• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 32 - January 1080
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 32
January 1080 - Anjou, France

The wine was exceptionally sweet.

Foulques sipped his cup as he sat in a chair by the fire. The keep could be drafty in January, and a warm seat before the cackling flames felt good, especially as one took in their day before retiring for the evening.

And it had been a busy one as Foulques and Beatritz entertained Duke Hugues and Duchess Adelaide of Burgundy.

The two women got along swimmingly with plenty to discuss. Adelaide was one of longest serving duchesses in the realm, even longer than Beatritz, despite Foulques’ wife being the older of the two. Adelaide had been the Duchess of Champagne since she was a teenager, and when her husband passed on, she did not wait long before marrying Hugues. She had given the Duke of Burgundy a daughter, Douce, just over a year ago.

1080_Duchess_Adelaide.jpg

Meanwhile, there was plenty of Hugues and Foulques to discuss with the state of the realm.

Zeeland had been occupied by Heinrich’s forces. Philippe had tried to resist, with Duke Boudewijn of Flanders taking part in the battle of Charlieu himself to try to defend his county. The battle was lost, and the Duke of Flanders wounded.

It was a credit to him that he shook off the injury as nothing, despite being 69 years of age. It may have also been foolish - the wound turned gangrenous and the Duke was dead by the end of October.

His son, the 49-year-old Boudewijn VI, inherited Flanders and won Philippe a short-lived victory, but it did little to stop the Emperor’s forces from running roughshod on the eastern counties of the realm.

Suffice to say, Philippe was losing the war. And his advantages over the English were slowly being reversed.

The Frankish king was actually lucky on that front - the Saxons were largely in disarray. King Morcar had died a year before while in Normandy - many suggested he had been murdered. Godwine, the son of Harold, the king deposed by William of Normandy, had been raised in his stead.

1080_Morcar_killed.jpg

1080_King_Godwine.jpg

Godwine might have been king, but he did not appear to have great support of the Saxon earls despite being the son of the late Harold, who had lost the crown the William. He had not mustered much of an army, and hardly carried the same martial reputation of the dead Morcar. Thus while he made progress against Philippe, it had been slow.

But to add to the complexity of the situation, Philippe now had a potential challenger for his throne.

Boudewijn was, in fact, Philippe’s first cousin through the king’s paternal aunt. That gave the new Duke of Flanders a claim to the Frankish throne - though it wasn’t the strongest. Not only did Philippe have a younger brother and now a daughter of just over a year old, but every male member of the House of Burgundy’s could argue a stronger right to the throne - a fact that was not lost on Foulques as he hosted one of those members.

1080_Duke_Boudewijn_V.jpg

“Care for some company?”

Foulques looked over his shoulder. Duke Hugues stood at his side. Foulques motioned for him to pull up a chair beside him. Hugues did so, sat down and then poured himself some wine.

“I must thank you for your hospitality,” Hugues said. “The duchess has enjoyed herself greatly here. We must return the favor sometime in Burgundy.”

“Perhaps when things are quieter,” Foulques said.

Hugues sighed. “Yes.”

Burgundy was in a bit of turmoil of it’s own at the moment as a count had risen up in an attempt to make Foulques half-brother, and Hugues uncle, Robert, the duke. The revolt had broken out recently, and though Robert had denied any involvement, the situation in the House of Burgundy was tense.

1080_Hugues_of_Burgundy.jpg

“It appears all across the realm, we suffer trouble,” Hugues lamented. “You are one of the few who finds his home peaceful these days.”

“Duke Guilhem,” Foulques noted.

“Yes, I suppose,” Hugues said. “Though he has problems of his own, from what I hear.”

Foulques nodded and poured himself some more wine.

“I never did get to ask,” Hugues began, “How has my brother-in-law performed as your chancellor so far?”

“Well enough,” Foulques said. “He looks to see if he can secure a claim on Vannes. They stand alone, apart from even the Breton king. It would be easy for me to seize it if he can secure me rights.”

1080_Countess_of_Vannes.jpg

“I am certain he will,” Hugues said. “You have had success with men not trained in the art of diplomacy before, but Godefroy excels at such matters. Speaking of which, how did the Karling take it?”

Foulques shrugged. “He was not pleased. But I keep my court open to he and his family. So he does not voice his discontent.”

That was likely an understatement. Eudes was most angry by his dismissal, and said Foulques was playing favorites with family. In truth, it had little to do with Godefroy being the husband of Helie, Hugues sister, given that Hugues was not a blood relative to Foulques. But the appeal of a more traditional chancellor was too difficult to pass up.

1080_Godfrey.jpg

They sat in silence for a few minutes, with nothing but the sound of the crackling fire to fill the air. Since it was late, many of the keep’s residents had turned in for the night. Both men’s wives had. Adelaide no doubt waited for her husband to join her in her chambers - Hugues had spoken quite a bit about how taken he was with her.

Beatritz likely knew she would be alone. She did not know Alearde lay in her husband’s bed, as she often did. Foulques would join her soon enough, after another cup or two of wine.

“Tell me Duke Foulques,” Hugues began, “Do you think of the realm’s future?”

“What do you mean?” Foulques asked. “We have discussed this before.”

“Not the direction my cousin takes it,” Hugues clarified, “But what will become of it when Philippe dies?”

“If he does not sire a son, then perhaps to his daughter? Or if his daughter has a son, her son?” Foulques replied.

“There is a great deal of uncertainty there,” Hugues said. “That does not concern you?”

Foulques sipped his wine, the cup hiding his sly grin. “What uncertainty do you speak of?”

“If something should happen to the king,” Hugues said, “the realm would have a child, a female child no less, on the throne. That will not bode well. Boudewijn would almost certainly claim right to it. Perhaps the king’s brother as well.”

“To say nothing of you, great-grandson of the King of the Franks,” Foulques said.

“Perish the thought,” Hugues said. “I have no desire to steal the throne from a little girl. There is no honor in it.”

“Honor over kingship?” Foulques replied. “You truly are a unique man, Duke Hugues.”

“Honor and tradition,” Hugues said. “I’ll not have the realm turn as Rome did, with rulers standing only as long as they can find support from their soldiers. The problem is if young Adalmode becomes queen, that is exactly what shall happen. Boudewijn will revolt. And I will be forced into action to defend my family’s claim, which is stronger than his. And chaos will reign. We will all grow weaker as a result.”

This is where you tell me how supporting your claim is the only way to save the realm
, Foulques thought.

“A concern,” Foulques said. “But the king is young. He has time to produce a son.”

“He may or may not,” Hugues said. “My cousin rushes into battle, and against an opponent far stronger than he. Commendable. But foolish.”

“So then what is your solution?” Foulques asked.

“The dukes of the realm decide who the king’s heir shall be,” Hugues said.

“And if they should happen to choose you, you would not object,” Foulques said.

“Would that not be best,” Hugues asked, “for the time being? If the king produces a son, then I would urge the dukes to elect him. But until then…”

Foulques just sipped his drink. “What does Boudewijn think of such things?”

“I do not speak with him,” Hugues said. “He aims to gain support for his claim and will not back elective succession. After all, he likely does not think he will outlive a king some 20 years his junior.”

“But what of his support?” Foulques asked.

“He has none,” Hugues said. “But his own duchy. Guilhem stays out of such matters as the king’s marshal. I do not know what Toulouse would have done. But… tragic business that.”

And fortunate for you, Foulques thought.

The Duke of Toulouse was dead, killed over the summer on the orders of the Count of Charolais. Having seen their dispute at the king’s wedding, Foulques at first was not surprised. But rumors had spread the count may have been put up to it by Hugues - who feared Toulouse backing Boudewijn in his claim for the throne.

Instead, Toulouse’ young son Guilhem III sat in the ducal chair and in a regency, was in no position to lend his strength anywhere.

1080_Duke_Toulouse_murdered.jpg

1080_Duke_Guilhem_III_of_Toulouse.jpg

“What of your stepfather?” Foulques asked.

Hugues furrowed his brow. “Etienne of Champagne makes no movement either way. He is in no position to do much at the moment - the Emperor’s armies rampage in his lands.”

“And Berry?” Foulques asked.

“Sits on the king’s council,” Hugues said. “He takes my father’s position as Chancellor. Even if he wasn’t, he is a lap dog. There are counts with more independence than he.”

Foulques chuckled. He did enjoy anytime someone insulted the Duke of Berry.

1080_Duke_Etienne_of_Champagne.jpg

1080_Duke_of_Berry.jpg

1080_Philippes_council.jpg

“So, Duke Foulques,” Hugues said, “you carry a great deal of say in the realm these days. But I imagine that fact is not lost on you.”

“Perhaps,” Foulques said. “But what is there to say? I am but a loyal servant to the king.”

“As we all are,” Hugues said. “Except for perhaps Boudewijn.”

The two shared a chuckle over that.

“But as a loyal servant of the king,” Hugues said. “I merely urge you to consider the best way to maintain the state of his realm, and potentially protect his daughter, should the need arise.”

Foulques offered his hand to Hugues.

“I make no promises,” Foulques said. “But I shall consider it.”

Hugues raised his cup. Foulques did the same.

1080_Factions_in_France.jpg

….

As Foulques moved to head to his bed, he thought he heard something. He listened carefully.

Footsteps. He was certain of it.

Rather than call the guards, Foulques moved to inspect it himself.

Tracing the sounds, he moved slowly, and carefully down to his strategy room. He saw no one, but was certain the sound came from there.

Drawing his sword, Foulques entered the room. It was dim, with few candles lit at this time of night.

That’s when Foulques saw a shadow on the far wall.

It was hard to make out - distorted by the light casting it. The figure seemed slight and slender, but Foulques could take no chances, and approached with caution.

The shadow did not move as Foulques approached. Closer and closer he came, preparing to use his sword if ready.

Suddenly the shadow jumped. And a scream echoed in the strategy hall.

Foulques was shocked to find his son Geoffrey, on the floor.

A chill ran through the duke’s spine. He had very nearly…

“What are you doing?” Foulques demanded.

“Father… I…” Geoffrey stammered.

“I thought you an intruder. A burglar or worse,” Foulques said. “I could have easily have slain you, skulking about this time of night.”

“I… I am sorry father!” Geoffrey said. His eyes started to water.

“What were you doing?”

Geoffrey, through sobs felt around him and then picked up a small parchment. A letter.

“I just… wished to read it,” he said.

Foulques narrowed his gaze. The boy was nosy. And what he did could have gotten him killed.

But as he stared at Geoffrey, sobbing and trying his best to hold back tears, Foulques could not bring himself to hurt him. He was nosy, but he was curious. Was it such a bad thing that he took interest in his father’s affairs? They would be his affairs eventually.

“It is improper to ruffle through my letters,” Foulques said. “If you ask, I may let you read them, depending on their contents.”

“Truly?”

“Truly.”

He offered his hand. Geoffrey took it.

“Now then,” Foulques said. “This was merely a letter from the Mayor of Saumur, informing me of the state of trade in his city. Not terribly interesting, I can assure you. But sadly, important.”

Geoffrey nodded, with a nervous smile on his face.

1080_Geoffrey_becomes_curious.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
"But sadly important" - I think those three lines say quite a lot about Foulques. He has the intelligence to know that the prosperity of his lands and the success of his arms requires drudgery, but not truly the skill or the inclination for it. Given his knowledge that is not so much a weakness as just a facet of who he is.

Interesting to see him desperately try to remain unentangled in the affairs of the realm - but one feels that he is starting to contort himself in that endeavour. At some juncture he will have to choose - something. Maybe this is one reason he is so focused on gaining Vannes - it would distract him from all the circles within circles that make up France right now.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am truly enjoying this. It feels like at times I am watching a movie. I am enthralled with how the various characters and their goals are being intertwined to move the stroy along. I have been following this to see how a vassal of another character can achieve his ambitions. Everytime I try to play as a vassal I last about 20 years before my title is usurped.

I am truly curious to see which faction Foulques joins or if he forms one his own. Will he be the king or the kingmaker?

• 1Like
Reactions:
maybe a Norman Duke in England can trigger the culture... I don't know if William gave some titles to fellow countrymen or not

Reactions:
Hugues thinks of himself as smarter than he is. Those Bourgognes really can't stop. Philippe's situation grows more precarious every day.

To trigger English culture, you need a Norman ruling Anglo-Saxon land (in England - not sure about that) after 1100. So it'll only happen if William left some Norman counts in England and these guys didn't go native or had their titles usurped.

Reactions:
"But sadly important" - I think those three lines say quite a lot about Foulques. He has the intelligence to know that the prosperity of his lands and the success of his arms requires drudgery, but not truly the skill or the inclination for it. Given his knowledge that is not so much a weakness as just a facet of who he is.

Interesting to see him desperately try to remain unentangled in the affairs of the realm - but one feels that he is starting to contort himself in that endeavour. At some juncture he will have to choose - something. Maybe this is one reason he is so focused on gaining Vannes - it would distract him from all the circles within circles that make up France right now.

You read Foulques' personality right. He has two capable administrators alongside him in Mayor Guilhem and Beatritz, whom he trusts. At least storyline-wise, this is a very important underlying point that will (semi-spoiler) play a role in how things shake out later.

You are right in the urgency of choice. His decision comes in the next chapter.

I very much like the way you draw out events and provide the proper backstory for them, especially with Foulqe's biases - all with a quick rate of updates

Thanks! At times I do worry things are proceeding too slowly, so it's nice to hear you are enjoying the pace. The jump between the last two chapters was one of my largest I believe - some two and a half years. But overall the slow pace can help set things up. I think it's been good to characters like Beatritz, Philippe, Hugues and Alearde, and that, I hope, helps with Foulques himself. I hope to keep the updates moving coming consistent as well. Though I do worry a new reader might skip this because it's already 30+ chapters in.

I am truly enjoying this. It feels like at times I am watching a movie. I am enthralled with how the various characters and their goals are being intertwined to move the stroy along. I have been following this to see how a vassal of another character can achieve his ambitions. Everytime I try to play as a vassal I last about 20 years before my title is usurped.

I am truly curious to see which faction Foulques joins or if he forms one his own. Will he be the king or the kingmaker?

Thanks! I admit, trying to find justification for some of the AI actions can be hard. But other times, it just works out. (You'll see in something I did not plan for in a few updates that fit perfectly with how I wrote the relationship between two ancillary characters) I also would say, I have to give props to @coz1 again, since I've drawn inspiration from his Rightful King, which does a fine job at showing one way a vassal can become king in relatively short order.

That said, I have taken precautions. Not it's not always mentioned as a reason, but the alliance with Guilhem, getting as much money as possible, and expanding to other territories - all had preservation from the king as part of the goal.

Semi-spoiler, but at this point at least, Foulques has no designs on being king. Whether that changes in the future - we'll see.

maybe a Norman Duke in England can trigger the culture... I don't know if William gave some titles to fellow countrymen or not

I'll have to check - my initial thought was he didn't. He also did not last that long in charge of England, less than a decade.

Hugues thinks of himself as smarter than he is. Those Bourgognes really can't stop. Philippe's situation grows more precarious every day.

To trigger English culture, you need a Norman ruling Anglo-Saxon land (in England - not sure about that) after 1100. So it'll only happen if William left some Norman counts in England and these guys didn't go native or had their titles usurped.

Your take on Hugues is right. But he has a decent base of power and the right bloodline - which makes your other observation about the Bourgognes even more accurate, as you'll see in the future. ;)

The next update will be up shortly. As noted, in the replies here, Foulques decision as who he will back comes in it. The next seven years in game are highly, highly eventful - culminating in some life-altering events for Foulques and his family. So hope you enjoy the ride.

As always, thanks for the comments!

Reactions:
Chapter 33 - October 1080
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 33
October 1080 - Anjou, France

The eyes of the council were squarely on him.

Foulques bowed his head as he glanced down at his map in the strategy room. His advisors were all gathered, even Chancellor Godfrey, who made a short return from Vannes to be here for this meeting. Behind Foulques sat Beatritz making a rare appearance with him in a council meeting. And the Duke of Anjou could feel their gaze, which only stirred the churning of his stomach further.

You’ve been in battle, this should be nothing.

And yet it was something. Battles came quickly. Combat could be over in seconds. This… outcomes of this meeting would linger for sometime, shaping the duchy and even the realm.

Foulques took a deep breath. It did not help.

“Let us begin,” Foulques said. “Baudouin, what is the status of the king’s army?”

“They are in retreat,” the spymaster replied. “Philippe and Etienne fought bravely in Eu, despite being outnumbered. But they were defeated all the same.”

1080_Philippe_loses_in_Eu.jpg

“How many men does the king have at his disposal?” Foulques asked.

Baudouin scratched his goatee. “Hard to say. But it may be under 3,000.”

Foulques nodded. There was no hiding it any longer - Philippe was in danger.

His war with Heinrich was over - the Emperor had won with ease. The only setback Heinrich had truly suffered in the war was the loss of his mother, Agnes de Poitou, to illness. And given that Agnes was Beatritz’s sister, Foulques could not take much pleasure in such things.

1080_Philippe_loses_Zeeland.jpg

1080_Agnes_de_Poitou_dies.jpg

As for the realm of the Franks, Zeeland was now part of the Empire with an annoyed Boudewijn left to lick his wounds… and continue to privately push his claim on the kingdom.

Even if Philippe wished to crack down on his wayward Duke of Flanders, Boudewijn had more men at his disposal than the king. There was little he could do.

A victory over the English in Normandy would have given the Frankish king momentum and belief he could at least right the war there and possibly claim the duchy. That would give pause to any vassals who might wish to rebel.

But defeat shattered any hope of that. The war would continue, slowly draining men and money from Philippe while his less-happy vassals grew stronger. His reign wobbled.

And while it could stabilize in time, Foulques knew a slight push now would cause it to topple.

“What does Boudewijn wish?” Foulques asked.

“His emissaries have reached out to us,” Godfrey said. “They believe with your assistance alone, he could successfully claim what is rightfully his.”

“Are they right?” Foulques asked Marshal Leon.

“I can only give you numbers my lord,” Leon said. “But it is likely your combined forces would stand double the king’s. And if you were able to convince any others…”

“What of Hugues?” Foulques asked his spymaster.

“He is less certain,” Baudouin said. “He has less men than the Duke of Flanders, so he may not rebel, even if you pledged assistance. I also hear the king may reach out to award him a spot on the council, in an offer to placate him.”

That would hardly be a surprise. Hugues craved power and influence after all.

“As it stands,” Bishop Telent started, “the king is as weak as he shall ever be. If a move is to be made, the time is now.”

Foulques closed his eyes. The bishop was right. There was no use in delaying any longer. He turned back to Leon.

“I want the levies raised,” he said. “We move to attack the English.”

There was a gasp from someone, though Foulques did not know who. All of the councilors seemed surprised.

“Would that not strengthen the king’s position?” Leon asked.

“It would,” Foulques said. “Against the English at least.”

“Those lands have been afflicted with disease,” Telent said. “Smallpox. The Saxons bring it with them from England.”

“Then perhaps I should bring a priest along,” Foulques said. “A man such as yourself should welcome the chance to help the suffering. And should you fall in service to God, he will surely have a place by his side for you.”

Telent blanched. But to Foulques surprise, he did continue.“My lord, as I have also said, the king will never be weaker. You could remove the threat to your lands and family.”

“I am aware,” Foulques said. “But I am hardly spoilt for good choices. I could support Boudewijn and we would likely emerge victorious. All that means is I serve at the behest of a Flemish king, rather than a Frankish one.

“And Hugues does not play for the crown. We risk the king’s ire for something with benefits the Duke of Burgundy far more than it does us.”

And I do not trust him, Foulques said to himself.

“So we… help the king instead?” Telent asked.

“It is our third choice,” Foulques said. “We march to the king’s aid. We defeat the English, and allow Philippe to reclaim the momentum he has lost in war. I will have gone above my responsibilities as a vassal by providing him soldiers and I will have proved my loyalty by not only coming to his aid, but also refusing to take part in plots against him when he is at his weakest. If he questions my loyalty after such things, then I will be at a loss. But our king is not stupid. He needs friends. And I will become one.”

“A sound strategy, my lord,” Mayor Guilhem said.

Foulques was not sure they all agreed. But they did not have to. He did not need their approval to raise the duchy’s levies. He was fulfilling his obligation to his liege lord. The council could not object to that.

“There is one more matter,” Foulques said. He motioned for Beatritz to come and stand beside him.

“While I am away on campaign, the duchess rules with my authority. Her word is to be followed as if it were my own. She has proven herself more than capable over the years. I trust this will not be a problem?”

Not one voiced an objection, though a few lowered their heads. Perhaps they would not like it, but they would respect it. While Beatritz was a woman, she was experienced and entrenched. In a power struggle against her, most on the council knew there would be only one victor.

“Thank you husband,” Beatritz said. “I shall endeavor to keep the duchy in fine stead for your return. I shall need the help of all of you to do so.”

A nice touch, Foulques thought. In truth he did not expect it to be much different than before - but it was time he rewarded his wife with the official title of regent for all she had done in his stead.

“You may go,” Foulques said to the council.

The men departed the strategy hall, leaving Foulques and Beatritz alone. Relieved he had gotten that business out of the way, the duke poured himself with some wine. His wife joined him.

“It went well enough,” Beatritz said.

“Yes,” Foulques said. “What do you think of the decision?”

“I told you I support it,” Beatritz said. “Winning Philippe’s friendship by aiding him in a time of need is easier than winning a revolt against him. And should he falter, there is nothing saying you cannot abandon him if necessary.”

Foulques nodded. “I think Telent is disappointed. He wished to unseat Philippe.”

“He is a Breton serving a Frank,” Beatritz said. “I do not think that Boudewijn is Flemish matters to him.”

“True enough,” Foulques said. “And does it matter to you - a woman from the south?”

“It matters to me that it matters to you, husband,” Beatritz said.

Foulques chuckled. “You will do well as regent.”

“You speak as if that is a revelation,” Beatritz said. “It is not as if I have failed you before.”

“No, you have always done all I asked,” Foulques said. “Thank you.”

She replied with a sly grin before moving her way over to the map on the table, hoisting herself onto it, albeit with some difficulty due to her weight and then motioning Foulques to come to her.

In truth, they did not lay together frequently anymore. Beatritz was 53, with hair that was fully gray, plenty of lines in her face. She had also grown quite fat in her old age.

Most nights, Foulques spent with Alearde. Lithuaise also found her way to the duke - though those would usually be discreet encounters during the day in a secluded spot and much less frequent.

But there was something about Beatritz this night that aroused him. He was not sure what, but he supposed it did not matter.

He pushed her onto the table, and went to work.

1080_Foulques_raises_levies.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
And so Foulques proves himself to be loyal - despite all the doubts and evidence to the contrary. Of course it is a loyalty informed by his own ambition - the King indebted to such a man may not easily sit on the throne.

What might Beatriz discover whilst she in charge I wonder?

• 1Like
Reactions:
please tell that on the table there was cake and cheese and maybe wine hehehe

• 1Haha
Reactions:
A shrewd move on Foulques's part, if not strictly speaking a completely unexpected one. Of course, signalling himself as a loyalist also means interposing himself between the King and the dissenters...

A brilliant man could use that position for leverage, playing both ends against the middle to ensure that he gets what he wants while ensuring neither side of the scales quite reaches the tipping point. Foulques, unfortunately, probably isn't that clever, though he may have councilors and allies that could assist him -- in exchange for some consideration to benefit whatever game they're playing...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Besides not trusting the others and preferring Philippe, of course there is also the prize of Maine awaiting...
Either by trusting Philippe to hand it to a loyal vassal or preapring the ground for his own campaign against the English.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And so Foulques proves himself to be loyal - despite all the doubts and evidence to the contrary. Of course it is a loyalty informed by his own ambition - the King indebted to such a man may not easily sit on the throne.

What might Beatriz discover whilst she in charge I wonder?

Loyalty by ambition is probably a good way to describe all the dukes right now - Philippe is aware of that I'd say. He held a very stable realm while his original dukes lived but was slow to react after their sons inherited. As you'll see, he is quick to change that. (But not above mistakes, either)

Oh Beatritz. All I can say is, she's very confident in her position these days. But also... prone to extreme paranoia. ;)

please tell that on the table there was cake and cheese and maybe wine hehehe

Nope, not this time. But I have a scene in mind in the (very far) future where I may just use that!:D

A shrewd move on Foulques's part, if not strictly speaking a completely unexpected one. Of course, signalling himself as a loyalist also means interposing himself between the King and the dissenters...

A brilliant man could use that position for leverage, playing both ends against the middle to ensure that he gets what he wants while ensuring neither side of the scales quite reaches the tipping point. Foulques, unfortunately, probably isn't that clever, though he may have councilors and allies that could assist him -- in exchange for some consideration to benefit whatever game they're playing...

You're right in that Foulques probably isn't that brilliant. And when it comes to politics, there's at least one person in the realm who is his better.

Nice twist. Did not see that coming.

Thanks! Glad that remained suspenseful!

Besides not trusting the others and preferring Philippe, of course there is also the prize of Maine awaiting...
Either by trusting Philippe to hand it to a loyal vassal or preapring the ground for his own campaign against the English.

Ah yes, Maine. Something I have kept eyeing but uncertain how to actually get. ;) That factored in - I was not confident I could take it off the English. But if it comes back to France...

Next update is forthcoming shortly. It features more of a battle narrative than a straight battle scene, which hopefully works.Thanks as always for the comments!

Reactions:
Blimey that is a tangle of a story so far! No one can hold England, no one can hold France and the Anjou can hold very little. Who is going to end up on top in this France, or will it be the empire again?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 34 - January 1081
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 34
January 1081 - Peronne, France

“How many?”

Geoffrey de Semur, dressed in full mail atop a horse, held up two fingers.

Two thousand. They kept themselves together.

Foulques, from his own mount, looked over the battlefield near the town of Peronne. The English had drawn up near the town, with the Somme River protecting their right flank, while they held position along hills near the town for defense.

Housecarls and militia, though not much in the way of Norman knights, Foulques observed.

Still, with the river crossing and slight elevation, the numerical advantage - Foulques had over 4200 men - might not be enough.

“Do King Philippe’s forces show any hint of their intent?” Foulques asked Amaury.

“Nay, my lord,” the bearded commander responded. “They are within reach of the battle should we engage. But they do not move.”

“How many?” Foulques asked.

“Around 2,000,” Amaury answered.

Foulques had finally caught up with the English forces near this town in the north - the final resting place of Charles the Simple, a Frankish king who had died here some 150 years before in the hands of rebellious nobles.

Here, the enemy had elected to give battle. Foulques was prepared to oblige, but the arrival of the royal army under Philippe and Duke Etienne of Champagne early in the morning gave him pause.

Does Philippe bait me or the English?

It would be, in theory, foolhardy for Philippe to pass on a golden opportunity to crush his enemy. But perhaps he hoped both forces would exhaust themselves before riding in and defeating a tired for that had lost men and morale. The king could win his battle against the English and see one of his troublesome dukes defeated.

Or, perhaps, Philippe merely gave the show of indifference. He might come to Foulques aid in battle, once the English were committed.

There was no way to tell.

“Your orders, my lord?” Amaury asked.

Foulques looked over the enemy once more. The housecarls would take the brunt of the attack from his infantry, while spearmen militia held in reserve. Those housecarls would likely prove difficult to break through, especially if he could not use his cavalry to do so.

Still, there was little to be gained by waiting. It was time for action.

“We did not come here to sit on our hands,” Foulques said. “Prepare the men for attack.”

….

“AGAIN!”

These damn Saxons are stubborn, Foulques thought.

Lined tightly together in a shield wall, the housecarls would not break. Their formation helped limit their casualties from Foulques’ archers and meant they could not be broken up by cavalry charge. The Angevin infantry tried engaging but were forced to fall back after they could not dislodge the English axemen from their position.

Foulques hoped to move his cavalry around to hit the rear of the English infantry while it was engaged with his own, but they the river blocked them on one side, while on the other, the hills slowed their progress, and allowed the spear militia to hold them. They were at a standstill.

The horn blew and the infantry moved forward again, clanging swords and hitting their shields as they marched. The housecarls banged their own shields as they taunted, cursed and mocked the Angevin forces.

This time Foulques had his infantry stop short of the housecarls while his archers suddenly rushed through their ranks. They formed quickly and let loose a volley. The Saxons were caught off guard by this move, and could not form their shield wall in time.

By the third volley of arrows, the defensive wall had again been set up, limiting the damage. The order was given for the Angevin infantry to charge forward again,.

This time they made some progress - hitting the housecarls before they could completely unpack from their protective wall of shields. The push and flanking caused a bit of a break in the formation, and the Angevin infantry gained an advantage.

To their credit, the housecarls fell back in good order and most reformed a few hundred yards back. However, now Foulques was quick to take advantage of the momentary disorder - charging his knights forward.

But as Foulques committed, some of his knights were caught by large numbers of charging spearmen as they engaged housecarls. Others were hit by Norman knights, who, though few in number, timed their attacks to devastating precision.

Such an attack nearly was the end of Foulques as a charging Norman’s lance just narrowly missed the duke. Foulques recovered quickly, and, with his own damaged lance, managed to shove the wood into the knight’s face, wounding him and knocking him from his horse.

The Normans pulled out of the scrap, but the Angevin cavalry had its momentum blunted, forcing Foulques to sound for his knights to pull back and reform.

He was confident he would win this battle. The front the housecarls had to cover was growing as they slowly were pushed back, with their left flank being turned back. He had more cavalry and more infantry, and eventually his enemies would tire, not hold their formation as well, and break. The panic would spread.

He just had to break them first.

As he regrouped in a safe position, a small group of light cavalry under the Angevin banner rode up.

“My lord, more knights take the field!”

In his combat haze he asked “Friend or foe?”

“They carry the fleur de lis,” the man replied. “King Philippe has arrived.”

Foulques was not sure whether to be excited or frustrated. The fact that royal forces joined the fray would likely finish the resistance. The English were deployed to specifically stop the Angevin assault. Even if the royal forces numbered less than 2,000, their assault at a different point of attack would likely prove too much for the enemy to handle. Any chance the English forces had was extinguished the Frankish knights took the field.

On the other hand, while the battle still technically hung in the balance, Foulques was supremely confident the stubborn English forces would fall eventually without aid. Philippe’s arrival before that happened could allow him to claim part of the victory - or even the whole thing if he were so bold.

He would not dare, Foulques thought.

Regardless, he would find out in time. For now, he had a victory to complete.

Foulques raised his arm and the horn blew. With a kick to his steed, he led his cadre knights back into the fray.

“TO VICTORY!”

1081_Battle_of_Peronne_1.jpg

1081_Battle_of_Peronne_2.jpg

….

“TO VICTORY!”

Foulques, Amaury and de Semur hoisted their cups in the air and then drank down the contents.

The English resistance had melted away not long after the arrival of the king on the battlefield, with Duke Etienne leading the initial charge. Amaury suggested from his view on Angevin right, the English were already faltering before hand, but such things would be difficult to prove.

As they drank in the command tent, they traded plaudits. De Semur thanked his brother-in-law for giving him the opportunity to lead men, while Amaury boasted their victory would only serve to enhance that of Foulques, who had yet to lose a battle since his war with his brother.

But their celebrations were interrupted as a pair of men entered their tent.

“Presenting, Philippe, King of the Franks,” one of the men said.

The men had made sure the entrance of the tent was open as Philippe, dressed in mail with a bloodied arming sword at his side, made his way in. De Semur and Amaury immediately dropped to a knee. Foulques shook off the surprise, and quickly did the same.

“Arise Duke Foulques,” Philippe said. “And embrace your king!”

Foulques looked up to see Philippe holding out his arms. The Duke of Anjou pushed himself upright and soon found himself in a near-bear hug - who would have thought the king was that strong?

But when he pulled away, Foulques could see the wide smile on Philippe’s face. The duke let loose a small sigh - his gamble looked to have paid off.

“Gentlemen,” Philippe said. “Let me also thank you personally for your bravery today in service to your lord. Who are you, good sir?”

“Amaury, my king. Just a simple knight.”

“I think not so simple to have earned the trust of one of the realm’s greatest knights,” Philippe said. “How did your man perform today, Duke Foulques?”

“He was as reliable as ever, my king,” Foulques said.

“As I suspected,” Philippe said, “Then Amaury, the not-so-simple knight, your king thanks you.”

Amaury nodded, the smile as wide as his face.

“And who are you?”

“Geoffrey de Semur, my king.”

Philippe’s brow rose. “Your uncle is the Count of Charolais?”

“Yes, it is good of you to know and remember, my king,” de Semur said.

“How did you come to be in service of Duke Foulques?”

“I am his sister’s husband,” de Semur said.

“She is a lucky woman,” Philippe said. “Tell her when you see her next, that you have earned the personal thanks of a king. I would think her proud.”

“I… will, sire. Thank you,” de Semur said.

Philippe chuckled. “My good men, I sincerely thank you again. However, if I might have a moment with your lord.”

Amaury and de Semur did not need to be told twice. They were quickly out of the tent, as were the men with Philippe, leaving the Foulques alone with the king. Philippe smirked as he shook his head.

“You truly had me convinced,” he said. “That you had abandoned me. And then I saw you here, where Charles the Simple is buried, I thought God was mocking me. Now I see He was sending me aid.”

“I have told you many times, my king,” Foulques said, “I am your most loyal vassal.”

“And after today, I believe it,” Philippe said. He walked over to the table where the wine was located and poured himself a cup. “What convinced you to raise your own men?”

“I faced a choice, my king,” Foulques said. “Either I would stand with you, or against you. I chose to stand with you.”

“Boudewijn recruited you?” Philippe asked.

“He asks all for help,” Foulques said. “I am not special.”

“You do not believe such talk,” Philippe said. “And neither do I. You will be my marshal one day soon Duke Foulques. I am certain of that now.”

“But not now,” Foulques said.

Philippe sipped his wine. “You have been good to me, my friend. And now I shall be good to you, in sharing the truth, and what I know.”

Foulques nodded.

“First, I will be blunt,” Philippe said. “I do what I must to keep my realm together. As such, I will make offers for Boudewijn and Hugues to join my council soon.”

“But not me?”

“No,” Philippe said. “I need Guilhem placated. I can only offer my word as king that I will make you my marshal when he is no more.”

Foulques lowered his head. It was not pleasing. But even if he wished to do something, he would likely find himself without allies now.

“There is something else,” Philippe said. “I know you will be busy. For I can tell you for certain Duke Guilhem will be at war within the year.”

“Navarre?” Foulques asked.

“Yes,” Philippe said. “He seeks tribute.”

“Tribute?” Foulques said. “He may not live long enough to enjoy it.”

“That is why most who speak with him have advised against it, myself included,” Philippe said. “But he listens not.”

“And you cannot stop him?”

“Perhaps I could,” Philippe said. “But it is hardly worth it. I see no point in making him an enemy, when today he remains loyal.”

“I see,” Foulques said.

“Now, I must again, keep him as my marshal because I need his loyalty,” Philippe said. “While I know you are disappointed, you will not have much time to dwell on such matters while you are, I imagine, in Navarre.”

“In Navarre?”

“You still keep your alliance, do you not?” Philippe asked. “Duke Guilhem speaks of it enough. It is why he is confident in victory. ‘We whipped them before, and shall do so again, with ease!’ he boasts to me. I was amused the first time. It has grown annoying after hearing it for the last year.”

Foulques nodded. He was a little surprised to hear Guilhem speak of him so favorably these days but he would not complain.

“So, if you plan to lead your men, you will be in Navarre,” Philippe said. “As for when you return, who knows? I have heard the Duke is not in the best physical health, yet he insists on taking up this war. We shall see what comes of it.”

“I have heard his mind is not right,” Foulques said. “What of his body?”

“Has been better,” Philippe said. “His last procedure had ill-effects. But he is tough.”

Part of Foulques wished Guilhem would just pass on. Then he could become marshal of the realm and not waste his time, money and manpower on a pointless war with Navarre.

“I thank you for your information, my king,” Foulques said.

“As I have said,” Philippe replied, “You have earned it. Now, will you return to your keep to prepare for the war, or will you continue to take the fight to these Saxons and Normans?”

“I think I will seek the remnants of this army,” Foulques said. “Once I have dispatched it, I will return to Anjou and await my ally to begin his war.”

“I can ask for nothing more,” Philippe said. He walked over and hugged Foulques again. “Good hunting Duke Foulques. May God keep you safe in your endeavors. Until we meet again.”

“Thank you my king,” Foulques said as he lowered his head. “And the same blessings upon you.”

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Blimey that is a tangle of a story so far! No one can hold England, no one can hold France and the Anjou can hold very little. Who is going to end up on top in this France, or will it be the empire again?

Glad to have you aboard! And I don't know the answers to those questions myself just yet! I've played a bit in advance, but plenty of uncertainty remains with England, France and the future of Anjou (and some other provinces that may find themselves in chaos thanks to Angevin meddling, intentional or not;)).

Reactions:
In my limited experience, France especially is open to manipulation of families and bloodlines. Because there's so many duchies all packed in together all the families are very interrelated. You get the loyalty of one and you can gain half the land without bloodshed if you...well, spill a little bit of blood elsewhere...

Reactions:
In my limited experience, France especially is open to manipulation of families and bloodlines. Because there's so many duchies all packed in together all the families are very interrelated. You get the loyalty of one and you can gain half the land without bloodshed if you...well, spill a little bit of blood elsewhere...

You're not wrong. Sometimes it happens without putting in much effort either. Let's just say I've got one eye to what may happen when Foulques actually does kick off. (Not that I want him to go, I like the guy) At least one of his descendants is in a very interesting position. ;)

Reactions:
A remarkably frank conversation (if you allow the pun).

I do think Foulques is being played here somewhat, a little blindsided perhaps. But ... not unjustly so. But also, this turn of events should still leave him in credit, as it were. What is his great gift? His martial ability, and that reputation has been reinforced. The King's Saviour is a nifty title. I am sure someone on his Council can think to propagate that image - perhaps even Foulques can himself.

And the advice the King essentially offers is not bad: patience is named a virtue, after all.

• 1Like
Reactions: