzerland. Prime Minister Blum in Paris has assured me that he will not receive, ah, er, Lord Sunningdale.”

1661275392199.png

“Quite right too,” the Queen said fervently.

Eden steeled himself. “There will, of course, Sir, Ma’am, be renewed interest in the Sunningdales if, as I believe ah, they will, they marry in a few months’ time.”

The King looked distraught. “Not again,” he murmured.

“The Prime Minister,” Monckton said carefully, “is right to warn us. What do you think it will be?”

“Possibly some editorials, perhaps a picture or two. There are rumours of an American interest.”

“Lorks,” the King said.

"We shall do what we can," Eden said, an air of resignation creeping in.

====
GAME NOTES

I won’t do this very often, but I wanted to show the scale of what these unexpected leaders are stepping into. In most circumstances either the Monarch or the PM has some experience of the weekly audience between them, in this case the changes occurred at virtually the same time. It doesn’t help that Eden never understudied, or stood in temporarily (as Chamberlain did both here and OTL) for Baldwin domestically, and King George V rarely nurtured his second son (or, come to think of it, any of his sons) in understanding the Monarch’s son; it was never envisaged that he would ascend the Throne. We have therefore have two similarly (ish) aged men trying their best to muddle through, as the UK still reassembles itself after the Abdication saga and the impact of the events of the first two parts of this AAR.

Much of that impact is, of course, in Whitehall; a lot of Parliamentary time was lost to the impasse created by the Royal crisis and the DLG government. That government did very little of note as it lacked (by a horrific margin) a majority in the Commons via which it could pass legislation (not that it had much in the way of plans, beyond ‘survive’). Eden, now that Chamberlain is disgraced, has inherited the winning Conservative manifesto, which as discussed was quite narrow and was focussed as much on constitutional matters as domestic and foreign reforms. Having won the election, the Conservatives now, of course, have to prepare a King’s Speech; this is looming (which will be the focus of the next update). I am already stretching plausibility a little by it not happening already, but perhaps the scale of the crisis is such that Eden has a tolerant reception and is offered a couple of weeks more to prepare his programme. But that programme will include, as we have discussed, the Royal Establishment Bill (as discussed a few updates ago) and an attempt to define (I’m going for ‘define’ rather than control at this stage) some of the roles and relationships between the Crown and the other agencies of state. Eden, of course, doesn’t have to spell out what’s in the Bill, at most the King will say something like ‘my government will pass measures to define the role of the Crown’, and that’s it. The hard work comes when they debate the legislation (particularly, for this Bill, in the House of Lords).

The foreign affairs stuff, the French stuff aside, is all true and from March 1937; there was a spike in shipping losses in the Med at this time, the Austrians really did (not seriously) talk about the Hapsburgs (but don’t worry, HOI4 has a mad focus tree if you want to try restoring them!) and this was the season of nations pulling out of the League of Nations. The Yugoslav bit is from a game event, and will feature in an update (May 1937, I think).

I always felt that Terry Pratchett explained economics best. It's not a science, it is the reflected sound of underground spirits. Economists are merely members of the secret cult that make votive offerings and conduct strange tests which are effectively just modernised haruspicy. In particular as best represented by that most particular of institutions the LSE from which, I remind you, came Jim Hacker with all that entails.

In other words a dull business meeting on the surface, but some slow-burning powder underneath, or so it seems. But maybe some stolidity at Treasury is no bad thing - Sir Warren Fisher's views to the contrary.

Most of it is, as any good economist will tell you. Their outlines, methods, models and theory tends to not fit any of the actual facts and figures produced.

It's certainly an art, and a highly suggestible one, rather than a science.

And one that I shall keep as a lightly discussed, peripheral matter as much as possible!

There are few problems inter-war Britain that couldn't be solved by sacking Fisher. Alas he appears as hard to shift as ever.

Don't bet on it; I think that reform of the senior civil service has to feature; for one, there isn't a full time Cabinet Secretary (as discussed in this update), and a lot of the senior bureaucrats look stupid, dodgy or a combination of the two in light of the DLG saga.

On the one hand that was a poor quip, but on the the other Cuyp is a good argument for the Dutch Golden Age of painting being more iron pyrite than precious metal.

Norman's diaries are pretty widely available and there is a lot of talk of going to see exhibitions etc. I picked a random artist that I found overrated!

The flip side of course is that with the DLG/Edward debacle fading confidence in the UK would be rising. So I'd agree it may be turbulent earlier, but I submit it will not slump as much, a longer but shallower slowdown I would expect.

I actually agree with this, and the British recovery will be an asset going forward.

Easily done. A great deal of the Empire was acquired in a similar manner, though you could at least have sent a latin pun about it.

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." As you say Eden has this advantage.

But, don't forget, Eden is a Francophile!

Hmm...has there been a government white paper on the effectiveness of going hunting with and without an accordion? If not, then alas, it may probe too great a risk not to take one...

Probably issued to a sub-committee of a War Office study.

Boo, hiss! As in WW1 and WW2, a Dominion not going to war on behalf of Britain and France is like hunting without a bagpiper skirling angrily at an accordionist. :p

You may be disappointed in this AAR...
Then Belsay should definitely just salute and carry on. ;)

He does, rest assured he does...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 86, Buckingham Palace, 10 March 1937

The second worst building in London.

The New Year Honours were a disgrace

Oh boy, I bet they were.

Mortified, ashamed, stricken

Mmm. Cash for honours bad or knighting nazis bad?

Ah yes, on that nnnnn-n-note. In my father’s day it used to be the convention that the Prime Minister would write to the King after a Cabinet meeting. I wondered, if it wouldn’t be an imposition, if that cccc-could be something that we restart?”

Eden felt the trap close around him, as Monckton nodded, the reasonable lawyer agreeing with a reasonable request by his reasonable client.

Sounds reasonable.

Mercifully, the King saw the funny sound and barked what was a genuine guffaw. “New King, new Prime Minister. We’ll have to muddle through as best one ccccc-can.”

Elizabeth probably got lucky getting a somewhat lucid Churchill rather than off his meds Eden.

From what I got from Earl Baldwin during my visit

This being the now Lord Baldwin, former prime minister? He would be referred to as Lord. Or the Earl of etc. etc.

“We’re utterly baffled. Why on Earth Schuschnigg would want to restore the Hapsburgs is beyond me. Perhaps, ah, to signal his distance from Herr Hitler.”

This HOI4 butting in again or did they actually float this? Impossible to tell given Austrian history...

The days of your grandfather shooting with Francis Joseph are from another era, I’m ah, afraid. We cannot meddle in Austrian politics

Hey guys, remember AUSTRIA? Remember from before the Ottomans were the sick man of Europe?

Remember time? Ah...Time.

“I would go so far as to, ah, say that you are our greatest asset in rebuilding our relations with the Dominions. As soon as we can, I’d like Your Majesty to tour the Dominions. Set out that we’re back, business as usual and all that.”

Reestablish the monarchy, then send the monarch away so they can figure out the practicalities without him.

• 1Like
Reactions: