• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you want to fall down the rabbit hole of unproductive time (y'know, start the retirement off properly) you should get into a really long book series. Re-read the Tolkien legerandum, get into Discworld (btw, has anyone ever tried to do a discworld mod for CKII or another paradox game? That would be wonderful if impractically hard) or some modern fantasy like Skulduggery Pleasant (or I suppose if you're American, the Dresden Files).

If you want to read history and like CKII and want to learn a bit more, a short introduction to the Middle Ages is a pretty good start. It's got all those lovely details like the beginning of chimneys in houses and stuff in it that we all love to find in AARs. If you want something a bit later, pretty much anything by Victor Hugo will explain in exhaustive detail everything about whatever he's writing on, whether it's Notredame Cathedral or the Student's revolt.

Theres a lot of things to do as well but it's Australia so it might be a little far away...

Reactions:
If you want to fall down the rabbit hole of unproductive time (y'know, start the retirement off properly) you should get into a really long book series. Re-read the Tolkien legerandum, get into Discworld (btw, has anyone ever tried to do a discworld mod for CKII or another paradox game? That would be wonderful if impractically hard) or some modern fantasy like Skulduggery Pleasant (or I suppose if you're American, the Dresden Files).

If you want to read history and like CKII and want to learn a bit more, a short introduction to the Middle Ages is a pretty good start. It's got all those lovely details like the beginning of chimneys in houses and stuff in it that we all love to find in AARs. If you want something a bit later, pretty much anything by Victor Hugo will explain in exhaustive detail everything about whatever he's writing on, whether it's Notredame Cathedral or the Student's revolt.

Theres a lot of things to do as well but it's Australia so it might be a little far away...
Thanks mate, nice suggestions. In between everything else I just finished a detailed historical biography of Genghis Khan. So when the Mongols come visiting the Rurikids in a few hundred, I’ll be full bottle!

Have pretty much all JRRT’s stuff and even a bio on him. First read the lot through in the 70s and have been a devotee ever since. A lot of SF and fantasy too. Plenty of history too (from ancient to modern). My BA Hons & thesis (long enough ago to be history itself) were on history. Probably why I love alt-hist so much :). Then there’s travel etc ... I think I’ll have manage my time carefully!

Visited Notre Dame but that was 30 years ago - though perhaps the building itself won’t have changed to much. ;) The Berlin Wall was still up :eek: - went through checkpoint Charlie. Thanks for the other suggestions too. Will have to demolish a shelf of stockpiled books it’s. But I do like a long series ...

Reactions:
I got a book detailing his work on the English dictionary which was quite fascinating (since, y'know, he made his money being a language teacher and all that...huh, so did Jo Rowling at one point...one needs to understand language to build a mythos it seems).

Well I think if the last impression Western Europe you had was during the Cold War you should probably give it another go. It's much better now, for the most part (even the UK, though watch this space...) and CERNs pretty cool (science) and the amount of excavation done everywhere means there's a heck of a lot of things to look at now that we didn't know was there twenty years ago let alone thirty. Mind you it's pay to enter just about everything in Europe aside from GB, Ireland and France.

And there's all that retirement stuff as well where you can go back to doing stuff and enjoying it unironically. Like jelly. And trains. Or you could become one of those people who is impressively and scarily knowledgable about random specific topic like the divergent paths taken by Chicago and New York skyscraper designers due to height restrictions and zoning laws.

Discworld is the longest series I can think of. Over forty books and then there the side books where he and his science buddies exaplin the science of the discworld and the history etc. That fellow Pratchett churned the stuff out multiple times per year for decades.

Reactions:
I got a book detailing his work on the English dictionary which was quite fascinating (since, y'know, he made his money being a language teacher and all that...huh, so did Jo Rowling at one point...one needs to understand language to build a mythos it seems).

Well I think if the last impression Western Europe you had was during the Cold War you should probably give it another go. It's much better now, for the most part (even the UK, though watch this space...) and CERNs pretty cool (science) and the amount of excavation done everywhere means there's a heck of a lot of things to look at now that we didn't know was there twenty years ago let alone thirty. Mind you it's pay to enter just about everything in Europe aside from GB, Ireland and France.

And there's all that retirement stuff as well where you can go back to doing stuff and enjoying it unironically. Like jelly. And trains. Or you could become one of those people who is impressively and scarily knowledgable about random specific topic like the divergent paths taken by Chicago and New York skyscraper designers due to height restrictions and zoning laws.

Discworld is the longest series I can think of. Over forty books and then there the side books where he and his science buddies exaplin the science of the discworld and the history etc. That fellow Pratchett churned the stuff out multiple times per year for decades.
Have been back more recently for work, to Brussels. Had best part of a day to wait for my flight, so arranged a personal tour of the Waterloo battlefield (including driving the approaches of the three armies, Quatre Bras, etc). Did our first big trip mainly on a Eurail pass.

My mum is from Portsmouth so I’d like to get there this time too. Our next trip to include Eastern Europe, Spain and the WW1 battlefields (where my grandfather spent August 1914 till the end of the war with the British Army, including Ypres and the Somme).

Parts of South East Asia and NZ too (a little closer from down here).

Reactions:
If in Spain check out the Valley of Valdivielso. Lots of history there.

Reactions:
Chapter 95: Testing Times (15 to 30 September 1940) – Part 2

As promised, here is the second part of Chapter 95. I’ve also brought forward a bit of narrative as there was less battle-related text in this part.

Prologue – Switzerland

Later on the same night of the Tattaglia’s hit on Vatan ‘Vito’ Ceylan, Carlo Rizzi is talking to the guys that did the hit.

“Are you sure you got him?” he asks.

“Well boss, we put at least five shots into him, he must be dead. He looked dead to me.” The other wise guy nods. “But his driver was coming out with a gun, so we didn’t hang around to see.” Fortunately, they didn’t realise it was the bumbling Fredo – they thought it would have been a trained body guard, so had made their getaway.

“Well, you guys had better be right, or we’re in a lot of trouble.” If Sonny has anything to do about it, they will be in trouble either way!

---xxx---

Back at the Embassy, Sonny is gathered with First Counsellor Tom Heygan and Polat Cumali (Head of Embassy Security).

4w8IV3.jpg

Polat Cumali, head of security at the Turkish Embassy. And old-school S.I.T.H. operative.

The phone rings again. This time it is Fredo, calling from the hospital. “He’s still alive, but they’re not sure if he’s gonna pull through. He’s in a coma right now.”

“Those bastards. I’m gonna kill that little pr!ck Rizzi, then the rest of the Tattaglia pezzonovante," Sonny is not a happy man. “Polat, get Cennet over there to keep an eye on the Old Man. She can pretend she’s a nurse or somethin'. If these guys find out he’s still alive, they’ll send someone to finish the job. Even with Swiss security around.”

“Sonny,” says Tom. “Let’s just think calmly now. Cable Ankara for instructions. And don’t make any hasty moves. The Ambassador is still our boss. He may pull through.”

“Yeah Sonny,” chimes in Cumali. “It's a lot of bad blood, on both sides. The Ambassador, Sollozzo, Luca Brasi, Altobello, Vinny, Lucchesi ... they even tried to whack the Pope and President Atatürk. And they had plans to hit the Milli Şef!”

“It's gone too far - I think it's become too personal,” finishes Tom.

“Well, maybe, we’ll see.” Sonny pauses. “Tom, you’re First Counsellor, I’m just acting head of the European Espionage Section. Now what do we do if the old man dies, God forbid.”

“Nobody wants bloodshed anymore. If your father dies, we should make the deal, Sonny.”

“That's easy for you to say, Tom, he's not your father!”

“I'm as much a son to him as you or Fredo.”

All they can do for now is wait. For instructions from Ankara and to see whether the Ambassador survives the assassination attempt.

---xxx---

Europe

The strategic map below shows current positions, with the dotted lines representing the situation as it stood at midnight on 14 September. The arrows (red for the Axis, blue for the Allies and Comintern) give an idea of both ground gained and the balance of fighting on both fronts. Clearly, things are grimmer again in the West, more balanced but slightly in the Comintern’s favour in the East. Let us look at each in more detail, as at midnight on 30 September 1940.

t2UMDD.jpg

Edit: missed this map when I first uploaded.

Eastern Front

In the north, the Soviets have managed to hang onto Memel. To the south of that, the Germans have retaken much of the land they lost to the Soviets in the previous period, but the Red Army does seem to be counter-attacking. And they managed to hold Gumbinnen and take the East Prussian province of Lötzen to the south of that. Honours roughly even after some heavy fighting.

NvJJ4S.jpg

In the Polish sector, the Soviets have expanded their Bug River bridgehead to the north and south. While the Germans were able to form a new front to protect Lublin and to its south, the Soviets man the front in strength and could potentially exert more pressure as autumn turns gradually to winter.

suZzIj.jpg

On the Hungarian-Romanian-Slovakian sector, the Red Army once again occupies Humenne, in reasonable strength this time, but the Germans are counter-attacking it from the west. Axis forces have pushed back the Soviet salient in eastern Hungary that had threated Kosice two weeks ago. However, the Romanians have retaken and stabilised their border further south, where for a while Hungary had occupied two of their provinces (one – Oradea - from the previous period, another – Arad - lost and retaken in the last week). The Romanians would be doing better than this had a large part of their army not been sent east by the STAVKA – where they are lost in transit, not contributing to anything yet.

mX6g7B.jpg

A quick look at the air war for the last seven days on the Eastern Front is a good indicator of the intensity of major combat. Interestingly, of the four major areas of recent combat, the Polish Sector has not seen any recent air action. Perhaps both sides there have been consolidating over the last week.

0WDl8T.jpg

Western Front

The overall situation on the Western Front took a turn for the worse in the last part of September. Having been holding reasonably solidly for the previous few weeks, the Germans have generated a couple of effective offensives, with one aimed like a dagger at Paris, where they are now on its outskirts. The French are now receiving lend lease support from not only the UK, but also our Soviet comrades – who are giving them (18.4 IC) more than they are giving us (13.0 IC). Though the French really do need it. Still no sign of any BEF at all.

ktcOJO.jpg

---xxx---

We will concentrate first on the Paris sector, as it is crucial to the wider war effort and our prospects in the East and in the Med. German medium panzer divisions have taken four provinces to the north of Paris in the last two weeks, including Beauvais, which now directly threatens Paris itself – which does not yet look very heavily defended. That French tank division is actually headed south-west to Versailles! To the south-east of Paris, a German infantry division serving (somewhat mystifyingly) under Slovakian command has taken Joigny.

t1JFIa.jpg

The French have also provided some battle reports for actions in progress as at midnight.
  • Of concern, the battle for Neufchatel en Bray is already over, with the 51st Inf Div retreating (although in good order) to Rouen, where there is a river line defence, though no solid defence in place yet.

• The Germans are also attacking Meaux, to the north-east of Paris, where the 10th Pz Div has almost overcome the defending French 21st Inf Div. That will give the Germans a second flank on Paris, although also over a river.

• But to the east of Paris, in Jouarre, the French are mounting a strong counter-attack against the 12th Pz Div, though its chances look about 50/50. And it risks diverting forces from the defence of Paris.

• And then we travel south to Sens, where the German 2nd Pz Div is attacking the French 24th Inf Div – and well on its way to winning that battle.
kh0Ndq.jpg

---xxx---

The Maginot Sector is looking a little better, though that may be because the Germans are reserving their main effort for Paris. Xertigny was lost earlier in the month, but the rest of this part of the line holds.

mJUaLR.jpg

The French appear to be putting in two counter-attacks here, but have either not made contact yet or the opposition is retreating before combat, which seems unlikely. 41st Inf Div is trying to retake the key centre of Troyes, while the 1st Inf Div attacks Xertigny, which both sides seem intent to hold.

yPZ9A2.jpg

---xxx---

The report on the air war in France over the last week tells its own tale. The bulk of the French Air Force is stationed in Paris in three Groups totalling seven wings of INT and TAC. A few of them are heavily damaged from recent air battles and attacks on Jouarre, where the French have been counter-attacking. To the south-east (off-map), another group of mixed aircraft types is based in Besancon and looks to have been contesting the skies over the Joigny salient.

gFuiTt.jpg

This is all looking pretty worrying, as the French head into a dangerous October.

---xxx---

Naval Report

All the recorded naval losses in the period 15-30 September were incurred by Italy! The Regia Marina has had a hard time of it, at the hands of the British Royal Navy. They have lost a battleship, two light cruisers, two troop transports and three submarine flotillas!

pxS1GI.jpg

The Giovanni dalle Bande Nere was an Italian light cruiser of the Giussano class. Her keel was laid down in 1928; she was launched on 27 April 1930, and her construction was completed in 1931. She displaced 6,571 tons at standard load and had a main armament of eight 152 mm (6 in) guns in four twin mountings. Sunk by the HMS Suffolk (CA) in September 1940.

FrBMzF.jpg

Bartolomeo Colleoni was another Italian Giussano class light cruiser. Laid down in June 1928; launched in December 1930 and commissioned on 10 February 1932. Same specifications as its sister ship, the Bande Nere, above. This picture was taken of the ship as it was sinking, downed at the hands of the HMS Queen Elizabeth (BB) in September 1940.

OoQqv2.jpg

Vittorio Veneto was the second member of the Littorio class battleships in the Italian Regia Marina (Royal Navy) that served during Great War II. The ship's keel was laid down in October 1934, launched in July 1937, and readied for service with the Italian fleet by August 1940. She was armed with a main battery of nine 381-millimeter (15.0 in) guns in three triple turrets, with a standard displacement of 41,376 tons. Seen here (foreground) firing in the engagement at which it was later sunk, in September 1940, with the HMS Cumberland (CA) claiming the final honours. This huge and modern battleship is by far the most significant Axis naval loss of the war so far. It did not even last two months after its launch!

---xxx---

North Africa

The Italians make slow progress, while the French forces remaining in Tunis (three HQs and a light mobile division of one CAV and one MOT brigade) remain in situ.

mIniY3.jpg

The Iraqis have overrun the Italians in eastern Libya and have a militia division surrounded in Bengasi.

HIEuiW.jpg

---xxx---

Far East

One week on from the last report (in Part 1) from the Far East, neither of the Japanese pincers threatening to cut off the bulk of the Soviets Far Eastern armies have closed yet (via Fevral’sk and Solnechny), but the Japanese are putting the squeeze on the Soviet 24th Army still in full retreat from its failed defence of Vladivostok. In one small victory, part of the salient from Manchuria has been pushed back by Soviet troops at Solov’evsk.

Z5Hk7u.jpg

And Japan and Manchukuo (with a number of Japanese units under command in Manchukuo colours) continue to spread through Mongolia and have reached Lake Bailkal, dividing Comintern forces to the north and south of it.

ZR5TwD.jpg

A bleak picture to be sure, but not as immediately dangerous or important as that in France.

---xxx---

Epilogue – Ankara, a Coffee Shop

Our two Foreign Ministry officials are back, sharing their habitual coffee and baklava, near the Ministry in Ankara. The first mentions a snippet of conversation he had recorded of President Inönü, talking to his Cabinet colleagues, after sentencing the traitors, given as he set off to the front to take command of the Turkish 1st Army in the Great Liberation War.

He reads from a speech of Inönü’s to his colleagues at the time. “’Now, for the front; the enterprise which shall be to you, as me, glorious. We doubt not of a fair and lucky war, since God so graciously has brought to light this dangerous treason lurking in our way, to hinder our beginnings. We doubt not now but every rub is smoothed on our way. Then forth, dear countrymen: let us deliver our puissance into the hand of God, putting it straight in expedition. Cheerily to the north; the signs of war advance: No President of Turkey, if not conqueror of Germany!’”

“So inspired, no doubt our armed forces were bound to stride manfully along the Path to Glory,” says the first official. Loudly, for the benefit of any of Kaya's listeners. “And I believe this struck some fear and consternation in our sausage-eating enemy!”

“And so it did, my good friend, so it did,” says the second official. “We have a report from our Soviet brethren of a meeting of the enemy leadership some time after the declaration of war on them by us and the Soviet Union. Our President had sent a demand he knew they would reject, but was determined to counter the insult offered by the bratwurst-purveying Deputy Führer Hess.”

“Oh really? Do tell!”

---xxx---

In late July, Adolf Hitler was meeting with Deputy Führer Rudolf Hess and Reichsmarschall des Grossdeutschen Reiches (Reich Marshal of the Greater German Reich) Hermann Goering in the Albert Speer-designed New Reich Chancellery (Reichskanzlei) in Berlin.

023Rdo.jpg

The New Reich Chancellery (Reichskanzlei) on the corner of Voßstraße and Wilhelmstraße in Berlin.

sia48Y.jpg

They gather in the New Reich Chancellery's Reich government chamber, with other advisers and counsellors.

YHsAhx.jpg

Hermann Wilhelm Göring (b.12 January 1893). A veteran Great War I fighter pilot ace, he was a recipient of the Pour le Mérite. He was the last commander of Jagdgeschwader 1, the fighter wing once led by Manfred von Richthofen. An early member of the Nazi Party, Göring was among those wounded in Adolf Hitler's failed Beer Hall Putsch in 1923. After holding very senior roles in the Nazi-led Government from 1933, on 19 July 1940 Hitler appointed him as Reich Marshal of the Greater German Reich. He is viewed at this time as the third most senior official in the Government, after Hitler and Hess.

---xxx---

Hitler speaks. “Thus come the Soviets and Turks with full power upon us and more than carefully we must answer to our defences. Therefore you, Hess, with all swift dispatch, ensure our means of war are in good repair, with men of courage and with means to defend in the East. For Turkey and the Soviets make their approaches as fierce as waters to the sucking of a gulf. It fits us then to be as provident as fear may teach us out of late examples left by the fatal and neglected Turks upon the field of battle.”

“My most redoubted Führer,” replies Hess. “It is most appropriate we arm us against the foe. For peace itself should not so dull the Reich. We will finish the French then teach the Communists a stern lesson. The Reich’s defences, musters and preparations will be maintained, assembled and collected. I say we should all go forth to view the sick and feeble Turkey: and let us do it with no show of fear; no, with no more than if we heard that Turkey were busied with a folk-dance. For, my good Führer, it is so idly led, by a vain, giddy, shallow, humorous ‘President’.”

“O peace, Hess!” interjects Göring. “You are too much mistaken in this Milli Şef. What report did your ambassadors provide when you moved to insult Inönü? With what great state he heard their embassy, how well supplied with noble counsellors, how modest in exception, and withal how terrible in constant resolution. You shall find his vanities and isolationism are things of the past.”

“Well, it’s not so, my Reichsmarschall des Grossdeutschen Reiches. But though we think it so, it does not matter: in cases of defence it is best to weigh the enemy more mighty than he seems: so the proportions of defence are filled.”

“I think Inönü strong,” states Hitler. “Look you strongly arm to meet him. And Stalin is bred out of that bloody strain that haunted us in during the Great War and carried out their Boshevik revolution. He was witness to our much memorable shame when Germany was betrayed and surrendered. The Allies mangled the work of nature and defaced the patterns set by Fate and by German fathers, these twenty years past.”

---xxx---

They are interrupted by a messenger, one of Hitler’s adjutants. He clicks his heels and salutes. “Mein Führer, we have a communique from the Turks!”

“We'll see it. Bring it to me.”

While the message is brought over, Hess fills the pause with an acerbic comment. “Coward dogs bark loudest when they seem to threaten. My good Führer, take up the Turks short and let them know of what a Reich you are the head: self-love, my Führer, is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting.” There is not much chance Hitler will disagree with such advice!

Hitler directs the messenger to give Inönü's communique to Hess, who he orders to read it aloud to the others.

Hess begins reading. “'In the name of God Almighty' Inönü says here, 'divest yourself and lay apart the borrowed glories that by gift of heaven, by law of nature and of nations, of that leadership of Germany that you have usurped and all wide-stretched honours that pertain by custom and the ordinance of times to the rule of Germany. That you may know this is no sinister nor awkward claim, picked from the worm-holes of long-vanished days, nor from the dust of old oblivion raked, I bid you then resign your leadership and Reich, unjustly held from the People, who through the Comintern are the native and true leaders of Germany.’”

“Or else what follows?” asks Hitler.

Hess skips to that part of the note that refers to the consequences of rejection. “’If you reject this demand, bloody constraint will follow. For if you hide even the pretension of Nazi dictatorship in your hearts, the Comintern will rake for it. Therefore, in fierce tempest we are coming, in thunder and in earthquake, like a Jove that, if you fail to comply, will compel. I bid you, deliver up the leadership to the Proletariat and take mercy on the poor souls for whom this hungry war opens his vast jaws on your head, turning the widows' tears, the orphans' cries, the dead men's blood, the pining maiden’s groans, for husbands, fathers and betrothed lovers, that shall be swallowed in this controversy. This is my claim, my threatening and my message.’”

“Is there more, Hess?” demands Hitler, now simmering with barely restrained rage.

“There is, my Führer, but I care not to read it!” Hess is clearly discomforted.

“Here, give it to me Hess,” says Göring, as he impatiently snatches the note and begins reading. “’To the Deputy Führer I expressly bring greeting too. To him, scorn and defiance; slight regard, and contempt I give. Thus I say if your Führer does not, in grant of all demands at large, sweeten the bitter mock you sent me, I will call you to so hot an answer of it, that the people in the streets and beer halls of Germany shall chide your trespass and return your mock to second my words. Dispatch your response with all speed, or I will come there myself to question your delay; for I am on my way to your land already.’”

“I did mock him with a consignment of bratwurst in match for the esteem in which we hold him,” confesses Hess.

“And I find no fault in you for doing so, Hess.” Hitler is now clearly infuriated with this missive from the ‘Milli Şef’. “This Inönü is clearly but a barking lap-dog to his master, Stalin, who is more worthy of our respect than this Turkish upstart. A Second Great War it will be then, but this time it will be the Reich that triumphs. It is our Destiny!”

“Heil Hitler!” call Hess and Göring as they salute in unison, to indicate their fulsome agreement. They and the rest of the Nazi regime apparatus head off to redouble the war effort that had originally been geared only to the invasion of France.

---xxx---

Coming Up: a hard year drags itself into October. Will the Battle of Senta end in victory – or will those Hungarian divisions reappear? Will France survive until the end of the month? Can Germany impose their Führer’s ‘Destiny’ on their old enemy? If they do, what will that mean for the Comintern in the East? And will the Soviets lose the bulk of their Far Eastern forces? If so, they will take a lot of replacing and the second front there will absorb men and resources they would rather apply to the Germans. The attacks on the north of the Yeniçeri Line are getting more substantial – can the Axis get sufficient forces together to actually punch a hole in it? It seems the time for any grand offensive to seize Budapest is some time off – with much of the Romanian Army off on other duties and the Soviets not sending the forces needed to support such an operation. For now, until the winter at least, Turkey is busy just helping the Romanians to hold their line. Will the Powers-that-Be like the new name for the tabloid rag they plan to publish on Republic Day? And will Vito Ceylan survive, will Ankara let Sonny loose and will Sonny be able to hold his temper? All this and more in forthcoming episodes.

I like the shift into Shakespearean rhyming couplets. Nimbly done. Almost there! It’s all a bit of a stalemate isn’t it in the various areas. I’m not seeing a German breakthrough. I think Herr Hitler has bitten off more than he can chew even with the cowardly Brits not committing a BEF

Loving it so far. I am so impressed at your strategic and tactical nous though and worried that I can bring my own military knowledge to bear in my HoI4 game playing as Republican Spain

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like the shift into Shakespearean rhyming couplets. Nimbly done. Almost there! It’s all a bit of a stalemate isn’t it in the various areas. I’m not seeing a German breakthrough. I think Herr Hitler has bitten off more than he can chew even with the cowardly Brits not committing a BEF

Loving it so far. I am so impressed at your strategic and tactical nous though and worried that I can bring my own military knowledge to bear in my HoI4 game playing as Republican Spain
Thanks once again - yes, you are rapidly gaining on me. :D Glad you appreciate that latest little Shakespearean flourish. Something in the story reminded me of Henry V, so I just went with the flight of fancy and did the old ‘modernised interpretation’ thing. Perhaps some subconscious influence from having seen that play live and on screen quite a few times. And others too, like Richard III set in a kind of modern Fascist Britain (1930s era vibe, starring Ian McKellen as the maligned and probably unfairly pilloried Richard), among others.

Reactions:
And others too, like Richard III set in a kind of modern Fascist Britain (1930s era vibe, starring Ian McKellen as the maligned and probably unfairly pilloried Richard), among others.
Definitely unfairly pilloried lol. But I would say that as a Ricardian :p

Reactions:
Definitely unfairly pilloried lol. But I would say that as a Ricardian :p
Same here on a light consideration. Tudor propaganda/fake news :D

Reactions:
Finally caught up, fully. Good stuff!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally caught up, fully. Good stuff!
Thanks so much - for the effort to get up to the present and the encouragement! :)

All: The next episode is in production and should be out soon: we will see whether France can make it through to the end of November still fighting and if the Axis have anything more to throw at us on the Eastern Front after the epic 3rd Battle of Ada.

And Vito Ceylon must bury poor, rash Sonny, another victim of the Secret War. Will there be a truce or escalated violence as a result? Only time will tell. ;)

Reactions:
Chapter 101: The Leaning Edifice of Bordeaux (26 to 30 November 1940)
Chapter 101: The Leaning Edifice of Bordeaux (26 to 30 November 1940)

Author’s Note: Each time I update one of my AARs, I want to kick on with it! But with the summary of Book Two coming out since the last (Centenary) chapter, I feel content Talking Turkey has not been neglected of late. I will try to step things up a bit with this (my first and still main) story but will see how that goes.

26 Nov 40 - An Ankara Coffee Shop

Enter our two intrepid Foreign Ministry officials. They are looking around even more nervously than usual. One inspects the large pot plant nearby to ensure there is no eavesdropper lurking therein, prodding it with his umbrella. Finding no-one, the two relax just slightly as they sit in a corner booth.

“So, my friend, exciting times at the front last week.”

“Yes, indeed. Though to which front do you refer? The battle at Ada, or the domestic front and those …” the second man lowers his voice to a whisper and leans across the table, “… those snoops from that fiend Kaya.”

The worry returns to his friend’s eyes. “Yes, all this rubbish about there being a ‘highly placed spy’ in the Ministry. Preposterous!”

“Rubbish, for certs! As if we would deal with some Iraqi amateur. I mean …” in a louder voice now, “… death to traitors, may they encounter the dreaded Red Butterfly in a dingy alley on a dark, moonless night!” The man is actually scared by his own utterance, and sips nervously at his coffee.

jCmNrK.jpg

“Let us turn to better things,” says the first official. “You have read the edited transcript of the radio log from the height of the 3rd Battle of Ada?”

“Oh yes, stirring stuff from our glorious Milli Şef. Our brave men showed those filthy sauerkraut-eaters and goulash-munchers what for, didn’t they?”

This is the record they were referring to:

Inönü (at HQ 1st Army): "Have the following message transmitted to the German commander of their last tiring formation in the field at Ada." [It is the dreaded Major General Busch of the 23rd Inf Div].

How yet resolves the commander of the Germans?
This is the latest parlay we will admit;
Therefore to our best mercy give yourselves;
Or like to men proud of destruction
Defy us to our worst: for, as I am a soldier,
A name that in my thoughts becomes me best,
If I begin the battery once again,
I will not leave the half-achieved Ada
Till in its ashes you lie buried.
The gates of mercy shall be all shut up,
And my veteran soldiers, rough and hard of heart,
In liberty of bloody hand shall range
With conscience wide as hell, mowing like grass
Your fresh-faced new recruits and your flagging kampfgruppen.

What is it then to me, if impious war,
Arrayed in flames like to the prince of fiends,
Do, with his smirched complexion, all fell feats
Enlinked to waste and desolation?
What is it to me, when you yourselves are cause,
If your new 88mm Flak guns fall into the hand
Of hot and forcing occupation?
What rein can hold greedy wickedness
When down the hill he holds his fierce career?
We may as bootless spend our vain command
Upon the enraged soldiers in their spoil
As send precepts to the leviathan
To come ashore.

Therefore, you commander of the 23rd,
Take pity on your unit and on your soldiers,
While yet my soldiers are in my command;
While yet the cool and temperate wind of grace
Overblows the filthy and contagious clouds
Of heady murder, spoil and villainy.
If not, why, in a moment look to see
The blind and bloody soldier with foul hand
Defile the stores of your shrill-shrieking logisticians;
Your quartermasters taken by their silver hair,
And their most reverend heads dashed against the walls,
Your unarmed medics spitted upon bayonets,
While the mad sergeants, with their howls confused, cry out
As their troopers are butchered by our bloody-hunting slaughtermen.
What say you? Will you yield, and this avoid,
Or, continuing in attack, be thus destroyed?

General Busch, HQ 23rd Inf Div:

Our expectation has this day an end:
The Deputy Führer, whom of succours we entreated,
Returns us that his powers are yet not ready
To complete so great an attack. Therefore, great President,
We yield our attack and lives to your soft mercy.
We would withdraw now under flag of truce;
For we are no longer able to sustain the assault.

Inönü to Busch:

Vacate the field then and we will trouble you no further this day.

Inönü to Alankup:

Come, General Alankup, remain in Ada for the night,
We will fortify it strongly against the Germans:
Use mercy to those enemy leaving the field all. For us, dear General,
The winter coming on and sickness growing
Upon your soldiers of the valiant 9th Infantry, you will retire to Ruma.
Tonight in Ada they will rest;
Tomorrow for the march you be addressed.

“Stirring stuff indeed, my friend. These Axis swine once again defeated by glorious Turkish arms.”

They both clink their coffee cups together, but still darting glances around in fear of Kaya’s ubiquitous Secret Police.

---xxx---

26 Nov 40 – A Funeral Parlour in Zurich

A phone rings. A Swiss man of Italian extraction picks it up and answers. “Bonasera Funerals, how may I assist you?”

“This is Tom Heygan from the Turkish Embassy. I'm calling for Vito Ceylan, at his request. Now - you owe the Ambassador a service. He has no doubt that you will repay it. Now - he will be at your funeral parlour in one hour. Be there to greet him.”

A short time later, Bonasera meets Vito in the basement of his premises.

“Well, my friend - are you ready to do me this service?” asks Vito, his face etched in sadness. He had once helped Bonasera out with a ‘delicate matter’ – involving blood and justice, of course.

“Yes. What do you want me to do?” Bonasera replies nervously.

“I want you to use all your powers, and all your skills. I don't want his mother to see him this way...”

vSYBGn.jpg

“Look how they massacred my boy.”

Back at the Embassy, Cennet has been released by Carlo Rizzi, as a token of good faith for the Turkey-Tattaglia peace talks that have been agreed, to occur in early December somewhere in neutral Switzerland. She had not been told anything about Sonny’s death by her captors, but has just been informed.

RIwybO.jpg

“No, no, no. First Vinnie, then Luca and now Sonny. And trying to kill our great Mustapha Kemal and then Uncle Ismet. These murderous scum can only be dealt with in one way. I will have my revenge!”

---xxx---

Back on the Yeniçeri Line, both sides were exhausted from the previous exertions around Ada, with no further significant actions being recorded that day. Just the usual probes, sniping, artillery exchanges, patrolling and skirmishes.

---xxx---

27 Nov 40

Another bleak report is received from French liaison at midnight. They edge closer to surrender, but the ‘Bordeaux Government’ still fights on. This map depicts the new front line (in red) and key French cities: green still in French hands, red in German. A few more and surrender will be inevitable.

muL6LV.jpg

At 3am, the fresh and veteran 15 Inf Div arrives in Ada. An hour later, the worn out 10 Inf Div reports it has made it to Kikinda safely, where its AA and AT brigades will (when reinforced and reorganised) bolster the defence there.

BE6mLm.jpg

6JKAVQ.jpg

10 Inf Div took a heavy pounding at Ada, suffering many casualties, but arrive in Kikinda on 27 November with their heads held high and their job well done.

LcUk8x.jpg

27 November 1940: the French Government in Bordeaux stages a supposedly morale-boosting military parade to show they remain in the fight. But for how much longer?

The photo was actually taken in Clermont-Ferrand, at the Place de Jaude on June 21, 1940. The French Government had temporarily relocated there, but the formal surrender followed soon after.

Some more good news from the Yeniçeri Line: the Soviets have now liberated Novi Sad from the goulash-eaters! This follows on the heels of the successful defence of Ada and will reinforce its flank.

dZ9p8Z.jpg

Late that night, Inönü cables the Soviets, changing the requested defensive objective from Ada, which is now well secured, to Novi Sad. He hopes the Soviets will now hold and reinforce the gain made there, taking a bit of pressure off the Yeniceri Line in that area.

28 Nov 40

Just after midnight, Inönü follows this up with a range of new requested Soviet defensive objectives further south on the Yeniceri Line, in what could become more vulnerable locations when anticipated Axis reinforcements come over from France. That area has seen no action at all since the Great Liberation War started on the 1st of June, but it may not stay quiet in coming weeks. He wishes to establish a greater Soviet presence in an area that has been stripped of Turkish reserves previously.

9nYD88.jpg

Uncannily, at 2am, the air raid alerts go off in Sabac: two wings of Italian TAC commence ground strikes. Do they have a spy listening into Comintern communications!? There is one Turkish and one Soviet division in place there. They establish a pattern of two raids per day, with 242 Comintern troops killed on the first day of attacks. Does this signal an impending attack there?

labGeh.jpg

29 Nov 40

Early that morning, Alankup’s battered but victorious 9 Inf Div arrives in Ruma for ‘R&R’ (reinforcement and reorganisation). Like the 10th recovering in Kikinda, they won’t be capable of any serious combat for a good while yet.

awmgEw.jpg

U3EhLT.jpg

29 November 1940: Tired but victorious soldiers of the Turkish 9 Inf Div march into Ruma to take up defensive positions – and lick their wounds.

The US are getting very diplomatically active: they have now embargoed the third of the major Axis powers. How will Japan react to this provocation, if at all?

zRTbNK.jpg

ECtWW9.jpg

Another 150 Comintern soldiers are killed in two air raids on Sabac, but no ground offensive commences. Perhaps it is a feint, or ‘harassing fire’?

30 Nov 40

Other than another two Italian air raids and 282 more casualties in Sabac, there is no further significant action to report on the Yeniçeri Line that day.

Naval Report

Once again, the bulk of the naval losses have been borne by Italy. We have no details, but there must have been a large naval engagement in the Med, perhaps an attempted Italian naval landing or troop convoy of some sort. British carrier power has dealt an already weakened Italian Navy a heavy blow, with the apparent cost of only one destroyer squadron, at the hands of the RM Giulio Cesare (BB). Two Soviet sub flotillas have been sunk (bringing their total losses to five). In addition to the major fleet units detailed below, the Italians lost two more destroyer squadrons (making a total of 11 lost) and seven transports (now 16 sunk). It appears the British have tangled with the Germans again, somewhere in the Atlantic – perhaps a convoy raid.

kIvxVZ.jpg

The Gorizia (seen here firing, apparently in the engagement in which it was sunk) and the Pola were members of the Zara class of heavy cruisers. The Gorizia was laid down in March 1930, was launched in December that year and was commissioned into the fleet in December 1931. The Pola was laid down in March 1931, launched in December that year and was commissioned in December 1932. Armed with a main battery of eight 8-inch (200 mm) guns, 11,527t (standard load). The Gorizia was sunk by HMS Eagle (CVL) and the Pola by the HMS Furious (CV) in November 1940.

uLHz0C.jpg

The Italian heavy cruiser San Giorgio (seen here firing its secondary armament) was the name ship of her class of two armored cruisers built for the Italian Regia Marina in the first decade of the 20th century. Rebuilt in 1937–38, she received a modern anti-aircraft suite. Main armament of 4 x 254mm (10 in) guns in twin turrets and secondary armament of 8 x 190mm (7.5in) guns in twin turrets. Standard displacement of 10,167t. The San Giorgio was also sunk by the HMS Furious (CV) in November 1940.

aoIV6M.jpg

Littorio was the lead ship of her class of battleship. Littorio and her sister ship Vittorio Veneto (sunk earlier this year) were Italy's first modern battleships, built in response to the French battleships Dunkerque and Strasbourg. Littorio was laid down in October 1934, launched in August 1937, and completed in May 1940. Standard displacement 40,723t; main armament 9 x 381mm (15in) guns in triple turrets. Complement of 1,830-1,950 men. Sunk by the HMS Devonshire (CA) in November 1940 - another very significant loss for the Italian Navy.

HDlRAI.jpg

HMS Ramillies was one of five Revenge-class battleships built for the Royal Navy during Great War I. Laid down on 12 November 1913, launched on 12 June 1916 and commissioned on 1 September the same year. She was completed after the Battle of Jutland in 1916 and saw no combat during the First Great War. Standard displacement of 30,400t, crew of 936, main armament of 8 x 15in (381mm) guns in twin turrets. Sunk by the German heavy cruiser Graf Spee in November 1940.

France

The month ends with France still in the fight – just barely. They have at least soaked up German effort until near the end of their ‘Destiny’ effect [which runs out on 5 December]. A great pity they couldn’t have survived it in a better position. In one last defiant – but no doubt futile – gesture, they have completed the conquest of Sardinia! Given their desperate situation, the French have done well to lose only the ground depicted below since the month began. It partly reflects the relative scarcity of German units facing them … which may have been stoppable, if not for the by now infamous non-appearance of the BEF.

VOVnkI.jpg

The French Government, gathered in Bordeaux since the fall of Paris earlier in the month, can only console themselves in the traditional way.

UlXVW9.jpg

This drop needs a few more years before it will be at its best. Alas, by then it is likely to be the filthy Boche quaffing it. Even in these desperate times, the Frenchmen cannot bring themselves to open it too early. Merde!

Although they feel like opening that bottle when they receive the latest refusal from the British Government to offer them any material aid.

u0YoBh.jpg

His Majesty’s Loyal Government – Chamberlain still in charge. Lord El Pip lets Turkey’s Ambassador in London know he supports this lack of action, but not many others in France or Turkey (including Persephonee, who talks up Churchill at every opportunity) share the same opinion. Time will tell whether this British inaction will prove craven and disastrous or masterful.

A closer look at the northern sector in France shows yawning gaps in the French lines. The end would surely have come sooner were not the Germans so thinly spread.

G1aVDk.jpg

The centre is more strongly held but is under heavy pressure from a thin but steely wall of German panzer divisions.

9EycwM.jpg

While in the south, the once strongly held line against the Italians had been stripped bare. The back-stabbers have now broken through and the French are scrambling to contain it, while the Germans approach from the north. Catastrophe!

ojd92e.jpg

North Africa

The front line in Tunisia stands where it did at the beginning of the month. In Libya, the Allied (Iraqi) advance has slowed right down.

T4XgZZ.jpg

In Tunisia, an earlier advance by an Italian militia division has been counter-attacked by a small French motorised force.

j7gmZw.jpg

And in eastern Libya, only two Iraqi divisions now contest the front line.

oABkqh.jpg

Eastern Front

Recent reports have made the situation in the Turkish sector very clear. Inönü looks over the monthly report on the rest of the front, to see what the key gains and losses have been. As usual, overall a balance of give and take.

dxI7U9.jpg

What this will look like in a month or two, with almost certain redeployments by the Axis from France, remains of grave concern to Comintern planners. They hope that as German thoughts of ‘Destiny’ meet the harsh realities of winter and the mud of spring, their ability to conduct offensives will be hampered. How long before the great industrial and manpower reserves of the Soviets can be fully brought to bear? As yet, an imponderable question.

Picking out a few hotspots, he notes the much fought-over terrain between Königsberg, Memel and Gumbinnen has again reverted to German control. It looks like the Germans have defeated the Soviet defenders in Gumbinnen itself and are advancing, but a Soviet relief column from the north may contest it with them. Of course, what may happen when the Germans have panzer divisions available to counter the current preponderance of Soviet armour remains a moot point.

zNmIfg.jpg

On the central Polish front, during the course of the month a wide advance has been made east of Krakow, where the Axis lines still look quite thin. While a deeper breakthrough would be welcome, experience shows the Germans are likely to plug the gaps before that happens. Though one can hope, and it makes a good diversion, anyway.

0ygBBn.jpg

i25Hdx.jpg

Soviet troops on the attack in eastern Poland, late November 1940.

But in the Hungary-Romania sector, the see-saw advance and counter-advance cycle continues. Hungary regained the VP city of Kosice from the Soviets and then pressed on but are now themselves falling back to that city under pressure [cue another Queen song]. The Romanians are again mustering their forces and have regained some border territory.

d24Cbo.jpg

Far East

All remaining pockets on the eastern Soviet seaboard were occupied by the Japanese during November, but their rate of advance is generally slowing, except in Mongolia, where they press forward.

boAOH9.jpg

---xxx---

And there ends the pivotal month of November in this Global Great War. The Soviets are not yet approaching their full potential and are hampered by the major Japanese attack in the Far East. But they have so far held well against the infantry-led German Army in the east and have, in partnership with Turkey and Romania, weathered the worst of the initial German enthusiasm for their destiny. The Comintern will welcome the winter as a time to defend and bleed the Axis on all fronts as best they can. Turkish arms performed reasonably well and managed to reform the line when it came under threat from repeated heavy attacks by the Axis. But the impending fall of France is likely to change much. 1941 promises to be a tough year.

---xxx---

Coming Up:
The world watches on in either horror or anticipation – but certainly in fascination – as France slowly succumbs to the wolves and hyenas that tear at its flanks. What will the repercussions be for Britain? And for the Comintern defending on the Eastern Front? Will the US drift more strongly into support for the Allies, and thus the anti-Fascist war effort? With Sonny buried and Kelebek making his way back to Europe, what immediate course will Vito Ceylan take in the secret war that has cost both sides now so much - peace or revenge?

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Great update. Amazing that the French held on so long!

Reactions:
Things are looking bleak for France. Thought not as bleak as they for Cennet, if she tries to take her revenge she is just going to get herself killed - surely by now she's twigged by now that Turkish intelligence training is fairly ropey. Vito will have his work cut out trying to talk her out of it and I don't fancy his chances, she is heading for an early grave.

Reactions:
The problem with winter is it would also slow down any advances the Soviets tried to make. Allowing Germany to finish off France and move those Panzers east. And Japan looks huge.

Reactions:
Things are looking bleak for France. Thought not as bleak as they for Cennet, if she tries to take her revenge she is just going to get herself killed - surely by now she's twigged by now that Turkish intelligence training is fairly ropey. Vito will have his work cut out trying to talk her out of it and I don't fancy his chances, she is heading for an early grave.
Indeed, Cennet is young and grief-stricken. But she is not the hot-head Sonny was and will follow the Ambassador's orders. It will be up to Vito to work out what comes next, though I think his short-term intentions are clear. As for the long-term ... he does enjoy certain dishes to be cold ;)
The problem with winter is it would also slow down any advances the Soviets tried to make. Allowing Germany to finish off France and move those Panzers east. And Japan looks huge.
True, but I think the Comintern have probably written France off by now. Had the Capitalists banded together more strongly, they may have still been in a defensible position. The best thing now - from Turkey's perspective anyway - would be for a strong defence for the next few months as the Soviet war machine continues to build. As for Japan, they continue to be a problem, it will be interesting to see how far they are prepared to push east ... it will take a lot of their war effort to maintain such a large and distant offensive going.

If the US enter the war and actually do something (by no means certain, or even likely, I know) it should have a dampening effect. But there are a bunch of unanswered questions in there. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens and am prepared for surprises! I really thought at first we might have been able to save France, but alas it was not to be so. The Yeniçeri Line could still be cracked open if the Axis concentrates there, but it won't fold without a fight.

Reactions:
The old professor hobbles out from behind rows of bookshelves, dust, cobwebs and sits at a table covered with uneven stacks of tomes that frame his wrinkled-face; Turkey? Clever...clever that plan. New bird in the East....thin the West...slow the clock...France remains...Yanks embargo? = Tora x3. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have to say, I really do appreciate the back and forth poetry over the battle of Ada...

I'm still looking forward to Cennet's revenge plans... somehow I don't believe that Turkish intelligence is ready for peace...

Winter or no winter, France is doomed now... The winter could slow down the redeployment of Panzers to the Eastern front, time is in favour of the Comintern, and the stout French defence bought us a significant amount of time at full wartime production levels.

That's great news about the Italian Capital ships getting sunk... soon, even the Turkish Navy will be able to survive trips into the Mediterranean.

I'm really liking the Red Army advance towards Krakow, that should rattle some Wehrmacht commanders...

I'm also glad the Far Eastern front seems to be stabilising, though it still looks bad. Let's hope the Japs soon start fighting some other powers in the Pacific;). As said by @markkur trouble is brewing in the pacific, and the US Embargo certainly isn't calming things down.

OOC: Small question, how do you get the old front line on your screenshots, do you redraw it? I've tried lining up screenshots from different in-game times, but it's quite tricky as I found it near impossible to reproduce the same exact zoom level, and then I would have to re-scale both screenshots in Gimp and line them up, which is really fiddly to get right, and it also take ages... The only reliable way I found to get the same screenshot at different dates is to take the world map, but then you really can't see the details... All right, I figured it out, I never noticed this Battle-plan feature allowed you to draw your own plans on the map...

Reactions:
A phone rings. A Swiss man of Italian extraction picks it up and answers. “Bonasera Funerals, how may I assist you?”

Python gallows humour there.

The month ends with France still in the fight – just barely. They have at least soaked up German effort until near the end of their ‘Destiny’ effect [which runs out on 5 December]. A great pity they couldn’t have survived it in a better position. In one last defiant – but no doubt futile – gesture, they have completed the conquest of Sardinia!

They did their duty and filled their Paradox destiny of being an excellent meat shields for the PC country to hide behind. Now Germany has fewer troops than ever, lost its stat boosts, and has to contend with the fact that Italy is losing ground in its own fronts and they have to help them out too.

Given their desperate situation, the French have done well to lose only the ground depicted below since the month began. It partly reflects the relative scarcity of German units facing them … which may have been stoppable, if not for the by now infamous non-appearance of the BEF.

I suppose so. But its still a good sign that the Germans were struggling to find the men to attack France faster. It means their movement to the east shouldn't be too bad. If Russia cant stop japan though, things are going to go south fast back east.

...yeah that makes sense.

Reactions:
I have to say, I really do appreciate the back and forth poetry over the battle of Ada...

I'm still looking forward to Cennet's revenge plans... somehow I don't believe that Turkish intelligence is ready for peace...

Winter or no winter, France is doomed now... The winter could slow down the redeployment of Panzers to the Eastern front, time is in favour of the Comintern, and the stout French defence bought us a significant amount of time at full wartime production levels.

That's great news about the Italian Capital ships getting sunk... soon, even the Turkish Navy will be able to survive trips into the Mediterranean.

I'm really liking the Red Army advance towards Krakow, that should rattle some Wehrmacht commanders...

I'm also glad the Far Eastern front seems to be stabilising, though it still looks bad. Let's hope the Japs soon start fighting some other powers in the Pacific;). As said by @markkur trouble is brewing in the pacific, and the US Embargo certainly isn't calming things down.

OOC: Small question, how do you get the old front line on your screenshots, do you redraw it? I've tried lining up screenshots from different in-game times, but it's quite tricky as I found it near impossible to reproduce the same exact zoom level, and then I would have to re-scale both screenshots in Gimp and line them up, which is really fiddly to get right, and it also take ages... The only reliable way I found to get the same screenshot at different dates is to take the world map, but then you really can't see the details... All right, I figured it out, I never noticed this Battle-plan feature allowed you to draw your own plans on the map...
Thanks for those comments and I think you have summarised the various situations pretty accurately - at least with similar views to the Turkish high command. I’ll go through them in more detail in a combined feedback response in a little while. :)

For the OOC question: I experimented with a few different ways of doing those over time, some using the game’s battle map effects, some other simple graphics overlayed. In the end I stuck with the game tools for the front lines. And for the current phase of combat, I redraw the line at the beginning of each month. It seems a bit ‘mandraulic’, as you basically do a little province border - or less if it is curvy - at a time, but it doesn’t end up taking too much time, especially if the border isn’t changing too much (you’re then deleting a few little sections and drawing in new ones).

One reason I went with the in-game lines was they’re easy enough to draw and you can do it straight on the border then don’t have to redraw them on every screen shot anew. And they are scaleable - useable in close-ups if you want them, easy to turn off if you don’t. I have eventually settled on the second narrowest dotted line, as it’s clearer when you pan way back out. I’m gradually converting the lines to that thickness across the maps.

Another thing I find them useful for is in-game monitoring of changes in possession on fronts you don’t own. For example, I’d leave them on to track German progress on the French front - especially if I was keeping an eye out for something like the fall of Paris, their rate of advance elsewhere, etc. And finally, as I did with the China-Japan War way back when, you can use the different colours to mark ‘tidal lines’ in a broad advance if you wanted to do that over more than one time-lapse period. As you are hoping Odin won’t have to heading east in your Soviet AAR! ;)

Reactions: