• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First - apologies in the delay on responses. Work's been busy. Thanks for your patience!

To cause an unfortunate accident for Bella, to not cause an unfortunate accident. That is the question...

Geoffrey is prideful, perhaps to the point of fault (more on that in this chapter) and having concede that he is a greater monster than his father would be quite damaging to his pride. That's not to say he wouldn't do it... but it isn't a simple choice for him - perhaps for all the wrong reasons.

Oh my Geoffrey got well and truly played by Bella - well done her!

Geoffrey is I think losing his, not touch so much as perspective. It is not the first time it has happened, but the first time I can think of it happening in two converstaions in such a short space of time.

I have not really used Bella much due to a variety of factors, but I decided to let her have some fun here. She is the daughter of Alearde, and grew up under her and Agnes' tutelage. It's hard to beat that, especially when you need to outfox Geoffrey!

Also... originally this was planned out to be a meeting between Geoffrey and Henri... I liked this better.

Agreed. Though I think his wavering sense of self and struggle with his illness makes him more prone to erratic decision making. Does a Geoffrey who is as he was after Essa was named Duchess fall for it? Maybe... but that Geoffrey also seemed much less insecure and much less in need for someone to stroke his ego.

On the other hand, I've written his desire for Bella before, so perhaps this was just the first chance he had to be played. It's all open for interpretation!

do not kill family...

It's something that Geoffrey doesn't take lightly, given how obsessed he is with his own reputation. That is something that does come up in the future.

Geoffrey finds that some battles are not fought with troops and even he is not invincible in his chosen theatre of the battle of words. A tense few scenes ... I wonder, was there actually a failed seduction attempt behind that, or simply some well placed badinage between the two, given the fraught circumstances?

The irony of it all is as you note - he should know that not all battles are fought with troops. But I see him as both low on confidence and thus latching onto a familiar situation (Bella being the new Agnes) and thinking himself her superior. Of course, one thought of who her mother was and who she served under should have made him wary.

No failed seduction attempt there. I just decided to go with it, having as I wrote Geoffrey as already breaking that taboo with Agnes and desiring both Bella and Ermengarda (but not Antoinette).

Geoffrey may blame the illness, but I believe that part of the problem is that he's been buying into his own hype ever since taking his new crown (if not before, even). Even with all that's happened to him, a small part of him is still convinced that he's invincible, above the laws of God and man, and that somehow, some way, he'll manage to turn an "apparent" weakness to his advantage and beat the odds once more.

Denial at its finest.

There is this in there as well. He is both struggling with insecurity - that his illness is slowly destroying him, but also latching onto his successes and searching for more in things he is confident in. Bella appeals to his vanity, and he's eager to believe it to reassure him of the doubts he has. And after he bested her husband, how could she not admit it, right? So he stumbles into a trap. He also underestimated Bella, but then he tends to underestimate many of the women he's come across. And that's not related to his illness, either.

Yeah...someone just figured out that they can't talk their way into heaven and quickly find they need another way in.

So...stupid holy war? Cathedral? The pope himself? Whats G gunna do?

Geoffrey's not Bella - he's already talked himself out of God saving him. (Really he lost his faith, or what he had of it, when his son died. At best, he sees it as an ongoing battle/negotiation) The others... struggle with it more. But Geoffrey does have one more road he's going to go down. We'll get to it in a couple of chapters.

That was definitely an interesting turn of events. I wonder if Bella truly understands the depths at which Geoffrey will go to protect what he has gained and to protect his son/heir. Killing family may not be a good thing but in this case it maybe necessary.

Bella probably does have an understanding... but she also probably thinks herself somewhat protected. As she states here, she believes Geoffrey's illness is a punishment from God so she probably believes she has some divine protection from him. And in a more tangible way - she's probably going to tell Henri that Geoffrey is a danger to her and their children. They don't want to provoke him into going to war against them via one of their enemies, but they will also want to guard against him.

I can only agree with @stnylan here - Geoffrey really is slowly falling apart, not just in a corporeal sense. A few years ago, he would have managed Bella to feel bad for even suggesting that she believed the rumours and then managed to make her his lover while making it feel like she took the initiative. Now, he suffers a crushing defeat, failing even to notice the obvious trap she set for him.

Ancel was a warning, one he noticed, but he still couldn't avert Bella. I wonder if Geoffrey is going to withdraw even more from his element - politics - which would make him more of a tragic person than he already is, spending his last days in a forced atonement for his sins, suffering all along.

Speaking of portraits, Hervé and Almodis now look exactly like I imagine them - fits them perfectly.

The way I keep imagining these chapters from the revelation of Geoffrey's illness until we get to his end is basically the story of how a man dies. His struggles and breakdowns are not just of the body, but of the mind. I think he would have avoided Bella's trap a few years ago. Would he have successfully bedded her? I'm not as sure, just because of how well she has been trained to... counter him. Not intentionally, of course. But Alearde spent much of her life learning how to dance around Foulques, while Agnes did the same with Geoffrey, albeit in different ways. Bella hasn't been seen, but she knows how to play an Angevin man - probably better than anyone else.

I would say Geoffrey will be in for some suffering. But perhaps not the type he suspects. Or that you all do.

And I do love the portraits. All of them! Marguerite and Agnes both got huge upgrades, as did Herve. I also enjoy the prince's a lot more now.

My god. Even at this age Geoffrey's lust knows no bounds. Perhaps the next king of Aquitane will be less beholden to the whims of the body. Let's also hope that the prince's uncle's have some sembelance of loyalty to him.

Geoffrey rarely has displayed any bounds when it comes to his desires. The only limitation tends to be the potential ramifications... but Henri is too weak at this point to do anything to Geoffrey (in his mind), so Bella is fair game. I have some ideas for the next king of Aquitaine - he may not be scandalous as his father is, but I doubt he's going to be pure either. Devil's Brood and all. ;)

As for his uncles... they're gonna be a complicated lot.

To all, again, thanks for your patience. I aimed to get this chapter up last night, but just did not have the time after I got stuck with some extra work. But it's here now, and hopefully worth the wait.

One thing I am worried about is if these chapters are too dark/depressing. They're obviously dealing with a depressing subject matter hanging over head, and this is, ultimately the slow death of the Camelot, for lack of a better analogy, Geoffrey had established in his Aquitaine with his inner circle. It's a balance, of course, to convey that properly it needs to have some dark elements, but I don't wish for it to get too bogged down.

So let me know if it's a bit too heavy. I will take the feedback as a whole and look to lighten things a tad.

As always, thanks for your commentary and feedback, and hope you all have had a fine start to your new year!

Reactions:
Chapter 198 - January 1122
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 198
January 1122 - Bordeaux, Kingdom of Aquitaine

“Whether true or not, they are destructive rumors, my king,” Adhemar said.

“They are not true,” Marguerite insisted.

Geoffrey stroked his chin as he leaned back in his chair. Another complication, he mused.

He had been sitting in his chamber with the queen, when her brother and his chancellor Adhemar had interrupted with this news from Flanders.

Duke Arnulf had accused Geoffrey of funding pirates and brigands who were harassing merchants in and around the duchy. There was no truth to it - Geoffrey was far more content to sit back and watch how the power struggle between Arnulf, Duke Alphonse and King Henri played out, while intervening if it turned in a way he did not like.

1122-Arnulf-and-the-pirates.jpg

That struggle had already begun to play out between the two primary participants - Alphonse and Henri, after the duke had attacked the monarch, claiming himself the rightful king of the Franks.

However, Arnulf held claim as well through his great-grandfather Boudewijn, who had technically lost his war against Philippe… but never conceded having died first.

In either case, Geoffrey suspected these rumors were, as they usual, planted by enemies outside of Aquitaine who sought to weaken him further.

Though… the last time this happened in Valois, it was his own chancellor who had caused the issue.

“I take it you are not funding these pirates, Adhemar?” Geoffrey asked.

Adhemar frowned. “No, my king. I am as surprised as you.”

“Then this should not be difficult to handle,” Geoffrey said. “We will reassure Arnulf with our honesty. We have nothing to hide. Prepare yourself for a trip to the northeast, brother.”

“That will not be necessary,” Adhemar said. “Arnulf sends word his chancellor is en route. He wishes to meet with you directly over this matter.”

“But Arnulf does not come himself? Or sends my sister Ermengarde?” Geoffrey asked.

“He says between the pirates, and the armies about in Valois and the realm of the Franks, it is unwise,” Adhemar replied.

It was rather insulting that Arnulf would demand his chancellor meet with him, but not come himself to afford Geoffrey the same luxury. But he would deal with that when the man arrived.

“I wish preparations to be made on this,” Geoffrey said. “For when they do reach here. See what you can learn of these pirates, and which lord is behind it.”

“It will be done, my king,” Adhemar said as he bowed. “Sister.”

The chancellor left, leaving Geoffrey and Marguerite alone, at which point the queen looked at her husband square. “Did you need to accuse him?”

“He nearly destroyed our relationship with Valois,” Geoffrey said. “I could have sent him back to Gascony in disgrace. He got off lightly.”

“Humiliation at every turn is a steeper punishment,” Marguerite warned. “Not that you do, but if you forgive him… it is best to truly do so and not make a half-hearted attempt.”

“I see,” Geoffrey said as he crossed his arms. “You have sympathy for your brother.”

“No, I have sympathy for anyone in that position,” Marguerite said. “Seeing as it was my life for a time.”

Geoffrey sighed and took a sip of his drink. The barb that he had been rather nasty to Marguerite for years after claiming he was willing to move past her affair with Aubry… it was true. And it remained not one of his prouder moments.

So much so, that he did not wish to discuss it further. Instead he brought the conversation to something he knew his wife wanted to talk about.

“My brother,” Geoffrey said. “Foulquesson. You said Beatritz has sent word he is possibly seriously ill?”

“That he suffers from something,” Marguerite said. “He is seen less in court and is growing rather irritable these days in private.”

“Hasn’t he always been?” the king asked.

Geoffrey look at Marguerite for a smile or at least a smirk. There was none from the queen.

“I am concerned for Beatritz,” was her response instead. “Your brother’s temper runs hot in the best of times. If he does suffer from an illness…”

The queen’s voice trailed off, though nothing more was required. Geoffrey knew full well of Foulquesson’s temper - the rage which had once seen him take the hand off a Prince of the Franks.

Of course, that was not something that Geoffrey concerned himself with too much - so long as his half-brother made no missteps toward him, he was willing to let him be.

Marguerite felt differently though, given it was her daughter that may risk drawing the Duke of Brittany’s ire. And Geoffrey felt her gaze upon him as he took another drink, and after a pause to look away from her, he replied: “You wish for me to do something.”

“I think it would behoove you to find out if there is something troubling him,” Marguerite replied. “If his temper grows shorter, he is a threat to not just Beatritz, but also his other brothers and the prince.”

“It has taken time,” Geoffrey said. “But he knows his place.”

“That is what you think,” Marguerite said. “But Beatritz believes he is seriously ill. And that can change a man… as you are aware.”

Another barb, and one Geoffrey did not wish to accept. But he had little choice, given his own actions over the past year.

He did not feel himself in his strongest form these days, especially after his near-disaster with Bella in the months before.

Thankfully, his guess that Bella would not dare reveal his advances for fear of her own status proved accurate thus far. Or if she had, they were not believed as the whispers that surrounded his old affair with Agnes had not grown any louder.

But it was a reminder of what he lacked - whether it was illness or age, Geoffrey feared he was past his peak and would forever be unable to reclaim the ability he once had showed.

“If I spy on my brother, I risk angering him, and for what?” Geoffrey asked.

“For concern over our daug… I mean concern over your wife’s wishes,” Marguerite said. “If it bothers you so much, I can take the request to Thomas of Limousin myself.”

“You have spoken to me,” Geoffrey said. “If I do nothing to stop you, then I give my tacit approval whether or not you are the one who asks my spymaster.”

“I know you have,” Marguerite said. “But no one else need learn of it. If the spying is discovered, I will take full responsibility. Let your brother hate me.”

“Let him hate you,” Geoffrey said as he shook his head. “And when you are regent for our son, what then?”

Marguerite frowned as her eyes drifted to the table. Geoffrey sighed.

“I will ask Thomas to investigate,” Geoffrey said. “Will that sate you?”

“Thank you,” Marguerite said. “It does mean a great deal to me.”

Geoffrey believed it did, though Marguerite was rarely very good at showing it. Her coldness remained and had arguably become worse over the last year as it became clear Geoffrey’s health might soon decline.

He had heard she had returned to periods of isolation, where she had been heard crying - a poor sign for a regent. She had not failed in her duties - it was not as if she refused to hold court or missed council meetings.

Yet Geoffrey remained concerned. What if she withdrew further? Alias and Agnes could handle much of the burden, yet would she in a mindset to listen?

“I have some good news,” Marguerite said as she interrupted his thoughts. “I received word from my sister in Charolais. She has birthed a son for your cousin. They even name him for you, young Geoffrey of House de Semur, God willing, future count of Charolais.”

1122-Geoffrey-de-Semur.jpg

That news caused Geoffrey to raise his cup in cheer. Mascarose, the queen’s youngest sister, had visited her husband Herve quite a few times during the campaign. One of those times had proved fruitful, with the then-baroness becoming pregnant. And now as a countess, she had provided yet more good news for the newly raised count.

“Fine news, indeed,” Geoffrey said. “I must prepare a gift for them.”

“Some wine from here,” Marguerite said. “A sword specially made for my nephew. I would say some armor, but I would assume you already gave that to Herve already? Along with a new horse?”

Geoffrey was silent. She had guessed correctly.

“Do not look so surprised, husband,” Marguerite said. “I have been watching you for years. I would have to be a fool not to learn your habits by now.”

“Do you have a problem with them?” he asked.

“They are predictable,” Marguerite said. “But they work. I think well of them.”

Geoffrey eyed her, a small smirk breaking through his attempt at stoicism. “You seek to prove me your capability as regent.”

“Somewhat,” Marguerite replied. “But more than that, I wish to prove it to myself.”

Of that, Geoffrey could approve. His concerns would not be allayed by one simple statement - in fact, that she had doubts at all worried him. But that she was making the effort to overcome it… it filled him with hope.

Geoffrey stood up and offered his hand to her. Her brow arched, she took it and joined him.

“What do you intend, husband?” she asked.

“It has been too long since I have enjoyed you,” he said. “My own problems have blinded me to my responsibilities as a husband.”

Marguerite blushed, but took his hand. It had been a while for them. In fact it had been a while for Geoffrey period… his illness had left him unwilling to expose himself to anyone. It was the longest period of chastity since the early days of his marriage, before he left Anjou, when he was too angry with Marguerite to lay with her, and had not indulged himself in pleasures with others.

He guessed Marguerite did not know the nature of his illness, or he doubted she would lay with him. And took great care to keep himself somewhat clothed during, as to prevent her from noticing anything amiss.

But it was a release a long time coming and most sweet, for both husband and wife, for once.
….

Yet Geoffrey’s moment of joy of “knowing” his wife once more was short-lived.

It was a fact he lamented a few weeks later, as he sat in his chambers, alone, awaiting the arrival of Adhemar to discuss the arrival of Arnulf’s chancellor to Bordeaux the day before.

A few days after is coupling with Marguerite, a rash appeared on Geoffrey’s neck. It was low, near his clavicle but given his illness, the physician was summoned right away.

Leonard’s examination left the physician shaking his head.

“It progresses,” he told the king. “Slowly, but surely.”

Geoffrey hoped otherwise. Perhaps for a miracle. Or a misdiagnosis. But it was a reminder he was getting worse.

“How much time do I have?” Geoffrey demanded. “You must have some idea by now.”

“I do not,” Leonard admitted. “I might have thought it would have been worse. You have fared well thus far, but… I fear your health will not last forever.”

A near useless prognostication. Even if he were not ill, Geoffrey could have come to that conclusion. He did not fear death so much as what would befall his family afterward. He needed to prepare. And part of that preparation was knowing how much time he had. A year versus five or 10 years made a great deal of difference.

After that day, he tried to cover his neck, but no matter his efforts, a part of the redness and rash seemed to come through. He could not take his eyes off it for long, or keep his hands from tugging at his clothes, or feeling the area, though the numbness made it a rather pointless endeavor.

And though he was uncertain anyone could see the rash, or could make out anything from it, Geoffrey had decided there was no way he could meet Arnulf’s chancellor in person, as had been requested.

And so it would fall to others, as Adhemar learn upon being admitted to Geoffrey’s chambers.

Adhemar lowered his head. “Pardons, my liege… brother… but the Count of Yperen wished to meet directly with you. Given the nature of the accusations...”

“I am aware of the nature of the accusations,” Geoffrey said. “But if Arnulf thought them so serious… he could have come himself. Or, as I said, sent my sister, Ermengarde. I’m certain she would not have minded a stop over to see her brother in Brittany.”

Geoffrey cleared his throat. “In any case, he sends his chancellor, then I will send mine. It is what is fair.”

Adhemar nodded. “As you wish, my liege.”

The Duke of Gascony turned to be on his way, but Geoffrey stopped him. “Alias. He will be alongside you during.”

Adhemar turned back. “Is that necessary? I am certain Alias is busy enough with his duties as your steward. I am more than capable of handling such talks.”

“I am aware,” Geoffrey said. “And I wish Alias to be present regardless.”

Adhemar nodded once more. “As you wish, my liege.”

As the chancellor left him, Geoffrey knew he had displeased Adhemar. Given that he and Alias had never gotten along, Adhemar would view it as an insult. And in many ways, it was.

But Geoffrey could not worry about Adhemar’s feelings. He did not fully trust the man, and wanted someone he did in on that meeting.

The duke’s actions in Valois, plotting against Alphonse for Anne’s benefit, had soured Geoffrey further on him. He had reprimanded Adhemar, but not punished him beyond that to this point. This would be the first thing that truly stung, and it was only fair, given Alias had helped clean up the mess Adhemar had made. Though it was… as Marguerite had warned him against.

But the situation just made Geoffrey even more concerned over his future. Between his illness, his lack of trust in Adhemar, and his concerns over Marguerite, her best efforts at alleviating them or no, Geoffrey knew he needed a stronger ally in his corner.

And if he could not rely on outsiders as he’d like, he’d turn to blood.

It was Agnes who was next to enter Geoffrey’s chambers, sometime after Adhemar. She carried herself with her usual confidence and dignity, even if her role in kingdom had been somewhat diminished.

It was not a total abandonment - she still worked alongside Alias. But she and Marguerite remained cold toward one another, with Marguerite leaning much more on Adhemar. That was something Geoffrey disliked, even if it was understandable - while the queen and duke were not close in age or relationship, they were blood.

But Agnes still did as Geoffrey asked, as she had when he dispatched her to check on Essa in Toulouse. That had not gone as he would have liked, as Essa seemed intent on doing what she wished, but Geoffrey did not fault Agnes for that - Essa was always going to be difficult due to her strong-willed nature. For now, he was content to have his sister as an insight into what the Duchess planned.

But it was becoming clear he needed more than that from Agnes. She and Alias could provide him peace of mind, but that could only happen if they were entrenched. And Geoffrey got the sense Agnes was looking for a way out - though he believed he found a way to avoid that.

Still, that did not mean she could not be pointed in her criticism.

“Geoffrey, are you really leaving your friendship with Arnulf in the hands of Adhemar and Alias?” Agnes asked without so much of a greeting.

“They may not like each other but neither ever wants failure,” Geoffrey said. “And Arnulf will not abandon our friendship. He likely still wishes for an alliance. This is probably a ploy to get me to commit greater support with the warring between Alphonse and Henri.”

“If you are certain,” Agnes said.

She did not seem convinced but Geoffrey did not summon her for that. He did have one bit of business he wished before he got to that however.

“How do things fare with your… protege?” Geoffrey asked Agnes.

“She is hardly my protege,” Agnes replied. “Her actions are far more yours than mine. Attacking blood for titles? Opportunistically seizing counties to expand one’s power?”

That Geoffrey could not deny. There was something familiar in the method of Essa’s expansion. It was incredible a woman of such beauty could prove such a viper.

And yet, the prettiest of flowers are often poisonous.

“Alias’ connections in Toulouse inform me the nobility are not pleased over her attempt to seize Narbonne,” Geoffrey said. “They grumble, but have yet to act. I suspect they are growing fearful of her.”

“Connections? His wife, you mean?” Agnes asked as she sipped her drink.

Geoffrey shrugged. Alias had remarried a few months prior - this time to the 30-year-old sister of the child count whose seat was in danger of being usurped by Essa.

“She is not alone in her concern, even if she is a biased source,” Geoffrey noted.

“And what does that concern mean to you?” Agnes asked.

“I am uncertain,” Geoffrey admitted. “Have I misjudged her? Is she a threat to my son?”

Agnes stroked her chin. “She… desires respect. She desires power. If your son can promise her that… I think he will have a most loyal ally.”

“And what of her son?” Geoffrey wondered. “This babe, Simon. Perhaps she will think him worthy of being a king in his own right.”

“A possibility,” Agnes admitted. “But her child is a babe. Much younger than your son… and younger even than your youngest, Alias. I would hope, should it come to it, the prince has well-established himself in your stead by that time.”

“I would hope so as well,” Geoffrey said. “But if he is not?”

“Then it may not matter who lines up against him,” Agnes said.

“No, it will not,” Geoffrey said. He closed his eyes and sighed. His doubts… his fears… would not be silenced. His time grew shorter and young Geoffrey was simply not ready.

It was not the fault of anyone. How could a boy of nine be ready to take control of a kingdom? Geoffrey knew he certainly would not have been at that age, even if he had ascended in Aquitaine young. And yet the prince might need to do so soon. Perhaps not in the next few months. But what would the next year bring? Or two?

Geoffrey felt a hand over his gloved one. It was Agnes, obviously seeking to soothe his distress. She was too good to him. She always had been.

“I have need of you,” Geoffrey said. “No… he needs you.”

“Who?” Agnes asked.

“My son,” Geoffrey said. “Your wisdom. Your guidance. Your experience. He needs all of it. For I need it, and I have been ruling for over 25 years now.”

Agnes chuckled. “You flatter me, Geoffrey. But I am an old woman. Who is to say I will even be alive when he comes to the throne.”

“Perhaps you will not be,” Geoffrey said. “But if you are, I need you to stand beside him as you have me. I know I have said this before, but it was not idle talk.”

“Why did you strip me of the regency then?” Agnes asked. “My position is weaker as a result.”

“Because Marguerite is his mother,” Geoffrey said. “And she will have say. Better this way, so that she does fall completely under her brother’s influence. I know you will not fall in with Guilhem or Foulquesson.”

“But I still am at risk,” Agnes said. “I murdered her father, Geoffrey. She will not forgive easily, nor should she. If she wishes me disposed, what am I to do? I cannot easily escape her wrath.”

“And that is why you have been pestering me about your children,” Geoffrey said. “Wanting marriages for them… preferably away from Aquitaine.”

Agnes lowered her head. “I did not realize it was so bothersome.”

Geoffrey smirked and shook his head. “You have been rather persistent. But it is no bother. Of the stresses I deal with, they are the fewest. Especially since I think I have solutions to your liking.”

Agnes’ brow arched. “Oh? What unions have you found?”

“For your son, the Duchess of Albany is an 11-year-old child,” Geoffrey said. “They are very interested in the nephew of a king.”

“Of course they are,” Agnes said. “Those Scots are barbarians. They literally eat their own.”

“Our poor distant cousin aside,” Geoffrey said, “I think it a fine opportunity for young Louis. His sons would become dukes. And who knows what else may follow? The Dukes of Albany have been a powerful lot, relative to the rest of the Scots.”

Agnes nodded. “I agree, even if I have my reservations about the Scots.”

1122-Louis-to-marry-Duchess-of-Albany.jpg

“Well then, what do you think of the Greeks to the east?” Geoffrey asked.

“The Romans?” Agnes replied.

“Agnes, please,” Geoffrey said. “They are less the descendants of Augustus than we are, regardless of their purple trappings.”

Now it was Agnes’ turn to smirk. “I am impressed you have not let your illness lower your sense of worth. But why do you mention them?”

“Their child Baselius is in need of a wife,” Geoffrey said. “Emissaries from his court have traveled across Europe, looking for a candidate who is of proper class.”

Agnes’s eyes widened. But she did not say a word.

“I have met with them,” Geoffrey said. “I actually met with them first while I was in Charolais. And they were quite interested in my daughter, Aines.”

Agnes’ eyes dropped. “I see. And you think Helie would make a good lady for her?”

“I think she would,” Geoffrey said. “But that will be hard, given that Helie will be Empress of the Greeks.”

Again Agnes’ eyes widened. “What?! But you said they wished for Aines!”

“I did,” Geoffrey said. “But I am uncertain I wish an obligation to be drawn into the affairs of the Greeks. Marrying my daughter would tie us strongly. Marrying my niece… a tie that is less binding. But one that might be called upon if needed.”

That was only somewhat true. The young Baselius was only a few years away from majority, while Aines was nearly a decade. The Greeks simply did not wish to wait if they did not have to - and with Helie they would not. They had interest in Aines, but likely would have pushed for more concessions to wait. So, Helie would do well enough.

And while his explanation to her might have been construed as an insult, Agnes did not seem to mind, as she had tears rolling down her cheeks. Then she practically lept from the chair to hug Geoffrey tightly.

1122-Helie-to-marry-Byzantine-Emperor.jpg

“I never should have doubted you,” she said. “I could not… would not… have asked for such unions.”

“But you deserve them,” Geoffrey said. “They do as well. Because they are your children, Agnes.”

“I am grateful for them nonetheless,” Agnes said. “I thank you.”

“If you wish to truly thank me,” Geoffrey said. “Then aid my son. I know you are fearful of the future when I am gone. But I am just as fearful… for him. Marguerite is as unready as he is - she knows what she must do, but is unconvincing. She may come to rely on Adhemar… and he cannot be trusted. And without you, Alias will be pushed out… It is dangerous.”

“So you will have myself and Alias opposed to them,” Agnes said. “With your son caught in the middle?”

“No,” Geoffrey said. “Alias and Marguerite are not enemies, but Adhemar will work against him by using her. He will have a much harder time doing so with both of you. Marguerite will not like your presence, but Alias will protect you.”

“So I will protect him,” Agnes said. “And he will protect me? I do not think you have fully thought this through.”

“You have connections and friendships he does not,” Geoffrey said. “To Herve, for example. And to Essa, and to a degree, Foulquesson. Those alone will not secure you… but with them and Alias? Along with the security that comes from your children’s high placement.”

Agnes was silent for a moment, closing her eyes as if to reflect. When she opened them, she met Geoffrey’s gaze square and nodded.

“You have done me right by my children, Geoffrey,” Agnes said. “So, I promise you, as long as I live, I will stand by your son. I will treat him, as I have treated you, in every way.”

“In every way?” Geoffrey asked with brow raised.

Agnes smirked. “I do not think you need to worry about that, considering I grow older every day.”

“You are as beautiful as you were a decade ago,” Geoffrey said. “Two decades, even.”

“And you are the same flatterer as you were then,” Agnes said.

“Did I not mean it then?” Geoffrey asked.

Agnes smirked and then sighed. “So you did, so you did. But I ask… do you mean it now, as you did then?”

Geoffrey lowered his head. “Not like this. Not like this anymore. I am not… what I once was.”

“Neither am I,” Agnes noted. “Despite your claims otherwise.”

“Age… age is natural,” Geoffrey said. “And you do so with a grace befitting of your class. This is different.”

“It is,” Agnes admitted. “And so perhaps we must be different as well. Not as we once were… but still together.”

“I… do not understand,” Geoffrey admitted.

Agnes rose from her chair and walked to his bed, motioning him to follow. Then they both laid down, fully clothed still, and she wrapped her arms around him.

“You are lonely,” she said. “But what I said for your son is the same for you… I shall remain by your side, so long as I live. You can tell me everything… your fears, your hopes, your dreams… your nightmares. We have shared everything, Geoffrey, and that does not end now that you are ill.”

He did not know that he truly could… there were things that he was determined to keep to himself. His darkest fears… his worst nightmares, they were for his mind alone. Agnes should not share in his burden… he left her with enough to deal with when his time came.

But he was grateful nonetheless, for her words did have meaning. She had not abandoned him. She still cared for him. After everything… and as he crumbled.

He rested his head on her bosom, and closed his eyes, and, as she kissed him on the forehead, felt a small measure of peace once more.

….

Nearly a month later, Geoffrey sat in the strategy hall. He had not intended this meeting, but Adhemar had notified him of a matter of importance. The chancellor had requested a private meeting, and was surely surprised to see Agnes and Alias also present when he arrived.

“I am sorry,” Adhemar said upon reaching Geoffrey. “When the guards allowed me entry, I assumed you were not occupied, my liege.”

“I am not,” Geoffrey said. “They are here for you.”

Adhemar bit his lip but otherwise held his reactions in check. However Agnes stepped forward.

“It is because this deals with Arnulf, does it not?” Agnes asked. “My brother simply wishes me present because of our sister, the Duchess Ermengarde.”

“And Lord Alias?” Adhemar asked. “You are here because?”

“Because the king asked me to be,” Alias replied.

“Alias was with you during the meeting with Arnulf’s chancellor,” Geoffrey said. “He shares responsibility for whatever you wish to tell me.”

What Geoffrey suspected was Arnulf wished to renew talks for an alliance. Given the conflict between Henri and Alphonse had escalated, the Duke of Flanders probably wished for Geoffrey’s aid in taking advantage. And short of that, just clarification on where he stood on who he wished to rule the Kingdom of the Franks.

“It is good then, that he is here,” Adhemar said. “Arnulf did not find out explanation satisfactory. And he has declared the friendship pact between us… is no more.”

1122-End-of-pact.jpg

“What?” Geoffrey asked. He could scarcely believe his ears. Never did he believe Arnulf, who was surrounded by Alphonse, Henri and the Kaiser would dare end their friendship. It was no alliance… but it had the potential to be.

And yet…

“How?” Geoffrey demanded. “How did this happen?! I dispatched the two of you to deal with this!”

“The chancellor was displeased that you did not meet with him,” Alias admitted, “as I told you. But he seemed content with the outcome of the talks… and that we did not send pirates after them.”

“Then why has this happened?!” Geoffrey demanded.

“It is possible Arnulf himself looks for an excuse to do this,” Adhemar said.

“Why?!” Geoffrey again demanded. “He is not strong enough to think he can stand on his own.”

“Perhaps he does not find us strong allies,” Adhemar said. “His mistake of course… but…”

Adhemar’s voice trailed off. Geoffrey eyed him.

“What were you going to say?” Geoffrey asked.

“My lord, I think…I think your illness may play a role,” Adhemar said. “There is a belief, warranted or not, that leaders deal no longer with you, but with your son. And they do not know what to make of him.”

“My son does not yet rule!” Geoffrey said as he stood up. “I do!”

“But they do know how long,” Adhemar said. “Perhaps if we could do something to reassure them. You could travel to Flanders and meet with Arnulf. He may be angered but surely he would receive you well, especially at your sister’s insistence.”

That would not be advisable, Geoffrey thought, as my illness becomes more apparent.

“No,” Geoffrey said. “I will not go and meet him. He is the Duke of Flanders and I am the King of Aquitaine! He should be grateful for my assistance, or my son’s.”

Geoffrey returned to his chair and brought his hand over his mouth as he thought for a moment. Then he returned his gaze to Adhemar.

You will fix this,” he told him. “You will go Flanders. And you will speak to him.”

“And if he does not wish to speak with me?” Adhemar asked.

“A good point,” Geoffrey said. “I shall not send you alone.”

“Lord Alias, again?” Adhemar asked.

“No, Lady Agnes,” Geoffrey said.

“Me?” Agnes asked.

“I suspect Ermengarde will be happy to see her elder sister,” Geoffrey said. “All of our sisters think highly of you. Perhaps you can sway her, and in turn, Arnulf, to see reason.”

“I will make my best effort,” Agnes said. “But I have my doubts.”

“Do your best,” Geoffrey said. “In any case, Adhemar, make your preparations. You as well Agnes. You both will leave as soon as you are ready.”

They nodded and departed, leaving Geoffrey and Alias alone. The king turned his gaze to his friend.

“What happened? Did you two squabble?” he asked.

“I do not know what went wrong,” Alias admitted. “Adhemar is as he always is, pompous, full of himself… but that usually works. Perhaps his reputation has been damaged over the incident with Alphonse.”

Geoffrey shook his head. Though he did not trust Adhemar, he did believe he was better than Alonso, the previous chancellor. There were things he still wished to add to the kingdom - namely Navarra. And Adhemar was his best hope for that.

But the situation was growing troubling.

“I am uneasy,” Geoffrey admitted. “My disease does grow worse and I fear Adhemar is right. And it is not just those outside who see the weakness… those internally as well.”

“Essa,” Alias said.

“Yes, but Agnes watches her,” Geoffrey said. “No matter who sits in Toulouse will be a problem - and with Essa, she has reason to remain loyal. Others though…”

“We could make an example of someone,” Alias said. “To show your strength and remind who rules in Aquitaine.”

Geoffrey eyed Alias. “You wish for me to get rid of Adhemar.”

“He is a troublemaker you do not trust,” Alias said. “One with charisma as well. A danger for certain.”

“But he has done nothing wrong to me,” Geoffrey said. “There is a fine line between proving I still rule and acting the tyrant. No… we need someone who has done something wrong. Someone who has acted against me and my house… but one few will be saddened to miss.”

Alias stroked his goatee. “Well there is… the Count of Maine. He still plots to seize Anjou for himself.”

Geoffrey nodded leaving the Count of Perigord wide-eyed. “You will move against him?!”

“I have had enough of his insolence. I will not stand for it any longer,” Geoffrey replied. “I have been welcoming. I have warned him. But he is too foolish to see the forest for the trees. And so he shall…”

Geoffrey closed his eyes. “He shall pay the price.”

“What do you want done?” Alias asked.

“I want him hauled to Bordeaux, where he will answer for his crimes,” Geoffrey said. “And then… he shall not leave.”

“We shall end him?” Alias asked. “Take his head?"

“No,” Geoffrey said forcefully. “I will not murder my son, even if he is made to suffer to aid my other children. But he will remain under our watch. He will see few… and not even his wife, for I do not know if she whispers these plots into his ear.”

“For how long?” Alias asked.

“For as long as it takes,” Geoffrey said. “To end this threat to the prince… from him… and others.”

Geoffrey stood from his throne and took a deep breath. “Go. Head to Maine at the head of levy assembled from Anjou, Tours and Vendome. Then offer to escort him back to Bordeaux, where he will remain for the foreseeable future.”

“What if he resists?” Alias asked.

“Then inform him we will take his lands,” Geoffrey said. “And his birthright. For it is against his vassal oaths to refuse a summon of the king… especially when he is found to have acted against him.”

And with that, Geoffrey began the slow walk from the strategy hall to his chambers. These days… these last few weeks, had been too long. Too stressful. He could use a rest.

But he knew the only true rest he would receive would leave his son and all he’d worked for in grave danger.

1122-Arrest-of-Josselin.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
There really does feel to be a slow decline in Geoffrey's ability to govern. Little things.

I really like how this is all coming together. I really liked how you handled Foulques' latter years as well, and again you are doing a great job of the same with Geoffrey.

Reactions:
His time is drawing to a close.

Reactions:
a wise movement I think... that little punk is a serious problem for young Geoffrey

• 1Like
Reactions:
Time does seem to be slipping away from Geoffrey. The more he tries to secure the future the more things appear to fall through his fingers. He, however, is still relying on those that have helped in the past and that may be the thing that saves his plans for the future in the end.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If that little bastard gets free and lives to do anything against Geoffrey the younger while Margurite is in power he will most definitely regret it. Also your aar has inspired me to write one of my own. While I doubt it will come close to the quality of yours it will focus on a type of character often neglected in ck2 aars: Patricians. I hope to start posting it soon if you are interested in checking it out. I think I will call it;"Of coasts and coin."

• 1Like
Reactions:
One does get the sense that Geoffrey has never properly forgiven Adhemar, despite his own protests to the contrary. That one moment of doubt speaks volumes.

The slow advance of Geoffrey's rash almost seems to parallel his declining power -- Geoffrey is both literally and figuratively losing his touch, and the more he tries to conceal it, the harder things are going to be for him when even the pretense of health is impossible to maintain any more.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There really does feel to be a slow decline in Geoffrey's ability to govern. Little things.

I really like how this is all coming together. I really liked how you handled Foulques' latter years as well, and again you are doing a great job of the same with Geoffrey.

That has been the aim. I can't say I have it all diagramed out (I have certain moments I know I need to hit on) but when I see small chances to show the decay of Geoffrey's abilities I do. And focus it on very much his obsession with his decline actually partially causing his decline - a brutal self-fulling prophecy.

Thanks, I am glad to hear it! I admit that Foulques and Geoffrey have very... different final years in some ways. Foulques was very much alone, a man who was kind of existing in a world that had left him behind. So much so that he literally found himself surrounded by the people of the world he used to know, and it was how he went out.

Geoffrey is different because the world really hasn't left him behind yet. And as I mentioned in the last set of comments... I don't just view this as just Geoffrey's decline. It's shared by his inner circle. Agnes, Alias, Marguerite, and to a degree Foulquesson, Guilhem and Essa... they were raised to new heights under Geoffrey. He built a world where is sister is a respected dignitary, Alias, a count who holds but one keep, is known and feared, if not respected. Marguerite may not have wished for the life she had, but she is a queen, and holds considerable sway - a far cry from when Foulques had her in basic lock down. Others too stand at risk of losing it all if they don't play their cards right - Guilhem, Essa, Adhemar... etc. They all have seen their fortunes rise dramatically.

And slowly, but surely, it's at risk of slipping away. And they all know it. And to a degree, none of them, from Geoffrey on down, have the slightest idea on how to stop it.

His time is drawing to a close.

But how soon? Which is much of the problem. He knows his end comes. But how long does he have? Geoffrey has always liked to plan things out - and sometimes over prepare for things he did not like... such as war. He can't plan for this, as much as he tries.

a wise movement I think... that little punk is a serious problem for young Geoffrey

Josselin is a pain. And he's one that had to be dealt with. Honestly, I could have taken Anjou from him, which I normally would have done to get full control over the duchy. But I roleplayed a bit, limiting Geoffrey's actions because he knows Josselin is actually his son. Geoffrey has always aimed to not be his father with his children.

Time does seem to be slipping away from Geoffrey. The more he tries to secure the future the more things appear to fall through his fingers. He, however, is still relying on those that have helped in the past and that may be the thing that saves his plans for the future in the end.

They have a vested interest in the outcome. Had he not played Adhemar before, he probably could have been able to count on him as well. But yeah, he's gotten a little better in terms of understanding the insecurities of those he wishes to carry on his legacy. Which could make things more stable.

On the other hand, some things are just out of your control. ;)

If that little bastard gets free and lives to do anything against Geoffrey the younger while Margurite is in power he will most definitely regret it. Also your aar has inspired me to write one of my own. While I doubt it will come close to the quality of yours it will focus on a type of character often neglected in ck2 aars: Patricians. I hope to start posting it soon if you are interested in checking it out. I think I will call it;"Of coasts and coin."

Josselin the annoying. Poor guy... he doesn't even know he has reason to want Anjou besides just owning Maine. :)

Good luck on your AAR! You will never know the quality until you try, and even in this one, Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm going on two years of writing this, so it was a slow build to get to this point.

I will take a look, though I apologize if I am not commenting frequently these days. I have been busy of late, though I am trying to get back into the swing of commenting and reading more AARs again.

One does get the sense that Geoffrey has never properly forgiven Adhemar, despite his own protests to the contrary. That one moment of doubt speaks volumes.

The slow advance of Geoffrey's rash almost seems to parallel his declining power -- Geoffrey is both literally and figuratively losing his touch, and the more he tries to conceal it, the harder things are going to be for him when even the pretense of health is impossible to maintain any more.

Your sense is correct. And playing into that is also the idea Geoffrey would never forget the insult had the situation been reversed and Adhemar had brought him to heel.

But it is, as Marguerite notes, a hallmark of his character. Geoffrey never forgives easily, even if he claims to for political purposes. It took Marguerite decades to get back into his good graces and years after their supposed "reconciliation." Even now, things can be awkward between them in a way that isn't for Geoffrey and Agnes.

Geoffrey likely will never fully trust Adhemar, and Adhemar probably never will full trust Geoffrey. Which, obviously, is a bit of a problem, given Adhemar's many ties to things in Aquitaine. He has a very strong base to begin with the moment Geoffrey dies, being the brother to the queen mother, uncle to the young king, and one of the more powerful lords in the realm, and established ties on the council.

A savvy insight on your second point as well - including the nature of his illness which includes numbness to the affected areas. And as for the future, he may find inspiration from... sources he did not expect... on how to handle the future problems with his disease, which come at a really, really poor time.

To all - magnificent comments as always. Responding quicker just because I really do want to do a little better job at replying to you all after you take the time out to leave a comment. :) Next chapter is in the works, though I admit I'm trying to figure out a way to tie it all together. Also debating how I want to handle Chapter 200... which feels like it should be momentous, but not sure how to make it so... (Geoffrey's not gonna die in it, which would have been nice if you like round numbers.)

Anyway, as always, thanks for your commentary, feedback and readership as we continue along the road with King Geoffrey and these days much less merry men (and women).

Reactions:
Wow, I've read through this whole thread over the last couple of months, and I'm really in awe of how engrossing this story is. You've done a great job at really building up an entire narrative and a really compelling cast of characters. It will definitely be a shame to see Geoffrey go, but I've really enjoyed seeing the whole saga of his life play out.

Reactions:
Seems life has made me miss a few things. I've never cared for Geoffrey but leprosy is a bad, bad turn. Hopefully he can achieve his goals in the time he has left.

Glad HF didn't destroy the game, Jabber.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Coming a little late to comment on this latest chapter, but the standard remains as high as ever even while Geoffrey’s health declines. A very clever portrayal of an Eagle in Winter and the self fulfilling prophecy of eroding power and overcompensation for it is a telling one. I think also this whole dilemma may well reflect your own thoughts while this was happening to your main character: you wouldn’t have known at the time how long he had and were therefore no doubt doing everything you could to secure the succession. A question of curiosity: at this still tender age, does his son have any inkling of what may soon await him? Because if he doesn’t it will come as an almighty shock.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow, I've read through this whole thread over the last couple of months, and I'm really in awe of how engrossing this story is. You've done a great job at really building up an entire narrative and a really compelling cast of characters. It will definitely be a shame to see Geoffrey go, but I've really enjoyed seeing the whole saga of his life play out.

Thank you, for both the compliment and the time you took to read it all! And you mention something I don't think about often, but this slowplay of Geoffrey's life that has now taken place over some 180+ chapters or so. He was born in story... and now he nears his end, having lived a very full life! It's something we see with long-running narrative AARs, but I have been quite deliberate in all of this (nearing chapter 200 and we've gone about 56 years).

I hope I can continue to make it all enjoyable. I have ideas for the next set of characters as well, plus ideas on how they'll intermesh with those who survive Geoffrey's reign.

Seems life has made me miss a few things. I've never cared for Geoffrey but leprosy is a bad, bad turn. Hopefully he can achieve his goals in the time he has left.

Glad HF didn't destroy the game, Jabber.

Life can do that - even for me, I just haven't had the time to post as frequently as before. That has some benefits though, gives people more time to read a chapter and catch up if behind.

As for Geoffrey, I don't blame you not liking him - he's charming but ultimately not a particularly good guy. But this illness really is cruel because it robs him of so much of what he admired and loved about himself. Which, I suppose, would make his enemies think he got what he deserved!

I haven't fired up the save I made at Geoffrey's death since they patched... I think. So I'll be curious to see how it plays out with how well it works.

Coming a little late to comment on this latest chapter, but the standard remains as high as ever even while Geoffrey’s health declines. A very clever portrayal of an Eagle in Winter and the self fulfilling prophecy of eroding power and overcompensation for it is a telling one. I think also this whole dilemma may well reflect your own thoughts while this was happening to your main character: you wouldn’t have known at the time how long he had and were therefore no doubt doing everything you could to secure the succession. A question of curiosity: at this still tender age, does his son have any inkling of what may soon await him? Because if he doesn’t it will come as an almighty shock.

Thank you for that compliment! There is some of that with the main character. I've seen lepers die quickly, so I was prepared to have Geoffrey die a few months after his diagnosis. Obviously, I know how long he has left now, but I was trying to channel that for sure. And trying to figure out how best to arrange everything with the least amount of people I'd have to keep happy. Essa gets a LOT of slack because of that.

So, I haven't dealt with young Geoffrey yet in terms of showing much with how he's reacting. He would hear stuff, and likely know his father is ill. But I doubt it would be real for him just yet. He's still kind of young... about 10 or 11 I think at this point. Not that he doesn't have concept of death, cause he obviously does, but a world without his father in it?

We'll get a chapter from his perspective not too long from now. In fact we'll also be getting a chapter from another character's perspective... in I think two chapters time? I started playing around with that yesterday. I do like to limit my perspectives, but I had an idea for an unconventional two-parter that I wanted to do.

To all, thanks as always for the great comments. Chapter (if my math is right) 199 follows. I received an event I got with Foulques during this... and I chose differently this time, for Geoffrey is not his father. (And also in different circumstances) Hope you all enjoy and as usual, thanks for all your excellent commentary and feedback!

Reactions:
Chapter 199 - April 1122
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 199
April 1122 - Bordeaux, Kingdom of Aquitaine

The shouting and rattling of metal bars echoed throughout the dungeon.

Geoffrey paused for a moment as he descended the stairs. The sound would have been far sweeter had it been a true enemy locked below. And in some ways, it was - a man who would be an enemy to his son was a threat to House d’Anjou.

But as Geoffrey entered the dungeon and looked at the dirty, ragged, bearded man who had sunk to his knees in his cell, the king could not help but feel pity… and guilt.

“Lord Josselin,” Geoffrey said.

The imprisoned Count of Maine looked up with wide eyes and leapt to his feet. Then, just as quickly, he was back to his knees, hands locked as if he were in prayer.

“My king,” he said. “Please forgive me and my shouting. They did not tell me you were coming.”

Geoffrey nodded slowly. But in fact, he had not them either. He had come of his own volition - an urge that proved too overwhelming as the king endured yet another sleepless night.

They had not begun exactly when he ordered Alias to arrest Josselin, but it was not long after that near disaster.

Concealing the presence of a large levy that had been assembled to apprehend the Count of Maine proved too difficult to mask well, and so when Alias arrived with Guilhem to inform the count of his trip to Bordeaux, it was hardly a surprise to anyone there.

And as a consequence, Josselin was not present. Instead it was just the countess and Josselin’s advisors.

The countess herself was rather defiant in the face of Alias and Guilhem, swearing her husband would never stand for this tyrannous insult and that he was rallying the people of the land to resist. In that, Alias told Geoffrey, she looked very much like her mother, the late Countess Ide of La Marche, leaving Geoffrey almost sad he was not present to witness it.

But the lady’s proud boasts proved little more than that. It was not long before those… less confident in their lord’s ability to resist Geoffrey turned and revealed Josselin’s location.

He had taken flight to a nearby town not long before the arrival of Geoffrey’s men. And with great haste Guilhem was dispatched with some knights to chase him down.

The Count of Maine was found rather unceremoniously in a barrel, from which he was thrown from into the mud. As embarrassing as it was, it may have been for best, given Guilhem reported back that that Josselin had soiled himself before being hauled off in front of the onlooking townspeople, who probably enjoyed the show.

Geoffrey did not think much of the tale when he heard it, but knew that given Josselin tried to flee and fight, much worse punishment might have been expected.

And so Josselin was hauled back to Bordeaux, and brought to court where he was made to answer for charges that he plotted to seize Anjou from his liege. Josselin claimed it was all a lie, despite testimony from those in his court and some in Anjou that he had in fact schemed to gain support for a claim over the duchy.

His testimony would mean nothing of course - Geoffrey dumped him in the dungeon, and told him when he was ready to confess, he would be present to hear it.

For weeks it was nothing but the whining, screaming and mewing of Josselin down below - a sound absolutely horrid to Geoffrey’s ears. He could not shake the guilt over the fact this was his son - secret bastard or not - and that he was inflicting this upon him, as misguided as the count was.

And though he left him alone - Geoffrey refused the suggestion of torture - that he was doing this to his own flesh and blood was difficult to swallow.

And so, on this evening, Geoffrey had descended the staircase to his dungeon, was surprised to see the count eager to receive him. Perhaps this boded well.

“What did you wish to say to me?” Geoffrey asked.

“I wished to confess my crimes to you, my liege,” Josselin said. “I did… in fact give the order to see if there might be support for my claim over Anjou.”

“Your claim?” Geoffrey asked.

“A claim,” Josselin said.

“I see,” Geoffrey said.

“But! But! My lord, you must understand it was not my doing,” Josselin said. “I was led toward that wretched decision by my wife. She enraptured me… whispered how I might be a great lord if I could capture Anjou. Then I might challenge Alphonse in Valois and reclaim her home in La Marche from her brother and…”

Geoffrey’s gaze narrowed. “You blame your wife?”

“She is a foul temptress,” Josselin swore. “Like Eve, with that horrid apple.”

Geoffrey shook his head. “She might be the serpent herself, but you are the fool to listen. I do not wish to hear the pleas of a man who does not take responsibility for his treachery.”

He turned away in disgust, and began to pace.

“No WAIT!” Josselin cried out, reaching through the bars.

Geoffrey turned back. He had not intended anything by his action there… but apparently it had weakened Josselin’s resolve further.

“Forgive me, my liege,” he begged. “You are wise, for I am the fool. My wife whispered yes, but I listened so I must carry the blame.”

“So what will you do about that?” Geoffrey asked him. “What is fair punishment? And how would you make amends?”

“The fairest punishment is whatever you wish of me,” Josselin said. “And… I would work every day to regain your trust and show myself your man through and through.”

“Do not forget that vow,” Geoffrey said. “For you have already broken your oaths to me once. Next time I will not be so forgiving.”

Geoffrey motioned for the guard standing by to open the cell. Josselin stumbled out and then crawled forward.

“Thank you, thank you, my liege,” he whimpered. “You are as merciful as you are great. I shall never forget this act of kindness. When I return to Maine, I will hold a great feast in your honor.”

“Return to Maine?” Geoffrey asked. “Count Josselin, you surely are not leaving us so soon?”

Josselin looked up, his eyes wide. “But… you have released me… I need to return…”

“I have released you from your prison,” Geoffrey said. “However, I still request you remain here in Bordeaux… as my guest… for the foreseeable future.”

1122-Josselin-house-arrest.jpg

“Am I to be named to your council?” Josselin asked.

Geoffrey turned his head just to roll his eyes. “You shall have special quarters - a guard stationed at all times of course… for your protection.”

“My… protection?” Josselin asked.

“Of course, I do not wish for anything to happen to you while you are my guest!” Geoffrey said.

Because you are foolish enough to force my hand, the king thought.

“I… I see,” Josselin said. “When will I be able to return to Maine?”

“Do not worry about that, Lord Josselin,” Geoffrey said. “Instead, worry about a change of clothes. You appear to have soiled these.”

And with that, Geoffrey motioned for his guards to take Josselin up the stairs and away to his new quarters, leaving the king in silence… but only for a moment, as he was soon treated to the ramblings of a mad woman.

Geoffrey walked a few steps over, and saw the pale specter of his cousin Patricia, who still lived, even after a decade down here. Her hair was thin, and now mostly gray, her skin flaky, and she sat, huddled, in a torn blanket with her skeleton like fingers grasping the linen tightly.

Her head snapped up as she pinned Geoffrey with her gaze. “Have you come to claim me? At last?”

“Claim you?” Geoffrey asked.

“Claim my life. End my wretched existence?” Patricia said. “Are you not here for that?”

“I am not, cousin,” Geoffrey said.

“Cousin?!” Patricia asked. “I am no cousin to death. His lover, perhaps, as they once whispered, when I was called the impaler. But cousin? Surely not!”

“You think… you think me death?” Geoffrey asked.

“Who else would come to see me these days?” Patricia asked. “You are no guard… they are the only ones who did… to force themselves upon me. But I am hardly worth the effort anymore, it appears.”

Geoffrey swallowed hard. It was an unpleasant thought.

All of this was. He had never bothered to visit his cousin - her presence was completely forgotten to him for years. And yet now… at this time…

“Death has not come for you cousin,” Geoffrey said. “Though I suppose he will in time… as he does for.. us all.”

Geoffrey looked for a response, but Patricia simply lowered her head. Resigned to the pointlessness of the discussion, he moved to leave.

“WAIT! WAIT! GEOFFREY!” she shouted.

He looked back and like Josselin she had chased him to the edge of her cell, her thin arms reaching through the bars. Now he could see the stained and soiled rags she wore, and how they hung loosely on her frame. A dead woman… still living… miserably.

“You remember me now?” Geoffrey asked.

“If you will not take me, then take him,” she begged.

“What? Take who?” Geoffrey asked.

“The king,” Patricia replied, her voice hoarse. “One of my worthless cousins. Geoffrey. King of Aquitaine they tell me. Take him. He surely has earned his place among your flock. Please. I beseech you… if you are to leave me here in this horror at least promise me he shall join you soon.”

A chill ran down Geoffrey’s spine. And yet, he moved slowly over to her, a small smile coming to her lips as he did so. He reached through the bars himself, placing his gloved hands around her neck.

So delicate. So weak. So easily snapped.

No one would care. No one would likely even notice. Those that remembered her at all likely thought her long dead.

And yet… Geoffrey found himself wondering what the point was. Snuffing the life from a broken woman? Becoming a kinslayer… for that? Patricia was not worthy of murder…

No, even as she sent that shiver down his spine with her words… Geoffrey was left with pity. And perhaps remorse - he never imagined this would be how she ended and the fact that he knew he should have made it even more damning. After all… he heard the stories of the Count of Vendome, who grew up imprisoned in Anjou, only to die in his prison not long after becoming a man.

His fingers slid from her neck up to her chin, tilting her head upward. Then he gave her a soft kiss to the forehead.

“You need not fear, cousin,” Geoffrey whispered to her. “You need not fear at all.”

….

Patricia need not fear in the depths of her madness, perhaps, but Geoffrey could not shake his. His cousin’s life had essentially ended a decade ago when she had refused to withdraw support for a murder plot against him. Her hopes and dreams were extinguished when she surrendered.

But Geoffrey did not want to surrender, even as he saw no other path. The best course was to prepare for his inevitable end, as he had been trying to do.

Yet it offered no solace. Too much was at stake and his mind refused to rest, so much so that while he felt worn down when he met with Alias the next day, he was still very much looking forward to the distraction.

It was a conversation that Geoffrey knew would not be the most pleasant, as he had to discuss his decision regarding Count Josselin.

The pair sat in Geoffrey’s chambers, cup of wine in each man’s hand. Alias had heard Josselin had confessed, and was left with a smile on his face.

“So, he finally admitted it,” Alias said.

“It was not an endearing moment,” Geoffrey conceded. “He begged… and blamed his wife.”

Alias smirked. “So because he is unable to find a barrel in your dungeon, he cowers behind his wife. Pathetic.”

Geoffrey sighed. “Very much so.”

“He is not cut from your stock,” Alias said. “Perhaps his mother lied to you when she claimed he is yours.”

Geoffrey knew that the late countess had not. Josselin looked very much like Geoffrey did at that age… even Alias had been forced to admit that before.

“My father thought the same of me,” Geoffrey said. “And likely heard similar calls.”

“You do yourself a disservice to compare yourself to him,” Alias said. “He is a fool. And an entitled one.”

“He is a fool,” Geoffrey said. “Everything else… he is my son.”

“But not much longer, given that he has admitted his treason,” Alias said.

“No, he will remain here, free in the keep and under supervision,” Geoffrey said.

Alias’ eyes widened. “You let him move freely when he plots against you?”

“My use of free… is not in a traditional sense,” Geoffrey said. “I will have a guard around him at all times. All of his correspondence shall be seen by us. You are to oversee to that.”

“I have much to do these days,” Alias said.

“You will find the time,” Geoffrey said. “I will not place it all on your plate. Agnes shall deal with the countess. She is best equipped to handle her, I think.”

Alias shook his head. “You let him off easy. He should never breathe fresh air again.”

“I do not view family as you do,” Geoffrey said. “You know that.”

“And it is a weakness,” Alias said. “Blood is hardly thicker than water - look no further than the wars between the descendants of Henri of France… or his father, Robert, from whom all the current claimants to the Frankish crown are descended. Sometimes blood is the greatest threat… even if they are not fully aware of it.”

“And that is the key point,” Geoffrey said. “He does not know I am his true father. Few do…”

“Which is why it would be even easier to deal with him,” Alias said. “And prudent.”

“But I know,” Geoffrey said. “I know the truth. I can never kill my son. That would make me a greater monster than my father.”

“I disagree,” Alias said. “He killed a man to have his wife. You would kill a man to aid your true son and your kingdom. At worst, yours is a noble sacrifice. Him? He can make no such claim.”

Geoffrey lowered his head. “I have already sacrificed one son too many. I shall not willingly lay harm to another so long as I live.”

“Geoffrey…”

“We shall watch him, of course,” Geoffrey said. “And he is not to see his wife - nor any of his advisors… not alone. But he is to be treated well. Alias, do you understand?”

“It goes against my better judgement,” Alias admitted. “But, you have my word.”

“Do I?” Geoffrey asked. “You seem quite opposed.”

“I am,” Alias said. “But I will not willingly make you unhappy. I would like to think I never have… and it is not something I wish to start. So Josselin shall live. And I shall merely pray that you see the situation as I do in the future.”

Geoffrey nodded and patted Alias on the shoulder. It wasn’t quite the response he was looking for. But it would do for now.

…..

Later that day, Geoffrey had a meeting with another councilor - one he spoke to with greater frequency these days.

Thomas of Limousin had settled in well to the spymaster role he had been given years before when Josselin’s father, Leonard of Maine, had passed. Geoffrey looked to him to see if any active plots moved against him - and on that front he reported good news.

But today, Thomas was summoned to bring Geoffrey up to date on something only loosely related to him - the well being of his brother, Foulquesson.

“What do you have for me?” Geoffrey asked.

Thomas looked uneasy - his frown was plain and he struggled to make eye contact. “It is news you will likely not wish to hear, my liege.”

Geoffrey’s brow arched. “So he is ill? Is it serious? Is he dying?”

Thomas shrugged. “It is not… yes… but no…”

“What… do you mean?” Geoffrey asked. “How can one be dying… but not? You do not know what afflicts him?”

“Oh, I do,” Thomas said. “And you know it well, I am afraid, which is why it is difficult to discuss.”

Geoffrey pinned him with his gaze. “What?”

“He has been struck by leprosy as well,” Thomas said.

A chill went down Geoffrey’s spine. “No… impossible.”

“He does as you did,” Thomas said. “He has withdrawn from court… not entirely, but most of the time. While before, he was rather… voracious with his coupling with the Lady Beatritz, he is rarely to her bed anymore. And now, he takes up a mask, as your father did, yet has not been in a battle, fight, nor had surgery.”

“You guess,” Geoffrey said.

“It is… a guess of sorts,” Thomas admitted. “But one made after observations from my wide network of spies… and talking with your lady daughter, the duchess, and her trusted. I have little doubt, especially given what I have seen for you. And as I said… it is why I hesitated to bring it to you, even though I knew I had to.”

1122-Foulquesson-Leprosy.jpg

Geoffrey could scarcely breathe as he stood over his small table. He shook his head over and over again. How? How was it possible that we both could be struck down by this ailment?

“My lord, forgive me for bringing this up, for I know of all your brothers, you get along with the Duke of Brittany the best,” Thomas began.

It was damning in faint praise despite the relative lack of in fighting between them all, but Geoffrey motioned for Thomas to continue.

“There may be a good opportunity here for you,” the spymaster continued. “His illness may be progressing faster than yours. He may be more sensitive about his place and the security of his lands, especially as his son is younger than yours. Perhaps… he would be willing to send his son here, for protection.”

Geoffrey stroked his chin. “An interesting proposition. He is a few years younger than the prince, but… they could grow up together and form a bond. In doing so, young Geoffrey could gain a valuable ally… and Foulquesson could rest easier, knowing his son had the favor of the future king.”

Thomas nodded. “My thoughts exactly.”

Geoffrey tapped the table for a moment before nodding. “It is a fine idea. I shall speak with Marguerite - so that she might work on Beatritz. And I shall send an emissary to speak with my brother.”

“A fine choice, my king,” Thomas said.

He bowed and moved to take his leave.

“Thomas!” Geoffrey called out. The spymaster turned.

“Thank you. I truly mean it. It is a fine idea, and a boon to House d’Anjou.”

Thomas smiled. “It is my pleasure, my liege.”

….

Despite the meeting with Thomas ending positively enough, Geoffrey’s sleep problems did not alleviate that evening. His brother afflicted by the same ailment as he was? One that rarely ever struck those of high-born classes? It seemed impossible. Yet he had no reason to doubt Thomas’ information. What he said made sense.

Geoffrey also knew that if the nature of their ailments became widespread knowledge, some would take it as a sign House d’Anjou was cursed. Whether it was a test from God… or a Blight from Him for their actions… it likely would not matter. It would be something to undermine them further.

It could destroy us all… if we are not careful.

But how could he be careful? He and Foulquesson were dying of this ailment, and it was likely that eventually the truth would be revealed. It may not have been until his very end… or even past his end… but it would come out. And what then? Could young Geoffrey deal with yet another assault on his reign?

The thought sent a chill down Geoffrey’s spine. It was not something any of his house would be able to avoid either - they had all engaged in questionable acts that could be seen as causes of losing God’s favor, whether or not Geoffrey told himself it was simply rotten fortune.

But when have I ever accepted this, he thought. Alias is right! I have never been willing to take setbacks. I have always planned, schemed to reverse them. Why am I paralyzed by this?

The answer, he knew, was because he trusted Leonard. The man had kept him healthy for years and he had always done right by him. If Leonard did not think there was anything to be done then… surely there was nothing to be done, right?

But his mind went back to Duke Alphonse, who he knew was out leading his levy against King Henri. The same Duke Alphonse who was barely capable of rising from bed a few years ago. The duke who was supposedly certain to die soon.

Yet he lived. He lived even though the dwarf had not been able to cure him - the dwarf that had once cured Geoffrey’s father Foulques of his incurable illness. Disliked as he was, Jaspert was knowledgeable. But if Alphonse’s recovery under his new physician showed anything… it was that he even if he knew a great deal, he did know everything.

Geoffrey sat up in his bed and stroked his chin in thought. He had a council of varied experiences but all with fine minds. They were also not the conventional type which drew the ire of many, but he knew that served him well, rumors or not.

If anyone can help find the answers I seek… surely one of them can. Or perhaps alone, none of them can - but together?

He needed to think on how best to put it to them for certain. They all knew he was ill, even if not all understood how. And if he said the wrong thing, it would alarm them - both that his death was fast approaching but also, potentially, that he was losing his mind. And that would undermine everything he worked for that much faster.

Yet Geoffrey knew he had to meet with them. For he had questions and doubts. And perhaps they would have the answers to put his mind at ease.

1122-Matters-of-Life-and-Death.jpg

…..

It took a few days before Geoffrey actually called the council meeting.

But he eventually call his whole council to the gathering in the strategy hall, as well as Agnes and Marguerite, as was custom these days. Even if he did not fully trust the likes of Adhemar, and to a degree Prince Bishop Emmanuel, he needed their expertise on this matter.

He felt the eyes of the council upon him, but he did not look at them. Not yet. He was not ready. A moment was needed to gather himself, to find the right words to convey what he needed to say.

It would not be an easy speech to make and so he stood over the map, head down as he prepared himself. Then he picked his head up, looked at them all, and began.

“I have been thinking of the future,” Geoffrey said. “My future… but it is not a question that I face alone. Mortality… the end… what awaits us. Unknown, uncertain… unsettling.”

He looked at those gathered. A few lowered their heads. He noticed Alias and Agnes nodded.

“But we are not powerless, here in Aquitaine,” Geoffrey continued. “Together we have formed a court… a council… that is the envy of the land. While duchies, kingdoms and empires around us struggle in turmoil, we are in an Golden Age! Our lands prosper, our armies stand victorious, and the lords of this land live in… relative… harmony.

“That is no accident. Our skills… our charisma, wisdom, resourcefulness… our strengths are heightened, our weaknesses minimized. Together, there is little we cannot accomplish.”

Alias spoke up. “What would you have us do, my king?”

Geoffrey looked at him square for a moment before turning his gaze to the rest of the council. “I want to discuss the concept of life and death… And I wish to look into what it means… for everlasting life, whether literal or figurative.”

He was uncertain if the council would balk at such a thing. Surely some would.

But none made any objection. So Geoffrey posed one final question: “What do you think?”

Agnes spoke first. “I think that means to assist in keeping one healthy and safer from illness may be possible. But literal everlasting life? Surely no more than the stuff of legend.”

“It is a wide world,” Alias noted. “Perhaps there is more to it than we know. I have heard many stories of things I would not have dreamed of before - from places beyond the Holy Land.”

“To live forever though?” Adhemar asked. “Surely that is beyond our means.”

“Perhaps not live forever,” Alias said. “But for a long time. Men who lived past a century! Perhaps even longer.”

“I have never heard of that,” Thomas admitted. “But we do know of a fortunate few here who have managed eighty years on God’s Earth. They perhaps made it by chance, but maybe there are means of increasing those chances?”

And the conversation continued, with ideas being exchanged freely. They debated the literalness of the question, and they pondered stories and legends they’d heard. But they all approached it as if it was a question worth exploring and for the first time, in a long time, Geoffrey could bring himself to smile.

He did not know if a means to somehow extend his life existed. But if it did, he and his councilors would find it.

1122-Geoffrey-Immortality-council.jpg

NOTE: I'm including this bit just because I used the old screenshots I'd taken for this chapter... but with the new portraits, Geoffrey and Josselin look so much alike. You can see why he would be struck by the count being his son, even if technically, that's a secret.

Note-Josselin-and-Geoffrey.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
There are times Geoffrey's punishments are worse than death. I wonder when Josselin will realize that his may be such. The scene with Patricia was masterful and gave me chills. I can see it set some other things in motion. The same disease strikes the two brothers I can see how it might be interpreted as God's punishment. The last part of the chapter we see the old Geoffrey back at work trying to find a solution to an impossible problem instead of sulking in the shadows and wandering aimlessly as he had been since finding out about his predicament.

Reactions:
I will read and comment on this chapter in due course, but letting you (and your readers here) know I nominated this work (Geoffrey especially) for the Character Writer of the Week! :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I feel like that scene with Patrica is supposed to have a deeper meaning. Like the end is near, of course. I began that scene thinking she was a ghost tormenting Geoffrey.

And the dreaded leprosy strikes another Angevin. Can't help but wonder if it'll get to Guilhem, Bella, or other siblings.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oho, Foulques the younger in a mask. It’s that old feeling of déjà vu all over again! ;):D

He may not really be expecting everlasting life from this exploration of ideas, but Geoffrey must at least be hoping for a miracle cure from the leprosy. Perhaps a reasonable if desperate longing from such a vain and powerful ruler.

It will be interesting to see how this raging against the dying of the light goes for Geoffrey. Meanwhile, the rest of the world will not stop for him. I have a sneaking suspicion too that Josselin will not be able to stay out of mischief forever, either. :rolleyes:

Reactions: