• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Superstorm

Tea DrinkAAR
1 Badges
Dec 8, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
1629037065732.png

Preface
History can be daunting to study.

No other subject can be submerged in as much bias, whether political, economic, or religious as history can. Of course, it is exactly those factors that define and create the history that we then study.

I say this not to commit to having no bias myself. As neutral as one can be, bias is impossible to avoid. Therefore, I ask you not to take my word as gospel but instead to use it to form your own views. I seek not to convince, only to inform using my own intensive studies into a part of history so critical to the formation of the world as we know it today.

I speak of course of the rise of the House of Gryfita. The family that reinvented the meaning of word ‘pagan’. The Banes of Chernobog, those that rekindled a long dying flame of faith in order defend their people and bring salvation. Or the opportunist schemers, using faith as a mask to achieve power and showing utter indifference to the suffering their religious revolution caused. Both statements could be considered correct and highlights the complex legacy these men and women left.

Whatever your view, it is impossible to deny the importance of the Pomeranian Dukes, turned Polish Kings, turned Emperors to the world stage. To ignore them would be equivalent to ignoring the impact of Rome on history.

Like any good story, we must start at the beginning, where along the Baltic coast, a pagan Duke was surrounded by Catholic rulers. This Duke would set in motion events that would upend the balance of power in Europe.

- Professor D. Harrison, Lincolnshire, 1999

Table of Contents

Note that dates are from coronation to the end of reign, unless otherwise stated this is because of the death of the monarch. Birth dates are shown when known.

Chapter 1: The Trinity
Swietopelk III Gryfita, January 1087 (est.) – 1 August 1141 (est. born 1068)
Wratislaw Gryfita, 1 August 1141 - 25 Febuary 1154 (est. born 1102)
Havel Gryfita, 25 Febuary 1154 - 4 July 1209 (born 28 March 1137)
King Havel of Poland - The High Priest (1154-1158)
The Slavic Church Part 1 - Tenets, Doctrines and Organisation
Velky Volhv Havel of Poland - The Subjugator (1158-1164)
Velky Volhv Havel of Poland - The Demon (1164-1170)
Velky Volhv Havel of Poland - The Sword of Radegast, The Emperor (1170-1172)
Velky Volhv Havel of the Gryfita Empire - The Hero (1172-1174)
Velky Volhv Havel of the Gryfita Empire - The Architect (1174-1176)
Velky Volhv Havel of the Gryfita Empire - The 'Lawgiver' (1176-1182)
Velky Volhv Havel of the Gryfita Empire - The Patron (1182-1190)
Velky Volhv Havel of the Gryfita Empire - The Pagan Adventurer (1190-1191)
Velky Volhv Havel of the Gryfita Empire - The Legend, o Daímonas (1191)
Velky Volhv Havel of the Gryfita Empire - The Champion of the Gods, The Religious Icon, The Living Legend (1191-1209)
The Slavic Church Part 2 - Pantheon, Myths and Afterlife

Century in Summary - From 1100 to 1200
Century in Summary - Map of Europe (1 January 1200)
Chapter 2: The Empire
Wojslawa Gryfita, 4 July 1209 - 18 January 1231 (born 4 May 1164)

Gniewomir Gryfita, 18 January 1231 - 1 September 1232 (born 28 January 1194)
Spytko Gryfita, 18 January 1231 - 14 December 1265 (born 20 March 1227)
Konrad Gryfita, 14 December 1265 - 15 May 1298 (born 9 April 1248)
Velky Volhv Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Promising (1265-1268)
Velky Volhv Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Vanguard (1268-1270)
Velky Volhv Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Vanguard (Part 2) (1270-1273)
Velky Volhv Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Vanguard (Part 3) (1273-1275)
Velky Volhv Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Oathsworn (1275-1277)
Velky Volhv Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Cobra (1278-1279)
Velky Volhv Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Cruel (1279-1281)
Szaman-Cesarz Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Chernoban (1281-1283)
Szaman-Cesarz Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Remorseless (1283-1285)
Szaman-Cesarz Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Absolute (1285-1289)
Szaman-Cesarz Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Relentless (1289-1292)
Szaman-Cesarz Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Lord, The Alone (1292-1298)

Century in Summary - From 1200 to 1300
Century in Summary - Map of Europe (1 Jan 1300)
Chapter 3: The Zenith

Konrad II Gryfita, 15 May 1298 - 28 December 1325 (born 4 March 1273)
Skarbimir Gryfita, 28 December 1325 - 28 April 1347 (born 4 January 1300)
Chapter 4: The Decline

Strasz Gryfita, 28 April 1347 - 12 November 1380 (born 6 December 1319)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
High Chief Swietopelk III of Pomerania - The Pagan (1106 - 1109)
High Chief Swietopelk III of Pomerania - The Pagan (1106 - 1109)
“Chernobog’s victory nears.”

So begins the Czerwony Rękopis, or the Red Manuscript composed by Swietopelk III of Pomerania as he stands on the precipice of the destruction of his beliefs in the Gods.

An important aside to bring up before delving too deep is that of great man history. To say someone of exemplary character shaped history through their cunning or strength or intelligence or any range of attributes is not only quicker, but also easier to adapt for a much more romantic or convenient narrative.

However, the truth resists simplicity. Swietopelk III would employ countless agents and factors outside of his control would contribute to his success. Although, it was through his will and actions that he laid the foundations for his successors and be recognised as the first of The Trinity - the term given to the first three rulers of the Gryfita dynasty. It is important to understand just how he accomplished this, so this section may be more in-depth than others to better describe his journey.

His rise is surprising, given how this last bastion of Old Slavic Paganism (this is the name given to the disparate religious practices before the Reformation) was surrounded by Catholic powers far greater in strength. He had the Holy Roman Empire to the west, Poland to the south and the Scandinavian kings to the North. The only other pagan powers were to the East, Romuvan tribal chiefdoms who could hardly be called allies.

1629223987981.png

For such an important man to history, who Gryfitian researchers use as the beginning of their timelines, frustratingly little is known about his life prior to 1106. He began ruling the lands of Pomerania at supposedly the age of just nineteen. He was married to a noblewoman called Izabela Lubicz with whom he had three young sons, Wratislaw, Ratibor and Swantibor, all under the age of six. No mention is made of his father or predecessors or even how the House of Gryfita was founded. Theories range from them being local pagan nobility (with the Baltic Coast doggedly resisting conversion attempts) to a being a cadet branch of the Polish house of Piasts. The latter was pushed heavily by future historians and the dynasty themselves to legitimise his later actions; the true answer is lost to time.

More is known about his character from contemporary sources. By all accounts to his court, he was a capable warrior, praised for his sense of honour and justice and most surprisingly of all for the time, an avid reader and writer. Later medieval and even modern historians would be guilty of exaggerating his skills to almost fanciful proportions, though what can be said for certain is that he was skilled in swordplay, command (which he will demonstrate time and time again throughout his life) and possessed a bookish disposition.

1629223877049.png

The first event that we can confidently say he took part in is a grisly one. At the start of 1106 Swietopelk III went to a sacred grove within his capital county of Szczecin and pledged himself to the warrior-god Perun. He asked for victory and glory against his foes in battle and offered human sacrifice as tribute.

1629224064276.png

The topic of human sacrifice and its place in the Slavic religion is treacherous and will be analysed in future chapters. For our purposes, note only that this was Swietopelk III demonstrating both his piety and eagerness for glory, of which he certainly would achieve.

A few months later after rallying his forces, the High Chief (a title synonymous and equivalent with Duke) set sail for Sjaelland, the capital county of the Kingdom of Denmark. Arriving in March, the landing took the Danes completely by surprise and no meaningful resistance was mustered.

The siege lasted for five months, during which time surrounding villages were looted and pillaged. The capital fell in August and was stripped of valuables alongside the prominent church town of Lejre in December. Anything of value was taken and the church burnt to the ground, with all who resisted killed. Graphic accounts exist of the violence and the slaughter, with one account claiming the very robes of the priests a were turned into more sacks for loot.

However unsavoury, it was immensely profitable, forcing Sweitopelk III to leave as his ships were loaded to capacity. During and after returning from the raid, he was tutored by various commander and later conducted his own research in siege warfare. This would prove fortuitous, as he would take advantage of this knowledge many times during his life.

1629224083397.png

The glory and riches won in the nine-month raiding period only emboldened Sweitopelk III further. Buoyed by this and having proven to his nobles he was a capable leader; he would turn to turn to the one neighbour that he could both contend with and had a vested interest in absorbing into his realm - Chief Wartislaw of Rana, the only other independent, openly Old Slavic Pagan ruler left standing.

Swietopelk III had the advantage in both numbers and experience, though this would be his first real taste of the battlefield. Securing Wartislaw’s land was paramount, for the Great Temple of Arkona resided within them.

The temple itself was one of the last remaining prominent temples of the Old Slavic faith after the destruction of the pagan fortress at Rethra in 1068 and was dedicated to Svetovid. Used as an oracle site as well as for divination, the temple itself was most known for the estimated 30ft statue of Svetovid that loomed in the inner sanctum, attracting worshipers from far and wide.

Swietopelk III considered the temple to be a holy site, the last one untouched by foreign faiths and powers. To him, as he writes later in the Manuscript, it was critical that it was secured and protected by a single strong entity. Then who better but himself?

An offer of vassalage was sent and promptly rejected by Chief Wartislaw of Rana. Declaring this a grave insult, on the 5 March 1107 the call to arms was put out and Pomeranian levies began to muster. The holy site would be secured by force.

1629224104100.png

The war itself was a forgone conclusion. Chief Wartilsaw, while an accomplished scholar in his own right, lacked the resources or talent to put up a serious fight. Leading them personally, the High Chief engaged with Wartislaw’s forces at Stralow and forced a retreat with minimal losses, which allowed them to march into Rugen itself. By October 1107, in a siege lasting only three months, the county and Arkona with it fell.

The only other battle of note was in Szczecin in December, though not for the fighting itself; it was more a slaughter than a battle. It was however the first time that Sweitopelk III demonstrated his enthusiasm and joy in command and battle alike, not to mention his skill at both. Many of his own men praised this as well, likely inflating the young High Chief’s ego further. This enthusiasm would fade later in his life as the battles grew bigger and bloodier but for now, his passion for war was at its zenith.

1629223645750.png

By April 1108 Chief Rana was forced to surrender and become Sweitopelk III’s vassal. He would be appointed as the Steward to the realm, which was probably an attempt to placate him. Only a few days later with realm now doubled in size, he declared war on his new neighbour, Duke Henrik of Obotritia for the county of Rastoku. It’s population, like most along this end of the Baltic Coast, was pagan. Henrik was a Christian, though not a good one given his moniker of ‘Priest-Hater’.

After assuring that his oldest (and most famous) son Wratislaw’s teachings into the Gods had begun, Sweitopelk III marched out once more.

This war was when he began to boast of his faith and piety as a self-proclaimed ‘protector’ of the Old Slavic ways. He cites in the Rękopis that he wished to ‘protect the Slavic peoples of the land from the onslaught of the Cross.’ Though how much of an ‘onslaught’ they were enduring at the time is up for debate. The High Chief did have a progressively more inflated opinion of himself as time progressed.

The war was a success regardless. The only battle at Waren on the 15 July was a total victory, with few losses taken which does demonstrate that Sweitopelk’s enthusiasm paid off. By the end of the year 1108, the Priest-Hater surrendered the county and thus ended the High Chief’s period of ‘conventional’ expansion.

1629224153751.png

While there was some raiding in Sweden and then later Denmark, by the end of the 1109 Swietopelk III would end his raiding and undergo a complete tonal shift in behaviour. Most historians agree this was because of two factors. First, the news of the successful Crusade against the Shi’a Fatamid dynasty in Egypt. Second, the news of the stumbling Jihad called earlier last year to retake Jerusalem by the Seljuk Caliph.

1629224171713.png

The Catholic world (despite the Antipope Crisis in the Holy Roman Empire raging since 1105 which will feature prominently in the future) was united in celebration. A stark contrast to how Sweitopelk III must have felt.

By now the High Chief must have full well known the threat of the powers around him. They had demonstrated said power clearly – the Catholic faith seemed unstoppable. This was hardly the case as the man would soon learn and later demonstrate himself, but this was certainly the time that Swietopelk III would have begun to realise how exposed he was. By his own warring and raiding he had proved the Pomeranian Pagans could still pose a threat under a skilled leader, or at least an annoyance worth dealing with. Something the Catholic powers would not allow to go uncontested if their attentions turned to the Baltic Coast.

Swietopelk never identifies this as the reason for his change in course. Though most historians agree that for all the embellishment and dismissal in the Rękopis, as Swietopelk III loved to boast, the news of the successful Crusade and failing Jihad in 1109 was when he began to appreciate his situation. As he would demonstrate throughout his life – he would adapt.

Perhaps this was what caused him to visit the Great Temple of Arkona towards the end of 1109. He travelled with a small guard, sporting tribute in gold and asked to be left alone inside the temple with the oracle. Those inside the temple were promptly forced out by this guard and refused entry until Swietopelk was done.

No one knows what was spoken inside the temple, only that the mystery would feed the imagination of artists and writers for centuries to come. When Swietopelk emerged, he refused to speak of what occurred, allowing entry back inside to the other petitioners to see the oracle. Perhaps a moment of weakness that could not be afforded to be seen? Or perhaps an attempt to build his legend through mystery? Regardless, he returned home, apparently satisfied in making the journey.

But his journey to mark himself in history had only just begun.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Hello and welcome to my first attempt at AARing for the better part of like 5 years. This will be detailing the story of my current CK2 game that I figured I wanted to put to writing. I am looking to update it once a week on a Sunday, though I do work fulltime so that may have to be flexible. Regardless, I hope you enjoy reading and if you have any advice, I very much welcome it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow, this is vert well written and exciting to read! Good luck with the AAR, I will follow.

Reactions:
Wow, this is vert well written and exciting to read! Good luck with the AAR, I will follow.
Thank you very much! I am looking to improve my writing and figured this would be a good way to have practice. I am glad that you liked the first post!

• 1Like
Reactions:
A powerful start! Can’t wait to see where this goes!
Thank you for kind words! I have been really enjoying the writing process and am glad that others are enjoying it also. I've been trying to fit to the history book style, but make sure that it does not sound too dry.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Regardless, I hope you enjoy reading and if you have any advice, I very much welcome it.
An excellent start - yes, I did enjoy reading it and liked the style and pacing. No advice, just happy to be along for the ride. :) Interested to see how the reformation goes, having done one for the Germanic pagan faith in my current CK2 game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Welcome to AAR writing! A visit to Old God Pomerania piques my interest. As a fellow first time writer, I have two pieces of advice. 1) Comment on other AARs! This gets your signature in more places so that readers may follow to your AAR. A good place to start commenting would be with the works of the three masters who have commented above: @Bullfilter, @Nikolai and @Eludio. 2) Do not be surprised if in three months that your AAR has a style that you never envisioned. Good Luck and I hope to see you next Sunday.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Welcome to AAR writing! A visit to Old God Pomerania piques my interest. As a fellow first time writer, I have two pieces of advice. 1) Comment on other AARs! This gets your signature in more places so that readers may follow to your AAR. A good place to start commenting would be with the works of the three masters who have commented above: @Bullfilter, @Nikolai and @Eludio. 2) Do not be surprised if in three months that your AAR has a style that you never envisioned. Good Luck and I hope to see you next Sunday.
Thank you! I still have a fair bit to learn about putting all the parts together and I certainly have plenty of AAR's to catch up on. I hope you will all enjoy the next chapter/part of Swietopelk's journey!

• 1Like
Reactions:
This looks like a really cool start to the AAR! I'd be pretty nervous bordering the HRE and Poles. I suppose pushing into Prussia might be your easiest path of expansion since they're very divided and Romuvan instead of Slavic?

If I remember right, aren't the Slavic holy sites fairly spread out? That will be quite the challenge to regain enough to reform the religion!

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is very fun, and I'm excited to see where it goes. (I'm always rooting for the pagans, I can't help it.) Did you use the 1087 start date, then?

• 2Like
Reactions:
This looks like a really cool start to the AAR! I'd be pretty nervous bordering the HRE and Poles. I suppose pushing into Prussia might be your easiest path of expansion since they're very divided and Romuvan instead of Slavic?

If I remember right, aren't the Slavic holy sites fairly spread out? That will be quite the challenge to regain enough to reform the religion!

Thank you very much! I'm glad you like it so far. And yes, it was quite the precarious start and I did have to think on how to make it work without getting squashed. Even into Prussia, you have to be careful with the AI pulling an extra 2000 troops on you.
And you are right, they are spread out over a good chunk of the map and require a lot of conquering, I've played for numerous years and wanted a bit of a challenge.

This is very fun, and I'm excited to see where it goes. (I'm always rooting for the pagans, I can't help it.) Did you use the 1087 start date, then?

Thank you! And yes, I know it would struggle to happen in reality, though turning the tables of history is all part of the fun in these games. As for the start date, it was 1 Jan 1106. Swietopelk III was 19 at start, so I estimated he was born in 1087. Because he has no family tree earlier than himself, I went with the 'lost to time because no one wrote it down' angle. So it's an estimated time he was born.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Oh yes, I see what you mean about Albion here...

A good start. Author character and origins of the history book start established. Trying to revitalise slavic paganism this late into the game is going to be a ride and a half, but should be fun to do.

Will be following (also I really need to start playing ck2 again).

Reactions:
Oh yes, I see what you mean about Albion here...

A good start. Author character and origins of the history book start established. Trying to revitalise slavic paganism this late into the game is going to be a ride and a half, but should be fun to do.

Will be following (also I really need to start playing ck2 again).
Thank you! Yes, I figured it would pose a bit of a challenge. I was half curious with how long it would take me to do.

And yes, I have wondered about doing an IC ‘ask the author/professor’ bit as well. Though I figured it would be better to do that a bit later when more is established, if at all.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Duke Swietopelk III of Pomerania - The Converted (1109-1113)
Duke Swietopelk III of Pomerania - The Converted (1109 - 1113)

'Woe betide our King, for a wolf now rests amongst his sheep.' – An excerpt from correspondence between two Polish lords, unsigned, dated 1111. (translated)

After almost four years of regular war and raiding, the High Chiefdom of Pomerania entered a period of peace and prosperity from the start of 1110. The influx of loot and effective tax collection meant that Swietopelk III had quite the war chest. Exact numbers are hard to gauge, but it was enough to fund the creation and consolidation of his now expansive lands into two further duchies, the Duchies of Rugen and Pomeralia. The High Chief controlled the vast majority of directly, which only enhanced his prestige further.

1629634971705.png

This had not gone unnoticed, least of all by the Holy Roman Empire. The ongoing feud between the Antipope Lucius II, the Pope in Vivers and Pope Paschalis II in Rome since 1105, meant the HRE had not committed any forces to the Crusade for Egypt. Thus, they were in a prime position to invade and expand at Pomerania’s expense. It was only the general disunity and squabbling over papal loyalties that kept the Emperor Henrich IV busy, but we know that an invasion was being floated around by his advisors.

Poland would be the next closest threat. Though they contributed much to the Crusade and lost much in turn, so it would take some time for the levies to be replenished and thus pose a threat.

As murmurs of an invasion trickled in, much of the High Chief’s time was focused on the government of his lands and the writing his famous book and journal. The official title would be ‘Military Strategy, according to Sweitopelk III’, but it became known as ‘The Red Manuscript’ to modern historians. It is described so for its rather plain red cover, devoid of the usual embroidery and decoration seen from other manuscripts of time. The lack of typical decoration highlights it is more personal and private nature and given what would be written within, it is understandable.

The Red Manuscript would be constantly added to throughout the rest of the Chief’s life. During which it would turn into a military treatise of impressive quality and act as a journal for Sweitopelk III and later his heirs. He would recount details of his reign, chronicles of his numerous battles and rise to power. Much later, towards the end of the truly dauting document, he would even begin to document old sagas and legends from his homeland. These are mixed in between various musings and other information and intrigue, making for chaotic reading. While most of what Swietopelk III says must be taken with a pinch of salt, without it we would not know nearly as much as we do now about such a vital figure.

1629635120244.png

The start of 1110 is also the time that Sweitopelk III would begin to delve into another activity he would become well known for among his contemporaries – his feasts. They would last for days and sometimes during peaceful periods weeks. Small in scale, though still featuring an impressive array of meats and alcohol.

There must have also been a personal charisma about him. Despite being more trained for war than for diplomacy, he would often be praised for his abilities as a gracious host. This is shown by Chief Wartislaw, a man he had subjugated only three years ago and was known for his crudeness, became fast friends, with Sweitopelk III going as far as to call him ‘brother’ in the Manuscript.

Which of course made his ‘brother’s’ fate ever more painful to bear.

1629635230798.png

Then, the momentous day came. 7 January 1111 would prove to be one of the days that would live on in fame or infamy, depending on viewpoint. For on this day, the young Duke sent his official request to become a vassal to King Bolesaw III of Poland.

1629635391328.png

Swietopelk III offered his fealty and the conversion of himself and his lands to Christianity in return for being able to keep his lands and titles, proclaiming both his wish to convert and to be offered protection from the HRE. The Polish King requested that the Duke come and pay him homage which he did so and thus on the 22 January 1111, Sweitopelk Gryfita III of Pomerania was baptised in a grand ceremony in Krakow. One of the last major pagan powers in Europe had seen the light.

The most surprising point to consider was the relatively low amount of unrest that such a dramatic move caused amongst the now Christian Duke’s vassals and men. He had made a switch from being a devout pagan to a Catholic remarkably quickly. Though it is important to remember the perceived power of the Catholic Church at the time, despite the Antipapal Crisis playing out between Rome and the HRE since 1105. Even then, one would expect religious rebellion to be abound – yet there was none.

The move made sense pragmatically. As capable as a warrior and commander Swietoplek was, he would have struggled to fend off the armies of even Poland by himself. Any war with the HRE was a forgone conclusion and the destruction of a pagan power would please either side in the papal conflict.

Sweitopelk makes little note of the conversion, though it can be inferred that it had been planned to some degree. There were no revolts within the nobility or peasantry and Chief Wratislaw remained a steadfast friend, though it is ever difficult to know how peasants felt. Temples were torn down and resistance to conversion persisted but nothing that would be a threat to the Duke. Apart from Wratislaw, the Duke owned most of his lands personally, with the minor lords probably having little power or ability to meaningfully protest. It does make one wonder just how much preparation took place during that year of 1110, or what was spoken in the Temple of Arkona, though that is delving into speculation.

A small historical aside; the Great Temple of Arkona, like any religious building of the pagan ways, would be torn down - but the famous 30ft statue of Svetovid was missing. Keep it in the back of your mind.

The fact of the matter was that Switopelk III was now a Christian and a vassal to King Boleslaw. A few weeks later he would become an advisor to the King, which surprised his more longstanding vassals. Despite his conversion, to some he was still seen as untrustworthy, a heathen who only converted to save his own hide.

1629654095118.png

An accusation that was not entirely incorrect. But it brought the King more lands and a vibrant tax base thanks to Swietopelk’s effective administration, which was desperately needed to aid in the financial recovery of the Kingdom from the Crusade for Egypt. There were objections, though King Boleslaw III made it known the matter was not up for debate.

The Duke seemed determined to integrate himself among his new peers, spending much time over the next few months between his court along the Baltic Coast and the court based in Krakow. In the case of the former, he sent out invitations to the other Dukes of the realm for a small feast. Only one, Duke Maciej of Kuyavia would accept. While small, the feast was meant to carry on for weeks. Instead, it lasted only a few days.

1629635732663.png

For war had come to Poland. A war that would twist the future of the country into a completely different direction.

1629638972915.png

Poland was surrounded by enemies just as Duke Sweitopelk III was. To their west the Holy Roman Empire, while not openly hostile was still, in the eyes of its King, the seat of a papal usurper. To their east, the pagan tribes and the Orthodox Kievan Rus. To the south, the Hungarians, a rising power under King Arpad ‘the Mutilator’ of Hungary, who sought gains at their expense.

The mountainous border between the two provided some discouragement against military action, though not enough. In June of 1111, King Arpad made the demand that King Boleslaw pay him tribute or face war. It was considered an outrageous demand as to pay tribute was to become a lesser to someone of equal rank to him – something no King would accept.

The demand was refused, therefore King Arpad made good on his threat. By next month, the forces of ‘the Mutilator’ were marching on Krakow.

Poland was at disadvantage straight away. The capital of Krakow was right on the border with Hungary and while the mountainous terrain was treacherous, it did not take long for it to be surrounded and put to siege. The speed took King Boleslaw by surprise; King Aprad had already mapped a path through the mountains and was certainly expecting the King to refuse. Raising and gathering levy took many months and if the capital could be broken and the King captured, he would be forced to accept whatever terms were imposed for his own safety.

Duke Swetiopelk III answered the call to arms and raised his forces, leading them in person to a rallying point at Santok. By the time the forces were gathered, it was May 1112 and the capital had been under siege for nine gruelling months. Unbeknownst to the Hungarians, King Boleslaw had fled the capital and was now marching from Santok to relieve it at the head of an army.

During the year of preparation, Duke Sweitopelk III would also begin his famous quarrel with one of his peers, Duke Krystyn of Mazovia, the Spymaster of Poland. The distaste for each other would last for years. Sweitopelk despised Krystyn for his lack of faith in God, something he would voice openly and without fear, which endeared him to the more religiously minded among the Court. A model convert, though we can safely say this reasoning was more convenient than sincere. Duke Krystyn, in turn hated how quickly a newly sworn vassal had been given a prestigious position at Court, which was certainly sincere as it was true. The pair would grow to detest each other on a personal level.

1629635968294.png

In the years to come, this rivalry would come to a head. Though for now petty squabbles had to be put aside for war.

With the addition of mercenary forces, the Polish army grew to an estimated 7000 men and began the march to the capital in May of 1112, with Sweitopelk commanding one of the flanks. By the time they would arrive the capital had fell completely to the invading Hungarians, 6000 in total, who had begun to loot and pillage the county. They only regrouped when word came of the large army heading their way.

The forces met in November outside the city of Krakow. After several days of skirmishing, the forces finally clashed on the 24 November 1112. The battle itself was led in person by both the King and Duke Swetiopelk, despite the former’s lack in martial skill. The Duke was later commended for his bravery in battle and effective leadership. The battle was a victory and the Hungarians routed.

Not without cost though.

1629636073639.png

For among the fighting, King Boleslaw was struck down. Sources disagree as to the actual cause of wound, given the chaotic nature of battle. Some accounts say that the King’s horse was killed from under him, throwing him to the ground. Others suggest a blunt force impact from a weapon. Later (and arguably biased Catholic) sources would suggest that Swietopelk III himself struck the blow in an attempt to kill the King. Though most certainly false, it would be a charge levelled at him long after he himself was dead.

Whatever the cause, the King fell into a trauma-induced coma, with a regency declared in his mental absence. Boleslaw III only had one eight-year-old son, Waldyslaw II and so the regency was taken up by the Court Chaplin of Poland, Dobromir. The religious faction would gain much sway over the King in the coming years.

Swietopelk III would go with the army and march into Hungary, starting the process of sieging and beating down any forces that tried to regroup, leading with reported skill and winning every battle he faced.

It was during one such siege, on the 8 February 1113 that a message reached the commanders. The King had died, never waking up at age 26. Waldyslaw II was now King.

1629636198893.png
1629636252722.png

And a young King meant a weak King.

To break the mould briefly, I find that there are various points of history where we wish to be able to see a scene play out in the flesh or see into the thoughts of a person, rather than have them pieced together from sources. I am no exception. It is important to remember that when discussing history, we are talking of real human people - Who felt, thought, and acted as we do today.

What I would give to have been in Sweitopelk III’s proverbial shoes as he learned of the death of his King. How did he react? Better yet, what did he think? The thoughts of the individual are the most private and easily mistranslated source we have as historians. We can only extrapolate from what is found in writing and accounts. This and his meeting with the Oracle in Arkona are two of my such muses.

According to legend, the evening the news had been given to Sweitopelk III, a thunderstorm broke out. His white horse (an animal commonly associated with Svetovid, whose Orcale he had beseeched), was spooked in the process. Thus, another such scene that would be painted countless times over history came to be, however true or false it may have been.

1629623218773.png

'Svetovid's Omen' - Painted in 1826 by Lucjan Pawełe, a Polish Romantic artist

This is impossible to verify of course, though the Duke writes as much in the Manuscript. In which he writes a single line which I feel encapsulates his thoughts on the death of his King, devoid of his usual flowery prose. The starting date of his most famous (or infamous) act yet. 17 February 1113.

'A gift. A sign. There is much work to be done.'

1629636507987.png

Last edited:
  • 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Another very good update! I think Poland was the perfect choice as they're strong enough to protect you but not so strong you can't do anything.

I'll be curious to see how the secret religion goes, and especially if it can spread within Poland at all.

• 2Like
Reactions:
An interesting turn! I’m curious as to how much King Boleslaw’s trust in Sweito’s conversion will have convinced his vassals, now that the good king is no longer there to protect his pagan duke!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another very good update! I think Poland was the perfect choice as they're strong enough to protect you but not so strong you can't do anything.

I'll be curious to see how the secret religion goes, and especially if it can spread within Poland at all.
Thank you! Yes, I figured that less convential expansion was needed to survive when so surrounded by potential foes. We shall see how the secret faith takes hold...
An interesting turn! I’m curious as to how much King Boleslaw’s trust in Sweito’s conversion will have convinced his vassals, now that the good king is no longer there to protect his pagan duke!
And thank you! It came as quite a supirse when poor Boleslaw became incapable. A potential threat and yet potential powerful ally removed from the board and the dynamic of power totally changed. It's these random chance things that I love about CK2.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Another very strong update with an excellent storytelling style.
This had not gone unnoticed, least of all by the Holy Roman Empire.
Uh oh, never good to be noticed by those guys.
Then, the momentous day came. 7 January 1111 would prove to be one of the days that would live on in fame or infamy, depending on viewpoint. For on this day, the young Duke sent his official request to become a vassal to King Bolesaw III of Poland.
Pragmatic under the circumstances, though somewhat demeaning.
Swietopelk III offered his fealty and the conversion of himself and his lands to Christianity in return for being able to keep his lands and titles, proclaiming both his wish to convert and to be offered protection from the HRE.
Wait - what? Nooooooooo! ;)
One of the last major pagan powers in Europe had seen the light.
The horror! The horror!
the Great Temple of Arkona, like any religious building of the pagan ways, would be torn down - but the famous 30ft statue of Svetovid was missing. Keep it in the back of your mind.
… but wait …
Some accounts say that the King’s horse was killed from under him, throwing him to the ground.
Known as ‘doing a Theoden’. :D
Later (and arguably biased Catholic) sources would suggest that Swietopelk III himself struck the blow in an attempt to kill the King.
… there’s more!
What I would give to have been in Sweitopelk III’s proverbial shoes as he learned of the death of his King. How did he react? Better yet, what did he think? The thoughts of the individual are the most private and easily mistranslated source we have as historians. We can only extrapolate from what is found in writing and accounts. This and his meeting with the Oracle in Arkona are two of my such muses.
A nice narrative device. :)
A gift. A sign. There is much work to be done.'

1629636507987.png
Thank you! Yes, I figured that less convential expansion was needed to survive when so surrounded by potential foes. We shall see how the secret faith takes hold...
And more - the worm in the bud approach. I hope it works and look forward to the dynamic at play.

• 2Like
Reactions: