• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Karaduman wilted under the heavy gaze of the figure. He was wearing...wait, what? Was that a cloak or a coat or...a wing? Suddenly he was far more nervous than even the situation at hand merited.
"Walk this way," the figure indicated, and Karaduman suddenly found himself outside of the door and indeed, outside of the building.

"Wait...wha-"

"You think too much, you Turks. Often have I wondered why I have...am...developing an interest in this version of you people."

"This version? Who are you? Who do you work for? What's even your clearance to know all those things?"

The figure halted. Well, it seemed like it had always been stationary, despite it just having seemed like it was always moving alongside him. "This is Turkey is it not? The one that cannot decide its name or ultimate purpose? The one with...Springtime for Hitler?"

"Yes. Why, which other country is-?"

"Not other country. This country. Well, this country somewhere else. I suppose you may call me Kelebek if you are a Turk."

"Kelebek?" Karaduman said involuntary, his incredulity temporarily and terrifyingly overwhelming his sense of self-preservation.

"Careful," said Kelebek. "People tend to immolate when they say it too often. So does paper actually. It's why they go in for all sorts of names. Darth Kelebek...Kelebek on its own, Lucifer, Mr. Sin. Some even say TBC though that is not technically correct. But you didn't ask for a lecture on such aspects of things beyond your comprehension. Let it just remain unsaid that I am very old, very evil and very scary."

"But you just said it..."

Kelebek sighed. "Look, hold this will you?"

Karaduman instinctively grabbed what was handed to him and had time to adopt a look of surprise before he turned into energy and vanished.

Some years later, a few backpackers found an old, happy, fat Turk tending to a kitten farm in Tahiti. They were received warmly but did not understand much of what he said. 'Take this' however was repeated a lot. 'God bless the devil' they understood to be a mistranslation.

Honestly, the whole thing would never have happened was it not for the IRS that requested their master's help. I doubt Kelebek would have demeaned itself on this task otherwise, unless it was planning to severely punish Calistar and BJ at some point and this was just one step in that plan.

Also, the Italians and Hungarians focusing on Romanian lands rather than yours is a good thing. Means they are planning on invading there like we thought. And the latest bit of German aggression makes going to war that much closer and harder for the allies.

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Hoping for some French Carrier technology?

Well Persia went a lot better than expected, that's great,you will be done with those pesky Persians in a jiffy...
:) Anything really - some aircraft or tank tech would be nice ... one can dream.

Reactions:
Karaduman wilted under the heavy gaze of the figure. He was wearing...wait, what? Was that a cloak or a coat or...a wing? Suddenly he was far more nervous than even the situation at hand merited.
"Walk this way," the figure indicated, and Karaduman suddenly found himself outside of the door and indeed, outside of the building.

"Wait...wha-"

"You think too much, you Turks. Often have I wondered why I have...am...developing an interest in this version of you people."

"This version? Who are you? Who do you work for? What's even your clearance to know all those things?"

The figure halted. Well, it seemed like it had always been stationary, despite it just having seemed like it was always moving alongside him. "This is Turkey is it not? The one that cannot decide it's name or ultimate purpose? The one with...Springtime for Hitler?"

"Yes. Why, which other country is-?"

"Not other country. This country. Well, this country somewhere else. I suppose you may call me Kelebek if you are a Turk."

"Kelebek?" Karaduman said involuntary, his incredulity temporarily and terrifyingly overwhelming his sense of self-preservation.

"Careful, said Kelebek. "People tend to immolate when they say it too often. So does paper actually. It's why they go in for all sorts of names. Darth Kelebek...Kelebek on its own, Lucifer, Mr. Sin. Some even say TBC though that is not technically correct. But you didn't ask for a lecture on such aspects of things beyond your comprehension. Let it just remain unsaid that I am very old, very evil and very scary."

"But you just said it..."

Kelebek sighed. "Look, hold this will you?"

Karaduman instinctively grabbed what was handed to him and had time to adopt a look of surprise before he turned into energy and vanished.

Some years later, a few backpackers found an old, happy, fat Turk tending to a kitten farm in Tahiti. They were received warmly but did not understand much of what he said. 'Take this' however was repeated a lot. 'God bless the devil' they understood to be a mistranslation.

Honestly, the whole thing would never have happened was it not the IRS that requested their master's help. I doubt Kelebek would have demeaned itself on this task otherwise, unless it was planning to severely punish Calistar and BJ at some point and this was just one step in that plan.

Also, the Italians and Hungarians focusing on Romanian lands rather than yours is a good thing. Means they are planning on invading there like we thought. And the latest bit of German aggression makes going to war that much closer and harder for the allies.
:D Like Luca Brasi, the occasional appearance in the real alternate world is necessary to build the myth/legend. I liked the Tahiti touch - the psychic link is working well, as I saw Karaduman not being crassly killed, but languishing in some obscure prison somewhere far away, broken and never really knowing what had happened to him. Tahiti is indeed a long way away, and a prison one carries around with oneself will indeed be difficult to escape from. :eek: For a second, I imagined him saying "Hodor" to passersby ... ;)

I think at this point the Hungarians are probably more worried about being attacked by Romania than wanting to attack them. And perhaps those extra Italian divisions are lining up along the French border ... time will tell.

Reactions:
:D Like Luca Brasi, the occasional appearance in the real alternate world is necessary to build the myth/legend. I liked the Tahiti touch - the psychic link is working well, as I saw Karaduman not being crassly killed, but languishing in some obscure prison somewhere far away, broken and never really knowing what had happened to him. Tahiti is indeed a long way away, and a prison one carries around with oneself will indeed be difficult to escape from. :eek: For a second, I imagined him saying "Hodor" to passersby ... ;)

I think at this point the Hungarians are probably more worried about being attacked by Romania than wanting to attack them. And perhaps those extra Italian divisions are lining up along the French border ... time will tell.

I'm basically using your AAR as a Petri dish to grow and develop my myths before inserting it fully formed into Empire. I think this version of turkey is just where Kelebek spends his holidays on occasion. He's been searching for the right place for a long time. If I ever get to Stellaris, he'll find it. And at least now I have a way to actually have sunset invasion in my work without it appearing complete ahistrocial.

I think Italy attacking France and Hungary being afraid to do anything without Axis support is a good thing and probably the best we could have hoped for. We've speculated on this before but if Italy gets bogged down in France and Africa and Germany skips straight to Russia, you can cock up Barbarossa by invading and defeating Hungary and then invading Germany when the cat's away. Would be a very funny end to see Berlin taken by the Turkish a few years into the war!

Reactions:
... you can cock up Barbarossa by invading and defeating Hungary and then invading Germany when the cat's away. Would be a very funny end to see Berlin taken by the Turkish a few years into the war!
One can dream :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Awful light tank tech! Slow slog through the mud! Sith! Corruption festering in the heart of Turkey! Iran still being called Persia (despite the name change happening in 1935) due to lazy and incompetent Swedes!

Truly an update that had everything.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Awful light tank tech! Slow slog through the mud! Sith! Corruption festering in the heart of Turkey! Iran still being called Persia (despite the name change happening in 1935) due to lazy and incompetent Swedes!

Yes, there was so much to pack into a full month of not-very-rapid-but-still-aggressive warfare that Persephonee's presentation on the new national name had to be deferred to the next instalment!

I keep referring to it as Persia in-game for continuity, but it also suits the 'chaldiran' narrative of old Turkish-Persian rivalries. I did let that newspaper headline run - interestingly it used both forms. Probably as there would have plenty of people still used to the old title and not yet used to or willing to use Iran. A bit like Myanmar and Burma today.

I just roll with the punches but also appreciate your dedication to accuracy and basic research. Pity they couldn't just crowd source historical research from the community and just do a simple patch (free) for HOI3 for old time's sake. I know someone has probably modded that (HPP - I haven't delved into it yet), but, well ...

Ps: and change 'futher' to 'further' while they were at it :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions:

Well it is turkey calling them that. I would call racism/national rival to explain that. And a little bit of ignorance, the same that saw the Ottomans being called Turks interchangeably no matter where in the empire they were referring to (cos it's all the same innit?).

• 1Haha
Reactions:
... the same that saw the Ottomans being called Turks interchangeably no matter where in the empire they were referring to (cos it's all the same innit?).
This will be rectified in the new political system and name change mooted a-forehand. Yes <he says, rhetorically imagining guffaws of disbelief among the ardent New-Namers out there>, it really has been worked out. I guarantee you'll all simply love it (Luca Brasi will be doing a 'speaking tour' to encourage any doubters to come on board :confused:;):oops:). Even Uncle Joe Stalin should be mollified and allow us into the Comintern (lucky us).

Reactions:
This will be rectified in the new political system and name change mooted a-forehand. Yes <he says, rhetorically imagining guffaws of disbelief among the ardent New-Namers out there>, it really has been worked out. I guarantee you'll all simply love it (Luca Brasi will be doing a 'speaking tour' to encourage any doubters to come on board :confused:;):oops:). Even Uncle Joe Stalin should be mollified and allow us into the Comintern (lucky us).
Nice to see you aren't hyping this up at all...

Reactions:
Nice to see you aren't hyping this up at all...
I'm actually anticipating more catcalls from the cheap seats, so am going in early, hard and dirty, masked by glib propaganda and positive-sounding spin. Pretty much as I conceive this alt hist Turkish government of 1938 - who employ Luca Brasi, Braanszon Guildenstern, Vito Corleone's Turkish twin as an Ambassador to their only ally, etc. Not to mention welcoming characters like Darth Kelebek into their domestic security apparatus!

But no, it's all noble and necessary conquest and subjugation for the Global Greater Good and the Glory of Turkey. Ends, means ... whatever ;). Gotta keep IC, just gotta :D

Reactions:
:) Anything really - some aircraft or tank tech would be nice ... one can dream.
Since you're so behind, <imo> you have a good chance to hit something that you really need. A couple of rounds of Industry and Supply advances would also be quite nice. Hopefully you'll not be getting CV - AA or Strat-techs. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 46: ‘An Army of Lions’ (1 to 16 June 1938)
Chapter 46: ‘An Army of Lions’ (1 to 16 June 1938)

Prologue: 1 Jun 38 (D+44)

“I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.”
Alexander the Great

And so, treading in the footsteps of Alexander the Great, we see the modern-day soldiers of his old foe, Persia, fighting bravely now they are cornered. But the feckless Shah (Sheep) of Persia and his high command have let them down badly. The time to fight was in the mountains of north-west Iran, when mud had slowed our advance down, the front was narrower and the terrain suited the defence.

But now, as the Shah’s army is brought to battle on the plains of central Iran and at the head of Persian Gulf, they are caught in the open, attacked by Turkey’s most powerful and elite units. Alexander’s words are as true today as they were over 2000 years ago. As we resume the narrative in ‘The Path to Glory’ (with a new acting editor now that Propaganda Chief Karaduman has been spirited away, blamed for BJ Guildenstern’s embezzlement), the Turkish Army approaches Tehran in the centre and Ahvaz on the Persian Gulf. The mettle of the Shah’s army is about to be sternly tested. How will they fare?

2 Jun 38 (D+45)

1 Mtn Div (Muzir) joins 3 Cav Div (Toüdemür) in Abhar, west of Tehran, just after midnight. Both formations are ordered to hold. The plan is to await the arrival of 2 Mtn Div, then all head south-east towards the VP objective of Esfahan, leaving Tehran for the main body of 1st Corps to tackle (the by-now renowned ‘capital city-busters’ of 1, 3 and 5 Inf Divs). By 1500 that day 2 Mtn Div (Türkes) arrives and all three divisions of the advance guard are ordered to advance on the mountains of Oom. It is as yet unoccupied, but a Persian infantry division can be seen heading towards it from Tehran.

eEX7Tx.jpg

Diplomatically, the gloves are off: Germany is now directly seeking to influence Turkish official and public opinion. The thin veneer of diplomatic civility that has existed until now is laid bare as we start to get genuinely close to Comintern alignment (another 36 points would bring us below the 50 point distance threshold for joining the Soviets).

ESA5ca.jpg

At this point, Calistar receives permission to buy Soviet style uniforms, helmets, light vehicles and so on, which will be used to re-equip the Turkish Army after the war in Persia finishes. This will demonstrate solidarity with our Russian brothers and sisters and ensure there is no confusion on the battlefield should we find ourselves fighting side-by-side in the future. And they have such large quantities we will be able to re-badge our comparatively small army ‘on the cheap’. [Ed: given I have pretty much run out of any decent pictures of Turkish troops of around WW2 vintage to use for battle illustrations, this will allow me to use pictures of Soviet troops in the future without it being an obvious discontinuity. I think this cosmetic change is realistic enough given the game circumstances: in OTL the Turks eventually went with US-patterned equipment later when they aligned to the Allies.]

3 Jun 38 (D+46)

Ögel reports the Shah has assembled his troops for the defence of his capital. Our agents have found it very easy to infiltrate the city. The have provided pictures of Persian units marching into their defensive positions. We understand the Shah remains in his palace, but an increase of smoke coming from its chimneys and those of key Ministries around the city indicates the destruction of key documents. They clearly don’t expect they can hold the city for long. The Shah will almost certainly evacuate the city and continue the resistance should the city fall.

Q3QJXN.jpg

Turkish agents have reported that a single division - the Persian 3rd Infantry
(elements pictured here at around midday on 3 Jun 38) is entrenched in the province
of Tehran, well to the west of the city. The 1st Army Group HQ is in Tehran
itself.

By 1900 that day, 1, 3 and 5 Inf Divs arrive in Abhar. They join up with 7 Inf Div (temporarily detached from 2nd Corps to support the attack) and immediately continue the advance on Tehran.

YVr1kj.jpg

4 Jun 38 (D+47)

Battle is joined immediately after midnight on the western borders of Tehran’s province (to the west of the city itself). Although the enemy is entrenched and will fight hard, they are badly outnumbered. They have too few troops defending to hold off four crack Turkish divisions under one of our best commanders (MAJGEN Namut).

R3rfd0.jpg

Ngv6Em.jpg

Persian field artillery supports the defence of Tehran.

5 Jun 38 (D+48)

By 0500, the Persian defenders are in a bad way, taking heavy casualties and rapidly losing organisation. At 1100, the battle is won. The Persians break, although it will take some time to reach the capital itself given the distances involved and the poor going. Turkish casualties were moderate, but the Persians have suffered one of the heaviest casualty counts of a Turkish opponent in a single battle since the start of recently concluded New Balkan War in March 1937, in only a day and a half. As Alexander said, they fought like lions, but were led by sheep!

L4je7E.jpg

That evening, 7 Inf Div is diverted back to 2nd Corps supporting objectives and ordered to Oom, allowing 1, 3 and 5 Divs to continue towards Tehran (and brush aside any other Persian forces that may be foolish enough to try to slip in and defend it before we can arrive). They will reinforce the lighter advance guard cavalry and mountain formations already on their way there, if needed.

6 Jun 38 (D+49)

At 1600, the advance guard engages the enemy 2nd Division, which has just arrived in Oom from Tehran. It had retreated there from Abhar last month, when it was defeated by the same Turkish advance guard units it is up against again. It has not yet fully recovered its organisation from that fight and is not entrenched, so despite the mountain terrain, its defence looks doomed as Muzir takes charge of the assault (which includes two mountain divisions, sent for this very purpose).

2dgzbb.jpg

YCNOtx.jpg

Persian 2nd Division troops arrive in Oom, hastily trying to
establish defensive lines. Their prospects are not good.

7 Jun 38 (D+50)

Sure enough, the Persian defence breaks at 0100, after a short fight. 31 Turkish soldiers are killed, while the Persians lose 177.

8 Jun 38 (D+51)

3 Cav Div arrives in Oom at 0400, while further north-west HQ 2 Corps assembles in Qorveh. The latter keeps moving forward to Zanjan, where it will fill the last gap in the line of provinces holding the northern front from Tabriz to Tehran. No further advances will be made along that line, while 1st and 2nd Corps units to the south push on to take the last two Operation Chaldiran VP objectives of Esfahan in the centre (south of Tehran), and Bushehr on the Persian Gulf. Meanwhile, 3 Cav Div will continue the advance on Esfahan via Arak.

GCi4IG.jpg

9 Jun 38 (D+52)

News arrives of another minor revolt in the Former Yugoslavia, this time in Gostivar (between Tirana and Skopje). The independent 2/1 Cav Bde is dispatched from Beograd to sort this out. Given the current commander’s recent close call with Luca Brasi, the Supreme Command is not expecting any undue delays in prosecuting the necessary security operations!

At 0500, 1 & 2 Mtn Divs arrive in Oom. Muzir takes 1 Mtn Div east to the hill province of Kashan, while Türkes’ 2 Mtn Div follows 3 Cav Div south into the plains of Arak. It will be a race between all these units to see which can reach Esfahan first (and to defeat any garrison they may find there).

0Jjv8l.jpg

11 Jun 38 (D+54)

In the late morning, Wehib Pasha’s famous 1 Cav Div occupies the Persian Gulf objective of Ahvaz. He wastes no time in heading south to secure the next VP objective of Bushehr, via the port city of Behbehan. 15 Inf Div will follow up to garrison Ahvaz, which is where Persia’s oil field is located (40 crude oil and 10 energy when at full capacity).

IKcIy9.jpg

13 Jun 38 (D+56)

A periodic check of intel shows there has been no attrition of our spy network in France (10 active), with 8 still in reserve. Counter-espionage in France is reduced further to just 1/3 (French c-e strength is still only listed as 2/10). We are yet to receive any tech plans from this, but remain hopeful.

14 Jun 38 (D+57)

Late in the night, the main body of 1st Corps rolls into Tehran and occupies the enemy’s capital. The Shah and his Government have fled a few days before.

h4H31C.jpg

zscGrT.jpg

Sepah Square, Tehran, in early 1938, shortly before the Turkish Army took up residence.
The streets remain calm, with the Shah, his Government and Army having left some
days before, towards the mountains that can been seen in the distance.

15 Jun 38 (D+58)

Officer strength is now up to 111%, but with a range of new ground units due to arrive during the rest of 1938, this will fall again, so officer training is kept as a high priority. It is one of the few things we can do to help offset our poor equipment and doctrine capacities. Manpower stands at 55, but there are plans for the production of more defensive ground units over the next year or so. First, to ensure the Calistar Line and key Turkish ports can be held for a protracted period; and second, if resources permit, a possible similar (though less heavily fortified and manned) line to be held at Athens and Patra to defend the Peloponnese. That would also probably require another transport fleet to be built, in case a rapid evacuation was required should it not hold off the Axis assault.

xMLMKJ.jpg

At midday, Gataly (commanding 15 Inf Div) reports his troops have arrived in Dezful and are on their way to Ahvaz, to secure the key VP and oil field objective.

16 Jun 38 (D+59)

A new artillery brigade is produced and deployed in Istanbul. It will gradually be developed into a new infantry division as further units come on line, either for the Calistar Line, the proposed ‘Motherland Reserve Corps’ (which will be formed to provide a response to any Axis naval landings behind the Calistar Line or an in extremis reserve should it look like failing) or even the possible defence of southern Greece. The latter option, mentioned a few times in this chronicle previously, is popular with strategists who would like to hold Athens – a valuable city in its own right – and for the additional diversion of Axis troops it might provide, drawing away from both the Calistar Line and an attack on the Soviet Union. Anything that might occupy the Axis and hopefully cause way more casualties than we are likely to sustain. Two new AT bdes are put in the queue.

FCdOMG.jpg

Arikan’s HQ 1st Army Group sends the Supreme Command in Ankara a general map update summarising the gains so far made, now that Tabriz, Tehran and Ahvaz have been taken.

TyGITx.jpg

The latest bout of German diplomatic influence has finished: it hasn’t made any noticeable difference to our alignment progress.

I883c3.jpg

Back in Ankara: Cabinet Meeting of 16 June 1938

The excellent progress in Persia/Iran and the imminent fall of Tehran prompted the calling of a Cabinet Meeting to consider the new political settlement that Foreign Minister Aras and Interior (Security) Minister Kaya have been working on. Inönü has flown back from the front to be present for this important session.

BJ Guildenstern has received word that his (well, Persephonee’s actually) new national name, designed to be adopted to mark the new national political arrangements, will also be considered. The intention is to announce both on the successful conclusion of the campaign, which shouldn’t take more than another two-three weeks, unforeseen developments aside. Braanszon will be presenting personally to the Cabinet, under Calistar’s supervision.

The first order of business is the new system of administration that will be applied to Turkey’s dominions, following the conquest of Persia. Kaya argues that the old Ottoman system of Vilayets, Beys and imperial administration will not work in today’s modern world of 1938. It will make the territories harder to administer, requires too much central control and will promote revolt and separatism. They should govern themselves at the local level, as far as possible, but with a strong over-arching (Turkish) rule and laws.

Aras agrees, saying a system with imperial connotations is also harder to defend to those who we would have as our factional allies (ie the Soviets) and our co-combatants against the Axis (the Allies, especially the US if it ever again takes a direct interest in European affairs). Their joint proposal is for a system somewhat analogous to the Soviets’ federated state apparatus. It gives the nominal impression of a series of federated and autonomous republics, but is in fact dominated by Russia and the overall Soviet state system.

Many smaller states with have one very dominant and central Turkish republic and a National State Council of which the President of Turkey is the leader, with ‘national’ Premiers from each ‘independent’ republic. The President will appoint all the Premiers (and Turkey's Prime Minister), each of which will appoint and run their own state government that looks after domestic issues – education, utilities, infrastructure, local policing and courts and so on. All national security services, industrial policy, press and propaganda governance, defence and foreign policy will continue to be run centrally for the whole state, by the President and the Turkish cabinet. This will not be a democratic system in the Western (or even communist) sense. It will be a kind of paternal state socialism with Turkish characteristics.

Bulgaria, Greece and Albania will each have their own ‘autonomous’ republic.

The Former Yugoslavia will be divided into seven republics: Serbia, Croatia (they will be permitted to retain their principality system as previously approved), Bosnia-Herzegovina, Slovenia, Montenegro, Kosovo and Macedonia.

Persia will also be divided into seven republics: Khuzestan (based around Ahvaz), Iranian Azerbaijan (capital Tabriz), Central Iran (including Tehran and Esfahan), Khorasan (Soltanabad) Baluchestan (Zahedan), Hormozgan (Bandar-e-Abbas) and Bushehr.

18 republics in all, including Turkey. The divisions proposed for the soon-to-be-Former-Persia in particular are perhaps artificial, arbitrary and designed to divide and rule, but that is the name of the game these days.

There is general agreement around the table to adopt this system. Details, maps and constitutions will be prepared, in time for post-victory speeches, probably sometime in July. President Atatürk wishes to preside over the announcement himself, but informs the Cabinet that he will not be the first President of the new super-state: that honour will be conferred on Ismet Inönü, who he confirms as his successor. This will allow time for transition as the President’s health fails and he finds it increasingly difficult to carry on his duties. This will confer legitimacy and the enormous prestige his backing brings, but will allow Inönü to claim the authority as the new President – his own legend being cemented by his glorious and victorious leadership during the recent wars to create this new Eurasian super-state.

Which brings the Cabinet to the next item of business: what should the new super-state be called? Guildenstern is brought into the Cabinet room. He and Perspehonee have worked on a short, simple presentation based on the new national model that Aras and Kaya have just successfully proposed.

2XwZaQ.jpg

BJ Guildenstern listen’s to Calistar’s introduction to the Cabinet and prepares to
make his presentation. Naturally, he has a calming cigarette to ease his tension:
he would like to have had a whiskey too, but that might have been going a bit
too far in a Cabinet meeting, even for these enlightened times in Turkey!

It is now his turn. “Mr President, Prime Minister, distinguished Ministers and Armed Forces Chiefs,” he starts. “Our guidance has been to devise a name that reflects the nature of the new Turkish state; will be acceptable when we seek admittance into the Comintern; preserves Turkish principles while not over-stating Turkey’s dominance of the new state; eschews imperial connotations; reflects our journey on the Path to Glory (which will be shared with all members of the new state); and finally, doesn’t sound too much like a hackneyed Communist national title.”

He pauses for effect, allowing the Cabinet to consider how difficult this assignment is – and thus clearing the way (he hopes) for the proposed solution to be found acceptable. “Here then is what we propose.” He draws a small curtain aside from a board, which has a name embroidered in red, on a white flag.

GzNGoU.jpg

“The ‘Union of Republics’ describes the model being adopted and harkens to the Soviet Union’s full name [the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics]. But the republics will be neither Soviet nor Socialist: they will be Glorious and are based on many diverse National groupings, from the border with Austria at one end to British India at the other. And calling all of these diverse protectorates ‘National’ will hopefully help to mask the fact that there will be no real national self-determination involved.”

“The shortened form for the new state would be ‘the Glorious Union’ – though informally, many are still likely to use ‘Turkey’ to refer to both the super-state as well as the constituent republic. The acronym will be the ‘UGNR’. We propose that Turkey itself, as a part of this new grouping, will be formally called ‘the Great and Glorious Republic of Turkey’, to identify it as very much the first among not-even-close-to-equals.”

“Gentlemen, that completes my presentation,” Braanszon concludes. “Unless you have any questions of me, I will leave you to your confidential deliberations. I’m sure Minister Calistar will be able to discuss any aspects.” He takes his leave.

Braanszon sits outside, lights up again, and takes a hip-flask out of his briefcase. He is particularly fond of this one – a finely worked flask he picked up a few years ago during a trip to Bratislava [Ed: a nod in El Pip’s direction here]. He will not find out the decision until the Cabinet meeting is over.

Calistar emerges half an hour later: “Well, you and Persephonee have earned yourselves a bonus today. There was debate and discussion, not everyone necessarily liked it, but they recognised a title such as this was never going to please everyone. It was never going to be beautiful, but did have to be utilitarian. Enough saluted: it is agreed. Our Path to Glory will take us into the Comintern as the Union of Glorious National Republics!”

Coming Up: The War in Persia has essentially been decided. But as with previous conflicts against large countries (and Persia is geographically larger than any of them so far, with rougher terrain, poorer infrastructure and plagued by mud), the enemy’s national unity must be sufficiently undermined by conquest to bring them to the surrender table. This will still take some time. Cabinet has decided on a new national system and name – these will be publicly announced after the conquest of Persia (to be referred to broadly as Iran under the new arrangements). It seems BJ is off the hook re his embezzlement, though he is still haunted by dark and troublesome thoughts (fear, not guilt, to his shame) about Karaduman’s mysterious fate. He has learned his lesson now: be careful, don’t get caught and have a scapegoat ready to blame!

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
“I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.”
Alexander the Great

I don't know. An organised and well led army of inferior troops and an army of badass guys held loosely together are both scary. One for the damage they can do to you and the other for the damage they'll indiscriminately dish out to everyone.

with a new acting editor now that Propaganda Chief Karaduman has been spirited away, blamed for BJ Guildenstern’s embezzlement)

They no longer speak his name, as it tends to create both an uncomfortable draft in the room and the distracting sound of kittens playing.

A periodic check of intel shows there has been no attrition of our spy network in France (10 active), with 8 still in reserve. Counter-espionage in France is reduced further to just 1/3 (French c-e strength is still only listed as 2/10). We are yet to receive any tech plans from this, but remain hopeful.

French intelligence in thus fame has been terrible. I might now start to think the Germans are going to win in France rather easily because of it.

the possible defence of southern Greece. The latter option, mentioned a few times in this chronicle previously, is popular with strategists who would like to hold Athens – a valuable city in its own right – and for the additional diversion of Axis troops it might provide, drawing away from both the Calistar Line and an attack on the Soviet Union. Anything that might occupy the Axis and hopefully cause way more casualties than we are likely to sustain. Two new AT bdes are put in the queue.

Well with OTL hindsight might, we know that would probably be a good call because the axis struggled there despite being the overwhelming force. If you can tempt Italy to attack there without Germany getting involved, you might tie down a significant amount of their army. If you then win there, they're basically out of the war unles they've already won in africa. The new again, would the Turks know that?

Aras agrees, saying a system with imperial connotations is also harder to defend to those who we would have as our factional allies (ie the Soviets) and our co-combatants against the Axis (the Allies, especially the US if it ever again takes a direct interest in European affairs). Their joint proposal is for a system somewhat analogous to the Soviets’ federated state apparatus. It gives the nominal impression of a series of federated and autonomous republics, but is in fact dominated by Russia and the overall Soviet state system.

A good idea on the whole. The only republic that would have a chance at being a nusaince under that system would be whichever one had all the oil fields in it, and maybe Greece because it's well developed and has loads of friends. Where's Romanian going to fit in all this? Too powerful for your system and the russians might want it themsevles but otherwise it would be a good buffer state between 'friends'.

The Former Yugoslavia will be divided into seven republics: Serbia, Croatia (they will be permitted to retain their principality system as previously approved), Bosnia-Herzegovina, Slovenia, Montenegro, Kosovo and Macedonia.

Already showing more sense than the allies at the end of the war then.

Persia will also be divided into seven republics: Khuzestan (based around Ahvaz), Iranian Azerbaijan (capital Tabriz), Central Iran (including Tehran and Esfahan), Khorasan (Mashhad) Baluchestan (Zahedan), Hormozgan (Bandar-e-Abbas) and Bushehr.
The divisions proposed for the soon-to-be-Former-Persia in particular are perhaps artificial, arbitrary and designed to divide and rule, but that is the name of the game these days.

I'm not sure it would work and the dominant one there is going to be the inevitable oil rich republic which has all the oil firelds in it. Mind you, making everyone else in Persia hate them would be effective in the short term but will cause lots of problems later.

“The shortened form for the new state would be ‘the Glorious Union’ – though informally, many are still likely to use ‘Turkey’ to refer to both the super-state as well as the constituent republic. The acronym will be the ‘UGNR’. We propose that Turkey itself, as a part of this new grouping, will be formally called ‘the Great and Glorious Republic of Turkey’, to identify it as very much the first among not-even-close-to-equals.”

So basically it's still going to be called turkey everywhere aside from the initials (UGNR? UNR? UR?). That's fine and probably the best we were going to get. The glorious union is not going to be used as shorthand by anyone outside of turkey. Can you see the BBC saying that? Mind you, the GU sounds a better initialism than the ones above.

Overall, I like the name.

Reactions:
Just as any country with 'People's' in it's title is not run for the people and 'Democratic' nations invariably aren't, I suspect no-one is going to think of this Turkish dominated mess as glorious.

I look forward to the first Greek politician breaking this new system of government, for instance as 'Education' is a local matter someone is going to put 'basically the Turks are backstabbing fools who got lucky' in the History textbook. Sure Turkey will then intervene and change it, but in doing so they will be forced to publicly admit that the entire 'autonomous' thing is a sham and utterly destroy the credibility of whatever stooges they manage to scrape together.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just as any country with 'People's' in it's title is not run for the people and 'Democratic' nations invariably aren't, I suspect no-one is going to think of this Turkish dominated mess as glorious.

I look forward to the first Greek politician breaking this new system of government, for instance as 'Education' is a local matter someone is going to put 'basically the Turks are backstabbing fools who got lucky' in the History textbook. Sure Turkey will then intervene and change it, but in doing so they will be forced to publicly admit that the entire 'autonomous' thing is a sham and utterly destroy the credibility of whatever stooges they manage to scrape together.
Almost certainly correct! But I only have to keep this hollow pretence going for another ten or so years max: against the odds, the Soviets managed to sustain theirs for 70 years!

And in a couple of years, I anticipate the Germans will relieve me of most or all of the European portion of the Glorious Union anyway. And we know their methods of winning the hearts and minds of conquered nations. Faced with a choice between German or Soviet occupation, the tender mercies of the UGNR will appear Utopian by comparison for any territories we may be able to liberate :confused:

My objective measure in game will be revolts that occur - so any Greek counter-revolutionaries will have to deal with Kaya, Luca Brasi, Darth Kelebek and the Turkish Army. If the Comintern wins, well it will be "welcome to the new world order, buddy". Not one I'd like to live in! :eek:

Reactions:
My objective measure in game will be revolts that occur - so any Greek counter-revolutionaries will have to deal with Kaya, Luca Brasi, Darth Kelebek and the Turkish Army. If the Comintern wins, well it will be "welcome to the new world order, buddy". Not one I'd like to live in! :eek:

They'll have to deal with, in order:
An incompetent but strangely lucky psychopath, the Mafia, Satan, the Red Army-lite and the entire Soviet Union.

And that's after being torn apart by Turks, Nazis and Italians, with some Allied bombing thrown in. Lucky old Greeks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the detailed comments!

I don't know. An organised and well led army of inferior troops and an army of badass guys held loosely together are both scary. One for the damage they can do to you and the other for the damage they'll indiscriminately dish out to everyone.
I liked the quote, and it fitted this time round, but I'd go for an army of sheep led by a sheep every time! ;)

I think Alex da G's main point was that even the best troops timidly led can often be beaten more easily than vice versa. And in this, I think the standard AI reply to most questions posed in the game is "Baa, baa" :D.

Well with OTL hindsight might, we know that would probably be a good call because the axis struggled there despite being the overwhelming force.
It just occurred to me as the geographical circumstances are almost exactly the same as on the Calistar Line and had the Greeks defended Athens properly and garrisoned Patra (requiring an amphib assault penalty), I think I would have had a hard time dislodging them when I invaded in 1937. Only one other port on the Peloponnese to garrison against naval landings (Kalamata). I'm just not sure yet whether I'll be comfortable I'll have enough troops to make the defence viable and not endanger the main Calistar Line. There will no doubt be a cabinet meeting or two to decide that in the coming year (ie is it worth building a few extra forts in Patra and Athens). Otherwise, apart from looking at buying an extra transport fleet, it doesn't change the troop mix on order.

If you can tempt Italy to attack there without Germany getting involved, you might tie down a significant amount of their army. If you then win there, they're basically out of the war unles they've already won in africa. The new again, would the Turks know that?
Well, we don't know even with the benefit of OTL hindsight. My defensive assumption is the worst case: German panzers and air, Italian naval landings, full strength simultaneous assault on the Calistar Line, etc. If I don't think it has a chance of standing up to that for a while (at least to soak up time and cause disproportionate casualties to assaulting troops) and also being able to hold the Dardanelles-Bosporus, then I'll just have to let all of Greece go :(.

The only republic that would have a chance at being a nusaince under that system would be whichever one had all the oil fields in it, and maybe Greece because it's well developed and has loads of friends.
Issue of Greece answered above in the exchange of correspondence with our strategic advisor Lord El Pip: if they reject the carrot, they get the stick :p. The oil fields will be operated as a national asset under the production portfolio, so the client 'republic' will benefit from jobs and a few royalties. And we have our international obligations to consider (honouring any contracts for the Anglo-Persian oil trade, etc).

Where's Romanian going to fit in all this? Too powerful for your system and the russians might want it themsevles but otherwise it would be a good buffer state between 'friends'.
As Persephonee earlier suggested, Romania will not be part of the Glorious Union, as we puppeted them instead. They will be part of our Defensive Pact (think of them as analogous to a member of the Warsaw Pact after the war), and will effectively be brought into the Comintern when we join. They will sink or swim with the Glorious and Soviet Unions. The Russians will get Bessarabia if/when the ask for it, but otherwise Romania will be a loyal ally (unless conquered and puppeted in turn by the Germans later).

So basically it's still going to be called turkey everywhere aside from the initials (UGNR? UNR? UR?). That's fine and probably the best we were going to get. The glorious union is not going to be used as shorthand by anyone outside of turkey.
We'll just have to minimise the number of countries that are outside Turkey: have already made a pretty good start on that ;). As for the BBC: as with the Soviets in OTL, when we become 'Allies' (ie co-belligerents) and we're attending Summits with Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt, they will just have to 'show some respect'! As if we cared what those decadent Westerners thought or did anyway :p

Overall, I like the name.
Thanks, best I could come up with, and now I can not worry about it for the rest of the game :). I will actually use the various forms (Glorious Union, UGNR, GU) a bit in game dialogue etc: part of the vibe for making it an alternate history. It's no more cumbersome, say, than "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", for example ;). The world will just have to get used to it (which in an AAR is easy, given the narrative - if not all the battles - runs at one's own whim).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Issue of Greece answered above in the exchange of correspondence with our strategic advisor Lord El Pip: if they reject the carrot, they get the stick :p.

His Majesty might take exception to the apparently English 'Lord' Pip advising the Turkish government how to smackdown democratic and freedom-loving (I.e. generally allied friendly) Greece. Of course, if the paper's speculation that he is in fact not really a member of the house of lords but rather an extremely cunning tortoise that escaped a life of Jaffa cake deliveries for glory (through the clever use of a tortoise sized top hat and suit) as a military advisor for various unsavoury nations, then there is no problem.

...I should probably mention I'm up after twenty five hours (at 4 o clock GMT) sick with flu so whatever I just said should taken with a wee pinch of salt.

• 1Like
Reactions:
His Majesty might take exception to the apparently English 'Lord' Pip advising the Turkish government how to smackdown democratic and freedom-loving (I.e. generally allied friendly) Greece. Of course, if the paper's speculation that he is in fact not really a member of the house of lords but rather an extremely cunning tortoise that escaped a life of Jaffa cake deliveries for glory (through the clever use of a tortoise sized top hat and suit) as a military advisor for various unsavoury nations, then there is no problem.

...I should probably mention I'm up after twenty five hours (at 4 o clock GMT) sick with flu so whatever I just said should taken with a wee pinch of salt.
All mercenaries here :D. And it was Lord El Pip championing the cause of the rebellious Greeks: it was me and my evil minions talking about providing the smack-down. :cool:

I envision Lord El Pip being a somewhat eccentric Peer who for some reason has decided to advise the Turkish Government (in a full, frank and not always complimentary fashion, you may have noticed). As they say in the trade, "his reports are likely to be as much an effort to influence as to inform." Perhaps he may be able to provide a 'back channel' to Churchill, whom Turkey would much rather see leading the UK than that milk-toast appeaser Chamberlain!? o_O

Reactions: