• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, the myth of Polish cavalry charging tanks is just that, a myth. Polish cavalry did often fight German panzer divisions, but that's because they were trained and equipped as anti-tank hunters, with full complements of anti-tank rifles and anti-tank cannon, and did so to pretty deadly effect, knocking out about half of the total (~1400-1600) German tanks that were knocked out in combat in the '39 campaign.

My source: I'm getting my PhD right now studying the memory and mythos of the '39 campaign (this involves far more than the cavalry charge myth), and recently published my first article on the mythos in the Journal of Slavic Military Studies.

Reactions:
Yeah, the myth of Polish cavalry charging tanks is just that, a myth. Polish cavalry did often fight German panzer divisions, but that's because they were trained and equipped as anti-tank hunters, with full complements of anti-tank rifles and anti-tank cannon, and did so to pretty deadly effect, knocking out about half of the total (~1400-1600) German tanks that were knocked out in combat in the '39 campaign.

My source: I'm getting my PhD right now studying the memory and mythos of the '39 campaign (this involves far more than the cavalry charge myth), and recently published my first article on the mythos in the Journal of Slavic Military Studies.
Brilliant stuff! One of the reasons I'm covering this campaign in a bit of detail (in addition to having Polish ancestry, with a father who lived through the whole war as a child in Poland) is not only it being a slow news month or two in inter-war Turkey and trying to take an alt-history realist approach: it often gets glossed over and a lot of ill-informed tosh and cliche has been written about it. They fought so hard and for so long against an implacable enemy, without any realistic prospect of support, then got stabbed in the back for their troubles.

Anyway, knowing you are tuned into this alt-September Campaign will keep me on my toes! Thanks for commenting. And good luck with the PhD :)

Reactions:
Glad that "lance versus tank" nonsense has been brought out into the light of day.

A few comments on that great update:

About that poster stating Britain's fault; the Poles in seeing their fate unfold - after seeing what happened to the Czechs also? Who would not hold the bitter reality of abandonment? imo, I think also one of justifiable-confusion. i.e. Growing-up on..."Britain rules the waves?" probably seemed either outright BS, (afik-since no Allied troops came into Polish ports) or "a very cruel decision to do nothing".

In The World at War series, there is an episode on The Phony War as viewed by several British subjects (denouncing it) but when I heard them, I wondered "what they were thinking THEN?", not decades later.

I cannot "wisely" second guess this terrible failure because I was not alive then and more importantly "on the front lines In any service or capacity to know the Truth". But if Churchill's efforts, truly were needed, to get the RN back on track? Then to me, it seems reasonable that, not only Britain but France as well, were truly too weak to "effectively" help Poland "defeat" the invasion. Of course, had I lived in Eastern-Europe at the time, I would have been more than outraged at a diplomatic stance that I had trusted "with my life" that became a reality of nothing on the ground.

I think one of the most under-reported reasons for the eventual-war was the citizens of the Allied nations. i.e. The U.S. had to have Pearl bombed, before the people would unify behind FDR. I doubt the public discourse was any better in Britain; especially when so many German people themselves, were just as fearful of - "another war - just like the first War and those endless lists of dead young men". The Government in France was in even worse shape, iirc, the leadership was in a cycle of continual change.

That LIndy quote was very sobering - not his stance of staying out of the war (that has been played to death) but the latter claim of perpetual-involvement in Europe; it seems post-war...to have grown and spread? I'm no fan of "political starz" (in any Era) so I never read that second statement before.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any Kiwi readers will note I have made no disrespectful reference to sheep here - it is too solemn an occasion!

The Welsh, of course, will receive no such courtesy should they ever come up in the news reports!

I think one of the most under-reported reasons for the eventual-war was the citizens of the Allied nations. i.e. The U.S. had to have Pearl bombed, before the people would unify behind FDR. I doubt the public discourse was any better in Britain; especially when so many German people themselves, were just as fearful of - "another war - just like the first War and those endless lists of dead young men". The Government in France was in even worse shape, iirc, the leadership was in a cycle of continual change.

Under-reported, perhaps, but hardly under-studied by historians and those in the know. Memories of the Great War were still fresh in the minds of the citizenry, and while the top politicians knew that war was inevitable (Chamberlain's "peace in our time" is often considered to be a public face, with his real reasons for accepting Munich being to give Britain time to rearm) the common man did not, and would not easily accept the truth. Even in the US, people were generally pro-Britain, and were okay with sending material aid but not with committing American blood until there was no choice.

From what I recall, Hitler really did not believe that the Allies would actually come to the defense of Poland, and tried to seek peace after Poland fell knowing that the British and French were reluctant to go to war still. Which probably explains why the "Sitzkrieg" lasted so long as it did.

Reactions:
Brilliant stuff! One of the reasons I'm covering this campaign in a bit of detail (in addition to having Polish ancestry, with a father who lived through the whole war as a child in Poland) is not only it being a slow news month or two in inter-war Turkey and trying to take an alt-history realist approach: it often gets glossed over and a lot of ill-informed tosh and cliche has been written about it. They fought so hard and for so long against an implacable enemy, without any realistic prospect of support, then got stabbed in the back for their troubles.

Anyway, knowing you are tuned into this alt-September Campaign will keep me on my toes! Thanks for commenting. And good luck with the PhD :)

No problem :3 I'm usually just a quiet lurker, but I do like to chime in now and again, especially when it comes to my areas of expertise, :p

I'd also note, one of the big reasons the Allies did nothing was the hope that Hitler would be overthrown by his generals, and the even more basic "we were not actually prepared for this". The Allies promised the Poles an offensive within days of declaring war, and that's one of the big reasons the Poles stood their ground- they expected a massive French attack to come roaring into the German Rhineland in the first week. However, what they weren't told was the Allies had no plans for such an offensives and the French had already put all their mobilization and doctrine into the offensive push into Belgium. The Allies simply never planned to save Poland and didn't have the planning and mobilization orders to carry it out even if they had wanted to at the last minute.

Reactions:
No problem :3 I'm usually just a quiet lurker, but I do like to chime in now and again, especially when it comes to my areas of expertise, :p

I'd also note, one of the big reasons the Allies did nothing was the hope that Hitler would be overthrown by his generals, and the even more basic "we were not actually prepared for this". The Allies promised the Poles an offensive within days of declaring war, and that's one of the big reasons the Poles stood their ground- they expected a massive French attack to come roaring into the German Rhineland in the first week. However, what they weren't told was the Allies had no plans for such an offensives and the French had already put all their mobilization and doctrine into the offensive push into Belgium. The Allies simply never planned to save Poland and didn't have the planning and mobilization orders to carry it out even if they had wanted to at the last minute.
Yes, all fair comment. And at least they did declare war on Germany in the end. They themselves were hoping the Germans would stand back from the brink - one way or the other. A mixture of recklessness, miscalculation, unpreparedness, overconfidence and lack of understanding of the opponent by various parties on both sides. Sounds a bit like 1914 ... so sad in reality, even this many years distant and viewed through a game. But there it is.

Reactions:
Under-reported, perhaps, but hardly under-studied by historians and those in the know. Memories of the Great War were still fresh in the minds of the citizenry, and while the top politicians knew that war was inevitable (Chamberlain's "peace in our time" is often considered to be a public face, with his real reasons for accepting Munich being to give Britain time to rearm) the common man did not, and would not easily accept the truth. Even in the US, people were generally pro-Britain, and were okay with sending material aid but not with committing American blood until there was no choice.

Yes, I was not talking about today's "looking-back by anyone" which I do and enjoy myself but I am always aware that today, I can see many more factual cards on the table than any of the involved leaders during the events of my study. :)

I'd also note, one of the big reasons the Allies did nothing was the hope that Hitler would be overthrown by his generals,
Agreed, and also that "contacts from inside Germany" were traps.

You've likely already read the story but if not, find the tale that * Peter Ustinov relates about his father being contacted by those (and/or other) Generals iirc, in 1938. He mentions "a meeting held at his home" in a Parkinson-interview. Not saying this is news but I thought it interesting & supporting of what is now known about "early" Anti-Hitler actions inside Germany in trying to stop the war.

* Sorry, Ustinov not Welles

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter 66: Poland’s Agony (21 September to 3 October 1939)
Chapter 66: Poland’s Agony (21 September to 3 October 1939)

21 Sep 39

Following on from his last report, our Defence Attaché in Warszawa receives reports on three key battles. Warszawa itself has still not been attacked. Brodnica continues to hold out, allowing thousands more Polish troops to escape the Grudziadz-Brodnica Pocket – but to what fate? Similarly, MAJGEN Dindorf-Ankowicz’s 18th Div holds on strongly in Mlawa, keeping that province open for the staged withdrawal of forces from the west. In the south, a new German attack has begun on the Polish 2nd and 29th Divs in Jaroslaw. The 2nd is weak from earlier fighting and was attempting to withdraw to Rawa Ruska when the Germans attacked. The 29th is fresh, but is already under considerable pressure.

TodF8D.jpg

Polish staff liaison officers also discuss their Land Doctrine development. Alas, as with their equipment priorities, there is plenty of hit and miss here as well. The highest development is in People’s Army (L3) – which may have been of more use if they’d had any MIL or GAR forces! A bit of a waste, unless it helps partisan activity during what could be a long occupation - which is a bit too late. Assault Concentration (support brigade organisation) is at L1 – but the Poles have not built any support brigades! More waste. Infantry Warfare (infantry organisation, L2) and Mass Assault (infantry morale, L2) are of more conventional use. All told, of the eight doctrine levels researched, half have been wasted. A poor return with so few LS points to apply.

849OUT.jpg

A check of global naval reporting of ships sunk shows one German DD squadron was sunk by the British CA HMS Berwick, and the German CL Nürnberg has been sent to the bottom by the French CL Emile Bertin, since the war began.

News Report: Washington DC, US. President Roosevelt makes a speech to Congress saying the United States should amend its Neutrality Acts to allow countries fighting Germany to purchase American arms. The President says the current laws stood to give passive “aid to an aggressor,” while denying help to victimised nations.

22 Sep 39

At 0300, the Embassy in Warszawa provides its daily update. The Polish 22nd Mtn Div has now been entrenched in Warszawa for three days and has still not been attacked. [In OTL, Lwow fell to the Soviets on this day, following their invasion of 17 Sep.]

Brodnica is now being pounded by two wings of German tactical bombers. Despite Orlik-Lukoski’s delaying tactics, the German 18th Inf Div is about to break through, despite itself being low on organisation.

gIuyMF.jpg

In Mlawa, the Polish 18th Div is standing up well, being well dug in in a forest province. They should be able to resist for some time, keeping the lifeline open for those troops still able to make it out of the pocket to the west. Lodz still holds out, but the Germans now have overwhelming numbers and launch a reckless assault in an attempt to finish off the stubborn defence, which began on 18 Sep. 44th Div is beginning to buckle, and 28th Div has not yet managed to make it to Lodz from the east. The situation is precarious.

Ohdq5c.jpg

In the south, the German 16th Inf Div (Mot) presses on with the assault in Jaroslaw, with the Polish defence fading. Once that line fails, there will be a clear path to the key city of Lwow. In Turka, the stalwart defence of the Mazowiecka Cav Div continues, with 9 Pz Div’s assault still not having made any significant inroads. The legend grows.

Oa6SYs.jpg

In Turkey, three new Heavy AA batteries are delivered. Üsküdar gets its first, as it is the designated fall-back position should Istanbul fall, while some AA will be useful in protecting units that may be sent to recover there during a future battle of attrition. Based on the last Cabinet discussion on national resilience, another factory complex (1 x IC) is ordered. A long-term project, it will be built in as safe a place as can be found when the time comes.

cUnBrn.jpg

At 1300, news comes through that 3rd Div’s defence of Brodnica is over. The province has fallen, cutting off two more Polish divisions fleeing from further west. Three are now retreating from Brodnica to Mlawa, so some of the ‘pocketed’ troops have been saved. And at 2300 that night, news comes through that the beleaguered garrison in Lodz has been forced to surrender - another sad day for the Polish nation.

23 Sep 39

Amid all the bad news from the Polish front, back in Ankara the campaign for the National Republican Guard has commenced. The Government’s recruiting target is 40 MP, to be devoted to a major expansion of the Army in coming months. Braanszon and Persephonee have come up with a new poster to take advantage of the Battle of Turka. [Ed: I hope the Google translation on this is not too far out. But to have put it in English would have been unrealistic.]

TaSFgm.jpg

“Turks for Turka! Join the National Republican Guard Today!”

24 Sep 39

At 1100, the Mazowiecka Cav Div can take no more. With no organisation remaining and having lost around 500 men killed, they retreat from Turka north-east to Sambor, leaving the road to Lwow open, but their legend intact. They stood off the German panzers alone for more than four days, but finally succumbed.

OAT3RT.jpg

25 Sep 39

Given what Germany has shown itself capable of, the Netherlands wisely decides to mobilise, perhaps anticipating a German attack once they have finished with Poland.

3kNSrQ.jpg

26 Sep 39

The Battle for Warszawa finally begins. In the last day, the defence has been reinforced by the 55th Div. The German 61st Inf Div, led by MAJGEN Tröger, begins the assault before dawn, but makes little initial impression. The medium armour of 11th Pz Div remains in reserve for now, reluctant to enter the close quarter fighting in the great city. Further north, the defence of Mlawa has now collapsed, with the German advance beginning to isolate the Polish capital from both the south and the north-west.

HyXEcg.jpg

28 Sep 39

Two days later, Warszawa continues to resist strongly, but the German shock attack has now picked up the pace, while more German reserve units attempt to enter the fray. A large group of retreating Polish divisions – the remaining stragglers from the pocket and two fresher divisions) is trying to make it to Warszawa from Pultusk, which has now been lost to the Germans. To the east of the city, the trap is sprung, with 3rd Pz Div having taken Praga (which only contained HQ units) to fully surround the capital. [In OTL, the Siege of Warsaw ended on this day.]

UfAYJO.jpg

29 Sep 39

Warszawa fights on grimly, but the pressure is now telling on 22nd Mtn Div. GEN Szylling has shown great ingenuity, foiling the German’s blitz attack with a very effective elastic defence, making the most of the urban conditions. This is just as well, as 11th Pz and 8th Inf Divs have now joined the German battle line. Only three Polish divisions are now heading for Warszawa from the north, the rest having instead turned east, to what they see as safety, making no pretence of holding the line.

Ths7HU.jpg

A new artillery brigade is delivered in Patra, for now allocated to 9 Inf Div (Lt). Another Heavy AA battery is ordered, plus a new naval transport: the more troops we commit to the defence of southern Greece, the more Turkey wants to ensure it will be able to extract as many as possible in the event the line breaks. Turkey cannot afford to have large troop surrenders.

MSunLD.jpg

30 Sep 39

The next day, in Warszawa, 22nd Mtn Div still fights on but is almost spent. Soon 55th Div will need to take on the defence. Seeking the knockout blow, the Germans mount another shock attack, while 3rd Pz Div moves into a reserve position to the east of the city. [In OTL, on this day the Polish government-in-exile was established in Paris. Władysław Raczkiewicz and Władysław Sikorski became President and Prime Minister, respectively.]

Ws4aco.jpg

More AA is built in Istanbul, bringing it up to five heavy batteries.

Xz9HnO.jpg

1 Oct 39

The morning report from the Turkish Embassy in Warszawa indicates the end is near. The few remaining diplomatic staff shelter in the Embassy’s air raid bunker, while our intrepid Defence Attaché continues to file reports, as the Germans close in. They may have diplomatic immunity, but that does not extend to stray aerial bombing or artillery shells. 22nd Mtn Div surrendered overnight, leaving the 55th in charge of the defence, sorely pressed by a German blitz attack. German panzers pass through some of the less damaged streets to position themselves for the final assault. The Polish commander in Warszawa, GEN Szylling, has managed to fight on more effectively and for longer that most had anticipated. Alas, the experience he has gained will not do him much good in a German POW camp – if he is "lucky" enough to make it to one.

QpTxJd.jpg

At 6pm that evening, the battle for the capital is over, and with it the hopes of the Poles. The Poles approach the Germans under a flag of truce to offer their surrender. They pile up their arms in the city centre and march off into captivity. No-one knows what lies ahead for them, but Poland has now reached 100% surrender progress. So, although the Government had previously fled to Lwow, where a new capital has been established, it will be all over by midnight.

8SiFsE.jpg

(1:54m)
The Fall of Warsaw, the Maginot Line … and Puerto Rico – saved from imminent Nazi invasion. “When I’m in Puerto Rico, dearie”: Oh dearie! How typical of this (in the West) “Phoney War” period.

2 Oct 39

The September Campaign (which just managed to last into October) is over, just over a month after it began. The Polish Government never actually surrendered – they have fled overseas to form a Government in Exile. But troops under arms all over the remaining Polish territory make their own arrangements to surrender, with Germany declaring its conquest of Poland at midnight. Turkey’s Embassy in Warszawa has emerged damaged, but with no casualties among the limited number of staff who remained. In his final report from Warszawa, at 1am Ambassador Ahmet Ferit Tek advises Ankara that Germany has seized much of western Poland and incorporated it into the Greater German Reich. A temporary military governorate controls the rest of the country.

Ulo5li.jpg

7DNuBc.jpg

Ignacy Jan Paderewski (b. 18 November 1860) was a Polish pianist and composer, politician and spokesman for Polish independence. He was a favourite of concert audiences around the world. His musical fame opened access to diplomacy and the media. In this alternate world, he has been President of Poland since January 1936. He has now presided over the destruction of Polish independence. Known as a ‘Weary Stiffneck’ – and this is definitely making him very weary. He is currently en route to Paris with the rest of his Government in Exile, having exited through Romania.

At 6pm, a previously secret clause of the Nazi-Soviet Pact is revealed: the Soviet Union marches unopposed into eastern Poland, which Germany concedes to the Soviets in line with the agreement hammered out between them earlier in the year. Any Polish units still in that zone are forced to surrender to their new Soviet masters. It becomes obvious that the Germans never had any fear the Soviet Union would intervene. Scenes are played out along the new border between the German Reich and the Soviet Union, where soldiers and officers from the respective sides meet amicably. Of course, the Western media portrays this as in invasion. But clearly, as the Soviets proclaim, they never declared war on Poland, but simply moved in to protect minorities in eastern Poland and to reclaim territory they believe was always rightfully theirs. While this may cause a few uncomfortable moments in the official corridors of Ankara, it is easily enough “explained” – especially when the press is strictly under Government control. [Ed. Of course, on a personal non-game note: the backstabbing Communist bastards! Another Polish partition :mad:. Still, at least here they don’t actually attack Polish troops and only step in after the German conquest is complete. Like the carrion-crawlers they are. o_O]

RcUQgw.jpg

3 Oct 39

The developments in Poland have done nothing to dent the image of the Soviet “rescuers” of eastern Poland. Comintern alignment distance has now plummeted to only 93.06 – less than 50 away from being able to join the bloc! In fact, such is the new-found popularity of Turkey’s Soviet ‘brothers’ that their State-run tourist agency is suddenly doing a good trade in holiday packages! And now they share a direct border with the Germans, Turkey is more guaranteed of a Soviet distraction should it successfully join the Comintern.

VXYnGY.jpg

Come to Baku, the French Riviera of the Caspian Sea! Last year’s posters are dusted off in travel agencies in Istanbul. Beaches and oil rigs – what more could a Good Communist Man (or Fellow Traveller) want for his holiday?

News Report, London, UK. Winston Churchill [First Lord of the Admiralty by now in OTL, still just an influential backbencher in this universe] gives a radio address from London reviewing the first month of the war. During this broadcast, he famously calls Russia “a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.”

Coming Up: The Turkish Military looks forward to buying some Soviet arms licenses again in the near future. The Armaments Ministry is tasked to have a look at the latest Soviet ‘export catalogue’ to see what might be available soon. Apart from some more decent tanks, a few wings of more modern interceptors would be useful. The last time the Air Force procurement chief looked, what was on offer from the Soviets was no better that the obsolete Curtiss Hawk 3s currently in service. The next big question is, of course, where will Germany turn next, and when? By now, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium – and of course the military powerhouse of Luxembourg – have all mobilised, but remain neutral. Without serious Allied support, they are likely to suffer the same fate as Poland – except a lot more quickly. For now, Turkey continues its National Republican Guard recruiting program and hopes to induct the new recruits into the manpower pool by the end of October. Without the forces to fight a forward defence, the Turkish Army remains behind the Calistar and Iskandar Lines, hoping Germany looks the other way, at least until the Comintern can be joined. While that alliance plan is no guarantee of security, it would be a lot better than fighting alone, given the Allies are already at war with the Germans.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Polish staff liaison officers also discuss their Land Doctrine development. Alas, as with their equipment priorities, there is plenty of hit and miss here as well. The highest development is in People’s Army (L3) – which may have been of more use if they’d had any MIL or GAR forces! A bit of a waste, unless it helps partisan activity during what could be a long occupation - which is a bit too late. Assault Concentration (support brigade organisation) is at L1 – but the Poles have not built any support brigades! More waste. Infantry Warfare (infantry organisation, L2) and Mass Assault (infantry morale, L2) are of more conventional use. All told, of the eight doctrine levels researched, half have been wasted. A poor return with so few LS points to apply.

I wonder if maybe Poland started with some or all of these doctrines, instead of researching them? Other than the mismatch with the AI's army composition, the doctrines seem reasonable enough that a human (PDI dev) selected them.

If the AI chose doctrines, I'd expect to see four points in Blitzkrieg or something equally laughable. :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
President Roosevelt makes a speech to Congress saying the United States should amend its Neutrality Acts to allow countries fighting Germany to purchase American arms. The President says the current laws stood to give passive “aid to an aggressor,” while denying help to victimised nations.

That's actually a really good point and defends US ideals as well as their interests, and protects democracy across the world.
Lets all just pause for a moment and savour this.

The Polish 22nd Mtn Div has now been entrenched in Warszawa for three days and has still not been attacked. [In OTL, Lwow fell to the Soviets on this day, following their invasion of 17 Sep.]

Given what Germany has shown itself capable of, the Netherlands wisely decides to mobilise, perhaps anticipating a German attack once they have finished with Poland.

Two days later, Warszawa continues to resist strongly, but the German shock attack has now picked up the pace, while more German reserve units attempt to enter the fray. A large group of retreating Polish divisions – the remaining stragglers from the pocket and two fresher divisions) is trying to make it to Warszawa from Pultusk, which has now been lost to the Germans. To the east of the city, the trap is sprung, with 3rd Pz Div having taken Praga (which only contained HQ units) to fully surround the capital. [In OTL, the Siege of Warsaw ended on this day.]

The next day, in Warszawa, 22nd Mtn Div still fights on but is almost spent. Soon 55th Div will need to take on the defence. Seeking the knockout blow, the Germans mount another shock attack, while 3rd Pz Div moves into a reserve position to the east of the city. [In OTL, on this day the Polish government-in-exile was established in Paris. Władysław Raczkiewicz and Władysław Sikorski became President and Prime Minister, respectively.]

Fantastic amount of delaying going on here! The longer the Germans waste time on the vanilla war (Poland and France), the better for us! Especially as they seem to have lost more than they were planning on in taking Poland. Lets see if France and the other European allies can do any better.

Somehow I doubt it but we live in hope (that could almost be the French motto).

Of course, the Western media portrays this as in invasion. But clearly, as the Soviets proclaim, they never declared war on Poland, but simply moved in to protect minorities in eastern Poland and to reclaim territory they believe was always rightfully theirs. While this may cause a few uncomfortable moments in the official corridors of Ankara, it is easily enough “explained” – especially when the press is strictly under Government control. [Ed. Of course, on a personal non-game note: the backstabbing Communist bastards! Another Polish partition :mad:. Still, at least here they don’t actually attack Polish troops and only step in after the German conquest is complete. Like the carrion-crawlers they are. o_O]

Ah well, this might have a few in Turkey worried, especially if the war ends and turkey is so battered that their Soviet 'friends' feel they could use a little 'help' from the benevolent Soviet Union. We must be watchful.

• 1Like
Reactions:
the Grudziadz-Brodnica Pocket

No matter how many times I play as Germany, with AI controlled Armies or AI Theatres, that pocket always forms. I think it is the German units in East Prussia and the German units east of Berlin closing together to cut off the City of Danzig - they always trap a huge amount of Polish Divisions in that general area.

In one game I once tried to keep track of all the Divisions who got crushed and I realized that the amount of Polish soldiers killed or captured would have easily been over 200,000. I believe that was almost a fourth of their loses for the whole invasion. Those first few days, if the Polish AI isn't careful, the Germans can REALLY wipe them off the map.

Reactions:
I wonder if maybe Poland started with some or all of these doctrines, instead of researching them? Other than the mismatch with the AI's army composition, the doctrines seem reasonable enough that a human (PDI dev) selected them.

If the AI chose doctrines, I'd expect to see four points in Blitzkrieg or something equally laughable. :p
Good point. Will check the records. If they did start with them, it means they didn't build to their strengths.

Reactions:
Fantastic amount of delaying going on here! The longer the Germans waste time on the vanilla war (Poland and France), the better for us! Especially as they seem to have lost more than they were planning on in taking Poland. Lets see if France and the other European allies can do any better.

Somehow I doubt it but we live in hope (that could almost be the French motto).

Ah well, this might have a few in Turkey worried, especially if the war ends and turkey is so battered that their Soviet 'friends' feel they could use a little 'help' from the benevolent Soviet Union. We must be watchful.
I can't tell how many casualties the Germans took in the campaign, can only hope they feel them later (around about the same time Istanbul becomes an alternate Stalingrad for them! If we're actually in the Comintern we'll be safe in-game, but yes in the alt-world following, you'd be looking over your shoulder carefully!

Reactions:
No matter how many times I play as Germany, with AI controlled Armies or AI Theatres, that pocket always forms. I think it is the German units in East Prussia and the German units east of Berlin closing together to cut off the City of Danzig - they always trap a huge amount of Polish Divisions in that general area.

In one game I once tried to keep track of all the Divisions who got crushed and I realized that the amount of Polish soldiers killed or captured would have easily been over 200,000. I believe that was almost a fourth of their loses for the whole invasion. Those first few days, if the Polish AI isn't careful, the Germans can REALLY wipe them off the map.
Yes, the over-investment in the Corridor was one of the criticisms of their strategy, meaning the troops were very vulnerable to what you describe. Also that the whole strategy of fighting on the border was misplaced - though they apparently wanted (not unreasonably) to defend some key industrial and population centres in western Poland; were relying on the mutual defence arrangements with the Allies to provide a major offensive distraction in the West; and thought it would take the Germans up to six months to break them, giving more time for Allied assistance to materialise. Though I've read a French military adviser mission had advocated a river based defence in depth, but that approach was discounted.

I played Poland once and tried that, knowing what was coming and building up as best I could, lasted for a while, but was still beaten. Then out of interest, played again to see if I could get them to survive through appeasement: gave up the corridor, etc. survived the war, there was never a Barbarossa, can't remember too much more except it was a boring game played on fast forward most of the time!

Reactions:
IRL, the Poles were absolutely aware thr border defence was not viable, and the entire defense was planned and mounted as a fighting withdrawl to the Vistula. It was done out of political nesscicity, mostly from fear that if they didn't fight for Western Poland, France and England would simply refuse to view it as an invasion, and they would be left alone much like the Czechs. By the time the Germans reached the Vistula, much of the steam of the German invasion had ran out and the Poles were actually stabilizing the frontlines, but then the Soviet invasion basically destroyed that stabilization, as the plans for a Romanian bridgehead and continued defense turned into a headlong rush to escape to neutral territory.

Reactions:
IRL, the Poles were absolutely aware thr border defence was not viable, and the entire defense was planned and mounted as a fighting withdrawl to the Vistula. It was done out of political nesscicity, mostly from fear that if they didn't fight for Western Poland, France and England would simply refuse to view it as an invasion, and they would be left alone much like the Czechs. By the time the Germans reached the Vistula, much of the steam of the German invasion had ran out and the Poles were actually stabilizing the frontlines, but then the Soviet invasion basically destroyed that stabilization, as the plans for a Romanian bridgehead and continued defense turned into a headlong rush to escape to neutral territory.
Thanks for the additional insight VonMudra - makes sense. The unanticipated speed of the blitzkrieg would have also played havoc with the time and space calculation for the fighting withdrawal - which is generally acknowledged as the most difficult military operation to conduct. Having exercised it a few times as a tank troop leader I can certainly attest to that! Made even more difficult if your enemy has far better mobility and comms than you, plus air supremacy. And is shooting real bullets and bombs at you. :eek:

In game this time, the same timetable for conquest pretty much matched OTL, even without the Soviet intervention. And so ends this sad simulated repetition of history, for the umpteenth time :(.

I will have to search for an AAR where someone halts the Germans and then throws them back. Even on the easy difficulty and from 1936, I'd like to see how it can be done without major tinkering with the game setting or Polish start.

Reactions:
The funny thing is the Polish use of the cavalry brigades as anti-Panzer division units actually worked- the Panzers advanced far slower than the rest of the German infantry as they were under constantly ambush and harassment that continuously wore down their numbers (by the end of the week most were operating at about 30-40% below starting strength), and most were pulled out of Poland by the 18th-20th due to combat losses. In fact, the average speed of the entire German advance was no faster than their invasion of France in 1914. This is merely one of the many reasons the idea of 'Blitzkrieg" is being seen more and more as a mythology created by propaganda and post-war romanticism than actually being anything new or revolutionary.

And yes, there have been a few like that. Most involve a Polish invasion of East Prussia followed by a full defense on the Vistula, along with a lot of fortification building. Personally, I just modded BlackICE myself so that the Polish divisions realistically reflect the large amount of AT they were issued. German AI can still win, but it's not so easy as a human player now to just crush Poland in a week like in vanilla.

Reactions:
Addendum to Chapter 66: Polish In-game Doctrine and Politics 1936-39
Addendum to Chapter 66: Polish In-game Doctrine and Politics 1936-39

Before finalising the next update (where the 'Phoney War' is not quite Phoney for some), I thought I'd follow up on nuclearslurpee's query about the comments on Polish doctrine research in Chapter 66. The question became: did the Poles (ie the AI) waste leadership by researching things they didn't need, or not take advantage of building units to suit doctrine they already had?

It seems it was a bit of both: of the four areas that showed above-base level Land Doctrine research in 1939, Poland started each of them at Level 2 in 1936, and then added to three of those in the next three and some years to Sep 39. In People's Army, this was two levels: so it remains that the area they had researched the most didn't have a single brigade of the type that would benefit from it (eg MIL or GAR). This is what happens when you let the AI run your research ;). Both these shots come from the first save of this game (not generated anew from scratch), just in case is ever varies on start-up - probably not, but you never know.

qQGiUU.jpg

While I was delving in the Poland of 1936, I also noted the Government then was the one that actually (in OTL) pretty much went through to the war. In this universe though, there were elections due to be held in November 1938, when there was obviously a change (to the PSL). And looking at the popularity figures, it's not hard to see how the Social Conservative OZN government lost!

OKWQ51.jpg

This made me a bit curious, as to why the two time lines diverged so markedly at this point. Professor Wiki advises:

Parliamentary elections were held in Poland on 6 November 1938, with Senate elections held a week later on 13 November. They were the last elections in the Second Polish Republic. This election was held under the April Constitution of 1935, which was written to favour the Sanation movement.

Further (yes, cursory via Google) follow-up yielded:

Sanation was a Polish political movement that was created in the interwar period, prior to Józef Piłsudski's May 1926 Coup d'État, and came to power in the wake of that coup. Sanation, which advocated authoritarian rule, rested on a circle of Piłsudski's close associates, including Walery Sławek, Aleksander Prystor, Kazimierz Świtalski, Janusz Jędrzejewicz, Adam Koc, Józef Beck, Tadeusz Hołówko, Bogusław Miedziński and Edward Rydz-Śmigły. It preached the primacy of the national interest in governance, and contended against the system of parliamentary democracy.

The Camp of National Unity, (Obóz Zjednoczenia Narodowego, abbreviated "OZN") was a Polish political party founded in 1937 by sections of the leadership in the Sanation movement. A year after the 1935 death of Poland's Chief of State Marshal Józef Piłsudski, in mid-1936, one of his followers, Marshal Edward Rydz-Śmigły, attempted to unite the various government factions under his leadership. The attempt failed as another (opposing) Sanation politician, President Ignacy Mościcki, likewise had a large following; nevertheless, substantial numbers of people did throw their lot in with Rydz-Śmigły.

Eventually Sanation devolved into three separate movements:

1. the Sanation Left (Lewica sanacyjna, formed around Walery Sławek), which sought a modus vivendi with the opposition);
2. the Castle (Zamek, formed around President Ignacy Mościcki, who resided in the Warsaw Castle — hence the movement's name), which became the center; and
3. the Sanation Right (Prawica sanacyjna, formed around Edward Rydz-Śmigły), which soon became virtually indistinguishable from the Camp of National Unity.

The first of these Sanation movements soon lost much of its importance, but the other two continued the ideological struggle within the country until the outbreak of war, but working together in two factions of a like movement.

Wikipedia says the Camp of National Unity won 164 of the 208 seats in the Sejm and 66 of the 96 seats in the Senate in 1938. How accurate the above descriptions are and how all this translates into the popularity figures in Jan 36 HoI3 TFH Poland and the resultant change of government in 1938 is a mystery to me. I just thought it was an interesting diversion.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 67: Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen! (3 to 31 October 1939)
Chapter 67: Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen! (3 to 31 October 1939)

3 Oct 39

Germany wastes no time selecting their next target: the unfortunate Denmark! The Danes immediately join the Allies. [In OTL this began on 9 April 1940. Lasting approximately six hours, the German ground campaign against Denmark was one of the shortest military operations of the Second World War. It will be very different in this game – the Germans seem to have sent only very light forces to complete the task! But the campaign will only be reported on every couple of weeks, with key highlights only.] With no Turkish spies or military liaison officers in place, information is not plentiful.

n9ED1g.jpg

Denmark has three key cities with one VP each. Inset: Danish bicycle infantry maintaining observation of the German advance in Sönderborg, 3 Oct 39.

[Historical note: The attack on Denmark was planned as a part of the German Operation Weserübung Süd – the German plan for an invasion of Norway. The purpose was mainly to secure the iron ore shipping from Narvik. In order to capture Norway, the Germans had to control the airfield outside Aalborg in northern Jutland (in-game this seems to be located in Frederikshavn). The Luftwaffe high command was in favour of occupying Denmark to extend the German air-defence network northwards, making it harder for British bombers to outflank the system from the north when attacking cities in Germany.]

5 Oct 39

News Report: Warsaw, German ‘General Government’ (Poland). Hitler flies to Warsaw and reviews a victory parade in the fallen Polish capital.

sl3KL6.jpg

The odious Herr Hitler reviews a victory parade in Warsaw on 5 Oct 39.

The 1940 Model Turkish Army – Reorganisation Plans

Back in Ankara, President (and Armament Minister) Ismet Inönü has directed his principal land and air commanders to ponder the lessons of the recent Polish campaign, re-examine the Turkish order of battle and come up with a plan for unit production between now and the end of 1940. Foreign Minister Aras has advised Comintern alignment has improved so dramatically (back under 75 distance) that production licenses can again be bought from the Soviets! The President asks his commanders to decide what they need in the short term, propose a reorganisation and start placing orders for licenses for longer term force development. In anticipation of the influx of new National Republican Guard recruits at the end of the month, substantive unit production can again be considered.

Chief of Staff (and Chief of Air Force) Ali Örlungat, Chief of Army Nuri Yamut and Supreme (theatre) Commander Fuad Calistar first look at the current order of battle:

1. There is a mix of different infantry division types, with the 3 X INF + 1 ARTY being the mainstay. Some divisions have a different support brigade instead of the ARTY (AT or AA), while there are also some ‘Light’ (2 x INF + 1 SPT) divisions. There are two Corps HQs, each with a mix of three combat brigades, including INF and SPT. The two mountain divisions are at full strength (4 x MTN).
  • Their first decision is to make the 3 x INF + 1 x ARTY division the standard frontline infantry formation. Nine such divisions will be fielded, with all the ARTY spread out in different configurations now (such as in HQs or ‘light divisions’) matched up with a 3 x INF division.
  • The ‘light’ division concept will be continued, in order to provide relief units, but they will all be 2 x INF + 1AT, given the expected panzer threat (and the discounted value of AA brigades, no more of which will now be ordered). There are enough INF and AT brigades to field four of these light divisions - one for each of the main defensive line provinces.
  • The forces in southern Greece are now numerous enough to warrant another Corps HQ which, despite the officer drain and need to find a commander (depriving a line division of one), the cost is considered worth it. A new intake of commanders will be available in January.
  • The three Corps HQs will remain holding combat units. Yamut has been reading some old doctrine books [Ed: ie. I stumbled across some musings in an old Poland AAR] which pointed out militia are about the same speed as an HQ and can provide the frontage needed to be able to fight. Each Corps HQ (in addition to the HQ brigade) will consist of 1x MIL, 1 x AT and 1 x AA. Militia units will be redeployed from garrison duty around the nation, so will need to be replaced in those duties with three new ones.
  • With the remaining brigades, one specialist ‘Support Division’ will be formed – others may follow in the future. It will consist of 2 x INF, 1AT and 1AA and can be used in a province that does not contain a Corps HQ, or as additional support in the key Athina or Istanbul provinces. The INF for this is not yet ready: one is in production now (due to be delivered 6 Feb 40), the other will need to be placed into the queue later.
  • This will account for all the current infantry and support brigades. The immediate production bill is therefor 1 x INF and 3 x MIL, with a Corps HQ to be formed in Athina and attached to the 1st Army (now commanded by Inönü himself after the last command redistribution).
  • No change will be made to the mountain divisions.
2. Mobile forces currently consist of 1st Cav Div (Armoured), with 1 x ARM, 1 x LARM, 1 x CAV and 1 x AC. The 2nd Cav Div consists of 3 x CAV and 1 x AC. Another two independent cavalry brigades are on garrison duty in the former Yugoslavia and Iran. The current plan is to stand up one very quick combat division of 1 x LARM, 2 x MOT and 1 x TD, and another (not quite as speedy) reaction force of 1 x ARM, 2 x CAV and 1 x AC. 2nd Cav Div will remain in its ‘classic’ cavalry formation of 3 x CAV and 1 x AC (one of the independent cavalry brigades will eventually need to be recalled for this – probably the one in the Balkans, as 2 Mtn Div is in place to put down any rebellions in the meantime).
  • These reorganisations will only be effected as the new units come on board.
  • A second T-28 licensed ARM brigade is in production and due 12 Apr 40. Thought will be given to where it is deployed at the time.
  • As an intermediate plan, some Soviet licensed units will be sought (which Turkey doesn’t have technical access to yet): 2 x TD (Tank Destroyer) and 2 x MOT brigades (both for serial production).
  • It is not yet worth converting our Cav brigades into light armour, given how woefully backward our indigenous tank production technology is.
  • The General Staff is keen to continue to lay plans for a more powerful mobile and armour-supported heavy counter-attacking force while the main infantry-based static defence is prepared, so additional medium or even heavy armour will be considered. SP artillery would also be very useful if the Soviets are able to offer it in the future. These capability needs will be assessed as time goes on, and any “learned comment” will be gratefully accepted in the meantime!
3. Örlungat is also keen to see whether the Soviets have developed any better aircraft, particularly fighters (interceptor or multi-role) since this was last checked. The three senior commanders get out the glossy pamphlets and start browsing.

BIlcSg.jpg

Three models are being considered: for comparison. First, the current Turkish fighter (which can be built in Turkey), the Curtiss Hawk 3. The Soviet Polykarpov I-16 is their export interceptor. To give an idea of what they’re up against, the German Me109D is reviewed. Örlungat also gets the specs for the Soviet MiG-3 multi-role fighter bomber – not an interceptor, but he's just interested to see what it could do.​

9GSQex.jpg

Some main indicative specifications are compared. Next time, they will include range as well. Neither the I-16 nor the MiG-3 look particularly persuasive yet, given it may be years (if ever) before Turkey will be able to upgrade them. Neither would be able to seriously match the Me109D (or whatever later models the Germans would be fielding by then), especially given Turkish fighter doctrine is very basic too (although some introductory research has been done). The I-16 has a significantly better air attack than the Hawk 3, but is actually a bit weaker in air defence. Both would be blasted out of the sky by the Me109. The roubles will be kept in the wallet for now in the hope that some better models become available later. Provincial AA will continue to be the prevailing air defence doctrine for now.​

4. Finally, Yamut and Calistar are interested in medium and heavy tank designs. A similar approach is taken as for the fighters, with the German export Panzer III being compared, plus the early version of the new Soviet heavy tank, the KV-1. There is interest in that as an infantry support brigade for tough breakthrough assault (or indeed defence), which more mobile formations would exploit on breakthrough. Nothing like looking ahead to the final phase of the war – so long as we survive the next one!

9GqVy2.jpg

vL5sQ2.jpg

The Soviet T-28s we currently have (one brigade, plus another building) have already been superseded by the BT-7M, which is an incremental improvement in all major combat aspects. This illustrates the danger of ordering too far ahead and getting obsolete equipment, though this wasn’t available when we were commencing our second ARM brigade.

The BT-7M is basically an exact match for the German Panzer III in key combat characteristics, though we know the Germans have already deployed the Panzer IV (we only get to see the specs on their export catalogues).

The KV-1 looks like it is still in the early stages of development: while it has significantly less softness than the others and offer greater capability in most aspects, the very low toughness is a worry. Perhaps that will be improved with more research. For now, Yamut is not persuaded to buy, but will keep an eye on these designs as they improve.​

The first license order is simpler: the Soviets can offer Level 4 MOT brigades for a good price. That will be the first request.

6 Oct 39

More AA is added in Athina – the initial aim is to get it to 6 strength – this latest build brings it to 4.

Sw0ZyT.jpg

A new AT brigade is delivered to Üsküdar: it remains ‘spare’ for now, but will be redeployed when the planned Army reorganisation begins, in November.

vecQby.jpg

Alas, although we thought it was likely the Soviets would accept our offer for 2 x MOT licenses, they have turned us down. There goes one diplomatic point and we will now have to wait for a week to make another offer.

News Report: Berlin, Germany. Hitler addresses a special session of the Reichstag. After speaking at great length about the victory over Poland he then proposes an international security conference, hinting at a desire for an armistice by saying that such a conference would be impossible “while cannons are thundering.” Britain and France reject these overtures and the uneventful phase of the war known as the ‘Phoney War’ would drags on. Though the war certainly isn’t phoney for Denmark!

10 Oct 39

News Report: Paris, France. French Prime Minister Albert Sarraut [Édouard Daladier in OTL] gives a radio address rejecting Hitler's latest peace propositions, saying that a settlement at this time “would only consecrate conquests by deceit or violence and would not prevent preparation for new ones.” Sarraut vows that arms would only be laid down “when we have certain guaranties of security which may not be put in doubt every six months.”

12 Oct 39

News Report: London, UK. In the British House of Commons, Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain formally replies to Hitler's peace offer by saying that a settlement “must be a real and settled peace, not an uneasy truce interrupted by constant alarms and repeated threats.” Chamberlain further explains, “Herr Hitler rejected all suggestions for peace until he had overwhelmed Poland, as he had previously overthrown Czechoslovakia. Peace conditions cannot be acceptable which begin by condoning aggression. The proposals in the German Chancellor's speech are vague and uncertain and contain no suggestion for righting the wrongs done to Czechoslovakia and to Poland. Even if Herr Hitler's proposals were more closely defined and contained suggestions to right these wrongs, it would still be necessary to ask by what practical means the German Government intend to convince the world that aggression will cease and that pledges will be kept. Past experience has shown that no reliance can be placed upon the promises of the present German Government.”

13 Oct 39

This time, our offer is accepted by the Soviets. The first MOT brigade is put into the queue.

xUx3Eq.jpg

News Report: Radio Broadcast, US. Charles Lindbergh makes another radio address in favour of American isolationism and questions Canada's right to be involved in the war. “We must protect our sister American nations from foreign invasion, both for their welfare and our own”, Lindbergh says. “But, in turn, they have a duty to us ... We desire the utmost friendship with the people of Canada. If their country is ever attacked, our navy will be defending their seas, our soldiers will fight on their battlefields, our fliers will die in their skies. But have they the right to draw this hemisphere into a European war simply because they prefer the Crown of England to American independence?”

He is saying this on the back of a Gallup Poll of 6 October which asked: “What should be the policy in the present European war? Should we declare war and send our army and navy abroad to fight Germany?” 95% of Americans polled said no.

18 Oct 39

The Danish Campaign has now been going for two weeks and the German progress has been surprisingly slow, as this first update shows. We have been tracking the fall of provinces throughout, and our agents at the French Defence Ministry in Paris have been able to copy this intelligence report from Denmark of the situation as at 1300 on 18 October. The two sources have been combined to show the fall of Danish provinces since the attack was launched on 3 October.

cQzNbC.jpg

The Germans appear to only be using around three infantry divisions for their attack! While they were able to secure the VP city of Odense on 13 Oct, they have been halted outside Århus for nine days so far. German forces are now outside the Danish capital of Copenhagen, having arrived two days before. [A far cry from the OTL duration of six hours before surrender.] Another report will be provided at the end of the month, unless Denmark falls in the meantime.

19 Oct 39

News Report: New York, US. Former heavyweight boxing champion Gene Tunney criticizes Charles Lindbergh's radio address of October 13, especially his remarks about Canada. Tunney says he has great respect for Lindbergh but could not understand how he could “desert” England after being sheltered there. Tunney also said it took “great nerve and ambition” for Lindbergh to tell Americans how they should think after accepting an award from the Nazis while visiting Germany.

ht66J9.jpg

James Joseph "Gene" Tunney (b. May 25, 1897), seen here in Marine uniform (from WW1). He was the world heavyweight title holder from 1926 to 1928, when he retired. He defeated Jack Dempsey twice; first in 1926 and again in 1927. In 1928, the U.S. Marine Corps presented – as a sign of friendship – a football (soccer) challenge cup to the Corps of Royal Marines. The Royal Marines named the trophy the "Tunney Cup," and he presented the trophy on behalf of the U.S. Marine Corps.

20 Oct 39

More AA is delivered in Istanbul, bringing it up to 6 in strength. It will be left at this for now, especially as production focus will now begin turning to ground units again, including those Soviet licenses, more of which are being sought. Though not this time, as a likely request for 2 x Soviet SU-85 TD brigades is declined. Another provincial AA battery is ordered instead, with some IC being temporarily ‘parked’ in supply production while we await the next opportunity to buy a TD license.

PnLcYt.jpg

22 Oct 39

News Report: Moscow, Soviet Union. Elections to the People's Assemblies of Western Ukraine and Western Belarus are held to provide an appearance of legitimacy for the Soviet annexation of Poland.

That’s the way you do it! This ploy draws approving nods from the powerbrokers in Ankara.

After a long respite and truly breakneck Comintern realignment since the German invasion of Poland, Josef Goebbels ramps up a propaganda campaign to prevent Turkey from falling into the Soviet camp. However, because of the far higher countervailing Comintern influence this time round, the net effect will be far smaller than during the dark days of the Japanese interventions. Interior Minister Kaya is hopeful this will not last too long: we had come to only about 24 distance from the Comintern – a couple more weeks would have probably sealed the deal, if not for this last desperate German effort. But there should be plenty of time before the Comintern alignment is needed – Germany seems to have turned west and probably wants to keep Turkey at arm’s length while they deal with the French and British, who have infuriated Hitler by turning down his ‘peace’ overtures earlier in the month.

TdianV.jpg

23 Oct 39

News Report: Washington DC, US. It always depends on the questions you ask! Another Gallup poll result is published in the United States, this time asking, “Which side do you want to see win the war?” 84% of Americans surveyed said the Allies, 14% expressed no opinion, and only 2% said Germany. The same poll asked, “Do you think the United States should do everything possible to help England and France win the war, except go to war ourselves?” 62% said yes, 38% said no.

25 Oct 39

A great day for Turkish research, with two new techs finished, both of them very useful. In light of the coming development of more mobile units and our considerable cavalry force, research on the first level of Tactical Command Structure is commenced. Also, given the purchase of licenses (and about a 50% decline rate so far), a small diversion of leadership is made from officer training to the diplomatic corps.

PS3yDq.jpg

26 Oct 39

News Report: Bratislava, Slovakia. In OTL, Jozef Tiso became the first President of Slovakia. He immediately appointed Vojtech Tuka Prime Minister. [Ed. This note is in tribute to @El Pip. I hope you are still watching out there in Slower Than Real Time, my friend!]

27 Oct 39

This time our application for two TD licenses is granted, with the first TD brigade going into production.

KioaAh.jpg

9374Ei.jpg

The SU-85 Tank Destroyer: this looks like a pretty mean piece of equipment.

News Report: Vatican City, Holy See. The Pope Pius XII encyclical Summi Pontificatus is published, denouncing totalitarianism. The encyclical expresses compassion for displaced Poles but avoids condemning Germany by name.

31 Oct 39

Ögel notes his single reserve spy has been called to France, indicating the first capture there in months. On checking, he finds our strength is suddenly now down to 8: given that includes the reserve who has been committed, this means three spies have been uncovered recently. This somewhat alarming news is met with a quick reaction. French counter-espionage sits at 4 – not high, but higher than it has been. First, Ögel switches the whole focus to counter-espionage from tech espionage, in an effort to hit the French domestic intelligence service hard (and hoping our spy attrition won’t be too high).

f4l4uY.jpg

Next, Inönü grants Ögel an emergency increase in espionage LS of 0.40, taken from research (which falls below 7 for the first time in a long time), diplomacy (there’s enough of a reserve there for now) and officer training (though not too much, as at 105% officer levels are OK but not nearly as high as we would like them to be, with more units on the way, including a new Corps HQ).

6EtCg5.jpg

News Report: Moscow, Soviet Union. Soviet Foreign Minister Maksim Litvinov [Vyacheslav Molotov in OTL] sends a Soviet ultimatum to Finland making several demands, including that the town of Hanko be handed over for use as a Russian naval base [OTL news event, no in-game effect].

Another couple of weeks has passed in the Danish Campaign, and the Danes still hold out! We have not got any troop disposition snapshot this time, but have noted the shifts in the front line since 18 October and when the (only) four provinces to fall were occupied by the Germans. One of those was Århus on 26 October, the second of the three Danish VP cities. We can’t tell whether they have been attacking or not, but the Germans have been sitting outside Copenhagen now since 16 October: hardly the same sense of urgency they exhibited when they took Poland down! Denmark, although teetering on the edge, is still just short of surrendering. It looks like the Germans will have to assault Copenhagen after all!

k4TpXu.jpg

(2:16 min)
Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen indeed!

To finish the month, word comes in that the recruiting target for the National Republican Guard has been met. Eager recruits from across the Glorious Union have flocked to the banner. This pool of recruits will be very useful to help construct the new units needed to complete the reorganisation of the current force, to build some more frontline infantry divisions and start preparing the mobile and heavy armoured counter-attacking formations the General Staff hopes to start fielding in 1940-41.

tbY55G.jpg

Coming Up: The winter will be used to reorganise the Army into its ‘1940’ model configuration. The after-thought, minimalist German invasion of Denmark may eventually end (unless Copenhagen becomes the new Stalingrad) and it will be interesting to see where Germany strikes next. And whether they will do so over the coming winter period. The German propaganda campaign may put a crimp in license buying if it persists, but there is enough to be going on with for Turkish production to remain busy.

We all noticed the Soviets start to make a few demands of the Finns – we will see if our GRU liaison (Agent SkitalecS3) has any inside information the Soviets are willing to share about the trajectory of that (we hear he has been researching planning contingencies for a war on Finland back in GRU Headquarters). There is also the increasing political pressure we believe is likely to be exerted on the Baltic States, now that Poland has been dismembered. And we remain unsure whether the Soviets will press their claims on Bessarabia now that Romania is a Turkish puppet – only time will tell with that.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The Germans really liked the KV-1. When they used it for themselves. If I remember right the one issue everybody had with it was the high profile and it was not wide enough in the tracks. Not sure how to say this properly but it had a habit of getting stuck in soft ground when other tanks, even heavier than the KV-1, had a better track set-up and did not have such issues. I may be mis-remembering...

Reactions: