• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Churchill's bricklaying aptitude leading to his brief membership of the Amalgamated Union of Building Trades Workers remains one of my favourite facts about him. Captures his impish sense of humour and the complexity of the man.

Keyes was real, and lived an incredibly rich life with successful careers in the Royal Navy and then in Parliament. His finest moment, as a Parliamentarian, was probably his contribution (in full uniform, defying Parliamentary convention) to the Norway Debate in 1940.
As others have said, his pre-Parlimentary life was also pretty incredible and you did capture the interplay between him and Churchill very well.

I appreciate that this is the lawyer lecturing the engineer
This always goes well and never, ever leads to utter disaster, the engineer being proved right and the lawyer just refusing to talk about the subject ever again.
DYAEiOu.gif
*Represses the flashbacks*. You rarely get engineers lecturing lawyers, though this is mostly due to engineers not being able to afford the hourly rates necessary for a lawyer to attend and be lectured at.

The IJN swapped the 6" turrets on the Mogami for 8" in about a year, and that included fixing some other fundamental design flaws. The Scharnhorsts were designed to have the 11" triples swapped for 15" twins and had the extra capacity built in, but the German navy was always far too low down the priority list to do the work. When the KGVs were being built the three main turrets (and associated magazines and handling systems, etc) were installed sequentially and that took just over a year as well. Take it all together and I'm happy that a year seems about right for the works. Money wise, the cost of new guns and turrets is utterly going to dominate over the labour required to fit them, so around £2million for new guns and turrets based on KGV costs. And £2million is a lot of money, you could get four new Tribal class destroyers for that so this is not a small bit of work.

So I certainly agree the Royal Navy shouldn't swap turrets after they've build the ships, if nothing else it's a waste of dockyard time. But making the design capable of taking 15" turrets so the last three ships can be built that way if (when) the escalator clause is invoked just seems common sense.

Shall we have a discussion on the incredibly strange political career and political ideas of Winston S. Churchill? Because its like reading the hit list of all the important legislation Parliament passed in the first 50 years of the 20th Century.

1589812099543.png

Chapter 14, Downing Street, 11 April 1936

1589812138176.png

Baldwin sagged into the deck chair. The Downing Street gardens were not his usual stomping ground, but today he felt the need to get out of the stuffy Georgian terrace (“the rabbit hutch” was Churchills’s caustic view of the building) and enjoy the bright spring day.

One of the secretaries kindly and discreetly followed him with a tray upon which there was a tumbler full of lemonade and a slice of some form of cake. And so, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom sat in his garden and had an early afternoon tea (well, lemonade). The lemonade was excellent and the cake (carrot cake) nice and moist, and so, after involuntarily sniffing the cake (a recent habit) for a moment he allowed himself to relax. Loosening his collar and tie, he even closed his eyes for a fleeting instant.

“Prime Minister,” Hankey said quietly, but firmly.

The sigh with which Baldwin welcomed his Cabinet Secretary was almost operatic. The tension that had been ebbing away reasserted itself; his shoulders hurt immediately and he felt the twitch under his eye flickering. “Yes,” he said sadly.

“The Foreign Secretary is here.”

“Anthony? That’s unexpected isn’t it? Any idea what about?”

Hankey, who was as ever professional, nodded. “Ethiopia, Prime Minister. I think that with the Italian campaign almost concluded he has questions to ask.”

“Sanctions, it’ll be the sanctions. Thank you Maurice,” Baldwin said wearily, and then nodded his thanks as the secretary brought out a second helping of cake, another tumbler as well as the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs (Baldwin was delighted by the almost ceremonial entrance of the cake, with Eden, less so). “Lemonade, Anthony?”

“Ah, er, yes, of course. Thank you.” This was a side to Baldwin that Eden had rarely seen. He perched himself on a convenient table. “Prime Minister,” Eden began primly, trying not to show envy for the half-eaten carrot cake on the plate beside Baldwin, “I would like one of cruisers to be on station off Djibouti.”

Baldwin rubbed tired eyes. “Er, Dji-what?”

“It’s a port, Prime Minister, in French Somaliland,” Eden said with his effortless air of superiority. “I would like a warship to be on station there.”

Baldwin found the energy to sit up and stare, squarely, at his Foreign Secretary. “That sounds awfully like a commitment. And why? You think that there is a chance of Ethiopian refugees?”

Eden offered a knowing smile. “It’s one particular refugee that I’m interested in.”

If ever the phrase ‘the penny dropped’ was fitting, it was now. “Haile Selassie?” Baldwin closed his eyes again, sinking down into the deck chair. “You are proposing that His Majesty’s Government offers asylum to the Ethiopian Emperor?”

Eden made an utterly unreadable expression. Hankey, who was hovering close by, approached the two politicians. “Has any other country made an overture?”

Eden nodded as he recalled the details. “Switzerland, and that’s all I’m afraid,” he said airily.

“Vansittart?”

“He thinks that we should offer him refuge.” Next to Baldwin, Hankey made a wry smile which Baldwin noticed.

“C’mon then, out with it.”

“Prime Minister, I haven’t said a word!”

“Precisely, your silence is thunderous,” Baldwin quipped. “What are the dangers?”

“Italy can protest, but we are entitled to recognise the legitimate Government of Ethiopia and its Head of State. It would risk a further rupture,” Hankey said pointedly, “with the Italians just as we need their support, or at least not their opposition, with Germany.”

Baldwin rubbed a hand over his chin. “Are there variations on this?” Hankey raised an eyebrow.

Eden looked disappointed. “There are,” he said, carefully. “Malkin,” he said the name of the Foreign Office lawyer with evident distaste, “has proposed that we offer him status as a visitor to the United Kingdom, rather than political exile.”

Hankey nodded, he liked it immediately and smiled. Baldwin could see that Eden looked dismayed. Looking from one to the other, Baldwin felt his usual irritation with the annoying foreign matters of protocol and obligation.

“What do the lawyers say?”

“Well, Prime Minister, the advice of Malkin is that by avoiding full diplomatic honour and protocol we avoid having to decide our policy on his status and that of any Ethiopian Government-in-exile.”

1589812527898.png

“Haven’t we,” Hankey began, probing to test the plan’s weaknesses, “already conferred recognition of him and his status by acting against Italy. The sanctions, I mean,” he said in clarification to a confused looking Baldwin.

“Ye-es, but no,” Eden replied, confusing everyone even further. “We have condemned the Italians, conferring, I suppose, an element of recognition or legitimacy upon the Ethiopians, but in terms of formally declaring him the legitimate ruler, I don’t think so.”

Baldwin smiled sadly at Eden. “You would like, Anthony, to do this?”

“I would, Prime Minister. I think, I firmly believe, that it is the right thing to do.”

“And the Admiralty can spare a warship?”

“HMS Enterprise is in the area anyway and can be off Somaliland in a day or so.”

“Monsell keen to do it, is he?”

“I believe,” Eden said evasively, offering the coquettish smile, “that he and I are aligned on this.”

Baldwin looked to Hankey, who, unhelpfully, shrugged. “Proceed, Anthony, Enterprise to collect Haile Selassie if he requests ‘assistance’. Enterprise is not to go hoisting the ‘come aboard' flag, he has to ask for assistance.” Baldwin was being careful with his words. “Only for him and his immediate family, Anthony, I don’t want their parliament convening on the decks of our warship.”

“I’m not sure,” Hankey said primly, “that they have a parliament.” That earned him a withering look from both Eden and Baldwin. “But in all seriousness, what are we calling the Emperor’s stay with us? Exile? Refuge?”

Eden, for whom this was a matter of honour, looked down at his shoes. Baldwin saw the younger man’s disapproval and sipped on his lemonade. “He is,” he began, “visiting us as a private citizen. So, no ceremonial…”

“…the Admiralty will want to instruct the Captain of Enterprise on this…”

Baldwin raised a hand. “I know, Anthony, so get the Navy to sort it out.” Inspiration struck him as he remembered that Hankey had a Naval (or was it Royal Marines?) connection. “Sir Maurice, what is your advice?”

“He will be expecting something, Prime Minister. We instruct the Captain of Enterprise to meet him with a small group, Officer of the Day and all that. They can offer a courtesy salute at the gangway,” Hankey looked up, recalling his military service, “and piping him aboard, while not necessary for the status afforded, would be a nice touch. But no honour guard, that’ll attract attention.”

Baldwin nodded. “Good. Now, where do we stick him?”

“Here,” Eden said immediately. Hankey winced, which seemed to amuse Baldwin and infuriate Eden.

“If not Britain,” Baldwin said, “where?”

Hankey took a deep breath, and in a professorial tone calmly began his exposition. “He will, no doubt, end up in England, but might I suggest that we allow the tensions from the war to quieten before we offer him a high-profile reception here in the United Kingdom.”

Baldwin was bored. “So, where?”

“Where was Enterprise going?”

Eden looked at his notebook. “Ah, Haifa, I believe.”

Hankey shrugged. “That’ll do.”

Eden shook his head and stroked his moustache. “But not for very long, we do not want an African Christian causing dissent within an area of tension.”

Baldwin nodded. “Agreed. We need to get him away from Africa. Allow him to land in Haifa, stretch his legs, then we place him on another cruiser, one going West. A protocol sheet to be circulated to the Governors or whatever, of wherever he sets foot.” He sagged back into the deckchair, signalling the end of the meeting. “Oh, what else?”

Eden smiled the simpering smile, again. “We have, ah, been invited, by the Turkish Government, to, ah, reconsider the Straits Convention element of the Treaty of Lausanne.”

Baldwin frowned deeply; this was deep foreign affairs stuff. “The what?”

“The Turkish Straits, Prime Minister. The Turks have written, formally, a note verbale to Avenol asking for reconsideration of the legal status of the Turkish straits.”

“The Dardanelles?” That was Hankey.

“Indeed. Their letter to the esteemed League Secretary-General suggested a conference to determine a new legal regime. I think we should send a delegation.”

Baldwin was not in an area of expertise and so looked to Hankey. “Sir Maurice?”

Hankey knew that he was being passed the issue, and smiled thinly. “I think that it is a good idea.”

Baldwin now vaguely remembered a promise. “Have we told them anything?”

Eden offered a very evasive smile. “We suggested, with the French, that if they supported the League and stood firm over Ethiopia that we would, ah, support them when a revision of the free passage provision came up.”

“Don’t we want free passage through the Dardanelles?”

Eden shook his head. “I believe,” he emphasised the ‘I’, “that it is more important to offer Turkey the dignity of her pre-existing rights, to limit the Russians, and to develop a powerful bulwark in the Eastern Mediterranean.”

“We did,” Hankey clarified, in the professorial tone again, “support the Straits elements of Lausanne. We liked the idea, as the leading maritime power, of chasing a hostile fleet…”

“…a Russian fleet,” Baldwin said bluntly.

“Just so, into the Black Sea.”

Eden took up the point. “But, ah, now,” he drawled the ‘now’ so that it sounded ‘nowwww’, “we need Turkey as a powerful counterweight to Italy. The Balkan agreements of the last few years…”

“…yes, yes, Anthony,” Baldwin said, bored of this. “You make your point, Britain will stand by her earlier assurances.” He turned to Hankey, “was that minuted?” Hankey shook his head, “then her earlier implied assurances, and support Turkey’s attempt at revision. Thank you, Anthony.”

Hankey half raised a hand as Eden got to leave. “Might I ask, Foreign Secretary, what became of the questionnaire?”

Eden winced; the notion of sending an exquisitely drafted letter to Hitler, personally, had been his (egged on, heavily, by Neville Chamberlain) and had been sent, in the frustrating period immediately after the Rhineland crisis. It had asked, in flowery terms, what treaties Hitler intended to follow. “Er, no, Sir Maurice, we haven’t heard back.”

Baldwin had been bored by the prospect but thought it preferable to more overt means. “Not to worry, Anthony,” he said, softly, “it was a genuinely noble effort.”

Hankey nodded sympathetically. “Some would say a most courageous decision, Secretary of State.”

Eden looked, suspiciously, at them both. “So we just leave them? The Germans.” As ever it was pronounced ‘djarrmanns’.

“Yes, Anthony, we do. Thank you,” Baldwin said simply.

“And what of the King’s directive?” He was referring to the King's attempt to meddle during the Rhineland incident.

I will deal with that, Anthony,” Baldwin said with some passion. “That’s my concern.”

“You know,” Eden said in his languid way, “that he is taking tea with all sorts up at Belvedere. I heard a rumour that Winston has been over there.”

Baldwin managed to not react, but made a mental note to talk to the Chief Whip, and Wigram at the Palace, about that. “The foreign press?”

“Oh, we’re inundated with forwarded reports about the King and Mrs Simpson. The fact that he continues to have an admirable balance between his proclivities with her and his duties of, ah…”

“…kinging?” Hankey offered, trying to help.

“Ah, well, ye-es. God help us if he takes her abroad anywhere.”

That was a valid point; there had been talk, for a while, of some form of summer jaunt, although thankfully the details were sketchy. Another proposal had been that His Majesty could go to his Canadian ranch, but Prime Minister King was as ever, quite evasive on this matter. "I’ll mention it,” Baldwin said gruffly.

“You’re meeting with him?” Hankey was surprised but pleased. The weekly audiences between Sovereign and Prime Minister were haphazard and infrequent at the moment.

“I am, I’ve been invited to dinner. Nice letter from Wigram, inviting Lucy and I. I’ll go, I’ve asked Gowdin-Froll…”

“You mean,” Hankey corrected, with boundless patience, “Godfrey-Fausset, his Equerry.”

“Aye, ‘im. I’ve asked for time for an audience beforehand.”

Eden, mollified, got up and quietly left. Hankey waited until the Foreign Secretary had stalked back towards the Foreign Office. Baldwin, who had closed his eyes, realised that the Cabinet Secretary was still there, looking expectantly at him.

“Oh, what now?”

“One more matter, Prime Minister. We may need to open an investigation.”

Baldwin immediately sat up. “That sounds, awfully, like trouble.”

Hankey nodded. “We have received several allegations into the leaking of budgetary secrets.”

“From Cabinet?”

“From Cabinet,” Hankey confirmed.

“Do you have a suspect in mind?” Hankey’s innocent expression suggested that he was hiding something. “You do!”

“Our gaze has fallen, unfortunately, upon the Colonial Secretary.”

“Little Jimmy Thomas?” Baldwin thought about it. “I could see it, Maurice, now that you mention it.”

“With your permission, Prime Minister, I would like to investigate it, publicly if necessary.”

“Alright,” Baldwin said. “That will mean that I will need to address the Commons.”

Hankey nodded in agreement. “And Thomas will have to be told.”

“Get him over,” Baldwin said, unhappily. “Tomorrow morning, first thing.”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GAME NOTES

This is a ‘wrap up’ update, tidying up (and introducing) some minor plotlines based on real 1936 events.

The first, and probably most important, is the looming conclusion of the Ethiopian war. The British really did send HMS Enterprise off the Horn of Africa and she did end up embarking Haile Selassie. A bizarre period of half imprisonment / half pleasure cruise thus commenced, with the Cabinet keeping him on a rotating little group of cruisers chugging around the Med until he could eventually come to England. The argument about what, precisely, Haile Selassie’s status would be is equally real, and caused utter confusion to Colonial officials across the region (Gibraltar, in particular, appears to have collapsed into panic about it). I mulled an update on this, but felt that ‘man walks on ship’ would be dull.

And then to Turkey, who acted entirely (as did the British) as portrayed here. This would lead, eventually, to the infamous Montreux Convention, a contentious bit of International Law that still causes huge excitement – the requirement to declare (to the Turks, via a pompously written note from the Defence Attache of your nation) warship transits means that declarations by Russia / NATO are seized upon and analysed to death by t’other side. What can be said is that is has regulated the Black Sea, it provides a clear framework for using the Black Sea as a military jousting arena, and the Turks, from what I have seen, manage it as equally (given that they’re an occasionally pro-Russian NATO member) as they can.

So if the first two points weren’t mad enough, did the British Government really write to Hitler and ask him what treaties he had decided to follow? Incredulously, it did, and although the initiator is unknown (or, more accurately, there are a few names, in various sources, for the idea), it would have had to have been sanctioned by Eden and Vansittart. Eden in early ’36 was in an odd place – we have seen his struggles both within the Foreign Office and without. I think that, as we have already commented, he and the FO were incredibly stretched in early ’36: the sheer scale of crises and conferences is truly bewildering. The questionnaire, I think, is a silly, unthinking gesture – had the FO had capacity then somebody, Vansittart, or Stanhope, or somebody, should have realised that it was a bloody silly thing to do. The Germans, of course, ignored it completely, adding to the embarrassment and ignominy.

The King gets a mention, he meddled precisely as described and Baldwin was certainly very, very irritated by it, another breach and one that will shortly be raised with him.

And finally, the scandal of ’36. In an actually really silly little scandal, there was an allegation around this time that someone was misusing Cabinet information, particularly on budgetary matters, for financial gain. More on this to come…

Throughout all of this is, I hope, a sense of Baldwin’s failing capacity; in reality he faded, slowly, from dominance and all but went into semi-retirement – the Abdication fiasco was the only thing that really got his attention in reality. The twitch and the weird habit of sniffing everything (and I mean everything) that he was handed did indeed develop in early 1936.

@stnylan: Thank you – he’s an odd one to write about, for sure. I also think that everyone has ‘their’ Churchill, a characteristic or portrayal that one just cannot shake off. For me, it’s the Michael Dobbs Churchill in his novels, probably similar to the Albert Finney portrayal in The Gathering Storm.

@DensleyBlair: I was born and spent my formative years in NE England, although thankfully in a delightful old coastal village rather than the cities. But any journey across the region ended up with an encounter of some God awful architectural mishap.

It’s interesting, your point on how Churchill is perceived. Having mentioned ‘God’s little acre’ I may as well report that Churchill’s rep up there is mixed, particularly among the older ones who remember his views on the miners.

@Bullfilter: Thank you, as ever.

@TheButterflyComposer: TBH the game stayed ‘on rails’ until I started messing with it.

@Specialist290: Thank you – and agree, actually, about Edward.

@El Pip: Pah. You’ll just google your ‘expert opinion’ and then agree with the other chap anyway.

@TheButterflyComposer: And every major event seemed to have a Churchill angle to it…

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
“…yes, yes, Anthony,” Baldwin said, bored of this. “You make your point,

This has been discussed in Butterfly's and other places before but I am quite disgusted at the apathy of the British government of this period. They don the seem to care much about anything, including the empire, the world, their own country or even selfish stuff like staying in office. This kind of sluggish borderline incompetence through inaction and overextension makes the UKs post war reputation much more understandable, and a lot of intelligence officers disgust about the government more appreciable (Fleming in particular practically drips contempt on the whole thing, save for individual and especially talented civil servants).

The king wanting to go have a joy ride to Canada and King's wariness over it is amusing. Perhaps he knows how easy it is for Edward to usurp his place using HOI mechanics?

Reading this one can almost feel Baldwin starting to buckle under the strain of his office. There is this great sense of just trying to get through the day. , a man whose energies are spent, or nearly so. Even in his indignation about Churchill seems muted like light through fog.

There is almost something similar in Eden's portrayal here. Not quite so pronounced - we only have an external view of Eden here of course. But the sense of yet another flap.

Turkey is interesting in that it at the time formed a defensive alliance with its former enemies Yugoslavia and Romania (and if i remember correctly, Greece) against its former ally Bulgaria; Turkey was also fortunate enough to be able to stay out of WW2 alltogether, unlike the other Balkan countries.

Turkey is interesting in that it at the time formed a defensive alliance with its former enemies Yugoslavia and Romania (and if i remember correctly, Greece) against its former ally Bulgaria; Turkey was also fortunate enough to be able to stay out of WW2 alltogether, unlike the other Balkan countries.

Huh, that's pretty clever diplomacy since Bulgaria was indeed the threat out of all of them.

Reading this one can almost feel Baldwin starting to buckle under the strain of his office. There is this great sense of just trying to get through the day. , a man whose energies are spent, or nearly so. Even in his indignation about Churchill seems muted like light through fog.

There is almost something similar in Eden's portrayal here. Not quite so pronounced - we only have an external view of Eden here of course. But the sense of yet another flap.

Yes, thus you wonder why anyone was surprised a disaster was looming. Everyone, including the people who were super into peace, were exhausted from attempting to run something far too large to be run and a country as well. The British look exhausted, the French are exhausted, Germany looks invincible and unrestrained.

Given the palpable sense of a tired and apathetic government, and worse a tired and apathetic establishment and civil service, a King who will shake things up should be welcomed. There are men of energy and talent even in that tired old government so there is still potential, if different names rise to the top, or rise earlier, things could be very different.

But I have a deep sense of unease about the entire situation as I fear the treatment may well be worse than the disease.

Baldwin had been bored by the prospect but thought it preferable to more overt means. “Not to worry, Anthony,” he said, softly, “it was a genuinely noble effort.”

Hankey nodded sympathetically. “Some would say a most courageous decision, Secretary of State.”

Eden looked, suspiciously, at them both.

OOF.

-----

Baldwin definitely comes across here as a man who is exhausted and just wants to be done with everything -- which is definitely understandable at this point in time, and especially given that it seems as though the entire Government has been in crisis mode at least since KGV passed on. I can't help but get the impression that the main thing on his mind throughout this whole chapter is the lemonade and carrot cake.

Eden, meanwhile... It might just be me, but it seems like he's just a bit scattershot here, focusing on the trees and missing the forest. First he's concerned about appeasing Italy to play them against Germany, then the next moment he's talking about appeasing Turkey to play them against Italy. I understand that foreign policy sometimes involves balancing many subtle and intricate factors and deceptively fragile relationships, but I can't help but get the feeling from this update (and, on reflection, some of the earlier ones, but it really seems to come to the fore here) that he's reacting more than acting. Part of that might be simply due to the aforementioned general state of crisis, but I do have to wonder if Eden actually has any sort of plan for all this besides trying to head off the next possible flash point with a short-term solution that simply keeps kicking the can down the road to some vague "later."

Reactions:
Well, I wonder if our favouwite would-be Pwimer Minister may get a chance to pwosper and wise...

Reactions:
Well, I wonder if our favouwite would-be Pwimer Minister may get a chance to pwosper and wise...

Lack of anyone else either wanting it or being allowed to have it. Unless his maj works his magic. Turns out this was all build up to the insane Kings party decision branch...

• 1Like
Reactions:
after involuntarily sniffing the cake (a recent habit)
the weird habit of sniffing everything (and I mean everything) that he was handed did indeed develop in early 1936.
So Baldwin has become a cakesniffer (among other things)!? I suppose he was indeed in the middle of a series of unfortunate events. :D (the book series was big when our children were young - we read the whole thing to them as each came out). I wonder if Baldwin was expecting poison - this isn’t CK2 is it!?
“…the Admiralty will want to instruct the Captain of Enterprise on this…”
One can only hope its captain was James T Kirk. :rolleyes:;)
Now now, Sir Maurice, no need to use such strong and condemnatory language. A simple “pointless and humiliating demonstration of one’s diplomatic irrelevance” would have been sufficient.
“One more matter, Prime Minister. We may need to open an investigation.” .... “We have received several allegations into the leaking of budgetary secrets.”
A leak inquiry? A public leak inquiry? Now I really can’t get Sir Humphrey, Bernard Woolley and Jim Hacker out of an imaginary discussion in my mind about the actual purpose and relative merits of doing such a quixotic thing. :D
The Germans, of course, ignored it completely, adding to the embarrassment and ignominy.
I suppose a bit of masterful inaction by the Germans over that questionnaire is about the closest they ever came to subtlety. Which is not very. Rat cunning maybe, but not nuance or sophistication. Blunt instruments, mainly.

Thanks once again for an entertaining episode, and a glimpse of No 10’s backyard.

I really enjoyed that update, Le Jones. A lovely focus on foreign affairs, and it allowed for a very subtle character study of the actors involved. Baldwin is looking more and more like a man who simply wants to return to a quiet life in the Severn Valley, while the scale of Eden's brief seems to have apparently brought out a strangely quixotic scheming nature. Reminds me of sorry Lord Stanley's quip about foreign affairs being akin to floating adrift on a raft with only a paddle to bat away obstacles.

With the hint about Edward getting up to his old tricks and keeping a circle of his own counsel, I do wonder whether we are headed towards a sort of King's Party.

1590127881914.png

Chapter 15, Cairo, 17 April 1936

1590127911185.png

The Englishman, always well dressed (if unshowy), had often taken his coffee away from fellow Europeans. April was the last of the cooler months, although it was forecast to reach a balmy 27 degrees this afternoon and so a good coffee in a cool side street was a morning pursuit. In improving Arabic he ordered a pastry to go with his coffee, tried to read a days old French newspaper, and enjoyed the fact that he had a job in which he wasn’t always a slave to a desk. This free morning in a foreign city was one of the odder parts of the job, being Military Assistant to a Major General, though not unpleasant. His ‘principal’, meaning the senior officer that he served, was due to fly home to Whitehall where he was the Army’s Director of Operations and Intelligence, a demanding role that meant that he was routinely kept on a ‘tight leash’ in London. The hours were long and the work demanding but not varied. This ‘jolly’ to Egypt had been a Godsend for the principal and the outer office alike.

His timing was still good, as he finished the coffee and abandoned the newspaper just as the staff car screeched to a halt beside him. Corporal Mukungurutse, a jovial, perpetually underemployed African Rhodesian from the King’s African Rifles who had, somehow, been forgotten by his regiment amidst the War Office bureaucracy and was, therefore, a bit of a ‘dogsbody’ in Cairo, had been a real find for General Dill and his small staff, and Belsay was genuinely attempting to engineer a way for him to accompany them back to Whitehall (much to the disgust of Mukungurutse, who knew everybody, seemingly, in Cairo, and had a superb network for ‘snaffling’ stuff). Mukungurutse, with a grin as wide as the Delta, rolled out of the car and saved his bearing with a perfect salute.

“Des,” the Military Assistant, Major Belsay of the Durham Light Infantry, greeted Mukungurutse. In typical senior officer fashion General Dill had misheard Mukungurutse’s name and had half-heartedly christened him ‘Des’. The name had stuck. “Shall we go and get the General?”

“I think so,” Mukungurutse, with the self-worth of the expert functionary, said with a nod of assent.

“What’s he been up to this morning?”

“He read some letters from England,” Mukungurutse said ‘England’ with distaste, “and took a call.”

“Who from?” That was important, as Belsay was supposed to help the General with policy matters.

“Not sure, Sir, someone from the Navy, I think. Maybes about the base, in Alexandria. ADC was with him.”

As the staff car rolled up to Dill’s hotel the ADC, a slightly overweight cavalryman named Coles-Craven, was waiting for them. “Morning Hugh,” he greeted Belsay familiarly, “the old man is just coming down now.”

“Anything to report? Any calls?”

“A chat with a Captain Phillips at the Admiralty, then with Elles, and something domestic. I gather we’re invited to a dance when we get back.”

Belsay ignored Coles-Craven’s languid answers. “What did the Admiralty want?”

“More faff about where to put their ships, I gather.”

Belsay fumed. “And what did Elles want?” Elles was the Master General of the Ordnance.

“To understand the mobilisation plans should the Frogs want to do something about the Abyssinian mess,” he said flippantly.

“Hmmn, I think that he’s missed the bus there, if London was going to do something they would have done it by now. Ok, look smart!”

1590127996747.png

Major General John Dill, looking as smart as his tropical service dress and solar topee would allow, emerged with another officer in tow. “Budge up, Hugh,” he said briskly, “ADC, follow us in a taxi. We are taking General Weir with us.”

Belsay, deftly, hopped out of the back of the car and into the front. Craven-Coles, robbed of his seat by Belsay, hid a smile at what looked like a convoluted parlour game as everyone else, (bar, of course Mukungurutse, who was relishing his serene place as driver) clambered over and around one another and hailed a taxi. When their guest was seated with Dill at the back (and Dill, typically, gave nothing away – if he felt any humour he didn’t show it) Mukungurutse sped off.

“Lieutenant General Sir George Weir, my Military Assistant, Major Belsay.” Weir, introduced to Belsay (who wondered if this was technically a breach of etiquette, as the junior man should be introduced to the senior) by Dill, nodded jovially. “I thought that we could continue our discussions in the car.”

“Dammit man, I do understand,” Weir, who as a short, almost swarthy man was the ‘polar opposite’ to the pale, elegant Dill, proved to be different in temperament too. “So that ass Lampson blundered, I do understand. I was there, I do understand.”

“I think that he panicked,” Dill said, Belsay nodding. The performance of Miles Lampson in the opening sessions of negotiations had been the talk of the British delegation. Normally so forthright, perhaps even overbearing, particularly with the Egyptians, Belsay had been astonished, as a young Major learning about wider military and political issues, and then uncomfortably embarrassed, when the High Commissioner had blundered through his presentation. The Egyptians had become utterly confused, and had stopped discussions for clarification on a range of issues. Dill and Weir had ridden to the rescue

“So, are we saying that ‘Stage A’ is off the menu?”

Dill was thinking so Belsay, who had accompanied his master throughout, gulped and took the plunge. “I think, Sir, that we passed ‘Stage B’, never mind ‘A’.” Belsay trod a fine line here, Dill was not a fan of ‘cheerleading’, a phrase that Belsay had not, initially, understood but which Craven-Coles had explained was an American term; the point was that Dill usually preferred his staff to speak only when they had a good point. His principal’s subtle nod confirmed to Belsay that on this occasion, he had judged it correctly.

Weir frowned. “Remind me, Major, what is the difference between ‘B’ and ‘C’.”

Belsay looked to Dill who nodded again and Belsay plunged into another explanation. “Sir, ‘B’ involves no changes to the Canal…”

“None of ‘em do,” Weir growled.

“Indeed Sir,” Belsay said with forced politeness. “But ‘B’ involves evacuating Kasr-el-Nil Barracks and the Citadel here in Cairo for Abbassia and Helmieth in the suburbs. ‘C’ goes even further, a withdrawal to RAF Helouan.”

“It’s too dammed far,” Weir said angrily.

“I think,” Dill began, “that this is a fair assessment, Sir George. And an RAF aerodrome is hardly the ideal defensible position for infantry. Thank you, Hugh,” he said to Belsay.

“Whose mad idea was this?”

“CIGS,” Dill said coolly.

“Which one?” That was a fair question, as Sir Archibald Montgomery-Massingbird was about to retire. “Is it Archie?”

Dill nodded. “When I left London for this tour he was insistent.” This was where Dill, even as the junior general, had more ‘clout’; he had just come from London and knew the views of the Service chiefs and Cabinet.

“But Johnnie, it’s mad. It’s like not occupying London, but insisting on hanging on to Richmond.” Belsay stifled a chuckle at that analogy. “Please tell me that Cyril sees that!”

Dill frowned slightly at Weir’s flippancy, and the use of first names. To Belsay it made sense, as Weir was of the same generation as the two Field Marshals, whereas Dill was slightly younger, from the generation just creeping up to take over. “I think that Sir Cyril understands your concerns, he and I discussed it and his advice,” Dill said carefully, as Deverell was not yet in a position to give orders, “to me was that some greater concessions will cost us little. But he is powerless to intervene until Sir Archibald is safely in retirement.”

1590128095246.png

They arrived at the Zafaran Palace, where, as usual, Lampson and both the British and Egyptian delegations were taking ‘elevenses’ before commencing that day’s negotiations.

Belsay, temporarily relegated to performing Craven-Coles’ ADC duties, got out first to open the doors. He noted wryly that Weir was already half out of the car anyway, while Dill, quite properly (but not arrogantly, it was an odd contradiction) waited for his door to be opened. Saluting as Dill alighted, Belsay managed to maintain his military bearing when the General gave him a knowing look in response to Weir’s conduct. Belsay hadn’t yet worked out if he was a military traditionalist or a moderniser.

They approached their allotted table to find Lampson and Mostafa El-Nahas, the Egyptian Prime Minister, deep in discussions. From their body language Belsay deduced that they were friendly enough, and the cheery wave given to the military officers seemed genuine. Taking their seats (Belsay, as his lowly status dictated, on the outer edge), Belsay noted that on closer inspection Lampson seemed relieved.

1590128129152.png

“Gentlemen,” El-Nahas said in heavily accented English. Belsay was still not certain how much English El-Nahas possessed. He and Lampson exchanged some Arabic and the Egyptian withdrew.

As soon as El-Nahas had withdrawn the illusion of composure faded. “Thank God that’s over,” he said wearily. Realising that the Generals had no idea what he was talking about, he explained. “The time limit on the Canal,” he said briefly.

“Are we prepared,” Dill began, carefully, Belsay noting again how his principal stepped as lightly as a cat, “to support the Admiralty in welcoming no treaty rather than a bad treaty and the position that HMG’s right to protect the Canal might die at the termination or cessation of the treaty.”

Weir noted the slight hint of challenge from Dill, wondering if he was eager to get the agreement regardless of cost. “Yes I am,” he said emphatically. “India and the Pacific Dominions have been clear that they view communications with Britain as the most vital factor in Imperial defence.”

Lampson looked overwhelmed again. “I’ve a note from Eden; he raised the matter at Cabinet. The only opinion was from Hailsham,” Hailsham was the Lord Chancellor, one of the senior lawyers in Government. “Hailsham believes that at the end of the twenty years of occupation that the treaty grants us we cannot trust the League to arbitrate over our tenure in the Canal. He goes on to advise Eden, and I,” he said wryly, “that in twenty years the League might be dominated by minor powers, some of whom might be favourable to Egypt.”

“Or, at worst, hostile to us,” Weir said with a sour look at Dill.

“Yes, Sir George. Hailsham and Simon want us to go full tilt for permanent rights, Eden is desperate for a treaty, Chamberlain wants to cut the overseas military budget and Baldwin doesn’t care.”

Dill frowned. “Remind, me, Major,” he turned to Belsay, “what the order of business is for today?”

Belsay knew that Dill had a masterful grip on proceedings and that this was pure theatre. “The final day, Sir, before the adjournment. With the Egyptian elections looming…”

“I think that we refer back to London, clarify our position, and get a coherent British and Commonwealth position,” Dill said earnestly. Lampson and Weir looked at one another, and then nodded simultaneously. Dill smiled weakly. “I will convey all of this back to London,” he said flatly, before draining his tea. “To that end, perhaps I should retire back to the hotel to write up a note that you can both endorse before I sail home tonight.”

“That’s a good idea,” Weir said. Lampson too seemed to support it.

“Hugh, get the car,” Dill said brusquely.

Belsay and Dill walked over to where Mukungurutse stood, stock still, waiting to drive them. Belsay smiled as a taxi arrived and Craven-Coles seemed to burst out of it. “Change of plan, Ronald,” he said with warmth, throwing the ADC into confusion, “it’s back to base for us. We have a report to write.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GAME NOTES

An early insight into negotiations over what would become the 1936 Anglo-Egyptian treaty.

First things first, I apologise for a trio of fictional characters, but Belsay is a retconned character from KFM; readers of that AAR will, I hope, forgive that he is less ‘sweary’ here than in my alternative 1940/41, perhaps because here is a more junior officer surrounded by very senior types, and is not in command of his own company / battalion. I wanted to show, at least a bit, how senior officers were (and still are) supported, and to add some levity to proceedings. Mukungurutse and Craven-Coles are entirely new and equally fictional; we may or may not see them again. Both have major basis in people I know, and are precisely the sort of other ranks and junior officers that would be found in a Major General's staff.

Now to the real characters; I have tweaked, very slightly, Dill’s departure from Egypt making him stay in Cairo for slightly longer than he did in reality. Sent to conduct an assessment of Egypt (and Sudan’s) ability to defend against Italian thrusts from Libya and Ethiopia, he did get sucked into the Anglo-Egyptian negotiations. I’ve based my portrayal of Dill on my first real ‘boss’ (and actually there is quite a bit of me in Belsay); very personable, never one to raise his voice, but perhaps a bit ‘yesterday’s man’. The inspiration for the portrayal of Dill was perfectly fine to work for but lacked a human touch with subordinates; he did, however, have a good brain in him and relished intellectual debate (although, again, with appropriate regard for hierarchy etc). From what I have read of Dill, this seemed to be a fair enough depiction. He was clearly supportive of concessions to the Egyptians and was probably aligned to the Foreign Office’s view in 1936. I surmise that this is why Eden lobbied the War Office at some length to keep him on detached duty supporting negotiations. As it was, with CIGS retiring the War Office wanted him back and Weir stepped in; I have been probably been mildly unfair to the now largely unknown GOC of British Troops in Egypt but wanted a colourful counterpoint to the largely monochrome Dill. One thing is clear, Weir did well, ably supporting, then relieving Dill in the military elements of the discussions (the majority of the work) and rescuing the British from Lampson’s misfires.

Sir Miles Lampson is a towering figure, perhaps the towering figure, in British interwar and Second World War Egyptian dealing; it is therefore perhaps surprising that his first appearance in the AAR is as a bit of a let-down. What is clear is that his initial handling of negotiations was bumbling and that he blundered; the War Office and Admiralty were furious that ‘Stage A’ and ‘Stage B’ (as described, neatly, by Belsay) were so readily defeated (the Foreign Office was much more ready to offer concessions). Mercifully for all, the Egyptians needed a pause for their election, and so the British had time to cohere their position.

I’ll keep the final details of the treaty for a later update; for the British, and Egyptians, a long trail is a’winding. The agreement followed the turbulence of the nearby Italian action in Ethiopia: Egypt was rocked by protest in 1935 and the hypocrisy of the British position, advocating (albeit feebly) for an independent Ethiopia while subjugating Egypt, was not lost on the protesters. The British, feeling the pressure, were minded to compromise and so the negotiations began…

@TheButterflyComposer: So I think that you’re both fair and unfair in your comment. I agree that there is a degree of apathy; the British and French don’t really care, at least at this bit of the pre-WW2 saga. That is inexcusable, but… The empires are in chaos and their own economic and political problems are dominating. I also think that the legacy of WW1 has been overlooked – the generation of veterans from the trenches are now coming to power in both countries (Eden is a prime example). For the generation still hanging on to power, the effect was less traumatic but still, well, ‘there’; Neville Chamberlain was horrified by the war, and felt, deeply a sense that he had been considered ‘past it’ even then (he was too old in 1914 to join up).

@stnylan: You’re right; Baldwin is fading, fast, and 1936 is not an easy year to be a British Prime Minister.

@Captured Joe: I’m mulling a Turkey update, I sense that you will all gobble it up…

@TheButterflyComposer: You’re right, they’re exhausted.

@El Pip: But that’s the problem, old friend. They’re knackered, and an erratic King is just going to make them even more knackered. The whole country (and arguably Empire) just wants to be left alone – having the man at the top unwilling to countenance that is one of the reasons he was not supported.

@Specialist290: Eden is scattershot here, he’s had a torrid time and with the SCW looming (as well the economic woes in France) his summer was pretty dire as well.

@Kurt_Steiner: Welcome, old friend! Delighted that you’re here, and I hope that you find this as amusing as you did The King’s First Minister. Our favourite Lord will feature, in a few updates’ time. I promise that this is not an elaborate scheme to put him back in Downing Street...

@TheButterflyComposer: I’m deliberately keeping my approach to the game focuses opaque – if I told you what game path I was embarked upon, the cover would be blown.

@Bullfilter: I’m glad the cultural references (particularly the Yes Minister tribute) were noted!

FI, at the time of Haile Selassie’s escape from Ethiopia HMS Enterprise was commanded by Captain C E Morgan Royal Navy.

@DensleyBlair: Thank you, Sir. I agree that Baldwin is ‘done’; in the real world he sought medical attention and took a lot of breaks, so we’ll see what happens here.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
If Baldwin's exhaustion in the garden of No10 is one sign of imperial senescence, the disorderly state of affairs in Egypt thus described is a more practical manifestation.

The corporal being left adrift by bureaucracy has the ring of verisimillitude to it indeed.

This makes me wonder how the Egyptians would react if Edward were to marry Wallis, considering this usually makes the Dominions break away in-game.

The African colonies and 'protectorates' are all controlled direct from GB in HOI4 so they don't break away in the crisis. South Africa does, of course. If that route is taken, the FO and really everyone in the civilian service will have to be injected with competence medication and vitality restorer because what happens after that in the focus tree is such a turn around that it's like those episodes of Yes Minster when the government and civil service find themselves wanting the same thing and thus move heaven and earth to get it done. Only here they just stay like that forevermore.

It says something about the longleggedness of British politics that decades after the war, only now are veterans approaching the top. Ironically, seem far more hung ho about getting into another one than the old fuddies currently running the show. Idk, it probably is unfair to the French and British governments and services to be annoyed a time their incompetence. No one had ever ran an empire that big before, spread out so far across the entire globe. Tech wasn't quite there, society wasn't quite there, so everyone involved had to be willing to fight hard for anything to be done, let alone the right thing. Also of course the empires weren't nice and good things for the vast majority of people living in them, which is a bit of an issue if the home country is pretending to be a liberal democracy. Apathy and shame would certainly be enough to kill a thing this large. Then you have the economic problems at home, such a short what to do with the millions strong working classes who are increasingly and inveibtaly going to be put out of work by the collapse of domestic mining and grunt factory manufacturing.

Much like the Germans economic and political situation, it does read sometimes a lot like everyone on the European side of things was doomed to not only go to war but get their country's destroyed in the process.

“Hailsham believes that at the end of the twenty years of occupation that the treaty grants us we cannot trust the League to arbitrate over our tenure in the Canal. He goes on to advise Eden, and I,” he said wryly, “that in twenty years the League might be dominated by minor powers, some of whom might be favourable to Egypt.”

Well, that seems just a little on the nose...

Definitely enjoying the interplay between Dill and Weir :)

I was watching The English Patient the other night, so conveniently enough something like 1936 Cairo is fresh in my mind. This update was a nice diversion from England, and well written as ever!

As others have pointed out, Hailsham lecturing Eden on the possible pitfalls of international policy regarding the canal has the potential for no small amount of irony should he end up as he did in OTL. Of course, having yet to see our real POD, this remains no certainty.

Belsay, temporarily relegated to performing Craven-Coles’ ADC duties, got out first to open the doors.
Oh dear, how demeaning! Just when you think you have progressed to a level where such things are done by more junior minions! :D
I wanted to show, at least a bit, how senior officers were (and still are) supported,
And you did. I really enjoyed that aspect. Having spent a year as a Major in the office of a Land Forces commander (many years ago, sigh), I had a little trip down memory lane there. I was Staff Officer to the Chief of Staff, but stood in as MA to the Commander when the MA (a LTCOL) was AOD. It was basically me, the ADC and the MA as a little team, with a couple of drivers and civvy PAs as the central office, for a year. One of the busiest times I ever had: draining but rewarding and you learn a lot. Including how senior officers become so used to being looked after with all the mundane things, they can be quaintly both imperious but helpless when left by themselves. “Oh, how do you open a door/ book a flight” etc :rolleyes::D Not all of them, but many.
are precisely the sort of other ranks and junior officers that would be found in a Major General's staff.
Yes, their job is to let the principal focus all their energies on the big stuff and make the rest happen around them. By god, you need to be on your toes though: not just all the more mundane and functional stuff, but knowing either what information they need before they realise it, or where to get it quickly. And it being better to say “I don’t know” than pretending or blathering something useless (thus time wasting, a major sin); cubed effect if in company with another senior officer. If you stuff up, it reflects on your principal. Not quite so much as it does on you, though! :p

There was really only one rule that covered everything you did: don’t f@ck up. Ever. For about 12 hours a day for a year. :D
at the time of Haile Selassie’s escape from Ethiopia HMS Enterprise was commanded by Captain C E Morgan Royal Navy.
Admirable follow up detail - thank you. :)