• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Twitter

While you can find trade value in space in the Le Guin update, the true source of commercial wealthy is planets - especially heavily urbanized ones. As for what trade value does exactly... that you will find out in tomorrow's dev diary.

DoB49aNWsAA0hEL.jpg
That's not an ecumenopolis. That's a habitat.

Edit: Wait, I went and checked and habitats are smaller than that now. My bad.

Edit #2: Actually, I think I see how Ecums work now. They're planets that use the habitat districts. Looks like Housing, Leisure, Trade, and Research from left to right. Given that these districts make habitats worth it despite having only 6 size...Damn.

Last edited:
Should've been obvious just from the cityscape graphic.

Tbh, I'd love to see the current habitat graphic modified to include our city type. And preferably scaled to prevent this from happening if it's someone's capital.

Tbh, I'd love to see the current habitat graphic modified to include our city type. And preferably scaled to prevent this from happening if it's someone's capital.

That's a cool idea. Agri planets could have rolling fields between a small number of buildings (with some hydroponic domes sprinkled in), forge worlds covered in factories etc. The new system flagging planets with different names seems easy to fit new artwork into.

It is a annoying bug that exists for a long time now, but my capital isn't that often a habitat. More annoying is that the same bug exists for machine worlds and my capital is very often terraformed into a machine world if I play as a machine empire.

Is everyone just assuming that an ecumenopolis will be some special planet type, or am I missing something? My assumption was that it was just part of the planet flavor text, and therefore will not actually do anything in itself.

Is everyone just assuming that an ecumenopolis will be some special planet type, or am I missing something? My assumption was that it was just part of the planet flavor text, and therefore will not actually do anything in itself.
Probably a special planet type, given The Core had its own special icon instead of the regular Gaia one

It is a annoying bug that exists for a long time now, but my capital isn't that often a habitat. More annoying is that the same bug exists for machine worlds and my capital is very often terraformed into a machine world if I play as a machine empire.

The empire in the pic is a machine uprising that just so happened to choose a habitat as its capital. Which does seem appropriate for an AI empire. :p

DhV3hJKXcAABeAC.jpg

Twitter

While you can find trade value in space in the Le Guin update, the true source of commercial wealthy is planets - especially heavily urbanized ones. As for what trade value does exactly... that you will find out in tomorrow's dev diary.

DoB49aNWsAA0hEL.jpg
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but did they change the "Resource Production" thing that's beneath the Trade Value tooltip?

Before, they broke it down into production and expenses, but this looks like it's just showing the net gain/loss.

They wouldn't give us information featuring paid content without explicitly signposting it.

They never really gave us that information officially besides that new planet graphic teaser. Wiz never really told us "hey guys, we are going to have this new feature called ecumenopolis and it will work like X"

Nothing concrete has been said, but it's likely that infrastructure and housing were rolled into one, since the both primarily came from the same source and didn't interact with eachother.

if they have been rolled together, i hope it's called infrastructure and not housing...

THE MACHINE-GOD IS TIRED OF TEASERS. WHEN IS THE PATCH RELEASING, FLESHLING?
I shall read the tea leaves!

Leviathan had 11 diaries before release and was released after the last one.

Utopia had patch notes at 14 dev diaries and was released the week after the diary 14.

Synthetic Dawn had patch notes at diary 15 and released a week later.

Apocalypse had patch notes at 14 dev diaries and released a week later.

Distant Stars was an outlier.

So we're looking at another month and a halfish if the tea leaves didn't lie and the pattern holds. Plus any missed diaries. Of course they are completely reworking the economy from scratch, so they might have more diaries than normal.

Of course, they probably want to have it out for cyber Monday. And you should wait to cyber Monday to buy it anyway because there will probably be discounts. Resist the temptation to spend extra money to have shiny, shiny new content over your thanksgiving break. Delicious shiny new content.

Finally, since this is programming not even PDX knows when they will really be finished! Until you have a stable version you can push off onto clients nothing is set in stone!

Disclaimer: I am not PDX, I just read tea leaves.

tl;dr: I'm not PDX, but my WAG is before Cyber-Monday.

They wouldn't give us information featuring paid content without explicitly signposting it.

Well, there was not any actual information about it, like mentioning in the DevDiary. Just small teasers with half hidden screenshots. Also it seems to use Utopia-related content: special habitats districts which as far as we know can't be build on anything available in the base game, even on the RW. Also its represented on the new loading screen which is likely to be DLC related. And ecumenopolis is just ideal to be payed content. It doesn't actually give anything nessesary for the gameplay yet it's a nice extra flavour feature. If it's not in the DLC than what?

So, no matter how much I would like it to be free of charge, I'm betting 200 told-you-so-bucks on ecumenopolis being beyond the pay-wall.

More jobs/economy stuff
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1045232758421958656

"In the meanwhile, here's a look at some of the iteration that has happened since we published the DDs on the Planetary Rework - luxuries have been re-themed back into Consumer Goods, and are needed for pop jobs such as Research - a strong civilian economy will benefit science."

DoFoyHuX0AAcusB.jpg

DoFoyHsW0AAuCSi.jpg

"This, of course, is different with Gestalts, who have their own versions of research jobs that use large amounts of raw resources instead."

DoFrG4xXcAAv_yl.jpg

DoFrG5JWsAAbY1J.jpg

Consumer Goods make a lot more sense and I didn't really feel like the gold ring was a particularly good representation(especially to cover many different kinds of civs) of "luxury" goods. Good change in all regards.