• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1444-1463: Dire Times

johnmyster

First Lieutenant
38 Badges
Feb 26, 2017
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III
Ahhh, Byzantium. A country I've always wanted to be successful with over my time playing EU4, but have had about a dozen failed attempts. The reliance on luck against overwhelming odds has always turned me off. "If x rivals y, restart", etc. and starting with Byzantium isn't exactly good for my health... :oops:

Well on about my 12th attempt, by my estimation, I've managed to successfully establish a decent power base, and I feel like I face almost no risk of total annihilation — while still keeping Constantinople, city of the world's desire.

Our goal for this run is primarily Basileus, (which requires most of Anatolia, the eastern Balkans, Greece, and some other provinces) and Mare Norstrum. While we're at it, we may aim for the two Orthodox achievements: Consecrate Roma, and gain 100 Patriarch Authority.

tFENWfH.png

So, without further ado, I present my Byzantium 1.24 AAR. Standard settings, normal difficulty, all expansions (and most DLC) up to Cradle of Civilization, including the newly-purchased Purple Phoenix, which gives an insane amount of diplo and mil monarch points through events.

------------------------------------------------------------

We sell our light ships and a couple of transports to Aragon, delete our cavalry, and start pumping out 2 heavy ships and some galleys. Our focus is set to mil points and a mil advisor hired when we finally remember. A diplo rep advisor is also hired.

We ally most nations that are willing to take us, including Wallachia, Theodoro, and Trebizond. We set a threatened attitude towards the Ottos, and start improving relations with Hungary and Albania. Otto's declare on Albania, and we ally them:

24RTUwX.png

For once, our first war with the Ottos seems to have good odds, at least on paper. But whether or not our Venetian and Albanian comrades will actually use their armies efficiently is another matter. We set our stack to allow attaching and Athens and Naxos do so.

Not wanting to face yet another failed run, we hire soldiers far beyond our force limit, with little regards given to our economy. As long as we don't go bankrupt, we can always pay off our loans later. Our nobility estate has also gained an extreme 100% influence as we wanted to get those 150 "free" mil points for early teching, and we teeter-totter their influence and loyalty points.

gdRmxku.png

With the Otto's armies split, we face a nice victory at the Battle of Thessaly...

LLotrXj.png

and another satisfying victory at the Battle of Lezhe, where we were able to get the Ottomans as the attacker against Alby's mountain fort. So far, so good.

MWZj4hZ.png

We have gained naval dominance, and are sieging Otto's Balkan provinces, along with the fort in Macedonia. The Otto's are on our capital, and Venice has hunted down a few small Otto stacks. The Mamluks kindly subsidize us for two ducats a month.

VicxqDK.png

qPe8PzD.png

We claim victory at the Battle of Constantinople!

vCjOJ1G.png

The war has raged on for three years with success, but we have paid the price of 27,845 soldiers fallen.

A5dLEJU.png

We keep pressing forward into Anatolia, hoping for more gains — but we lose several battles as we're caught out of position and our warscore suffers.

HcXA3tg.png

We eventually gain the war score back and peace out for the provinces we want before Albania makes a suboptimal peace deal.

pc93TaP.png

We shall remember the 37,000 fallen soldiers who bravely gave their lives for the resurrection of Byzantium.

r5jHU8t.png

We have a, *ahem*, small debt of 1449 ducats. Assuming the Mamluks revoke their subsidies, interest is over half of our income and it would only take 16.9 years of our entire income to pay off the debt! :p

5QBwQpe.png

We forget to take away the noble's land before they gain too much influence and an aristocratic coup occurs! I, the great Byzantine emperor, have become but a puppet of the nobility! :(

4RFG1Np.png

Since we're already in a disaster, and losing 25% of our income to the aristocratic coup, we might as well just claim bankruptcy, leaving our fate and defenses in the hands of our allies, which now include Hungary.

We forget to spend our monarch points before bankruptcy, losing about 400-700 we could've at least put towards inflation or development. :oops: But at least the OP Purple Phoenix DLC gives us lots of diplo and mil points.

rfdy0ak.png

Though our presitge, legitimacy, stability, and monarch points are all tanked, our bankruptcy goes surprisingly well. After it's over, we integrate Athens.

1uFRQMk.png

Once our truce with the Turks is up, we declare on them, bringing Wally and Hungary on our side.

9DWVykP.png

Byzantium and Wallachia siege the Ottos all over, while Hungary sieges Crimea.

FRusamw.png

The Ottos are still at war against Candar and friends they started attacking earlier. Genoa seizes Crimea's moment of weakness and start their own war. Things aren't looking too hot for the Sunnis of eastern Europe...

8Bz07Ej.png

With Crimea ready to peace out, we make the (probably wrong) decision to take some land for ourselves, suffering the diplo point hit and double AE gain against a non-co-beliggerent.

From the Ottos, we take back our last cores. We also take a land bridge to the gold mine in Kosovo and a sea province for Bulgaria to have upon release. Finally, we take a foothold in Anatolia to release a Turkish vassal to feed Turkish and Sunni provinces. Economically, it would've been best to take more of the Balkans for ourselves, but we settle for the more positionally strategic locations.

8DmaaxC.png

After forging a claim on Kosovo, we release Bulgaria and Saruhan. Unfortunately, our Crimean provinces aren't adjacent to any of our vassals, and there is no vassal to release in Crimea. We are forced to core it ourselves and take the hit to religious unity.

Last edited:
1463-1472: Unstoppable Allies
HwuiT7w.png

Overview of our country and diplomatic relations. Genoa is our only enemy, while we have rivalled Ottomans, Venice, and Genoa. We are allied with Albania, Hungary, and Wallachia, doing away with other small allies to make room for our vassals. A small Sunni coalition is forming with the Great Horde and a Turkish minor, and we are improving relations with Mamluks to hopefully prevent them from joining in time.

We have a 2/3/4 ruler, with a nice 4/3/2 heir. We sorely need Admin points to gain stability and make it out of the noble coup as well as unlock the first set of ideas. Our admin and diplo tech are still at 3, while our mil tech is at 5.

WxDL61H.png

We accept Crimean culture, hire a missionary advisor, and set the religious unity edict so we can convert our Crimean provinces and make them actually useful to us.

CIQpRGO.png

:D YES, Muscovy has turned friendly towards us and we gladly forge a Byzantine-Muscovy alliance.

2vAyCck.png

After some pummeling, the Ottos lose their Great Power status. ;)

QnBeh0I.png

Unfortunately, pretender rebels have destroyed our army and taken control. Although our new ruler is a 0/4/6, its mostly a blessing in disguise as the noble coup is voided, our stability brought back up to 0, and a Feudal Monarchy re-established. Go pretenders!

We have successfully made it through bankruptcy, an aristocratic coup, and two wars against the Ottomans. Is there anything the proud Byzantine people cannot do?

Du6RpVb.png

We get 7k free infantry and 7k free cavalry as the pretenders join our army, which is awesome because our manpower sucks. That 16k in Greece immediately dismantles.

hq9U0Kz.png

:eek::eek::eek: We manage to ally both Austria and Poland (PU over Lithy), which along with Hungary and Muscovy, make us pretty much unstoppable and impervious to attack for the foreseeable future. We'll dissolve our alliance with Albania and keep Wallachia around for their 8k stack in the next war. The Sunni coalition has also dismantled.

sDvKTbK.png

Otto's get their GP status back, but they won't keep it for long. ;)

4NDyxEr.png

Since Serbia is guaranteed by the Ottos and we forgot to dissolve that treaty, we choose Venice as our next target to get some land and our power projection up. They have lots of small-medium size allies, but we have Hungary and human intelligence on our side, so we can hopefully pick them apart individually through the war.

9cE0tV2.png

We have established naval dominance, thanks to our galleys and two heavies. Our great people are well on our way to victory! :)

Thanks for joining me, all responses are welcome!

Last edited:
Impressive...! :)

Thanks

Woo, always enjoy a Byzantium AAR!

<3

I can't even win the first war

The first war is the hardest. There's some luck involved in the way things pan out going into the war.

Allying Albania after the Ottomans declare is one strat, and the one that worked for me. You + Venice + Albania vs Ottos is a strong starting war.

Disregard your force limit. I think I had something like 27/12 troops at one point, but you can probably get away with a bit less than that.

Two heavies and some galleys for naval superiority helps too.

Beyond that, general EU4 combat strategies apply: Use terrain to your advantage, play at speed 1-2 for the tough war, get morale and discipline up, get a good shock general, etc.

Ah, Byzantium, the good old days... Always enjoying to see a Byzantium AAR and however you survive, it's always an impressive personal victory. All those allies are very sweet, they made it possible for me to survive back in the day. Subbed, let the Phoenix rise!

Always nice to see Rome rise again.

Very impressive on the conquests so far! Naval superiority is going to go a long way in the Mediterranean. Great job.

Ah, Byzantium, the good old days... Always enjoying to see a Byzantium AAR and however you survive, it's always an impressive personal victory. All those allies are very sweet, they made it possible for me to survive back in the day. Subbed, let the Phoenix rise!

:cool:

Revenge for 1204 !

:)

Always nice to see Rome rise again.

;)

Very impressive on the conquests so far! Naval superiority is going to go a long way in the Mediterranean. Great job.

:D

The fact you can bring them back from the brink that quickly implies you are very much correct about that OP DLC. Since to my knowledge the base game gives huge bonuses for reclaiming imperial lands anyway, exactly how many boosts and perks would you enemies up having when you got into reconquering the Balkans and Anatolia?

The fact you can bring them back from the brink that quickly implies you are very much correct about that OP DLC. Since to my knowledge the base game gives huge bonuses for reclaiming imperial lands anyway, exactly how many boosts and perks would you enemies up having when you got into reconquering the Balkans and Anatolia?

How many boosts and perks would my enemies have? Same as in any other playthrough.

If you're asking how many I would have, I'm not really sure how to respond. Generic Byzantine decisions can be found here and Purple Phoenix events and missions here. Most of the perks I've gained so far from the DLC are mostly from the random monarch point events, though some of them actually take away monarch power.

On a side note, I'm taking a break from EU4 for the time being due to burnout. It is very likely I'll return to the game and this playthrough, however.

1474-1507: True Momentum
After almost a year of real time, the Purple Phoenix is back! After initial fears of forgetting everything about the game, it has come back to me all too quickly. :)

In the meantime, I've been playing / replaying the Danganronpa series, Ace Attorney series, modded Morrowind and Oblivion, Fallout 3/4, Overwatch, Age of Empires II HD, Age of Mythology, Aviary Attorney, Age of Empires Online (Celeste), Civ 6, and many other games.

We are now aiming for Mare Nostrum, requiring the entire Mediterranean and Black Sea coast lines, along with the following to restore the Roman Empire:
EU4_Roman_Empire.png

RgGYChO.jpg

We war Venice and co.

uDr5SjM.jpg

They are humiliated, giving us some sweet Power Projection. We also pick up provinces from V's vassals.

We force convert our vassal Saruhan to Orthodoxy so we have less to convert later, giving them 100% liberty desire for a while. Bad choice? Maybe but eh.

XWbHMk3.jpg

Serbia is the next victim. :cool:

rZTLGoN.jpg

Diplovassalize Theodoro.

Abk5P8f.jpg

More war with Otto/Crimea+Tunis. We bring in Polithuania.

pZ8AiI3.jpg

When powers clash on the field of battle...

djP3SMN.jpg

That sweet, sweet naval dominance. :cool:

vXHZ816.jpg

Anatolia belongs to the Byzantines! (sort of)

AfmxsX1.jpg

Bulgaria gets many cores back, and mother Byzantium takes most of southern Anatolia.

Ad4UOwg.jpg

Let us remember the brave souls that have perished to further Rome's resurrection.

JChaFxG.jpg

After a decade of relative peace, in 1503 the great Byzantine people march towards Venice, who brings in France. Powerhouses Austria and Hungary know their place as pawns allies of our noble cause.

We are also 30% done with annexing Bulgaria.

xm9vxn3.jpg

France's navy has nothing on us. :cool:

EhEHMDD.jpg

We annex the bit of Wallachia that Hungary left for us.

UClQeep.jpg

Austria helps and stuff on the western front.

mhfkBYv.jpg

Kind of an exploit, but we peace out Genoa before France picks a fight we don't want to take.

nt1Q8q6.jpg

Four months later, France agrees to a white peace.

G44Y6Qr.jpg

We take some land and gold from Veni. Sadly we can't take Dalmatia because Austria is occupying it, even though they don't want it. :rolleyes:

GWZzk2o.jpg

P0AHNJN.jpg

Great power! It's over nine th— uh... nevermind that.

Last edited:
1507-1542: True Power
SeWRqNW.jpg

Poland wants our help pew pewing Otto's. We accept.

G8UsTl6.jpg

Otto's end up giving a province to us, Karaman, Genoa, AQ, and releases Trebizond as a sovereign state. All good stuff for us. Poland had their eye on northern Anatolia (Bolu I think), but it looks like they didn't take it after all.

kmdo7cQ.jpg

Five years later we declare on Genoa, who has Ottomans, Lucca, and two HRE minors as allies. Polithuania helps.

FtNND9M.jpg

We fight for western Anatolia while Pol-Lith take a shot at the east.

k6o8zVO.jpg

Three years in, things are looking pretty good for us. :)

HuGrcq2.jpg

We take Lucca because we can.

OzgQPwK.jpg

Ottomans give us more land. We prioritize land connections and forts.

joMutHv.png

We pick up an awesome 5/3/3.

JPwsR1t.png

We fully annex Genoa.

ybgSEUl.png

The Purple Phoenix has pissed off a couple of countries...

CT8HsYi.png

But surely our allies will defend us.

7vggSyK.png

??? Hm... ok.

Ekp2NCC.png

Nah, we good. :cool:

JUMDhF2.png

Strong alliances = easy win.

vIODZD2.png

7Xp6MZZ.png

Bulgaria is annexed!

Ng2rFJQ.png

Victory!

TATdddp.png

Poland and Russia (formerly Muscovy) started rivaling each other, leading to Poland breaking up our alliance. The fools! Fortunately Byzantium can stand on her own two feet these days.

1VTfOUK.png

Full Quantity and pushing through Admin ideas.

FDoNTlB.png

We take DoF for the extra missionary, and of course less war exhaustion helps too. Religious unity at 59%. St. Michael is frequently honored, giving us +10% manpower recovery and +5% discipline.

FAPwGY0.png

Eight years later, we're warring more Turks.

TqnP1ef.png

:oops: Otto's five shock general...

4fvGiBk.png

Nice stackwipe over Tunis.

sQZmybg.png

hlGOGUN.png

23c0Qem.png

We get pretty ballsy in our aggressive expansion. :cool:;)

SNSNqnt.png

With the Otto's now too small to rival, we rival and embargo the Commonwealth for maximum power projection. England and France were possibilities, but we may want to ally France at some point and the Commonwealth will be easier to gain power projection against for the moment.

w06KXol.png

Doomed empire to #1 Great Power in 98 years.

Last edited:
It's back! :eek: Nice! :D

It's certainly been a while :)

I forgot this exists!

Byzantium is doing well. I am still dipping my toes into EUIV so have no real idea how you're doing this but know enough to appreciate your skill and luck regardless.

So even though the end goal is european conquest plus middle east, you going to go after some north african land for trade/convenience? I suppose it depends on what your targets do.