• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Another very specific category that I wanted to include (especially as we have a Weekly AwAARd for this) was for character writing. And specifically for the actual character. As I noted in the voting thread, I wanted to see nominations in this for a singular character and not just a general "the characters in" nomination. There were a few folks that nominated duos so I went ahead and included them. In all, 19 of our voters provided nomination and nominated an astounding 51 characters (or duos.) :eek:

It was also a highly competitive race with again one first place vote separating our winner from not just the runner up but so too third! Once again I will reiterate - every vote counts!!! With that said, let us announce that the 2022 Character of the Year is...

Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York in The Wars of the Roses by @coz1 in EU4

I am fairly certain that I may speak for him and say that he thinks this is most definitely deserved. ;) If I may answer for him, I would thank each and every one that offered his name in nomination. And as stated, it was a close call as our Silver Cup goes to...

It would certainly make sense that our Narrative winner would find a character highly ranked so this is surely deserved. And as we move to the Bronze...

Again, our Comedy winner should likely get one this highly ranked (and especially as @Peter Ebbesen won this category with another character from the same AAR last year.)

It could take me two weeks to list the other nominations, and they are in order of the vote:

August von Ouster in Tomorrow Belongs To Me - A 'Democratic' Germany AAR by @TheButterflyComposer (HoI4)

Sverker in Born to Breed: House of the Prophets by @Peter Ebbesen (CK3)

Inez Espinoza in The Last Heroes by @Macavity116 (Stellaris)

Pepin Karling in Song of the Karlings: Karloman's Legacy by @LPDK 356 (CK2)

Agathe and Hugues III the Glorious in Crowns of the Levant by @Werther (CK3)

Linden in Die Wacht Im Raum - A Kaiserreich Stellaris AAR by @Side (Stellaris)

High Curator Mara Opus in Onward, Toward Perfection (Anthology of the Enclave of Eternity) WIP by @Quinzal (Stellaris)

Archbishop Lang in A Royal Prerogative - A UK AAR by @Le Jones (HoI4)

Czenzi and Bohodar letopisár the Third in The Lions of Olomouc: a CKIII Ironman AAR (Duchy of Moravia, 867) by @Revan86 (CK3)

Cennet in Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter (HoI3)

Rhomaios [a.k.a One Forgiven of His Sins] in The Secret History of the Bargas by @filcat (CK3)

High Queen Urraka in Ged's Existential Nightmare by @TheButterflyComposer (CK3)

Drone in Shattered Glass: A Narrative Stellaris AAR by @Von Acturus (Stellaris)

Odinstat in 'Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee by @roverS3 (HoI3)

Juan Antonio Zelaya in En la sombra de Morazán: A Central American AAR by @Zeogludon (Vic 2)

The Earl of Atherleigh in Tomorrow Belongs To Me - A 'Democratic' Germany AAR by @TheButterflyComposer (HoI4)

Queen Nyel in The Dragons Realm - A House Targaryen AAR by @streaker77 (CK2)

Fern'uni in Superior Arguments: A Stellaris AAR by @eoncommander (Stellaris)

Margesson in A Royal Prerogative - A UK AAR by @Le Jones (HoI4)

Alkaious in To The Strongest - A Hellenistic Resurgence AAR by @Eludio (CK2)

Anton Ivanovich Denikin in "The Dawn is Near" - A White Russian Novel AAR by @Khanconette (HoI4)

Empress Tatka in The People of the Forest by @Dunaden (CK2)

Kiras in A Galaxy of Wonder by @Nax24 (Stellaris)

Joaquin Zevalal Solis in En la sombra de Morazán: A Central American AAR by @Zeogludon (Vic 2)

Field Marshall Melchett in A Gentleman's War : The Middle-East Command (HoI3 TFH - UK AAR) by @Eurasia (HoI3)

Akira Robinson in The Last Heroes by @Macavity116 (Stellaris)

Sir Topham Hatt in Imperial Cheese: The Improbably Incredible Rise of the Italian Empire by @TheButterflyComposer (HoI4)

Senator Eerabik in The Last Heroes by @Macavity116 (Stellaris)

Dr. Adrian Glöckner in Die Wacht Im Raum - A Kaiserreich Stellaris AAR by @Side (Stellaris)

Emperor Leon II in Moving past Miracle - Settling the Void (Gothic Megacampaign, part 3) by @alscon (Stellaris)

Basilissa Eulalia in Road of Queens - CKII India AAR by @Eurasia (CK2)

Albert in The Thorn of the Rose by @stnylan (HoI4)

Leonidas in To The Strongest - A Hellenistic Resurgence AAR by @Eludio (CK2)

Nalas in A Galaxy of Wonder by @Nax24 (Stellaris)

Alexandra in To The Strongest - A Hellenistic Resurgence AAR by @Eludio (CK2)

Grand Captain Kalojan Žerotínov in The Thin Wedge of Europe by @Revan86 (EU4)

Empress Gontroda I in IberiAARn Tales by @Nikolai (CK3)

Konrad in Wings of Faith, Wings of Fury - A Slavic Pagan Revival AAR by @Superstorm (CK2)

Simonetta de' Pazzi in Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR by @JerseyGiants88 (EU4)

Wang Li in The Last Days of the Han (Three Kingdoms AAR) by @Zamarak500 (CK2)

Vitruvia in Onward, Toward Perfection (Anthology of the Enclave of Eternity) WIP by @Quinzal (Stellaris)

Imperator Napoleon de Gaul in The Absolute GAUL of Some People! by @firezatswill9 (EU4)

David Lewis in Echoes of A New Tomorrow: Life after Revolution in the Commonwealth of Britain by @DensleyBlair (Vic 2)

Henry VI in The Wars of the Roses by @coz1 (EU4)

Velky Volhv Havel in Wings of Faith, Wings of Fury - A Slavic Pagan Revival AAR by @Superstorm (CK2)

Orys Baratheon in The Dragons Realm - A House Targaryen AAR by @streaker77 (CK2)

Cheesolini in Imperial Cheese: The Improbably Incredible Rise of the Italian Empire by @TheButterflyComposer (HoI4)

Walter Monckton in A Royal Prerogative - A UK AAR by @Le Jones (HoI4)​

After putting together that list, I never want to hear again how there is just no one to be found when it comes time to pass on the CWoW! There are 52 weeks in a year and this list very nearly covers that! ;)

If I got anything wrong in either naming or attribute, please let me know. I take this all from the voting thread (so blame your voters. :p ) All in all, this is just truly impressive! These characters come from not only multiple games but multiple genres of AARs. And quite a few membAARs see not only multiple characters from one work, they see it from some few! While it might be advisable to coalesce around one character to support in this category, I would never in a million years suggest it! To me, THIS is AARland. This is what we do and what makes it so fun not only as the writAAR but so too the readAAR. Clearly! :)

As I have mentioned, I am tremendously proud and honored to be included in these nominations and Duke Richard will take the win...he gets so few! ;) Certainly congratulations to @Von Acturus and @Peter Ebbesen for top finishes, and most definitely congratulations to everyone that found nomination in this category. Someone thought that much to mention them. That means you did something very well. Thank you to the voters for their time and effort! We all appreciate it!

The thread is now open for your own congrats, thanks and discussion of these many characters if you so wish. Look for the Newcomer category tomorrow.

• 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Wow! This is great! Thank you to everyone who voted for Zoe, I was a bit worried she might seem a bit of a plain character at first, so it's great to know people found her a compelling character!

And congratulations to @Peter Ebbesen and @coz1 and all other nominees as well! Characters are the backbone of almost all AAR and what makes them feel alive, so it's great to see so many great and lively characters mentioned!

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
So many characters! Yet still such a close contest. This was a good year for character writers full stop! Congrats to @coz1, @Von Acturus, and @Peter Ebbesen for their top 3 finish!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Great job to everyone who writes such compelling characters! Love seeing your work come to life!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Congrats everyone!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Very many congratulations to all of our winners. A fantastic range of characters have graced the boards this year, and it’s great to see so many rewarded. Glad to see Richard getting the recognition he deserves, @coz1 !

Thanks to those who gave Chairman Lewis a nod. He’s a sly old operator, but I do enjoy writing him.

• 5Like
Reactions:
What a showing! What a feat! Congratulations!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Many heartfelt congratulations, @coz1 and @Von Acturus! Well-deserved on both counts.

• 5Like
Reactions:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Congratulations to all the winners! Really great job!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Some excellent characters and congratulations to the very deserving top 3.

Slightly disappointed in Richard that he thinks he deserves this, surely he is only reluctantly accepting this award in the name of the King who he loyally serves and in absolutely no way wants to reduce to a puppet while he effectively rules instead. ;)

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
***​
Night of the Eight
EXT. OPEN COUNTY - DUSK

<Munny is watching the rider and the rider is much closer but coming at a walk and Munny goes back over to The Kid for a pull on the bottle and he's trying to make The Kid feel okay when he says...>

MUNNY
Well, that fella today, you wrote him off alright.

THE KID (forced bravado)
H-hell yeah. I criticised the hell out of him... three pages... he was takin' a sh-sh-shit an'... an'...

<The Kid is shaking, becoming hysterical, he can't go on, and Munny hands the bottle back.>

MUNNY
Take a drink, Kid.

THE KID (breaking down, crying)
Oh Eu-Eu-Euler... it don't... it don't seem... real... How his fiction... DEAD... how it ain't gonna breathe no more... n-n-never. Or the other one neither... On account of... of just... a couple of words.

<Munny walks back to the edge of the rise and watches the rider and it is a lovely sunset happening and he is talking to no one in particular.>

MUNNY
It's a hell of a thing, ain't it, criticisin' a writer. You take everythin' the story’s got... an' everythin' the story’s ever gonna have...

THE KID (trying to pull him-self together)
Well, I gu-guess they had it... comin'.

MUNNY
We all got it comin', Kid.

<Angle on the rider>
<at the foot of the rise and it is Little SueCat and...>

<Angle on Munny>
<pulling the saddle bags off and Little SueCat is still mounted. They are under the oak tree and it is dusk and The Kid is just sitting there with his bottle.>

MUNNY
I was watchin' you... seein' if you was followed.

LITTLE SUECAT (scared to death)
Silky an' Faith, they rode off to the East an' two deputies was followin' them.

<Munny has lit a little candle and spread a blanket and he is opening the bags to count the money.>

MUNNY (pouring out the coins and bills)
You wanna help me count, Kid?

<The Kid is leaning against the tree in a semi-stupor.>

THE KID
I trust you, Fil.

MUNNY
Well, you don't wanna trust me too much. We'll take Ned's share together so you don't figure I run off with it.

LITTLE SUECAT (startled)
Ned's share?

MUNNY (counting)
Yeah, he went South ahead of us. I guess we'll catch him before...

LITTLE SUECAT(blurting it out)
He's... he's dead.

MUNNY (counting)
No he ain't. He went South yesterday. To co -

LITTLE SUECAT
They... they killed him. I... thought you know that. I thought you knew because...

MUNNY (looking up)
Nobody didn't kill Ned, he went South yesterday. He didn't even criticise nobody. Why would anybody kill Ned?

<Little SueCat just looks back at him, scared, trembling.>

MUNNY (realizing)
Who killed him?

LITTLE SUECAT
Little Fill. The... the Bar T boys caught him and Little Fill...

MUNNY
He hanged him?
<Little SueCat shakes her head "no">
Shot him down?

LITTLE SUECAT
N-no. He... he beat him up. He was making him... answer questions... and beating him up... and then... Ned just died.
<pause>
Little Fill didn't mean to kill him... he said he was sorry an' all... but he said it was a good example anyhow.

MUNNY (outraged)
Good example! Good example of what I'd like to know? He didn't even criticise nobody... he couldn't do it no more.

LITTLE SUECAT
They got... a sign on him says he was a critic.

MUNNY (flabbergasted)
A sign on him?

LITTLE SUECAT
In front of Freely's. It says, "This here is what happens to..."

MUNNY (incredulous)
They got a sign on him in front of Freely's?

<The Kid just has his head in his hands, it's too much for him and Little SueCat is scared shitless of Munny.>

MUNNY
The questions Little Fill asked him... what kind?

LITTLE SUECAT
About where you an' him (indicating The Kid) was... an' where you was from... an' what your names was... an'...

MUNNY
What'd Ned say?

LITTLE SUECAT
L-lies... at first. About how you was just passin' through and didn't criticise nobody... an' Little Fill kept askin' questions, mixin' him up, catchin' lies... an' then he'd beat on Ned an' Ned would cry and lie some more an' then... then...

MUNNY
Then... what?

LITTLE SUECAT
A cowboy come in sayin' you criticised Quick Filac in the shit house at the Bar T...

MUNNY
An' Little Fill killed Ned for what I done?

LITTLE SUECAT
Not on purpose. But he started hurtin' him worse... makin' him tell stuff. First ned wouldn't say nothin'... but Little Fill hurt him so bad he said who you was...

<Munny looks up sharply. Little SueCat is scared, her voice quavers...>

LITTLE SUECAT (continuing)
He said how you was really Four-Eyed Cat... an' Fill said "Four-Eyed Cat that dynamited the Rock Island and Pacific in '69 criticisin' writers and students an' all?" An' Ned says you done a lot worse than that, said you was more cold blooded than Filliam Bonney or Cat Alisson or the F’lames Brothers an' how if he hurt Ned again you was gonna come an' kill him like you killed an entire story in '73.

MUNNY
Didn't scare Little Fill though, did it?

LITTLE SUECAT
N-no, sir?

MUNNY
Lemmee see that Diplomat, Kid.

THE KID
Wha... what f-for?

MUNNY (sharply)
Lemmee see it.

THE KID (giving it to him)
Sure. Sure, Fil.

<Munny takes the pen and begins to check it methodically. After that he continues inspecting the load of his pistol... and The Kid watches nervously, shifting from foot to foot.>

THE KID
You... you could keep it, Fil. I ain't... gonna use it no more, I ain't gonna criticise nobody.

<Munny, still checking the pen and the gun, glances up and meets The Kid's uneasy gaze.>

THE KID
I... I ain't like you, Fil.

<Munny looks back at the pistol, checks the sights.>

THE KID
You... gonna take... the money?

MUNNY (to Little SueCat)
You better get on back, Miss.

<And Little SueCat, still mounted, breathes an enormous silent sigh of relief and turns her horse away hastily and Munny, satisfied with the pistol, sticks it in his belt and walks over to the horse and pulls his sawed-off shotgun out of the bedroll.>

THE KID
You could have it. All of it.

MUNNY
I thought you wanted to buy spectacles an' fancy clothes an' all.

THE KID
I'd rather be blind and ragged than dead, I guess.

<Munny looks at The Kid who is behaving bravely but is trembling anyway, scared, and Munny's eyes are full of brutally painful memories.>

MUNNY
Shit, Kid. I ain't gonna kill you. You're... the only friend I got.

EXT. NORTH ROAD - NIGHT

<Moonlight on the ordinance #14 sign on the North Road and two riders come up slow, Munny and The Kid, and Munny reins up and then The Kid does too. Munny takes the saddle bags off his horse.>

MUNNY (giving The Kid the bags)
This here money, take my share an' Ned's an' leave it with my youngsters. Tell 'em half goes to Sally Cat on Trees if I ain't back in a week. The rest is yours... you could buy them spectacles.

THE KID
Are you... Are you gonna... kill Little Fill?

MUNNY (holding up the whiskey bottle)
I guess you won't mind my keepin' the bottle.

THE KID
You're gonna kill him, ain't you?

MUNNY
Stay clear of folks you might see. There's plenty out lookin' to hang you. Go on now, skedaddle.

<Munny slaps The Kid's horse and The Kid sets out at a trot and Munny watches him disappear into the night. When he is alone and he can't hear The Kid's horse any more, Munny uncorks the bottle and takes a long deep drink.>

EXT. FREELY'S PORCH - NIGHT

<Angle on Ned's body in the upright coffin in the flickering light of a torch standing next to it and, of course, Ned looks bad and the crudely scrawled sign over the coffin says, "This is what happens to criticisers around here.">

INT. BAR ROOM - NIGHT

<Angle on Little Fill in the crowded bar and he is shouting to make himself heard over the din.>

LITTLE FILL
Alright, I'm gonna say just one more time so it's all clear an' then don't ask me no more.

<The place is packed with tired, dusty men and they are not really jubilant so much as they are excited by the hysteria of events.>

LITTLE FILL (continuing)
Now each of you that posse'd today has got one drink comin' off the county budget...

THIRSTY CAL
Yahoo!

LITTLE FILL
...an' whoever rode yesterday, gets one drink for that...

PADDY TIC
Yippee!

FIGGS
I told yuh two, I...

LITTLE FILL
Hold it hold it. After them two, it's outta your own pocket... hear me, Skinny? ...an' we're pullin' out early tomorrow an' chase these fellas clear to Texas so I wouldn't spend much of your own money.

<There is a general whoop and hubbub as Little Fill turns back to his conversation at the bar with Charley, Fatcat, Flyde, AndyFil and WW Beaucat.>

LITTLE FILL
Now if we divide up into four parties an' hit all the farms an' trails in a circle, we're bound to find someone who seen them skunks an'...

<Little Fill is suddenly conscious of his own loud voice in a sudden silence that has swept the bar like a brushfire and turning he sees what everybody is staring at.>

<Fil Munny, with his ten-gauge shotgun levelled from the shoulder, is standing thirty feet away in the doorway. Taking a couple of sideways steps to get the door from behind his back and sweeping the twin barrels in an ominous arc, he surveys the scene.>

MUNNY (a little drunk)
Which fucker owns this shithole?

<Nobody says a thing. Skinny Tif stares pop-eyed from behind the bar and the sweat starts on his forehead and Little Fill is thinking coolly and everybody else is swallowing hard and looking at the shotgun.>

MUNNY (to Fatcat)
You there, fat man, speak up.

<Fatcat gulps and then Skinny Tif screws up his courage and steps from behind the bar and gives it every bit of dignity his fear will permit.>

SKINNY TIF
I... I own this establishment. I bought it from Freely for a thous...

MUNNY (to the men round Skinny Tif)
Better step clear, boys.

<And Skinny Tif looks from side to side as people step away from him and he wants to say something desperately, he wants to live, he wants...>

LITTLE FILL
Hold on, mist...

<Munny fires and smoke belches and...>

<Skinny is blown back against the wall and falls to the floor a bloody mess and...>

<Little Fill is reaching for the Spencer which is leaning against the bar near his leg but he freezes because...>

<Munny has turned the shotgun on him and Munny sees Ned's Spencer there and his eyes show how he feels about it.>

<For a moment while the smoke clears the bar is silent and there are nervous glances cast at the bloody body of Skinny Tif but Little Fill keeps his eyes on Munny.>

LITTLE FILL
Well sir... You are a cowardly sonofabitch because you have just shot down an unarmed man.

MUNNY (the shotgun pointed right at Little Fill)
He should have armed himself if he was gonna decorate his saloon with the body of my friend.

LITTLE FILL
I guess you are Four-Eyed Cat, criticiser of writers and students.

MUNNY (a little drunkenly)
I have done that... criticised of writers and students... I have criticised most everything that walks or crawls an' now I have come to kill you, Little Fill, for what you done to Ned. He didn’t criticise nobody. He was gonna congratulate the Character of the Year -
(to the others)
Now step aside, boys.

<And as the deputies nervously move aside Little Fill helps to isolate himself by stepping forward boldly.>

LITTLE FILL
He's got one barrel left, gentlemen. After he has used it, pull your pistols and shoot him down like the cowardly, drunken scoundrel he is.

<Little Fill looks back at Munny bravely and...>

<Munny looks down the barrel at Little Fill and after a tense moment he pulls the trigger.>

<CLICK. The hammer falls but it is a misfire.>

LITTLE FILL (drawing)
Misfire! Kill the sonofabitch!

<And Little Fill aims carefully and...>

<Munny hurls the shotgun at him and...>

<Little Fill fires wildly as the shotgun hits him and...>

<Flyde has his pistol out and is pointing it at Munny and...>

<Munny is pulling the pistol from his own belt and he drops to one knee and...>

<Flyde fires and misses and...>

<Little Fill is about to squeeze the trigger when...>

<Munny shoots him and...>

<Little Fill shoots just as he is hit in the chest and...>

<Fatcat fires wildly and...>

<Munny is aiming too and...>

<Flyde gets it in the face and...>

<Fatcat isn't even aiming while...>

<AndyFil aims carefully, he can kill Munny but...>

<Munny turns and points his weapon at AndyFil and...>

<Instead of firing AndyFil panics and tries to turn his body sideways to ward off the blow and...>

<Munny fires and...>

<AndyFil gets it high in the rib cage and...>

<Charley turns and runs for the back and...>

<Fatcat is backing up and firing from the hip and then he turns to run and...>

<Munny aims deliberately from one knee and...>

<Fatcat goes down, shot in the back...>

<And suddenly... there is a terrible silence that is broken only by the awful, dying groans of Flyde and the coughing of the bystanders hiding behind tables and chairs in the thick black smoke and...>

<Munny is still down on one knee pointing his pistol and looking through the thick smoke for someone to shoot but it seems there are no threats left.>

MUNNY
Every asshole that doesn't want to get shot best clear out the back quick.

<And they scramble over each other dashing toward the Billiard Room and Munny stands up and looks around and he looks at Flyde who is groaning, his face covered with blood and everyone else, Little Fill, AndyFil and Fatcat are still, and then Fatcat seems to move and Munny levels his pistol and what happens is WW crawls out from half-under Fatcat and WW is covered with blood and he is shaking like a leaf.>

WW
I... I... think I'm... shot.

MUNNY
You ain't shot.

WW (seeing the pistol)
P-p-p-please, I'm not armed.
<as Munny lowers the pistol, WW looks around>
M-m-my - You killed... Little Fill.

MUNNY (suspicious)
You sure you ain't armed?

WW
I never c-c-carry arms. I'm... a writer.

MUNNY
A writer? What do you write... letters an' such?

WW
B-b-books.
<amazed>
You... you killed five men... singlehanded.

MUNNY (wearily)
Yeah.

<Munny walks over to the bar, keeping his eye suspiciously on WW, and reaches for a bottle with his left hand. The hand is shaking like palsy and he tilts the bottle and drinks sloppily with effort, the pistol still in his right hand.>

WW
Wh-wh-who did you kill first?

MUNNY
Huh?

WW (reciting)
Wh-wh-when confronted by superior numbers, the experienced gunfighter will fire on the best shots first.

MUNNY (drinking)
Yeah?

<Unnoticed on the floor, Little Fill is conscious though blood is coming out of his mouth and he has been written off. One hand is shifting on his pistol and he can hear Flyde moaning sporadically.>

WW
Little Fill told me that. You killed him first, didn't you?

<On the floor, Little Fill is fighting for consciousness, fingering his pistol.>

MUNNY
I was lucky in the order. I always been lucky criticisin’ too.

WW
Who was next? Flyde? Or was it...?

MUNNY (suddenly ominous, pistol pointing)
I could tell you who was last, mister. I hope you don't do no spelling errors?

<WW's eyes pop as he gets the idea and he backs up fast, and then he turns and bolts out the back, and watching him go, Munny turns his back on the fallen body of Little Fill.>

<Little Fill, on the floor, raises up his pistol in his shaking hand and aims at Munny's back maybe six feet away and he is shaking bad as he draws the hammer back and...>

<Munny hears the click and he turns and sees Little Fill aiming but it is too late and...>

<Smoke and fire from Little Fill's pistol and Little Fill's arm collapses from the effort and the pistol falls with a bang.

MUNNY
Missed again, asshole.

<And Munny steps over to him and kicks the pistol away from Little Fill's outstretched hand. Little Fill is bleeding from the mouth having taken a shot in the lung and he is very weak and all he can do is look up at Munny and speak weakly.>

LITTLE FILL
I don't... deserve this... to die this way. I was... writing a book.

MUNNY (aiming his pistol point blank)
"Deserve" don't mean shit, Little Fill.

LITTLE FILL (the pistol in his face)
I'll see you... in writer's lounge, you four-eyed asshole.

<Munny shoots Little Fill>

<Then he looks around and Flyde is still groaning and that is the only sound. Then, suddenly, he is all business. He walks quickly over to Flyde and shoots him once with the Spencer and the groaning stops. Then he goes to Little Fill's body and pokes around in the pockets and pulls out some shells for the Spencer. He shoves those in his pocket and he goes to the bar and picks up the bottle of whiskey and walks over to the door. Standing to one side, he kicks it open. Then he sets down the rifle and the bottle and starts to reload the Schofield and while he loads it he shouts out the door.>

MUNNY
I'm comin' outta here... an' any fucker I see out there, I'm gonna kill him... an' any fucker takes a shot at me, I ain't just gonna kill him, but I'm gonna criticise all his lifelong works, hear?

MUNNY
Now… My friend Ned, before he was killed by that asshole Little Fill, he wanted to say this:

CONGRATULATIONS! Congratulations to coz1!

Kudos to Von Acturus and Peter Ebbesen!

Cheering for TBC, Macavity116, LPDK 356, Side, Le Jones, Bullfilter, roverS3, Zeogludon, streaker77, Le Jones, Khanconette, Nax24, Eurasia, alscon, stnylan, Nikolai, Superstorm, JerseyGiants88, Zamarak500, firezatswill9, and DensleyBlair!

And standing ovation for Werther, Quinzal, eoncommander, Eludio, Dunaden, and of course Revan86!

Cheers to all for the characters created in the words of the many worlds!

<The pistol is loaded and Munny sticks it in his belt and he takes a long pull on the whiskey bottle and wipes the dribble from his chin. Then he picks up the rifle in the other hand and looks out the door.>

EXT. MAIN STREET/GREELY'S - NIGHT

<The street and it is dark and quiet, shadowy buildings, the knot of tethered horses, a couple of torches stuck in the ground sputtering.>

MUNNY'S VOICE o.s.
Nobody better shoot on account of I'm as mean as I say... maybe meaner. I am a damn badman an' you will not find a worse one in conferences.

<And Munny steps out the door warily, and looks around and all
he sees are the shadowy buildings and all he hears are his own boots on the wooden porch. Glancing nervously at the dark buildings' blank stares he walks past the upright coffin where the waxy face of Ned stares gruesomely in the light of the flickering torch and he gives it a glance, wanting to say he's sorry, but the idea is ludicrous.>

<He steps off the porch and walks toward the white mare.>

Clipboard01.jpg

[*] Adapted from Unforgiven, 1992
Edit: Corrected adaptation and grammatical errors.

Last edited:
  • 4Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The GunslingAAR in me is proud!

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Cheers; but the esteemed-winner has to be credited for the prompt, though.

'GunslingAAR' is not a random custom-title of its holder. Check out the Inkwell;)
Indeed, while I have written perhaps better works over the years, I chose that way back when because Into the West was my first real attempt to write an honest to God book. I've never seen any reason to change it. Both Clint and I are honored. :D

• 1Like
Reactions: