• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fantastic progress, make sure to relieve our comrades in Dunkirk!

Great luck with regards to the failure of the Allied invasion of Italy, hope you'll put those Fallschirmjagers to good use!

Let's have a little competition, shall we? Anyone care to guess on what date and/ore time I'll reach Paris? Closest to the actual date gets a German sausage.

Provided you don't run out of fuel...

January 28th, 1945, that is, in three weeks. :D

Ah, optimistic fools. I do want a fair competition. I'll give you some more information: after the offensives shown in the latest update have finished almost all of those divisions used in the fighting have very low ORG. They recuperate at a rate of 0.50 ORG a day (minimum). There are the unused guard troops in the east that could be used somehow.

How long now till Paris?

Hmm I reckon early march, in fact, you would probably have to do it by then to escape the Allied air power.

That info changes everything Perhaps to stop to recover ORG may give the Allies time to recover and to put a good defensive line, which can make reaching Paris impossible. However, I guess that you have something in store for this situation...

Mmmh... How long...

March 1st, 1945?

I'll be a pessimistic bastard and say: you won't reach Paris. :D

As I said on the previous page, yesterday I played myself three or four times the scenario. In all cases, I got stopped on the way to Paris -one of them at the gates itself, when one of my fast HQ was on the verge to enter into the, apparently, defenceless City of Light.

So I felt inclined to say what Myth has written, but I have put my trust in Robau, who, dunno why, I feel that he's going to defeat the odd that are set against him.

If not, I agree wholeheartedly with Myth!:D

mid March for Paris :)

ps try to push through Strasbourg and Metz to encricle those allied troops in the Ardennes and Luxembourg. This is what I did in my own attempt at this scenario and once those allied divs are gone nothing really stands in your way but oil.

Ghent
January 14th, 1945

war15.jpg

A new shipment of supplies got through, putting the attack on Ghent in overdrive.

Ghent
January 17th, 1945

war17.jpg

Ghent had been taken four days ago. Control over the Belgium coast was almost complete. But the offensive had worn out the soldiers. Offensives were on hold all along the western front. Model had received an order from the Führer himself. He was to execute Operation Westwind as soon as possible. The plan was to move along the Atlantic coast and surround the entire Allied army in Northern France in a massive encirclement. Model dared not disobey Hitler again as he had been lucky the first time. The plan itself was not as flawed as the one to cut through the Ardennes so Model didn't change it. As long as the men got some rest before the next push he was confident he could complete the objective the Führer had laid before him. In order to relieve the overdrawn troops in Liège he had replaced most of the troops with fresh ones from Cologne and the Saarland. The German front wasn't to thick and the Allies had massed a lot of troops in the Ardennes. A breakthrough there he couldn't afford. Miscommunication had left too few troops in Liège itself and when the Allies found out about this they launched an attack. Luckily the fresh troops from Germany managed to repel the attackers and hold on too Liège.

war19.jpg

Ghent
January 27th, 1945

The main offensive was soon to begin. In the east he had arranged a feint attack on Bastogne in an effort to divert the Allied divisions to the Ardennes. The armies in western Belgium hadn't shown much activity since the Ghent was taking and the Americans might see it as if the western route was a decoy. Hopefully they'd sent the bulk of their troops to the Ardennes so Model could march his army along the coast and into Paris without much resistance. The German force attacking Bastogne was large enough to actually win the battle but small enough that it'd wouldn't be a great loss if Bastogne wasn't taken.

war20.jpg

Near Dunkirk
February 2nd, 1945

war21.jpg

The Allies had taken the bait in Bastogne. In the west almost two dozen divisions were heading for Dunkerque. Until now, Operation Westwind was a success! Even better was that the Luftwaffe had managed to free up some new air divisions that were already in the air supporting the feint attack on Bastogne.

war25.jpg

Dunkerque
February 6th, 1945

war23.jpg

Model once again got in the back of his staff car. There was no time to waste, now that they had regained the element of surprise. From both the east and the west German forces were putting pressure on the Allied armies. Soon they would buckle under the strain and cave in. While his own army might be low on supplies as well, the Allied had to be supplied from England. Once cut off from their supply lines the Allied armies in Northern France would have no choice but to surrender or be destroyed. Model knew that all too well, so he was already moving on to Calais, only a day after Dunkerque had been taken. Their would be no rest for a while.

Near Calais
February 8th, 1945

Calais had fallen as easily as Dunkerque. Only battered divisions lay in their path between here and Paris. Model was in a meeting with General Student, when a soldier ran into the tent. He stopped to salute and said: "Herr Field Marshal, we've gotten reports of a British attack on Ghent! The divisions from Antwerp have been delayed and as such couldn't get to Ghent in time to replace the troops moving to Dunkerque. The garrison in the city is on the brink of collapse!" "Alright," Model said while passing on the paper the soldier had handed him. He turned to Student: "Order the divisions in Dunkirk and Ghent to support the attack by the troops already moving from Antwerp." Model left his subordinates behind in the tent and walked outside. While they were busy passing on the orders to the respective divisions Model was eleviated. Nothing could go flawless and the Allies weren't making this very easy on him. He liked a challenge.

Near Calais
February 9th, 1945

war24.jpg

The attack on Ghent had been repelled and German forces were moving in to once again secure the area. In Calais, Model had just ordered his two crack Panzer armies to move onto Paris. The few divisions huddled against the coast in Dieppe and Le Havre would be driven into the sea and the Allied supply lines cut. If all went well he could be in Paris by the end of the week. All looked well. Yet he didn't feel very victorious. As Model stood on snowcovered cliffs of Calais looking over the Channel towards England he realized that they were not yet done. The largest encirclement on the Western Front was going as planned but victory was a long way off. The battle had been won, but the war was far from over. It would be on the Eastern front that Germany's fate would be decided.

war26.jpg

Last edited:
Aww it's over! Glad you won though, good job. Though as Model said, it doesn't feel like a true victory, the allies will be back, and the Russians continue to push west..

Great AAR though, well done! :)

First I want to congratulate Myth and his pessimistic attitude. You've won the German sausage:

64154602.jpg

Paris wasn't possible the way things went. I got the Operation Westenwind order and it was the most logical at the time. With a lot of time and a lot of repositioning I might have been able to reach Paris without going through Calais (which had the last VC the strategic victory event needed). But I'm happy I won. I could've won even earlier probably by taking Brussels but from a historical standpoint it wouldn't made sense. At least now I can claim that I've/I'll cut off the Allied supply lines.

Well this AAR was a great experience for me. It was my first AAR and it taught me a lot about writing these things. It also taught me a lot about the German army and tactics in general. The thing about the German army is that they're almost invincible while they can attack with so many divisions or under such good conditions that they lose little ORG. Once they go to far and get exhausted that's when the Allies have a chance. So not becoming overzealous and letting your German troops rest is the key to victory. And encirclements ofcourse because the AI still can't handle that ;).

I've started work on another battle scenario AAR, namely The Road to Jerusalem. It's an AAR of the Desert Fox: Rommel in Africa. I play as the Germans and try to beat Montgomery this time. Alexandria, Suez, Jerusalem, they will all be mine.

Feel free to keep commenting on this AAR ofcourse.

Nice work.

ps dont be Rommel in the Africa scenario as it is a really quick and easy gam. Much more challenging to be Monty

Nice work.

ps dont be Rommel in the Africa scenario as it is a really quick and easy gam. Much more challenging to be Monty

I chose to play as Germany because I like to do it the way that never happened. Playing as the British would to me be a very boring defensive game. Germany on the other hand is on the attack. Plus I think Rommel is a much more intriguiging character.

First I want to congratulate Myth and his pessimistic attitude. You've won the German sausage:

64154602.jpg
Whoo! That looks quite tasty. Just need some mustard and some relish. :D

I've started work on another battle scenario AAR, namely The Road to Jerusalem. It's an AAR of the Desert Fox: Rommel in Africa. I play as the Germans and try to beat Montgomery this time. Alexandria, Suez, Jerusalem, they will all be mine.
I'm there!